|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Ping G5 vs. Callaway Big Bertha Irons

I am in the process of picking new irons and have narrowed it down to the Ping G5's and Callaway Big Bertha's. They are both in my price range, an upgrade from what I have, and both feel good when I hit them. Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by nebellow
    I am in the process of picking new irons and have narrowed it down to the Ping G5's and Callaway Big Bertha's. They are both in my price range, an upgrade from what I have, and both feel good when I hit them. Any advice?
    Ping golf clubs are total trash. Trust me I've played them. The last decent set of sticks they made were the Eye2's. The original TiSI driver was fine for it's day as well, but now they are total crap. Callaway appears to lead the golf world in terms of cutting edge R&D. Your best bet is to go with a Callaway set of clubs.

Ping G5 are some of the better irons Ping have made recently. As much as i hate to agree with Wiggle he is correct in saying the Eye 2 are probably their best offering.

Which Big Bertha's? I have the 2002 versions and i still think they are the best clubs Callaway ever made.

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

2008 Callaway Big Bertha irons

2008 Callaway Big Bertha irons
    I really like Callaway stuff but of those 2 i would take the G5 's The 2008 BB are not their best offering.

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    I really like Callaway stuff but of those 2 i would take the G5 's The 2008 BB are not their best offering.

Edgey
    He should get the x-22's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 3 Wiggle
    He should get the x-22's.
    Never hit em, but i would agree as the 08 BB are not great. I have heard the X22 are supposed to be OK

Edgey

Never hit em, but i would agree as the 08 BB are not great. I have heard the X22 are supposed to be OK

Edgey
    Ping Golf has really gone downhill. Karsten must have been holding that place together.

I got paired with an old man with BB's in the bag. The old fart begged me to play against him for money. I finally gave in for the last few holes and trounced him. I didn't expect to have so much fun embarrasing an old man, but I really enjoyed it.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

I also love taking money off those old masochist guys on the golf course. But no matter how much they beg I refuse to urinate on them.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I also love taking money off those old masochist guys on the golf course. But no matter how much they beg I refuse to urinate on them.
    No. This dude thought he was going take me, and was genuinely fuming the whole time.

He even introduced me to a new match play technique. He claimed his vision wasn't that good and kept asking me where the traps and trees were located...like I was going to focus on the obstacles instead of where I wanted to hit it. I have to give him credit for trying.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    No. This dude thought he was going take me, and was genuinely fuming the whole time.

He even introduced me to a new match play technique. He claimed his vision wasn't that good and kept asking me where the traps and trees were located...like I was going to focus on the obstacles instead of where I wanted to hit it. I have to give him credit for trying.
    He probably saw those 2 hybrids and your thriver and figured he had an easy mark. I guess you are the exception that proves the rule.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    He probably saw those 2 hybrids and your thriver and figured he had an easy mark. I guess you are the exception that proves the rule.
    12 degrees aint no thriver boy

Edgey

12 degrees aint no thriver boy

Edgey
    Anything over 10.5 is a thragina. I assumed thragina and thriver were interchangeable.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

My mom uses a 10.5 degree. Anything more than that is a chick club.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Anything over 10.5 is a thragina. I assumed thragina and thriver were interchangeable.
    Is thragina like a mankini
    Attached Images Attached Images  

meanwhile back at the ranch, i would go with the pings, im currently playing the i3 blade (not a blade i know, i dont get it either), i get on really well with them and find they have improved my iron play, im even starting to hit 3 and 4 reasonably well. But ultimatley i would say go try both out and see what works, but i dont think you can go wrong with the G5's.

This opinion/information may not be overly relevant but I will share it. I know a very experienced club builder who builds his own component clubs and also does all manner of work on clubs in general.
    We often discuss the finer points of equipment as we are both golf junkies. One of the discussions I remember was regarding different OEM's specs on their sets. He was talking about reshafting, puring, swingweighting etc. In other words taking a standard set and rebuiling them to more exacting tolerences. Part of this is getting a set of heads to match in regards to weight etc.
    In his experience Callaway's specs on their off the shelf clubs are terrible and the worst of any he has worked on. Conversly Ping were the best with their spec tolerances very close in an off the shelf set.
    Given this I think the G5 has got to be the better choice.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    This opinion/information may not be overly relevant but I will share it. I know a very experienced club builder who builds his own component clubs and also does all manner of work on clubs in general.
    We often discuss the finer points of equipment as we are both golf junkies. One of the discussions I remember was regarding different OEM's specs on their sets. He was talking about reshafting, puring, swingweighting etc. In other words taking a standard set and rebuiling them to more exacting tolerences. Part of this is getting a set of heads to match in regards to weight etc.
    In his experience Callaway's specs on their off the shelf clubs are terrible and the worst of any he has worked on. Conversly Ping were the best with their spec tolerances very close in an off the shelf set.
    Given this I think the G5 has got to be the better choice.
    That's pretty interesting OP. I've heard similar stories about Callaway.

What was his take on other major brand OEM's?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    That's pretty interesting OP. I've heard similar stories about Callaway.

What was his take on other major brand OEM's?
    He didn't rate them in order that I remember, just that Callaway heads were often shockingly missmatched in a set. I think he said that most OEM's were pretty good, or acceptable, but Ping were easily the most consistent and accurate and Callaway were the opposite.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

He didn't rate them in order that I remember, just that Callaway heads were often shockingly missmatched in a set. I think he said that most OEM's were pretty good, or acceptable, but Ping were easily the most consistent and accurate and Callaway were the opposite.
    Just wondering what the specs in my R7tp's is like. Not that it matters much as my swing tolerances vary wildly from swing to swing anyway!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Just wondering what the specs in my R7tp's is like. Not that it matters much as my swing tolerances vary wildly from swing to swing anyway!
    Next time I catch up with him (which will be soon) I'll ask.

Next time I catch up with him (which will be soon) I'll ask.
    Thanks mate!

Cheers
    Kiwi

Now where the f#ck am I?

I have some suspicions about the specs on my current clubs as my distance gaps from club to club aren't the same, but I'm not game to get them checked as I figure what I don't know for sure won't hurt me. And it might just be a case of not having a consistent swing as Kiwi has pointed out.

P.S. Wiggle, how does it feel to know that you have the biggest POS irons as well as driver?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information