|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Word eating time for me

I have always been a strong supporter of blade style irons. I honestly believed that with a lot of practice you will become a better player and be rewarded for using this style of club. I myself have used Titleist 690 musclebacks for a long time and I hit them quite well. They are a lot of work however. When its really, really wet out, you best hit it perfect or its fatter than your prom date. Mishits are always way short, and dont exactly feel to special. The do feel like gold when you nail them, and I have pulled of some miracle shots with them. Huge low hooking around tree miracles.

So why am saying this?

Yesterday, I ate my words. I was able to play a round with a set of Callaway X-18's. They are ugly, huge top line, deep ass cavity and a fair bit of offset. I hit a small bucket on the range with them and after a bit of tinkering with my set up, took them to the course. My impressions....

THESE THINGS SHOULD BE BANNED

Honest to god, you cant miss with these bastards. No wonder Annika wins every other week.Everything was at least a full club and a half longer than my titleists, and straight and high was all I could do. I mean this without exageration, these were the easiest clubs I have ever hit in my life. I had no idea at all just how far this technology had come. These are idiot proof in every sense of the word. I hit 13 greens yesterday and should have hit 15, but on the first 2 holes the sheer distance of these beasts caught me by suprise.

Could I work the ball, not really. Do I care, not really.

I am swallowing my pride and buying a set of these today, not the tour version, just the plain old X-18s. This will allow me to sell my Titleists, and my hybrids, so in the end I should come out ahead in the deal. How sweet is that.

Take this for what its worth, and that is very little. To anyone I ragged about playing these gameimprovement bohemoths in the past, I apologize. Tech is in baby, the blade is dead.

Why not the pro's? You'd supposedly be able to work them and not have such a large offset. Maybe not such a large sacrifice?
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

Because I am not a pro, and I dont give a **** about working the ball anymore. High and straight with next to no effort suits me just fine. I honestly believe these will get me to scratch quicker than working the ball, and hitting knock downs will.
    There is one thing I have learned from this forum and that is to be more honest in assesing my own game, to lose the what I see in the mirror player and focus honestly on what I see on the course. I am not Tiger, and never will be.

I hit my driver real well, I have a great short game, and I am a decent putter. So why am I still a 5 hdcp? Whats the weak link? I think it has been my iron play. I no longer care what anyone thinks about my bag and my game. All that matters is the score.
    Last edited by LyleG; 05-26-2006 at 03:50 AM.

Now if you get a Hi-Bore you'll have a negative index.

Cleveland Hi-Bore 9.5 Aldila NV65 S
    Taylor Made FireSole 3w
    Ping G2's 3-PW
    Cleveland CG10 56 & 60 wedges
    Nike OZ T100 Mallet Putter

Oh No another Hockey player ! I just cant see playing with those big ugly heads. I know the pro's look a little better but WOW ? Lyle Im making some adjustments also in my bag setup this week. Good Luck ! You know your game and what feels right go for it, I saw the new Callaway X- Tour wedges they look sweet !
    KZG Gemini 460 [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]KZG Cobalt 4 & 7 Wood[COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]KZG Forged Evolution 4-7
    KZG Forged ZO 8-SW[COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]Nomad WRX GTO Hogan 62 K[COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]Tom Slighter "Kirkland" [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Bridgestone E-5 [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]Bennington Cart Bag [/COLOR]

If you get whole set of Hi-Bore like Tucan, your game will be Hi-Bore-licious

You will beat Tiger Woos

Tucan + Hi-Bore = negative index!!!

Go Hi-Bore
    I hate this game! (smack) I love this game! (smack)
    I hate this game and love this game!

[B]Driver[/B] - Cleveland Launcher 9.5*
    [B]5W[/B] - Adams Low Profile RPM
    [B]3i-PW [/B]- TM RAC LT2
    [B]51*[/B] - TM RAC Black TP Wedge (Y-Groove)
    [B]56*[/B] - Tommy Armour 845
    [B]58*[/B] - Titleist Vokey Spin Milled
    [B]Putter[/B] - Odyssey Duel Force 2

[B]Handi - 8.4[/B]

Welcome to the world of Callaway. I have BB04 and a regular partner has X18. We both smile more with these clubs. Pick them up and and let Cally do all the rest of the work. I figure you could hit them off the grip and still get a quality shot.Long high and hard. You might as well pick up a fusion ft3, x460 or BB454 while your at it.

I am tossing out my DCI 990's for X-16's knockoffs... It is just too stupid automatic with these clubs.. almost makes golf fun again. LOL

Now to find a way to hit fairways off the tee
    Taylor Made R7 Superquad 9.5*
    Nickent 3dx 17* Aldila NV
    Mizuno MX-23 3-PW
    Taylor Made TP 54* & 58*
    Scotty Cameron Red X2 34" 340g

Good for you lyle, I'm glad you found a set you like and feel comfortable playing.
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Another thing I found after switching from the 690mb's to a CB is that after all those months of trying to get perfect strikes my ballstriking got much better. Now I hit my cb's on the button just about every time. The only club I have a little trouble with is the 5iron.

I couldn't agree more.
    I think you are wise and should be commended for your honesty about your game.
    Golf is hard enough.
    Callaway X460 tour 9.5 Fuji T.P. 26.3
    Callaway GBBII 3 wood
    Callaway BB2005 7 wood
    Cally Hybrid
    Ping G2 Irons 4-p
    Cleveland CG10 52
    Ping Tour 56
    TM Rossa putter
    Pretty forgiving stuff.

Welcome to the dark side Lyle. I just bought the Nike SlingShot OSSs this spring and the funny thing is that I still suck, so you never know. No clubs will completely compensate for a poor swing, but the way I see it anything that is legal and helps you play better should be taken advantage of. It's simple: the lower you score, the more you enjoy the game. I have to question why you would take out your hybrids though. You should just order the new irons (or steels as I like to call them now) without the 3 and possibly even the 4, but that's just my 2 cents. Remember: I am not a pro, I just play one on GR so take it for what it's worth, which is nothing.

There's nothing wrong with hitting a cavity back. I am playing the Cleveland TA7 Tours (cavity back with tour specs in offset and so forth) and love them (2.6 HDCP right now). I could easily hit blades but why would I when I can work the ball just as well and these are EVER so slightly more forgiving? Go to www.clevelandgolf.com and check out the players and what types of clubs they use...yeah, there are a LOT of pros playing CG1 and TA1 blades but there are also a lot of TA7, TA4 Tour, TA4, TA7 Tour, etc. These are "cavity back" clubs with specs of blade irons. Why not take a little sting out of a bad shot but still be able to work the ball? Doesn't make sense to me not to. Anyway, glad you found something you like...I just can't look at the ugly offset of something like the regular X-18...maybe in 20 or 30 years :-)

The ball technology of the last few years is what put an end to 'working' the ball. It has much less to do with the clubs. Even the big game improvement clubs.

You are still in the 'honeymoon' phase with the x-18's. Keep us posted on when they stop thrilling you.

yep, the honeymoon phase. I think I swill stick with these for a while. My swing is pretty consistant, and what little I dont do, these can pick up the slack.

As for the hybrids, I dont feel I will need them now. The 3 and 4 are damn near hybrids anyhow. They go just as far and just as high.

I was never lucky enough to be good enough at golf to know what working the ball was back in the balata days. So, I don't know how to compare workability of today's balls against the older versions. Is there really a huge difference? I have played a balata ball (my uncle had it in his OLD golf bag) and the only difference I noticed was that it went NOWHERE and it turned into an egg after 2 holes...maybe spun a bit more than a Pro-V but it didn't seem any more workable to me. Besson, being old enough (I think) to have played in both generations you honestly think there is a big difference??? I'm just curious as I thought Pro-V's and most "good" balls were fairly comparable with balatas and such.

P.S. I don't meant this post to single you out I'm just interested in hearing from someone who played more than 3 holes with a balata.

I have an old set of x-14's (bought new years ago).

I switch back and forth between a set of blades (Hogan), set of forged cavities (MacGregor) and the x-14's. They each have their pluses and minuses.

I have said it before, clubs are basically all the same.

Maybe you just played well yesterday? Maybe the giant clubheads gave you some confidence?

You ought to take some credit for a well played round. Clubs really can only do so much.

Not necessarily Balata balls. Any of the recently exctinct would balls are an example. Find some Titleist Professional 90's or wound Maxfli Revolutions. Every shot curves according to your swing tendencies with these balls. Hit em high, low, move them around trees.....

The new balls want to go straight and high. They even bore better through the wind.
    It is a different game with the new balls. It needs to be. Courses get longer and longer and more hazards are in vogue.

The course designers react to the technology and the modern player's skill level. I guess that is how it should be.

It is still neat to see golf shots where the ball moves as far curving as it does going forward. But those are few and far between.

It's funny that you mention the 3 and 4 LyleG...

I got a set of irons from Ping with High Launch on the 3 and 4. The cavity is super deep and they look just like the old driving iron phase. I went from not being able to hitting my long irons to smoking them down the middle instantly.
    Cleveland Hi-Bore 9.5 Aldila NV65 S
    Taylor Made FireSole 3w
    Ping G2's 3-PW
    Cleveland CG10 56 & 60 wedges
    Nike OZ T100 Mallet Putter

I guess that does make sense about the balls wanting to go high and straight...I would agree with that. I do remember the old Titleist Professionals and, yes, I would agree they had a tendency to do what the club did to them and newer balls are more likely to do the high and straight. Makes sense now that I think about it. Besson, you're so smart. I should have never questioned you! We should start up some old flame wars, I definitely miss those! :-D (Note to moderators...I was just joking...well, not really, but for the sake of not being banned I was joking)

When even Woods and some of the more creative pro golfers caved in and started playing "bomb it and gouge it out" I knew it was over for the old style.

I am not smart. I just played alot of golf through several equipment eras.

Quote Originally Posted by Besson
    I am not smart. I just played alot of golf through several equipment eras.
    Yeah, I know, I was just trying to be nice.

I almost bought the X-18s untill I tried the Mizuno MX-23s. If you have time try them out, the best of both worlds. They're just as long as the X-18s, but with workability & forgiveness. They're not as huge to look at at address.
    Taylor Made R540XD 10.5*
    Sonartec NP-99 15* & 21*
    Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
    Mizuno MP T Black Ni 51-06, 56-13, 60-08
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport

Well, I AM smart enough to have never posted a picture of my girlfriend on this site under the title "Lil' Stoner Chick".

So I have that much intelligence working for me.

How is 'lil stoner chick' these days??

Well, I AM smart enough to have never posted a picture of my girlfriend on this site under the title "Lil' Stoner Chick".

So I have that much intelligence working for me.

How is 'lil stoner chick' these days??

I'm fairly confident there is someone else with the name "collegegolf" or something that posts on this site. I never posted a picture of my "little stoner chick" girlfriend (which she isn't anyway) on here. But, I do remember the other guy with the SN "golfcollege" or something like that doing so. At least I believe it was him. But, my girlfriend is doing great! In case you wanted to know.

So you are not the spanish "collegegolfer" from Florida who posted pictures of himself shirtless with a cheap bass guitar and a 'lil stoner chick' ?????

Uncanny coincidence.

So you are not the spanish "collegegolfer" from Florida who posted pictures of himself shirtless with a cheap bass guitar and a 'lil stoner chick' ?????

Uncanny coincidence.

No, but I do remember those pictures and the crap everyone gave him. I laughed quite hard. I actually live many hundred miles north of that where winter temps reach -40 at times. Sorry, no relation.

I hit the X-18s, Big Bertha 2006, Nike OSS, Mx-900 but the best one of the bunch was the

Cobra 3400 I/XH These clubs I was amazed in the amount of feel they give you. And due to the long face it almost looks like a blade at address. I think these are probably the most forgiving clubs out there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Schrup
    I almost bought the X-18s untill I tried the Mizuno MX-23s. If you have time try them out, the best of both worlds. They're just as long as the X-18s, but with workability & forgiveness. They're not as huge to look at at address.
    I had the Mx-23's for a whole season and didnt like them at all. I found them very inconsistant distance wise, and just didnt like the look of the club.

Sorry for the error collegegolf.

Play On.

(They were funny pictures).

how much you selling the 690 MBs for lyle? wat sortof condition are they in?
    I feel sorry for Skeet boy's cat...

The 690's are mint, just your basic club thats been hit a bunch of times.No abuse at all. I am very anal about the condition of my gear. they also have newer grips (15-20 rounds), golf pride dual duromoters. I plan on e-baying them. I am hoping to get about $325 for them.

OK Lyle lets get the Signature changed on the newbies !
    KZG Gemini 460 [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]KZG Cobalt 4 & 7 Wood[COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]KZG Forged Evolution 4-7
    KZG Forged ZO 8-SW[COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]Nomad WRX GTO Hogan 62 K[COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]Tom Slighter "Kirkland" [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Bridgestone E-5 [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]Bennington Cart Bag [/COLOR]

Couple of random thoughts...

1. Don't the TA-7's have "pronounced" offset?

2. I played Balatas for a decade and found I could stretch their life to 9 holes fairly easily, I wasn't as good back in the day and just wanted to play straight pretty much (I played to a draw back then). They were nice to putt until they egged, great for chipping back in the day.

3. I've seen HUGE banana slices from Pinnacle Exceptions and Top Flight 3000's and Nike MEGA-Bomb-Ultra's, so it's easy to deduce that the modern ball is still workable. from the sheer number of these balls that I find off to the right side of the course I could also assume they have a built in slice.

4. I tried to like the Callaway's, hit 3 of their current line before I shopped the Mizuno's. They finished a near 3rd for me behind the Cleveland CG-2's. More a looks preference than a performance difference. I like the bore through hozel design or whatever they call it but doesn't that make shaft changes more complicated? They do one hell of a lot of engineering for their clubs. Only thing I missed when testing them was feel, not all that important if the ball always goes straight. I found the TM's did the same thing but I could tell how far the TM's would go.

5. Enjoy the new clubs, Callaway is no slouch in the market or the boutique... no golf snob wll ridicule your choice (not that you should care), if you get to scratch with them maybe I'll convert to a shovel someday. I don't mean that maliciously =)
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by neverman
    Couple of random thoughts...

1. Don't the TA-7's have "pronounced" offset?
    Yes, the regular TA 7's have a lot of offset. I wasn't thinking much when I posted. But, the TA 7 Tours actually have less than most blade irons...except for the 3 and 4 iron which have slightly more than blade irons. Even so, if you check the players who use the club on Tour and the Nationwide Tour, etc, many still use these clubs even though they have offset. It's on Clevelands website if you're interested.

You'll come back Lyle. The blades will tempt you with their 'super sweet feeling' and you'll have to eat your words again.
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

Dropping the hybrids!

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    As for the hybrids, I dont feel I will need them now. The 3 and 4 are damn near hybrids anyhow. They go just as far and just as high.
    But LyleG, it was one of your earlier posts that convinced me I was doing the right thing carrying hybrids instead of my 3 & 4 iron!

Now I'm confused again!

Coincidentally I carried my 4 iron this week and hit it sweet. Haven't been hitting the 4 hybrid very well lately but I still carried the 3 hybrid as I figured I still need a rescue club out of the rough.

Quote Originally Posted by emc
    You'll come back Lyle. The blades will tempt you with their 'super sweet feeling' and you'll have to eat your words again.
    I hit three (yes, 3) pins yeaterday. One from 155, one from 180ish, and one from 124. So dont hold your breath. I honestly am in love with these right now. I darn near get wood just approaching my golf bag.

As for the hybrids, the 3 and 4 are almost hybrids anyhow. They are just as long and just as high, hell the whole set is almost hybrid.

I just saw a guy at the local course yesterday with the X-18's. I was telling him how I was considering selling my BB's and upgrading to the X-18. I noticed he had some Heavenwoods in the bag, too... he said that he had the 3 and 4 irons replaced with the hybrids, no charge.

He said he did a custom order ($699 - same price as what you'll find online or most other shops) at Fiddler's Green in Eugene, OR. I'd assume that other shops around the country can do the same with replacing the irons with hybrids on custom orders.

By the way, I've never even tried out the Callaway hybrid... I'm playing with a Nickent and TM Rescue Mid and they both work out just fine for me... but if I had the opportunity to swap out two clubs in my set for hybrids free of charge, I'd seriously have to consider it. Hank Haney from November '05 Golf Digest:

"The biggest development I see people missing in golf today are hybrid clubs. They need them; they make the game so much easier. If you have a relatively slow swing speed, you shouldn't have anything more than a 6-iron in your bag. Hybrids are easier to hit. They're more forgiving. And they get the ball in the air. They have no downside."

Just food for thought. Enjoy the new sticks, Lyle, and keep us posted on how they're working out for ya.
    Mr. Larson: That's two thus far, Shooter.
    Shooter: Oh, you can count! Good for you!
    Mr. Larson: And YOU can count, on ME, waiting for YOU in the parking lot.
    Gallery: Ooooh.

As I've said before, the two best guys in my weekend group (with single digit index ratings) both play Callaways, and with graphite shafts. It comes down to a comfort level. I had been playing Mizuno MP 60's (sort of a muscle cavity back) and thought they were the end all, until I made the "mistake" of doing a demo on a Tour Edge Exotics iron. Sold! With the Nippon shafts they feel really soft even without being forged, and with LOTS of tungsten in the sole (the entire back half of the sole) they are REALLY easy to hit without lots of offset or a particularly thick sole. I've been playing them now for several weeks, and my game has improved for distance and directional accuracy (and my scores show it). I decided that the extra forgiveness was worth giving up those sexy MP60's, which have gone to a happy new owner on e-bay.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

yep, accuracy is where its at.
    I have never hit an iron as straight as I hit these, and the big bonus is I have never hit an iron as far. I am starting to see where all the stupid numbers around here come from. Its the new sticks for sure.

Still in love or is the honeymoon over?

He's probably cheating with the 690MB's round the back of the clubhouse!
    My set:
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red

I have always been a strong supporter of blade style irons. I honestly believed that with a lot of practice you will become a better player and be rewarded for using this style of club. I myself have used Titleist 690 musclebacks for a long time and I hit them quite well. They are a lot of work however. When its really, really wet out, you best hit it perfect or its fatter than your prom date. Mishits are always way short, and dont exactly feel to special. The do feel like gold when you nail them, and I have pulled of some miracle shots with them. Huge low hooking around tree miracles.

So why am saying this?

Yesterday, I ate my words. I was able to play a round with a set of Callaway X-18's. They are ugly, huge top line, deep ass cavity and a fair bit of offset. I hit a small bucket on the range with them and after a bit of tinkering with my set up, took them to the course. My impressions....

THESE THINGS SHOULD BE BANNED

Honest to god, you cant miss with these bastards. No wonder Annika wins every other week.Everything was at least a full club and a half longer than my titleists, and straight and high was all I could do. I mean this without exageration, these were the easiest clubs I have ever hit in my life. I had no idea at all just how far this technology had come. These are idiot proof in every sense of the word. I hit 13 greens yesterday and should have hit 15, but on the first 2 holes the sheer distance of these beasts caught me by suprise.

Could I work the ball, not really. Do I care, not really.

I am swallowing my pride and buying a set of these today, not the tour version, just the plain old X-18s. This will allow me to sell my Titleists, and my hybrids, so in the end I should come out ahead in the deal. How sweet is that.

Take this for what its worth, and that is very little. To anyone I ragged about playing these gameimprovement bohemoths in the past, I apologize. Tech is in baby, the blade is dead.

It's called being closed minded.
    TM r5 TP Diamana 83
    Mizuno F-50 15*
    Cobra Baffler 20*
    Mizuno MP-57 4-PW
    Mizuno MP-T 52*
    Ping iWedge 56*
    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled Chrome 60* (pfft!)
    Cameron Circa 62 #2
    Mizuno Twister Staff Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Mizunogolfer
    Yes, I agree, you're post is very closed minded.

As for the honeymoon, still going strong.

Yep, you're wife is still going strong for me on you're honeymoon, but I've had much better.
    TM r5 TP Diamana 83
    Mizuno F-50 15*
    Cobra Baffler 20*
    Mizuno MP-57 4-PW
    Mizuno MP-T 52*
    Ping iWedge 56*
    Cameron Circa 62 #2
    Mizuno Twister Staff Bag

ooooh, I think I heard that one before..... yep, I was in grade 8

tool

ooooh, I think I heard that one before..... yep, I was in grade 8

tool

You're still in the 8th grade? Most of us knew that already.
    TM r5 TP Diamana 83
    Mizuno F-50 15*
    Cobra Baffler 20*
    Mizuno MP-57 4-PW
    Mizuno MP-T 52*
    Ping iWedge 56*
    Cameron Circa 62 #2
    Mizuno Twister Staff Bag

You're still in the 8th grade? Most of us knew that already.

Is English you're second language?

Grap a dictionary, and look up the word WAS.

Have a good one chump.

Hey Mizuno, what the heck is your avatar? It's not a portrait is it?
    My set:
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red

Have a good one chump.
    Not to be a d1ck, but you have a huge problem with your and you're.
    It wrecks your grammar/spelling credibility when you continually f that up.
    You two have fun, now.

That's an ironic accusation, considering your s/n.

Glad to see it wasn't a case of beer goggles.

Have a good one chump.

That would be PUMP not chump...as in I pumped you're mom.

Have a good one punk.
    TM r5 TP Diamana 83
    Mizuno F-50 15*
    Cobra Baffler 20*
    Mizuno MP-57 4-PW
    Mizuno MP-T 52*
    Ping iWedge 56*
    Cameron Circa 62 #2
    Mizuno Twister Staff Bag

I hit three (yes, 3) pins yeaterday. One from 155, one from 180ish, and one from 124.
    What I love about this is that if anyone else on this board posted that they hit 3 pins in a single round because of their new irons, you'd be the first one to make some sarcastic remark insinuating they were lying.

Oh well.
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Quote Originally Posted by bethpage caddy
    What I love about this is that if anyone else on this board posted that they hit 3 pins in a single round because of their new irons, you'd be the first one to make some sarcastic remark insinuating they were lying.

Oh well.
    Good point. I had to roll my eyes at that one. I've been playing 2 1/2 years, over 200 rounds and have never hit 3 pins total, never mind in one round.

Honest injun. I admit it was pure luck, but it truly happened. Haven't hit one since, but thus is life.

I am taking a week off of golf. I have played 45 rounds in the last 48 days, and have hit at least 20 large buckets of balls, never mind the 15 hours or so I have spent putting and chipping. I am officially worn out. My elbow never stops aching, and in the morning I feel like I am 106.

And BPC, I would take you to task any day of the week. So if you're ever in the area, bring your clubs and some tissue.

Quote Originally Posted by ezra76
    Good point. I had to roll my eyes at that one. I've been playing 2 1/2 years, over 200 rounds and have never hit 3 pins total, never mind in one round.
    You need to practice more.

We had a lady at our club (a 24 hdcp no less) get 3 hole in one's in a three week span. They actually had a story about her in our local paper.

I have holed about a dozen shots in my life from the fairway (none outside about 150) and had 1 hole in one (this is over a period of about 26 years of playing golf). Its all about luck and being a good short iron player.
    On the opposite end of the spectrum I have also hit our clubhouse twice, our starter shack once, our cart storage shed at least 10 times, and the parking lot a few times as well. They just happen to be poorly situated in relation to my standard 3 wood distance and direction.

Honest injun. I admit it was pure luck, but it truly happened. Haven't hit one since, but thus is life.

I am taking a week off of golf. I have played 45 rounds in the last 48 days, and have hit at least 20 large buckets of balls, never mind the 15 hours or so I have spent putting and chipping. I am officially worn out. My elbow never stops aching, and in the morning I feel like I am 106.

And BPC, I would take you to task any day of the week. So if you're ever in the area, bring your clubs and some tissue.
    I believe you 100%, but my point is that you would jump all over the person who posted claiming the feat you accomplished.
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"

Quote Originally Posted by bethpage caddy
    I believe you 100%, but my point is that you would jump all over the person who posted claiming the feat you accomplished.
    Not really, as hitting a pin isnt a big deal IMO, as luck plays a bigger role in it than anything.
    Its the 330 yard drives that get me. I have golfed with numerous good players over the years and could count the 300 yard hitters on one hand. 280 yes, but that extra 20-30 yards is a real b!tch..

Not really, as hitting a pin isnt a big deal IMO, as luck plays a bigger role in it than anything.
    Its the 330 yard drives that get me. I have golfed with numerous good players over the years and could count the 300 yard hitters on one hand. 280 yes, but that extra 20-30 yards is a real b!tch..
    I agree there. Its always amusing to see someone really catch one and automatically assume that "it must have gone 300 yards."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"

I watched Hank Keune (sp) hit balls for about 30 minutes at the range one day (about 4-5 years ago at the Bell Canadian Open). He was hitting his driver about 315 - 330 according to the markers, and I honestly have never seen anyone swing a club that hard in person, not before, and not since. I mean he was freaking killing the ball. Twenty shots in, we were still saying "holy sh!t" after each one. My face hurt for a week just from grinning.

Have a good one chump.
    Its the best when someone tries to bust someone on grammar or spelling and in the process f's it up themselves.

It is:

Is Englinsh YOUR...

GRAB a ...

Or did you mean Crap a dictionary which would have been funny.

Ass.
    [B]Vive Golf..[/B]

You need to practice more.

We had a lady at our club (a 24 hdcp no less) get 3 hole in one's in a three week span. They actually had a story about her in our local paper.

I have holed about a dozen shots in my life from the fairway (none outside about 150) and had 1 hole in one (this is over a period of about 26 years of playing golf). Its all about luck and being a good short iron player.
    On the opposite end of the spectrum I have also hit our clubhouse twice, our starter shack once, our cart storage shed at least 10 times, and the parking lot a few times as well. They just happen to be poorly situated in relation to my standard 3 wood distance and direction.
    I'm getting a lot more accurate, wouldn't kid myself with the irons I play if I wasn't. Almost holed a full SW that spun back/sideways last week. Coolest looking shot I've ever hit. Still don't hit pins like that though. With an 8i up I am usually looking to land a high fade spinning sideways/backwards. Hit correctly it checks and rolls a few feet forward and 4-6 feet sideways. Still looking for that hole in one. Unfortuntely the course I regularly play has 3 par 3's over 200 and one at 158 you're lucky to stop the ball on. I missed that one by inches once but the pin position is usually (was yesterday) impossibly placed. Here's a pic, it's a lot higher and steeper in 3D . Try getting an 8i to stop on that bad boy from almost 160. Yesterday it was a 7i with the wind right in my face, this is one hole I really miss having my 60* wedge on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	par 3 14th.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	1670
    Last edited by ezra76; 06-15-2006 at 05:14 AM.

That looks like every green where I play. We have 15 elevated, some brutally elevated. Also when I said I hit three pins I never said any of the shot ended up near the hole. One actually hit the stick about 4 inches from the flag (was still ironing out my distances), we actually had trouble finding it.
    So no one said it was pretty.

That looks like every green where I play. We have 15 elevated, some brutally elevated. Also when I said I hit three pins I never said any of the shot ended up near the hole. One actually hit the stick about 4 inches from the flag (was still ironing out my distances), we actually had trouble finding it.
    So no one said it was pretty.
    LOL. I have that problem at this course. The greens are very fast compared to the easy course I play. They also have traps and mounds everywhere on the doglegs. I was going to take some pics yesterday, the grass was like over my knees around those. It's bad when I'm yelling "get in the trap!" I shot back to back 84's at the easy course last week and was humbled by a fricken 99 at this course yesterday. I need to play it more often, I definitely get better there as it demands a whole lot more as far as course management and shot selection. I never thought I'd find a par 3 I'd "lay up" on but this course has one. I felt better after hearing Dana Quigley's son only managed 3 over on the front a few weeks ago.

Also when I said I hit three pins I never said any of the shot ended up near the hole.
    LOL! Yeah, every time I've hit a pin in my life I always wish I would've missed it. They seem to spin more or something...they hit the pin, drop down, and spin about 30 feet back. It's kind of a pain. Anyway, on hitting three pins...I keep track of weird stats like eagles and holing out from the fairway and such. There was one year I holed out from greater than 100 yards 14 times. It was back in 2001 when I was 19 years old. It was insane. Of course, a lot of them were from yardages near 100 years where I was hitting a 56 degree, which is a very accurate club for me. Anyway, I've been keeping track since then as well and I've had 0...count them...z-e-r-o in the years since then. I definitely used them all up for my lifetime. People wouldn't believe me when I tell them that but one of my buddies I used to golf with probably saw 5 that year, which is still amazing. Of course, those were the years I'd golf EVERY day sometimes 36 holes. Now, 3 times a week is a feat for me.

LyleG,

you still enjoying those x-18's ? just curious how you were hitting those. I tried my brother's callaway VFT irons before and never could get comfortable with just how big they were. You not getting any hooks because of the offset ? how's the flight/spin on the short irons?

Quote Originally Posted by xender
    LyleG,

you still enjoying those x-18's ? just curious how you were hitting those. I tried my brother's callaway VFT irons before and never could get comfortable with just how big they were. You not getting any hooks because of the offset ? how's the flight/spin on the short irons?

Yep, I still have em, and still love em. These are a lot smaller than some of Callaways previous offerings. Now dont get me wrong, you wont be mistaking them for blades or anything, but they are smaller and actually look quite nice at address. No hooks at all. In fact I find them hard to hit draws with. Everything just seems to be high, straight and long. I cant believe how many times I have said "I cant believe how far that went for how bad I hit it" since I got these. The spin on the shorter irons is bordering on too much. I am pretty sure its the new grooves that are just sharp as hell yet. With every shot, I end up with a perfect little white circle of ball imbedded in the grooves. Three or four holes and the ball is chewed right up.

Yep, I still have em, and still love em. These are a lot smaller than some of Callaways previous offerings. Now dont get me wrong, you wont be mistaking them for blades or anything, but they are smaller and actually look quite nice at address. No hooks at all. In fact I find them hard to hit draws with. Everything just seems to be high, straight and long. I cant believe how many times I have said "I cant believe how far that went for how bad I hit it" since I got these. The spin on the shorter irons is bordering on too much. I am pretty sure its the new grooves that are just sharp as hell yet. With every shot, I end up with a perfect little white circle of ball imbedded in the grooves. Three or four holes and the ball is chewed right up.
    Glad you have found a set of irons that you are happy with, its great to have that added confidence.

I have had similar results from changing from Titleist 990s to Ben Hogan BH-5s, and while not everything is straight (still working on a few bits) I find them incredebly easy to hit. Where a 3/4 iron in the 990s was starting to become a little hit and miss, I now have that confidence back.

I am not sure how the uniflex shafts work but I think True Temper have really excelled themselves. I have one of the older 'Memphis 10' uniflex in a 3w Steelhead and I think it is fantastic. I may even look at getting a uniflex fitted to a spare 6 iron and see how it compares to the Apex 4.

Quote Originally Posted by xender
    LyleG,

Well, I'm not LyleG, but I play standard Hawk Eye's (without the VFT), and the offset is definitely a hurdle to get over... plus the fact that the top line is as thick as the sole on a lot of iron sets.

But, once you get over that little bump, they're a real pleasure to hit... it took me about two weeks of frustration before I really got into the groove in hitting these irons. The bonus is the fact that I can once again play my 3i and 4i, something that I wasn't able to do with my previous set (TM Supersteel).

The thing too with the Hawk Eye's (and VFT) is that they have really hot faces due to their titanium construction, so if you try to swing as hard as you do with a standard cavity-back steel club, the ball does all kinds of crazy stuff... if you shorten your swing path the ball actually goes a lot farther (and straighter) than it does if you really try to swing hard at it.

I also hit the X-18's over at the local Copeland's Sports in their simulator, and I really liked them... it's pretty much what sold me on Callaway clubs.

Glad you're enjoying the honeymoon Lyle... one thing you'll discover too is that Callaway has the best customer service in the business. The medallions on my Hawk Eye's were starting to come off on a few clubs (probably heat destroying the glue), so I called up Callaway. They sent me a pre-paid shipping label, refinished the club heads (including repainting sight lines and sole numbers), replaced the medallions with a completely new set, and had them back to me within a week... all at no charge.
    This was also a used set of clubs I bought on ebay with a mismatched 3i... made me a firm believer if I hadn't been before.

So to everybody that complains about Callaway's prices, keep in mind that you're buying more than just the irons... the customer service is second to none.

I like Callaway. The color, weight, and look are very nice. High, hard and long. Like I said earlier you could flip em around and hit with the grip and still love the results.

Thread Information