|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Graphite vs. Steel Shaft

I have a really old set of Dunlops (15+ years) and have been out shopping for new clubs. I have tried Callaway, Macgregor, Ben Hogan, Mizuno, Cobra and Ping. One thing I have decided is a must is graphite shafts. I have damage to my right shoulder from a dislocation from an auto accident. Regardless I like the fact the graphite is really light and does not transmit the vibration to your hands as much.

When I was at one of the stores one of the sales morons tries to convince me that I do not need graphite. He says you swing quick enough that you do not need graphite. I said I hear you but I like the fact that they are light and do not transmit the vibration. He continues pressing the steel shafts up to the point that I walked out.

Its not like its your money I am spending. Its mine and will do what I want.

Right now I am leaning toward the Callaway Big Bertha's or the MacGregors. I figure that I might as well buy really good clubs because I am planning on having them for a long, long time.

In general, you may not need graphite over steel if you have a faster swing. But in general, you are right, a store attendant should have more brains than to try and tell you what club would work better for any medical related condition. I tend to believe if they had their MD, they would not be working retail. I think I would have done the same thing by walking out.

Just my opinion, but if you haven't already, you may talk to your doctor about this. You will get more speed because of the lighter weight of the graphite. Not sure if that is a good thing, and that you will not re-injure your shoulder. On the flip side the added weight of the steel shaft could be bad or good, not sure which or either. He could also give you some good stretching techniques for the shoulder.

Good luck on the recover. I hurt my shoulder playing Soccer (Goalie) prior to taking up golf, fortunately I very seldom ever feel it during golf, but I do alot of shoulder stretching prior to the round. After giving up playing Goalie because of a bad shoulder and bad knees, I tore my calf years later playing the field. This was after I started Golf. At that point, as much as I hated it, I gave up soccer. Golf was about the same amount of fun, and alot less stress on the body.

Good luck!

Just to throw my 2 cents in...

Steel is considered a more accurate shaft unless you get into the really high dollar graphites. Since irons are you scoring clubs I would give this some consideration.

True Temper has some vibration dampening steel shafts if that is your main concern. If weight is then stay in the graphite shafts.
    Last edited by College Golf; 07-11-2005 at 07:51 AM. Reason: <sp>
    Cheers,
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by College Golf
    True Temper has some vibration dampening steel shafts if that is your main concern. If weight is then stay in the graphite shafts.
    I didn't say anything on this, because I didn't know enough about it or even really think about it when I bought new clubs. But the True Temper Shafts on my Pings seem to have far less vibration or sting than the Fat shaft graphites I came from, I just assumed it was all maybe because of the club head makeup.

The one thing I have heard from a clubmaker is that graphite shafts can really hurt a starting player. Graphite shaft can have more flex and as a result might augment your swing - this can be good or bad. A strait shot might go further with graphite, or slice more on an improper swing. But this is just what I was told as a rookie.

I started off with regular steel True Temper shafts and plan on changing to graphite when my swing gets a little more under control. But right now my game doesn't merit any changes. Just trying to keep things as simple as possible.

As for the vibration thing, I only notice it when I don't strike the ball properly.

e

Quote Originally Posted by erock139
    The one thing I have heard from a clubmaker is that graphite shafts can really hurt a starting player. Graphite shaft can have more flex and as a result might augment your swing - this can be good or bad. A strait shot might go further with graphite, or slice more on an improper swing. But this is just what I was told as a rookie.

I started off with regular steel True Temper shafts and plan on changing to graphite when my swing gets a little more under control. But right now my game doesn't merit any changes. Just trying to keep things as simple as possible.

As for the vibration thing, I only notice it when I don't strike the ball properly.

e
    When u do get better u may find u want to just stay with steel and maby go to a stiffer steel shaft as far as control and workability I find them to be the best.
    Every set should come with a 2 iron!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Graphite Shafts

I just placed an order for a set of Ping G2's with regular graphite shafts. I have battled elbow and tendon problems for several years. I had the nerve conductor tests, cortisone shots (painful - 1st one provided relief for 3 months or so; 2nd one did nothing), and finally surgery on the right elbow. It took a fair amount of rehab, but my elbow is much better. Though it still bothers me on days of over use.

Anyhow, I was fitted 3 times - 2 teaching pro's and a Ping rep. All recommended either steel with the cushion inserts or graphite - my choice. The teaching pro with whom I am working with on my swing (and fitted me for the Pings) recommended graphite. I'm not getting younger (49) and my swing speed is consistently 82-85 with irons. I liked the feel of the graphite shafts and went with it. I have't gotten them yet, so I can't tell you how much loner they are or how accurate they are. I liked the feel throughout the swing, and to me confidence is worth something.

Also, I by no means am knowledgeable about shafts, but I have to wonder why 90% of the woods and hybrids I see are graphite. I understand that some say steel shafted irons are more accurate, but I have seen some poor shots with those clubs too - including my own. Best advice - hit the clubs and see what it is like. Get what you want and don't look back. Like you said, it is your money.

I've played a lot of different shafts, ranging from various True Temper and Rifle products to high quality graphite shafts from Graphite Design, Aldila, and Apache.
    Some observations I've made: The graphite shafts pretty much all are less jarring to the joints than ANY of the steel shafts. Yes, I've had Sensicore which is supposed to dampen vibrations even better than graphite. I don't think it does nearly as good a job as simply having graphite shafts. I used to have more pain in my elbows and wrists after playing steel shafts vs. minimal stress on the same joints with graphite. More recently I'm playing the True Temper Tour Concept shafts, which are steel but feel a lot like graphite. They are rather absurdly priced, but I experimented with them on a couple of wedges and liked them so much I put them in my irons, too. They are the only shafts I've personally hit which feel like the high quality graphite (GAT 95 or 115'sm or Apache MFS 115's) yet have the precision of steel shafts. Even saying that, the Tour Concepts still aren't as forgiving to the joints as graphite. If you have a genuine orthopedic reason to play graphite, play graphite, IMHO
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

The feedback I get from steel is one of the big reasons that I play them. Love the way I can feel the club when I swing and hit, and I have yet to hit grafite shafts that feel that way in irons hit some in drivers and woods that are very close. However i am no 30 yet and have never suffered jiont soreness except for when I played with a broaken thumb on my left hand and had to cut off the cast to grip corectly. But if it does hurt alot when I get older hopefully by then they will have something that has the same feel and is easy on the joints.
    Every set should come with a 2 iron!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I've played a lot of different shafts, ranging from various True Temper and Rifle products to high quality graphite shafts from Graphite Design, Aldila, and Apache.
    Some observations I've made: The graphite shafts pretty much all are less jarring to the joints than ANY of the steel shafts. Yes, I've had Sensicore which is supposed to dampen vibrations even better than graphite. I don't think it does nearly as good a job as simply having graphite shafts. I used to have more pain in my elbows and wrists after playing steel shafts vs. minimal stress on the same joints with graphite. More recently I'm playing the True Temper Tour Concept shafts, which are steel but feel a lot like graphite. They are rather absurdly priced, but I experimented with them on a couple of wedges and liked them so much I put them in my irons, too. They are the only shafts I've personally hit which feel like the high quality graphite (GAT 95 or 115'sm or Apache MFS 115's) yet have the precision of steel shafts. Even saying that, the Tour Concepts still aren't as forgiving to the joints as graphite. If you have a genuine orthopedic reason to play graphite, play graphite, IMHO
    Very informative, thanks. Have you tried the Rifle 6.5? I got a Callaway Forged + gap wedge with that, from their pre-owned site, it seems a bit lighter than my Forged SW with the stock True Temper Callaway shaft. Was thinking of putting it on my other 2 wedges too...

Quote Originally Posted by rhinogolfer
    Very informative, thanks. Have you tried the Rifle 6.5? I got a Callaway Forged + gap wedge with that, from their pre-owned site, it seems a bit lighter than my Forged SW with the stock True Temper Callaway shaft. Was thinking of putting it on my other 2 wedges too...
    There seem to be three schools of thought about wedge shafts vs. iron shafts.
    1. You need stiffer wedge shafts because great precision is required from wedges.
    2. Play the same shafts as in your irons.
    3. Play softer shafts in the wedges to promote more feel on touch shots around the green.

I've tried it all 3 ways. I've played Rifle 5.0's and 5.5's in my irons and 6.5's in the wedges. Some people love this approach, but I hated it. I had no touch around the green.
    I tried Rifle Spinners in the wedges. They have a nice feel for me, though some complain that they lose accuracy on full shots.
    Currently, I'm playing R3 flex Tour Concepts in both my irons and wedges and absolutely love them in both the wedges and irons.
    "There's more than one way to remove the dermis and epidermis from a furry feline"........
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Rankmark.com did a test of graphite vs. steel shafts. Here is the link................

http://www.rankmark.com/special/shafts.asp

"Each player hit 4 balls..."

I immediately take that test with a grain of salt. Unless this test is being done with a robot, with the same iron heads, who swings consistently, I cannot believe it.

People have human tendencies, same in golf. What if one swing was better than another? This is especially true once the handicaps get over 15.

Interesting Results

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyharris
    Rankmark.com did a test of graphite vs. steel shafts. Here is the link................

http://www.rankmark.com/special/shafts.asp
    I have this theory that graphite may not be necessarily longer than steel. But since graphite is generally easier on the tendons, elbows, etc., folks might have a little more confidence hitting the graphite shafts and make better swings and contact. At least with me, I can remember 2-3 years ago, I would feel pain on each iron shot. Eventually this lead to a slight flinch at contact with some bad results. It felt like I was hitting a concrete block with the club. Golf was no fun so I didn't play much.

Since the surgery and rehab, I have been getting back into golf. I'm looking forward to the new clubs. I just got a call that my new G2's came in today. Hope to get out this weekend.

I'm headed towards steel shafts in my next set of irons. Mainly #1 for the accuracy as mentioned before, but #2, the shafts play shorter then the graphites. The average difference seems to be 1/2", but the irons that I want to get and the ones I'm playing now (graphite) the difference is 3/4".

Not having to choke down as much on an iron is almost reason enough for me to make the switch.

I played graphite for about two years, and I can honestly say that steel is about a hundred times more accurate than graphite. The weight simply keeps your swing on your singpath while the graphite let you come out of your swing more.

I heard that all the major manufacturers are doing a special promotion if you buy a set of irons equipped with graphite shafts. Yeah, they'll throw in a tube of Super Poly-Grip and a box of Depends for free!!!

Anyone knows why the degree symbol on my signature keeps changing after I correct it ?

[COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=1]
    NIKE Ignite 460, Grafalloy Blue, Lucky 13*
    CLEVELAND Launcher, Grafalloy ProLite, 17*
    NIKE CPR Woods, UST Mid Kick, 22* + 26*
    NIKE Slingshots, True Temper, 5 - PW + SW
    CLEVELAND 900 Tour Action Gun Metal, 60*
    SCOTTY CAMERON Red X2, 35"
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/B]

I am 56 years old and have been playing used Mizuno Comp EZ with graphite shafts for 7 months only...

So when I decided to buy a new set of irons, obviously I was going to get graphite shafts...

I went to the driving range and tested the 6 iron of Ben Hogan CFT, MacGregor M455, NIKE Slingshot and Nicklaus EZ, all with steel shafts, I was almost decided to go with the CFTs from my research...

First, the steel shafts felt like an electric shock on mishits, except NIKE´s True Temper, those felt as smooth as graphite, on every hit, plus they where the most forguiving irons of the lot...

So I decided to get the Slingshots and came back next day to test their graphite shafts + CPR hybrids and Ignite driver, to my surprise, the distance was similar and I felt a lot more control with the steel shafts, also they are cheaper and last longer, so against common sense I bought steel shafts...

[COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=1]
    NIKE Ignite 460, Grafalloy Blue, Lucky 13*
    CLEVELAND Launcher, Grafalloy ProLite, 17*
    NIKE CPR Woods, UST Mid Kick, 22* + 26*
    NIKE Slingshots, True Temper, 5 - PW + SW
    CLEVELAND 900 Tour Action Gun Metal, 60*
    SCOTTY CAMERON Red X2, 35"
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/B]

Graphite versus Regular

Ten years ago, I bought a set of Wilson Fat Shafts with Hypercarbon (graphite) shaft in Regular flex. I hit these side by side with a set of Top Flite Tours with Steel in regular. The difference in accuracy between the tru was night and day. I swore I would never use graphite again.

I am going to be 48 this year and play an absurd amount of golf. I am hitting MacGregor M565s with rifle 4.5 shafts. I went to the 4.5s because I am getting older. The problem is that I am still hooking the ball and switched back to stiff shafts. My hands and arms really started hurting. What to do? I decided to play set of m565s I purchased in stiff graphite (equivilant to 6.1 rifles) - These irons are much more accurate than the 4.5s for me right now.

I have concluded the following - it all depends on you. Graphite shafts are significantly lighter (most of the time), and this will increase swing speed. I believe matching shaft flex to a persons swing is very important. Right now, the regular flex shaft accentuates a hook. I suspect 10 years from now the opposite will be true.

I can tell you this - the graphite shafts really do reduce vibration and I am going to stick with Graphite Designs YS Technologies stiff shafts in my irons with one exception. My gap wedges are in steel. I still believe steel shafts are much better around the greens. Anything from 110 yards is getting steel - outside this graphite.

Also note, that one manufacturer's stiff is anothers regulars is another person's stiff. Rifle and True Temper make consistent steel shafts you can count on.

One final comment - don't make the mistake and assume you know for sure. Hit a number of clubs in both and find the club that is best for you. Confidence in the clubs you are hitting is very important. There are many fine clubs, and I really do believe getting the right flex for you is more important than graphite or regular.

I started with graphite shaft about 8 years ago but switched to steel shaft cos i find that steel gives better feedback than graphite and performs more consistently. I recently tried irons with graphite shafts and found that they're getting better particularly those from Japanese manufacturer such as Graphite Design, Fujikura and NSPro. I suspect that graphite shafts by Grafalloy and Aldila have also improved alot. If you have a medical condition (as did my friend), it's a good idea to use graphite. Apart from giving less vibration, one of the biggest plus factor of graphite is its weight. 50grams less weight on your irons will be a lot easier on your shoulders.
    Buying irons off the rack at golf shops is a tricky business if you are a beginner. Regular flex of one brand may be stiffer or softer than the other. A good idea is to custom fit. The fitter will recommend the correct flex/kick point after observing your swing. There are plenty of good component iron heads in the market such as golfworks, kzg, golfsmith etc. If you don't like components, get fitted at Ping or Callaway etc but it will cost you more. Either way, you win cos apart from getting the right shaft and iron head design, you get the correct lie angle. In short, a tailor made solution.
    Last edited by VolT6; 05-05-2008 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bethpage caddy
    .......I can honestly say that steel is about a hundred times more accurate than graphite......
    Another example of why we need BPC back. His hyperbole is priceless and sorely missed.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

golf rewards honesty and self-knowledge.

i like steel. feels more accurate for me.

my swing's with quick tempo. if my swing got to be far more smooth and my game approached Sinlge Digits, I may feel better about graphite.

i trust my swing pro and my equipment pro (who does frequency matching on my shafts) that both advised me: i'll be best with Stiff or Light Stiff steel.

matter of fact, i may re-shaft my 4 wood and my other driver, a SMT 455, with light steel to compare with my graphite woods.

i had a Regular flex graphite hybrid, a Callaway, that felt like a noodle while I preferred results with my then S300 4 iron.

if a day comes when I thought distance was more important then accuracy to play well from the back tees than i may consider graphite shafts. if you're swing's smooth, reliable, and fast then, of course, get the lightest set up...duh. but that's not my game: i'm a happy gardner, hoe-ing up a storm, tossing turf and chuckles, on my way to breaking 90, on a good day.

that's what i like: golf rewards honesty and self-knowledge.

i'm looking forward to my 1.5 hour golf lesson this Saturday.
    Last edited by ironman; 05-07-2008 at 01:34 AM.
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

I have been playing a set of Nike NDS irons with graphite shafts for 2 and a half seasons, and still have a set of Cleveland TA4s with True Temper Steel Shafts that I have been playing snce 2000. Last year was my full first season back from a bad hip and spine injury that has since healed. I since used the spring, winter and last fall to lift weights and do intenisve cardio and isometric exercises that has made me much stronger and in turn given me a more powerful, longer and quicker swing speed. If you swing very quickly with the graphite shafted irons, you may end up turning the club head too open or closed and end up blocking the ball to the left or right, if not an actual curving slice or hook. So, the graphite is meant for getting more velocity with a slower swing. The steel feels hardere upon impact and that too can influence your shot in a negative way. On the other hand, the steel allows you to swing really hard and fast and you can really rocket the ball. I definitely recommend graphite in woods and/or hybrids. I am beginning to learn to play my graphtie shafted irons to my improved swing. Distance wise, the steels might give me 5 more yards than my graphites, but that is with a power swing. I am consistently longer with the graphite. Steels allow more workable shots like power fades and controlled draws, as well as low flying punch shots. It really comes down to feel. I like the feel of graphite on a normal swing, but the feel of steel on a full blown shot. Graphite on my 3 and 4 irons however are most welcome. My best advice is to demo both a steel and a graphte set of irons that you like and see and feel what seems right for you.

From a fitting perspective the only difference between most steel shafts and most graphite shafts is weight and vibration dampening. Graphite in most cases, not all, will be lighter and reduce impact vibrations more (but not always) than steel. From a playing perspective, two shafts that weigh the same, and profile the same, will play exactly the same regardless of if they are graphite or steel.

steel shafts dont cause pain, your swing does

your going to hit bad shots so it makes sense that people with medical conditions want to avoid the sting.

But if your swing is causing a sting with regular steel shafts on a routine basis the problem is not the shaft, there's something very wrong with your swing.

reading some of the responses on this thread I think many would benefit from lessons not new shafts. Steel shafts should not cause ANY strain on joints or hands unless you've really mishit the shot.

There is absolutely no reason to use graphite shafts in irons except for the five inches between the ears. There are several makers of ultra-light weight steel shafts and, with the proper flex, length, and vibration controls inserted inside the shaft during assembly, steel can be as friendly as fiber.

I like how this guy walks out of a store where somebody is trying to make his game better, because he thinks spending more money will be the end to all problems.

Quote Originally Posted by tincanman99 View Post
    I have a really old set of Dunlops (15+ years) and have been out shopping for new clubs. I have tried Callaway, Macgregor, Ben Hogan, Mizuno, Cobra and Ping. One thing I have decided is a must is graphite shafts. I have damage to my right shoulder from a dislocation from an auto accident. Regardless I like the fact the graphite is really light and does not transmit the vibration to your hands as much.

When I was at one of the stores one of the sales morons tries to convince me that I do not need graphite. He says you swing quick enough that you do not need graphite. I said I hear you but I like the fact that they are light and do not transmit the vibration. He continues pressing the steel shafts up to the point that I walked out.

Right now I am leaning toward the Callaway Big Bertha's or the MacGregors. I figure that I might as well buy really good clubs because I am planning on having them for a long, long time.
    Good golfer don't bend the clubshaft because they don't exert leverage; they swing the clubhead centrifugally. SOOO, the
    flex characteristics of the club shaft simply make no difference!!!

FAR better for most golfers would be to learn to swing correctly-- take lessons and do the drills.

First and foremost is to learn to make the transition weight shift. Learn to take it up and then roll it behind you AS you shift your weight to your front leg. If you take it up and swing, you will make an "all arms" swing. Discussing the shaft material among golfers who swing like that is laughable.

Larry

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf View Post
    Good golfer don't bend the clubshaft because they don't exert leverage; they swing the clubhead centrifugally. SOOO, the
    flex characteristics of the club shaft simply make no difference!!!
    You just presented a video of someone driving the ball with a very short backswing and he most certainly does bend the shaft.

I'll bet Kevin cares about the flex characteristics of his shafts when he plays.

FAR better for most golfers would be to learn to swing correctly-- take lessons and do the drills.

First and foremost is to learn to make the transition weight shift. Learn to take it up and then roll it behind you AS you shift your weight to your front leg. If you take it up and swing, you will make an "all arms" swing. Discussing the shaft material among golfers who swing like that is laughable.
    You presenting yourself as any kind of authority on anything to do with golf is laughable, Larry.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

I know several guys that switched to graphite when they hit 70 and are now getting better distance than they were before. I think the lighter the shaft the better as you begin to get older and start losing strength. I don't think there's any need to go to graphite until you're in your 70's. I tried graphite and I hated the feel. The only graphite shafted iron I've hit and really liked the feel of was the Callaway X-12 with RCH 99 Firm shafts. Those felt wonderful and were at least one club longer.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I know several guys that switched to graphite when they hit 70 and are now getting better distance than they were before. I think the lighter the shaft the better as you begin to get older and start losing strength. I don't think there's any need to go to graphite until you're in your 70's. I tried graphite and I hated the feel. The only graphite shafted iron I've hit and really liked the feel of was the Callaway X-12 with RCH 99 Firm shafts. Those felt wonderful and were at least one club longer.
    The big thing for me is that graphite irons had a lot more distance dispersion and that is the one thing you absolutely want to know when you pull a club: how far it will go.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    The big thing for me is that graphite irons had a lot more distance dispersion and that is the one thing you absolutely want to know when you pull a club: how far it will go.
    There is no doubt you get jumpers with graphite shafts which go way long. a good thing with the driver but bad with the irons
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Personally, distance wise I don't think we would lose much distance from 6i-PW, in fact my 50* Lajolla GW comes with a steel shaft and I love it.. I don't even carry a 5i since my gaybrids cover the gaps up to 6i... Once I retire I will have a 6i-PW set built with light steel shaft that fit my swing... Oh well, maybe not.

I took Friday PM off and played at Inniscrone - Mongrel, U should try this course, I think you would enjoy the challenge... shot 41/45 from green T-box, I have to admit that gaybrids really save my butt... This course is tight and not much room for error, especially hole # 10 where you have to land at 180 yds on a flat spot or slightly down hill then you have to carry 180 yds over the wet land onto a green... I always have trouble with second shot, lot of doubles at this hole, few pars and never had a chance for a birdie at this hole

http://www.inniscronegolfcourse.com/...816&page=45305

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    Personally, distance wise I don't think we would lose much distance from 6i-PW, in fact my 50* Lajolla GW comes with a steel shaft and I love it.. I don't even carry a 5i since my gaybrids cover the gaps up to 6i... Once I retire I will have a 6i-PW set built with light steel shaft that fit my swing... Oh well, maybe not.

I took Friday PM off and played at Inniscrone - Mongrel, U should try this course, I think you would enjoy the challenge... shot 41/45 from green T-box, I have to admit that gaybrids really save my butt... This course is tight and not much room for error, especially hole # 10 where you have to land at 180 yds on a flat spot or slightly down hill then you have to carry 180 yds over the wet land onto a green... I always have trouble with second shot, lot of doubles at this hole, few pars and never had a chance for a birdie at this hole

http://www.inniscronegolfcourse.com/...816&page=45305
    That course looks good. I'll come up and play it with you sometime, Just give me a little advance notice so I can take a day off. Steel or graphite? Eh. After hitting the driver I just put a steel shaft in my bag may be all steel since the feel at impact is superb and takes me back to the days when graphite shafts were crap and steel reigned supreme. Ironically, I've made the most birdies on short par 4's, pitch-in's and chip-in's with a graphite-shaftred Top Flite Tour gap wedge. Go figure.

I play graphite shafts and have done for a few years.

There are so many other human variables at our level that will have WAY more effect on distance and accuracy. My current handicap is 8.3 and it aint graphite shafts that preventing me getting lower (shite shortgame is more likely the culprit lol)

BTW how did this thread get dug up?

Quote Originally Posted by edgey View Post
    I play graphite shafts and have done for a few years.

There are so many other human variables at our level that will have WAY more effect on distance and accuracy. My current handicap is 8.3 and it aint graphite shafts that preventing me getting lower (shite shortgame is more likely the culprit lol)
    All I know is that when I'm playing my best, my distance control is a big part of it. You can aim for a pin tucked behind a hazard a lot more easily if you're sure about how far you're going to hit your approach shot. Why would I choose a club that makes that harder?

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

This debate is really simple -- Steel shafts are for men and graphite shafts are for women and seniors.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    This debate is really simple -- Steel shafts are for men and graphite shafts are for women and seniors.
    So you have a steel shaft in your driver—that most manly of clubs—then, right?

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    So you have a steel shaft in your driver—that most manly of clubs—then, right?

Uhhhh, actually, yes, I do . . . . . . DG S300.

This was already documented 3 days ago . . . . http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=16826

This was already documented 3 days ago . . . . http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=16826
    Well played, sir!
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    That course looks good. I'll come up and play it with you sometime, Just give me a little advance notice so I can take a day off. Steel or graphite? Eh. After hitting the driver I just put a steel shaft in my bag may be all steel since the feel at impact is superb and takes me back to the days when graphite shafts were crap and steel reigned supreme. Ironically, I've made the most birdies on short par 4's, pitch-in's and chip-in's with a graphite-shaftred Top Flite Tour gap wedge. Go figure.
    Sure, the next time I play Inniscrone I will let you know, perhaps a little bit far out for you... I am packing for Shanghai tomorrow until Nov.22. A big shot in Shanghai invited me out to play golf in Shanghai, not sure I have time since my wife and my daughter will travel with me this time (Yes, I want them to see Shanghai ... could be a chance of a life time)

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    Sure, the next time I play Inniscrone I will let you know, perhaps a little bit far out for you... I am packing for Shanghai tomorrow until Nov.22. A big shot in Shanghai invited me out to play golf in Shanghai, not sure I have time since my wife and my daughter will travel with me this time (Yes, I want them to see Shanghai ... could be a chance of a life time)
    Its only about an hour away so no prob. Last time I was in China was 1971 and they would only let us wander around Wanchai since we were too deranged and disreputable for Kowloon. Visited Taiwan numerous times, though. Wonderful little island. Have fun.

And i bet you have a manly stiff steel shaft in that butchest of all mans clubs, your niblick.

God I wish i could be as manly as you are, you big butch steel shaft playing hunk.

Quote Originally Posted by edgey View Post
    And i bet you have a manly stiff steel shaft in that butchest of all mans clubs, your niblick.

God I wish i could be as manly as you are, you big butch steel shaft playing hunk.
    Thank you, Edgey, you touch me with your sincerity and admiration. It truly brings a tear to my eye and a wind to my sphincter.

Thank you, Edgey, you touch me with your sincerity and admiration. It truly brings a tear to my eye and a wind to my sphincter.
    I am SOOOOOO sorry Sooner you have sadly misunderstood my motives. I was actually taking the piss out of you for being an anally retentive knob.

Whilst I am sure you couldnt give a shite I did want to clear that one up if only to stop you crying.

Quote Originally Posted by tincanman99 View Post

Good choice! The Callaway factory guys in the booth at a recent show told me Callaway has been selling the same 2002 BB OS Graphites for years. They tinker with the logo inside the cavity to make it look different, but it is the same iron set. "If it works, don't fix it!" One time I think half the players in my club were playing those (600 members).

I really believe that like the shafts in drivers and fairway woods have universally become graphite, steel irons shafts will disappear too. It is just silly, lab tests show that the weight of the shaft subtracts from clubhead speed with the same swing effort. Why give up easy distance? Everyone I know is either playing graphite or shopping....

Larry

Good choice! The Callaway factory guys in the booth at a recent show told me Callaway has been selling the same 2002 BB OS Graphites for years. They tinker with the logo inside the cavity to make it look different, but it is the same iron set. "If it works, don't fix it!" One time I think half the players in my club were playing those (600 members).

I really believe that like the shafts in drivers and fairway woods have universally become graphite, steel irons shafts will disappear too. It is just silly, lab tests show that the weight of the shaft subtracts from clubhead speed with the same swing effort. Why give up easy distance? Everyone I know is either playing graphite or shopping....

Larry
    You came too late to the game to appreciate the real feel of steel. If the lightest weight possible was the be-all, end-all for golf clubs, the standard driver head would weigh a lot less than 200 grams and the average pitching wedge head would be a lot lighter than 290 grams.

You came too late to the game to appreciate the real feel of steel. If the lightest weight possible was the be-all, end-all for golf clubs, the standard driver head would weigh a lot less than 200 grams and the average pitching wedge head would be a lot lighter than 290 grams.
    Today I went to the golf store and tried out a few clubs. I tried a set of TaylorMade Tour Burner irons that had special ordered Project X Stiff graphite shafts in them. I didn't like the feel of them at all. Way too light and the feel of the ball coming off the clubface was completely muted. My Titleist 990 irons go just as far as anything I tried today and they feel 10X better. I also tried some Cobra Norman Grinds, Cleveland VAS and some Callaway S2H2 irons for fun. The Norman Grinds actually feel pretty good.

I really believe that like the shafts in drivers and fairway woods have universally become graphite, steel irons shafts will disappear too. It is just silly, lab tests show that the weight of the shaft subtracts from clubhead speed with the same swing effort. Why give up easy distance? Everyone I know is either playing graphite or shopping...
    Then you don't know very many really good golfers, Larry, because the very best in the world are still playing steel in their irons.

The fact of the matter is that while there is a small increase in distance available from using graphite shafts in irons, there is also a penalty to be paid in greater distance dispersion. If you weren't just a weekend hacker (by your own admission, not an insult), you'd realize that to really score well, distance control on approach shots is critical.

My best round of the year was a 78, and a huge part of my scoring that day was that I was hitting almost all my approach shots exactly as far as I had planned them. That took a lot of trouble on a lot of holes out of play.

Perhaps when you actually improve to something better than a 18 handicap, you'll understand better.

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Today I went to the golf store and tried out a few clubs. I tried a set of TaylorMade Tour Burner irons that had special ordered Project X Stiff graphite shafts in them. I didn't like the feel of them at all. Way too light and the feel of the ball coming off the clubface was completely muted. My Titleist 990 irons go just as far as anything I tried today and they feel 10X better. I also tried some Cobra Norman Grinds, Cleveland VAS and some Callaway S2H2 irons for fun. The Norman Grinds actually feel pretty good.
    I've read good reviews of several Cobra forged irons including the
    Carbon CB's. 3Balls has had some sets under $300 lately but I have to hit irons first before I'll buy them unless they are real cheap. It's been a long time since I hit irons with graphite shafts and realize that the filament technology has advanced big time but there's still something about all that violent impact we (some of us, anyway) impart with iron strikes and knowing that instead of good old steel alloy, there's a bunch of fibers held together with glue in the hosel. I guess that's not so much of a concern to someone who sweeps irons without hitting the ball into the turf to compress it.

I've read good reviews of several Cobra forged irons including the
    Carbon CB's. 3Balls has had some sets under $300 lately but I have to hit irons first before I'll buy them unless they are real cheap. It's been a long time since I hit irons with graphite shafts and realize that the filament technology has advanced big time but there's still something about all that violent impact we (some of us, anyway) impart with iron strikes and knowing that instead of good old steel alloy, there's a bunch of fibers held together with glue in the hosel. I guess that's not so much of a concern to someone who sweeps irons without hitting the ball into the turf to compress it.
    I saw a set of the Carbon CB's at GolfMart for $170. I think they look kind of cheap and they have that rounded toe look that I really don't like. I like more of an angle in the toe like you find in Mizuno and Titleist. Cleveland is the worst when it comes to a rounded toe. I always feel like I'm going to hook those.

I'm thinking of picking up a set of Titleist 704 CB irons. I've actually never tried them on the range or on the course. I just picked up two Vokey wedges today in the bargain bin for $19 each. A 50 degree and 56 degree spin milled oil can. Normally they go for around $59 used at Golfmart.

Thread Information