|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Good Beginner Complete Golf Set

Hi everyone,
    So I'm in the market for a new complete set of golf clubs, Irons and clubs. I've been playing pretty inconsistently for the last year but now I am starting to play a lot more often so I want some new equipment since right now I am working with my grandpa's original set. So I was curious if anyone had some recommendations:
    - Should I buy a full new bag set?
    - Should I just buy a new set of irons and then individual clubs?

I am looking to spend between 300 and 500 dollars. I have been told to stay away from alien and wilson. would you agree?
    Thanks for the help!!
    Have a good one.

Welcome to the forum!

In order to help you best, more information is needed...one thing that IS constant is you need to be fitted for clubs....I recommend people get fitted either after they've achieved a certain level of swing consistency, either by repetitive play or lessons.

You can easily get fitted with a complete set, well withing the price point you have stated.

Quote Originally Posted by indacup
    Welcome to the forum!

In order to help you best, more information is needed...one thing that IS constant is you need to be fitted for clubs....I recommend people get fitted either after they've achieved a certain level of swing consistency, either by repetitive play or lessons.

You can easily get fitted with a complete set, well withing the price point you have stated.

The guy doesn't need to be fitted for clubs. Just get yourself a used set of Ping Eye 2's in black dot with the zz light shaft and you'll become a better player. The whole fitting idea is so overrated. Go to a golf store for your driver. Go to the launch monitor and have the so-called fitting experet let you know what loft and flex you need. Once you've figured out what driver you want, politely excuse yourself from the store and buy the driver in mint condition on Ebay for about 50% of what you would have spent in the store. The next day, go back to the store and hold up your Ebay club and say "Too bad BEEEYYYAATCH!!!!".

I can concur to stay away from Wilson if you are thinking fat shafts. Since dropping the Deep Reds from the bag my scores have improved by about 5 shots, but that hasn't been reflected in handicap just yet.

If you are looking for a nice easy SGI type set of clubs, I suggest you look at whatever Titleist are selling as 'player' clubs, as they are a a hackers club. Their current 'tour' iron, the AP2, is a real SGI POS paddle and would be perfect fo a beginner with no idea how to hit a golf ball.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Go get fitted, then take your specs and go on Ebay to buy yourself any set of irons in the MP line. You'll thank me later for giving you advice on how to drop 4 strokes off your score.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Sorry total novice what's the MP line?

Quote Originally Posted by sclaxplayer
    Sorry total novice what's the MP line?
    It's the Mizuno upper line for better players, and for wannabees who think playing clubs better than they are give them status.

WHATEVER you do, do NOT buy a "complete set" from China, on e-bay. They will 99.9999% likely be crappy counterfeits.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    It's the Mizuno upper line for better players, and for wannabees who think playing clubs better than they are give them status.

WHATEVER you do, do NOT buy a "complete set" from China, on e-bay. They will 99.9999% likely be crappy counterfeits.
    My god, is the guru and self appointed GR spelling nazi losing his grip?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    My god, is the guru and self appointed GR spelling nazi losing his grip?
    Yeah....I almost re-worked that sentence, but failed to do so, much to my eternal humiliation. Can ritual suicide be far behind?

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Yeah....I almost re-worked that sentence, but failed to do so, much to my eternal humiliation. Can ritual suicide be far behind?
    I can let one small typo slide, but I can't vouch for the rest of this heartless bunch we have here at GR.

Don't ever get a complete golf set because they are all absolute crap and you will hate them....unless your wife or girlfriend wants to spend more time with you by learning golf...get them one of these $hitty sets and they will surely give up within a few outings, and you can go back to enjoying golf with the fellas.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

So you'd advise just building a bag, with a set of irons, hybrids and clubs? Any adivse on what kind to look into for a beginner? aka a beginner price?

More than a dozen replies and I'm the first to provide a correct GR answer? What's this place coming to?

There's only one answer. Mizuno blades with 6.5 shafts.

It is good to see someone who's devoted to my courses where LAX used to be.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    More than a dozen replies and I'm the first to provide a correct GR answer? What's this place coming to?

There's only one answer. Mizuno blades with 6.5 shafts.

It is good to see someone who's devoted to my courses where LAX used to be.
    I am very disappointed.

You guys have someone here who is new and asking for real advice....and he gets in return this nonsensical, horrible advice...

C'mon, blades and 6.5 shafts????

I don't know if you are intentionally misleading him or if you think it's funny....or just an ass.

I cannot fathom why people would intentionally try to steer someone to make a costly mistake.

Sclax,

Since no one here has seen your swing or now you ability, I have to guess that you are in the embryonic stages of the game...and if you cannot get an instructor to take a peak at your swing and offer advice, allow me to provide some general recommendations.

For woods, you want a higher lofted driver and fairway woods...higher lofted driver, good for a beginner would be nothing less that 12*.....higher loft, the greater the spin....greater spin is more forgiving and usually, new players have a slower swing speed...so lean towards a softer flex shaft...with a softer tip.

Newer irons sets these days now offer Hybrid options....I HIGHLY recommend hybrids in place of longer irons...for the same reason I recommended higher lofted woods...Hybrids impart more spin, will get same distances as those hitting them with better skill...plus as a beginner you'll find yourself in more rough....the hybrids will help you out MUCH easier than irons.

When you select mid-lower irons, I would recommend irons with wider soles (which are more forgiving) as well as more perimeter weighting......you want a low COG (center of gravity) to assist you in getting the ball up in the air faster...

Please take my recommendations to heart (we've been fitting players for many years)....if you have any questions, please feel free to email me and I will help you select items that you can pick up locally or at sources like Ebay...at very low cost.

For some reason, some of the guys here seem to be having fun mocking you and joking around at your expense.....I hope it's just an isolated incident.

Best of luck!

I am very disappointed.

You guys have someone here who is new and asking for real advice....and he gets in return this nonsensical, horrible advice...

I don't know if you are intentionally misleading him or if you think it's funny....or just an ass.

I cannot fathom why people would intentionally try to steer someone to make a costly mistake.
    LOL Righto on all accounts....God luv ya zo......
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

I am very disappointed.

I've highlighted the relevant portion of your post. We don't explains jokes here. You either get it or you don't. Low social IQ's are tragic.
    GR lives...

Sclax,

Since no one here has seen your swing or now you ability, I have to guess that you are in the embryonic stages of the game...and if you cannot get an instructor to take a peak at your swing and offer advice, allow me to provide some general recommendations.

For woods, you want a higher lofted driver and fairway woods...higher lofted driver, good for a beginner would be nothing less that 12*.....higher loft, the greater the spin....greater spin is more forgiving and usually, new players have a slower swing speed...so lean towards a softer flex shaft...with a softer tip.

Newer irons sets these days now offer Hybrid options....I HIGHLY recommend hybrids in place of longer irons...for the same reason I recommended higher lofted woods...Hybrids impart more spin, will get same distances as those hitting them with better skill...plus as a beginner you'll find yourself in more rough....the hybrids will help you out MUCH easier than irons.

When you select mid-lower irons, I would recommend irons with wider soles (which are more forgiving) as well as more perimeter weighting......you want a low COG (center of gravity) to assist you in getting the ball up in the air faster...

Please take my recommendations to heart (we've been fitting players for many years)....if you have any questions, please feel free to email me and I will help you select items that you can pick up locally or at sources like Ebay...at very low cost.

For some reason, some of the guys here seem to be having fun mocking you and joking around at your expense.....I hope it's just an isolated incident.Best of luck!
    There is nothing wrong with giving this type of advice; as long as you are posting on shottalk or Golf discussions. But this is GR for gods sake!!
    You can tell you've only been around here a few minutes otherwise you would know how absurd the underlined statement is. If you keep up this type of approach you are gonna get heckled out of here. It is a GR tradition to give the type of advice to newbies the way Lorenzo did. You may not agree with it; but it has been going on as long as people have posted on here.
    If you don't get it I'm not sure this is the right place for you. You can't just rock up here and change the culture of the place. If you think you can you are misguided and wrong.
    Don't take this post as a put down, or antagonistic, just a piece of friendly education.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I've highlighted the relevant portion of your post. We don't explains jokes here. You either get it or you don't. Low social IQ's are tragic.
    Applying social I.Q. to an anti-social moron is like teaching latin to an ape..your attitude is pathetic,,,fine if you wanna insult me...most morons when confronted with intelligent conversation often result to name calling...good for you for not breaking away from the norm.

I am sad for the poor guy who genuinly wanted advice and you sh!t on him...I doubt if people treated you the same way when you wanted to learn.

But apparently you don't really give a sh!t about others.

I am very disappointed.

You make good points. I think I will become your ally/friend. I cannot come here often anymore; very busy as a licensed General Contractor (perhaps that led to my poor attitude here in my younger years)...

Inda, I have been banned from this forum more than 50 times, and I have been here over 10 years. No one will dispute this.

From the way you write, you couldn't give a rat's ass if I like what you say; I am just saying it. I know you don't care.

Sclax,

For some reason, some of the guys here seem to be having fun mocking you and joking around at your expense.....I hope it's just an isolated incident.

Best of luck!
    For all of you GR retards out there, this is what a helpful post looks like, jackasses.

You do NOT threadjack the helpful posts. Some guy who knows what he is talking about wanders in, and you kids act like retards.

Respect your elders!
    Last edited by spanqdoggie; 12-29-2009 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spanqdoggie
    For all of you GR retards out there, this is what a helpful post looks like, jackasses.

You do NOT threadjack the helpful posts. Some guy who knows what he is talking about wanders in, and you kids act like retards.

Respect your elders!
    I respect you wholeheartedly spanq......
    image0022.jpg
    team obnoxious

The irony of "Spanq" as the sanctimonious advocate of civility in posting on GR is rich beyond belief.

True. However, if INDACUP continues to post ONLY useful advice and REFUSES to post "nonsensical, horrible advice", ad-hominem attacks, and other nonsense, he may be in fact banned... Consider this a warning, indacup. You are now on double secret probation.

Quote Originally Posted by KoolCat
    True. However, if INDACUP continues to post ONLY useful advice and REFUSES to post "nonsensical, horrible advice", ad-hominem attacks, and other nonsense, he may be in fact banned... Consider this a warning, indacup. You are now on double secret probation.
    Secret Aaagent Man! Secret Aaagent Man!
    team obnoxious

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    Don't ever get a complete golf set because they are all absolute crap and you will hate them....unless your wife or girlfriend wants to spend more time with you by learning golf...get them one of these $hitty sets and they will surely give up within a few outings, and you can go back to enjoying golf with the fellas.
    Why ruin a good thing? Girlfriends and wives should be prancing around in sexy negligees at home waiting for their man to come home from a round of golf and beer with the boys. If they are not doing that, they need to be cleaning and cooking and asking her husband/boyfriend if she can get him another beer.

You guys get your priorities straight on women, will ya?

Spank and Indacup, you guys might want to try these . . . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I am very disappointed.

I was also a little disappointed with Zo's advice. If anything he was a little light on with his shaft recommendations. I would go for 7.0s or X100s in the old scale if you are talking blades.

P.S. DM, the complete double standards of Spank is not lost on any of us.
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 12-29-2009 at 04:01 PM.

back to the original question...buy older, quality cavity back irons with regular flex steel shafts, one hybrid, a 4 or 5 wood and a 12 degree driver, again, older quality brands. You need some degree of fitting if you are under 5-9 or over 6-2, otherwise standard length and lie should work until you get a swing that is more grooved.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesll9
    back to the original question...buy older, quality cavity back irons with regular flex steel shafts, one hybrid, a 4 or 5 wood and a 12 degree driver, again, older quality brands. You need some degree of fitting if you are under 5-9 or over 6-2, otherwise standard length and lie should work until you get a swing that is more grooved.
    James,

A word of warning. This type of common sense in posts will draw the attention of Koolcat. Sensible, serious posting is not tolerated in these parts, and Koolcat does a great job of maintaining GR's high standards.

James,

A word of warning. This type of common sense in posts will draw the attention of Koolcat. Sensible, serious posting is not tolerated in these parts, and Koolcat does a great job of maintaining GR's high standards.

AND, it's not even good advice for most people including me. But, then again, I have a dick . . . . .

Applying social I.Q. to an anti-social moron is like teaching latin to an ape..your attitude is pathetic,,,fine if you wanna insult me...most morons when confronted with intelligent conversation often result to name calling...good for you for not breaking away from the norm.

I am sad for the poor guy who genuinly wanted advice and you sh!t on him...I doubt if people treated you the same way when you wanted to learn.

But apparently you don't really give a sh!t about others.
    I'll have to take your word as to how morons perceive the world. It's one of the few areas where your qualifications are obvious.

You've wandered into a place requiring a sense of humor and a sense of security. Those qualifications you clearly lack. But stick around. Now that Larry doesn't post here any more, you may have a shot at replacing him..
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by spanqdoggie

Respect your elders!
    Spanq - who do you like in the NFL playoffs? Also, if you're a contractor, do you prefer beer or hard liquor before 10am on a workday?
    GR lives...

I was also a little disappointed with Zo's advice. If anything he was a little light on with his shaft recommendations. I would go for 7.0s or X100s in the old scale if you are talking blades.

P.S. DM, the complete double standards of Spank is not lost on any of us.

I got this guy confused with the one that liked women's clubs. So you're completely right about the shafts.
    GR lives...

I got this guy confused with the one that liked women's clubs. So you're completely right about the shafts.
    An understandable mistake. I hope this clears things up for him. It should probably also be pointed out to him that if he follows this advice he won't need to worry about unimportant stuff like lessons, as the mystical qualities of the acient Japanese forgings will improve his ball striking exponentially.

Thread Information