|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Burner TP

Burner TP

To those that have hit it, what is your opinion of this driver?
    I had at one time the regular burner, I really liked it but it just had way too much draw bias for me. I traded it for a Nickent 4DX tour spec and really like it and have a Titliest 907D2 with the VS proto. I am thinking about trading the 907 for a Burner TP. Just want to hear what peoples thoughts are.
    Driver: Nickent 4DX T-SPEC 9 V2 stiff
    3 wood: Nickent 3DX Pro 902X
    7 wood: Great Big Bertha II firm
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 4H VS Proto
    Irons: Adams Idea pro forged 5-PW
    Wedge: 52 Cleveland CG10
    Wedge: 56 Cleveland CG12
    Putter: Heavy Putter B-3
    Ball: ProV

i personally dont like it... it just doesnt have what im looking for... it spins a ton with the stock shaft so you would most likely need to get that replaced... sometimes you run across a drive that just doesnt appeal to you nor suit you and that was the burner tp for me...

i think it's an excellent driver. the only one from TM that i would ever touch. i would have no problems adding that stick to my bag and if you follow this forum at all you know how picky i am about clubs. I agree with PM that the shaft may need to be changed out but the head itself is extremely hot and balls fly forever off of it...

I am not a long ball hitter by any means ( 270-275 with my 905t) but i hit the burner tp with the stock shaft and was flying limited flight range balls 250 over a huge net? so i definitely think that you will see a yardage gain from the 907 to the TPB. the regular burner sets up closed so it you arent a HACKER LIKE HB then that club would be not good for you. The TP should feel good in anybodys hands from a + to a 30 capper...

best of luck and hope this helps

Omen
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

I agree on the regular burner. I hit it well but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't keep the ball from finding the left side of the fairway.
    I really like 4DX T-S as it is almost open.
    I play on a somewhat short but very tight country club so distance is not as important to me as control is.
    Driver: Nickent 4DX T-SPEC 9 V2 stiff
    3 wood: Nickent 3DX Pro 902X
    7 wood: Great Big Bertha II firm
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 4H VS Proto
    Irons: Adams Idea pro forged 5-PW
    Wedge: 52 Cleveland CG10
    Wedge: 56 Cleveland CG12
    Putter: Heavy Putter B-3
    Ball: ProV

I just demoed the Burner TP today. Great club, I was hitting nice little cuts and high straight shots. I would say it was about 20 yards longer then my 425. I tried the regular burner; I couldn't hit it straight to save my life. The guy at the shop was saying it is only 1/2 degree closed. It looked more liken 2 degrees closed to me.

I also tried to demo some blades. None in LH'ed. Did hit the Muzzi 57. Nice club but not any better than my 735's. Misses were a bit more forgiving with the 57's but I got more feed back with the titties.

I didn't think I'd be replacing my Bridgestone J33 460 so soon, but I was lurking in the used club section at Golfsmith and found a brand new Burner TP marked as used and selling for $192. I grabbed it, payed, and left like I stole something. Anyway, I LOVE this club. There are few drivers out there that I can take to straight away, but this is one of them. Now, I can't tell you yet if this driver is any longer than my Bridgestone in total distance (only been to the course once with it on a windy day), but it definitely has more carry distance w/o any ballooning. It's a 10.5 degree vs. the 9.5 on my Bridgestone. I was a little concerned at first, but figured I'd give it a shot. As mentioned, no ballooning and the flight is high, but penetrating.

Here's a tip when demo'ing...if you tee the ball up high like I used to, tee it a little lower for this club and it'll really sing.
    In My Bag (for now):
    Taylormade Burner TP 10.5*
    Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15*
    Tour Edge Exotics XCG 18*
    Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
    Vokey Raw 50*, Vokey SM 54*, Vokey SM 58*
    Yes! Tracy II
    Bridgestone B-330-S

My friend let me try out the (tp or regular I'm not sure) for a round, i found it was hard to keep in the fairway compared to my G5, but it's probably me, not the club.
    Scotty Potty

Driver- Ping G5
    Fairway Wood- Titleist 909 F2 15.5
    Hybrid- Titleist 909 H 19
    Irons- Tommy Armour Hot Scot Irons
    Wedges- Titleist Vokey 52, 56, 60
    Nike IC 20-10A Putter

The entire premise of the Burner and a few other clubs like it is the assumption that if the head can be made forgiving enough, they can get away with extra shaft length and a very lightweight shaft. The light and long shaft can give extra length, but at the cost of control. There is a reason the pros don't tend to use 46" shafts; the extra yards are potentially at the cost of more missed fairways. Some who use the bash and gouge approach might not mind, but in the hands of many people the extra distance just isn't a good trade off for hitting more fairways with a shorter and heavier shaft.
    But as a marketing tool, the extra distance is what sells clubs initially, and the disappointment with control brings the customer back for a new one soon enough.......
    There are still a lot of people out there who will replace a driver instead of just reshafting it with a higher quality shaft than many OEM's supply.

Personally, I've been down the 46", 50 gram shaft twice before. I won't do it a third time. In my hands, it is simply too difficult to get consistent results. The light shaft makes the position of the clubhead difficult to feel. If the swing is grooved for the day, one can get off monster drives. But if the rhythm, tempo, and other swing characteristics aren't in sync, it is hard to "fix it on the fly" in my experience, and bad drive after bad drive can ensue.

2 days ago, I was playing with a guy in his late 20's or early 30's. He was using a Burner, but I'm not sure which rendition it was. He made some absolutely incredibly long drives, but also hit 3 or 4 balls OB with his driver. If someone can consistently control that type of club, more power to them. I can't, and I'll stick with what works in my hands.
    Last edited by dorkman53; 01-01-2008 at 06:46 PM.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Dorkman has a point on the extra long shaft. I cut mine down to 45" after the first range session. However, on the shaft weight, they've weighted the club to where you can still feel the club-head the whole way through the swing, so that wasn't a problem for me. All that said, I've swapped out the shaft for a Purple Ice shaft (the epoxy is curing on that bad boy as we speak) since I found the OEM shaft to be too whippy. That was surprising since this is their "TP" model.

BTW, I wouldn't believe all the hype on the "superfast" technology giving you long distance. I think Golf Magazine did a club test recently having the Burner (reg, not TP) in the mix. It was among the longer drivers, but only marginally so...didn't blow anything out of the water. I just like it because it is so dang forgiving and has a great ball flight. Looking forward to more rounds with this stick.
    In My Bag (for now):
    Taylormade Burner TP 10.5*
    Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15*
    Tour Edge Exotics XCG 18*
    Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
    Vokey Raw 50*, Vokey SM 54*, Vokey SM 58*
    Yes! Tracy II
    Bridgestone B-330-S

Thread Information