|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

the real man club is back in MY BAG..

.. why the hell i ever took it out is beyond me...

my cleveland form forged TA1 2 iron is back in the bag... likewise the 58 is gone most likely for good.

it now reads like a penthouse forum letter, sexy with all the trimmings:

Omen's bag

9.5* 905t
    13* x hot tour
    2 iron TA1
    3-W MP 32
    51* CG10
    55* CG10
    SC SD #3
    Pro V1 and Pro V1x
    all in the Ping Hoofer Extreme

.... AHHH, it's good to be back
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

well almost anything is better than the F-50... i love the MP-001, and the F-60 but the F-50 is complete crap... you should think of getting a MP-32 2i that would go a bit better with what you have in the bag currently...

Hate to sound Shottalkish, but that is a great set up.

daveperk Guest
    I played with my dad a couple weeks ago, first time in ten years or more (after his knee surgery and my European stint, been awhile)... in his bag are all the clubs I used to use but have replaced over the years...

and there in the middle was one of my fave clubs from 15 years ago... the Tommy Armour 845 One Iron...

For fun, I took it out and whacked an old ball into the trees... felt TERRIBLE...

made me very glad I have a three wood, five wood and hybrid. My long game is SO much better without that lightning rod.

I do remember some great shots, don't get me wrong. But in spite of my obnoxious overconfidence, it wasn't my best club by a long shot.

Good to see the old guy, nonetheless.. and great to see my dad too. :-)

the only one iron i've ever used was a tommy armour 845 silver scott... hit some gems with that super forgiving game improver... felt like i was cheating though because it was cast cavity offset game improvement so when the head went flying down range one day i said farewell.

at times i do miss it... especially on a tight short par 4... it was great for a 245 fairway finder...

havent swung the old 2i in a minute so I need to go to the range and make sure she still loves me.

Omen

Pics For The Doubters...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2i.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	1968

Name:	2i2.JPG 
Views:	243 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	1969

Name:	2i3.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	1970

THAT'S DEAD SEXY...

Dorkman, that's what a real man's golf club looks like... DONT LET IT FRIGHTEN YOU...

Omen

HOLY ****! First time touching a camera?

Ugh...did ya know that after 08 32's and 60's will be custom order only from Miz. No more mass production..I better grab a set for 08..

PS- nice loft on that 3 wood, that's the only way you can keep up with mine. Men play a 15º.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

yep '08 but then new stuff comes out...

IT'S NOT ME ... there arent many cameras available today that can capture all the pureness of a true forged blade...

my sticks are too much stick for the camera... SORRY..

Omen

Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    IT'S NOT ME ... there arent many cameras available today that can capture all the pureness of a true forged blade...

Omen

You must be using one of these puppies:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    yep '08 but then new stuff comes out...
    I have 32-s on order, I play with 60-s now. Wow, those are tough acts to follow. Will be interesting to see what they have up their sleeve.

That is a nice looking club. A lob wedge would be better for your scores however.

That is the skinniest ass thumb, I have ever seen in my life...

I mean, seriously, the wrist looks okay, the hand... WTF is wrong with your thumb?

Apologies, if it was severed in a construction accident and reattached, but seriously...

Go outside and lift a pumpkin or chase a bunny over a scaled wall; get that thumb some exercise... The #2 gripper is absolutely beyond the scope of this discussion.

shocked,

spank

Omen
    I'm confused. I thought forgings that are not Mizuno were $h!+....
    TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Driver
    Alpha V5 16* Hybrid
    Orlimar H830 19* and 22* Hybrids
    Mizuno MX-19 4-GW
    Mac Tour Bounce SW OR Snake Eyes Viper SW
    Maltby Max Moment Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Lil'Mike
    That is a nice looking club. A lob wedge would be better for your scores however.
    Omen doesn't know how to use a lob wedge.

Quote Originally Posted by QueenCityGolfer
    Omen doesn't know how to use a lob wedge.

i think only real men know how to use a Lob Wedge... seriously i think the LW would be used several times more in a round than a 2i... i guess omen has more shots from 230yds than he does from 105-90yds... lol

I think he got caught watching too much Big Break Mesquite where all those guys hit during the last two shows were 2irons. So now he's a follower looking for some secret to scoring.

Keep looking!
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

man the two iron is what i use on the 235 yard par 4 seventh at Cassique... You hacks need the lob wedge for those little 85 yard things you call par 3's... It's not a real golf course if it doesnt have one par 3 over 220...

I dont have 95 yard shots often because the tips rarely leave me that left... the only clubs i get dirty are the mid and short irons on the par 4's the long irons on the par 3's and the woods on the par 5's... why the hell would i leave an approach shot 95 yards short?

the lw is the worst thing for your scores... you put that in your bag and the next thing you know you are on a GOLF FORUM preaching that the bump and run with it is the greatest shot in golf.

in all seriousness the reason i am putting it back in is for the par 3, seventh: but most importantly it's because i rarely hit the 5 wood and it's a great club for practice...

Omen

man the two iron is what i use on the 235 yard par 4 seventh at Cassique...

Omen
    what kinda baby course has a par 4 that's 235?

Get off the pitch and putt and learn to play golf you wimpy *****.

man the two iron is what i use on the 235 yard par 4 seventh at Cassique... You hacks need the lob wedge for those little 85 yard things you call par 3's... It's not a real golf course if it doesnt have one par 3 over 220...

I dont have 95 yard shots often because the tips rarely leave me that left... the only clubs i get dirty are the mid and short irons on the par 4's the long irons on the par 3's and the woods on the par 5's... why the hell would i leave an approach shot 95 yards short?

the lw is the worst thing for your scores... you put that in your bag and the next thing you know you are on a GOLF FORUM preaching that the bump and run with it is the greatest shot in golf.

in all seriousness the reason i am putting it back in is for the par 3, seventh: but most importantly it's because i rarely hit the 5 wood and it's a great club for practice...

Omen
    So you hit every single green with every long club. When can we expect you on the PGA tour ? According to that logic you are a better ball striker then Tiger.

Hey GA, you're almost at 3,000 posts!

How did you manage

to post so many times?

Omen
    who in the world would use a LW for a bump and run???

…I’m gone for a couple months and what I come back to? The same old sh*t… 2-irons and the bump & run lob wedge… are there any new topics!?… I’m surprised no one has compared blade or CB 2-iron yet…

BTW- always use the deuce more than the lob every round…
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

Quote Originally Posted by CPS
    …I’m gone for a couple months and what I come back to? The same old sh*t… 2-irons and the bump & run lob wedge… are there any new topics!?… I’m surprised no one has compared blade or CB 2-iron yet…

BTW- always use the deuce more than the lob every round…
    We just got back to this topic a few days ago.

The latest was a Teesee craze.

Quote Originally Posted by spankdog
    That is the skinniest ass thumb, I have ever seen in my life...

I mean, seriously, the wrist looks okay, the hand... WTF is wrong with your thumb?
    Spank
    I think you owe the world some photos of "what a man's thumb should look like"...........

Here is a picture of me, taken 20 years ago, on my 75th birthday. Now THOSE are THUMBS!!
    http://www.fotosearch.com/PDS151/75910565/
    Last edited by dorkman53; 12-29-2007 at 06:54 PM.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

i think my post was edited to say par 4.. i know it originally said par 3...

QCG said he can bump and run the ol 60 like a pimp..

Man i am a better ball striker than TIGER... that chump is garbage..

Omen

tour wont call because i have made hot biotches trying to service me on the course.. those in charge of the tour dont like my public image.

So you carry a 2iron for 1hole, 1shot. I think most of us would question that approach. If you really never get to within 95 yard approaches on some par4's from the tips you need to gain some length in a serious way. What about your 3rd shots on the par 5's? I imagine if you can't get to 100 yards on a par4 you're not reaching many of the par5's in two on this monstrous layout of yours?

Anyway, measuring the utility value of a 2iron against a wedge is endless and impossible to quantify for someone who is already blind...
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff

I'm guessing the wind must have reversed direction and been in your face that day because the 7th is normally a 5 iron for me from the tips.

well i usually only hit the 5 wood once every 4 rounds... so the 2 iron once every round seems like a reasonable trade off dont you think?

here is the river

par 4 - 425 ( dogleg left, water and bunkers all down the left)
    par 5 - 558 ( downhill teeshot, uphill approach shot to small green with waste all around it)
    par 3 - 208 ( over water over trees, entire right side protected by extensive bunkering)
    par 4 - 377 ( Driver can go through the fairway, easy green so i hit 3 wood which leaves 9i or less)
    par 4 - 341 ( very short dogleg left uphill with waste and water down the left... tiny landing area, nasty green, 2i and a 9 iron at most)
    par 3 - 179 ( downhill over water the entire time... big green though)
    par 4 - 482 ( straightaway, generous fairway, big green, wind always a factor: i've hit everything from 7i to 3 wood into this green)
    par 5 - 545 ( water all the way down the right side from tee to green, slight dogleg right, extensive greenside bunkering)
    par 4 - 420 ( from the tee a precise drive must be hit... the angle into the fairway is only 15 yards wide and easy to run through)
    par 4 - 445 ( to bad for you folks with a fade, good luck with those trees yo.)
    par 4 - 366 ( short hole but driver, unless you hit a very controlled fade, is not the option, 3 wood leaves a wedge into a very unique green)
    par 3 - 202 ( all carry over water.. 7-8 feet of elevation change over a relatively small green, 3 is a great score here, guy in my group made 2 today, with a back pin no less... 10 feet: AMAZING)
    par 5 - 510 ( dogleg left, teeshot over water, generous landing area... water all down the right edge of the green... if you draw the ball you had better not hang one. relatively easy hole)
    par 4 - 445 ( dogleg left, nothing special... if you challenge the waste on the left you can get a lot of roll... i have had 135 left into this green)
    par 4 - 418 ( straightaway...easiest hole on the course in my opinion.)
    par 5 - 530 ( uphill the whole way, large oak obstructing all approach shots... it doesnt matter how far you hit it or where in the fairway it is, you will have to go over the oak.)
    par 3 - 207 ( signature hole. dont miss the green)
    par 4 - 440 ( too bad for you faders, dogleg left, marsh all down the left, forced carry over marsh from the box and trees in the way on the left hand side of the landing area... after that it's not too bad, just dont miss the green left or right... )

and that sums up the river... it's all right in front of you and no real surprises... the greens have some subtle breaks that will make you scratch your head.

its an absolutely stunning golf course, all the bunkers are lined with souissa ( sp??) grass and the fairways are all mown extemely tight... no high bounce wedges here.

one day i will take the camera with me and take pics of some of the holes and post them for you all to see...

for some reason you cant seem to find good pics online.

Omen

zoysia noob... lovely grass. Illegal in Oregon.

All kidding aside, I see no need for a 2iron there. maybe, just maybe the 7th.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff

yeah, i mainly use the deuce at CASSIQUE.. it's the course with the 235 yard par 3 seventh.

i will lay it out for you guys now...

oh by the way the river course is a tom fazio design

cassique is a tom watson design ( his first stateside i believe )
    several of the holes are modeled after famous british golf holes...

1. par 4 - 400 ( carry the bunkers on the right, aim for the middle unless the pin is back)
    2. par 5 - 540 ( aim for the cowboy hat shaped bunker, lay up, never go at the back right pin nor the front left pin: if you do and you are right of the back pin it is going to go in the water, same if you are short on the front left pin: dont go for this green because anything that doesnt carry the putting surface will funnel all the way to the burn that is 40 yards short of the green's middle)
    3. par 4 - 450 ( draw is the preferred shot shape here, opens up the green)

.... two fairways, it alternates every day, one side is NIP N' TUCK; and the other is PULPIT.

4. Nip/tuck PAR 4 - 360 ( not enough fairway for driver, hit your gay ass hybrid or 2i if you are a real man; blind shot into the green not a difficult green)
    4. Pulpit par 4 - 371 ( driver not neccessary, 3 wood is plenty; leaves 120 -130 uphill into a severly sloped right to left green)

.... the duel fairways are followed by duel par 3 options that also alternate daily, same names...

5. Nip/tuck par 3 - 160 ( uphill, same green that is used for the pulpit par 4, aim for the middle and you should make 3 easy... go chasing and you could make 6)
    5. Pulpit par 3 - 150 ( by far my favorite... extremely downhill, but very affected by wind, no wind you take off two clubs... if the pin is middle or front it is real easy to hit one close... on a no wind day to almost any pin you are definitely thinking birdie; even with the wind if you dont get too stupid you could have a very real look at 2)

6. par 5 - 565 ( the tee box could be up on the hill or down low depending on the routing NIP/TUCK or PULPIT.... it alternates daily... usually into the wind so usually out of reach... massive green, dont get into one of the two massive pot bunkers 80 yards short of the middle of the green... they do not allow anything to get to the green.)
    7. par 3 - 235 ( all carry over marsh... dont miss right there are trees... man i'm glad i have a 2i)
    8. par 4 - 345 ( with the wind at your back you can drive the green, it's risky but possible, marsh all down the left and the tee shot must carry some of it: 185 on the short side: today i hit 2i and had 83 left to the front pin... made birdie... damn i love my 2i. easy hole if you dont get greedy)
    9. par 4 - 420 ( dont let the oak that is 50 yards in front of the box distract you... go over it and get on with it... NEW MEANING TO FALSE FRONT... approx. 12 -14 feet of elevation change over about a 7 yard area.... NOTHING STAYS ON IT.... so add a club and make sure you get to the middle... )
    10. par 4 - 400 ( 3 wood to the fat part and hit a wedge or 9i into this green: easy 4 good chance for 3)
    11. par 5 - 565 ( no where to really land the ball for the long hitters, almost mandatory to take 3 to get there. lots of extensive bukering around 270-320 out.... large green, especially with wedge... easy 5 and for better players you are almost expecting 4)
    12. par 4 - 390 ( 3 wood, driver runs through here, big green; another great chance for 3)
    13. par 3 - 175 ( nasty par 3... back left pin and you had better hit a great tee shot and you still have to hope for 3... just a tough freaking hole: always a lot of wind on this one which makes it difficult)
    14. par 4 - 445 ( straightaway... easy, find the fairway you are almost guaranteed 4)
    15. par 5 - 540 ( signature hole... gorgeous... just freaking beat it hard.... can be reached but you must have the balls to hit a small target with a wood.)
    16. par 3 - 185 ( go to the middle, 2 putt and leave)
    17. par 4 - 395 ( dogleg hard right, marsh all down the right.. you will have to carry the marsh twice... unless you drive the green the way SERGIO GARCIA did... it's about a 325 carry)
    18. par 4 - 435 ( right center from the box, right center of the green... its a 4)

i prefer the river but this is a nice change of pace... the rough will ruin your day... very thick bermuda and during the summer you can barely get 9i out of it....

its over 7 from the tips too ...

yeah, i mainly use the deuce at CASSIQUE.. it's the course with the 235 yard par 3 seventh.

i will lay it out for you guys now...

oh by the way the river course is a tom fazio design

cassique is a tom watson design ( his first stateside i believe )
    several of the holes are modeled after famous british golf holes...

1. par 4 - 400 ( carry the bunkers on the right, aim for the middle unless the pin is back)
    2. par 5 - 540 ( aim for the cowboy hat shaped bunker, lay up, never go at the back right pin nor the front left pin: if you do and you are right of the back pin it is going to go in the water, same if you are short on the front left pin: dont go for this green because anything that doesnt carry the putting surface will funnel all the way to the burn that is 40 yards short of the green's middle)
    3. par 4 - 450 ( draw is the preferred shot shape here, opens up the green)

.... two fairways, it alternates every day, one side is NIP N' TUCK; and the other is PULPIT.

4. Nip/tuck PAR 4 - 360 ( not enough fairway for driver, hit your gay ass hybrid or 2i if you are a real man; blind shot into the green not a difficult green)
    4. Pulpit par 4 - 371 ( driver not neccessary, 3 wood is plenty; leaves 120 -130 uphill into a severly sloped right to left green)

.... the duel fairways are followed by duel par 3 options that also alternate daily, same names...

5. Nip/tuck par 3 - 160 ( uphill, same green that is used for the pulpit par 4, aim for the middle and you should make 3 easy... go chasing and you could make 6)
    5. Pulpit par 3 - 150 ( by far my favorite... extremely downhill, but very affected by wind, no wind you take off two clubs... if the pin is middle or front it is real easy to hit one close... on a no wind day to almost any pin you are definitely thinking birdie; even with the wind if you dont get too stupid you could have a very real look at 2)

6. par 5 - 565 ( the tee box could be up on the hill or down low depending on the routing NIP/TUCK or PULPIT.... it alternates daily... usually into the wind so usually out of reach... massive green, dont get into one of the two massive pot bunkers 80 yards short of the middle of the green... they do not allow anything to get to the green.)
    7. par 3 - 235 ( all carry over marsh... dont miss right there are trees... man i'm glad i have a 2i)
    8. par 4 - 345 ( with the wind at your back you can drive the green, it's risky but possible, marsh all down the left and the tee shot must carry some of it: 185 on the short side: today i hit 2i and had 83 left to the front pin... made birdie... damn i love my 2i. easy hole if you dont get greedy)
    9. par 4 - 420 ( dont let the oak that is 50 yards in front of the box distract you... go over it and get on with it... NEW MEANING TO FALSE FRONT... approx. 12 -14 feet of elevation change over about a 7 yard area.... NOTHING STAYS ON IT.... so add a club and make sure you get to the middle... )
    10. par 4 - 400 ( 3 wood to the fat part and hit a wedge or 9i into this green: easy 4 good chance for 3)
    11. par 5 - 565 ( no where to really land the ball for the long hitters, almost mandatory to take 3 to get there. lots of extensive bukering around 270-320 out.... large green, especially with wedge... easy 5 and for better players you are almost expecting 4)
    12. par 4 - 390 ( 3 wood, driver runs through here, big green; another great chance for 3)
    13. par 3 - 175 ( nasty par 3... back left pin and you had better hit a great tee shot and you still have to hope for 3... just a tough freaking hole: always a lot of wind on this one which makes it difficult)
    14. par 4 - 445 ( straightaway... easy, find the fairway you are almost guaranteed 4)
    15. par 5 - 540 ( signature hole... gorgeous... just freaking beat it hard.... can be reached but you must have the balls to hit a small target with a wood.)
    16. par 3 - 185 ( go to the middle, 2 putt and leave)
    17. par 4 - 395 ( dogleg hard right, marsh all down the right.. you will have to carry the marsh twice... unless you drive the green the way SERGIO GARCIA did... it's about a 325 carry)
    18. par 4 - 435 ( right center from the box, right center of the green... its a 4)

i prefer the river but this is a nice change of pace... the rough will ruin your day... very thick bermuda and during the summer you can barely get 9i out of it....

its over 7 from the tips too ...
    ZZZZ Z Z..Z....Z.....z......z.........z...........z...... .......z...................z.................
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

"who in the world would use a LW for a bump and run???"

Er, I do

But I agree re his sentiments on the lob wedge, unless you know how to play it then its a very inconsistent club, but its also crucial to players on links courses.

But playing a 2 iron, same loft as an old 1 iron, its just plain crazy when there are so many easier ways of hitting accurately from distance. Most pros now carry a hybrid, and anyway, this thread is just an ego trip.

so tiger has a big ego is what you are saying?

hmmm....

Yea probably. Why wouldn't he ?

Thread Information