|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

I have to buy a sleeve and test it out

http://www.golfreview.com/cat/balls/...x.aspx#reviews

if anything, it should be good for colder weather due to low compression property (when it's cold Tg of polymer will be higher... so high compression ball , i.e. high Tg would make you feel like you are hitting glass when it's cold...)

Memory loss with age can be a very difficult thing. Wasn't it you who started a thread last week about those balls? I have taken tomorrow afternoon off from work so I can go to the range and hopefully find a swing that will work OK for my group round Saturday morning in PA. A decent corn and soybean farm turned into a real horror show of a golf course called "Royal Manchester." Looking at it from Space via my own Google Earth satellite, it appears to be very close to the Susquehanna River and probably Three Mile Island although they must have re-named it after the success of The China Syndrome.

Sorry for the long wind but the point I was getting to is that I may stop into Dick's and see if they have those Duo's. If they do, I'll put one in play off #1 and play it until it disappears into the two foot high fescue those Dirt Farmers let grow instead of normal rough. I got a new (used) putter too so there's no excuse for not scoring better than I did last time at this venue.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Good luck to you Mongrel, I know the feeling-finding a swing. Used to be I'd step up to the 1st tee (over water) at our course and just hit the ball down the middle....the last couple of years I think 'just get over the water'. Let us know how the ball works for you, I think I might check them out too. Hit'em straight!

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Memory loss with age can be a very difficult thing. Wasn't it you who started a thread last week about those balls? I have taken tomorrow afternoon off from work so I can go to the range and hopefully find a swing that will work OK for my group round Saturday morning in PA. A decent corn and soybean farm turned into a real horror show of a golf course called "Royal Manchester." Looking at it from Space via my own Google Earth satellite, it appears to be very close to the Susquehanna River and probably Three Mile Island although they must have re-named it after the success of The China Syndrome.

Sorry for the long wind but the point I was getting to is that I may stop into Dick's and see if they have those Duo's. If they do, I'll put one in play off #1 and play it until it disappears into the two foot high fescue those Dirt Farmers let grow instead of normal rough. I got a new (used) putter too so there's no excuse for not scoring better than I did last time at this venue.
    Yes, it was me and I started again to agitate you guys/ Girls/ AC-DC

FYI... Dick's in Newark DE did not carry Wilson Duo ball... but the new store GolfSmith does carry them for about $20/dozen. If it really helps me in driver's distance then it's worth it for the 60s dudes. Seems like more reviewers like them

It goes good off the tee, but it took me awhile to get used to it around the green. Good ball, great ball for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by huskyhater View Post
    It goes good off the tee, but it took me awhile to get used to it around the green. Good ball, great ball for the price.
    It's good that you tried it out... sounds like more likes than dislikes

Last Saturday I found a Precept Laddie X in very good condition in the tall grass. Last evening I took my newly re-shafted Mizuno MP 14 blade 7 iron out to a field and hit about 15 balls in the fading twilight. The last five balls I hit at a target (stop sign) that was about 170 away from me on this small school ball field. I struck all five shots solidly and when I reached them, four balls were in almost a straight line from about 149 to 154. The fifth ball was right on line and about 160 yards. It was the Precept Laddie X. This Sunday morning, I will start my competitive round using this ball with the challenge to use it all 18 holes. If I can, I will go buy two dozen for the $19.95 they sell them for at Walmart or whereever.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Last Saturday I found a Precept Laddie X in very good condition in the tall grass. Last evening I took my newly re-shafted Mizuno MP 14 blade 7 iron out to a field and hit about 15 balls in the fading twilight. The last five balls I hit at a target (stop sign) that was about 170 away from me on this small school ball field. I struck all five shots solidly and when I reached them, four balls were in almost a straight line from about 149 to 154. The fifth ball was right on line and about 160 yards. It was the Precept Laddie X. This Sunday morning, I will start my competitive round using this ball with the challenge to use it all 18 holes. If I can, I will go buy two dozen for the $19.95 they sell them for at Walmart or whereever.
    I have been gaming that very ball the past few weeks. I had been gaming the Srixon AD333 but our local sporting goods store had these selling for $40 for two dozen. I went in when they had 25% off everything and bought two dozen for $30. When you consider that premium balls sell for up to $90 per dozen that is a seriously cheap ball here in NZ. I have bombed a few seriously long drives (for me) with it and it is fine chipping and putting. I'm sure some of the tour calibre players on the forum would whine that it doesn't spin enough around the green but it's fine for a hack like me.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I bought some boxes of the Wilson Elite 50 ball. Only 50 compression so definately a cold weather ball. I have played about 6 rounds with them now. Overall a very good ball. Great distance. Feels a little mushy off the driver but must be pretty low spin as it rolls out well. Probably 5 yards longer on average than the 1x. Feels great off the irons and very good off the putter. I think the only negative is it dosen't hold the greens on full shots in as well as the premium balls. So not the best on firm greens, on soft greens they would be fine. At less than $2 a ball and very durable I would certainly give them an 8 ot of 10.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I heard good comments about Precept Laddie X before

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    I have been gaming that very ball the past few weeks. I had been gaming the Srixon AD333 but our local sporting goods store had these selling for $40 for two dozen. I went in when they had 25% off everything and bought two dozen for $30. When you consider that premium balls sell for up to $90 per dozen that is a seriously cheap ball here in NZ. I have bombed a few seriously long drives (for me) with it and it is fine chipping and putting. I'm sure some of the tour calibre players on the forum would whine that it doesn't spin enough around the green but it's fine for a hack like me.
    Sadly, I'm down to my last sleeve of AD 333's and will probably save them as sentimental momentos. Those Laddie X's supposedly have 379 dimples and I remember the Titleist balls that had 392 dimples and I hit them the best. So dimple-wise, maybe the more the better for me. As far as spin, I've got super light softer tipped shafts on my irons so I can hit approaches higher. The spin I need is with driver to keep the damn ball in the air a little bit longer. Sucks getting old.

Sadly, I'm down to my last sleeve of AD 333's and will probably save them as sentimental momentos. Those Laddie X's supposedly have 379 dimples and I remember the Titleist balls that had 392 dimples and I hit them the best. So dimple-wise, maybe the more the better for me. As far as spin, I've got super light softer tipped shafts on my irons so I can hit approaches higher. The spin I need is with driver to keep the damn ball in the air a little bit longer. Sucks getting old.
    I hope that golf ball companies take science into dimple designs. Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) is one of many ways where they can predict how a golf ball would fly and be supported by the Eddie current. Fascinating subject but way above what I could understand
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fluent1.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	2891  

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    I hope that golf ball companies take science into dimple designs. Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) is one of many ways where they can predict how a golf ball would fly and be supported by the Eddie current. Fascinating subject but way above what I could understand
    The physics I can understand. Its always been the chemistry that mystifies me.

Best cheap ball I ever saw was the top flite D2 distance. They were absolutely superb feel wise, longer than any premium ball and the best feel off the putter ever. To me they felt a lot like a pro v1 X, that soft but solid feel off the clubface and putter. I found them to bite really well on full shots too. I gamed them for about 6 months til they were replaced by the freak, which was crap in comparison. IMHO they were bettrr than premium balls for everything except spin on chips.

They also had the coolest tv ad ever for them, with the on course commentator handing 'Alice' a d2 when he was going to lay up.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I play the Pro V1 or I don't play at all. Usually the pro gives them to me for free so he can tell people that FD was on the course that day. It's a win/win.

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    It's good that you tried it out... sounds like more likes than dislikes
    Gonna pick me up another dozen or two at that (19.95) price. Hit'em straight!

Does anybody remember when nearly every 1.68" ball, regardless of who made it, had the identical 336 dimple pattern?

I played the original Spalding Top Flite with that pattern until it went out of production. Spalding's wound premium ball of the era, the Dot, had the identical dimple pattern.

But then again, so did the Titleist K2, the Dunlop Maxfli, and all the other big models. If I remember, alternative dimple patterns started around the late seventies, although of that, I'm not certain.

My playing partner (a ten cap) showed me this 'new ball his son had given him to try out'. It was the Wilson Duo. He shot 76 with the Duo, six shots under his cap. William Tornquist the IV was right. Those Duo's are something else.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Does anybody remember when nearly every 1.68" ball, regardless of who made it, had the identical 336 dimple pattern?

I played the original Spalding Top Flite with that pattern until it went out of production. Spalding's wound premium ball of the era, the Dot, had the identical dimple pattern.

But then again, so did the Titleist K2, the Dunlop Maxfli, and all the other big models. If I remember, alternative dimple patterns started around the late seventies, although of that, I'm not certain.
    Bring that dimple pattern back, at least on tour. You will see more spin and shorter drives.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    Bring that dimple pattern back, at least on tour. You will see more spin and shorter drives.
    Along with the dimple pattern, the old wound construction had something to do with that, as well as the balata cover.

I don't remember when they stopped making wound balls, because I stopped playing them very early on,

but even wound ball models with the more durable surlyn cover didn't spin like the balata covered ones.

Now both balata and surlyn are history as far as I know.

The square grooves were made to spin the modern golf ball, so the new groove rules make no sense at all.

As for the distance of the modern ball, I honestly don't know how the new dimple patterns contribute, but again, the different ball construction has to be a major contributor as well.

Putting the old dimple pattern on the modern golf ball would be an interesting experiment, though.

Last night I found a Pro V1 392 original iteration, which goes all the way back to '01, I believe. Lettering looks like it was done with an IBM Selectric in Courier. Nearly new condition, too, just one small blemish.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    I have been playing fluffys reccomended Callaway diablo hx tour. There long, feel good, durable, decent enough aroung the greens. 28 dollars at the course for a dozen, and the pro say thats a great ball. I have some prov1 in stock though.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Thread Information