|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

New to the site...Greetings..

Stumbled across this site in trying to find reviews for the NXT Tour ball. Hello to all. 40 yr old recreational golfer that can shoot a low 90 score with ease. At times I will dial up a 85 and other times I look like a moron and shoot a 95. I can trace the difference back to the short game, 125 in to be more exact. I want to really take that next step and be a 80s shooter all the time so I am beginning lessons with a local pro on the 125 in game. I am looking forward to this....

Guess I have an initial question for the pros here...How many wedges do you carry? And why?

Currently I have my pitch (46*) a gap (50*) and a 54*....Is there a need for a 58 or 60? Does it matter?

Thanks to all for any suggestions and input. And oh yeah, if youve played the NXT tour, what do you think? I dont wanna fork over $40 for a dozen and Im looking for a nice ball with some control and stop ability. (in other words, I have 3 daughters and Im an ATM to them so Im on a budget)

Have a nice weekend to all and I look forward to any input. If Ive failed to give some information that would help please let me know.

I have used the old NXT ball before but not the new one. I found the old NXT to be a bit clunky feeling off the tee and stopped using it shortly there after. The next ball I am going to try is the Top Flight D2 series. I have heard great things about these balls incuding the price they have at $15 a dozen.

About the wedges I think it is a personal preference which to use. If you want to stay with the 14 club max in your bag then selecting the wedges that work best for you is the key. I like using a 60 but I only use it for about 3 to 6 holes per round. The 60 really shines when you need to carry over a hazard and then sit on the green without much roll off. Bunker shots are another area where the 60 proves to be a viable option due to the higher loft and less roll afterwards. Short fairway chips with a 60 may prove to be more of a head ache than producing great results. "Keep it low and you make the dough, hit it high and you will cry" was quoted by Gary Player. So when ever you can keep it low this is generally the best option.

May the schwarts be with you.

And yes my schwarts is as big as yours.

1nspire
    Driver: TM R7 425 w/ Fujikura Reax 65S
    3 Wood: Mizuno MP-001 15* w/ Exsar 60S
    5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001 18* w/ Exsar 60S
    Irons: Mizuno MP-37 3-PW Project X 5.5
    Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54*
    Cleveland: 588 56* & 60*
    Putter: Yes Tracy II

Good to see you posting Lord.

The Top Flite D2 FEEL is the first ball you should try.

Second would be the Wilson Staff 50/50. This is a ball that is designed for a slower swing speed. If you swin to fast for the ball you'll know it off the driver because you will be able to see the ball change shape and pretty much go flat. Seriously.

I carry 4 wedges.

PW 46º ( I think)
    GW 52 º
    SW 56º
    LW 60º

Of course a 58 or 60 is not NECESSARY. And to be honest, I dont think many consistent 90's shooters should be carrying a LW unless they are very good around the green and could really use the extra hight. It's a tough club to hit, and hit well. Most people are better off using something like a 7, 8, or 9 iron around the green, and a 56º for the shots with little green to work with. Bad things can happen quickly with a 60º.

Maybe you should buy a very cheap used wedge from the bargin bin at your local golf outlet and play around with it an see what you think.

Oh, I play 52,56,60 because that's what I have always done. It works for me so I don't see a need to change.

52= 107 yards
    56=100 yards
    60= I don't know, I dont hit full shots with the 60. 60 yards is probably as far as I will ever hit it.

Sincerely,

JS
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Top Flite?

Thanks for the note(s)....

You are about the 5th person to recommend this ball. Had 2 store reps (2 different retailers) tell me that the D2 feel is just an awesome ball for someone of my ability. Good distance and good greenside behavior. 1 of the clerks told me to expect 2 things when playing it:
    1. Your buddies will laugh at you on the 1st t-box when you pull it out to play
    2. By the 4th hole at least 1 of them will be asking you if they can borrow 1 to play with.

Interesting.....I guess at $15.99 for a 15 pack I can swing them and see what I think.

Have you played them 'holic? Guess thats why you recommend them I suppose. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    Thanks for the note(s)....

You are about the 5th person to recommend this ball. Had 2 store reps (2 different retailers) tell me that the D2 feel is just an awesome ball for someone of my ability. Good distance and good greenside behavior. 1 of the clerks told me to expect 2 things when playing it:
    1. Your buddies will laugh at you on the 1st t-box when you pull it out to play
    2. By the 4th hole at least 1 of them will be asking you if they can borrow 1 to play with.

Interesting.....I guess at $15.99 for a 15 pack I can swing them and see what I think.

Have you played them 'holic? Guess thats why you recommend them I suppose. Thanks.
    I have, I bought a box waaayy back in..November when the snow was high.

Played them at the start of the year. Good overall ball. I think I did a full review and posted it on another forum I will have to do some digging for you.

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    I have, I bought a box waaayy back in..November when the snow was high.

Played them at the start of the year. Good overall ball. I think I did a full review and posted it on another forum I will have to do some digging for you.

That was hard

http://www.shottalk.com/forum/equipm...el-review.html\

Many comments on the ball in that thread.

Thanks!

I guess for $10 cheaper I will try them out! Still got lots of golf time this year in Ohio!

Appreciate the help!

Welcome to the site.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Welcome to the site.
    Many thanks! Glad I found it.

Forgot to add, someone else recommended these. They get good reviews here as well..

http://www.globalgolf.com/product/go...spx?gd=2&uom=3
    Last edited by Lord Helmet; 10-20-2007 at 05:25 AM.

Many thanks! Glad I found it.

Forgot to add, someone else recommended these. They get good reviews here as well..

http://www.globalgolf.com/product/go...spx?gd=2&uom=3
    IMO those feel heavy coming off the driver and suck durability wise.

To each his own.

D2's are a buck a ball, were as premium balls are 5-6 bucks a ball. D2's are def worth it.

Sincerely,

JS

I got both

Got 2 doz TA2 SPN Nike off ebay for 25.00 and I also went to a local retailer today and got a 15 pk of the TopFlite D2 Feel. Will try them both out later this week or next when I get my last rd or 2 in.....

Will also prolly mix in a sleeve of NXT Tour as well just to see what I think of all 3...

I'm new to the forum, and I'm also from Ohio. You should post your official golfer profile!

As for the NXT Tour, I like them. With Driver, they don't seem to have excessive spin, so I haven't had any more trouble with wayward shots than with any other ball I've tried. With Irons, particularly shorter irons, they seem to sit very well on the green for me.

However, I prefer not to spend $25/dozen on new golf balls, so I've bought them used. However, I think I'm going to lean toward new balls on which I can find good deals. Examples are Precept Laddie X, Dunlop Super Loco, etc. RockBottomGolf.com is usually the first place I look. They also have an eBay Store.

No, I do not work for Rock Bottom Golf, but I have given them some business...
    TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Driver
    Alpha V5 16* Hybrid
    Orlimar H830 19* and 22* Hybrids
    Mizuno MX-19 4-GW
    Mac Tour Bounce SW OR Snake Eyes Viper SW
    Maltby Max Moment Putter

Quote Originally Posted by bassplayer7770
    I'm new to the forum, and I'm also from Ohio. You should post your official golfer profile!

As for the NXT Tour, I like them. With Driver, they don't seem to have excessive spin, so I haven't had any more trouble with wayward shots than with any other ball I've tried. With Irons, particularly shorter irons, they seem to sit very well on the green for me.

However, I prefer not to spend $25/dozen on new golf balls, so I've bought them used. However, I think I'm going to lean toward new balls on which I can find good deals. Examples are Precept Laddie X, Dunlop Super Loco, etc. RockBottomGolf.com is usually the first place I look. They also have an eBay Store.

No, I do not work for Rock Bottom Golf, but I have given them some business...
    I played EagleSticks this summer! Small world. Thx for the info.

I played EagleSticks this summer! Small world. Thx for the info.
    EagleSticks is the nicest course I've played. I also loved the GPS. However, it is not my home course as it may appear. I don't really have a home course. In fact, I haven't played any course more than once so far this year...

Where in Ohio do you live?
    Alpha V5 16* Hybrid
    Mizuno MX-19 4-GW
    Maltby Max Moment Putter

EagleSticks is the nicest course I've played. I also loved the GPS. However, it is not my home course as it may appear. I don't really have a home course. In fact, I haven't played any course more than once so far this year...

Where in Ohio do you live?
    I couldnt figure out the GPS thing so I just let it ride.....ha

I live in Cincinnati. You?

Every summer I am close to Eaglesticks at a retreat for the field I am in. 3 days of golf and work, if we get around to it..

Another Ohio resident here. I'm in Cincinnati.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I live in Cincinnati. You?

Every summer I am close to Eaglesticks at a retreat for the field I am in. 3 days of golf and work, if we get around to it..
    I live near and work in Columbus.

In June, I went on a golf trip to Eastern Ohio with a group of guys including my Father-in-Law and Bro-in-Law. Our first round was EagleSticks on the way to the cabin. What a great way to start the trip! I also played Salt Fork that week, which is a difficult course, but it was cool. Honorable Mentions from that week include River Greens and Crystal Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Another Ohio resident here. I'm in Cincinnati.

Holy Buckeyes! Live in Fairfield and work in Lebanon.

I live near and work in Columbus.

In June, I went on a golf trip to Eastern Ohio with a group of guys including my Father-in-Law and Bro-in-Law. Our first round was EagleSticks on the way to the cabin. What a great way to start the trip! I also played Salt Fork that week, which is a difficult course, but it was cool. Honorable Mentions from that week include River Greens and Crystal Springs.

I hit your part of the world on occasion. Tomorrow I am by the airport for a meeting. In December I am at Easton for the better part of a week. In the summer (where I earlier referenced) I am at Cherry Valley Lodge in Newark.

Small world. Looks like there are 3 Ohioans here. The Buckeye golf nation! lol

I hit your part of the world on occasion. Tomorrow I am by the airport for a meeting. In December I am at Easton for the better part of a week. In the summer (where I earlier referenced) I am at Cherry Valley Lodge in Newark.

Small world. Looks like there are 3 Ohioans here. The Buckeye golf nation! lol
    Maybe sometime we can meet up for a round. I also have some family that lives in Newark.

I'm an Ohio State grad, so I'm proud to be a Buckeye.
    Alpha V5 16* Hybrid
    Mizuno MX-19 4-GW
    Maltby Max Moment Putter

Maybe sometime we can meet up for a round. I also have some family that lives in Newark.

I'm an Ohio State grad, so I'm proud to be a Buckeye.

For sure! Keep posting and feel free to PM me anytime. You too Horseballs (thats hilarious by the way). Maybe we can all 3 sneak away from work sometime and play 36!

I'm in Mt. Lookout. East Side!!!!
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

For sure! Keep posting and feel free to PM me anytime. You too Horseballs (thats hilarious by the way). Maybe we can all 3 sneak away from work sometime and play 36!
    You THINK it's hilarious, but it's awfully tough to walk with these things.
    We'll absolutely have to get out for some golf. I just played a round with Queencitygolfer, so that's 4.
    Where do you play? Fairfield, Glenview, Walden, the Mill Course? If you say Weatherwax, your stock will go through the roof.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

You THINK it's hilarious, but it's awfully tough to walk with these things.
    We'll absolutely have to get out for some golf. I just played a round with Queencitygolfer, so that's 4.
    Where do you play? Fairfield, Glenview, Walden, the Mill Course? If you say Weatherwax, your stock will go through the roof.
    I have played all of them EXCEPT Weatherwax. Just havent made it there. Its not too far from me. I like Blue Ash as well. Hamilton Elks is another I want to hit.

I have played all of them EXCEPT Weatherwax. Just havent made it there. Its not too far from me. I like Blue Ash as well. Hamilton Elks is another I want to hit.
    Blue Ash has to be the best course for its relatively low greens fees. Hamilton Elks was a disappointment, but I've only ever played 2 of the 3 nines. Think super short with average maintenance. Plus I was behind a foursome whose combined age had to be about 350.
    You have to get out to Weatherwax. When I was in Oxford, that was my course of choice. Now it's well over an hour away and I never feel like driving out there.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Blue Ash has to be the best course for its relatively low greens fees. Hamilton Elks was a disappointment, but I've only ever played 2 of the 3 nines. Think super short with average maintenance. Plus I was behind a foursome whose combined age had to be about 350.
    You have to get out to Weatherwax. When I was in Oxford, that was my course of choice. Now it's well over an hour away and I never feel like driving out there.

Have had a tough time getting on at Blue Ash, but its a real nice course. Elks. LOL. True. Bunch of my dads buddies are members there and I think your assessment of aggregate age per group is spot on.

Like the new 9 at Glenview, more open and a links feel IMO. But the original 18 is nice, too. Sharon Woods is decent IMO as well for a parks course.

Really nice course in Columbus is The Golf Club of Dublin. Links setup. I play in an outing there every August. It was nice and hot this year. Sigh...

My office is right next to Harmon Golf Club in Lebanon. Often at lunch I go over to their putting/chipping green and practice. They dont mind.
    Last edited by Lord Helmet; 10-23-2007 at 12:14 PM.

Speaking of Ohio golf courses, are you guys familiar with this site? Feel free to submit your reviews! I read and submit reviews on that site often.

http://www.ohiogolf.org/html/courses_listing.asp
    Alpha V5 16* Hybrid
    Mizuno MX-19 4-GW
    Maltby Max Moment Putter

Speaking of Ohio golf courses, are you guys familiar with this site? Feel free to submit your reviews! I read and submit reviews on that site often.

http://www.ohiogolf.org/html/courses_listing.asp

Thanks for the linky bassplayer!

Thread Information