|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Launch Angle???

Launch Angle???

What is the optimum range for the launch angle of a driver, I'm looking to see what loft angle i want for a new driver

11-13* is generally where you want it to be.

Omen
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    11-13* is generally where you want it to be.

Omen
    You should check out the new Bang-o-matic 15 deg.driver. Might fit your bag.

Your swing speed, wristcock release point, and angle of attack, all factor in to what loft you will need. Without a launch monitor you will be guessing. Get fitted by a professional it really is the only way to guarantee a proper fit.

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    Your swing speed, wristcock release point, and angle of attack, all factor in to what loft you will need. Without a launch monitor you will be guessing. Get fitted by a professional it really is the only way to guarantee a proper fit.
    Right. The correct answer is, "It depends," because there are a lot of variables involved. There is no one single, simplistic, "one size fits all" answer to this question.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

You should check out the new Bang-o-matic 15 deg.driver. Might fit your bag.
    I've already got a 3 wood lol. I went to a golfsmith and was around 16 degrees with an 11.5 driver, so i might go with a 8.5-9.5

Quote Originally Posted by Monchief
    I've already got a 3 wood lol. I went to a golfsmith and was around 16 degrees with an 11.5 driver, so i might go with a 8.5-9.5
    a high launch isnt a bad thing if you launch it 16* with a 85-90mph SS it may be optimal... so dont go overboard and get something that launches too low... it is my experience that it is usually better to launch high than too low...

So you have a 16* launch angle with an 11.5* driver. This alone is not much help. We still need to see spin rate and swing speed to begin putting those numbers into context.

IMO too low a launch is going to be longer than too high. Too high a launch will usually be straighter. You want to be somewhere in the middle.

I am probably going to reshaft my 10.5º Burner because I feel it's launching much too high & taking away from distance. Right now it's equipped with an Aldila NVS 65gm shaft.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Hey Omen, it's about time you got rid of all of that Mizuno blade & Titleist driver crap. And especially the SC putter. Carrying that kind of stuff only shows that you have game and don't need clubs that hit your shots for you. I'm seriously thinking about losing my player's irons, because on those times that I miss-hit them, I don't deserve to be punished. And F the prov1 golf ball, just because it's long off the tee, and responds like a veteran bird dog around the greens means nothing. it's still over-priced.

I'm think some PING O/S BLADES, F2 series wedges so I can never hit them fat, and definately getting rid of my better-player fairways for some offset, oversized Nickent hybrids. Man I can't wait!! What do you advise for a putter? Maybe the Odyssey Tri-hot with the huge saturn ring around it so it's physically impossible for my ball to go offline!
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    Hey Omen, it's about time you got rid of all of that Mizuno blade & Titleist driver crap. And especially the SC putter. Carrying that kind of stuff only shows that you have game and don't need clubs that hit your shots for you. I'm seriously thinking about losing my player's irons, because on those times that I miss-hit them, I don't deserve to be punished. And F the prov1 golf ball, just because it's long off the tee, and responds like a veteran bird dog around the greens means nothing. it's still over-priced.

I'm think some PING O/S BLADES, F2 series wedges so I can never hit them fat, and definately getting rid of my better-player fairways for some offset, oversized Nickent hybrids. Man I can't wait!! What do you advise for a putter? Maybe the Odyssey Tri-hot with the huge saturn ring around it so it's physically impossible for my ball to go offline!
    Gee I can't wait for you to polish them up for that first photo shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Gee I can't wait for you to polish them up for that first photo shoot.
    Are all New Zealanders complete douchebags or are you & Frank Nobilo the lone exceptions?

Are all New Zealanders complete douchebags or are you & Frank Nobilo the lone exceptions?
    Actually we are all gentlemen like myself and Sir Bob Charles.
    Last edited by Kiwi Player; 01-19-2008 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 19handicap
    Mod Squad wanna be....
    No thanks! I've edited my response. I hope it's more to your liking?

Their rugby team also makes Greg Norman look cool and composed under pressure.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I really think you and Omen should consider a long putter for your set make up. It could fit in the bag right next to the ball retriever.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Their rugby team also makes Greg Norman look cool and composed under pressure.
    LOL I have to agree 100% with you Hacker.

The All Blacks are the rugby equivalent of Greg Norman.

You'll get no arguement from me there.

LOL I have to agree 100% with you Hacker.

The All Blacks are the rugby equivalent of Greg Norman.

You'll get no arguement from me there.
    But our team did a pretty good Norman impression too so I'm in a bit fo a glass house on that one .

I really think you and Omen should consider a long putter for your set make up. It could fit in the bag right next to the ball retriever.
    It's on order! I also picked up a few bags of brush tees. That way I won't get any paint on the sole of my new sweet hybrids when I tee off on those short par 3s.

In answer to the original question, it depends on what sort of golfer you are. If you are a golfer that needs a hybrid in the bag then anything above grass level would be a good launch angle as it would beat the cold tops that a swing that relies on hybrids to get it in the air would usually produce with a driver.

If you have a swing that doesn't rely on the crutch hybrids provide then what Lyle says.

But our team did a pretty good Norman impression too so I'm in a bit fo a glass house on that one .
    Key difference.

You guys had an ordinary, aging team who did about as well as should have been expected. We had a brilliant team who CHOKED big time (as usual at RWC).

Oh well at least the Jappies carried the day for the Southern Hemisphere.

Key difference.

You guys had an ordinary, aging team who did about as well as should have been expected. We had a brilliant team who CHOKED big time (as usual at RWC).

Oh well at least the Jappies carried the day for the Southern Hemisphere.

You guys had your best team since 1995, but at least during that choke you had a good excuse for choking, the whole team got food poisoning haha. I think ths year was a massive choke too but that 1995 team was the best rugby team I will ever see in my lifetime and it was incomprehensible they could lose.

You guys had your best team since 1995, but at least during that choke you had a good excuse for choking, the whole team got food poisoning haha. I think ths year was a massive choke too but that 1995 team was the best rugby team I will ever see in my lifetime and it was incomprehensible they could lose.
    I don't call 1995 a choke, apart from the food poisoning they just met an inspired Springbok team on the day and after 100 minutes of rugby it came down to one drop goal. One side has to lose. I was there and it was unbelievably intense in the unique way that only Springbok v All Black tests are.

Great All Black v Wallaby tests are usually tests of skill and flair but the Sprinboks bring that unbelievable physical intensity.

But yes this was our best side since 1995 and their record over the past 3 years suggested they should win or at least make the final. But to bow out in the quarter finals was an utter disgrace.

1991 wasn't a choke, Wallaby's were the better team but 1999, 2003 and 2007 all big time CHOKES!

Well that's enough of that. At this rate this thread may get moved to the Non Golf Discussion - LOL.

daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyna
    I am probably going to reshaft my 10.5º Burner because I feel it's launching much too high & taking away from distance. Right now it's equipped with an Aldila NVS 65gm shaft.
    I had that same problem in earlier drivers, and I learned that it's about tip stiffness.

The softer the tip, the more backspin and higher launch you get, and the shorter your drives.

Unless, of course, your swingspeed is slower than 90 mph, in which case you probably get better results from a soft tip.

That's one factor that it really helps to know, your clubhead speed on driver swing. If it's 100mph or over, you really need stiff shaft with firm tip and high or med high kickpoint.

If it's over 110, even an X shaft might be right. But definitely the firm tip and the high kickpoint.

softer tip and lower kickpoint turn your driver into a five wood, if you have a strong clubhead speed.

(thanks to LyleG for priceless lessons on modern high tech golf)

Thread Information