|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

What steel shaft for Ping Rapture irons?

Hi Golf Equipment Experts

I want to buy a new Rapture iron set, but don't know which steel shaft to order.
    My swing speed with a 6 iron is 80mph and my handicap is 12.

Should I go with the ZZ-65 or a regular True Temper DSG?

Any recommendations?

Andy

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolex
    You do realize you're on golfreview.com?
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Yep, regular golfers are the great experts because they play the clubs and don't need to sell them.

I'd appreciate to get feedback from someone having experience with Rapture irons.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex
    Why thank you, thats flattering. But you should ask LyleG, he is the clubfitter. I'm sorry for any mishaps we have had in the past lyle.

TmacG
    RCC Saskatchewan, Canada

No one here plays rapture irons because they all use blades. Nothing better than grinding out a 93 with your sweet set of mp67's.

Back on topic.

Personally I like heavier shafts in my irons and would go with the TTDSG's. They weight 125 grams vs the 109grams of the ZZ65's.
    It really is a matter of personal preference here.

Yeah not an easy one!!!

What's your build etc. I'm fairly small and I personally like light stiff shafts as I can feel the weight of the head of the iron throughout the swing. Also the lighter the shaft the quicker the clubhead speed. Having said that, if you are too quick, you'll spray the ball. 80mph for a 6 iron is on the quick side!

Played with TT DG 300 and didn't hit the ball too well. Now I play with the custom shaft in the Callaway X18 uniflex steel
    [I]You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Bell
    I personally like light stiff shafts as I can feel the weight of the head of the iron throughout the swing.

This is a common misconception. A lighter shaft will actually lower the swing weight of a club. For example a 5 iron with a 125g shaft at D2, will drop to D0 in swing weight if you change the shaft to 105g. This is if all other things remain unchanged, head weight, grip weight and finished length.

For every 9 grams of addition shaft weight the swing weight of a club will increase 1 point.
    The exact opposite holds true if you go lighter.
    For every 2 grams of weight added to the head the swing weight will increase 1 point, again the exact opposite occurs if you remove weight from the head.
    For every 5 grams you add to the butt of the shaft, the swing weight will drop 1 point.
    Every half inch in finished length will change the swing weight 3 points. 1/2 inch shorter it drops 3 points, 1/2 inch longer it goes up 3.

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    No one here plays rapture irons because they all use blades. Nothing better than grinding out a 93 with your sweet set of mp67's.
    Some people just like to make the game harder than it necessarily has to be Lyle. It also helps to have a selective memory "I really nailed that 7 iron from 150 into the wind at 14, but don't ask me about the rest of the round". It's usually the same guys who maintain a low mark by only putting in 1 card every two months. Call me boring, but I'd rather play to my handicap than pure one or two shots a round with ill fitting clubs and spend the rest of the day racking up a big score.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I use teh DG s400 in mine. Oddly, PING no longer offers the dynamic gold shafts as standard (there is an upcharge for them as they sell the zz65, awt, and cs lite shafts as standard). your best bet is to try and hit several different shafts and see which works best for you.

I don't understand why the raptures get such a bad rap. Size wise, they are almost identical to the g5 irons. nobody knocks the g5's for being shovels. The raptures have a great feel to them.
    Ping Rapture 9 degree Aldila VS Proto X-Stiff
    PING Tisi Tec 3 wood (14 degree) Blue Prolaunch stiff
    2-pw: PING S59 DG x100(also have PING Rapture 2 and 3 irons)
    PING iwedge 56 degrees TT DG s400
    PING i-series Craz-e 34"

Quote Originally Posted by PINGELI
    I use teh DG s400 in mine. Oddly, PING no longer offers the dynamic gold shafts as standard (there is an upcharge for them as they sell the zz65, awt, and cs lite shafts as standard). your best bet is to try and hit several different shafts and see which works best for you.

I don't understand why the raptures get such a bad rap. Size wise, they are almost identical to the g5 irons. nobody knocks the g5's for being shovels. The raptures have a great feel to them.
    But the G5's are pretty much shovels... Pro's use shovels though its no big deal... i just cant deal with all that offset...

For every 9 grams of addition shaft weight the swing weight of a club will increase 1 point.
    The exact opposite holds true if you go lighter.
    For every 2 grams of weight added to the head the swing weight will increase 1 point, again the exact opposite occurs if you remove weight from the head.
    For every 5 grams you add to the butt of the shaft, the swing weight will drop 1 point.
    Every half inch in finished length will change the swing weight 3 points. 1/2 inch shorter it drops 3 points, 1/2 inch longer it goes up 3.
    I'm going to get into clubbuilding, and this is some great info. Thanks for taking the time to post it!
    TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Driver
    Alpha V5 16* Hybrid
    Orlimar H830 19* and 22* Hybrids
    Mizuno MX-19 4-GW
    Mac Tour Bounce SW OR Snake Eyes Viper SW
    Maltby Max Moment Putter

More than anything, I think it's probably the cost that turns people away from Raptures. If it matters to anybody here, I think they're the only PING irons that are manufactured in China. Anyway, I'm sure they're nice.

Pingman, if you don't like "shovels" with "all that offset", why is your avatar a PING G10 logo?

Quote Originally Posted by bassplayer7770
    More than anything, I think it's probably the cost that turns people away from Raptures. If it matters to anybody here, I think they're the only PING irons that are manufactured in China. Anyway, I'm sure they're nice.

Pingman, if you don't like "shovels" with "all that offset", why is your avatar a PING G10 logo?
    oh i didnt realize you havent heard... THE G10 LINE IS MORE THAN JUST IRONS... i love their G10 hybrid woods and drivers... not enough to knock my gamers out but great clubs... but more importantly i just like the new logo...

the standard shaft for the rapture irons is now the AWT shaft. Please do yourself a favor and hit these shafts before you order your raptures. the AWT shaft is a great shaft. do a search here and on other forums and see what guys are saying.

Have you hit the g10's with awt shafts? you need to.

the rapture iron heads are made in china because the EPA has so much restriction on usage and disposal of titanium in this country. PING is working with the epa to try and make it possible to manufacture the rapture iron heads and all o ftheir wood heads in the USA again. Immediately upon their manufacture the rapture iron heads (just the very bare bones head) are sent to the PING factory in arizona where they are inspected for quality, the urethane custom tuning ports are added, and then completed . The clubs are all assembled in the usa still.

The raptures are a bit pricey but no more so than the Callaway fusion irons.
    PING i-series Craz-e 34"

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Some people just like to make the game harder than it necessarily has to be Lyle. It also helps to have a selective memory "I really nailed that 7 iron from 150 into the wind at 14, but don't ask me about the rest of the round". It's usually the same guys who maintain a low mark by only putting in 1 card every two months. Call me boring, but I'd rather play to my handicap than pure one or two shots a round with ill fitting clubs and spend the rest of the day racking up a big score.
    Well said. That was pretty funny. Some guys just like to have an ego about striking the ball like a pro. Myself - I like to write down low numbers thanks to my favorite clubs P - X wedge.

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    oh i didnt realize you havent heard... THE G10 LINE IS MORE THAN JUST IRONS... i love their G10 hybrid woods and drivers... not enough to knock my gamers out but great clubs... but more importantly i just like the new logo...
    I was only curious, pingman. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
    Alpha V5 16* Hybrid
    Mizuno MX-19 4-GW
    Maltby Max Moment Putter

the rapture iron heads are made in china because the EPA has so much restriction on usage and disposal of titanium in this country. PING is working with the epa to try and make it possible to manufacture the rapture iron heads and all o ftheir wood heads in the USA again. Immediately upon their manufacture the rapture iron heads (just the very bare bones head) are sent to the PING factory in arizona where they are inspected for quality, the urethane custom tuning ports are added, and then completed . The clubs are all assembled in the usa still.
    Thanks for the info. It is interesting that PING still manufactures most of the iron heads here.

I'm pretty sure my Mizuno MX-19s were assembled in the USA too.
    Alpha V5 16* Hybrid
    Mizuno MX-19 4-GW
    Maltby Max Moment Putter

all PING irons save for the Rapture (as previously stated) are investment cast in Arizona. Wood heads are made in China due to EPA restrictions with titanium (that's government regulation for ya). All PING products are assembled in the USA (the heads are shipped raw to the USA). In arizona every head undergoes quality control and is finished.
    PING i-series Craz-e 34"

This is PING's reply to the question as to where their clubs were manufactured and assembled. This answer was posted on another site a few days ago:

All clubs are designed by our engineers. However, the PING Jr. Moxie and Pal clubs are made in China to our specifications. The Tour wedges are also made in China to keep the cost down (this is because the grooves are actually machined in). The Driver, fairway and hybrid wood heads are also poured in China to our specs (we create the mold and give it to them to use). Our foundry in Phoenix is not set up to pour titanium (there are no plants left in the US that pour titanium). We then receive the heads here, inspect them and then assemble the clubs at our plant in Phoenix, AZ. The iron heads and putter heads are poured at our foundry in Phoenix (with the exception of the Rapture iron heads which are poured/made in China due to the titanium face). The Redwood putters are forged in China but we mill the heads here at our facility in Phoenix. As for the shafts, anything with the PING name is designed by our engineers to work for that product. However, we do not make our own shafts. We have True Temper build our steel shafts and Aldila, Grafalloy, Graphite Design and UST make the graphite shafts to our specs. All of these manufacturers build the shafts outside of the US with the exception of True Temper (still in the US). The shafts are tested in our quality control area to make sure they are within our standards before they go to the assembly area. Most of the assembly is done at our factory in Phoenix. However, we do have a plant in the UK, Germany, Canada and Japan. We will send finished clubs to these plants and they distribute them for us. The Japan and UK plants can actually receive components from us and they can assemble them at their facility.

Play Your Best!

Quote Originally Posted by pinger
    This is PING's reply to the question as to where their clubs were manufactured and assembled. This answer was posted on another site a few days ago:

All clubs are designed by our engineers. However, the PING Jr. Moxie and Pal clubs are made in China to our specifications. The Tour wedges are also made in China to keep the cost down (this is because the grooves are actually machined in). The Driver, fairway and hybrid wood heads are also poured in China to our specs (we create the mold and give it to them to use). Our foundry in Phoenix is not set up to pour titanium (there are no plants left in the US that pour titanium). We then receive the heads here, inspect them and then assemble the clubs at our plant in Phoenix, AZ. The iron heads and putter heads are poured at our foundry in Phoenix (with the exception of the Rapture iron heads which are poured/made in China due to the titanium face). The Redwood putters are forged in China but we mill the heads here at our facility in Phoenix. As for the shafts, anything with the PING name is designed by our engineers to work for that product. However, we do not make our own shafts. We have True Temper build our steel shafts and Aldila, Grafalloy, Graphite Design and UST make the graphite shafts to our specs. All of these manufacturers build the shafts outside of the US with the exception of True Temper (still in the US). The shafts are tested in our quality control area to make sure they are within our standards before they go to the assembly area. Most of the assembly is done at our factory in Phoenix. However, we do have a plant in the UK, Germany, Canada and Japan. We will send finished clubs to these plants and they distribute them for us. The Japan and UK plants can actually receive components from us and they can assemble them at their facility.

Play Your Best!
    i bet ya if they could pour Titanium they would make the clubs completely in the USA... i really hope that they can gain that capability its one of the things that makes PING different (or at least in manufacturing...)

If PING started making all their clubs in the USA from start to finish they could never compete. Lets try and stay realistic here.

If PING started making all their clubs in the USA from start to finish they could never compete. Lets try and stay realistic here.
    That's why I was surprised they still make most of their irons here, but they still seem to be competitively priced.
    Alpha V5 16* Hybrid
    Mizuno MX-19 4-GW
    Maltby Max Moment Putter

daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    If I was starting from scratch with a fat wallet and empty golf bag, I might step up with the G10 driver and fairway woods...

Those things look DAMN good when you put them down on the floor at Golf Superstore... dunno how they swing but they do look fine...

as for the irons, I'd probably go for the i10s instead of the G10s...

Thread Information