|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Any MacGregor fans here that can help me I.D. these irons?

Hello all,

I've just signed up to this site and I was hoping that someone could help me identify these MacGregor irons that I just bought. I think I know what they are supposed to be - Tourney VIP 1025M's from around 2001. My friend has the same set but we noticed that there are differences when we compared the two sets. Specifically:

1. My set has a non-glare satin finish and his set has a shiny chrome finish.

2. There are no stampings on the hosels. My friend's irons have "forged 1025M" stamped on the hosel.

3. The stampings on the back of my clubs read "Tourney" and "MB" while my friend's read "Tourney" and "V-Foil". Also my stampings look like they were hand stamped - the position and alignment vary slightly from club to club. My friend's stampings are consistent throughout the set.

4. The two sets feel different on impact. His irons feel more crisp and mine feel a lot more "mushy". Don't get me wrong, the clubs work just fine and I actually kinda like the softer feel of my set but it's noticeably different.

There is a serial number on the ferrules of my set and I've already sent an email to MacGregor to see if they have any info but I'm still waiting for a reply.

I read the reviews for the irons on this site (http://www.golfreview.com/cat/irons/...3_2940crx.aspx) and I didn't see any mention of the differences that I noted above. I have also not found any info when I did a Google search.

So because of all of this I'm worried that I got a fake set of irons. Do any of you have any thoughts about this?

I have attached a stock picture of the 1025M's for reference. I tried to post a picture of my irons for comparison but I couldn't get the file to upload.

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

i dont think that these wese ever cloned so i wouldnt worry about a fake... it sounds like you may have bought a tour issue set... if you did thats awesome and a great find... let us kno what mac says...

1. An actual photo of the irons in question might be helpful for some of the sleuths
    2. The difference in value between a 6-7 year old set of "real" irons vs. counterfeit irons would be minimal at this point, so you couldn't be out much money, in the worst case scenario.
    3. If they play well and do the job, I wouldn't obsess about their origin. If they play poorly, it doesn't matter if they are real, either.
    4. You are in a far different situation than someone who just spent $600 - 800 for a set of brand new fake Taylormades, Callaways, or Mizunos, so relax.
    5. I remember the model of MacGregor irons just before the 1025 M, 1025 CM's, and the 1025 C's, and it's possible you may have some of those, which might be circa 1999 or so. I had a set of 1025 C's, which I bought shortly after they were introduced. I remember that some of the irons they had just before they brought out their M, CM, and C series looked relatively similar, at least for the blades.
    6. If you don't get any help on this board, you might try the FGI (Free Golf Info) board. You might also try taking a photo of the clubhead and sending it to MacGregor's customer service department to see if they could help.
    Good luck
    Last edited by dorkman53; 10-05-2008 at 06:29 AM.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Now that I've had a night to sleep on it, I'm not that worried about whether or not the clubs are real. It'd still be nice to know what exactly I have though.

Hopefully MacGregor will get back to me with some info.

I couldn't get photos to upload to the site so hopefully this will work.

http://s402.photobucket.com/albums/p...=mac1025M2.jpg

Just following up on this thread in case anyone was interested. Anyway, I finally heard back from MacGregor. They said the clubs were authentic so that's good to know. Also, the clubs were a custom order set which is why they look different (satin finish) than the other sets I've seen with the shiny chrome finish.

Lastly, they said "The only information that I [MacGregor] can reveal about the forgings is that they come from over seas. I [MacGregor] can not reveal where this takes place." I don't know what this means.

Quote Originally Posted by highfade
    Just following up on this thread in case anyone was interested. Anyway, I finally heard back from MacGregor. They said the clubs were authentic so that's good to know. Also, the clubs were a custom order set which is why they look different (satin finish) than the other sets I've seen with the shiny chrome finish.

Lastly, they said "The only information that I [MacGregor] can reveal about the forgings is that they come from over seas. I [MacGregor] can not reveal where this takes place." I don't know what this means.
    It probably means that they were forged in Thailand or China, and not in Japan. No biggie, really. They certainly look exactly like the MacGregors I remember in the late 90's.
    Enjoy them. The companies that tend to attract the counterfeiters are usually the Taylormades and Callaways; clubs that have wide circulation and are relatively premium priced.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

The v-foil Tourneys are a later model from the ones you seem to have. I have the same as yours in my wedges. They are definitely legit MacGregor Tourneys, just a slightly older model than the v-foil. I've had mine for about 5 years and love em. Very soft feel.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information