|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Full swing critique

Feel free to have fun. Takeaway today was just awful, I knew I was pulling it too far inside. Other than that, input and suggestions are appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB9uzwv_a1I
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Posting your swing on GR is suicide. Prepare to get grilled.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    Posting your swing on GR is suicide. Prepare to get grilled.
    hahaha, that is actually true
    Taylormade r7 425 10.5* S 65g RE*AX
    Taylormade r7 st 15* S 70g RE*AX
    Titleist 735.CM 3-PW S300
    Taylormade TP Satin 52.08
    Taylormade TP Satin 56.12
    Titleist Vokey SM60.08
    Odyssey White Hot XG #9 33"
    (Left Handed)

Fully aware.. Oh well. If I get a couple good points from it, I can deal with the abuse. At least I'm not wearing cargo shorts
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    Fully aware.. Oh well. If I get a couple good points from it, I can deal with the abuse. At least I'm not wearing cargo shorts
    Good point. nor do you have a flippy motion on the follow though. See, you're already 2 up on the field!
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

the very first and basic thing that i would work on is your head moves off the ball way too much... there are other things but if you keep your head still the others will be easier to work on...

first things first... the positive... you are indeed holding the correct end of the club.

actually your setup looks pretty solid.

the lateral slide you have off the ball will require impeccable timing and thus should be the first thing you work on

another thing is at the top you are in good position but if you pause the video just after the start of the downswing and take a "straight edge" ( ruler, paper, etc..) and lay it along the shaft of the club you will see that the butt of the club is pointing way outside the ball... it should be pointing relatively straight at the ball, which means you are laid off, or flat on the way down....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrt2AkaJ6CY&NR=1

do the straight edge test on tiger and you will see the difference...

Omen
    Last edited by Omen2; 01-24-2008 at 05:36 PM.
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    the very first and basic thing that i would work on is your head moves off the ball way too much... there are other things but if you keep your head still the others will be easier to work on...

I see alot of good things. Rythm and tempo are more important than most technical stuff. I agree with Ping, you lose your spine angle which seems to result from relying on the body too much in your swing. Speed up the arms; quiet down the body. You also don't complete your turn and are laid off. Get to the top and then give your arms time to unwind. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I see alot of good things. Rythm and tempo are more important than most technical stuff. I agree with Ping, you lose your spine angle which seems to result from relying on the body too much in your swing. Speed up the arms; quiet down the body. You also don't complete your turn and are laid off. Get to the top and then give your arms time to unwind. Good luck.
    idk i think he completes his backswing... i just dont think that his arm swing is too terribly long... not a bad thing in fact look at retief goosen... i do think that he completes it fine though... but you are a bit laid off...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc5iP...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMnzC...eature=related

idk i think he completes his backswing... i just dont think that his arm swing is too terribly long... not a bad thing in fact look at retief goosen... i do think that he completes it fine though... but you are a bit laid off...

He completes the swing with his arms but doesn't turn his hips. Convert that hip slide into a turn and you'll really boost your power. Oh, and Swing Harder!!!
    Driver--Callaway Big Bertha 460 (Go big or go home)
    3 Wood--Meridian
    Hybrid--Callaway Heavenwood 2H
    3-PW--Meridian
    SW--Cleveland (the old kind that rusts)
    60°--NIke Forged
    Putter--Ping CraZ

Quote Originally Posted by SwingHarder
    He completes the swing with his arms but doesn't turn his hips. Convert that hip slide into a turn and you'll really boost your power. Oh, and Swing Harder!!!
    i disagree... his hips turn enough and they dont slide... but he is way too active with his upper body...

Nice swing video. I like the way the down-the-line and face on swings are synced up.

Swing looks pretty good at impact, but like Omen said the less compensation you need to make the more consistent you'll be. A lot of compensations are brought on by something in the setup.
    Last edited by The Purist; 01-24-2008 at 07:38 PM.

I see what your saying in terms of the chest and shoulders, but it's not a turn as I think of one, his whole body is moving around but there isn't resistance building against his lower body. A real turn has a quieter lower and resistance. The other thing which is a little harder to decipher is flatness which could be his way of avoiding resistance. But you're a one planer, aren't you? If so, you may see flatness differently than me.

Goosen has an interesting swing. Talk about a quiet body. He has great width so he doesn't need to get to parallel, which seems to be where the modern swing may be going. Although I couldn't tell what kind of iron it was. But he almost has a reverse pivot which surprised me.

Definitely laid off at the top. It's pretty interesting that your stature is very similiar to mine and I had a lot of the same issues that you are dealing with right now up until about a year ago. I am curious about your misses. High, weak blocks? Low snaps hooks on occasion? Hit thin shots very often?

Quote Originally Posted by Rainkingjr
    Definitely laid off at the top. It's pretty interesting that your stature is very similiar to mine and I had a lot of the same issues that you are dealing with right now up until about a year ago. I am curious about your misses. High, weak blocks? Low snaps hooks on occasion? Hit thin shots very often?
    My misses tend to be when I get quick, and they're either high blocks or a pull hook. If I'm just swinging what feels like a half swing, I get a nice little draw. I catch it thin mostly when I'm really trying to force a yardage.

As for shoulder/hip turn, at the top I was 103/46. It used to be in the high 110's but I was even more laid off than what you currently see. That right there was my "3/4 swing". It drives my instructor nuts, but to me it feels like the grip is just barely over my right shoulder.

Any tips/drills reccomended for ditching the lateral slide/head movement? I've been told a little head movement is ok, but only a few inches max. I'm pretty sure I move a solid 8-10. And sliding, well.. I'm all over the place lol

PS - Appreciate all the helpful comments so far!
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

Any tips/drills reccomended for ditching the lateral slide/head movement? I've been told a little head movement is ok, but only a few inches max. I'm pretty sure I move a solid 8-10. And sliding, well.. I'm all over the place lol
    a lot of instructors have conflicting arguments on his so i would recomend you do what your instructor tells you... my instructor teaches not lateral or horizontal head movement... for me lateral isnt the isseu but horizontal seems to get me occasionally...

as for drills the simplest one is to have someone hold your head while you swing...

daveperk Guest
    Feel free to have fun. Takeaway today was just awful, I knew I was pulling it too far inside. Other than that, input and suggestions are appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB9uzwv_a1I
    Doesn't look too far inside to me.

But what happened to the rest of your sports bra?

how to stop the lateral slide...

pretend your head is in a vice and take several very slow half swings... the slide is a product of " i want to hit it hard" by that i mean no one slides on their chip shots....

you want to know what a full swing is like with no slide... have a friend hold a club against the left side of your temple and take a full swing while maintaining contact... you likely wont be able to do it at full speed so go slow.

your slide is pretty significant... most pros dont slide that much when the back out of a shot much less when they actually make a swing...

Omen
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

True about the slide but what I noticed was that you don't seem to have much control over the club either. Or better still, no actual release. Overall, especially at the finish, it looks like you're letting the club simply drop and push through the ball.

bd
    Titleist 975D 8.5*
    Titleist 975F 13.5*
    Titleist 690.MB 2-PW
    TT DG X100
    Titleist 5611 SW
    Titleist 6000s LW
    Probe 20/20 brass putter
    (LH)
    Bag: Titleist SC-25

Thread Information