|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

How do we like our putters?

Offset, onset, or shaft-aligned?

I hate all putters in general, but most are offset and I can't play offset putters at all. I think that my hickory shafted Calamity Jane is the only putter I can play that's just a little bit offset.

I like forward face progression (onset) putters at address for the nice clean look, but I don't putt so well with those, either.

My preference is shaft-aligned putters, which leaves out some of the most popular putters ever made. I think it's because I can't trust a naturally curved putting stroke and try, with minimal success, to make a straight piston one.

What do you like?

I currently have an offset heal toe weighted Cameron. I actually prefer blade putters but I sold all of mine when going through a fit of ebay selling. Whish I never did that.

Now I want to find an 8802 or something similar, but all the collector idiots keep driving them out of my price range.
    "Golf is such an easy game, even a human can do it."
    -Dr. Zaius-

I can only use face balanced mallets, preferably centre shafted.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Right now I am at War with all putters in my possession. I played 18 holes earlier today. First round since last August. The course aerated their greens last week and the Dufus In Charge decided to cut them down to the nubbins so that not only would they roll around 12.5 but the aeration holes would ensure that any putts would be deflected this way and that and back again. I hit about half the greens in regulation which is real good for me and three and four putted every one. I know its not the putter's fault and I will cool down by tomorrow morning. I am playing another tourney at a different course this coming Saturday but a different flat stick will be in my bag. If that one fails me, I have an old Titleist Tour 8802 clone that I used for years and the chromed face is loaded with big corroded pits. I was going to have it milled but think I may just coat the face with the new 30/60 black tour epoxy I just scored and sand it smooth when it dries. My redneck soft putter face insert.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Right now I am at War with all putters in my possession.

Congratulations, mongrel!!!

I assume by the way you worded that that sometimes you're not.

I should be so lucky. I putted like a three-legged basset hound today, and have since the snow melted.

These are the allies that are all waging war against me at once. They fill up a huge old Hogan Staff bag.

Acushnet Bullseye Flange
    Bobby Jones Calamity Jane
    Carbite ZG
    Dandy Tour Blade
    Frankly Frog Center Shaft
    Ping Zero 2
    Ram Zebra
    Ray Cook Gyro II
    Rife Trinidad
    Scotty Cameron Laguna Mid-Slant
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6
    SeeMore FGP
    Spalding MicroGroove Tour Flange
    Wilson 8883 Blk
    Yes! Caroline
    Yes! Tracy
    Yes! Victoria II

They all suck. Did you read what I said? All of them!

Right now I am putting with a Ping Pal 4 which has a 4 o'clock toe hang. I have tried face balanced putters of every description and found that even with a SBST stroke I putt slightly better with the Ping. This is my last hope for a normal putter, otherwise I am going to the broomstick. Tried the belly, doesn't work for me. Of all the golf equipment I love to ho'; putters I hate with a passion.

Up until this last week, my putting had been terrible. Out of desperation I put the YES Callie and Taylormade Ghost putters in the closet and brought out an old A3-m Heavy Putter I bought about 6 years ago. For some reason, it was just what I needed. The putter is so heavy it makes hitting the ball square a cinch. Once I got the distance down, putts started falling.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Anyone play the MacGregor Hoylake. I know its a golfsmith brand now, but it looks pretty nice.
    "Golf is such an easy game, even a human can do it."
    -Dr. Zaius-

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    Up until this last week, my putting had been terrible. Out of desperation I put the YES Callie and Taylormade Ghost putters in the closet and brought out an old A3-m Heavy Putter I bought about 6 years ago. For some reason, it was just what I needed. The putter is so heavy it makes hitting the ball square a cinch. Once I got the distance down, putts started falling.
    Funny that as an Italian guy, I haven't allowed a Boccieri Heavy Putter to leave me out to die yet. How did I deprive that one of the fun of killing me? The L3-m is only a half-shaft offset. Maybe I should give that one a try.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Congratulations, mongrel!!!

I assume by the way you worded that that sometimes you're not.

I should be so lucky. I putted like a three-legged basset hound today, and have since the snow melted.

These are the allies that are all waging war against me at once. They fill up a huge old Hogan Staff bag.

Acushnet Bullseye Flange
    Bobby Jones Calamity Jane
    Carbite ZG
    Dandy Tour Blade
    Frankly Frog Center Shaft
    Ping Zero 2
    Ram Zebra
    Ray Cook Gyro II
    Rife Trinidad
    Scotty Cameron Laguna Mid-Slant
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6
    SeeMore FGP
    Spalding MicroGroove Tour Flange
    Wilson 8883 Blk
    Yes! Caroline
    Yes! Tracy
    Yes! Victoria II

They all suck. Did you read what I said? All of them!

That's way too many putters except for a golf store. If none of them are doing the job, you might want to try putting with the leading edge of one of your wedges. Or a low-lofted hybrid. Or three wood. I sometimes practice putting with those clubs and should have yesterday. Hell, I should have chipped with my low-bounce 52* wedge on those spiked greens. Could not have turned out any worse. Try one of those heavy putters. I have one putter that I loaded up with sand down the shaft and about 100 grams of lead in the butt end. Sometimes it works. Sometime it doesn't. If I have it in my car and get stuck in the snow, I could always break the shaft and dump the sand next to the tires for traction.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

I've got 2 at the moment, and they are very different. One is an Odyssey bat-signal mallet, the other is a Bettinardi offset Anser style. I should favor the Anser because I'm more of a gate putter than SBST, but my alignment is worse with the Anser. I just make more putts with the mallet, but I will break out the Betty to switch it up every once in a while. If only to make the mallet seem easier.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

My original RAM Zebra mallet stays in my bag forever, I am used to it so no need to change... Putting is all about feel, and I feel very comfortable with it

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    That's way too many putters except for a golf store. If none of them are doing the job, you might want to try putting with the leading edge of one of your wedges. Or a low-lofted hybrid. Or three wood. I sometimes practice putting with those clubs and should have yesterday. Hell, I should have chipped with my low-bounce 52* wedge on those spiked greens. Could not have turned out any worse. Try one of those heavy putters. I have one putter that I loaded up with sand down the shaft and about 100 grams of lead in the butt end. Sometimes it works. Sometime it doesn't. If I have it in my car and get stuck in the snow, I could always break the shaft and dump the sand next to the tires for traction.
    I have resorted to using the leading edge of my wedge a few times; did not putt any worse, but not any better either.

In a bit of a role reversal for my Ping Pal, I used it in place of my wedge this past week when I was too lazy to walk to my bag for my wedge after discovering my ball in the deep green side rough just outside the fringe; flipped it side ways, and used the toe to strike the ball with a putting stroke. The putter head slipped right through the rough like a canoe though the reeds; ball popped out landed on the fringe continued into the cup for a bird. I've used this method almost exclusively this week, up to 3-4 feet off the fringe in the rough with mostly great results. I would be elated if I could get these results when I have a putt on the green:-(

I used a Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport 2 yesterday and I was hitting it past the hole all day long. In fact, too far past the whole and I had four (4) 3-putts. Anyway, I put it on Ebay last night. I don't like the feel of Scotty Camerons.

I normally play a Ping Ally 2 putter. It's got just a slight bit of offset and is easy to align.

I also like face-ballanced putters that are center shafted with virtually no offset. One putter in particular, the Ping 1/2 Wack-e center shafted, is one that I may purchase. It feels fantastic and very easy to align.

I hate putters that make any kind of sound when hit.

Thread Information