|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Transferring weight

Alright, I've been golfing for around 8 years, and I'm not going to lie. I'm not that great. I mean once in awhile I'll get a par/birdie and whatnot, but I'm not consistent. The other day I played one of my buddies who has been golfing for around three years he said, he's my age (16) and shooting in the 70's.
    Everyone tells me I have a really good looking swing and blah blah, but I can't seem to transfer my weight to hit the ball further. I'm hitting a 5-iron 150 yards using my arms only. My dad told me if I learned how to transfer my weight properly I could add at least another 40 yards to all of my shots. If I could hit the ball farther and put it in on the green from even 230 yards out, then I'm sure my game would improve. But the problem is I just don't seem to 'get' it.

Any ideas?? I'm open to any suggestions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

An easy way to get the weight transfer right is to start the dwonswing with a slight move in the hips, then as the hips rotate left try to have the feeling of crushing a can with your left heel. Be sure to keep a firm left side as you do this and your weight should be transferred perfectly over your left foot. This gets the weight transfer in the correct sequence with the hands and arms pulling the clubhead through imapct following the rest of the body, and you will start hitting it miles.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

"Weight shift/transfer" = Completely over-emphasized in golf instruction.

I can't tell you how many people I play with in a year who do that rocking back and forth in their swing. You can tell they are trying to "shift" their weight, and most of these swings produce horrid results.

The Golf Channel had an instructor on a while back who talked about the most over-stressed golf tips, and weight shift/transfer was one of them. He said that weight shift will, and should happen natually, provided you have good posture, and get your hips turning through the swing with the club making a descending blow. Weight shift/transfer is one of those swing thoughts that will cause you to hit horrible shots all day. As long as you aren't trying to hit up on the ball, you should never have this problem.

As far as you not hitting the ball as far as you think you are capable of, this is probably because you are not making a fluid swing. If you stay loose, feel the weight of the clubhead in your hands, create some lag, and get your hips moving through the shot, distance will take care of itself. The key to the golf swing is the sequence, and the hardest thing for most amateur golfers to do is to stop over-swinging (myself included). Keep your hip turn on the way back in mind to. If you fully release your hips on the backswing, this will reduce the amount of coiling of your body, and thus, the amount of energy you can generate.

My 2.

Try out the drill Gary Player advocates so much. Hit practice shots and take a step forward towards the target. Make sure when you take the step forward your shoulders are square to the target. Start off with about a half swing with a full finish then build your way up to a full wing. My younger brother hangs on his back foot big time. I showed him this drill last week when we played and he hit some monster drives.

daveperk Guest
    I've been transferring weight for years, and I'm sure I do it very well, and yet every time I step on the scale its STILL THERE.

:-)

Seriously, golf swings are coiling/uncoiling. the stored energy of a twisted torso, with shoulders turning to 90 or more degrees, hips turning about half that far, and feet remaining attached to the ground, is how you build the power. Once you've coiled the spring, it's just a matter of letting it uncoil. You do need to finish on your left side, but not necessarily walking toward the hole as Player always did. Watch a modern golfer on TV and you'll see a guy swinging inside a barrel, turning and unturning. It looks effortless, because the effort went into the winding of the spring, and then it sort of unwinds itself.

I'll probably be called a vaginastic *** for saying this, but try a medicus. Though they're not for everyone, they force you to swing on a certain plain, which forces you to shift your weight.
    Lefty:
    Driver - TM Burner 10.5
    3-Wood - TM r580
    Hybrid - Ping G10 21*
    4-PW - '06 Callaway Big Bertha (steel)
    60 - Cleveland CG11 2 dot
    Ping Tour W 56/10 and 52/12
    TM Rossa Monza Spider

Winn G8 grips

Go ahead and dog my setup while you shank your 3i and push putts with your anser.

Bridgestone Tour B330 RX - best ball ever
    Callaway Weekender bag
    Sky Caddie SG3
    Opus X

15.5 and falling

Quote Originally Posted by QueenCityGolfer
    "Weight shift/transfer" = Completely over-emphasized in golf instruction.

I can't tell you how many people I play with in a year who do that rocking back and forth in their swing. You can tell they are trying to "shift" their weight, and most of these swings produce horrid results.

The Golf Channel had an instructor on a while back who talked about the most over-stressed golf tips, and weight shift/transfer was one of them. He said that weight shift will, and should happen natually, provided you have good posture, and get your hips turning through the swing with the club making a descending blow. Weight shift/transfer is one of those swing thoughts that will cause you to hit horrible shots all day. As long as you aren't trying to hit up on the ball, you should never have this problem.

As far as you not hitting the ball as far as you think you are capable of, this is probably because you are not making a fluid swing. If you stay loose, feel the weight of the clubhead in your hands, create some lag, and get your hips moving through the shot, distance will take care of itself. The key to the golf swing is the sequence, and the hardest thing for most amateur golfers to do is to stop over-swinging (myself included). Keep your hip turn on the way back in mind to. If you fully release your hips on the backswing, this will reduce the amount of coiling of your body, and thus, the amount of energy you can generate.

My 2.
    I agree with this. The weight shift should occur naturally. Things like crushing the can also have validity, but out of sequence and not properly transferred to the arms, it can be counterproductive. There's more subtlety and timing to weight shift and lower body action than raw effort.

The other thing I'd point out is keeping the spine angle consistent through the weight shift is critical, for me it helps to think of rolling the feet at the key points back and forward. It also helps me to think the of lower body's role as setting up aggressive, accelerating arm action.

Pros' swings look so quiet because they're so good at firing muscles for a brief instant, and in efficient sequence, transferring force from muscles that have fired to those that follow.

The 'crushing the can' is just a good thought at that part of the swing as it takes your mind off the hands and arms, which shouldn't be doing much at this time except naturally following the rest of the body. Any thoughts that take your mind off the hands and arms during the early part of the downswing will help IMO.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

When I hear about weight shift problems I am thinking one has trouble getting their weight on the back foot in the backswing. Like some of the others have mentioned, it should occur without much thought as a result of a good set up and backswing. I am right handed and ideally the weight in the backswing should be set over the inside of the right foot. You should feel the tension in the right leg and the foot should feel likt it is planted firmly on the ground. I set up with my right foot perpindicular or square to the target line rather than flared out towards the back. Setting the foot square allows me to immediately feel the weight settling on the right foot as I turn back.

Stack and tilt for the win.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

daveperk Guest

Tack and stilt

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Stack and tilt for the win.
    I tried tack and stilt, but those damn tacks are sharp, and when I got up on the stilts I couldn't quite reach the ball.

That said, I could sure see farther down the fairway.

power can come from a coil, not a weight shift. Try rotating around your right hip on your backswing, and release on the downswing. Shifting weight could shift your body around too much, causing your head to sway, and you wouldn't want that

I like the "step through" drill to learn what it feels like to finish on the left side. But the vast majority of golfers who think they have a "weight-transfer" problem actually have a sequencing problem. The arms get disconnected. I like the drill where you hold two small towels (headcovers, whatever) under the armpits, and make 3/4 swings, not allowing the towels to fall out. This drill will help ingrain the feeling of using the lower body to drive the swing.

Thread Information