|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Changing the attitude of golf...

I'm currently a senior in high school, though it feels like 5 min ago that I was in 7/8th grade when I first joined these forums.

I've been on the varsity golf team for six years, and things clearly changed last year in relation to my team's mentality. For the first four years of playing, the team was about being proper, being a "gentleman" (or lady, we've had many girl players). Last year I was captain and we took on a much more aggressive attitude towards the game.

We get to play on very nice courses, and we in no way blew off courtesy. We were not rude necessarily, just more ra ra, loud (not around members), and more of a team. Golf is such an individual sport, yet we really played as a unit. This year we already ordered polo's with names/numbers on the back which I've never seen a team do before. We did it because we're not like the teams we play - so why would we wear a generic polo when we could be different. We don't throw clubs, but we don't hide it when we're pissed and we sure don't hide it when we hole a 20 footer or beat an opponent.

It makes me wonder about the nature of the game. It's so proper, yet we can walk onto Saint Andrews Country Club, light the other team up, and get pumped up about it too. We're done with being quiet and generic, why should this game always be about etiquette?

Many people like golf because of how peaceful it is, but as high school kids in competition, that simply isn't in our nature - so why hide emotions or play nice? That's the only thing I'll miss when I go to LSU - I'm not going to play golf there but I'll miss the energy, suspense, and fight that I've really only gotten from the golf team interestingly enough (I played baseball for a long time, the golf team is more intense, haha).

Idk whether you guys are going to think this is asinine or logical, as I haven't really been here in years and don't really know what the vibe is anymore, lol.
    Member since February of 05.

Bring back the glory days!

Ben, have you been playing on the AJGA?
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Ben, have you been playing on the AJGA?
    I was going to a few years ago but I decided I had too many other things going on and didn't have the time. I ended up playing in some Met PGA events and then doing Varsity only.

Im a staunch traditionalist in that in my personal view the way the american team has been getting at the ryder cup is a disgrace and it would appear that this has trancended to the american youth teams, in my opinion this game is losing its way in the team area and i detest the way some players show a lack of respect for their opponent, the way we conduct ourself on the golf course is what makes our sport what it is, the way the american advertising hype machine is changing our game is something that really does my nut in!!, this is a gentlemans game and i hope we can keep it that way, If we all start acting like the tools at the last ryder cup then i beleive that in the long run it will be detremental to our sports traditional ways.
    Smell your mum

Idk whether you guys are going to think this is asinine or logical, as I haven't really been here in years and don't really know what the vibe is anymore, lol.
    This is actually a good idea...I think...I know I could make it work, but if a bunch of losers employed the same strategy, it could be unbearably annoying.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

I am a big advocate of the FBR Open format where PGA players have to come into an enclosed par 3 and golf well or get booed. So, Ben, I agree with you.

Let's define who the so called "Gentlemen" were who set the tone for "Gentlemen's golf." They were ALL elite class, white, male men who believed that the only people who should ever touch a golf club were men of equal status to them or their caddies whenever they carried their clubs for them. NO ONE ELSE!! They were all snobbish elitist who believed the game belonged to them and no one else. Screw them!

However you want to look at Golf, whether it is a sport or a skills game, it is a competition game and as such deserves a good amount of attitude as does any competition. If someone wants "Tea and Biscuits" with their game, then they can phucking go play croquet!!

Golf needs to see more attitude like was exemplified by the WINNING 2008 Ryder's Cup team -- the AMERICANS!! Long live Boo Weekly riding the club!!
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Generally, fist pumping and celebrating in golf is a huge b!tchmove. However, I think in a team environment (Ryder Cup, High School Golf, College Golf) there is no problem with getting pumped up and cheering for your teammates. As long as you respect the rules of golf and standards of etiquette. I like the idea of the numbered polo's. Make sure to go HorseBalls style and order them from Under Armor, black in color, and at least 2 sizes too small in order to accentuate the "guns". The intimidation factor should send your opponents crying for their momma's teat.

After 6 years on the Varsity Team, I'm surprised you are not going to play in college. What's up with that? Regardless, best of luck in your senior year. Of course, I'd rather see you go to a top notch school, such as The University of Florida, but at least you are going to an SEC school.

as a staunch golf elitist, the reason we do not engage in such shenanigans on the golf course is because this is a game for gentleman. This is not to be confused with football, soccer, baseball, or any of the ilk.

We are quite and respectful on the golf course because that is the nature of the game.
    Why dont we simply sit quietly at a basketball game with just a subtle clapping for each basket made?
    why dont we sit quietly at professional fights (ufc, pride, k-1, boxing) and just observe the fight?

BECAUSE RETARD THAT'S NOT THE NATURE OF THE GAME.

so for the rest of your teen ( infantile ) years leave the thinking to the big boys. You should just color when and how you are told to

Omen, Jerseys with numbers.... wow way to be different.. oh wait you're just like damn near every other sport out there... dont let the door hit you....................
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Quote Originally Posted by steviestuboy
    Im a staunch traditionalist in that in my personal view the way the american team has been getting at the ryder cup is a disgrace and it would appear that this has trancended to the american youth teams, in my opinion this game is losing its way in the team area and i detest the way some players show a lack of respect for their opponent, the way we conduct ourself on the golf course is what makes our sport what it is, the way the american advertising hype machine is changing our game is something that really does my nut in!!, this is a gentlemans game and i hope we can keep it that way, If we all start acting like the tools at the last ryder cup then i beleive that in the long run it will be detremental to our sports traditional ways.
    Have you ever heard of "capitalization," or the punctuation marks called the "apostrophe" or the "period?"
    Note: these were in wide use BEFORE texting was invented, and are STILL utilized by literate people........
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

A "rare these days Omen appearance" and the forum "grammar Nazi" all in one thread. This has possibilities for GR Hall of Fame already. All we need now is a Fred3 appearance . . .

It really depends how great the golf is. By way of analogy, I always appreciate a loud response, even cheering, when I'm knocking it out and really, really rising to the occasion.

It enables me to tap into a level and depth I might not otherwise be able to achieve. And they usually like that.
    GR lives...

Omen, the point I'm trying to make is that with a team dynamic, golf may not be so different than other sports in that it is OUR nature to play with energy and emotion. What does it really matter what the nature of the sport is? Why should we keep it in and play the game in a way we don't care for? Yes I respect tradition, but I believe the game is somewhat evolving (especially in the Tiger era).

And as for the polos, I'll reiterate what I just said, we aren't so different as a team from other sports teams - so why not put names on the backs?

Quote Originally Posted by Benguk_
    Omen, the point I'm trying to make is that with a team dynamic, golf may not be so different than other sports in that it is OUR nature to play with energy and emotion. What does it really matter what the nature of the sport is? Why should we keep it in and play the game in a way we don't care for? Yes I respect tradition, but I believe the game is somewhat evolving (especially in the Tiger era).

And as for the polos, I'll reiterate what I just said, we aren't so different as a team from other sports teams - so why not put names on the backs?
    My club allows a high school to practice and play during non-peak times. Why do I always see them throwing clubs and having tantrums?

Benguk, go for it. Get your polo shirts. It will serve as motivation for the teams you play against. No one wants to get beat by a team full of d-bags.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    My club allows a high school to practice and play during non-peak times. Why do I always see them throwing clubs and having tantrums?

Benguk, go for it. Get your polo shirts. It will serve as motivation for the teams you play against. No one wants to get beat by a team full of d-bags.
    Yep and they'll have to take it because we will beat them.

As for throwing clubs, that's simply not understanding how to control yourself. We show our emotions but as I said in the first post, we aren't club throwers.

Here's my take on the matter. If the players want to play with emotion and let it out there by cheerleading for each other in a way that could be construed as obnoxious by an opponent, then they should be willing to accept any and all heckling which results from this type of behavior, such as what happens at the FBR as Sooner mentioned.

One way or another, there has to be some sort of balance between emotional douchebaggery and being held accountable for said emotional douchebaggery. Here's an example - let's say the guy I'm playing just holed a clutch putt to square up the match with me, and in ultimate DB fashion starts gloating and trash talking my game to his teammates making sure I can hear it. The next hole with a water hazard - he's going for a swim.

That's what we call maintaining accountability. If someone acts like a DB, they get treated as such. I'd even take it so far as to make them cry in front of their parents and girlfriends, making sure to embarrass them so thoroughly that they would think twice about ever acting like a douchebag again, at least toward me.

There are already enough douchebags in the world. The golf course is no place to begin cultivating more of them.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

If I was in a team competition and one of the idiots I was playing with had a name and number on the back of his shirt, I would immediately think he's a ****ing idiot, and hope his school didn't pay to have those faggy shirts stitched.

A bunch of kids prancing around, making a bunch of noise, and looking like fools dosen't intimidate me in the least. It just makes me want to beat them even more.

The hard teams to beat are the ones that show up late, are quiet, and play like they don't give a ****.

You'll learn with age.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    If I was in a team competition and one of the idiots I was playing with had a name and number on the back of his shirt, I would immediately think he's a ****ing idiot, and hope his school didn't pay to have those faggy shirts stitched.

A bunch of kids prancing around, making a bunch of noise, and looking like fools dosen't intimidate me in the least. It just makes me want to beat them even more.

The hard teams to beat are the ones that show up late, are quiet, and play like they don't give a ****.

You'll learn with age.
    I've learned in the 5 years I've been on the team. We absolutely own our league, except for one team who is our rival. It's interesting that you and Horseballs have both brought up motivation when playing against dbags - I think motivation of that kind hurts players at this level. Wanting badly to beat your opponent because you think he is a douche makes every bad shot 10x worse and makes falling behind them on the scorecard overwhelming. In football you can hit harder - in golf, you'll simply start over-thinking and playing like ****. If anything, animosity towards us helps us - it gives us the mental advantage if we have immediately pissed off our opponents before we even start.

Yep and they'll have to take it because we will beat them.

As for throwing clubs, that's simply not understanding how to control yourself. We show our emotions but as I said in the first post, we aren't club throwers.
    I learned the hard way about temper tantrums and golf equipment. Several years ago, I was playing with a nice set of forged irons and chunked a PW shot, blowing a chance for an easy par or possible birdie. I slammed it down into the turf, and discovered that there was a small rock in the dirt, covered by the grass. It left a very noticeable horizontal scratch on the sole of the club, deep and rough enough to be really annoying. I ended up replacing the club because knowing that there was a gouge in the sole would have affected me "north of the ears" when using the club, wondering if the irregularity was going to grab the turf in an unpredictable way. This wasn't a minor scratch. It was a noticeable gouge.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I learned the hard way about temper tantrums and golf equipment. Several years ago, I was playing with a nice set of forged irons and chunked a PW shot, blowing a chance for an easy par or possible birdie. I slammed it down into the turf, and discovered that there was a small rock in the dirt, covered by the grass. It left a very noticeable horizontal scratch on the sole of the club, deep and rough enough to be really annoying. I ended up replacing the club because knowing that there was a gouge in the sole would have affected me "north of the ears" when using the club, wondering if the irregularity was going to grab the turf in an unpredictable way.
    Nice opportunity for a segway. I'll take it since it is unanimous that wearing jerseys and rah-rah-ing is retarded behaviour.
    I've never under this shiny club mentality. My short irons look like they've been dragged behind a car and I don't give a solitary damn. Dorkman, a question: Ironcovers?
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Nice opportunity for a segway. I'll take it since it is unanimous that wearing jerseys and rah-rah-ing is retarded behaviour.
    I've never under this shiny club mentality. My short irons look like they've been dragged behind a car and I don't give a solitary damn. Dorkman, a question: Ironcovers?
    Guilty as charge, your honor. After I plunked down the bucks for my forged irons, and knowing that I am a notorious club ho who likes to get new equipment every year or two, you bet I'm going to use covers. My Scratch irons look gorgeous after a season of use, with only very minimal sole and face marks of normal wear. My Wishons were in similar outstanding condition at the time I sold them. No dings other than caused by actual combat. It increases their worth on e-bay, believe me.
    Any criticism or ridicule will be summarily and enthusiastically ignored, thank you very much.

The neoprene Club Glove iron covers are easy to get on and off, don't tend to come off unexpectedly, and eliminate club chatter in transit and on the course.

I'm guessing Yes but only the odds.

I'll take it since it is unanimous that wearing jerseys and rah-rah-ing is retarded behaviour.
    Whether it's "retarded" or not doesn't matter, rah-rah team play seems to be a small (and possibly growing) part of golf now and I was commentating on how my team exemplifies it.

I've learned in the 5 years I've been on the team. We absolutely own our league, except for one team who is our rival. It's interesting that you and Horseballs have both brought up motivation when playing against dbags - I think motivation of that kind hurts players at this level. Wanting badly to beat your opponent because you think he is a douche makes every bad shot 10x worse and makes falling behind them on the scorecard overwhelming. In football you can hit harder - in golf, you'll simply start over-thinking and playing like ****. If anything, animosity towards us helps us - it gives us the mental advantage if we have immediately pissed off our opponents before we even start.

What happens when you run into opponents who have a high degree of mental discipline - ones who don't react emotionally to the shenanigans?

I'm one of those people, and when I see my opponents trying to play a little gamesmanship like that to rile me up it tells me one thing - my opponent is mentally weaker than me if they believe that sort of behavior is getting in my head. That gives me a string to pull on, and more often than not a guaranteed way to get inside their heads and unravel them from the inside out by simply not giving them what they want - which is for me to become emotionally invested in beating them.

Instead, I like to act really ho-hum after every great shot I hit, and give off the obvious vibe of indifference to the opponent. Conveying the appearance that my emotions and my play are outside of my opponents realm of control does more to piss them off than anything. I deny them the satisfaction of having any influence on the outcome of the match other than how well they play their own game.

It's also a sound tactic to observe which shots are giving them the most trouble that day and simply raise the bar on them by being better than they are at those shots on that day. Look for exploitable weaknesses in their games, play the one-up game and let them develop their own emotional handicaps. Show some sympathy for their plight along the way to really get that emotional inadequacy splinter to really start festering. They'll fall apart faster than Chinese electronics.

If you ever have to play against opponents with the same type of emotional discipline, you may find yourself handing them the keys to victory if you fail to provoke them.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

Whether it's "retarded" or not doesn't matter, rah-rah team play seems to be a small (and possibly growing) part of golf now and I was commentating on how my team exemplifies it.
    Don't pay any attention to HB's comments on this, Ben. He and Omen's wive's have to hang up 10 Glade air fresheners in the bathroom alone so that HB and Omen can continue to believe the lie that their shite don't stink.

Dorkman, whether you ignore it or not, I have to say it -- iron covers are a major b!tchmove.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    What happens when you run into opponents who have a high degree of mental discipline - ones who don't react emotionally to the shenanigans?

I'm one of those people, and when I see my opponents trying to play a little gamesmanship like that to rile me up it tells me one thing - my opponent is mentally weaker than me if they believe that sort of behavior is getting in my head. That gives me a string to pull on, and more often than not a guaranteed way to get inside their heads and unravel them from the inside out by simply not giving them what they want - which is for me to become emotionally invested in beating them.

Instead, I like to act really ho-hum after every great shot I hit, and give off the obvious vibe of indifference to the opponent. Conveying the appearance that my emotions and my play are outside of my opponents realm of control does more to piss them off than anything. I deny them the satisfaction of having any influence on the outcome of the match other than how well they play their own game.

It's also a sound tactic to observe which shots are giving them the most trouble that day and simply raise the bar on them by being better than they are at those shots on that day. Look for exploitable weaknesses in their games, play the one-up game and let them develop their own emotional handicaps. Show some sympathy for their plight along the way to really get that emotional inadequacy splinter to really start festering. They'll fall apart faster than Chinese electronics.

If you ever have to play against opponents with the same type of emotional discipline, you may find yourself handing them the keys to victory if you fail to provoke them.

FON
    We wouldn't act this way if we couldn't back it up. We don't care about what our opponents think of us (within reason), and whether they are mentally disciplined or not doesn't matter much. It's a win-win situation - we get to be ourselves, and sometimes it gives us the step up if it gets to our opponents. I don't think our opponents will somehow step up their game if they think we are dbags, and even if they do, we have the talent to match them.

We wouldn't act this way if we couldn't back it up. We don't care about what our opponents think of us (within reason), and whether they are mentally disciplined or not doesn't matter much. It's a win-win situation - we get to be ourselves, and sometimes it gives us the step up if it gets to our opponents. I don't think our opponents will somehow step up their game if they think we are dbags, and even if they do, we have the talent to match them.
    Please provide a link to your teams W/L record. I guarantee you guys are getting crushed on a weekly basis. Isn't your coach embarassed by this rah-rah crap?
    We've already have a roadmap to beating down an opponent, and nowhere does it say to put on team uni's and backslap.
    Search Matchplay Strategies. Try out some of those moves during your next match and you'll start to see some W's pile up.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Only my personal view, but I thought Caddy Shack displayed the kind of ettiquette I'd like to see on a glf course. Obvious cheating aside, playing loud music, hitting up on slow groups, telling the guys in front to hurry up while standing over their ball on the first tee, caling a bet on a putt on the 18th loud enough for everyone in the beer garden to gather around, sledging and getting your mates to yell "Miss it" while your opponent stands over the winning putt are all things I'd like to see alot more of on the golf course. Being so precious that you need complete silence to hit a shot is a b!tchmove.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

This sounds just like something an old fart would say but nevertheless I feel it is right.
    You're mentality here is evident; it is to win at all cost. You are not to be blamed for this as it is the way of the world, and the way nearly all previously "gentlemanly" sports have gone in recent years.
    Golf has somehow survived to this point as a game of honor, where you call penalties on yourself, and play all opponents in the spririt of sportsmanship and fairplay.
    It would truely be a shame if golf went this way as well; but as you say the game is evolving.
    Some of the true icons of the game, Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Sam Snead, etc. etc. I'm sure would say that good sportsmanship towards an opponent is more important than winning. I know it is old fashioned, but this attitude did not stop these players from being some of the best golfers ever to grace the game, and some of the most respected also.
    The game has a long tradition which should not be ignored or put aside in this modern dog eat dog world.
    You're golf team, or any players for that matter will only succeed long term if you honor the game as you should, and not feel you can do as you like.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Please provide a link to your teams W/L record. I guarantee you guys are getting crushed on a weekly basis. Isn't your coach embarassed by this rah-rah crap?
    We've already have a roadmap to beating down an opponent, and nowhere does it say to put on team uni's and backslap.
    Search Matchplay Strategies. Try out some of those moves during your next match and you'll start to see some W's pile up.
    Our coach doesn't care, he is retired and is only still the coach because he wanted to finish through my senior year.

Most of the coverage of our team is in the Journal News or the Enterprise (local), and they don't appear to archive our stats on their websites. We were 8-2 in our league last year (and 5-2 out of league - but that basically doesn't matter), with both league losses coming to our rival (who lost their best player going into next year). We have a good chance at going undefeated this season.

So Benguk,

Why come back after all these years? Been secretly monitoring things over the years and saw they are putting on new mods so you thought you'd come back and throw your hat in the ring for the next round of promotions?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    So Benguk,

Why come back after all these years? Been secretly monitoring things over the years and saw they are putting on new mods so you thought you'd come back and throw your hat in the ring for the next round of promotions?
    Haha no, we just ordered the shirts and this topic came to mind so I decided to post it here. Why did they replace mods?

I'm one of those people,

FON
    Uhhhh. Didn't you state previously that if someone was a dickhole, that you would push them in the next water hazard? (providing, of course they weren't bigger than you, and with a tighter shirt.} Either way is a sound strategy, however
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Why are some of you seppos givin Ben are a hard time and trying to get on your moral high horse about this topic? Forgotten the 99 Rder Cup aready?

Not trying to take any moral high ground myself here mind you. Personally, I thought the US team's green stomping and hootin and hollerin while some greasy wop from the Euro team is waiting to putt is completely acceptable, if not exemplary, behaviour. I'm just pointing out that soap boxes can get a little slippery when lathered with hypocrisy.

The percentage of white trash here in the US grows by leaps & bounds every day. Lets have wrestling matches on the 18th hole......to be followed by Nascar & a tractor pull at the clubhouse. We could have that sack of sh.t Larry the Cable Guy as a starter. The culture of golf or anything in America has died off. It has been replaced by folks who are tardos. So for all you tardos why dont you suck a fart out of my @ss and choke on it! Hows that for culture and tradition....nuff said

Have you ever heard of "capitalization," or the punctuation marks called the "apostrophe" or the "period?"
    Note: these were in wide use BEFORE texting was invented, and are STILL utilized by literate people........
    What difference does my poor grammar make when I was merely trying to get my feeling's on the matter accross. The point you've made has been noted but in its self what's your point?
    Smell your mum

or wd u prefr dis go fuk ursel cun.ty chops
    Smell your mum

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    Uhhhh. Didn't you state previously that if someone was a dickhole, that you would push them in the next water hazard? (providing, of course they weren't bigger than you, and with a tighter shirt.} Either way is a sound strategy, however

Yep, sure did. I'd push them into the hazard in front of their parents and GF, hopefully making them cry. Wouldn't hurt my feelings in the slightest. I can guarantee I'd play better after a good laugh like that.

Also, the bigger they are, the slower they run. Can't kill what you can't catch.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

Quote Originally Posted by KoolCat
    Generally, fist pumping and celebrating in golf is a huge b!tchmove. However, I think in a team environment (Ryder Cup, High School Golf, College Golf) there is no problem with getting pumped up and cheering for your teammates. As long as you respect the rules of golf and standards of etiquette. I like the idea of the numbered polo's. Make sure to go HorseBalls style and order them from Under Armor, black in color, and at least 2 sizes too small in order to accentuate the "guns". The intimidation factor should send your opponents crying for their momma's teat.

After 6 years on the Varsity Team, I'm surprised you are not going to play in college. What's up with that? Regardless, best of luck in your senior year. Of course, I'd rather see you go to a top notch school, such as The University of Florida, but at least you are going to an SEC school.
    Nothing to do with this thread but I just had to say that you have, by a f ucking mile, the best avatar on GR....Dinunzio is a childhood hero of mine, I only wish I could be half the man he was...
    continue with your important discussion....

Here's the thing Ben, and I'm only trying to help - if your guys go out and start cheerleading themselves, what happens if the other team outplays you on the first few holes? How do you respond if the other team manages to build an early lead on you?

If the cheerleading stops - they've won. What seems like silence to your team will be a deafening cheer to your opponent. They will immediately know that they have broken your spirit and they will close in for the kill.

Playing that emotional game may at times rally your team, but more often it will reveal the state of your team morale - it will betray your goals in the end by giving your opponent a significant advantage - knowing when to apply pressure.

Keep it all to yourselves and you will be better off as a team.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    This sounds just like something an old fart would say but nevertheless I feel it is right.
    You're mentality here is evident; it is to win at all cost. You are not to be blamed for this as it is the way of the world, and the way nearly all previously "gentlemanly" sports have gone in recent years.
    Golf has somehow survived to this point as a game of honor, where you call penalties on yourself, and play all opponents in the spririt of sportsmanship and fairplay.
    It would truely be a shame if golf went this way as well; but as you say the game is evolving.
    Some of the true icons of the game, Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Sam Snead, etc. etc. I'm sure would say that good sportsmanship towards an opponent is more important than winning. I know it is old fashioned, but this attitude did not stop these players from being some of the best golfers ever to grace the game, and some of the most respected also.
    The game has a long tradition which should not be ignored or put aside in this modern dog eat dog world.
    You're golf team, or any players for that matter will only succeed long term if you honor the game as you should, and not feel you can do as you like.
    With all due respect, Ben, if any, high school golf is not a big deal as it can be for other sports/games. The level of competion isn't very high or very serious.

The real competition is in USGA and AJGA events. I've been around plenty of those and there hasn't been a drop-off in sportsmanship. College coaches are always at these events for recruiting purposes and the kids know, it doesn't matter how good you are. If the coaches think you're a dick, they just don't want to have to deal with you for 4 years.

And these kids have to play together for 3-4 years. The dicks get ostracized pretty fast.
    GR lives...

Here's the thing Ben, and I'm only trying to help - if your guys go out and start cheerleading themselves, what happens if the other team outplays you on the first few holes? How do you respond if the other team manages to build an early lead on you?

If the cheerleading stops - they've won. What seems like silence to your team will be a deafening cheer to your opponent. They will immediately know that they have broken your spirit and they will close in for the kill.

Playing that emotional game may at times rally your team, but more often it will reveal the state of your team morale - it will betray your goals in the end by giving your opponent a significant advantage - knowing when to apply pressure.

Keep it all to yourselves and you will be better off as a team.

FON
    I think that's just one way of looking at it because IMO it never hurts us when we're emotional even when we're losing. We never stop working together when one of us falls behind (we play in fours, two on our team two on their team). Whether its anger or happiness, the way we act doesn't appear to ever hurt us.

What difference does my poor grammar make when I was merely trying to get my feeling's on the matter accross. The point you've made has been noted but in its self what's your point?
    You come across as an immature and ignorant person when you write an endlessly run-on sentence, using copious commas instead of ending the sentence when you start a new thought, which can be really annoying to readers, who are trying to follow what you are trying to say, but find it difficult because you go from one thought to another, but fail to end a ridiculously long sentence, making readers question your mental abilities, and wonder about the educational process that produces such an ignoramus, though obviously your parents deserve some of the blame, including failure to use proper contraception, which raises the question of whether they had religious scruples against birth control, or simply failed to use proper precautions, resulting in someone like you, much to their dismay and consternation.

You come across as an immature and ignorant person when you write an endlessly run-on sentence, using copious commas instead of ending the sentence when you start a new thought, which can be really annoying to readers, who are trying to follow what you are trying to say, but find it difficult because you go from one thought to another, but fail to end a ridiculously long sentence, making readers question your mental abilities, and wonder about the educational process that produces such an ignoramus, though obviously your parents deserve some of the blame, including failure to use proper contraception, which raises the question of whether they had religious scruples against birth control, or simply failed to use proper precautions, resulting in someone like you, much to their dismay and consternation.

See steviestuboy, dorkman is very fond of periods. I suggest you learn to use them on a regularly monthly cycle so as to avoid confusing dorkman, as this is how he is accustomed to dealing with periods.

Don't let his criticisms interfere with your style. He's just ragging on you, and as we all know - these things tend to pass in a few days.

It's just cramps...

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

See steviestuboy, dorkman is very fond of periods. I suggest you learn to use them on a regularly monthly cycle so as to avoid confusing dorkman, as this is how he is accustomed to dealing with periods.

Don't let his criticisms interfere with your style. He's just ragging on you, and as we all know - these things tend to pass in a few days.

It's just cramps...

FON
    GIVE ME CHOCOLATE...... NOW!!!

By the way, I knew it was inevitable that if the word "period" was used, it would evoke some junior high locker room humor. I wasn't disappointed. Here, have some fun with "shaft," "head," "grip," and "balls".......
    I'm sure there are some incredibly creative and original people out there......

Have some Vitamin-E rich sunflower seeds instead.

By the way, I knew it was inevitable that if the word "period" was used, it would evoke some junior high locker room humor. I wasn't disappointed. Here, have some fun with "shaft," "head," "grip," and "balls".......
    I'll leave shaft, head, grip, and balls alone. You're just coming off a period and I wouldn't want to anger you by intruding into your territory.

Your chocolate is en route, you should receive it momentarily. I may be a brave man, but I'm not stupid... I'm no match for hormones.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

So whats the moral of this then? I must try harder and you need chocolate. After reading this, to be fair i see what you mean. You guys will need to break me in gently, English was never my strongpoint at school. Now i think about it neither was attendance, you see unlike yourself i discovered the wonders of beer, minge and commas at an early age. Now to address the question about my parents religous beleifs, you know how us catholics do it....with alterboys so i will ask both my dad's(Father Johnston, and little Jimmy)
    Smell your mum

Oh no i just said you guys need to break me in gently, here goes.
    Smell your mum

Oh no i just said you guys need to break me in gently, here goes.
    Vaseline and foreplay are b!tchmoves. Bend over stevie.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I'd ride you like sea-biscut you cu.nt.
    Smell your mum

Such hostility and anger....ahhhhh how refreshing

Quote Originally Posted by Tee'd Off
    The percentage of white trash here in the US grows by leaps & bounds every day. Lets have wrestling matches on the 18th hole......to be followed by Nascar & a tractor pull at the clubhouse. We could have that sack of sh.t Larry the Cable Guy as a starter. The culture of golf or anything in America has died off. It has been replaced by folks who are tardos. So for all you tardos why dont you suck a fart out of my @ss and choke on it! Hows that for culture and tradition....nuff said
    Cool! Can I bring mi dawgs too?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redeckdogs.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	2253
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

And mi sisterbrother?
    Name:  yuch.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  6.9 KB
    team obnoxious

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    Cool! Can I bring mi dawgs too?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redeckdogs.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	2253
    That is one of the funniest pictures I've seen in a long time. I forwarded it to a lot of people. Thanks

That is one of the funniest pictures I've seen in a long time. I forwarded it to a lot of people. Thanks
    What're ya tryin ta say? You don't like my sisterbrother?......Yer Welcome!
    team obnoxious

I think motivation of that kind hurts players at this level. Wanting badly to beat your opponent because you think he is a douche makes every bad shot 10x worse and makes falling behind them on the scorecard overwhelming. In football you can hit harder - in golf, you'll simply start over-thinking and playing like ****. If anything, animosity towards us helps us - it gives us the mental advantage if we have immediately pissed off our opponents before we even start.
    I agree.

But only if you have a piss poor mental game.

Just to add:

Being EMO is a major drain of energy.

I agree.

But only if you have a piss poor mental game.
    True, but we're in high school so these players don't exactly have well a developed mental game yet.

True, but we're in high school so these players don't exactly have well a developed mental game yet.

I agree.

This includes yourself. If your little show bout bologna don't bother anyone, you're doing yourself more harm than good. And I don't think you're going to rattle the mind of a HS punk.

I agree.

This includes yourself. If your little show bout bologna don't bother anyone, you're doing yourself more harm than good. And I don't think you're going to rattle the mind of a HS punk.
    Yeah but I absolutely love it, and I get bored and tired if I don't keep myself pumped up. I guess that's a weakness in itself but I think the whole thing does more good than harm for me. If it hurts them, good - if it doesn't effect them - so be it.

Yeah but I absolutely love it, and I get bored and tired if I don't keep myself pumped up. I guess that's a weakness in itself but I think the whole thing does more good than harm for me. If it hurts them, good - if it doesn't effect them - so be it.

Ben,

I'm going to say what everyone else is thinking, and what most have been alluding to...

You still have a fair bit of growing up to do.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

Ben,

I'm going to say what everyone else is thinking, and what most have been alluding to...

You still have a fair bit of growing up to do.

FON
    Yeah I'm 17 what the hell do you think?

Yeah I'm 17 what the hell do you think?

I think I just busted your little cheerleading theory wide open. You've been rattled - easily.

Come on man, I know you're 17 and you know I didn't mean it like that.

You're not asking a bunch of 17 year olds for advice here - did you expect a different reaction?

Don't take it as an insult... look at it as a heads-up. In a couple years you'll be embarrassed to admit that you took offense to all the advice which YOU ASKED FOR. Nobody ever signed a guarantee ensuring that you'd like what everyone has to say. It's called adversity, and as you get older you'll find you have to deal with it a lot more than your life has currently prepared you for.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

I think I just busted your little cheerleading theory wide open. You've been rattled - easily.

Come on man, I know you're 17 and you know I didn't mean it like that.

You're not asking a bunch of 17 year olds for advice here - did you expect a different reaction?

Don't take it as an insult... look at it as a heads-up. In a couple years you'll be embarrassed to admit that you took offense to all the advice which YOU ASKED FOR. Nobody ever signed a guarantee ensuring that you'd like what everyone has to say. It's called adversity, and as you get older you'll find you have to deal with it a lot more than your life has currently prepared you for.

FON
    I didn't ask for advice, it was commentary; I was introducing a topic of discussion and it was made into an argument by those who replied. I'd never be embarrassed about reacting harshly to ignorance, lol. I know you didn't mean it insultingly but its sort of hard to decipher who is a hater here. Also, I think a few of you are misunderstanding me about the emotions - they are obviously not just positives. If we get pissed off, we get pissed off. But since we are high energy, each others success puts us back on the high.

I didn't ask for advice, it was commentary; I was introducing a topic of discussion and it was made into an argument by those who replied. I'd never be embarrassed about reacting harshly to ignorance, lol. I know you didn't mean it insultingly but its sort of hard to decipher who is a hater here. Also, I think a few of you are misunderstanding me about the emotions - they are obviously not just positives. If we get pissed off, we get pissed off. But since we are high energy, each others success puts us back on the high.

Look, in the end it's up to you no matter what the rest of us say here... so what's the point.

I think what most of us here are trying to say is that we all go into competition with the intention of winning, but if we have to compromise our own honor and lose the respect of our opponents, then have we really WON? I think most on here would agree that it is better to lose with honor and be respected than it is to win at any cost.

That's what golf is all about.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

Look, in the end it's up to you no matter what the rest of us say here... so what's the point.

I think what most of us here are trying to say is that we all go into competition with the intention of winning, but if we have to compromise our own honor and lose the respect of our opponents, then have we really WON? I think most on here would agree that it is better to lose with honor and be respected than it is to win at any cost.

FON
    There we go, that's exactly what this topic is really about. As oldplayer eluded to, our mentality really is "win at all costs". And what I was getting at in the OP was, is team play in golf becoming that in some respects? And that's where I think some teams are starting to take on a different approach to the style of golf competition. This does not, however, reflect non-team competition at all (which is what most golf competitions are). It isn't necessarily about honor to those teams (like mine), it's more about winning and only winning.

It isn't necessarily about honor to those teams (like mine), it's more about winning and only winning.
    If that's the case, then you need to go all out. Employ all of the legendary BPC match-play staregies, but you need to take it a step further. First of all, you and your team need to start a regimen of anabolic steroids. Blood doping (Lance Armstrong style) would also help.

Begin each match by screaming "You're going down muthafukka, You MY b!tch now!!!" directly in your opponents face as loud as you can.

When you defeat an opponent, throw him down on the green and dry hump him in front of his parents.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

If that's the case, then you need to go all out. Employ all of the legendary BPC match-play staregies, but you need to take it a step further. First of all, you and your team need to start a regimen of anabolic steroids. Blood doping (Lance Armstrong style) would also help.

Begin each match by screaming "You're going down muthafukka, You MY b!tch now!!!" directly in your opponents face as loud as you can.

When you defeat an opponent, throw him down on the green and dry hump him in front of his parents.
    Not often do I actually laugh out loud while reading this forum.

That was ****ing hilarious.

We all take HGH already

We all take HGH already
    Hahahaha. ****ing idiots.

Why?

Hahahaha. ****ing idiots.

Why?
    There isn't testing and the injections feel good. We wear long sleeves to cover up the needle marks.

There isn't testing and the injections feel good. We wear long sleeves to cover up the needle marks.

But your cool dude team polo's are short sleeve!

Oh noez!

But your cool dude team polo's are short sleeve!

Oh noez!
    It's called long sleeve undershirts.

^Gayness unintentional.

FON
    Really? Then sobbing like a little baby everytime I have to fork over a couple of dollars after I lose a round is a B!tchmove? I'm so embarrassed . . . . . . .

FON
    Sooo I guess I shouldn't have scuffed my opponents golf balls, let the air out of his cart tires, sprayed WD-40 on his club heads and wiped my a$$ with his golf glove when he wasn't looking?.....
    team obnoxious

Just ask Kiwi about how to do the haka. For those ignorant of rugby it's a maori war dance they do before the start of a game. Basically it's a bunch of big mean lookin dudes going completely psycho in the face of the opposition. Very intimidating when done correctly but don't think we'll see at at the Ryder Cup any time soon.

Do you think it would work with a bunch of skinny pimple faced high school age golfers?

Honestly,

If your just looking at the psychology of sport it could be good at certain times but it could as HB mentioned raise your appointments to a higher level.

For instance, most of the players that have beaten Tiger are very calm, wallpaper type players. He raises his game to a new level anytime he's playing against a DB. Do you think this is a coincidence?

I remember when I played soccer competitively. Our team always had a hard on for this team that had 3 top 100 national players. The coach, the team, and those players were a bunch of idiots and acted like DB's. Our team made it a special point to be extra sharp when we played them and we played very aggressive against them. If they weren't such db's and didn't give us a cause I think they fared better. I spoke to one of there players about 10 years later and he said they hatted playing us of all the teams in our district. We definitely played above our levels when we competed with them.

So as a captain you should try to identify the players that play poorly when you act like DB's and then try to identify the ones that raise the level of their game when you do. I know this might be a little mature for the age of your players but as you get into higher level of comps you have to learn to use psychology to your advantage. I never played golf as a team sport so I'm not entirely sure how this would compare to other competitive sports.

i might add one thing to this conversation although it seemed to deteriorate rather quickly...

ben, yeah it may work for your team, and as long as you are respectful of your fellow competitors i see nothing wrong with expressing your emotions, and being team oriented... but just keep in mind that not all people are like this, for instance i am pretty much as laid back a person as you will find, i honestly dont get worked up about much (in real life that is on here yeah idc so i just rant, and say things i know will get a reaction because its fun to watch other peoples responses) and so i would feel very much out of place on a team such as yours... just keep in mind that not all of the players on the team are gonna express themselves in the same manner so if someone isn't "pumped up" by your standards dont force them to act a certain way...

i say this because i played (and started in) club soccer, and high school soccer until i graduated... and most coaches would look at me and say that i had no killer instinct, but really i wanted to win and would always give 100% but i just didnt express it in the same way... i was the kid who would score from just outside the box upper 90's and simply walk back to midfield, and a lot of coaches i played for didnt like that... but its just not me to get all worked up i dont play my best... yeah i would smile, and it wasnt like i acted upset... its just different for some...

there will always be others different than you, just remember everyone has there own way...

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    i might add one thing to this conversation although it seemed to deteriorate rather quickly...

ben, yeah it may work for your team, and as long as you are respectful of your fellow competitors i see nothing wrong with expressing your emotions, and being team oriented... but just keep in mind that not all people are like this, for instance i am pretty much as laid back a person as you will find, i honestly dont get worked up about much (in real life that is on here yeah idc so i just rant, and say things i know will get a reaction because its fun to watch other peoples responses) and so i would feel very much out of place on a team such as yours... just keep in mind that not all of the players on the team are gonna express themselves in the same manner so if someone isn't "pumped up" by your standards dont force them to act a certain way...

i say this because i played (and started in) club soccer, and high school soccer until i graduated... and most coaches would look at me and say that i had no killer instinct, but really i wanted to win and would always give 100% but i just didnt express it in the same way... i was the kid who would score from just outside the box upper 90's and simply walk back to midfield, and a lot of coaches i played for didnt like that... but its just not me to get all worked up i dont play my best... yeah i would smile, and it wasnt like i acted upset... its just different for some...

there will always be others different than you, just remember everyone has there own way...
    One of our best players (who is actually our youngest), is VERY mellow, much like you have described yourself. We don't force him to be like us, but he seems comfortable on the team and enjoys playing with our team even though we don't act the same. I don't confuse it with him not being charged to win, though - I know he wants it just as bad as us.

I don't confuse it with him not being charged to win, though - I know he wants it just as bad as us.

yeah that's what i was trying to say... and as long as you keep it like that, i see nothing wrong with the way you conduct your team...

I thought I'd check back in now that the season has been wrapped up for about 2 months. The name on back polos turned out to be only positive for us, they were unique and from what I could tell no teams were scoffing at us for wearing them. And even if they did, **** them - we beat everyone we played and finished the season 16-0.

We won the league championship for the first time in 15 years and we did it the way we wanted, beating our rivals in the finale (the team that had beat us in the league championship last year).

I loved the attitude we brought to the game and finishing off my senior year this way was great after 6 years on this team.

Some pics of gear, etc:

so how do you know this Ben Schwartz guy?
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    so how do you know this Ben Schwartz guy?
    We just so happen to be the same person.

...interesting...

I try to be polite and mind my own game, but keep up with the pace of play.
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

Are the numbers next to the players' names their average score over par per 18 holes?

I would ask just one quesion of you Benguk. Do you play golf for the fun of the game or for the recognition? Are you trying to prove yourself to yourself or another? I play against the course and focus on my current shot. My mind is on my game and the fun that comes with it. When you start focusing on results or the recognition that comes with good results then you are a mark. Here fishy fishy! There are a lot of sharks out there in the deep water so come out of the shallows and see if you can survive As for my other players I maybe matched with they are a non factor because I focus on my game and not what they are doing. I respect the tradition of showing all respect to other players no matter what state of their game. If I'M fist pumping and ra-ra-ra'ing I'M focusing on results, and that tells me my focus is not where it needs to be and also the fact that I'M acting like an obnoxious twit!
    Last edited by Tee'd Off; 07-16-2010 at 11:39 AM.

I would ask just one quesion of you Benguk. Do you play golf for the fun of the game or for the recognition? Are you trying to prove yourself to yourself or another? I play against the course and focus on my current shot. My mind is on my game and the fun that comes with it. When you start focusing on results or the recognition that comes with good results then you are a mark. Here fishy fishy! There are a lot of sharks out there in the deep water so come out of the shallows and see if you can survive As for my other players I maybe matched with they are a non factor because I focus on my game and not what they are doing. I respect the tradition of showing all respect to other players no matter what state of their game. If I'M fist pumping and ra-ra-ra'ing I'M focusing on results, and that tells me my focus is not where it needs to be and also the fact that I'M acting like an obnoxious twit!
    There are a few marks around this place. One of them made the mistake of parading around his club telling all and sundry about his 68s and 70s, only to have his pants pulled down in his matchplay event by a wily old hustler. Like Benguk GA is also a young scrawny pimply faced pile of puke. These punks need to learn some hard lessons about the big bad world.

Dorkman, you use entirely too many commas. It breaks up the flow of your ideas.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Like Benguk GA is also a young scrawny pimply faced pile of puke.

Lets not get carried away.

I used to concentrate on the game itself and stress about doing everything right on the course. That led to me totally burning out and losing interest in golf. My interest got sparked back again mid-high school when I started caring about the competition and fun more than anything. The recognition of winning comes with that. In the grand scheme of things, none of us are ever going to play at a much higher level (except maybe our freshmen star who will probs play in college), so I don't see a problem with just going all out now and just going at it to beat our opponents. I definitely don't regret anything we did this season because ultimately we went undefeated and won the championship - frankly that's all I cared about.

It's called a "full stop" you cock, not a "period."

yup, f***ing hysterical!

Quote Originally Posted by mentaloaf
    Nothing to do with this thread but I just had to say that you have, by a f ucking mile, the best avatar on GR....Dinunzio is a childhood hero of mine, I only wish I could be half the man he was...
    continue with your important discussion....
    Hell, ML, DeNunzio himself was half the man he was...
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    And mi sisterbrother?
    Name:  yuch.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  6.9 KB
    Thank god for old age and poor vision.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

As a former collegiate and professional athlete, if you have to do all that to get pumped up to play golf, you have some major issues. Top players, for the most part, do not have to do any of that crap in any sport because they are so focused on their own performance and not worried about anything else but winning. Winning gracefully is called sportsmanship. Not sure what it is with people today having to be so in your face about every freaking thing. The fire of competiveness comes from within and a level of emotion is fine but being in the face of your opponents is just plain rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman
    As a former collegiate and professional athlete, if you have to do all that to get pumped up to play golf, you have some major issues. Top players, for the most part, do not have to do any of that crap in any sport because they are so focused on their own performance and not worried about anything else but winning. Winning gracefully is called sportsmanship. Not sure what it is with people today having to be so in your face about every freaking thing. The fire of competiveness comes from within and a level of emotion is fine but being in the face of your opponents is just plain rude.
    I totally agree with this. Congratulations on such a succint and concise post. You cannot argue with the truth of this statement. The only problem is the young won't listen. The culture of sportsmanship is not as it once was. The World is changing..........sigh.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I totally agree with this. Congratulations on such a succint and concise post. You cannot argue with the truth of this statement. The only problem is the young won't listen. The culture of sportsmanship is not as it once was. The World is changing..........sigh.
    Golf is a game of precision. The calmer you are, the more precise you are. Getting 'pumped up' cannot do anything but increase your distance, which causes IMPRECISION. Everyone talks about the guy who airmails the 18th green in competition because he's pumped and gets extra oomph into the ball.

I enjoy Ryder Cup cheering, in good spirit... Happy, respectful competitive nationalism, as it were, is harmless. But there's always a risk of intemperate 'in yo face' behavior, and the less we see of that, the better off golf is.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    Golf is a game of precision. The calmer you are, the more precise you are. Getting 'pumped up' cannot do anything but increase your distance, which causes IMPRECISION. Everyone talks about the guy who airmails the 18th green in competition because he's pumped and gets extra oomph into the ball.

I enjoy Ryder Cup cheering, in good spirit... Happy, respectful competitive nationalism, as it were, is harmless. But there's always a risk of intemperate 'in yo face' behavior, and the less we see of that, the better off golf is.
    You are correct, Grasshopper. Now, let's all sit down in a cross-legged position and resume our breathing exercises . . . . . . .

It comes from the need to feel greater than the majority of people resulting from actually feeling lesser than the majority of people.
    GR lives...

Thread Information