|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

2 Clubs + Putter

I played 9 this past Saturday with 2 clubs and a putter. I used a 5 and 9 iron. It's actually a pretty good way to work on shotmaking and course management.
    What clubs would you use in this scenario?
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

2 hybrid (16*)
    7 iron
    Last edited by LyleG; 10-02-2007 at 01:49 PM.

5 iron, Pitching wedge
    Last edited by MTibbo; 10-03-2007 at 01:39 PM.
    Hoofer Vantage:

905R
    906F2
    695.cb
    G2i Anser

Tour 360 II

Someone is directions challenged.

He said 2 clubs + a putter, not 3 clubs and putt with something that isnt a putter.

Reading comprehension is a skill, develop it.

i played 9 today with a 5 iron and a 56 degree wedge and putted with my 5...8 over ...had 2 par puts made 1 thank god for my 56....will not take it next time it bailed me out to many times...from the blues

Thanks for handling my light work, Lyle. I think it would be a bad idea to not include a putter, even if it was allowed, which it's not.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I'd use a 56 degree wedge and a 7 iron.
    Ping i3+ Irons
    Callaway Forged SW 56
    Snake Eyes 460 Driver 11.5
    Titleist 975F 16.5
    Ping G2 Putter

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    I use a sand wedge, lob wedge, and putter. I can blade the sandwedge off the tee and get about 250+, then i can jump on the lob wedge from inside of 190. if i miss a green (fat chance) i'm covered!
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

I'd take a 5 iron and a 52* Gap wedge. This covers the spread as you get a lil extra outta the 52* but still a wide variety of shots with it.
    Driver---Callaway X460 10* Stiff
    5 Wood--- Titleist 904 Fuji Speeder Stiff 19*
    Irons--- 3/Pw Cobra 3100I/H
    Wedge--- 52* Cleveland 588 DSG oilcan
    Wedge--- 56* Cleveland Cg11 Chrome
    Putter--- Odyssey Whitehot #9 (Philly Micks)
    Ball--- ProV1x or Callaway HX Tour

I like this idea. I have played rounds with irons only before and enjoyed them. A buddy of mine basically plays this way. Driver, 7 iron, putter or driver, pw, putter. He is horrible with any other iron.

My choices would be 6 iron, 54 and putter. I can hit my 5 farther but I can use my 6 better around the green as well as my 54.
    Driver: TM R7 425 w/ Fujikura Reax 65S
    3 Wood: Mizuno MP-001 15* w/ Exsar 60S
    5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001 18* w/ Exsar 60S
    Irons: Mizuno MP-37 3-PW Project X 5.5
    Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54*
    Cleveland: 588 56* & 60*
    Putter: Yes Tracy II

i would take a 6i, and a 56*... i figure i can deloft the club enough to be a 3i or 2i i think it'd be a little easier to back off with a 6i than a 4i or 5i... wedge i think for obvious reasons so i think thatd cover me well enough itd be tough though...

Easy one.

19 degree hybrid and 8 iron. Full 19H - 265. Pitch swing the 19H on anything down to 175, then 8I from there in. I'm still getting home in two on most 5's. Phooey on the long par 3's. Up and in for par.

The 19H actually is everything from 5W-6I if you want it to be. What a versatile f'n club.
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Interesting thread.

I would have to say 6iron and 56wedge.

I can believe how many people would take a 56* wedge. Take a 7 iron and learn to hit some shots. It will give you twice as many options especially from farther out. I can hit my 7 iron 180 yards with a low trap draw, and easily chip and hit it out of the sand if need be. The 2h would cover everything else, especially the long par 4 and 5's.
    Some of yuo are pure kuncleheads. Its seems that the only guy on this site with a clue (other than me) is FON.

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    I can believe how many people would take a 56* wedge. Take a 7 iron and learn to hit some shots. It will give you twice as many options especially from farther out. I can hit my 7 iron 180 yards with a low trap draw, and easily chip and hit it out of the sand if need be. The 2h would cover everything else, especially the long par 4 and 5's.
    Some of yuo are pure kuncleheads. Its seems that the only guy on this site with a clue (other than me) is FON.
    First of all, in what bizarro world is 16* considered a 2 iron. Second, my method is obviously superior. 5 iron + 9 iron + putter. Everyone else is a moron.
    Thread closed!
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

The two main courses I play are designed with a greater emphasis on shot placement. One is completely woodlined and the other has water on almost every hole (near a swamp). They both have a lot of doglegs and forced layups with guarded greens. Only a few long par 4's. Getting there in regulation with two 6 irons is doable for most holes, but I would expcet to find myself missing more greens than usual with this format. I feel more comfortable around the green with a 56*, and I have good distance control with it from 120 on in (less chance for blowup holes).

If I was on a longer course, an open course, or a course where the greens aren't that guarded then I might go with my 16* hybrid and some iron in the 7 to PW range.

The point is I would use different setups for different courses.

A wedge is always a good option because it is a scoring club. A wedge is much more versatile around the green. Gonna be difficult to use a 7 iron for a lob shot, deep bunker shot, or chipping to a shortsided flag.

Factors to consider:

1. Longest par 3
    2. Longest forced carry from the tee
    3. Smallest differential between tee & off the turf/light rough shots

1 & 2 will have to the determining factors in the 1st(Long club) selection. If there is a huge difference(>30 yrs) between 1 & 2, you are screwed unless you are a pro(I know a course that has this issue). Normally most courses this will be less than 20 yards within a 9. 3 might seem ridiculous, but strong iron players know what I mean here.

4. Most versatile club in your hand
    5. Shortest par 3 to reach or cross any hazards

4 & 5 can be very tricky as they may not always work together.

So for a local muni I play during weekday, my selection would be
    4 iron & PW

For the Regular course I play:

Cleveland LDI 21* & 8 iron

Another fun game is called bag raid. It's usually played by 2-man teams in a foursome, but I'm sure it could be played 1 on 1. When a team wins a hole, the other team gets to take a club out of the winner's bag. We usually exempt the putter. If your team is winning a lot, you end up with about 4 clubs. Since the other team gets to choose the clubs you lose, you end up teeing off with your longest club left, which could be a 9 iron. Lots of fun.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Definitely be a 5 iron & PW.
    Might take me awhile on the par 5's but would be ok on the shorter par 4's.

I think most people would have to take a long iron and a sand wedge or at most a gap wedge. I think pitching wedges these days have been too de-lofted to be viable out of the sand. The extra loft and blade design of a GW/SW gives more options around the green too.
    I'd probably have to go 5 iron & 52GW at my home course (longest water carry only 150 metres).
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

If you a no tell me the course, I a no tell you my two clubs. That said, we play a tournament every year with 5 iron only (no putters). It's a blast. With experience now under my belt, I've tried to hustle this but no success yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    If you a no tell me the course, I a no tell you my two clubs. That said, we play a tournament every year with 5 iron only (no putters). It's a blast. With experience now under my belt, I've tried to hustle this but no success yet.
    You are outthinking this. Let's say it's a course you've never seen before and it's between 6500 - 6900 yards long. Which 2 clubs give you the most coverage in distance and best opportunity to score well?
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Just because he agrees with you he has a clue, maybe people dont agree with your opinion either...ever think about that??? And people are going to choose different clubs because of the type of course they play on........maybe your the one without a clue
    Hoofer Vantage:

905R
    906F2
    695.cb
    G2i Anser

Tour 360 II

hybird and a pitching wedge, but if you dont choose these clubs I wont call you a knuckle head....
    Hoofer Vantage:

905R
    906F2
    695.cb
    G2i Anser

Tour 360 II

Thanks for setting me straight there big guy.

Now look in the mirror and say hello to the douchebag.

My draw driver and my fade driver.

Quote Originally Posted by SeldomInTheSlot
    My draw driver and my fade driver.

Now heres a man who gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by MTibbo
    Just because he agrees with you he has a clue, maybe people dont agree with your opinion either...ever think about that??? And people are going to choose different clubs because of the type of course they play on........maybe your the one without a clue

There's a very good reason Lyle agrees with me, and it is something like this - if you are only allowed to carry 2 clubs and a putter, common sense would tell you to take your most versatile long game club and your most versatile short game club. If golf was a sport which only allowed 2 clubs and a putter instead of 14 clubs, can't you see where it would be to your advantage to use a club for long/low shots and a club for short/high shots? There's no reason for those two clubs to be specialized - since you only have two they need to be versatile.

Of course, it would force players to make smarter decisions out on the course - finding good places to miss it and hitting the appropriate shots to encourage those particular misses, if you miss at all. You'd have to play an awful lot of dumb shots to find greenside sand enough to need a high bounce wedge. Play away from trouble and you'll minimize your encounters with it.

I'm not going to call anyone names if they don't agree with me, but if you want a 2-club/putter match like this with me, I'll gladly play you for money. Bring lots. I get hungry when I'm winning.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    You are outthinking this. Let's say it's a course you've never seen before and it's between 6500 - 6900 yards long. Which 2 clubs give you the most coverage in distance and best opportunity to score well?
    I'm Italian. I couldn't outthink something if my life depended on it. OK, assuming not alot of run up opportunities, I'd take 5 wood, 9 Iron. That would buy me 400 yards between the two clubs with each offering alot of other options around the greens. If it were Bandon Dunes, give me driver, 7 iron. I'll hit the Driver off the deck if I need to on those par 5-s.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I'm Italian. I couldn't outthink something if my life depended on it. OK, assuming not alot of run up opportunities, I'd take 5 wood, 9 Iron. That would buy me 400 yards between the two clubs with each offering alot of other options around the greens. If it were Bandon Dunes, give me driver, 7 iron. I'll hit the Driver off the deck if I need to on those par 5-s.

Lorenzo, lorenzo....

When you're on a course and someone yells FORE in your direction, you're supposed to turn away and cover your head - this isn't soccer - you shouldn't try a header into the cup.

You could damage your brain like that. Then wonder how some French fishing boat found you floating in the Mediterranean, and rescued your drowning @$$. Thank the captain for surgically removing the golf ball from your cranium. Who wears a golf score clicker on their hip pocket? That's where the captain found it. Had some sort of monogram attachment with the name of a golf course and a locker number, I guess. Who keeps 15 bogus handicap cards, three dozen pink Star-Flites, and an 11-wood in their locker? Who gives a beer cart girl $50 worth of golf vacation coupons to drive them to Pebble Beach so they can find out that they're some chopper member of a club named Hackstone? You're a malfunctioning $15000 golf experiment, soldier. It's all coming back now...

The Lorenzo Identity. Now playing in adjacent fairways everywhere. Contact your local emergency response unit for more details.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    Lorenzo, lorenzo....

When you're on a course and someone yells FORE in your direction, you're supposed to turn away and cover your head - this isn't soccer - you shouldn't try a header into the cup.

You could damage your brain like that. Then wonder how some French fishing boat found you floating in the Mediterranean, and rescued your drowning @$$. Thank the captain for surgically removing the golf ball from your cranium. Who wears a golf score clicker on their hip pocket? That's where the captain found it. Had some sort of monogram attachment with the name of a golf course and a locker number, I guess. Who keeps 15 bogus handicap cards, three dozen pink Star-Flites, and an 11-wood in their locker? Who gives a beer cart girl $50 worth of golf vacation coupons to drive them to Pebble Beach so they can find out that they're some chopper member of a club named Hackstone? You're a malfunctioning $15000 golf experiment, soldier. It's all coming back now...

The Lorenzo Identity. Now playing in adjacent fairways everywhere. Contact your local emergency response unit for more details.

FON
    It's nice to share this site with someone as creative as you, who may also be as nutty as me.

daveperk Guest

$0.02 worth

19 hybrid, 8 iron, putter.

Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    19 hybrid, 8 iron, putter.

See? Guys who can score know their $h!t.

I like this guy already.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

I guess I'll resurrect this thread...

Long club: This would be a difficult decision, but I'd likely go with my 3-hybrid. It would give me the distance I'd need off the tee, and it can be useful around the green as well. However, it was tough to choose between my hybrid, 2-Wood, and 4-iron.

Short iron: 7-iron. That was the club that came immediately to mind.
    TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Driver
    Alpha V5 16* Hybrid
    Orlimar H830 19* and 22* Hybrids
    Mizuno MX-19 4-GW
    Mac Tour Bounce SW OR Snake Eyes Viper SW
    Maltby Max Moment Putter

daveperk Guest

I don't know $h!t, but I know a bit about golf.. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    See? Guys who can score know their $h!t.

I like this guy already.

FON
    I will stick with my original choices...

a) a 19 hybrid, plays like a 2 iron all the way down to a 5 iron.... up to 225 off the tee makes most par 4's at least playable but still gives you long and mid iron options with chokedown..

b) an 8 iron, can hit 150+ and can be laid open for something like a flop...

And the putter, to try to save the round with a few snakes.. :-)

Thread Information