|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Getting on at Augusta

One of my high school classmates joined Augusta National this year. His father is a member. Our town has 6 members and 3 are approximately my age + - 4 years or so. Sons or sons-in-law of members.

I spent a few minutes with him at the high school reunion Friday night. I need to think of a way to motivate him to bring me over to play a round.

Any suggestions??

Tell you what. If anybody here can give me the winning suggestion, the one that motivates him to invite me - I'll bring you along.

I need some ideas.

Bravo

How good is he? I've always found that one of the best ways to motivate someone is to ask for their help. If he's better than you maybe you could tell him about something you're trying to work on and get him to offer to help you with it.

If you're better than him I'll keep thinking. Would love to win this one.

call him and ask if he'd like to play with you some time. Then casually at the end of the conversation mention a really crappy course he wouldn't want to play at. Then, out of not wanting to play at the crappy course, he'll invite you to play at Augusta.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo35223
    One of my high school classmates joined Augusta National this year. His father is a member. Our town has 6 members and 3 are approximately my age + - 4 years or so. Sons or sons-in-law of members.

I spent a few minutes with him at the high school reunion Friday night. I need to think of a way to motivate him to bring me over to play a round.

Any suggestions??

Tell you what. If anybody here can give me the winning suggestion, the one that motivates him to invite me - I'll bring you along.

I need some ideas.

Bravo
    Augusta is closed until after Labor day so you know. How well do you know him? Do you talk to him on a regular basis or would you call him once with the intention of getting an invite?

If you don't talk to him much, you could just ask him if you and me could get out for a round with him later this fall and you will pay for it of course. Personally, I have always dreamed about playing Augusta. I would approach it with a sincere and honest attitude. Above all, offer to pay for it. I will pay for your round if you invite me along.

Mention that you will be posting the round on GR and he will have the rare honor of appearing as supporting actor in the production... I'm sure that Augusta National members get tired of hearing from people they rarely know asking to get on, so you may be screwed, but if he's a decent guy and you're on decent terms it can't hurt to ask. Direct and honest. Tell him what a dream it is of yours and make him feel like a hero for offering. It's not every day someone has the chance to change another's life. He may be happy to oblige. If that doesn't work, you could always play up the melanoma. How could he refuse a fellow golfer who has paid his dues with flesh and blood?

Honesty is the best policy

Just be honest and tell him how much you would love to play the course and was wondering if he would have you as his guest. I think he'd appreciate your honesty
    Let us know how it turns out.

Step 1- Buy Gun
    Step 2- Take Gun to Reunion
    Step 3- Take him somewhere private and threaten him
    Step 4- Play Augusta

Or just wing it

You could offer him a go at yourself or the missus.

Seriously, if its somone you know only casually he's probably wise to the fact that thats what people will be after.

There is only one sure fire way to convince anyone of anything. Beer. I have never had beer let me down. Beer got me my job, wife, and a dozen Maxfli Noodles last week. All you need to do is call the guy up, say it was good to see him at the reunion. Tell him you'd like to buy him a beer and play a round of darts. After 5-6 beers (adjust to 14-15 if you live in Wisconsin like I do), start chatting about the more quality courses you've played. He will no doubt trump you by saying something like "People give up children to get on at my home course..." Now all you have to do is sign over the soul of your first born, and you're in.

Actually, this strategy works even without the loss of children. I think he would be way more likely to invite you if he knows you're a quality guy that has a passion for golf, not a stalker that only loves him for Augusta.

I prefer an early morning tee time, if possible.
    Ain't no thing but a chicken wing on a string...

Quote Originally Posted by Grip It and Rip It
    There is only one sure fire way to convince anyone of anything. Beer. I have never had beer let me down. Beer got me my job, wife, and a dozen Maxfli Noodles last week. All you need to do is call the guy up, say it was good to see him at the reunion. Tell him you'd like to buy him a beer and play a round of darts. After 5-6 beers (adjust to 14-15 if you live in Wisconsin like I do), start chatting about the more quality courses you've played. He will no doubt trump you by saying something like "People give up children to get on at my home course..." Now all you have to do is sign over the soul of your first born, and you're in.

Actually, this strategy works even without the loss of children. I think he would be way more likely to invite you if he knows you're a quality guy that has a passion for golf, not a stalker that only loves him for Augusta.

I prefer an early morning tee time, if possible.
    Hey Grip:

I like your submission the best. Was hoping for some creative thinking on these...

Although I have known this fellow for over 30 years -we don't know each other very well.

He is independently wealthy.

I have taken many risks in my career and none of them have paid off. I am not anywhere near his financial position....

All the same, he is a good fellow. In a position to be terribly stuck up but he is level-headed. If I encountered him more frequently, the opportunity to ask about playing there would certainly be more comfortable.

At the reunion, we talked about playing St. Andrews. I have never been to Scotland. He has played twice....

thanks for the replies here. A pipedream I am sure.

Bravo-
    This is NOT a pipedream. I WILL win your "Play Augusta with Bravo" contest. I'll mail you beer money. Even change for the dartboard. If I can use the Golden Miracle to convince my wife (who is way out of my league) to marry a schlub like me, you can be friends with a jetsetting playboy. Don't let me down.

Grip it and Rip It. ;)
    Ain't no thing but a chicken wing on a string...

Quote Originally Posted by Spankmoggie
    You could offer him a go at yourself or the missus.

Seriously, if its somone you know only casually he's probably wise to the fact that thats what people will be after.

LOL...I think we have a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Grip It and Rip It
    Bravo-
    This is NOT a pipedream. I WILL win your "Play Augusta with Bravo" contest. I'll mail you beer money. Even change for the dartboard. If I can use the Golden Miracle to convince my wife (who is way out of my league) to marry a schlub like me, you can be friends with a jetsetting playboy. Don't let me down.

Grip it and Rip It. ;)
    OK - I'll give it a try.

I'll go to the Museum Ball - an event littered with multimillionaires drinking Grey Goose and Chateau LaFite Rothschild.

I will shower him with beer.

I will bring the dart board and set it up next to the bar.

Before you know it - a dart will find its way into someone's eye.

Soon I will be in jail.

Are there any other classmates that play? Suggest that 4 of you get together for a round at some other "nice" course. Don't act like you are looking to get on Augusta as I am sure he gets a lot of that. Play a couple of times if you can else where and eventually he will make the offer. You gotta work at it and build upto it.
    there are probably only a couple of golfers that should refer to themselves as the master. I am sure it is not anyone on this board.

Well, put yourself in his position. If you were an Augusta member, had crazy money, and the ability to take non-members to a spectacular course, what would you do? If I was this dude, I would not want every Tom, Dick, and Harry asking me to take them to Augusta; especially Dick. However, if there is a fellow high school classmate who I have a decent relationship with, I would be more than willing to take them to the course.

You must first assess your relationship with this guy. If you honestly feel he would find you to be a pain in the ass for asking, then don't even bother. But if there's a chance he might enjoy taking someone who ordinarily doesn't have a chance to play Augusta and possibly catching up on old times, then go for it. I think the worst thing that could happen here is he agrees and resents you for it. I'd rather he said 'no' then agree but be pissed for being put in the position to say yes or no. However, you should probably have a feel for how this guy will react. If he's decent and he likes you, I think he'll probably try to make time for you. If not, no big deal. You're no worse off than you were before.

I relate this to all the times I wanted to ask a girl on a date and never did. I was afraid of the rejection so I decided what their answer was without even asking. I regret that stuff. Bravo, man up and ask. You have nothing to lose.

Bravo, I will do a test run for you to see if it works to just flat out ask. If it does, that is what you do. Stay tuned to the post topics.
    there are probably only a couple of golfers that should refer to themselves as the master. I am sure it is not anyone on this board.

Thread Information