|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Importance of shafts in wedges

I have questions regarding shafts in wedges.

A bit of background.

About two years ago I set myself up with a bag full of cleveland clubs including 588 wedges 51* & 56*. Later I added a 60* wedge but only carry it sporadically as I don't need it that often and it tends to add shots to my card more often than it saves me shots.

The 51* & 56* have been staples in my bag and are my scoring clubs inside 100 yards. I also use the 51* for most of my short game chipping etc around the green.

I was playing with Ta 6 irons with TT actionlite shafts for the past two years but I have recently upgraded to Taylormade R7 TP with TT DG R300 shafts and I'm really enjoying them. Shot 81 today. 45 in the front (hopeless) and 36 in the back. I am finding the DG shafts great but I find the shafts in the wedges a little inconsistent. What I am wondering is should I match the shafts in my wedges to those in my irons?

I believe the TT shafts in the wedges are cheap because they began showing specs of rust within the 1st year I owned them and are now really quite badly rusted (they are genuine as I bought them from an authorised Cleveland dealer).

Also they seem to be quite soft shafts. A friend of mine has a Vokey 56* that he uses inside 100 yards as he doesn't have a gap wedge. He uses his 56* from the same distance that I often use my 51*. When I try to use my 56* from the same distance (or even closer) than him my shots tend to go straight up in the air and come up a mile short. It may just be my swing but we hit pretty similar distances with every other club in the bag.

So my questions:

1. will better quality shafts in my wedges match them up more closely to the rest of my irons?

2. is there any chance of the rust on the shafts of my wedges spreading onto my precious new irons? (if so that is a good enough reason in itself to re-shaft them!)

All expert comments and advice welcome.

I'm a 14 handicap but aiming to be a 9-10 this summer if I can get my putter working!

Unlike a lot of the posters here I don't believe that a change in shafts/equipment in general will have any effect on your game for the long haul. You may improve at first just because it's new. If the wedges you mention are high end then they likely have very good shafts to begin with and no amount of changing them will make much difference in your scoring.

Your lack of consistency with the wedges is most likely due to not enough practice (people hate to hear that) or improper excecution.

At your level of skill you're just beginning to develop a feel for the proper swing and shots. Before I started messing with shafts and such I'd make sure that what I was doing was correct first (and please don't say you already know what you're doing is right-if that were so you'd be near scratch or better).

Still if you have the money and don't mind then I'd still say go ahead and change the shafts. I still don't think that's the problem though.

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    Unlike a lot of the posters here I don't believe that a change in shafts/equipment in general will have any effect on your game for the long haul. You may improve at first just because it's new. If the wedges you mention are high end then they likely have very good shafts to begin with and no amount of changing them will make much difference in your scoring.

Your lack of consistency with the wedges is most likely due to not enough practice (people hate to hear that) or improper excecution.

At your level of skill you're just beginning to develop a feel for the proper swing and shots. Before I started messing with shafts and such I'd make sure that what I was doing was correct first (and please don't say you already know what you're doing is right-if that were so you'd be near scratch or better).

Still if you have the money and don't mind then I'd still say go ahead and change the shafts. I still don't think that's the problem though.
    They are high end wedges but I still think the shafts are at the cheaper end of the scale. Why else would they be so rusted after less than two years? My Dad has 15 year old clubs that haven't got a speck of rust on them.

But you're right, in general they work fine for the types of shots required. Only on full swings I wonder if a better shaft would be more consistent with the rest of my irons.

How much does it really cost to replace one shaft to put your mind at rest? If the new shaft is better than replace the rest. If not it's your swing or bad execution, or something else, you'll have your answer.

If the shafts in the wedges are still the actionlites then yes, IMO they will be too light for you. Most people are far more successful with heavier shafts in their scoring clubs. Shafts that are lighter than your irons will only add to the problem as they will feel even lighter. Heavier shaft, more head weight = higher MOI, most people find this a good mix for wedges.

i put the diamana's in my wedges... 3-5 feet every time...

Omen
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    How much does it really cost to replace one shaft to put your mind at rest? If the new shaft is better than replace the rest. If not it's your swing or bad execution, or something else, you'll have your answer.
    A great idea!

The 51* would be the best one to start with as it is the club I am most likely to use a full swing for approaches from 75-80.

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    If the shafts in the wedges are still the actionlites then yes, IMO they will be too light for you. Most people are far more successful with heavier shafts in their scoring clubs. Shafts that are lighter than your irons will only add to the problem as they will feel even lighter. Heavier shaft, more head weight = higher MOI, most people find this a good mix for wedges.
    I don't think they are actionlites but they are definitely a lighter, flimsier shaft than the TT DG in my irons.

Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    True Temper Dynalite.

Probably pretty similar to the Actionlite and probably a good match up with my old irons.

Contrary to what Fred says I am finding I am getting much more consistency with my ball striking from the DG R300 and shot dispersion on my misses is much less.

I don't ever expect to be scratch golfer but these new irons (and possibly reshafted wedges) might help me shoot lower scores and get to a single figure handicap.

Most younger players have much better success with heavier weight clubs. 25g of shaft weight is a lot when it comes to controlling the club during the swing.

Psshhh, I don't bother putting shafts in my wedges.

I stick it toight with just the heads.

Man up, get some game.

JS
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Thread Information