|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Time to start hoing.

Looking at a set of Bridgestone GC Mids. Graphite, made by adila shafts stiff. Want to try a graphite shaft and even tho they are cast they intrigue me.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135 View Post
    Looking at a set of Bridgestone GC Mids. Graphite, made by adila shafts stiff. Want to try a graphite shaft and even tho they are cast they intrigue me.
    The ho bug is also in Ohio. Mild case for me....so far Ive only ho'd a new driver....Not interested in irons, wedges, hybrid, or putter. I like my 3wood, but dont love it. Gets the job done so think it might be safe, unless I can find a cheap g20 3 wood. Also might ho an old Cally x hot just to try (Ive heard they are insane long off the T and I only use my 3wood off the T)......

I think a big mistake can be made by assuming that a stiff flex graphite iron shaft is easier to hit than a steel iron shaft. I just put stiff graphites in my irons and now wish maybe that I had gone regular flex or not tipped them so much. If the those Bridgestones have shafts that are substantially lighter than the steel you're used to playing, your club speed is going to go up. Maybe substantially.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I think a big mistake can be made by assuming that a stiff flex graphite iron shaft is easier to hit than a steel iron shaft. I just put stiff graphites in my irons and now wish maybe that I had gone regular flex or not tipped them so much. If the those Bridgestones have shafts that are substantially lighter than the steel you're used to playing, your club speed is going to go up. Maybe substantially.
    Agreed. I remember back in 1995 I thought I had found the deal of the century. Setting: Sunday morning. I'm out getting a bagel and coffee. I see signs for a garage sale which I follow until I found the designated house. Inside the garage is a set of Ping Eye 2+ BeCu irons with these bright fire engine red Carbon Fiber Stiff shats. I got 3-PW, SW & LW for $200 and they were in great condition. Took them to the range and they felt like the shaft was made of rebar. The 9 iron went 100 yards.

Graphite iron shafts always feel better on the range than on the course. Also, if you have a quick swing forget about it.

New Taylormade Rocketbladez

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Agreed. I remember back in 1995 I thought I had found the deal of the century. Setting: Sunday morning. I'm out getting a bagel and coffee. I see signs for a garage sale which I follow until I found the designated house. Inside the garage is a set of Ping Eye 2+ BeCu irons with these bright fire engine red Carbon Fiber Stiff shats. I got 3-PW, SW & LW for $200 and they were in great condition. Took them to the range and they felt like the shaft was made of rebar. The 9 iron went 100 yards.

Graphite iron shafts always feel better on the range than on the course. Also, if you have a quick swing forget about it.
    On another note, check out the new Taylormade Rocketbladez and Rocketbladez Tour irons:

http://taylormadegolf.com/

On another note, check out the new Taylormade Rocketbladez and Rocketbladez Tour irons:

Interesting. Wasn't the "speed slot" the reason they bought adams out?

They're obviously not blades in this universe or any other, but then they aren't calling them that they're calling them "bladez" which was inspired by Juan Valdez. Obviously they're targeting this product towards the emerging Mexican immigrant golf segment I addressed in another thread.

See, Mexicans are overrunning everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a German View Post
    They're obviously not blades in this universe or any other, but then they aren't calling them that they're calling them "bladez" which was inspired by Juan Valdez. Obviously they're targeting this product towards the emerging Mexican immigrant golf segment I addressed in another thread.

See, Mexicans are overrunning everything.
    Did you see this page?
    http://taylormadegolf.com/rocketblad...ritor-distance

You can compare the bladez to another manufactures club(s). As you can imagine, none of the comparable are blades. They are all SGI's.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    Did you see this page?

You can compare the bladez to another manufactures club(s). As you can imagine, none of the comparable are blades. They are all SGI's.
    Wow, it has real polymers! Gee whilakers!!! Christ, the polish I use on my car has real polymers. BTW, Mexicans love working on their cars. A coincidence? I think not.

So with the Mexican link confirmed, why would I or any of them travel to Kansas for a demo? I'm seeing right through that ploy, obviously they don't demo well. Yesterday Juan Valdez and his coffee, today Julio Bladez and his SGI irons.

Wow, it has real polymers! Gee whilakers!!! Christ, the polish I use on my car has real polymers. BTW, Mexicans love working on their cars. A coincidence? I think not.

So with the Mexican link confirmed, why would I or any of them travel to Kansas for a demo? I'm seeing right through that ploy, obviously they don't demo well. Yesterday Juan Valdez and his coffee, today Julio Bladez and his SGI irons.
    Will this mean we should expect burritos and tecate on the service carts served by a cute latina? I'm all for that. Especially if she has a speed slot.

Will this mean we should expect burritos and tecate on the service carts served by a cute latina? I'm all for that. Especially if she has a speed slot.
    If da mama ain't got da big hoochy I might be down for that too.

All women have speed slots.

If da mama ain't got da big hoochy I might be down for that too.

All women have speed slots.
    Yah, I should have posted 3 speed slots. I'm a bit slow today.

I had a set of the GC mids when they were clearing them out a few years back. I never played them as it was tthe middle o winter when I got them. They had the Nippon 950 shafts and were nice sticks; shafts were smooth, high launch, and a little soft to flex. Sold them because of the soft to flex shafts. What Aldila model shafts are they?

Mongrel, my experiment with the Penley Stealth iron shafts is going well. They are taper tip so no tipping on the ones I have. They feel and play great with the comp EZ heads. They are stiff, 85 grams, with 2.9 degrees of torque. I would recommend them highly from my perspective (getting older and slower). There is a retailer on the bay that is selling both parallel and tapers new if uou are interested. For the next experiment I found some Penley IMS iron shafts;105 gram, 2.1 torque, in regular. I liked the Aldila NV Pro105 so I am curious about these.

Yes, anytime is good for ho'ing

Quote Originally Posted by JonT View Post

I had a set of the GC mids when they were clearing them out a few years back. I never played them as it was tthe middle o winter when I got them. They had the Nippon 950 shafts and were nice sticks; shafts were smooth, high launch, and a little soft to flex. Sold them because of the soft to flex shafts. What Aldila model shafts are they?

Mongrel, my experiment with the Penley Stealth iron shafts is going well. They are taper tip so no tipping on the ones I have. They feel and play great with the comp EZ heads. They are stiff, 85 grams, with 2.9 degrees of torque. I would recommend them highly from my perspective (getting older and slower). There is a retailer on the bay that is selling both parallel and tapers new if uou are interested. For the next experiment I found some Penley IMS iron shafts;105 gram, 2.1 torque, in regular. I liked the Aldila NV Pro105 so I am curious about these.

Yes, anytime is good for ho'ing
    I went on Ebay and saw those Penley shafts and they look like real good deals. If you can load the shafts. The IROD shafts I put in my MX 20's ended up weighing about 68 grams cut and they may be a bit too light and stiff for me. My problem with Penleys is the ones I've hit have been a bit boardy even in regular flex. Granted those were in fairway woods. With my swing, I want an iron shaft that bends a bit on my first move down so maybe that's a regular or even senior flex. I'll only know it when I feel it.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Now is a good time to ho' on Ebay

For buyers, it's the most wonderful time of the year. For sellers, you'd better drop your prices on your buy it now items pronto. This is the time of year when people hoard money and don't like to spend it. Golf season is pretty much over for most people and the clubs are put back into that little corner of the garage and forgotten. Golf is in hibernation.

Things will open up again sometime in February when that little golf bug bites 'em in the arse. Until then, things will be slow. It's a great time to be a club ho' but not a good time to be a club ho' who's reducing his inventory.

This cannot be disputed.

You guys really should ask a teaching pro (one who is himself a very good golfer) about shafts. He will look at your swing, and if you get past that without taking a series of lessons to fix your fundamentals, he will recommend the type of shafts that compliment your swing.

You don't need stiff shafts unless you are exerting leverage on the club handle in a futile effort to speed the clubhead before impact. That never works. But it does cause casting.

REALLY good golfers preserve their lag until impact, the clubhead accelerating all the way and through--BY GRAVITY, not leverage from the handle. So the only shaft attribute that matters is its weight. More weight=slower clubhead speed at impact.

Any really good golfer can hit a Whippy iron as straight and long as with a standard club shaft. The shaft is 1/4" graphite, can be bent into a "U"

Check it out on www.tempomaster.com.

Larry

For buyers, it's the most wonderful time of the year. For sellers, you'd better drop your prices on your buy it now items pronto. This is the time of year when people hoard money and don't like to spend it. Golf season is pretty much over for most people and the clubs are put back into that little corner of the garage and forgotten. Golf is in hibernation.

Things will open up again sometime in February when that little golf bug bites 'em in the arse. Until then, things will be slow. It's a great time to be a club ho' but not a good time to be a club ho' who's reducing his inventory.

This cannot be disputed.
    You are correct. My Mongrel Index of Leading Club Ho Indicators took a steep dive this past Friday afternoon when I perused the previously-shanked, chopped, thinned and sky'd offerings in the recently opened local Golfsmith. Iron sets appear to have come down substantially. There was a set of Miz Comp EZ's-- 3-PW -- that looked decent and would have looked better had the lazy salesgerbils taken the three minutes' time bite necessary to wash the heads and brush the dried mud out of the grooves and embossed soles. $99. Six months ago that set would have been clean and priced at $199. Other iron sets were priced cheap enough that I was mightily tempted. Even drivers and fairway woods from just a few model years ago were about at Ebay prices. Disappointingly, the Golf Galaxy has halved their used clubs rackage. Either few guys are trading them in or they're not offering anything on the trade. I got bad vibes about that chain remaining open. At least in that location. Competition is always good for the consumer.

You are correct. My Mongrel Index of Leading Club Ho Indicators took a steep dive this past Friday afternoon when I perused the previously-shanked, chopped, thinned and sky'd offerings in the recently opened local Golfsmith. Iron sets appear to have come down substantially. There was a set of Miz Comp EZ's-- 3-PW -- that looked decent and would have looked better had the lazy salesgerbils taken the three minutes' time bite necessary to wash the heads and brush the dried mud out of the grooves and embossed soles. $99. Six months ago that set would have been clean and priced at $199. Other iron sets were priced cheap enough that I was mightily tempted. Even drivers and fairway woods from just a few model years ago were about at Ebay prices. Disappointingly, the Golf Galaxy has halved their used clubs rackage. Either few guys are trading them in or they're not offering anything on the trade. I got bad vibes about that chain remaining open. At least in that location. Competition is always good for the consumer.

I'm telling you, I have no idea how Golfsmith has managed to remain open. Their used club business sucks because they overprice the clubs by 100% over what they should be listed at.

Second, the staff at Golfsmith is minimum wage-type workers who know little about golf equipment.

Thrid, their new stuff is not priced competitively either. Even the new stuff that was last year's model is overpriced.

Finally, all of their stores are located in high traffic shopping centers with other anchors such as Target, Ross, etc. That means they are paying higher than fair market rent as well as a NNN lease.

I thought they'd go under 5 years ago.

PS-I've read several golf discussions criticizing their online business.

I'm telling you, I have no idea how Golfsmith has managed to remain open. Their used club business sucks because they overprice the clubs by 100% over what they should be listed at.

Second, the staff at Golfsmith is minimum wage-type workers who know little about golf equipment.

Thrid, their new stuff is not priced competitively either. Even the new stuff that was last year's model is overpriced.

Finally, all of their stores are located in high traffic shopping centers with other anchors such as Target, Ross, etc. That means they are paying higher than fair market rent as well as a NNN lease.

I thought they'd go under 5 years ago.

PS-I've read several golf discussions criticizing their online business.
    Until a few months ago, they had a used club business on-line but have taken that down. As for their rent, the new local store is in a mature strip that was facelifted a year or two ago but their box which is about 20-25K s.f. had sat vacant for several years. Every retail strip tenant is triple net around here and I imagine that Golfsmith probably got a rate break typical for a national credit tenant. The location is 25% better at least than the Golf Galxy and the Golfsmith seems to have more traffic than any other store in the trade area.

Did you see this page?

I notice they are too chicken sh*t to compare it with the Cleveland CG16, the longest iron in golf.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf View Post
    You guys really should ask a teaching pro (one who is himself a very good golfer) about shafts. He will look at your swing, and if you get past that without taking a series of lessons to fix your fundamentals, he will recommend the type of shafts that compliment your swing.
    Just a short while, you insisted that shafts made no difference...

You don't need stiff shafts unless you are exerting leverage on the club handle in a futile effort to speed the clubhead before impact. That never works. But it does cause casting.
    So then shafts DON'T matter, Larry? Do make up your mind.

REALLY good golfers preserve their lag until impact, the clubhead accelerating all the way and through--BY GRAVITY, not leverage from the handle. So the only shaft attribute that matters is its weight. More weight=slower clubhead speed at impact.
    Do the math, Larry. A club accelerate by gravity alone won't come close to generating enough clubhead speed.

Any really good golfer can hit a Whippy iron as straight and long as with a standard club shaft. The shaft is 1/4" graphite, can be bent into a "U"
    And yet NOT ONE serious golfer uses Whippy shafts in competition...
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    Just a short while, you insisted that shafts made no difference...

So then shafts DON'T matter, Larry? Do make up your mind.

Do the math, Larry. A club accelerate by gravity alone won't come close to generating enough clubhead speed.

And yet NOT ONE serious golfer uses Whippy shafts in competition...
    That's not entirely true. Bobby Jones used very flexible hickory shafts to conquer the Golf World. However, said World was a pretty small one in a diminutive Universe. Now Jamie Sadlowski uses what is probably a quad X long shaft to compete but if you look at the stills, that shaft is bent more than 90 degrees on the way down.

Want to go with the stiff shafts in graphite because I take a decent speed backswing but when I come down its balls to the walls. Just my swing tempo I guess. I can't do a soft swing from 130 out. It is what it is so thats why I"m thinking about stiff stafts. Everybody I golf with figure I have the distance btut they accuracy is my probleml.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Want to go with the stiff shafts in graphite because I take a decent speed backswing but when I come down its balls to the walls. Just my swing tempo I guess. I can't do a soft swing from 130 out. It is what it is so thats why I"m thinking about stiff stafts. Everybody I golf with figure I have the distance btut they accuracy is my probleml.
    What sort of distance do you get?

Because if you're length is already good, I'd say go with stiff steel. The heavier shafts will help you get the accuracy you want.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Because if you're length is already good, I'd say go with stiff steel. The heavier shafts will help you get the accuracy you want.
    Alan, I'm not getting it. What does this post have to do with Larry?

Alan, I'm not getting it. What does this post have to do with Larry?
    Oooops!

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

get150-155 with the 7 iron. The dynalites in my srixons are regular flex so maybe will try a heavier shaft instead of graphite. The bad thing is being in the middle of nowhere here the closest place to try different shafts is 100 miles away. So this will be a hit and miss kind of thing.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

get150-155 with the 7 iron. The dynalites in my srixons are regular flex so maybe will try a heavier shaft instead of graphite. The bad thing is being in the middle of nowhere here the closest place to try different shafts is 100 miles away. So this will be a hit and miss kind of thing.
    I can't imagine what life would be like without several golf shops close by. After the shakes and other withdrawl symptoms I guess I'd have to rely on Ebay and other online sites. Gas is too expensive these days.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Keep an eye out for the comp ez mongrel. Truly a very nice club that led to the mx line.
    I have not played them this year, only cause the good shots keep coming from the forged 300s.
    I would almost send them to you, but its late in the season, and not much golf left. Plus you cant change the shafts I love them, and that would be hard for you.
    They really are not much different then the mx20s you have, minimal offset, a little more narrow sole, not sure, but the hosel might be a tad longer. Something about the dg plus shafts I like. But the rifle shafts in the 300 taylormades are almost perfect for my swing, and lighter.
    I think I am going to pull the gs95 shafts out of my mp 37 set, and put some rifle shafts in them, or maybe kbs tours.
    The only ho,ing I may due is look for a set of those cobra s3 forged pros Op is creaming on, but I will wait for the price to drop a bit, cause nearly every set has s300 stiff, and that will need to go most likely.
    If you ever see a set of maxfli a10 tour ltd combos, grab them. You will love them, and may never play another iron again. They go awfull cheap in the states. Sweetest cast club I have ever swung, and feel better then most any forged club, due to the high nickle in the casting.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

I got a new 60* wedge. My old one was a Cleveland CG12 that I got in 2009. I have CG15's in 52 and 56 that I love. I also really like my CG12 but it is visibly old and I question whether the grooves are still in tact.
    I got a Cleveland 588 forged. I think I hate it. It definitely feels lighter and the clubhead seems bigger. I can't hit my favorite shot with, the low shot from 50 - 80 yards. I feel very comfortable hitting that shot, and it's a pretty common shot for me. This new club just goes high and feels like there isn't much spin on it.
    I love Cleveland wedges, but I think this one is a dog.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    Keep an eye out for the comp ez mongrel. Truly a very nice club that led to the mx line.
    I have not played them this year, only cause the good shots keep coming from the forged 300s.
    I would almost send them to you, but its late in the season, and not much golf left. Plus you cant change the shafts I love them, and that would be hard for you.
    They really are not much different then the mx20s you have, minimal offset, a little more narrow sole, not sure, but the hosel might be a tad longer. Something about the dg plus shafts I like. But the rifle shafts in the 300 taylormades are almost perfect for my swing, and lighter.
    I think I am going to pull the gs95 shafts out of my mp 37 set, and put some rifle shafts in them, or maybe kbs tours.
    The only ho,ing I may due is look for a set of those cobra s3 forged pros Op is creaming on, but I will wait for the price to drop a bit, cause nearly every set has s300 stiff, and that will need to go most likely.
    If you ever see a set of maxfli a10 tour ltd combos, grab them. You will love them, and may never play another iron again. They go awfull cheap in the states. Sweetest cast club I have ever swung, and feel better then most any forged club, due to the high nickle in the casting.
    I like the Mizuno Comp-Ez better than any of the MX line of irons. It appears to have less offset and I love the Dynamic Gold Plus shafts. Great distance, spin and looks. I'm pretty sure I picked up a set for $89 a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    I got a new 60* wedge. My old one was a Cleveland CG12 that I got in 2009. I have CG15's in 52 and 56 that I love. I also really like my CG12 but it is visibly old and I question whether the grooves are still in tact.
    I got a Cleveland 588 forged. I think I hate it. It definitely feels lighter and the clubhead seems bigger. I can't hit my favorite shot with, the low shot from 50 - 80 yards. I feel very comfortable hitting that shot, and it's a pretty common shot for me. This new club just goes high and feels like there isn't much spin on it.
    Interesting. I have a CG12 52° and CG15 56° and love them both too. Don't bag a 60° but I have an older 588 not the new forged model. I assumed the new 'forged' 588 was the creme de la creme of Cleveland wedges but not in your opinion eh?

I think Poe has recently acquired the new 588's and likes them.

So what are you going to do? Persevere with it or go back and get the CG15?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Yep, just one more round scheduled with my group this year. And then I'll start the search for different irons. I am intrigued by the Nippon NS Pro 950 shafts that many describe as weak and whippy for stated flex. This sounds like just what I need but instead of just buying some shaft pulls, I figure the easiest thing to do is buy a set of irons with those shafts already assembled. They seem to have been standard on some Bridgestone and Cobra irons. Game improvement cast heads to be sure. But now I don't care. I just want something that I can draw back, load and come through without digging and put enough zip on the ball to make that special sound, go relatively straight, and hang up in the air for enough seconds to satisfy me. There's a Bridgestone iron called Precept EC603 that looks interesting.

The other stick I will need to find is a better putter than the one I have now. I have made good long putts with it including a 60 footer on a par 3 for bird last Saturday. But I am missing the damn 3-8 foot downhill/side hillers that I used to make with my eyes closed. Of course the greens played recently have been in post-aeration condition but that's still no excuse.

I picked up a Sonartec SS 3.5 14* for way way cheap from a Playitagain with a stiff Penley that I pulled after hitting 3 balls in a field. I really like the look of the head and it seems like it is weighted to lauch ridiculously high which is what I like. I put a Prolite HL reg. shaft in it but have not had occasion to hit that yet. No Taylor R7 CGB Max's to be seen in person.

I kind of wish I still had my Titleist 755 iron heads now. Might glom onto a set if they are cheap enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Interesting. I have a CG12 52° and CG15 56° and love them both too. Don't bag a 60° but I have an older 588 not the new forged model. I assumed the new 'forged' 588 was the creme de la creme of Cleveland wedges but not in your opinion eh?

I think Poe has recently acquired the new 588's and likes them.

So what are you going to do? Persevere with it or go back and get the CG15?
    I didn't play with it last weekend. But that was during a very important interclub comp (where I got destroyed anyway). I'm tentatively playing on Saturday in a regular cash game where I'll bag it. If it is a total dog, I'll take it out and look online for a CG15.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Didn't you know the 588 was designed collaboratively by Wishon and KBS?

I had a good club ho' today. I found a $50 off coupon for any purchase over $250 at Play it Again Sports. I went there today and they had slashed the prices off a bunch of stuff. I might even go back tomorrow with another coupon. This is the loot I got:

Mizuno MP-32 irons, 4-PW, wear on faces, for $69.

Cobra Pro CB forged 3-PW, Project X 5.5, 9/10 cond with brand new golf pride multi-compound black/blue grips for $119. This was the unbelievable purchase. This set used to go for $799. I've posted a photo.

Cleveland TA5 with Sensicore Reg. for $59. These are all original and in 9.5/10 condition.

A couple of other sets I saw were: >
    >Cobra S2 Forged, 4-GW for $149>
    >Callaway Razr Fit Driver 8.5, like new for $169. >
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I found 2 sets with R300 in them. They seem a perfect match for the head. Granted most are S300 but I got a combo and an all cb set with the regulars. Just lucky I guess. They may have been a custom order as they were very upright. Some of the irons in the combo set were 4 degrees up!
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Didn't you know the 588 was designed collaboratively by Wishon and KBS?
    Not to mention it's very popular wedge. They were back oredered for 3 months when released. I didn't like any of the cg's, so maybe we just like different things in our wedges. I always thought the cg's were very "clickey." I hate that in a wedge.

Not to mention it's very popular wedge. They were back oredered for 3 months when released. I didn't like any of the cg's, so maybe we just like different things in our wedges. I always thought the cg's were very "clickey." I hate that in a wedge.
    Really? Even though they are cast, I think they feel pretty soft. I traded out my Vokey SM's because I thought those were hard.
    It's more the lightweight than anything for me. The 588's feel noticeably lighter. I like to feel like gravity is working a pendulum on chips and pitches. For the CG15's, I feel like I can just turn the club then let go. I'm not done with the 588, but it's not looking good at the moment.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I had a good club ho' today. I found a $50 off coupon for any purchase over $250 at Play it Again Sports. I went there today and they had slashed the prices off a bunch of stuff. I might even go back tomorrow with another coupon. This is the loot I got:

Mizuno MP-32 irons, 4-PW, wear on faces, for $69.

Cobra Pro CB forged 3-PW, Project X 5.5, 9/10 cond with brand new golf pride multi-compound black/blue grips for $119. This was the unbelievable purchase. This set used to go for $799. I've posted a photo.

Cleveland TA5 with Sensicore Reg. for $59. These are all original and in 9.5/10 condition.

A couple of other sets I saw were: >
    >Cobra S2 Forged, 4-GW for $149>
    >Callaway Razr Fit Driver 8.5, like new for $169. >
    Cobra CB Forged: MSRP = $1,049, Great score.

Really? Even though they are cast, I think they feel pretty soft. I traded out my Vokey SM's because I thought those were hard.
    It's more the lightweight than anything for me. The 588's feel noticeably lighter. I like to feel like gravity is working a pendulum on chips and pitches. For the CG15's, I feel like I can just turn the club then let go. I'm not done with the 588, but it's not looking good at the moment.
    I agree. I have always thought the Cleveland wedges feel soft despite being forged. I have a forged Callaway X forged wedge and it feels hard to me. Then again being Callaway I should have known it would feel like sh*t. You can take Roger Cleveland out of Cleveland Golf but you can't take the Callaway out of a POS golf club.

What was I thinking? What did I expect?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Red face

I agree. I have always thought the Cleveland wedges feel soft despite being forged. I have a forged Callaway X forged wedge and it feels hard to me. Then again being Callaway I should have known it would feel like sh*t. You can take Roger Cleveland out of Cleveland Golf but you can't take the Callaway out of a POS golf club.

What was I thinking? What did I expect?
    Interesting. I have a few forged Callaway X Forged wedges that I tried this year, and I agree, they feel hard. I am only using the 56 Jaws with the MD grooves at the moment until I can find another non conforming CG15. The Jaws spins the ball well but I like the feel (softer) and performance of Cleveland cast wedges better (have not tried the newer forged 588).

I am puzzled why Callaway forged wedges feel hard as they do; the '09 X Forged irons that I have feel excellent, even with PX shafts, which I have not liked in other irons such as the Tit AP2's.

The best feeling wedge I have experienced was an old Nike Forged that coincided with the original Nike Forged blade irons; it truly was "butter".

Quote Originally Posted by JonT View Post

Interesting. I have a few forged Callaway X Forged wedges that I tried this year, and I agree, they feel hard. I am only using the 56 Jaws with the MD grooves at the moment until I can find another non conforming CG15. The Jaws spins the ball well but I like the feel (softer) and performance of Cleveland cast wedges better (have not tried the newer forged 588).

I am puzzled why Callaway forged wedges feel hard as they do; the '09 X Forged irons that I have feel excellent, even with PX shafts, which I have not liked in other irons such as the Tit AP2's.

The best feeling wedge I have experienced was an old Nike Forged that coincided with the original Nike Forged blade irons; it truly was "butter".
    I have to admit to a little anti Callaway bias but I wanted to like this wedge. The other reason I disliked it was the razor sharp grooves that mauled the cover off golf balls.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I set a personal record for golf club expenditures this past season, and at least I did have a really good year.

But now I'm not even sure that I'm going to play anymore. While caring for an elderly relative, I discovered how old I am myself. I'm a big bag of aches and pains these days.

Buy what you need, but try not to go overboard. If you've got the money to spend, going overboard is too damned easy. There's no guarantee that you'll ever use the stuff.

You could end up with an expensive golf museum in storage as I've got.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I set a personal record for golf club expenditures this past season, and at least I did have a really good year.

But now I'm not even sure that I'm going to play anymore. While caring for an elderly relative, I discovered how old I am myself. I'm a big bag of aches and pains these days.

Buy what you need, but try not to go overboard. If you've got the money to spend, going overboard is too damned easy. There's no guarantee that you'll ever use the stuff.

You could end up with an expensive golf museum in storage as I've got.
    Ah well never mind Nifty. It's only money and you can't take it with you.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I don't know which model you bought but mine is forged chrome. From their web site "The 588 Forged Chrome wedge maintains the popular, tour-proven shape of its predecessor with even stronger performance.*"

I don't know which model you bought but mine is forged chrome. From their web site "The 588 Forged Chrome wedge maintains the popular, tour-proven shape of its predecessor with even stronger performance.*"

I've got the satin finish, but I'm sure it's identical. I'm going to try to work it into the bag over the next few weeks. I have had my old one for several years so there is confidence in familiarity (something the club whores fail to realize).
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I played three times over the weekend. For two and a half rounds I played the Mizuno MP-32 irons. I wanted to give them a fair shake. I shot rounds of 79, 77 and 76. Here's my summary of the MP-32 and blades in general:

First, I wanted to like them and keep them in the bag. They just look good at address and feel amazing when you hit them pure.

Here's the deal. The distance you lose when you hit the ball just slightly off center is huge. Especially if you hit the ball a little out toward the toe. It simply isn't worth the trade off.

On the third day, after playing nine holes with the MP-32's, I walked over to my car, popped the trunk and put the Callaway X-18 Pro Series with Rifle FCM 5.5 shafts back in my bag.

All I can say is that the Callaways look great at address, have little to no offset and were WAY easier to hit. Not only that but I felt that they were more accurate than the Mizunos.

If you hate clunky looking irons but want forgiveness I would highly recommend the Callaway X-18 Pro Series. It's a very compact head and looks great at address. The topline is a little thick but overall it's a great looking club.

I think I have found the shaft that fits me the best. Rifle FCM 5.5.

I've got the satin finish, but I'm sure it's identical. I'm going to try to work it into the bag over the next few weeks. I have had my old one for several years so there is confidence in familiarity (something the club whores fail to realize).
    I agree. I switched to a 58* a couple of years ago. It took me a good while to figure out my shots but now I'm glad I made the switch. My bag is a now a 3 wedge setup, instead of the 4 wedge setup leaving me room for another long iron/hybrid.

I agree. I switched to a 58* a couple of years ago. It took me a good while to figure out my shots but now I'm glad I made the switch. My bag is a now a 3 wedge setup, instead of the 4 wedge setup leaving me room for another long iron/hybrid.

Anyone who uses four wedges is a wedge poser or a Vokey geek.

Anyone who uses four wedges is a wedge poser or a Vokey geek.
    I've got 4, if you count the PW. 60, 56, 52, PW.
    I used to go with PW, 54, 60 (or 58).

My biggest issue is that I love a low bounce 60, and I need a mid/high wedge to use out of bunkers, dodgy lies, etc. 54* wasn't enough loft for a typical sand shot. I pretty much never use my 52.

Vokeys suck. Have you ever heard Bob Vokey speak? I'd never buy clubs that guy has designed.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

My biggest issue is that I love a low bounce 60, and I need a mid/high wedge to use out of bunkers, dodgy lies, etc. 54* wasn't enough loft for a typical sand shot. I pretty much never use my 52.

Vokeys suck. Have you ever heard Bob Vokey speak? I'd never buy clubs that guy has designed.
    If you never use the 52 you might as well go with PW, 56, 60.

The 52 is one of the most used clubs in my bag after my driver and putter. I use it for most short game shots around the green and from 100 for full shots anything in to about 50 yards for half shots and pitch shots. A 60 is a disaster waiting to happen for me so I just use PW, 52, 56. I only have 10° bounce on the 56 so I can open it up if the lie is decent for the rare occasions I need to. I get a lot more value out of an extra hybrid vs an extra wedge.

Now where the f#ck am I?

If you never use the 52 you might as well go with PW, 56, 60.

The 52 is one of the most used clubs in my bag after my driver and putter. I use it for most short game shots around the green and from 100 for full shots anything in to about 50 yards for half shots and pitch shots. A 60 is a disaster waiting to happen for me so I just use PW, 52, 56. I only have 10° bounce on the 56 so I can open it up if the lie is decent for the rare occasions I need to. I get a lot more value out of an extra hybrid vs an extra wedge.
    The 52 is just a regular club for me, in that I pretty much only use it for full shots. The 56 and 60 get used all over the place.
    It would be almost 10 degree gap between PW and SW if I drop the 52. I can't imagine getting much benefit out of adding another long club at the end of the bag.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

The 52 is just a regular club for me, in that I pretty much only use it for full shots. The 56 and 60 get used all over the place.
    It would be almost 10 degree gap between PW and SW if I drop the 52. I can't imagine getting much benefit out of adding another long club at the end of the bag.
    I think it just depends on rather you can get away from using the 4th wedge. My 58* is a low bounce and can use it like a 60*, or more, for chips and pitches. The only reason I would consider going to the 4th wedge is for light, fluffy sand. Our sand is pretty dense and sometimes compacted so the 58* low bounce is perfect.

Any of youse guys hit the bridgestone j38 driver?
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Bump. I'd like to hear feedback as well. I've got my eye on a complete set of Bridgestone J38 irons, hybrid, Driver & 3 wood & bag plus a Ping putter for $450.

It's a good club. But like most all modern drivers, it's the shaft that will set it apart, not the head. I believe it came with a Fujikura Motore F1 shaft. The head was your typical 460cc, long bomber type. Solid club just nothing more than anything else out there.

Now the irons, those are a different story. I've owned the J36cb, J38 and now bag the J40DCP irons. Bridgestone makes the most underrated irons in all of golf. Easy to hit, easy to work the ball, classic looking, best bang for the buck I've ever owned. Better than the Mizuno MP57 and MP60. And their wedges are nothing to snicker at either. If the wedges had any down side, it's the lack of loft/bounce options.

Thumbs down

I use a low bounce 60 and a higher bounce 54... Of course the sand I hit out of is the consistency of Quikcrete. I have no problems getting any loft, shot or flop on the 54.

The Cally X's are hard... I was trying Cleveland 15's and they felt too soft if that is even possible.
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

Quote Originally Posted by CPS View Post
    I use a low bounce 60 and a higher bounce 54... Of course the sand I hit out of is the consistency of Quikcrete. I have no problems getting any loft, shot or flop on the 54.

The Cally X's are hard... I was trying Cleveland 15's and they felt too soft if that is even possible.
    If you guys haven't tried out a Ping Eye 2 SW I'd highly recommend it. It's the best feeling and most versatile wedge I've had the pleasure of hitting.

My gf called me at 11:30 last night and gave me some bs why she couldn't touch base with me earlier. Then she asks if she should come over.

I'm not some kind of ho.

Check it out. Today I went over to Golfmart because they've got their storewide 20% off sale going on, Scotty Camerons and Ping Anser excluded. Whatever.

Digressed. Tried out three irons in the cage, yo'.

Ping G20 with CFS Stiff

Callaway X-22 Tour Series with Project X 6.0

Ping i15 with AWT Regular

After a few swings with the Ping i15, I threw that POS to the side like it was scrap metal.

Then I tried the G20 and I have to say I was very impressed. Great feeling iron and I really like the CFS shaft much better than the AWT. This iron looks more like the Ping Eye 2 than any iron I've seen.

Finally, I tried the Callaway X-22 Tour Series with Project X 6.0 shafts. Holy Rangeballs, Batman!! I don't know if I've ever experienced a club that felt so perfectly fitted to my swing. The weight, flex, lie and look all worked together like a symphony. I am not kidding or exaggerating when I say that I was hitting the 7 iron 170 yards and dead straight. Just plain wierd.

They were in excellent shape for $269 and after the 20% off I got 'em for $233. Not the greatest deal in the world but they are like new and I just couldn't let them go. Amazing.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

If you guys haven't tried out a Ping Eye 2 SW I'd highly recommend it. It's the best feeling and most versatile wedge I've had the pleasure of hitting.
    I bought a Ping L from my next door headpro when I was in Lancaster PA. He was a headpro for Bent Creek CC. He practically gave it to me for $20. I think it was 62* (?), I hit it well from a rough but not from a tight lie. I sold it on eBay for $50.. I should have kept it and bent it to 58*
    http://www.bentcreekcc.com/

Check it out. Today I went over to Golfmart because they've got their storewide 20% off sale going on, Scotty Camerons and Ping Anser excluded. Whatever.

Digressed. Tried out three irons in the cage, yo'.

Ping G20 with CFS Stiff

Callaway X-22 Tour Series with Project X 6.0

Ping i15 with AWT Regular

After a few swings with the Ping i15, I threw that POS to the side like it was scrap metal.

Then I tried the G20 and I have to say I was very impressed. Great feeling iron and I really like the CFS shaft much better than the AWT. This iron looks more like the Ping Eye 2 than any iron I've seen.

Finally, I tried the Callaway X-22 Tour Series with Project X 6.0 shafts. Holy Rangeballs, Batman!! I don't know if I've ever experienced a club that felt so perfectly fitted to my swing. The weight, flex, lie and look all worked together like a symphony. I am not kidding or exaggerating when I say that I was hitting the 7 iron 170 yards and dead straight. Just plain wierd.

They were in excellent shape for $269 and after the 20% off I got 'em for $233. Not the greatest deal in the world but they are like new and I just couldn't let them go. Amazing.
    Congrats FD. Wow how time flies. Just seems like last week you were buying your last set of clubs. Wait a minute ...???

Weren't they the irons you used in our match? Or were they X-18 Pro series?

Now where the f#ck am I?

It's a good thing there's no such thing as Consumer Transmitted Diseases. FD would have caught them all like Pokemon by now. Of course, then he'd have to come to Canada for treatment because the medical bills in the US would be more costly than a BP legal settlement.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature View Post
    It's a good thing there's no such thing as Consumer Transmitted Diseases. FD would have caught them all like Pokemon by now. Of course, then he'd have to come to Canada for treatment because the medical bills in the US would be more costly than a BP legal settlement.

FON
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. How many used iron sets, wedges, putters, drivers, fairway woods and hybrids are sitting in the "Used" club sections of shops because their previous owners lacked the skills to utilize them property? Most, I'd venture. So you've still got Chopper DNA on the grips unless the store personnel went the extra foot and washed the grips. That is pretty unlikely based on what I've seen since most of them don't even bother to brush the dirt out of the iron grooves or wash off the sky marks from the woods and hybrids. So whenever I buy a used club or clubs, the first thing I do is wash the grips thoroughly and some of the time I buy a new grip or grips and immediately cut off the old grips without ever hitting a shot with them. Remember, Chopper DNA can be deadly.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. How many used iron sets, wedges, putters, drivers, fairway woods and hybrids are sitting in the "Used" club sections of shops because their previous owners lacked the skills to utilize them property? Most, I'd venture. So you've still got Chopper DNA on the grips unless the store personnel went the extra foot and washed the grips. That is pretty unlikely based on what I've seen since most of them don't even bother to brush the dirt out of the iron grooves or wash off the sky marks from the woods and hybrids. So whenever I buy a used club or clubs, the first thing I do is wash the grips thoroughly and some of the time I buy a new grip or grips and immediately cut off the old grips without ever hitting a shot with them. Remember, Chopper DNA can be deadly.
    Spot on Mongrel. You can never be too careful. Hackerism can be caught easily. Watch out when some some stranger at the range offers you his club to try. Where do you think the shanks come from?Highly contagious.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    Spot on Mongrel. You can never be too careful. Hackerism can be caught easily. Watch out when some some stranger at the range offers you his club to try. Where do you think the shanks come from?Highly contagious.
    I must say that it can work the other way, too. FD was generous enough to send me some used clubs, a few head covers, a sleeve of archaic balls, and two used gloves. I assume that they may have been used by FD at some time. I played two rounds with the putter--a generic POS that feels like crap. The first round I played with it I made over 100 feet of putts including a 40 footer for birdie on a par 3 and a 40 footer for par on the 18th to win the stroke play competition by one shot. I should also mention that the two gloves that were in his CARE package were well-used but I used them both in competition until they were worn through. I hit many great drives, iron approaches, chips and pitches with those gloves. So I think that the FD DNA definitely helped.

Thread Information