|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Swing Flaw

Swing Flaw

Hi All

Since I am located in the North East I have decided to get a jump on the golf season and just started to take some golf lessons at Golf Galaxy. From the sessions that I have taken my swing has gotten more consistent and longer. I still have a problem with my left arm breaking down on the follow thru I think some people call it a left arm chicken wing. I tried some drills such as swinging with my right arm only to increase rotation of my wrist. I have also tried putting a golf glove under my left armpit while I am swinging. These drills have helped but I still can see this problem on video in my swing. Does anyone have any other drills to help get rid of this problem. My instructor thinks this problem is caused by my rotation of my wrist need to be better on my follow thru. Any ideas on what can help?

Thanks

LPSK
    My Bag

Callaway FT-5 10* Driver
    Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood
    Adams Idea Pro 3&4 Hybrid
    Mizuno MX-25 Irons 5-PW
    Mizuno MP-T Series 51*,56*,60*
    Macgregor V-Foil Putter or
    Odyssey 2-Ball Blade Putter

If you can't fix it with something simple, i.e.think left elbow pointing at ground during first 2/3 of follow -through, then there's probably some underlying problem the chicken wing is a compensation for. Your arms might be pulled in against your body, not hanging to swing freely, you could be swinging from the top, which itself could be for compensation, or it could be many other things. This is where a good instructor comes in. Yours seems to see it as the basic problem. If he's a hack, he could be missing the real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LPSK01
    Hi All

Since I am located in the North East I have decided to get a jump on the golf season and just started to take some golf lessons at Golf Galaxy. From the sessions that I have taken my swing has gotten more consistent and longer. I still have a problem with my left arm breaking down on the follow thru I think some people call it a left arm chicken wing. I tried some drills such as swinging with my right arm only to increase rotation of my wrist. I have also tried putting a golf glove under my left armpit while I am swinging. These drills have helped but I still can see this problem on video in my swing. Does anyone have any other drills to help get rid of this problem. My instructor thinks this problem is caused by my rotation of my wrist need to be better on my follow thru. Any ideas on what can help?

Thanks

LPSK
    try to stretch your arms toward the target on your follow-through... feel like you are actually trying to touch the flag.... also you should follow-through to the right of your target down the line is acceptable too but never to the left of it...

I think it was Harvey Penick that said the wrists should be ignored when thinking about the golf swing. You're better off thinking in terms of the forearms.

Try rotating your forearms to the right (clockwise) on the backswing and on the downswing rotate them back to the left (counter clockwise).

A few examples of how the forearms work in the golf swing:
    1-Just like a swinging a baseball bat.
    2.-Having your right hand on top of a steering wheel (12:00) and turning the wheel to the right then back to the left.
    3-Think of using a giant screw driver. First you turn it to the right then turn it to the left.

Just work on the motions at home without a ball. Try to get into the positions you want to see on video by swinging in superslow motion. (always pickout a spot on the floor where the ball would be)

Thread Information