|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

What are the ethics of the MX GFF range

Hi

During some down time from babys i have took a wander around my local golf shops. I saw some real nice MX irons (25's in this case but probably not important) and have some questions.

I have no doubt that the MX is a biatch move compared to the MP range BUT they are GFF and as such have the same samurai sword qualitys.

Is it therefore acceptable to game the MX series on the basis that they are not CAST but GFF forged, albeit probably still a biatch move.

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Call me a beotch then. I've got the 200's. I doubt I'll ever have game enough for MP's....
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    Call me a beotch then. I've got the 200's. I doubt I'll ever have game enough for MP's....
    Never call you a biatch nosh

Question - Is it more ethical to game a set of MX irons (GFF) than a set of say Callaway X Prototypes?

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Tough question, but in my opinion, the Cally X Prototypes are more badasss than anything in the MX line. That said, why would you pay twice as much for the Cally's when you could have instant GR street cred by getting the MP-68's?
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Tough call. I have a demo MX25 6iron. Its definitely an oversized club, but the offset isn't as bad as most OS irons. It feels ok for a GI iron, but the COG is down in the bottom of the club, so you never get that COG behind the ball feel...its more of a hollow springy feel on the sweet spot (kind of feels like hitting a pop up in baseball).

The Callaway blades I demoed were the first forged "blade" I ever hit that felt like a cast clunk of metal...no feel, no feedback, just harsh. To compare, there was a TM guy that had his demo setup right beside Cally, and the TM RAC MB Smokes felt a hundred times better...they felt as good as the mp-29's I was hitting at the range that day.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Tough question, but in my opinion, the Cally X Prototypes are more badasss than anything in the MX line. That said, why would you pay twice as much for the Cally's when you could have instant GR street cred by getting the MP-68's?
    Damnit HB, I had to answer the phone while I was typing out my response, and you make me look like a repeater for starting my response with "tough".
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Interesting

No one seems to have taken into the equation that despite being O/S, and they are, the MX 25/300 are GFF. Surely it is better to be using GFF than some cheap, chinese sweat shop, piss poor forging that Cally/TM use.

Can the GFF excuse the OS nature of the MX 25/300?

Edgey

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Interesting

No one seems to have taken into the equation that despite being O/S, and they are, the MX 25/300 are GFF. Surely it is better to be using GFF than some cheap, chinese sweat shop, piss poor forging that Cally/TM use.

Edgey
    It's a conundrum, to be sure. I'm qualified to speak on this matter, having formerly played MX-23's in 3-5 iron. The feel is not the same as my MP-32's. As Purist mentioned, they feel a bit hollow, even when hit pure. The 23's seem to have considerable offset and are pretty big from heel to toe. Definitely not what pops into my head when thinking about GFF.
    Are the 200's and 300's even GFF?
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Edgey, I am coming from the great plains of Oklahoma to give my limey friend an answer, or at least the needful info to make the decision.

Every Samurai has to be trained to become a Master Samurai. It is a known fact that the Master Samurais are the only ones allowed to forge the MP line of clubs. HOWEVER, the Samurais in training have to practice their forging skills in some way, so they are allowed to work on the MX line. They are still led and guided by the Master Samurai so the GFF sings through the MX line as well as the MP line. So, playing the MX line is allowable because of the GFF evident in the irons, but it is a definite B!tchmove for a 70s shooter as yourself to consider playing a set of GFF clubs forged by trainees. You need to play the clubs forged by the Masters themselves.

Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Edgey, I am coming from the great plains of Oklahoma to give my limey friend an answer, or at least the needful info to make the decision.

Every Samurai has to be trained to become a Master Samurai. It is a known fact that the Master Samurais are the only ones allowed to forge the MP line of clubs. HOWEVER, the Samurais in training have to practice their forging skills in some way, so they are allowed to work on the MX line. They are still led and guided by the Master Samurai so the GFF sings through the MX line as well as the MP line. So, playing the MX line is allowable because of the GFF evident in the irons, but it is a definite B!tchmove for a 70s shooter as yourself to consider playing a set of GFF clubs forged by trainees. You need to play the clubs forged by the Masters themselves.

Damn Sooner! That was down right poetic! Kinda brought a tear to my eye....
    team obnoxious

WOW

That is sort of..............philosophical.

It has given me something to think about, thanks Sooner

Edgey

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Are the 200's and 300's even GFF?
    The MX25 and new MX300 are GFF and both have very minimal offset. In fact the MX300 is marketed on the back of having little offset but the forgiveness of a CB. In fairness they are a bit like a Combo set.

Edgey

Edgey these are the facts. For years NAH bagged the MX-20's and tried to run with the GFF crew. But even he knew deep down that anything other than the MP series just didn't cut it. Eventually he gave up on his GFF ideals and ended up with Wilson Fat Shafts in the bag. Do you really want to follow NAH down that same path?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Edgey these are the facts. For years NAH bagged the MX-20's and tried to run with the GFF crew. But even he knew deep down that anything other than the MP series just didn't cut it. Eventually he gave up on his GFF ideals and ended up with Wilson Fat Shafts in the bag. Do you really want to follow NAH down that same path?
    OUCH!!

You've changed since you had those GFF Kiwi. Sort of harder, more cynical, less sympathetic. Hell i havent seen a post from NAH recently, maybe you have shamed him off the forum.

F uck him, ocker bastard

You have made some interesting points their Kiwi, i will mull them over.

Edgey

Yah Edgey, your exactly like NAH so you'll obviously end up with some super game improvement irons in your bag just like him.

Who really cares what others think about your clubs anyway? More power to NAH for playing the clubs that he does. It shows he has a pair.

Interesting

Edgey
    Does PING also produce their clubs in a cheap Chinese sweat shop too?

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    Yah Edgey, your exactly like NAH so you'll obviously end up with some super game improvement irons in your bag just like him.

Who really cares what others think about your clubs anyway? More power to NAH for playing the clubs that he does. It shows he has a pair.
    How bout these bad boys........Good Gawd they're hideous....
    Name:  big-bertha-irons-2008.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  12.4 KB
    team obnoxious

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    OUCH!!

This is probably the biggest insult ever hurled at me here

Farewell cruel world, i cant go on................................

Edgey

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    How bout these bad boys........Good Gawd they're hideous....
    Name:  big-bertha-irons-2008.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  12.4 KB

I LOVED the nice thin soles on those Big Berthas.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I LOVED the nice thin soles on those Big Berthas.
    I know I'm a hacker/chopper/beotch with my MX200's (only saving grace is GFF) but those freeking things are ridiculous! They truly meet the "shovel" criteria....
    team obnoxious

Edgey your a man of the world, your shooting in the 70's I'm low 80's a couple in 70's ( well 2 actually). Man the Fu ck up get some miura blades thrash out the practice during winter and we will have a blade off come new year... Gauntlet laid down..

Edgey mate,
    Like Noshuz, I also have the faggoty GFF chopper paddles (MX 200's) I like mine a lot, as I am a total hack. They are less bulky than most GI clubs. The one thing I don't care for is the amount of offset. The 200's have less offset than a Ping G10 or your BB's, but I do not like much offset. The new 300s have less offset as you stated, I haven't seen them first hand but a 200 with less offset would definitely be an awesome stick.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

And I'm stuck right now on the great plains of Oklahoma. Noone told us we should stay in an ark while we're here. Got in 2 holes today and then floated back to the clubhouse.

The MX line isn't authentic Mizuno. They're mass produced POS clubs targeting those who are going to spend their money on chopper crap and so Mizuno might as well benefit. Like Clark Kent working at the Daily Planet to fund his Superman activities. The guys at Mizuno headquarters probably use them as toilet plungers.

As far as the Callaways vs. MX, it's like comparing herpes to genital warts. Who cares? The point is you wouldn't want either. At least so I've heard.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    And I'm stuck right now on the great plains of Oklahoma. Noone told us we should stay in an ark while we're here. Got in 2 holes today and then floated back to the clubhouse.

The MX line isn't authentic Mizuno. They're mass produced POS clubs targeting those who are going to spend their money on chopper crap and so Mizuno might as well benefit. Like Clark Kent working at the Daily Planet to fund his Superman activities. The guys at Mizuno headquarters probably use them as toilet plungers.

As far as the Callaways vs. MX, it's like comparing herpes to genital warts. Who cares? The point is you wouldn't want either. At least so I've heard.

Sorry, Lorenzo, hopefully you get to play tomorrow as it should at least be dry if not a bit cooler. I didn't get my round in today either if it's any consolation . . . . . .

Sorry, Lorenzo, hopefully you get to play tomorrow as it should at least be dry if not a bit cooler. I didn't get my round in today either if it's any consolation . . . . . .
    Hope so because a complete tour of Stillwater took about an hour. Including 15 minutes messing around at the OSU football stadium. The trophy room at Karsten is so far the most impressive thing we've seen.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by BURNDOG
    Edgey your a man of the world, your shooting in the 70's I'm low 80's a couple in 70's ( well 2 actually). Man the Fu ck up get some miura blades thrash out the practice during winter and we will have a blade off come new year... Gauntlet laid down..
    In fairness i am a low 80's with the odd great 74/75.

I think the MX25/300 is the ideal compromise, GFF Samurai accuracy with a little bit of help and minimal offset.

With regards to the challenge, no probs. Bring it on ;-)

Edgey

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    Edgey mate,
    Like Noshuz, I also have the faggoty GFF chopper paddles (MX 200's) I like mine a lot, as I am a total hack. They are less bulky than most GI clubs. The one thing I don't care for is the amount of offset. The 200's have less offset than a Ping G10 or your BB's, but I do not like much offset. The new 300s have less offset as you stated, I haven't seen them first hand but a 200 with less offset would definitely be an awesome stick.
    Edgey! Geezus Krist Man! I never noticed that was in your bag! You got game! Have you been playing those shovels since 2002?
    team obnoxious

Sweet, I'll let you set the date and the neutral course(please don't be a li ms please don't be a links)..... I'll look forward to it..

Sweet, I'll let you set the date and the neutral course(please don't be a li ms please don't be a links)..... I'll look forward to it..
    Cool, i have managed to get out today and shot a very easy 71 (on a par 69 short knockers goat track) with my BB, FTiQ and Lovett Wedge.

Let me know roughly the best part of the UK for you (somewhere between Birmingham and you poss) and i will jack it up. Hell i may even have the GFF by then (I have just ordered the GFF wedges, irons next)

Edgey

In fairness i am a low 80's with the odd great 74/75.

I think the MX25/300 is the ideal compromise, GFF Samurai accuracy with a little bit of help and minimal offset.

With regards to the challenge, no probs. Bring it on ;-)

Edgey
    In all seriousness Edgey what about the MP-52 or MP-57? They are a great compromise IMO. The MP-52 is supposedly the easiest to hit in the MP range and is a great looking club in my humble opinion. Still a small compact players club that offers plenty of forgiveness. Just a suggestion?

Now where the f#ck am I?

In all seriousness Edgey what about the MP-52 or MP-57? They are a great compromise IMO. The MP-52 is supposedly the easiest to hit in the MP range and is a great looking club in my humble opinion. Still a small compact players club that offers plenty of forgiveness. Just a suggestion?
    He has had the 57's before. I think he actually posted a picture of them. Don't know why they got shelved.

Hi

The MP 52 is nice, i have used the MP 57 and didnt like them. That maybe more to do with the shaft (Project X) which doesnt suit my swing.

I am looking into the MP 52 as we speak

Edgey

I'm in York, the miuras are here early next week so need a lil time with them, I'll let you know how I get on with them.

Wow, just Realised what clubs you where on about (mx 25/300). What happened to getting blades and manning up. I bought a set of mp 52 about a month ago that didn't turn up ( long story), thinking lovely club lovely feel ,GFF the nuts. Then omen came on and as good as spat at me saying that those clubs where to GFF what the 944 is to Porsche ( well something along those lines). It will be interesting to see what the GFF Jedi has to say about this. The letters B and M come to mind.

Why not try some mp60s you can get them cheap like the budgie.. Nice club too

Wow, just Realised what clubs you where on about (mx 25/300). What happened to getting blades and manning up. I bought a set of mp 52 about a month ago that didn't turn up ( long story), thinking lovely club lovely feel ,GFF the nuts. Then omen came on and as good as spat at me saying that those clubs where to GFF what the 944 is to Porsche ( well something along those lines). It will be interesting to see what the GFF Jedi has to say about this. The letters B and M come to mind.

Why not try some mp60s you can get them cheap like the budgie.. Nice club too
    I am averaging 2/3 over par at the moment with BB 2002/Lovett/Hybrids so Omens opinion of my game means jack shite and having seen him hack a 2 iron 160 yards only confirms my view.

I buy what enables me to improve.

What Miuras have you ordered?? God i love Miuras

Edgey

The 2006 retro blade..

Point taken on the omen front... Maybe he isn't the GFF Jedi after all, just another samurai padawn.. That's not a bad average ( kings norton is obviously a goat track and not 27 of the finest holes of the British midlands). Shame on you for retiring the lovett wedge, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Point taken on the omen front... Maybe he isn't the GFF Jedi after all, just another samurai padawn.. That's not a bad average ( kings norton is obviously a goat track and not 27 of the finest holes of the British midlands). Shame on you for retiring the lovett wedge, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Omen, GFF Jedi?

LOL that's a good one. Come to think of it he does look a lot like that skinny schmuck that played Anakin Skywalker before he turned into Darth Vader in one of those ridiculous Star Wars prequels.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Ha ha darth omen, so does that make OP yoda..

Ha ha darth omen, so does that make OP yoda..
    I don't know but it must make Edgey Obi Wan!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Hi

Didnt play at Kings Norton today. KN is 27 holes of majestic perfection.

Edgey

I thought that made egdey Darth Lovett .. And you chewbagger..

Quote Originally Posted by Mizuno>Ping
    Does PING also produce their clubs in a cheap Chinese sweat shop too?
    I think Pings are still made in Arizona. The only exception are the cheaper titanium faced models like the raptures etc. which I think are made in Thailand.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Hell I'll be jabba the putt...

Larry is C3Po

what is GFF?

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaun
    what is GFF?
    Hi newbie

GFF = Grain Flow Forged, the Mizuno art of golf

Edgey

Wow edgey, I don't think your under the spell as much as kiwi, he only played his mizzys once and POW that was it, dishing out ninja whoopass left and right. You obviously haven't fell as hard, of course this is only on the basis of your reply to theshaun... Interesting.

GFF know your limits.....

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaun
    what is GFF?
    It should be imprinted on your MP-14's.

Now where the f#ck am I?

It should be imprinted on your MP-14's.
    It should be, shouldn't it? Or, did these come out before they started stamping Grain Flow Forged on the hosel? Anybody, know . . . . . . . . . anybody, . . . . . . . . . . OldPlayer?

It should be, shouldn't it? Or, did these come out before they started stamping Grain Flow Forged on the hosel? Anybody, know . . . . . . . . . anybody, . . . . . . . . . . OldPlayer?
    DavePerk has some so he'll know but TheShaun should be able to check for himself. LOL - he's come to the wrong forum asking what he should get to replace his MP-14's. We'll all just tell him he already has classic GFF blades in the bag and should stick with those!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Well I see GFF bloviating is still the favorite pastime on here. Is it the indian or the arrow. Some of you obviously have sufffered a head injury on the the golf course.

Four

GHD
    Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
    Sun Tzu

"There is an old saying: If a man comes home with sand in his cuffs and cockleburs in his pants, don't ask him what he shot."
    Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Taylormade v-steel copy 3 & 5 wood
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    Tayormade 2007 Burner 10.5 Driver
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

Thread Information