|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Taylormade Tour Preferred Irons?

I've never really taken a good look at these irons before but I saw a used set in the shop last week and I really like the profile. The irons have small head with very limited offset.

Has anyone tried these irons? I know in general that GR folks don't like Taylormade irons but I believe an exception may be in order for this set. By the way, I'm referring to the 2009 set, not the latest abominations with the hex screw in the cavity. Photo below (if you can't see the photo try it with Firefox).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	taylor tp.jpg 
Views:	650 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	2755  

Kenny Perkins almost won the masters with these, a lot of pros played them. I have hit them and really like them, even though they are not forged.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins View Post
    Kenny Perkins almost won the masters with these, a lot of pros played them. I have hit them and really like them, even though they are not forged.
    Isn't Kenny Perkins the guy who wears those Translation lenses and donates 10% of his winnings to his mosque?

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Isn't Kenny Perkins the guy who wears those Translation lenses and donates 10% of his winnings to his mosque?
    This is what happens when you're thinking of someone who almost won the Masters and imagining yourself in the Masters at the same time. It's like what happened to Neo when he saw the rabbit twice. Next thing you know Dave will wake up in a glass pod filled with slime.

On another note, I would like to amend the subject of this thread to anyone who has hit the subject irons OR the Titleist 762 irons. I've heard great things about the Titleist 762 irons and they usually go fairly cheap. I'm looking for an advanced player's iron with game improvement qualities whilst providing great distance.

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins View Post
    Dave, I'm now concerned you like to tamp down on the rough behind your ball and beat up on easy opponents.

FD, FWIW, I'm toying with the idea of replacing my MP-32-s with TP RAC LT-s, the original, not the 2-s. I liked the irons alot, my only hesitance is they were a little easy for me to overdraw.
    GR lives...

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I've never really taken a good look at these irons before but I saw a used set in the shop last week and I really like the profile. The irons have small head with very limited offset.

Has anyone tried these irons? I know in general that GR folks don't like Taylormade irons but I believe an exception may be in order for this set. By the way, I'm referring to the 2009 set, not the latest abominations with the hex screw in the cavity. Photo below (if you can't see the photo try it with Firefox).
    I rented a set of TMs once with heads very much like those. I liked them, but I wasn't blown away.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    Dave, I'm now concerned you like to tamp down on the rough behind your ball and beat up on easy opponents.

FD, FWIW, I'm toying with the idea of replacing my MP-32-s with TP RAC LT-s, the original, not the 2-s. I liked the irons alot, my only hesitance is they were a little easy for me to overdraw.
    1) Dave. Kenny Perry played the Taylormade R7 irons in the Masters, not even the TP version.
    2) The Taylormade RAC LTs are awesome looking irons but I've heard the lack in distance and shoot the ball up too high.

I am leaning more toward the Titleist 762 irons. They look similar to the Titleist 990 but have a slightly larger head and stronger lofts.

1) Dave. Kenny Perry played the Taylormade R7 irons in the Masters, not even the TP version.
    2) The Taylormade RAC LTs are awesome looking irons but I've heard the lack in distance and shoot the ball up too high.

I am leaning more toward the Titleist 762 irons. They look similar to the Titleist 990 but have a slightly larger head and stronger lofts.
    I bought a used set of RAC LT's couple of years ago trading in my Top Flite Tour oversized irons. Played one round with them. Possibly the worst irons I've ever hit on the course but they felt good in the Golf Galaxy simulator. Traded them in on a set of Cleveland TA4's, again they felt good in the simulator but were even shorter and less reliable than the RAC LT's. Next I bought a well used set of MP 14's. Ah, light years ahead of anything cast I've ever hit. Tried a set of used 990's at the Golf Galaxy two weeks ago. Hit them all-- 3 throough wedge. Felt worse than the RAC LT's, Cleveland TA 4's and anything else in memory. If they felt even a little good, I would have taken them home for the $59 asking price for 3-PW. VG to excellent condition with DG S300's and good grips. You want an iron with good distance that you don't even have to think about how you need to do this or that in your swing in order to hit it good? Mizuno MX 23. A no brainer.

I'm trying to remember, it's been a while since I've played them, but I think you're right about the high ball flight. I do remember them being fairly long nonetheless, as though the lofts were jacked. Before I reshaft I guess I'll take a few to the range.
    GR lives...

I'm trying to remember, it's been a while since I've played them, but I think you're right about the high ball flight. I do remember them being fairly long nonetheless, as though the lofts were jacked. Before I reshaft I guess I'll take a few to the range.
    One of the great, relatively unknown irons out there is the Titleist 704 CB iron. I'm pretty sure they didn't sell because of the bland look. However, I've tried them on the range and they feel fantastic and are much easier to hit than a forged CB club.

One of the great, relatively unknown irons out there is the Titleist 704 CB iron. I'm pretty sure they didn't sell because of the bland look. However, I've tried them on the range and they feel fantastic and are much easier to hit than a forged CB club.
    You can still find the original LT-s in excellent condition on-line for under $250. It might be interesting to do a thread of that type. Best irons currently available for less than $250, or some such price. Maybe with drivers too. I don't have the knowledge to handle this but you and some of the others do.

I bought a used set of RAC LT's couple of years ago trading in my Top Flite Tour oversized irons. Played one round with them. Possibly the worst irons I've ever hit on the course but they felt good in the Golf Galaxy simulator.

What was it you didn't like about them? Could it have been the shafts?
    GR lives...

Has anyone tried these irons?

Leith Anderson at Cal. Golf Tech. has these on his all-time vintage favorites list:

http://www.calgolftech.com/products/vintage_top10.html

Quote Originally Posted by 24putts View Post
    Leith Anderson at Cal. Golf Tech. has these on his all-time vintage favorites list:

http://www.calgolftech.com/products/vintage_top10.html

Three things on Leith Anderson:

First, Leith should be recognized for recognizing the Ping Eye 2 BeCu irons as the best of all time.

Second, Phil Mickelson played the stainless Ping Eye 2 irons and never played the Ping Eye 2 BeCu Lob Wedge.

Third, the BeCu lob wedge normally sells for $175 to $225 on Ebay. It seems to me that Leith is exaggerating a little bit.

Leith, if you're out there, please be careful when discussing Ping Eye 2s and make sure that you get your facts straight before posting something on a website. That's the leith you could do.

You can still find the original LT-s in excellent condition on-line for under $250. It might be interesting to do a thread of that type. Best irons currently available for less than $250, or some such price. Maybe with drivers too. I don't have the knowledge to handle this but you and some of the others do.

What was it you didn't like about them? Could it have been the shafts?
    OK. I had just started a search for a set of irons I could play well with and I was used to forged blades but my Palmers were trashed so that's why I got the TopFlite Tours. They were cast but looked good at setup. First set had 6.5 Rifles that were way too stiff for me. Traded them on a set with Dynalite Gold S300's and they were better but not good enough. Saw the RAC LT's with stiff shafts in Golf Galaxy for $96 for 4-PW. After a month I of trouble I started to do research on shafts and figured out that the LT's had Taylor proprietary True Tempers that I think were called TX-90 or something like that. The first step was way up there from the top of the hosel and I coundn't get any kind of solid contact with any of them from the typcal hard clay turf around here. When I did hit one solid, it felt dead. I even had the Golf Galaxy Guy bend them a degree flat after whacking them on an impact board. No improvement. The Mizuno MP-14's with DG S300's were light years easier for me to hit well. Then I put Dynalite Gold SL S300's in the MP 14's and hit them insanely high but far enough. I got a set of Tit 755's after the MP 14's and they are a nice forged mid sized club but the MX 23's are the cream of the crop for me at the moment.

OK. I had just started a search for a set of irons I could play well with and I was used to forged blades but my Palmers were trashed so that's why I got the TopFlite Tours. They were cast but looked good at setup. First set had 6.5 Rifles that were way too stiff for me. Traded them on a set with Dynalite Gold S300's and they were better but not good enough. Saw the RAC LT's with stiff shafts in Golf Galaxy for $96 for 4-PW. After a month I of trouble I started to do research on shafts and figured out that the LT's had Taylor proprietary True Tempers that I think were called TX-90 or something like that. The first step was way up there from the top of the hosel and I coundn't get any kind of solid contact with any of them from the typcal hard clay turf around here. When I did hit one solid, it felt dead. I even had the Golf Galaxy Guy bend them a degree flat after whacking them on an impact board. No improvement. The Mizuno MP-14's with DG S300's were light years easier for me to hit well. Then I put Dynalite Gold SL S300's in the MP 14's and hit them insanely high but far enough. I got a set of Tit 755's after the MP 14's and they are a nice forged mid sized club but the MX 23's are the cream of the crop for me at the moment.
    I keep going round and round on what irons to get. It's kind of annoying. When I demo, just about everything seems fine. I should just get some MP-s reshaft them with my KBS Tours and call it a day.
    GR lives...

I keep going round and round on what irons to get. It's kind of annoying. When I demo, just about everything seems fine. I should just get some MP-s reshaft them with my KBS Tours and call it a day.
    Didn't you buy a set of Titleist 710 CB irons? What was wrong with those?

Yep. Different heads feel different sometimes with the same shafts. I really like the 103 gram uncut Dynalite Gold SL's but the MX 23 4-7 irons I just got have Dynalite Gold regulars in them and the clubs are the smoothest irons I've ever hit but with a low boring trajectory. So I took the torch to the 7 iron Friday night and put a 7 iron Dynalite Gold SL I pulled from the 755 head. Took it out Saturday off the mats and yesterday off the turf. Hits a good bit higher but didn't seem to balloon. Felt about the same weight but nowhere near as smooth. The same shaft in the MP 14 7 iron feels like microwaved butter. Do you have the KBS shafts in your MP 32's?

Yep. Different heads feel different sometimes with the same shafts. I really like the 103 gram uncut Dynalite Gold SL's but the MX 23 4-7 irons I just got have Dynalite Gold regulars in them and the clubs are the smoothest irons I've ever hit but with a low boring trajectory. So I took the torch to the 7 iron Friday night and put a 7 iron Dynalite Gold SL I pulled from the 755 head. Took it out Saturday off the mats and yesterday off the turf. Hits a good bit higher but didn't seem to balloon. Felt about the same weight but nowhere near as smooth. The same shaft in the MP 14 7 iron feels like microwaved butter. Do you have the KBS shafts in your MP 32's?
    I do and really like the combo. Whatever I get I'd like to work well with the KBS, particularly considering I'm not installing them. That's why I'm thinking something from Mizuno.
    GR lives...

I do and really like the combo. Whatever I get I'd like to work well with the KBS, particularly considering I'm not installing them. That's why I'm thinking something from Mizuno.
    To mess with any other brand is to just ask for dissatisfaction. Do you really want to be like FD and keep buying and trying out different brands of sticks all your life?
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    To mess with any other brand is to just ask for dissatisfaction. Do you really want to be like FD and keep buying and trying out different brands of sticks all your life?
    It does have its benefits. For instance, if someone joins our group I can give them a quick analysis and in-depth review of the clubs in their bag.

Loz, the Rac lt's were a really good iron. Stock shaft was pretty good. The lofts were not jacked, pw 47* which was normal for a set like that in 2006, their year of release.
    If I were you I would pick up some TM 300's. Their best cb by a mile. TM has made some great irons, contrary to what is often said here.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    Loz, the Rac lt's were a really good iron. Stock shaft was pretty good. The lofts were not jacked, pw 47* which was normal for a set like that in 2006, their year of release.
    If I were you I would pick up some TM 300's. Their best cb by a mile. TM has made some great irons, contrary to what is often said here.
    You still enjoying the comp ez Op? I went out 2 days ago, and felt a little rusty, as it was pretty cool temps, and windy but still managed a 79. I think I'm going to play a softer ball, as these provix feel a little hard on these chilly mornings. I found a penta tp I've played a couple rounds with, and they feel great.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Any round under 80 is good, especially in trying conditions. The ez's are still in the bag and performing well. I like the DG plus shafts, I'm not sure what the difference is to standard DG's but the distance and trajectory is very good.
    The weather is starting to warm up here downunder and the course conditions are very good as we have had good rain this year. I'm going out tomorrow so I will try and shoot under 80 myself. Not garanteed as the form has been a little ordinary in recent weeks.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Tacky looking and crap feeling irons. Don't waste your money. Even my middle of the road TPS 6.0 are lightyears ahead of those chop sticks. IMO if you want cast player CBs Titleist is pretty much the only way to go.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Any round under 80 is good, especially in trying conditions. The ez's are still in the bag and performing well. I like the DG plus shafts, I'm not sure what the difference is to standard DG's but the distance and trajectory is very good.
    The weather is starting to warm up here downunder and the course conditions are very good as we have had good rain this year. I'm going out tomorrow so I will try and shoot under 80 myself. Not garanteed as the form has been a little ordinary in recent weeks.
    Our course is also in fantastic condition. We have also had plenty of rain and the spring weather has brought new growth and the fairways and greens are looking the best I've seen them in 5 years. Need to make the most of it as they already appear to be drying out which is inevitable once we hit the height of summer. I shot 80 on Sunday, my best round for a while. A silly 3 putt after I had hit a par 3 green cost me 79 but still a good round for me.

I actually had the MP32s in the bag. Took them to Aussie but didn't really get a chance to play. Left them in the bag on Sunday and had one of my better rounds. Wondering why I bothered getting the MP58s now. They have the same specs and S300 shaft but I seem to like the 32s a bit better at the moment.

I can't believe Zo is considering going back to an old model like the Rac Lts. To me the Rac Lts, Lt 2s and R7 TPs were all basically the same iron with a slightly different color/pattern/style in the cavity. Fundamentally the same iron, same lofts, cast with less offset and thinner topline than the RAC OS or OS 2 or standard R7 but still fundamentally a shovel in size compared to other players irons like Zo's MP32s. Same lofts 21* 3 iron to 47* PW. I played the Lt 2s on vacation once and liked them a lot and that lead me to buy the R7 TPs about a year later. I don't know why Zo would want to go back to an iron like that after playing the 32s so long.

As for the Tour Preferred irons, they were similar to the Rac LT/R7 TP but slightly shorter blade length heel to toe. I'm sure FD would like them. They may even stay in the bag up to 3 days before he inevitably sells them and replaces them with another set of Ping Eye 2 BeCu's or Ping Zings.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

It's interesting you say that about the 300-s. I demoed the LT-2-s and R7-s each when they came out and remember thinking, WTF, successive generations of TM irons were getting worse not better. I thought the R7-s were astonishingly bad.

I remember reading the then new company head had come in with a marketing background. I wrote TM off at that point, figuring I preferred to buy my equipment from a design company rather than a marketing one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    I can't believe Zo is considering going back to an old model like the Rac Lts. To me the Rac Lts, Lt 2s and R7 TPs were all basically the same iron with a slightly different color/pattern/style in the cavity. Fundamentally the same iron, same lofts, cast with less offset and thinner topline than the RAC OS or OS 2 or standard R7 but still fundamentally a shovel in size compared to other players irons like Zo's MP32s. Same lofts 21* 3 iron to 47* PW. I played the Lt 2s on vacation once and liked them a lot and that lead me to buy the R7 TPs about a year later. I don't know why Zo would want to go back to an iron like that after playing the 32s so long.
    Kiwi, I can't believe it either. My justification seems to be they're lying on the garage floor. Since I can't decide what to get, why not play them? It's similar to when you've been broken up with a woman for a while, you've forgotten what it was that made you run for it and she's made that u-turn in your mind back to sexual desirability. Except I wouldn't try to have sex with the LT-s the way I did with the MP-32-s.

Crap, I'm just kind of throwing up my hands. The MP-32-s have ruined me for other irons.
    GR lives...

It's interesting you say that about the 300-s. I demoed the LT-2-s and R7-s each when they came out and remember thinking, WTF, successive generations of TM irons were getting worse not better. I thought the R7-s were astonishingly bad.

I remember reading the then new company head had come in with a marketing background. I wrote TM off at that point, figuring I preferred to buy my equipment from a design company rather than a marketing one.

Kiwi, I can't believe it either. My justification seems to be they're lying on the garage floor. Since I can't decide what to get, why not play them? It's similar to when you've been broken up with a woman for a while, you've forgotten what it was that made you run for it and she's made that u-turn in your mind back to sexual desirability. Except I wouldn't try to have sex with the LT-s the way I did with the MP-32-s.

Crap, I'm just kind of throwing up my hands. The MP-32-s have ruined me for other irons.
    Well that's fair enough then. Why not just bag em and see what you think? I don't think I would like the R7s anymore even though I used to love them. I didn't realise you still had them. Assumed you would have to E-Bay a set ala Famousdavis.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Well that's fair enough then. Why not just bag em and see what you think? I don't think I would like the R7s anymore even though I used to love them. I didn't realise you still had them. Assumed you would have to E-Bay a set ala Famousdavis.
    It's the easiest albeit a temporary solution. I imagine after 10-12 overdraws into bunkers on par 3-s I'll pick out some Mizunos.

I'm bad at getting rid of old clubs. As we speak, I have in my living room next to the pool table a gaudy Toshiba Classic staff bag housing 4 old drivers, 4 old fairway woods, two old putters and an old hybrid.
    GR lives...

I've got a bit of a collection building up too.

Currently up to 5 sets of irons, 3 drivers, 3 putters and other old fairway woods, wedges etc. I do need to get rid of some.

When SWMBO gives me sh.it about so many clubs I just defer to Oldplayer as my scapegoat "You think that's bad? My buddy in Melbourne has about 50 sets!"
    That's right, we may have Packrat Syndrome, but OP's whole house is a shopping cart filled with old newspapers.
    GR lives...

Ok, it's getting annoying that posts aren't in chronological order.
    GR lives...

It's the easiest albeit a temporary solution. I imagine after 10-12 overdraws into bunkers on par 3-s I'll pick out some Mizunos.

I'm bad at getting rid of old clubs. As we speak, I have in my living room next to the pool table a gaudy Toshiba Classic staff bag housing 4 old drivers, 4 old fairway woods, two old putters and an old hybrid.

Currently up to 5 sets of irons, 3 drivers, 3 putters and other old fairway woods, wedges etc. I do need to get rid of some.

When SWMBO gives me sh.it about so many clubs I just defer to Oldplayer as my scapegoat "You think that's bad? My buddy in Melbourne has about 50 sets!"

Now where the f#ck am I?

I just picked up the babies at GolfMart today. I guess they took them in on a trade this morning. 4-PW, Bridgestone TourStage X-Blade CB, DGS 300 with brand new Multi-Compound Red/Black grips. They actually look better in person than they do in the photo. They were listed for $149 but I bargained down to $129. I'm not sure what these normally go for price-wise. I hit the 8 iron and 5 iron on the range and they feel really solid with what appeared to be great distance. A little clicky feeling, kind of like the Callaway 2009 X-Forged. I will try them this weekend. Stay tuned.

Name:	tourstage.jpg 
Views:	507 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	2756  

Not sure if the photo came out.

Name:	tourstage2.jpg 
Views:	507 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	2757  

Not sure if the photo came out.
    I had to go to the Gallery where the photo is posting. Omigod did you get a deal there. Those are beautiful looking irons.

I had to go to the Gallery where the photo is posting. Omigod did you get a deal there. Those are beautiful looking irons.

Thanks. I know very little about Bridgestone TourStage irons. OP and Kiwi seem to be the experts in that area. I don't know what year these came out but the guy in the shop said they were 6 years old. Of course, those shop guys are wrong half the time. He also showed me the TourStage driver the guy traded in. It was a very deep-faced driver that came out around the same time the irons did.

Our course is also in fantastic condition. We have also had plenty of rain and the spring weather has brought new growth and the fairways and greens are looking the best I've seen them in 5 years. Need to make the most of it as they already appear to be drying out which is inevitable once we hit the height of summer. I shot 80 on Sunday, my best round for a while. A silly 3 putt after I had hit a par 3 green cost me 79 but still a good round for me.

I actually had the MP32s in the bag. Took them to Aussie but didn't really get a chance to play. Left them in the bag on Sunday and had one of my better rounds. Wondering why I bothered getting the MP58s now. They have the same specs and S300 shaft but I seem to like the 32s a bit better at the moment.

As for the Tour Preferred irons, they were similar to the Rac LT/R7 TP but slightly shorter blade length heel to toe. I'm sure FD would like them. They may even stay in the bag up to 3 days before he inevitably sells them and replaces them with another set of Ping Eye 2 BeCu's or Ping Zings.
    Because you are a club ho like the rest of us. Congratulations.

There are better ones. Trust me. The 32s are alright, but they are just so "clicky." Go test run a set of MP-67s and you'll never look back.

I just picked up the babies at GolfMart today. I guess they took them in on a trade this morning. 4-PW, Bridgestone TourStage X-Blade CB, DGS 300 with brand new Multi-Compound Red/Black grips. They actually look better in person than they do in the photo. They were listed for $149 but I bargained down to $129. I'm not sure what these normally go for price-wise. I hit the 8 iron and 5 iron on the range and they feel really solid with what appeared to be great distance. A little clicky feeling, kind of like the Callaway 2009 X-Forged. I will try them this weekend. Stay tuned.
    How do these rate to the Z101s, OP?

I'm sure they rate right up there. Tourstage are premium forgings. A little wasted on FD though. I'm sure he'll sell them withing a few days and declare that Ping Eye 2s are best feeling irons ever.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Congrats FD

They look really nice, similar to the Z101s but different shape cavity. I'm surprised you find them clicky. The Z101s I have are as soft feeling as they come IMO. I hope you enjoy them but what does it really matter. Regardless of how they perform we all know you'll sell them in a few days and go back to a set of Ping Eye 2s.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Glad I can be be of assistance Kiwi. But remember this. You are still a relatively young man. You have plenty of time to ho 50 sets or so in the coming years. Oh, and don't forget to ho some drivers, wedges, putters and fairway clubs while you are at it.

I haven't hit that model but one thing can be said; you just can't go wrong in ho-ing Tourstage irons. Premium forgings and always built to tight tolerances. I am a big fan, as most know, and feel that they remain one of the worlds most under appreciated irons.

Good pick-up FD. Give them a chance to grow on you. Don't re-sell them after a couple of rounds, but come back to them later if at first they don't impress you.

hello

Badaling Great Wall Beijing
    Great Wall I like the forum and I am interested in the topic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just my input.last Thursday i was at an demo day. out off all the different club manufacturers i will say taylormade was the worst. There drivers are all game improvement clubs,that does not offer versatility nor any distance, Even there Tour MB irons,And I by the way love MB irons, I could not even get them off the ground,and when I did they felt dead as in those 20year old steel irons. The R11 was thick and that is on easy club to hit,but you cant work the ball,also could not get any distance with the taylormade because of the game improvement the ball just flies higher the harder you hit it.

The good irons where:
    1.Nike VR2 irons,coming out now.I loved those, Very easy to hit and work.
    2.Mizuno mp68,69, (Currently playing the mp33,so obviously they are the same)
    3.Wilson forged MB semi blades,
    4.even the Cleveland cg16(may be wrong one,but the tour iron) was workable small and easy to hit.
    5.Adams, had a brown tour edition iron,that was also nice to hit,The club had some small "mesh" pattern at the back of the club,Was still nice.
    6.Ping tour edition clubs where okay,but had a very very very very very tiny sweet spot.Did I mention very tiny?

The best feeling longest drivers where:
    all stiff or x stiff 8.5 - 9.5 degrees

Cleveland the 310 was awesome. Even when I tried to work the driver left or right it just went straightish,hitting it with 90% strengh was easy to get the ball in the air and very far.Was clocking it at 330Yards on those swing meters

nike black machspeed was just as awesume,similar feeling then the cleveland.

The ping G20 in 8.5 X stiff 70g shaft was a beast,kept low but went a mile.popped this one over 300meters a few times.

The Taylormade R11 driver is worthless. The only nice thing is the settings for left or right,But there's not enough "easy distance" on every swing

All the callaway drivers are very nice drivers,Especially the titanium face ones.

I absolutely hate composite drivers.The ball feels harder of the face and it doesnt feel responsive enough.I think composite is still in its early stages and I will rather be sticking to my Titanium face drivers.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "The statement below is true.
    The statement above is false"

The mx23 with dynalite gold is the best I've ever hit. I'm talking smooth. The SL shaft is made from s3 proprietary sreel and is much harsher.
    I have dynalite golds in my Maxfli A10 tours, and they feel awesome.
    I tried telling everybody years ago, about the 23 with that shaft. The Dg plus with sensicore in the comp ez is close.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Thanks. I know very little about Bridgestone TourStage irons. OP and Kiwi seem to be the experts in that area. I don't know what year these came out but the guy in the shop said they were 6 years old. Of course, those shop guys are wrong half the time. He also showed me the TourStage driver the guy traded in. It was a very deep-faced driver that came out around the same time the irons did.
    Fd don't be a fool and sell those. I could of more then doubled my money on my 3-pw z101 with z 52 and z 56 wedges. It's not about the money. Look at that gorgeous topline, small yet suprisingly easy to hit head. I practice, and play mine to keep me sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    The mx23 with dynalite gold is the best I've ever hit. I'm talking smooth. The SL shaft is made from s3 proprietary sreel and is much harsher.
    I have dynalite golds in my Maxfli A10 tours, and they feel awesome.
    I tried telling everybody years ago, about the 23 with that shaft. The Dg plus with sensicore in the comp ez is close.
    Would you guys knock it off!

Just when I thought I'd settled on a set of MP-58s that I can stick with for the long term and stop ho'ing all this gushing praise for the MX-23 makes me think I need to get me a set.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Well, trying out the TM "LT"-s was a worthless endeavor. While the shafts were DG which give a sense of deadness copared to KBS Tours, after about 6 years of Mizunos, they just felt awful and lifeness. I also can't find anything low trajectory about them. Maybe they meant low trajectorey compared to a missile taking off.

So I'm getting Mizunos. Sooner's pushing the 67-s, Kiwi's ready to jump on another bandwagon at any moment so maybe that disqualifies the 58-s. I was kind of thinking the 57-s or 58-s. Then again I could probably get a lightly used set of 32-s for about $250.

An further thoughts, Mizuno guys?
    GR lives...

Would you guys knock it off!

Just when I thought I'd settled on a set of MP-58s that I can stick with for the long term and stop ho'ing all this gushing praise for the MX-23 makes me think I need to get me a set.
    Set number 6 coming up!! Only 44 to go.
    i was curious too so got a set of mx25 as you know. They certainly are every bit as good as the hos on here say they are.

i was curious too so got a set of mx25 as you know. They certainly are every bit as good as the hos on here say they are.
    Stop it, I'm not getting MX irons. It would be like getting a Ferrari with an electric motor.
    GR lives...

Well, trying out the TM "LT"-s was a worthless endeavor. While the shafts were DG which give a sense of deadness copared to KBS Tours, after about 6 years of Mizunos, they just felt awful and lifeness. I also can't find anything low trajectory about them. Maybe they meant low trajectorey compared to a missile taking off.

So I'm getting Mizunos. Sooner's pushing the 67-s, Kiwi's ready to jump on another bandwagon at any moment so maybe that disqualifies the 58-s. I was kind of thinking the 57-s or 58-s. Then again I could probably get a lightly used set of 32-s for about $250.

Of the latest models I suggest you demo the 59s, 69s and 63s.

The earlier generation was the 58s, 68s and 62s.

You won't go wrong with any of these. If you want blades in the short irons a mixed set of 62/63s or 58/59s in say the 3-5/6 and 68/69s in the 6/7-PW would be the way to go.

But if you decide to go with the full set of 62/63 or 58/59 in 3-PW you can't go wrong either.

I'm only kidding about the MP-58s. I'm liking them a lot and find them fairly comparable to the MP-32s. Similar size and shape at address and feel great.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Prior to getting the 58s there were a couple of decent looking sets going for a reasonable price on Trademe.

I wasn't really tempted, they just look like another shovel to me but Mongrel and Sandwich raving about them perked my interest. But I'm definitely selling some other sets before I get any more!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Prior to getting the 58s there were a couple of decent looking sets going for a reasonable price on Trademe.

I wasn't really tempted, they just look like another shovel to me but Mongrel and Sandwich raving about them perked my interest. But I'm definitely selling some other sets before I get any more!
    Mongrel in particular has alot credibility here because he doesn't just compare heads, he switches out shafts. To compare heads without considering shafts is only looking at part of the picture. Mongrel then is like a food critic but for golf equipment.

But I still refuse to go MX.
    GR lives...

Stop it, I'm not getting MX irons. It would be like getting a Ferrari with an electric motor.
    Go to Roger Dunn and tell 'em to fix you up with a set of Eye 2s. Tell 'em FD sent ya' and you'll get the automatic 10% discount.

One of the most beautiful forged blade heads ever made. MP 14's. Cheaper than any of the others. Traditional lofts for real players. Softest impact of anything I've ever hit. Range balls feel like the original Pro V 1's, not the current rock models.

One of the most beautiful forged blade heads ever made. MP 14's. Cheaper than any of the others. Traditional lofts for real players. Softest impact of anything I've ever hit. Range balls feel like the original Pro V 1's, not the current rock models.

What if I'm not playing or practicing very much. Still cool?
    GR lives...

What if I'm not playing or practicing very much. Still cool?
    You are younger than me and play 100 times as much as I've been for a decade. But I find time to hit a fair number of balls and in the east coast fall and winter will hit 100-200 on weekends. For the past month I've been hitting MP 14 8 through wedge and MX 23 4 through 7 since I don't have any MX short irons yet. My yardage with the MP 14's is less than with my Tit 755's primarily due to lofts. The 14 short irons feel 100 times better than the 755's which are forged but with harder stainless steel. Now the MX 23's are GFF but with a harder carbon steel than most if not all MP's. This doesnt bother me because I've found that when I thin a shot with the MX's, I only lose maybe 10 yards. I've never hit anything so forgiving on the thins. Fats are fats and I've been working on the swing to eliminate them. I have Dynalite Gold SL's S300 in the MP 14's and hit them very high. The MX 23's have Dynalite Gold R300's and the trajectory is noticeably lower and more boring. The only problem with this combo is a big distance gap between the MP 14 8 iron and the MX 23 7 iron. I hit the 8 maybe 145-150 and the 7 155-170 carry depending on wind and how I hit it. Now I haven't played with this combo yet but think I'd rather live with the gap than hit half my approaches fat or thin like before. I've only hit the 32's off mats but the 14's feel a good bit softer to me. If I get bored, I may pull the Dynalite Gold R300's out of the MX's and put them in the 14's. That may just be perfect for me. You can pick up a decent set of 14's for around $100. The short irons will undoubtedly have browned out sweet spots but that doesn't bother me since a little brillo pad and water followed by a good drying will make them presentable. My set is well worn and I can still spin a Srixon Z-Star back a foot or so with a 7 iron from 150 on a dry green. Not bad for the Medicare set.

Do the KBS tour shafts really feel better than the DG S300s, Lo? I can't hardly believe they make that much difference. I may have to try some out soon . . . .

Do the KBS tour shafts really feel better than the DG S300s, Lo? I can't hardly believe they make that much difference. I may have to try some out soon . . . .
    It's clearly a matter of opinion. When I bought the 58s I lamented that there was no opportunity to try out other shafts at the discounted price but HB assured me that the KBS shaft was a POS compared to S300.

See post # 13 & 18

http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=16694

Now where the f#ck am I?

It's clearly a matter of opinion. When I bought the 58s I lamented that there was no opportunity to try out other shafts at the discounted price but HB assured me that the KBS shaft was a POS compared to S300.

See post # 13 & 18

http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=16694
    I don't like KBS shafts either. I've tried them in different flexes and weights and none of them perform as well as the old dynamic golds.

More like a Bentley with a twin turbo 650 horsepower, and Paris Hilton spread out in the seat

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    More like a Bentley with a twin turbo 650 horsepower, and Paris Hilton spread out in the seat
    With that seat cover, they'd play too loose.

By a mile. After using them for several years, everything else seems dead. That said, I've figured out they work alot better for those who deloft at impact than those who don't. They were designed pursuant to the whims of Mickelson and Els so not all recreational golfers are going to realize their benefits.
    GR lives...

By a mile. After using them for several years, everything else seems dead. That said, I've figured out they work alot better for those who deloft at impact than those who don't. They were designed pursuant to the whims of Mickelson and Els so not all recreational golfers are going to realize their benefits.
    I would agree. I'd never go back to the DG's.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    I would agree. I'd never go back to the DG's.
    A friend of mine has them in a set of AP2s but he's only a 12 handicap, not a big hitter and certainly doesn't deloft at impact. But he seems to like them a lot.

Now where the f#ck am I?

The specs of the KBS shafts seem to indicate that they have a bit lower flex point and slightly softer tip profile than the Dynamic Golds. That could account for the dead feeling of other steel shafts. Do they feel this way to you?

The specs of the KBS shafts seem to indicate that they have a bit lower flex point and slightly softer tip profile than the Dynamic Golds. That could account for the dead feeling of other steel shafts. Do they feel this way to you?
    No, it seems as though they have a mid kick-point. But they have a very distinctive feel that goes beyond weight and bend profile. I'm more aware of the clubhead and what it's doing than other shafts and they perform the same throughout the set, but that still doesn't really describe it. Mine are after-market, I have no idea whether the OEM KBS shafts are the same.
    GR lives...

Of the latest models I suggest you demo the 59s, 69s and 63s.

The earlier generation was the 58s, 68s and 62s.

You won't go wrong with any of these. If you want blades in the short irons a mixed set of 62/63s or 58/59s in say the 3-5/6 and 68/69s in the 6/7-PW would be the way to go.

But if you decide to go with the full set of 62/63 or 58/59 in 3-PW you can't go wrong either.

I'm only kidding about the MP-58s. I'm liking them a lot and find them fairly comparable to the MP-32s. Similar size and shape at address and feel great.
    You're right, I need to demo some of these models and then just find the best deal I can.
    GR lives...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TaylorMade-3...item2a15944c78

Grab them. You won't regret it. Good shafts too.

Grab them. You won't regret it. Good shafts too.
    They may be good sticks but seven of the grips are handle coverings for gardening implements.

They may be good sticks but seven of the grips are handle coverings for gardening implements.
    That is sooooooooo easy to fix.

What do you want for 80 bucks? Top quality heads and shafts as well as good grips.

What do you want for 80 bucks? Top quality heads and shafts as well as good grips.
    I think Mongrel has a good point because if you spend $80 on a set of used clubs and all of the grips need to be replaced, that's an additional $40 to $50 you'll need to spend on grips.

I had one of those Ebay purchases that every club ho loves the other day. I found a set of Ping Eye 2 BeCu blue dots on Ebay but the description was limited and the photos were pretty fuzzy. I paid $175 for them plus $18 shipping and they came in great shape with brand new Ping grips on all of them. It's grip you see on their latest iron offerings. If I were to buy those grips new they would cost me $6.99 each. That ain't chicken feed.

If I were to buy those grips new they would cost me $6.99 each. That ain't chicken feed.

Sir, this seems like a strange lament because, with all respect, you seem to purchase a lot of iron sets. How many Eye2's do you own now? Did you short Enron around May of '01?

Quote Originally Posted by 24putts View Post
    Sir, this seems like a strange lament because, with all respect, you seem to purchase a lot of iron sets. How many Eye2's do you own now? Did you short Enron around May of '01?
    I may purchase a lot of irons sets but I'm very particular about what I will purchase and always look for really good deals. If I can't negotiate what I want then I'll walk away. Also, I will only buy a set of clubs if I think I can turn them for a profit or at least break even when I resell them. I turn the clubs over pretty quickly. For instance, I currently have 5 sets of irons:

Ping Eye 2+ (like new). I paid $118 and can probably sell for $225.

Taylormade Tour Burner Irons. Paid $169 and can sell for $225.

Ping Eye 2+ BeCu. Paid $195 and can sell for $275.

Titleist 990. I'm keeping these and playing them. I got them for $119 at Golf Galaxy.

TourStage Irons> I paid $129. Not sure what I can sell them for. I didn't like them when I hit them on the couse.

That's all I've got right now so, as you can see, I don't collect clubs. But I love trying them out!!!

I may purchase a lot of irons sets but I'm very particular about what I will purchase and always look for really good deals. If I can't negotiate what I want then I'll walk away. Also, I will only buy a set of clubs if I think I can turn them for a profit or at least break even when I resell them. I turn the clubs over pretty quickly. For instance, I currently have 5 sets of irons:

Taylormade Tour Burner Irons. Paid $169 and can sell for $225.

Titleist 990. I'm keeping these and playing them. I got them for $119 at Golf Galaxy.

TourStage Irons> I paid $129. Not sure what I can sell them for. I didn't like them when I hit them on the couse.

That's all I've got right now so, as you can see, I don't collect clubs. But I love trying them out!!!
    My local Golf Galaxy has had a set of Tit 990's on the rack for over a month at $61. DG S300 shafts. No flaws on clubs or shafts. 3-PW. I hit the PW and 7 hoping they'd feel good so I could take them home. They were the nastiest, harshest feeling irons I've ever hit. Then the next weekend they had a nice looking set of Ping S59's. I really liked the small heads and head shape. These felt even harsher than the 990's. If those S59's were forged from some really mild carbon steel, they'd be beauts. Talk about worn grips knocking down prices...I've got a set of Mizuno MX 20's
    coming in the mail that were $69. Shafts are 2" over with worn grips. Me and my tube cutter will take care of the shafts and I've been stockpiling on-sale grips from the Golf Galaxie.

irons:

Are there really that many people out there so foolish and frivolous with their hard earned cash??? No wonder there is a global financial crisis.

Shame on you for taking money from these poor gullible fools. Somebody needs to protect them from themselves and schisters like you. You should hand them on for their true inherent worth, which must be about $20-$25 if you took them to a scrap metal merchant.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Mongrel, sometimes when you hit an iron indoors it feels horrible. I can tell you that the Titleist 990 iron is the best feeling iron I've ever hit. It's a small head so when you miss it you'll feel it and lose substantial distance. However, when hit well it feels incredible and goes forever. It's one of the best irons I've ever played.

The S59 shouldn't feel harsh at all. I think you swing was off that day.
    If he's comparing to his MP14s than they will feel hard/harsh. I hit them side by side with MP62s and although the Pings felt like a solid club they were very hard compared to the softer forged Mizunos.

Now where the f#ck am I?

My local Golf Galaxy has had a set of Tit 990's on the rack for over a month at $61. DG S300 shafts. No flaws on clubs or shafts. 3-PW. I hit the PW and 7 hoping they'd feel good so I could take them home. They were the nastiest, harshest feeling irons I've ever hit. Then the next weekend they had a nice looking set of Ping S59's. I really liked the small heads and head shape. These felt even harsher than the 990's. If those S59's were forged from some really mild carbon steel, they'd be beauts. Talk about worn grips knocking down prices...I've got a set of Mizuno MX 20's
    coming in the mail that were $69. Shafts are 2" over with worn grips. Me and my tube cutter will take care of the shafts and I've been stockpiling on-sale grips from the Golf Galaxie.
    Mongrel, sometimes when you hit an iron indoors it feels horrible. I can tell you that the Titleist 990 iron is the best feeling iron I've ever hit. It's a small head so when you miss it you'll feel it and lose substantial distance. However, when hit well it feels incredible and goes forever. It's one of the best irons I've ever played.

My swing was grooved to go out and break 80 since I'd just come from the mat range and hit about 80 balls. Both the 990's and S59's had Dynamic Gold S300 shafts. Now I used to use those shafts and have hit lots of used irons in that store fitted with them from MP 60's, MP this and MP that and Tit MB 690's and 695's and CB 690's, 695's, CB this and that etc. In other words, I am familiar with this shaft and, of course, all these used clubs feature that shaft in Stiff flex which is probably a major contributing factor leading to their display in a store rather than in their former owners' bags. I.E, they can't hit them so good anymore because they can't load the shafts properly, if they ever could. Although I hate hitting off rubber mats, I can put a pretty good delofting strike even off a mat and can tell, at least for my own sake, what feels like at least semi-thawed margerine to genuine room temp butter and what feels like Amy Winehouse's petrified labiae. The 990's and the S59's are way down the list towards the feeling I remember when hitting a water-soaked Top Flite with a late 1950's MacGregor two iron. Now I've hit a bunch of Eye 2's and they all felt much better than those S59's. Never hit what Shrek, McDowell and Westwood use but imaqine with shafts less than 7.8 they would feel better than those S59's. If I played nothing but ultra lush over-watered under-played mega-bucks private courses they would probably be playable for me. They sure looked nice as did the 990's. If the 990 heads were forged, I'd have snatched them up and found shafts that suite me.

My swing was grooved to go out and break 80 since I'd just come from the mat range and hit about 80 balls. Both the 990's and S59's had Dynamic Gold S300 shafts. Now I used to use those shafts and have hit lots of used irons in that store fitted with them from MP 60's, MP this and MP that and Tit MB 690's and 695's and CB 690's, 695's, CB this and that etc. In other words, I am familiar with this shaft and, of course, all these used clubs feature that shaft in Stiff flex which is probably a major contributing factor leading to their display in a store rather than in their former owners' bags. I.E, they can't hit them so good anymore because they can't load the shafts properly, if they ever could. Although I hate hitting off rubber mats, I can put a pretty good delofting strike even off a mat and can tell, at least for my own sake, what feels like at least semi-thawed margerine to genuine room temp butter and what feels like Amy Winehouse's petrified labiae. The 990's and the S59's are way down the list towards the feeling I remember when hitting a water-soaked Top Flite with a late 1950's MacGregor two iron. Now I've hit a bunch of Eye 2's and they all felt much better than those S59's. Never hit what Shrek, McDowell and Westwood use but imaqine with shafts less than 7.8 they would feel better than those S59's. If I played nothing but ultra lush over-watered under-played mega-bucks private courses they would probably be playable for me. They sure looked nice as did the 990's. If the 990 heads were forged, I'd have snatched them up and found shafts that suite me.
    For whatever reason, the Dynamic Gold S300 in the Titleist 990 is perfectly balanced for me and feels like it's the perfect flex. However, I've tried other clubs with DGS 300 and they felt too stiff.

Well, I'm off to the range to try out the Mizuno Comp Ez irons I received today.

Thread Information