|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Stanford financial

Those guys are the sponsors of one of the Arizona tourneys, aren't they? Or some other stuff during the year? Are they the ones that are doing Eagles for St. Jude?

I know their name from the Golf Channel.

Anyway, today their offices were raided by feds and they're going to be charged with fraud a la Madoff, selling investments with rates too good to be true and 'losing track' of where that money ended up.. they were using a bank in Antigua, offshore stuff, and apparently nobody but Mr. Stanford himself knows what's going on in those accounts.

Another colossal embarrassment, another perp walk, more people ruined, and the Golf Channel with some unpaid advertising bills.

Oh yeah, and the poor kids at St. Jude getting the short end of the stick again, if I'm right about who SF is... childhood cancer's not enough, they've got to get shafted by slick finance guys while they're dying.

SF was selling $100k CDs with 5.3% rates, while American banks offer 3.2%. NOT BLOODY LIKELY. About $8 billion is presently unaccounted for.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    u are correct dave, they are also sponsoring the Sony Ericsson Open tennis event. pretty sad stuff.

that logo may come off of Vijay's sleeve now.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    u are correct dave, they are also sponsoring the Sony Ericsson Open tennis event. pretty sad stuff.

that logo may come off of Vijay's sleeve now.
    I wonder how many of the pros had money with Stanford. Could be quite a few.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

About 10 years ago, I bought into a Ponzie scheme, set up under the guise of a legitimate investment house. Rate of return on 5 year bonds was 50%, minimum investvent of 5K per note. I jumped in for 10K and lost every dime. Of course the company's owner was paying out the expiring bonds with the new bonds. The dude got busted by the Feds and I kept getting notices from the FBI about the status of the guy's court trial for years. I kept thinking each letter would be informing me that I was getting a piece of my investment back.
    The people with money at Stanford aren't going to see much, since the assets will be used to pay for trial. Sucks.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I invested with an ex-pro athlete who was producing a sports video. Sounds stupid doesn't it? I knew it at the time, but the guy was helping my business so I figured if I lost it, it wouldn't be that big a deal, I was still getting value for it. But he gave the investors' money to a real producer who pocketed it and then came up with reasons the production failed and the money was spent.

He did it to others, was busted, and I got the same sorts of letters until he eventually went to jail. The sad part is noone will invest with the ex-jock anymore, or give him a job, and he spent most of what he earned playing.
    GR lives...

I always prioritized consuming over investing--and didn't seem to wind up any worse off than anyone else. Go figure.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick
    I always prioritized consuming over investing--and didn't seem to wind up any worse off than anyone else. Go figure.
    lol same here. i don't trust anyone with my $. not even myself!
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Consensus seems to be that the six pack of Labatts is the best small investment going...

I'm in!
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    Consensus seems to be that the six pack of Labatts is the best small investment going...

I'm in!
    Too expensive. Miller Lite for the win.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins

I'm in!

I applaud you, you have good taste in beer . . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Sam Adams seasonal brews for me.

Sam Adams seasonal brews for me.

You are also to be applauded, sir . . . . . . .

Sam Adams anything is good for me. Very good quality brew.

Just supporting local industry, Sooner.
    But it is good.

The real question in this thread might should be, what would John Daly invest in?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Funny thing about John Daly.

As a proper Bostonian, I must admit that he really isn't the kind of guy I'd want to hang with. But "kind of guy" aside, I think I'd like him in particular. He's not the everyday sh*tkicker cafone. He's special. You really have to respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    The real question in this thread might should be, what would John Daly invest in?
    Probably some counselling in regard to getting his personal life together. Don't get me wrong I really like the guy. But with his talent imagine what he could have acheived. Too late now I suppose; seems like a waste of that amazing ability. I guess he isn't the only one though.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Probably some counselling in regard to getting his personal life together. Don't get me wrong I really like the guy. But with his talent imagine what he could have acheived. Too late now I suppose; seems like a waste of that amazing ability. I guess he isn't the only one though.
    If the poor bastard's life were in order, oldplayer, he wouldn't be the patron saint and honorary head pro at GR, would he?

If the poor bastard's life were in order, oldplayer, he wouldn't be the patron saint and honorary head pro at GR, would he?
    True enough Nifty; point taken.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I honestly believe if you had put someone like Corey Pavin or our own Craig Parry's tenacity and course management into Daly he would have been a double figure major champion, and would have been a real rival to Tiger. Even Tiger has said Daly is the most naturally gifted golfer he has ever seen. But if my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle, and nobody gets everything given to them in golf. Except Tiger.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information