|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Best forged iron ever made

Here you go:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ping69.jpg 
Views:	591 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	2279  

Obviously you are extremely biased towards PING products. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but on behalf of the Mizuno fan-club here, we think that those are simply 'Piece-of-sh*t' (POS), Chinese-Sweatshop-Produced, Shovels.

Mizuno >Ping.

To reinforce my statement :

#1 : "There's nothing like a Mizuno." - a multitude of professional golfers.

#2 : Tiger switched to Mizuno irons after he realised what crappy clubs the Eye's were when he grew up. This also shows that for most people as you grow older you get wiser.

It's okay if you love Mr.Karsten so much you might not object to nibbling his testicles, I just like Mizuno better.

those are extremely rare, and worth a ton of money... but idk if they are the best forged iron set ever... i mean it really all preference anyways...

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Gotta be Mizuno. In the last 10-12 years, I,m embarrassed to disclose the clubs I,ve bought, and I always come back to Mizuno. I currently bag the best of both worlds. I sold my 60s and 57s and bought some mp 37 blades, that put a huge smile on my face whenever I hit them, hard to put these down. And some mx 23s I use to play years ago, and missed,cause I sold them, found some nice ones recently for spit on ebay, when my swing goes away, I can pick these up, and it all comes back.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

i heard a rumor that FD was has a ping branding from karsten himself you know where

Wow, the only word I can think of to decribe those Pings are "BALLNAMIC".
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizuno>Ping
    "...on behalf of the Mizuno fan-club here, we think that those are simply 'Piece-of-sh*t' (POS), Chinese-Sweatshop-Produced, Shovels.

Mizuno >Ping.
    First off, those were not made in China....they were made for Ping by Golf craft...Ping supplied the molds and that was one of three forged offerings Ping ever made...and those were all done in the early 1960's.

A good set, with moderate dents, scuffs etc could EASILY be sold today for $20,000 USD.

As far as good forgings today, almost anything that comes out of the Miura foundry is good quality....but costly.

Quote Originally Posted by indacup
    First off, those were not made in China....they were made for Ping by Golf craft...Ping supplied the molds and that was one of three forged offerings Ping ever made...and those were all done in the early 1960's.

A good set, with moderate dents, scuffs etc could EASILY be sold today for $20,000 USD.

As far as good forgings today, almost anything that comes out of the Miura foundry is good quality....but costly.
    Not to mention Mizuno.

By the way, I was referring to current PING models mass-produced on Chinese soil.

Not to mention Mizuno.
    I agree. We see rebuild and test hundreds of irons a year...and without a doubt, one of the most consistently quality heads we see are Mizunos...Everything from internal threading, loft/lie to spec...even chrome thickness uniformity is always top notch.

Sadly, with such high head standards, they finish them off with some of the most inferior shafts in the industry...kinda like framing the Mona Lisa with Legos.

By the way, I was referring to current PING models mass-produced on Chinese soil.
    I believe the thread was referring to forged irons...Ping hasn't made a forged iron in 45 years...so comparing over sea made casting products to forged is not fair.

[QUOTE=indacup]I agree. We see rebuild and test hundreds of irons a year...and without a doubt, one of the most consistently quality heads we see are Mizunos...Everything from internal threading, loft/lie to spec...even chrome thickness uniformity is always top notch.

Sadly, with such high head standards, they finish them off with some of the most inferior shafts in the industry...kinda like framing the Mona Lisa with Legos.

Inferior shafts ? I don't see Dynamic Golds and ProjectXs being inferior. Maybe you mean the graphite shafts.

Yes, I meant the Exsar graphite shafts.

They can't even hold my tomato plants up straight! LOL

Maybe I missed it. Whats your background indacup? Sounds like we have a real Industry guy in the house! So us Mizuno fans are fans for good reason!
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

I dont know about that, but the MacGregor Pro M looks sweet.

http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/upload...egor-Pro-M.jpg
    WitB 2010:

Dr: Titleist 907 D1, YS 6+ s flex
    3W: Cobra S9-1 F, , Aldila DVS HL s flex
    2H: Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree
    3i-pw Titleist 690 CBs, True Temper s300
    gw: Cleveland CG12 52 degree
    sw: Cleveland CG12 58 degree
    Putter: Ping Anser G2i
    Ball: Srixon Z Star/Bridgestone B330S

Other clubs:
    Dr: Callaway FT 5, Aldilia DVS s-flex
    5W: Cleveland Launcher Fuji E270 s flex
    3i - pw Mizuno MP 29, (planning to reshaft at some point).

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutter
    I dont know about that, but the MacGregor Pro M looks sweet.

http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/upload...egor-Pro-M.jpg
    Indeed.

OP, how do they feel, in comparison with Mizuno MP blade irons ?

Indeed.

OP, how do they feel, in comparison with Mizuno MP blade irons ?
    The Macs are nice, but really traditional style blade design.....very pretty looking but not made for 95% of the golfers out there....The Miz 68s are really sweet, a bigger face and lower COG that makes for a real nice lade look at address and in the bag...but a lot more forgiving than the Mac's.

The Mac is more closer to the Miz 37 (IMO) in regards of play and feel...the only area where I felt the Mac is maybe slightly better was the clubs seemed to impart a bit more backspin.

The Macs are nice, but really traditional style blade design.....very pretty looking but not made for 95% of the golfers out there....The Miz 68s are really sweet, a bigger face and lower COG that makes for a real nice lade look at address and in the bag...but a lot more forgiving than the Mac's.

The Mac is more closer to the Miz 37 (IMO) in regards of play and feel...the only area where I felt the Mac is maybe slightly better was the clubs seemed to impart a bit more backspin.
    No thank you on the offer for more backspin. My current Black Ni irons are reacting more than I want them to, and I have thus switched to a even lower ballflight and flatter swing plane.

I was just wondering whether they feel as soft as the MP-68s.

I have a soft spot for soft irons.

The Macs we hit were with the Dynamic Golds and they were not as soft or vibration free (esp. off off center hits) as the Mizunos....However, you know if they were properly fitted, spine aligned and slip in a sensicore in each one, the difference would have been much better.

The Mac's look like a standard blade from an open mold...really nothing special aside from the nice finish.

Never used them in the irons, but from experiene I can concur that these shafts suk arse in woods. If I am remotely interested in purchasing a Mizuno wood, the first thing I do is factor a shaft upgrade into the price. Usually puts them out of my range. Maybe they are designed for the Japanese market or something, but for real men with real clubhead speed Exsar's are the bottom of the heap.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Never used them in the irons, but from experiene I can concur that these shafts suk arse in woods. If I am remotely interested in purchasing a Mizuno wood, the first thing I do is factor a shaft upgrade into the price. Usually puts them out of my range. Maybe they are designed for the Japanese market or something, but for real men with real clubhead speed Exsar's are the bottom of the heap.
    You're not alone in that thought process....mostly because it's a mentality reinforced by the golf shop and OEM's.

They want you to think if you need an pgraded package you should purchase the club with one of their "upgraded" shaft options.

Unfortunately, the "Brandname" shafts they offer at an added cost (i.e. Aldila) are no where near the same quality as a true aftermarket shaft.

In otherwords, with most OEMs, when you buy off the rack with (lets say for conversation) and Aldila VooDoo shaft, they want you to think you're getting a $300 shaft for a price increase of $125.00.

Well, that "Factory VooDoo shaft" is no where near a true VooDoo shaft....you are paying more for a poor performing substitute.

We have compared those factory "upgrades" against true after-market counterparts and the differences between them are usually enormous...and insulting if you ask me.

I noticed LyleG is a member here...I know he can attest to these findings as well.

So, if you want a good driver/wood head and want a better shaft than offered from the OEM, I recommend you buy the cheapest shaft option and go to an unbiased club fitter and have him set you up with a low cost/higher quality alternative.

Theres many shafts at 1/5th the cost of some of these high end shafts that'll perform equally as well.

You're not alone in that thought process....mostly because it's a mentality reinforced by the golf shop and OEM's.

They want you to think if you need an pgraded package you should purchase the club with one of their "upgraded" shaft options.

Unfortunately, the "Brandname" shafts they offer at an added cost (i.e. Aldila) are no where near the same quality as a true aftermarket shaft.

In otherwords, with most OEMs, when you buy off the rack with (lets say for conversation) and Aldila VooDoo shaft, they want you to think you're getting a $300 shaft for a price increase of $125.00.

Well, that "Factory VooDoo shaft" is no where near a true VooDoo shaft....you are paying more for a poor performing substitute.

We have compared those factory "upgrades" against true after-market counterparts and the differences between them are usually enormous...and insulting if you ask me.

I noticed LyleG is a member here...I know he can attest to these findings as well.

So, if you want a good driver/wood head and want a better shaft than offered from the OEM, I recommend you buy the cheapest shaft option and go to an unbiased club fitter and have him set you up with a low cost/higher quality alternative.

Theres many shafts at 1/5th the cost of some of these high end shafts that'll perform equally as well.
    I've got the Mizi hybrids with the Exsar's but have a very slow swing speed. Around 87 - 92 mph driver speed. I went from the Cobra bafflers to these and although feel like I may Have lost a little distance am happy with them. Am I robbing myself of distance with these shafts????
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

LyleG was a member here but hasn't posted in quite a while. Most of the Mizuno fans on here are fans of the irons which tend to come with the stock DG S300 or something similar so I don't think there is a problem with quality there. However even the Mizuno fans generally don't rate the Mizuno woods very highly. I wonder if this is because of the rubbish shafts you are talking about?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I have a set of wilson staff blades from 1978 with stiff steel shafts that I am now using and some from the fifties that my dad used at one time. I also have some spalding blades from the fifties and some macgregor m2s from the early 60s which I used until 1978. Should I just get different shafts now that I am 64?

I am thinking of buying Mizuno mp 68s to get a more modern blade although I am not sure it would make any difference. Separately, what are the best metal woods these days with smaller sweet spot and not the big clunky looking head. I was given a G5 and really would prefer a persimmon driver although I cannot hit it over 270. Thanks for any input.

This is spot on and should be addressed by most golfers. indacup hit the nail right on the head. Most shaft manufactures try to build up a reputation soley to obtain a contract from a major company i.e. matrix just so that they can sell this 30$ POS shaft. The only ones that seem to come close are the TP shafts in the R9. The new VooDoo shafts in the cobras are a joke, just as soo many other. Companys are putting better names on their shafts but the quality sucks.

I agree with your comments on supposed factory 'upgrades'. My current driver had an 'upgraded' VS Proto, but in 65, which is not a legit aftermarket shaft as the real ones come in 60, 70 and 80. I have always bought drivers based on the head, then got aftermarket shafts put in by a clubfitter buddy. I used to like the Graf Blue in stiff, but my most recent purchase was the GD Pershing 75 stiff (and which I got for under $100 fitted). I really like it, what's your take on the Pershing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    LyleG was a member here but hasn't posted in quite a while. Most of the Mizuno fans on here are fans of the irons which tend to come with the stock DG S300 or something similar so I don't think there is a problem with quality there. However even the Mizuno fans generally don't rate the Mizuno woods very highly. I wonder if this is because of the rubbish shafts you are talking about?
    How could we trust someone who claimed to custom build golf clubs and bad mouthed Callaway and then bought a set of Callaway irons? I would trust TW more than LG, at least TW never said that he never phuck around

I think Lyle knew his stuff, but was very close minded to the opinions of others. He spent more time shitcanning others than actually saying anything constructive. But he gave me some good tips alng the way, and flaming is the GR way so not necessarily having a go.

Thread Information