|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

"Seven Days in Utopia", or Robert Duvall deserves a punch in the neck

I am placing this discussion in the non-golf discussion as this particular movie had absolutley nothing to do with golf.

So I see this movie pop up in my Netflix "Things you may be interested in" que and decided to watch it.

I would rather take my nice Hogan Apex blades and be forced to play 18 holes off a parking lot instead of watch this movie again.

It was basically a 2hr Callaway infomercial. I have never seen worse product placement in a movie.

I actually would rather watch the movie "Mac and Me" instead of watch this again.

There were so many things wrong with this movie I just can't go into it. The worse was KJ Choi playing the part of a 4time Masters champion. WTF.

If you have not seen it do yourself a favor and just watch your already used up VHS copy of "Caddyshack". You will thank me later.
    "Golf is such an easy game, even a human can do it."
    -Dr. Zaius-

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMcG View Post
    I am placing this discussion in the non-golf discussion as this particular movie had absolutley nothing to do with golf.

So I see this movie pop up in my Netflix "Things you may be interested in" que and decided to watch it.

I would rather take my nice Hogan Apex blades and be forced to play 18 holes off a parking lot instead of watch this movie again.

It was basically a 2hr Callaway infomercial. I have never seen worse product placement in a movie.

I actually would rather watch the movie "Mac and Me" instead of watch this again.

There were so many things wrong with this movie I just can't go into it. The worse was KJ Choi playing the part of a 4time Masters champion. WTF.

If you have not seen it do yourself a favor and just watch your already used up VHS copy of "Caddyshack". You will thank me later.
    I honestly had never heard of that movie before your posting. I don't think there has been one single serious golf movie that I've ever liked. I didn't like Bagger Vance, the greatest game every played, Tin Cup, Marilyn Chambers gets a hole in one, or any of the others.

The only golf movies I can watch are Caddyshack and Happy Gilmore.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I honestly had never heard of that movie before your posting. I don't think there has been one single serious golf movie that I've ever liked. I didn't like Bagger Vance, the greatest game every played, Tin Cup, Marilyn Chambers gets a hole in one, or any of the others.

The only golf movies I can watch are Caddyshack and Happy Gilmore.
    I couldn't sit through Bagger Vance. I saw Damon swing and that was all for me.

Tin Cup is a veritable masterpiece compared to Seven Days. Callaway must have paid big bucks to have Robert Duvall to be in that thing.

I'm going to have to watch Tin Cup and Caddyshack tonight to get the awful taste of this movie out of my brain.

Knowing that its terrible you can have some fun with it. The golf scenes are so bad in that the golf balls bouncing on the greens look like the old timey bouncing balls over song lyrics they used to have in cartoons. I think the director had his 12 yrs old son do the editing for those shots.
    -Dr. Zaius-

I couldn't sit through Bagger Vance. I saw Damon swing and that was all for me.

Tin Cup is a veritable masterpiece compared to Seven Days. Callaway must have paid big bucks to have Robert Duvall to be in that thing.

I'm going to have to watch Tin Cup and Caddyshack tonight to get the awful taste of this movie out of my brain.

Knowing that its terrible you can have some fun with it. The golf scenes are so bad in that the golf balls bouncing on the greens look like the old timey bouncing balls over song lyrics they used to have in cartoons. I think the director had his 12 yrs old son do the editing for those shots.
    That was my issue of both Tin Cup and Bagger Vance. As soon as I saw Costner swing a club I could tell he couldn't break 85. From there on it was impossible to get into the movie. Damon's swing was even worse.

The sexiest swing was Halle Berry in Swordfish. I'd like to help her shuffle her holy cards.

I saw a tv special on "the making of The Greatest Game Ever Played" and Bill Paxton who directed it was babbling about how cool the computer generated ariel shots of the ball were. They showed them and the ball spun forward with top spin. I don't know why, but it got on my nerves that a million dollar Hollywood movie couldn't do basic research. The movie sucked also.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Seven Days sounded like one of those "made for CD" Christian flicks, so I didn't bother watching it.

Tin Cup was a great movie and "The Greatest Game Ever Played" was simply awesome. Sometimes you guys have to use a little imagination in your movie watching.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer View Post
    I saw a tv special on "the making of The Greatest Game Ever Played" and Bill Paxton who directed it was babbling about how cool the computer generated ariel shots of the ball were. They showed them and the ball spun forward with top spin. I don't know why, but it got on my nerves that a million dollar Hollywood movie couldn't do basic research. The movie sucked also.

Oh yeah, gotta love those topspin shots. Or how about when they would lose a hole then show them teeing off first on the next one. That made me pull up my theatre seat and toss it a-la Bobby Knight across the theatre.
    -Dr. Zaius-

Oh yeah, gotta love those topspin shots. Or how about when they would lose a hole then show them teeing off first on the next one. That made me pull up my theatre seat and toss it a-la Bobby Knight across the theatre.
    In Bagger Vance, the guy who played Bobby Jones was obviously a good golfer but he looked nothing like Bobby Jones.

It's interesting but the one trait all of these actors share that spells "hack" is the follow thru. They never finish with the hands high. Instead, they slap at the ball and the shaft bounces off their shoulder.

The best actor playing a tour pro was Shooter McGavin. He also did some great acting as Thelma's husband in Thelma & Louise.

Oh, that reminds me. He was also in a movie with Charlie Sheen called "Aces". Great flick and could be considered a cult movie. Sheen plays this really nice guy who is getting married and will never cheat. Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    Tin Cup was a great movie and "The Greatest Game Ever Played" was simply awesome. Sometimes you guys have to use a little imagination in your movie watching.
    I'm going to go ahead and assume that you liked "Waterworld" and "Battlefield Earth."
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

I'm going to go ahead and assume that you liked "Waterworld" and "Battlefield Earth."

LOL.....burn!!!
    -Dr. Zaius-

That was my issue of both Tin Cup and Bagger Vance. As soon as I saw Costner swing a club I could tell he couldn't break 85. From there on it was impossible to get into the movie. Damon's swing was even worse.

The sexiest swing was Halle Berry in Swordfish. I'd like to help her shuffle her holy cards.
    Costner and Damon were cetainly no D'ahnunzio. His swing was all class, especially coupled with the wide collared unbuttoned purple poly dress shirt telling Noonan "Good luck arsehole" on the first tee. They just dont make golf movies any more.

On a similar subject what are people's thoughts on baseball movies? I really dig The Natural.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    Costner and Damon were cetainly no D'ahnunzio. His swing was all class, especially coupled with the wide collared unbuttoned purple poly dress shirt telling Noonan "Good luck arsehole" on the first tee. They just dont make golf movies any more.

On a similar subject what are people's thoughts on baseball movies? I really dig The Natural.
    I love baseball movies. They're so unpredictable. Amazingly they all seem to be about a low down bunch of no hopers and misfits who are down on their luck at the bottom of their league and they take on a coach who is grumpy and controversial and something of an outcast amongst his peers. Against all the odds he takes his team of misfits to the top of the league and the grand final. This is where it gets really exciting as you just never know how the final will turn out. You just hope one of them will hit a home run in the final innings with the bases loaded to win the championship and often (amazingly) they do. But you just never know .
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Major League is the Caddyshack of baseball movies. The original Bad News Bears is also a classic. Something about 10 year olds cursing and drinking always makes me laugh.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

One of my all time favorites. Great movie. I found a copy of the book on a clearance rack years ago. Totally different from the movie. In the book, he accepts the bribe money to throw the big game, changes his mind, but strikes out nonetheless, then refuses to take the bribe money, then gets ratted out for throwing the game. The story ends with a kid coming up to him in the street and saying, "Say it ain't so, Roy!" and Roy breaks down in a Bubba Watson style sob. Pisser, huh? For once, I'm glad they gave the movie adaptation the feel-good Hollywood treatment.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    I love baseball movies. They're so unpredictable. Amazingly they all seem to be about a low down bunch of no hopers and misfits who are down on their luck at the bottom of their league and they take on a coach who is grumpy and controversial and something of an outcast amongst his peers. Against all the odds he takes his team of misfits to the top of the league and the grand final. This is where it gets really exciting as you just never know how the final will turn out. You just hope one of them will hit a home run in the final innings with the bases loaded to win the championship and often (amazingly) they do. But you just never know .
    I imagine for the sake of brevity you omitted the part about the home run not only winning the game but preventing a greedy, evil guy from taking over the team. And of course, the home run doesn't just clear the fence, it sends the entire eastern seaboard into a blackout. And Kim Basinger looks incredibly f.uckable in it.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    And Kim Basinger looks incredibly f.uckable in it.
    She has never looked better than in that movie. The same can be said for Wilford Brimley.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

She has never looked better than in that movie. The same can be said for Wilford Brimley.
    I thought she looked pretty good in that movie 9 1/2 Weeks. I guess she's a psycho in real life.

I thought Cameron Diaz looked amazing in The Mask. I remember seeing her for the first time ever and thinking "Wow, who is that?"

I thought she looked pretty good in that movie 9 1/2 Weeks. I guess she's a psycho in real life.

I thought Cameron Diaz looked amazing in The Mask. I remember seeing her for the first time ever and thinking "Wow, who is that?"
    Bassinger was smoking hot in Batman.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

You know you're right about Wilford Brimley in fact the bad guys spent the whole movie trying to f.uck him. Robert Towne got paid $10M for the script which was big money back then. He managed to parlay his friendship with Jack Nicholson into some nice winnings.

For me Wilford Brimley lost his luster when he started with the laxative commercials. Too much bad imagery for me with him resolving his constipation. He seems like the kind of guy who'd try and have a conversation with somebody through the door while he was crapping. A little concentration and silence and he might have done ok without the laxatives.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    You know you're right about Wilford Brimley in fact the bad guys spent the whole movie trying to f.uck him. Robert Towne got paid $10M for the script which was big money back then. He managed to parlay his friendship with Jack Nicholson into some nice winnings.

For me Wilford Brimley lost his luster when he started with the laxative commercials. Too much bad imagery for me with him resolving his constipation. He seems like the kind of guy who'd try and have a conversation with somebody through the door while he was crapping. A little concentration and silence and he might have done ok without the laxatives.
    Wilford Brimley always looks upset about something. He had a good line in The Firm, though: Not just screwing, Mitch. All sorts of intimate acts, oral and whatnot, that can be particularly hard for a trusting wife to forgive and IMPOSSIBLE to forget.

Thread Information