|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Midsize v Standard grip....

Yo. Recently picked up a Lamkin grip to replace my wearing 7i standard size. Installed it. However, it looked a little bulkier and felt bulkier when I gripped it. Went and looked at the details, and I mistakenly purchased a midsize instead of a standard.

So, waited a day, lamenting what to do, then took the 7i (mp53) to range. Wow. Felt I could grip the club firmer, but it was easier....if that makes sense. Could feel I could just let the swing happen instead of worrying about pressure in each hand, etc....

Anyone else went thru this?

Also - went to Lamkin website and did their virtual fitting tool (which I know isnt an exact science)...based on my input, the tool recommended a standard size w/3 additional wraps. My understanding this is only 1 less wrap than a midsize....

Should i have been playing midsize all along? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Yo. Recently picked up a Lamkin grip to replace my wearing 7i standard size. Installed it. However, it looked a little bulkier and felt bulkier when I gripped it. Went and looked at the details, and I mistakenly purchased a midsize instead of a standard.

So, waited a day, lamenting what to do, then took the 7i (mp53) to range. Wow. Felt I could grip the club firmer, but it was easier....if that makes sense. Could feel I could just let the swing happen instead of worrying about pressure in each hand, etc....

Anyone else went thru this?

Also - went to Lamkin website and did their virtual fitting tool (which I know isnt an exact science)...based on my input, the tool recommended a standard size w/3 additional wraps. My understanding this is only 1 less wrap than a midsize....

Should i have been playing midsize all along? lol
    Well... I think it depends on the size of your hands (no correlation to the size of your manhood . I played mid-size before , it felt good at first, i.e. I did not have to hold tight, etc... but after awhile, I just don't feel "right"... so I went back to standard size with 2 tapes,,, now I hold the grip lighter and I think it's better for my swing... I guess it's all about personal preference, just like "Golf pride multi-Decal compound" grip... I like it first but it seems to be 'hard" on my hand, so I slowly phase out to Golf Pride Tour Wrap grip which is softer and still pretty good in wet condition, probably "not as good as" when its rain

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    Well... I think it depends on the size of your hands (no correlation to the size of your manhood . I played mid-size before , it felt good at first, i.e. I did not have to hold tight, etc... but after awhile, I just don't feel "right"... so I went back to standard size with 2 tapes,,, now I hold the grip lighter and I think it's better for my swing... I guess it's all about personal preference, just like "Golf pride multi-Decal compound" grip... I like it first but it seems to be 'hard" on my hand, so I slowly phase out to Golf Pride Tour Wrap grip which is softer and still pretty good in wet condition, probably "not as good as" when its rain
    So you ended up and landed right between standard and midsize (standard w/ 2 wraps). That is prolly where I end up. Im going to leave the midsize on the 7i and see how it plays, etc...

Any time you change grips to ones with different diameters and number of wraps, you are changing the overall weight of the club and its balance ("swing weight"). Some are sensitive to these changes and others are not. Bigger grips weigh more.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Any time you change grips to ones with different diameters and number of wraps, you are changing the overall weight of the club and its balance ("swing weight"). Some are sensitive to these changes and others are not. Bigger grips weigh more.
    Yes. The standard grip weighed 50g. The midsize weighs 66g. This would also move the balance point higher as well (closer to handle) if I understand correctly. I prefer this actually.

So you ended up and landed right between standard and midsize (standard w/ 2 wraps). That is prolly where I end up. Im going to leave the midsize on the 7i and see how it plays, etc...
    probably correct... My new/old Adams A4 set comes with Iomic grip which is quite small in diameter, I have to use 3 tapes to "feel" similar to standard w/ 2 wraps

If it's not inhibiting your release, stick with em for awhile, only did I find through experimentation that I prefer more wraps and a ribbed grip (for my pleasure) if I kept using what was "ideal" for me I would have never found something that was way more comfortable, I found that I feel like I have a better grip and more control with a bigger grip, and thus I strike the ball better.

Quote Originally Posted by hubijerk View Post
    If it's not inhibiting your release, stick with em for awhile, only did I find through experimentation that I prefer more wraps and a ribbed grip (for my pleasure) if I kept using what was "ideal" for me I would have never found something that was way more comfortable, I found that I feel like I have a better grip and more control with a bigger grip, and thus I strike the ball better.
    Honestly (and again, only 1 range session with the 7i), I felt I could release better If that makes sense. I always felt that if I just let it go, I would madly duck hook the hell out of the shot. With the midsize, I feel like I can really be more aggressive and not fear the right side OB (I play lefty).

Again, just one range session. Playing this weekend so we shall see how it goes.

Also - with the midsize grip, my grip feels much more natural and not so "technical" with placement. My hands just seem to naturally fall on the club and it feels good.

Hoping this makes sense....

Makes tons of sense, sounds like you may have a winner. That's exactly how I felt when I threw a ribbed grip on a club and took a few swings, it worked for Hogan so I figured who was I to argue with Hogan, immediately it felt great in my hands, with grips your first impressions are usually right on, either it feels good or it doesn't.

Makes tons of sense, sounds like you may have a winner. That's exactly how I felt when I threw a ribbed grip on a club and took a few swings, it worked for Hogan so I figured who was I to argue with Hogan, immediately it felt great in my hands, with grips your first impressions are usually right on, either it feels good or it doesn't.
    Hope so. Funny game. Always figuring crap out along the way....will let you know if it knocks 4 strokes off the cap! lol

...with grips your first impressions are usually right on, either it feels good or it doesn't.
    Not the case with me. I wish they made grips which automatically sized themselves on the fly, because half way through a round, my hands are swollen and the grip feels completely unlike it did at the start of the round.

I carry those blue freezer things in my bag to minimize the swelling in my hands when I play. I have to visualize the kind of ball contact I want at ground level because I obviously don't "feel" anything.

Still, I can't use it as an excuse because I've gotten used to it and it doesn't really hurt my game. What would hurt my game is steel shafts.

2nd range session with midsize grip. Thing works freakin wonders for me. Hope its not just a honeymoon thing. My grip is more relaxed, which relaxes the rest of me...then I just swing thru. Baby draw.....

Contemplating throwing a midsize on the big stick and seeing what happens. Playing Saturday, not sure if I should do this prior to or post 18....casual game, no money.

Weird how I accidentially backed into this.....

2nd range session with midsize grip. Thing works freakin wonders for me. Hope its not just a honeymoon thing. My grip is more relaxed, which relaxes the rest of me...then I just swing thru. Baby draw.....

Contemplating throwing a midsize on the big stick and seeing what happens. Playing Saturday, not sure if I should do this prior to or post 18....casual game, no money.

Weird how I accidentially backed into this.....
    You have probably discovered by now that the thicker the grip, the lighter the club feels and that feeling is more than the difference in the weight of the grips would indicate. Another result of a thicker grip is that it tends to quiet your hands more quiet through the swing. So if you need some hand action to square the face of your driver at impact, you will probably tend to leave it out to the left a bit. On the other hand, if you have a tendancy to hit pulls and/or pull hooks with your driver, going to the thicker grip may help. As a matter of fact, as soon as I leave work in a bit, having taken half a day off, I am going to stop at the Golf Galaxy on my way home and pick up a couple of grips including a slightly oversized one for my Primary Driver that I just re-shafted last night. I love the damn thing but have been pulling it too much the last 72 holes I played with it. Undoubtedly there are some arselocks out there that will respond with "Its your swing!" and, although there is truth in that, I'm too frigging old and cranky to change too much so if a sixteenth or an eighth of an inch will get me a couple of yards less left off the tee, I can score better.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

You have probably discovered by now that the thicker the grip, the lighter the club feels and that feeling is more than the difference in the weight of the grips would indicate. Another result of a thicker grip is that it tends to quiet your hands more quiet through the swing. So if you need some hand action to square the face of your driver at impact, you will probably tend to leave it out to the left a bit. On the other hand, if you have a tendancy to hit pulls and/or pull hooks with your driver, going to the thicker grip may help. As a matter of fact, as soon as I leave work in a bit, having taken half a day off, I am going to stop at the Golf Galaxy on my way home and pick up a couple of grips including a slightly oversized one for my Primary Driver that I just re-shafted last night. I love the damn thing but have been pulling it too much the last 72 holes I played with it. Undoubtedly there are some arselocks out there that will respond with "Its your swing!" and, although there is truth in that, I'm too frigging old and cranky to change too much so if a sixteenth or an eighth of an inch will get me a couple of yards less left off the tee, I can score better.
    Pulls and pull hooks are my nemesis. Hope the grip helps there.

Plus, you can buy grips cheaper than a lesson.

Enjoy your 1/2 day off!

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    Well... I think it depends on the size of your hands (no correlation to the size of your manhood) . I played mid-size before , it felt good at first, i.e. I did not have to hold tight, etc... but after awhile, I just don't feel "right"... so I went back to standard size with 2 tapes,,, now I hold the grip lighter and I think it's better for my swing... I guess it's all about personal preference, just like "Golf pride multi-Decal compound" grip... I like it first but it seems to be 'hard" on my hand, so I slowly phase out to Golf Pride Tour Wrap grip which is softer and still pretty good in wet condition, probably "not as good as" when its rain
    It's a well known fact that grip size is inversely proportionate.

My clubs have absolutely tiny grips.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    It's a well known fact that grip size is inversely proportionate.

Pulls and pull hooks are my nemesis. Hope the grip helps there.

Plus, you can buy grips cheaper than a lesson.

Enjoy your 1/2 day off!
    OK, Phase I of my thicker driver grip experiment is complete. Subject of test is my "A" driver, a 10.5* Tit 909 Dcomp that most recently had an Aldila NVS 65 regular flex shaft tipped 6/10" and cut to play at 45". Even after tipping, I still pulled it although not as badly. So I figured that besides the thicker grip, I needed less weight and maybe a bit shorter length so I pulled the UST Axivcore Blue 59 regular shaft from my 907D2 last night, tipped it two inches, and glued it into the Dcomp head. I picked up a Winn Drytack Light Wrap Oversize grip on the way home from work today. It weighs 28 grams and is supposed to be only 1/16" over size but it feels thicker. Anyway, I trimmed the shaft to play
    44.75". The old overall weight was about 318 grams and the swingweight about D2. The new weight is 291 grams and the SW runs about D4.

So I took it out to the nearest rec and parks ball field which was deserted due to the 100* temperature. I also took my PW just for grins. Without any warm up swings, I hit three balls with the driver and did not pull any of them. Then I went north to pick them up and hit another six drives into the wind. I pulled one but I teed it up very high just to see if I could hit a high draw. Then I repeated the exercise and the last three I hit from south to north with a little breeze at my back were about 265 dead straight three yards short of the upper pitcher's mound which was my target, one I caught a little low on the face that went about 250 and the third I cut a bit and it went about 245 about 20 yards right of my intended line.

The thicker grip works like a champ. Especially in conjunction with a much lighter shaft. Its funny bit that Axivcore Blue 59 gram regular is spec'd out as a really wimpy soft-tipped shaft but after tipping it two inches, it felt much stiffer than the NVS with no wiggle whip and an extremely solid punchy feel through impact. The best part is that I was able to hit the ball a good bit higher with this setup.

The proof in the pudding will be the next time I play but I think I have a winner. I also bought another Winn Excell wrap oversized grip and am going to do one of my three woods. I have been pulling them also.

I am thoroughly reading this thread. I have always played standard size grips. Not by choice.I just never in my earlier years know about all these small things that could make such an impact.

The PRO teachers 10years ago where ALOT more RETARDED,as none of them ever told me about swing weight,club bounce,driver shafts or iron shafts...Even the use of new balls over second hand ones where not made clear ENOUGH.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 07-17-2012 at 11:08 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "The statement below is true.
    The statement above is false"

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I am thoroughly reading this thread. I have always played standard size grips. Not by choice.I just never in my earlier years know about all these small things that could make such an impact.

The PRO teachers 10years ago where ALOT more RETARDED,as none of them ever told me about swing weight,club bounce,driver shafts or iron shafts...Even the use of new balls over second hand ones where not made clear ENOUGH.
    As fast as you evidently move your clubs, little differences can mean a whole lot, especially in direction and consistency. About the only way to find out what is best for you is to experiment and see what works best. Learning how to remove and install grips is about the easiest thing to do and using lead tape to experiment with swingweights is also cheap and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    It's a well known fact that grip size is inversely proportionate to prostate size.

Fixed, buddha style.

As fast as you evidently move your clubs, little differences can mean a whole lot, especially in direction and consistency. About the only way to find out what is best for you is to experiment and see what works best. Learning how to remove and install grips is about the easiest thing to do and using lead tape to experiment with swingweights is also cheap and easy.
    Luckly (or not) I wrapped my 5 iron around a tree 3 weeks ago because I got pissed of my then problem of hooking.

So with my 5iron I will install an X100 shaft(currently playing s300) and a larger grip size. Hopefully I would notice a difference...

Bet again,yesterday I went to the golf shop and tried out the ; MP69's,Cobra s3 MB, Callaway Authentic MB and the MP 52's...

I hit them all great but the one that still feels the best is the MP69's.... I am just tired of the looks of the club similar to the mp33's. So gues my next set will also be MP 69's

Luckly (or not) I wrapped my 5 iron around a tree 3 weeks ago because I got pissed of my then problem of hooking.

So with my 5iron I will install an X100 shaft(currently playing s300) and a larger grip size. Hopefully I would notice a difference...

Bet again,yesterday I went to the golf shop and tried out the ; MP69's,Cobra s3 MB, Callaway Authentic MB and the MP 52's...

I hit them all great but the one that still feels the best is the MP69's.... I am just tired of the looks of the club similar to the mp33's. So gues my next set will also be MP 69's
    The MP 69's look the best to me of any of the recent MP models. You might want to wait on reshafting your 5 iron until you try a larger grip. Maybe that will be enough. Keep in mind that the X100 is slightly lighter in weight than the S300 so it might not help as much as you think. You could also put a 6 iron S300 shaft in your 5 iron ("hard step") and cut it to your preferred length. This would play a bit more stiff with the same weight.

I'm really surprised that you are using DGS300's in your irons. You hit it longer than I, and I tested out of the range for those. I was looking at X100's but was used to playing PX so I went with 6.5's.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    I'm really surprised that you are using DGS300's in your irons. You hit it longer than I, and I tested out of the range for those. I was looking at X100's but was used to playing PX so I went with 6.5's.
    check your pm

The MP 69's look the best to me of any of the recent MP models. You might want to wait on reshafting your 5 iron until you try a larger grip. Maybe that will be enough. Keep in mind that the X100 is slightly lighter in weight than the S300 so it might not help as much as you think. You could also put a 6 iron S300 shaft in your 5 iron ("hard step") and cut it to your preferred length. This would play a bit more stiff with the same weight.
    Whats the heaviest,strongest,stiffest LOW LAUNCHING iron shaft that one can get?

Whats the heaviest,strongest,stiffest LOW LAUNCHING iron shaft that one can get?
    Probably those Project X's in something like a 7.0 or 7.2 like some of the tour guys use. Probably real rare, special order and expensive as sin. Of course you could always install some DG S300's or S400's and hard-step the hell out of them. Like use the 37" raw shaft which is usually the LW, SW and PW shaft, in your 9 and 8 and so on. Or see if you can get X200's or 300's and hard step them the same. And/or you could always tip them too and get into rebar territory.

Probably those Project X's in something like a 7.0 or 7.2 like some of the tour guys use. Probably real rare, special order and expensive as sin. Of course you could always install some DG S300's or S400's and hard-step the hell out of them. Like use the 37" raw shaft which is usually the LW, SW and PW shaft, in your 9 and 8 and so on. Or see if you can get X200's or 300's and hard step them the same. And/or you could always tip them too and get into rebar territory.
    The thing is my clubs are 1/2 to 1 inch longer then standard.Wont this hard stepping make it shorter and the extension make it weaker again?

The thing is my clubs are 1/2 to 1 inch longer then standard.Wont this hard stepping make it shorter and the extension make it weaker again?
    It depends how long you play your irons. The standard length spec for most iron sets' pitching wedges is between 35.5" and 35.75" so a 37" tapered tip raw shaft inserted into your wedge head without butt trimming would be at least 38 to 38.5" which is more than 2" over spec. Although you shouldn't need them, properly fitted extensions should not play any differently than unextended shafts of the same length. The only effect of an extension is that it adds weight to the butt end of the club and may have to be compensated for with added weight at the head end. I've extended a few graphite driver and fairway wood shafts and, if anything, it made them play stiffer but those shafts had relatively soft butts anyway. Fujikura shafts.

Thread Information