|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: A Demo Day...

A Demo Day...

saturday was a good demo day out at westcott... i went and tried all the new crap, the stuff i could stomach to look at... CALLAWAY = SHI.TTY CHOPPER CRAP. TM = see callaway... that new r9 belongs in edgeys bag... it's like an OEM thriver with extra fa.g appeal.

in the end the only useful thing was the putting analysis... they had the rife boys out and would film your stroke and let you know what's going on... HERE'S WHAT I LEARNED...

yes you use your own putter.

my backswing time/tempo was perfect (it was using info compiled from 100 European touring pros) my forward swing was fast (therefore there's a lot of hit in my stroke = not good), and the finish was also in perfect time/tempo.

another thing i am extremely consistent with time/ tempo on all putts and also my line is perfect straight back straight through...

...HAS ANYONE ELSE SEEN THE PROBLEM YET?

the SCSD is a toe balanced putter ( wants to rotate open to closed through the stroke) but my stroke is trying to hold it square the whole time... Not going to make a huge difference on 5-10 foot putts, but anything outside of that requires a combo of misread or mishit to make it.

something i have noticed is that i never was confident outside of 10 feet. so doing some drills to train myself to arc putt.

another thing the bridgestone boys are doing ball analysis... my numbers i felt (last time they were measured) were CHspeed 110-112 Ball speed = 165-169, spin rate on PRO V 3500 - 3700, carry distance 250 -255 total distance 260-265. so they give me the pro v and have me hit about 6 balls...

here's the numbers they came up with: CH speed 113 ballspeed 167-170 carry distance 263 -265 total distance 275-280. spin rate with the pro v only 2800????? hmmmm
    spin rate with their b330 and b330s only 2700?

ball flight was the same on both the slight 5 yard draw.

i thought there numbers were inflated but they said everyone else (american ego golfers) were complaining that the numbers were short of what they observe ( YEAH RIGHT) the only company there without CHOPPER SHOVELS ONLY???

THAT'S RIGHT BIATCHES: MIZUNO.

Omen
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Don't know if you've seen the putting aid called The Putting Arc. They have one next to the practice green at my course. It's a decent way to check what you're doing.

I wouldn't suggest spending the money on one unless Larry can get you a deal on a zero leverage putting arc.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Don't know if you've seen the putting aid called The Putting Arc. They have one next to the practice green at my course. It's a decent way to check what you're doing.

I wouldn't suggest spending the money on one unless Larry can get you a deal on a zero leverage putting arc.

I've heard that this is a very good training aid -- maybe the best you can buy in golf aids. I definitely need some help with my putting, so I may be looking into purchasing one of these babies.

Omen, at my course, the club pro and course manager is a big PING man. So, the only OEM he ever allows at a demo/fitting day is you guessed it, PING. Ping has ABSOLUTELY nothing they can offer me. Even their blade offering in the S57s make me want to puke. How in the world they could ever call that a blade is beyond me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Omen you may want to check your grip pressure too. If you're the slightest bit tense it'll keep the putter face from naturally opening and closing throughout the swing which'll lead to manipulation. Putting arc is a great training aid to help with that.

However if you want to be cheap and want an excellent putting tool, put two tees in the ground just barely bigger than your putter. My putting has gotten much more solid in the past few weeks since I started incorporating that into my putting. It's helped keep my wrists passive more because I'll smack into a tee if I start getting handsy.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

Omen,

Why are you thinking about changing your putting stroke to fit your putter? Why not stick with the stroke you have and get a putter that suits your stroke. For your stroke a centre faced balanced, centre shaft would be ideal. If you have an aversion to full on mallets there are still plenty of blade like putters that would fit the bill. Odyssey has at least two putters in their range which are centre shafted/face balanced which are blade like, and Ping has a few as well.

So my advice is, stop drinking the Scotty Cameron Kool Aid and get yourself a better fitting putter.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Omen,

Why are you thinking about changing your putting stroke to fit your putter? Why not stick with the stroke you have and get a putter that suits your stroke. For your stroke a centre faced balanced, centre shaft would be ideal. If you have an aversion to full on mallets there are still plenty of blade like putters that would fit the bill. .
    exactly... why switch a good technique to fit a club... just use like a red X or something... youll be a lot more consistant than if you were gonna switch complete methods...

HEY GA .... WTF are you doing? or not doing i should say?

well here's the problem i have with going face balanced... i hate mallets and i have issues with center shafted putters. the center shaft thing distracts me during the stroke.... i'm a line putter ( line on ball ) and during the stroke i am focused on the line on the ball so when the shaft interrupts that line of sight it breaks my concentration.

i've tried this new thing where i hover the putter behind the ball (to clear the resistance from the putter resting on the ground- which causes an outside takeaway move) but now i'm choking the club... i used to putt and try to feel like i was just barely holding the putter.

eeehhhhh.... work to do

Omen

Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    HEY GA .... WTF are you doing? or not doing i should say?

well here's the problem i have with going face balanced... i hate mallets and i have issues with center shafted putters. the center shaft thing distracts me during the stroke.... i'm a line putter ( line on ball ) and during the stroke i am focused on the line on the ball so when the shaft interrupts that line of sight it breaks my concentration.

i've tried this new thing where i hover the putter behind the ball (to clear the resistance from the putter resting on the ground- which causes an outside takeaway move) but now i'm choking the club... i used to putt and try to feel like i was just barely holding the putter.

eeehhhhh.... work to do

Omen
    OK then. Just admit it. Your phobias have overwhelmed your common sense. You're screwed....
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

not a phobia... the centershaft thing... just a preference... i can learn to putt on an arc... i just need the arc putting aid right?

not a phobia... the centershaft thing... just a preference... i can learn to putt on an arc... i just need the arc putting aid right?
    Hưưưmmmmm... the centershaft thing, you have one and could not use it correctly *_* , now I understand your frustration

no i dont have one but i've tried them and at impact the shaft interrupts my focal point and disrupts my concentration. I dont like that so i dont use it. it's like a really thick topline, i'm thinking about how terribly hideous it looks instead of the shot i'm about to hit.

hopefully that wasnt too complicated for you.

Omen

no i dont have one but i've tried them and at impact the shaft interrupts my focal point and disrupts my concentration. I dont like that so i dont use it. it's like a really thick topline, i'm thinking about how terribly hideous it looks instead of the shot i'm about to hit.

Omen
    Omen... you did not catch the "centershaft' did you? hahahaha

Omen

Why not try a face-balanced double bend shaft? I thought those were designed specifically for people who want a face balanced putter without the eye-line clutter during the stroke.

If you wish to just apply the SBST type stroke to your blade putter though, it's not that tough... a trick I used to use is to pre-set the left wrist in an extremely weak position (you set your grip extremely weak with your left hand), to prevent the face from turning over.

I eventually smartened up and switched to a putter which enhanced my natural stroke, but there's no substitute for the distance control I enjoyed while putting with a blade-like (anser style) putter.

It all depends on what you're looking for...

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    Why not try a face-balanced double bend shaft? I thought those were designed specifically for people who want a face balanced putter without the eye-line clutter during the stroke.

If you wish to just apply the SBST type stroke to your blade putter though, it's not that tough... a trick I used to use is to pre-set the left wrist in an extremely weak position (you set your grip extremely weak with your left hand), to prevent the face from turning over.

I eventually smartened up and switched to a putter which enhanced my natural stroke, but there's no substitute for the distance control I enjoyed while putting with a blade-like (anser style) putter.

It all depends on what you're looking for...

FON

I bought a PING Craz-E putter, their newest one, about three weeks ago. It has one of those double bend shafts on it and I have been putting with it for 3 weeks. It will go into the closet and be replaced by my YES Callie putter because that double bend shite is weirding me out. It makes the face almost look closed on address even though it really isn't. I've tried two mallet style putters in the last 4 years and never liked either. I don't know what possesses me sometimes to try them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Omen... you did not catch the "centershaft' did you? hahahaha

hahahahha... yeah i did miss that ... sorry i usually like to appreciate fine work like this. my apologies good sir

Omen, mud on his face.

if i was able to teach myself the SBST style why cant i teach myself arc putting? it only takes practice... something i'm not terribly opposed to doing.

Omen, i really like the weight, feel, and look of this putter... not all camerons but this one definitely

if i was able to teach myself the SBST style why cant i teach myself arc putting? it only takes practice... something i'm not terribly opposed to doing.

Omen, i really like the weight, feel, and look of this putter... not all camerons but this one definitely
    I ordered me an arc putting aid today. My putting just has to get better and more consistent. I'm willing to put the time and practice in on it, I just need a little direction to get me to the next level . . . .

Omen, like FON said there are plenty of face balanced putters that aren't centre shafted or mallets. Odyssey Rossie putters come to mind, and they are tour proven and have been used to win majors. Your reasoning for sticking to your POS Scotty Camera are illogical.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Double bend shafts do have a weird look. Why I went for rife with the plumbers neck. Like the way it looks and seems to be working.

Seriously Omen, there's no reason you can't learn arc putting... it's the same swing you probably use for chipping. If you're having difficulties adapting to the technique, try lifting your right foot through impact as you stroke the putt - like you would for a chip shot... once you get the feeling of how your hands are supposed to work from that, you should be able to make the proper stroke without lifting the back foot. You just need to feel what your hands should be doing first.

Get that toe turning over. Your lag putting is going to be dynamite once you get the hang of this.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    If you're having difficulties adapting to the technique, try lifting your right foot through impact as you stroke the putt - like you would for a chip shot...
    FON
    I practice an advanced version of this drill where I lift both feet through impact.
    GR lives...

Check out Stan Utley's book if you're serious about converting. He has many useful tips and drills. I personally don't get the sbst style. It's too mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    Check out Stan Utley's book if you're serious about converting. He has many useful tips and drills. I personally don't get the sbst style. It's too mechanical.
    I just ordered this book off Amazon.com, Poe, based on your recommendation. I have the deluxe Putting Arc on it's way to my home now and it has a DVD that ships with it, but it will be nice to have a little more in-depth info on the arc putting style . . . .

I practice an advanced version of this drill where I lift both feet through impact.
    Only people I know that can do that is fairies. You saying you're a fairy?

Do you find the 'Pivot for Power' a good training aid for this technique?

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    I'm a dedicated sbst putter and find it to be a natural feeling stroke for me and not mechanical at all, and much more consistent for shortish straight putts. But I think the sbst works best for me because I'm also a left hand low putter. Gripping with left hand low has the effect of lowering the left shoulder so it is level with the right. From this position a sbst stroke can be made by rocking the shoulders back and through and keeping everything else the same (maintaing the triangle). I concede that with a conventional putting grip the left shoulder is much higher than the right, so the sbst would be much less natural feeling than with the left hand low grip. I think if you watch the tour you will notice that the guys who can really putt using the sbst also putt left hand low (Harrington, Furyk).

Changing your putting stroke to fit a Scotty Cameron putter is like having sex with another man to justify keeping a pair of ass-less chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Zinger
    Changing your putting stroke to fit a Scotty Cameron putter is like having sex with another man to justify keeping a pair of ass-less chaps.
    Another solid post to follow up your BJ flame job a few months back. Thumbs up.

The real question now becomes: Does Camp Freddy wear ass-less chaps?

Well, at least you got to keep the assless chaps.
    GR lives...

Thread Information