|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Question Swing Speed Mystery

I am interested in knowing what my swing speed really is. I was fitted for Ping G2s about three months ago and the goon at Edwin Watts had me on this crappy swing speed monitor that looked like it cost $2 bucks.

He said my swing speed with my irons was 88 mph and that I should add 20 yards to that for determining my Driver swing speed. So that's 108.

I then heard that if you hit a 7 iron 160 yards, your swing speed is 95-100. That would be applicable for me.

Does anyone know of a formula that really works for determining your swing speed. I know that I hit my 7 Iron exactly 155-160 every time. I know the exact loft of the Ping G2 7 iron is 34.25* and the length of the club is 36.75 inches.

Any idea what the formula is?

T

Swing speed is gonna vary per club. Those 2 dollar machines they fit you with at the golf mega store are probably accurate enough.

If your clubs feel good and your ball flight is consistent then you swing speed matches your shafts and that is all a golfer could ever want.

Physics

You could apply some basic physics equations. I do not have them handy, unless you have studied physics or are an engineer, it probably will not make much sense.

I would go to someone else and ask to get your swing speed rated for your 5 iron and your driver. This helps them determine shaft flex categories.

The longer the club, with everything else the same, essentially the club head will be traveling faster, because it is further away from you, and your angular velocity will be the same.

You probably could find some values on with some web searching.

What exactly is the problem ?

Swing speed calculation

Quote Originally Posted by Frogger71
    I am interested in knowing what my swing speed really is. I was fitted for Ping G2s about three months ago and the goon at Edwin Watts had me on this crappy swing speed monitor that looked like it cost $2 bucks.

He said my swing speed with my irons was 88 mph and that I should add 20 yards to that for determining my Driver swing speed. So that's 108.

I then heard that if you hit a 7 iron 160 yards, your swing speed is 95-100. That would be applicable for me.

Does anyone know of a formula that really works for determining your swing speed. I know that I hit my 7 Iron exactly 155-160 every time. I know the exact loft of the Ping G2 7 iron is 34.25* and the length of the club is 36.75 inches.

Any idea what the formula is?

T
    Frogger: I don't know of such a formula, though someone on this list shared last week a link to a golf club distance calculator. That said, my two cents worth on the subject is that it's not a given that we'll have a predictable and constant increase in swing speed as we move upward towards driver in our clubs. Maybe we *can* swing our different clubs at constantly spaced speed gradations as we move from wedges to driver, but I definitely wonder whether we *do*. I seldom swing more than 80% at a driver, for example, because I have a better chance of finding the ball that way, sometimes in the fairway. I may go all out at a 7-iron, though, because it's an easy club for me to hit [reasonably well] and I feel that I can add 5 or more yards just be ramping up a bit.

Honestly, I don't really know if it matters that much...if you swing your driver 95 or 105...that's not really a big deal. Yeah, you'll hit if farther, but you'll still be in the stiff shaft range unless you have a quick tempo, like the feel of stiffer (X-stiff) or weaker (R-flex), or like the ball flight or shot dispersion of other flex shafts. A lot of golf and golf clubs are personal matters...what you like as far as feel and what the shots look like. But, if you just want to know your speed for the fun of it, then it's cool. You could probably figure a formula, but yardage also depends on launch angle...if your hands are ahead of the club at impact (they should be) the loft on your club isn't the loft the club is at...so you'd have to measure that to figure that out. If you hit a certain degree driver but you swing "up" at a teed up ball, it won't play like whatever degree it is as far as formulas go. So, I'd say there isn't a formula, but most people who know things about golf could probably guess pretty closely if you told them how far you hit a driver. And I'm sure their machine is reasonably accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by mikezajac

P.S. If anyones knows Sharon Williamson of 2404 Lakeshore dr in Flower Mound
    Texas 75028 tell her,,,, I love her. Thank you
    If you really loved her, you wouldn't post an address so every freak on the Net could find her, now would you? I hope she has a fast swing speed to keep the goons off...

Thread Information