|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Any Sr Shaft Dude out there

Sh$$$t... I am not getting any younger, 61+.... so thinking of moving to Sr. Graphite shaft irons (still OK with R-flex driver , 3W , 5W and gaybrids)

Any suggestions? Thanks guys/ girls/ AC-DC

I'm a senior dude. I play a regular flex shaft in driver but I tipped it two inches before installation so it probably plays a little stiffer than regular. I put regular flex shafts in my assorted 3 and 5 woods but can't hit them well enough to trust them so I may try stiffer shafts, I pulled regular flex light steel shafts from my various Mizunos and put stiff graphite shafts in 4-PW MX 20 and 23's. I hit them way better than with steel regulars. The key for me with these irons is the lie angles. Yesterday I took my gap Vokey and MX 20 PW into Golf Galaxy for a quick bend to 2 degrees flat and am heading out in a few to a field near me to see if they hit better. They already feel much better on short chips and pitches. I may end up doing the whole set flat to some degree. I want to be able to hit soft cuts (fades) at will and think going a bit flat will help greatly. Last Saturday on the 12th at Pilgrims Oak (that nasty par 3 with the pond in front and overhanging trees on the right, I hit a 6 iron and purposely tried to cut it. It hit it perfectly right at the center of the green (where the hole was cut) but it carried a club too far and the ball ended sitting up real pretty below the stone wall and in the "Do Not Enter" fooking Environmental Area. Double bogey.

I've had senior flex graphite in a hybrid and the driver I'm bagging now and, even though my swingspeed is not great but probably a decent amount above average for a 65 year old male, I overpowered those senior flex clubs to the point of being barely playable.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I'm a senior dude. I play a regular flex shaft in driver but I tipped it two inches before installation so it probably plays a little stiffer than regular. I put regular flex shafts in my assorted 3 and 5 woods but can't hit them well enough to trust them so I may try stiffer shafts, I pulled regular flex light steel shafts from my various Mizunos and put stiff graphite shafts in 4-PW MX 20 and 23's. I hit them way better than with steel regulars. The key for me with these irons is the lie angles. Yesterday I took my gap Vokey and MX 20 PW into Golf Galaxy for a quick bend to 2 degrees flat and am heading out in a few to a field near me to see if they hit better. They already feel much better on short chips and pitches. I may end up doing the whole set flat to some degree. I want to be able to hit soft cuts (fades) at will and think going a bit flat will help greatly. Last Saturday on the 12th at Pilgrims Oak (that nasty par 3 with the pond in front and overhanging trees on the right, I hit a 6 iron and purposely tried to cut it. It hit it perfectly right at the center of the green (where the hole was cut) but it carried a club too far and the ball ended sitting up real pretty below the stone wall and in the "Do Not Enter" fooking Environmental Area. Double bogey.

I've had senior flex graphite in a hybrid and the driver I'm bagging now and, even though my swingspeed is not great but probably a decent amount above average for a 65 year old male, I overpowered those senior flex clubs to the point of being barely playable.
    Thanks Mongrel.... I figure there are probably only (3) 60+ dudes here. You, Nifty and me... and there is no doubt that you have a much higher SS than me. I still manage R-flex driver, 3W, 5W gaybrids OK, no problem there. I am not a good iron player, never was and never will. I am better than OK from 6-PW, but distance was not there (6i= 140 yds off the Ts.... sucks big time), so I am hoping that Sr. graphite shaft would help with distance as I get older...

BTW, I love that 12th hole par-3, few times that I play there it's either par or bogey from white T. I seem to have more problem with 8th hole par 3.. I would play there more often if it were closer, you are farther away but still take me 1-hr to get there
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    Thanks Mongrel.... I figure there are probably only (3) 60+ dudes here. You, Nifty and me... and there is no doubt that you have a much higher SS than me. I still manage R-flex driver, 3W, 5W gaybrids OK, no problem there. I am not a good iron player, never was and never will. I am better than OK from 6-PW, but distance was not there (6i= 140 yds off the Ts.... sucks big time), so I am hoping that Sr. graphite shaft would help with distance as I get older...

BTW, I love that 12th hole par-3, few times that I play there it's either par or bogey from white T. I seem to have more problem with 8th hole par 3.. I would play there more often if it were closer, you are farther away but still take me 1-hr to get there
    The two times I played it I also had big problems with #8. First time it was a snowman-- quintuple bogey for the uninitiated. Second time a 5. Progress, anyway. Second time I forgot to finish my backswing and pull-popped up my hybrid just short of the creek on the left with the ball rolling into a groundhog hole. So damn it all the next time I will just take a 5 or 6 iron (after I get the lies bent flat) and nail it onto or near the green. I just came back from a field and hit about 80 balls at targets with my newly bent flat gap Vokey and MX 20 PW. The pulls are dead gone and now I am off to the GG to get the guy to bend the rest of them. Gotta di di.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

The two times I played it I also had big problems with #8. First time it was a snowman-- quintuple bogey for the uninitiated. Second time a 5. Progress, anyway. Second time I forgot to finish my backswing and pull-popped up my hybrid just short of the creek on the left with the ball rolling into a groundhog hole. So damn it all the next time I will just take a 5 or 6 iron (after I get the lies bent flat) and nail it onto or near the green. I just came back from a field and hit about 80 balls at targets with my newly bent flat gap Vokey and MX 20 PW. The pulls are dead gone and now I am off to the GG to get the guy to bend the rest of them. Gotta di di.
    I went to GolfSmith to check out R-flex vs. Senior flex . Tested mizuno 825 head with Project X 5.0 R-flex graphite vs 4.5 senior flex... then Ping G-20 head with TFC R-flex vs senior flex... and Adams CB3 Ozik (?) graphite shaft... NO, I don't need senior shaft... I hit R-flex graphite shaft much much better . I am glade that I confirm that. For my swing, I am impressed with Mizuno 825/ Project X graphite shaft, the best of the bunch... CB3 comes in very very close second and G-20 with TFC shaft comes in a distance third

I am 65, and have tried senior iron shafts twice; once in a driver, and once in irons; I lost yardage, accuracy, and hit the ball to high with both. Going lighter to keep club head speed is proving to be more beneficial for me. Still experimenting, but my latest trial is going well with 85 gram stiff graphite in irons, and the superlite Cleveland driver (had to shorten the driver to get some consistency). Distance wise, the irons are about one club longer; however, the bigger benefit, for me is less effort expended with the same or better results; helps to be hitting as well or better at the end of 18 holes as I did at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by JonT View Post
    I am 65, and have tried senior iron shafts twice; once in a driver, and once in irons; I lost yardage, accuracy, and hit the ball to high with both. Going lighter to keep club head speed is proving to be more beneficial for me. Still experimenting, but my latest trial is going well with 85 gram stiff graphite in irons, and the superlite Cleveland driver (had to shorten the driver to get some consistency). Distance wise, the irons are about one club longer; however, the bigger benefit, for me is less effort expended with the same or better results; helps to be hitting as well or better at the end of 18 holes as I did at the beginning.
    My current gamer driver is my favorite head I've ever hit. I got it cheap two months or so ago probably because it had a factory Mitsu Bassara 45 gram senior flex shaft. It felt OK in the Golf Galaxy simulator and it was cheaper than any of them on Ebay so I took it home. Played one round before I pulled the shaft on it. On several tees, I wound up and just crushed the ball with perfect swings only to have the ball shoot out about 100 yards and nose-dive into the gunge short of the fairways. Right after the first one, I thought I cold topped it but the ball left a faint mark dead center face right in the sweetspot and my attack angle is about level at its steepest. Later I figured out that the senior soft tip must have almost collapsed. Much better with the next shaft in regular flex at around 67 grams. Several shafts later, I now have an R flex tipped two inches weighing about 58 grams. An off season project might be to find a really light shaft in the 40-50 gram range in stiff or X and install it at 46 or 46/5 inches. The head is so damn nice that I think I can handle it at that length so long as the balance and feel fits. For this 65 year old, light is where it's at.

My current gamer driver is my favorite head I've ever hit. I got it cheap two months or so ago probably because it had a factory Mitsu Bassara 45 gram senior flex shaft. It felt OK in the Golf Galaxy simulator and it was cheaper than any of them on Ebay so I took it home. Played one round before I pulled the shaft on it. On several tees, I wound up and just crushed the ball with perfect swings only to have the ball shoot out about 100 yards and nose-dive into the gunge short of the fairways. Right after the first one, I thought I cold topped it but the ball left a faint mark dead center face right in the sweetspot and my attack angle is about level at its steepest. Later I figured out that the senior soft tip must have almost collapsed. Much better with the next shaft in regular flex at around 67 grams. Several shafts later, I now have an R flex tipped two inches weighing about 58 grams. An off season project might be to find a really light shaft in the 40-50 gram range in stiff or X and install it at 46 or 46/5 inches. The head is so damn nice that I think I can handle it at that length so long as the balance and feel fits. For this 65 year old, light is where it's at.
    I don't have data to prove - which is NOT the nature of a scientist - but my hypothesis is that lighter shaft wt (slightly stiffer is OK) would be a way to go for me... I like 55-g driver shaft, I have a 55-g firm shaft in my Cally 3 W and I hit it very well for my swing. If Jon T can handle 85-g stiff shaft then more power to Jon, I can also handle 85-g shaft but I am afraid that my arms would be tired after 18 holes

I don't have data to prove - which is NOT the nature of a scientist - but my hypothesis is that lighter shaft wt (slightly stiffer is OK) would be a way to go for me... I like 55-g driver shaft, I have a 55-g firm shaft in my Cally 3 W and I hit it very well for my swing. If Jon T can handle 85-g stiff shaft then more power to Jon, I can also handle 85-g shaft but I am afraid that my arms would be tired after 18 holes
    According to internet, Project X graphite for iron (R or senior flex) wt 91-93 grams. I assume that is uncut, and I hit it quite well with Mizuno 825 head, go figure ??? heavier wt better momentum ???
    Last edited by Pky6471; 09-23-2012 at 05:08 AM.

I see plenty of guys older than me still hitting good irons with 130 gram steel shafts. The quality of the strike is more important than the measured clubhead speed whether its driver or wedge. The graphite shafts in my irons weighed about 68 grams each after cutting to length which is probably too light theoretically for the speed I generate but I weighted them to suit me. I'm sure other heavier graphite would be better than what I have now. Reviews and reports of the Steelfiber iron shafts are glowing but then they are at least $40 per shaft. I paid $4.97 each for mine so I will live with them for awhile.

I see plenty of guys older than me still hitting good irons with 130 gram steel shafts. The quality of the strike is more important than the measured clubhead speed whether its driver or wedge. The graphite shafts in my irons weighed about 68 grams each after cutting to length which is probably too light theoretically for the speed I generate but I weighted them to suit me. I'm sure other heavier graphite would be better than what I have now. Reviews and reports of the Steelfiber iron shafts are glowing but then they are at least $40 per shaft. I paid $4.97 each for mine so I will live with them for awhile.
    yeah you guys are strong, eat steak all your life... I eat instant noodles all my life... It's a HUGE difference in strength

Thread Information