|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

HELP? Taylormade Burner 09 irons vs Taylormade R7 irons?

Hi peoples, it's been a while im back with a question for all you golfing nuts?

Im looking to upgrade my old irons and I am stuck between the Burner 09 and the R7 irons!
    I have read all the reviews and they both rate very highly, now a bit about me i shoot in the 90's I hit my irons longer then anyone i know ( 1 or two irons up on most golfers I know ) which makes me like the idea of the Burner irons but hitting long is good for your ego however it's not the most important aspect on the golf course, I can get a better deal on the R7's which is a added bonus.. Now for those of you which have other blades in their bag and want to tell me how good they are please just refer to the above mentioned irons.. any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers guys!

You're asking for trouble coming on GR asking players opinions on which is the better shovel.
    I am a live and let live kinda guy.
    Personally I cannot think of two sets less desirable to play. But if you want to bag these mass-produced POS thats your business and good luck to you.
    I would be very surpised if you get any useful responses. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
    Just because you shoot in the 90's is no reason to believe the hype about GI irons being good for your game.
    If you want genuine responses to your question I would suggest to take you it to a different forum.
    Good luck anyway but I would suggest you demo some forgiving "players" cbs.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

H

I dont agree with most of the posters here as i use shovels and regularly shoot in the 70's, however.

ALL Taylor Made irons are shite, sorry. The best shovels are made by Callaway, which is where i suggest you start looking.

Hope that helps

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!
    Name:  Chopper shovel.jpg
Views: 3001
Size:  26.2 KB
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Quote Originally Posted by andylocky6

Im looking to upgrade my old irons and I am stuck between the Burner 09 and the R7 irons!
    I have read all the reviews and they both rate very highly, now a bit about me i shoot in the 90's I hit my irons longer then anyone i know ( 1 or two irons up on most golfers I know ) which makes me like the idea of the Burner irons but hitting long is good for your ego however it's not the most important aspect on the golf course, I can get a better deal on the R7's which is a added bonus.. Now for those of you which have other blades in their bag and want to tell me how good they are please just refer to the above mentioned irons.. any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers guys!
    To save some time here, I just highlighted the really important errors of your post and will deal with them.

First, with hundreds of different sets represented by dozens of different companies, you are never "stuck" between two sets. As both OP and Edgey have honestly told you, Taylormade irons suck. I can tell you from experience that the R7s will not better your game because I played a set for 6 months and still own them, but I will never play them again (gave them to my hacker brother who plays a total of 6 times a year to play with.) Are you just wanting to go out and hit golf balls with some sticks? Is your purpose in your golf game to just go out and flash the OEM brand of Taylormade around your hacker buddies? Do you want to actually get out of the 90s and improve your game? If you can answer yes to the first two questions, then go ahead and buy one of these sets (and I would recommend the cheapest one because neither one is going to improve your game) and be done with it. If you can answer yes to the third question, then you don't need to be buying either of these sets, you need to buy some player's CBs or blades and get out and practice. Neither of these sets will give you the feel required to learn to hit the ball correctly. If you have a naturally good swing (and you don't because you are golfing in the 90s) then you can buy whatever set you want and it will not matter.

Secondly, they rate high with who? If you have guys golfing in the 100s and 90s posting reviews on how good they are, do you really accept this as good reviews? These clubs are geared towards hackers that golf in the 100s and 90s so that they can hit the golf ball longer and be satisfied with golfing in the 100s and 90s because they at least hit the ball further -- forget the fact that they are likely hitting the ball into hazards and OB.

Thirdly, let me combine a couple of the highlights here -- you "golf in the 90s" so don't be telling everyone here to "only refer to the above mentioned irons." You don't know shite if you're still golfing in the 90s, but you come on here already set to buy a couple of shitey sets of clubs! You just need to ask what the best set would be to help you get out of the 90s and REALLY improve your game which would NEVER involve the GAME IMPROVEMENT irons you chose. So, basically, STFU and listen to good advice instead of coming on here and acting like you already know what you need!

Finally, you refer to "other blades in the bag" as if the R7s and Burners can be classified in this category. NEVER, and I repeat, NEVER refer to your OEM shovel GI iron pieces of shite as "blades" because they are most certainly not even close to that classification!! "Blades" would actually help you to swing the golf club correctly and would teach you something about your swing and truly improve your game. The clubs you are set on buying will do NOTHING for your game.

Now, I know you will certainly do what you were already set on doing whenever you posted this thread, so go ahead. Just, please, allow me to play through you on the course whenever I hit my drive down the middle of the fairway and am ready to hit again while you are looking for your mishit ball in the brush.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

"other blades"...???

ditto Sooner... R7s aren't even FORGED, let alone blades.

that said, I hit R7tp model not long ago and really liked it. But it isn't forged, not like my genuine professional quality highly rated Adams Idea Pro Forged, which although they are forged are definitely NOT blades.

I don't know if forged makes much of a difference nowadays, but I"m old, and it always made a difference before, ergo ipso facto it still does.

If you're asking about the diff between R9 and R7 and neither of the 'blades' you're talking about are the TP professional edition, then I must say I have no idea what you're talking about. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

There's very little difference between them. Get the R7's if they are cheaper. They both have strong lofts but the Burners may be EVEN STRONGER than the R7's which would explain if you are hitting them further. There is so little to choose between them I would get the one you prefer or if you have no preference get the one you can get a 'better deal on' the R7.

BTW ignore the bollocks being spouted by others. I have friends with 5-6 handicaps who play Taylormade irons/shovels so it's about the guy swinging the club more than the club itself.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    There's very little difference between them. Get the R7's if they are cheaper. They both have strong lofts but the Burners may be EVEN STRONGER than the R7's which would explain if you are hitting them further. There is so little to choose between them I would get the one you prefer or if you have no preference get the one you can get a 'better deal on' the R7.

BTW ignore the bollocks being spouted by others. I have friends with 5-6 handicaps who play Taylormade irons/shovels so it's about the guy swinging the club more than the club itself.
    I play off 9 (UK) and use Wide Soles . The best golfer at my club (+2) uses Callaway X22 Tour. Kiwi is correct, Tiger could use a set of Mizuno chop sticks and still shoot a 65.

Callaway still make the best shovels though

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

I have a friend that used to play MX23's and switched to Ping Raptures w/graphite shafts. Needless to say I gave him sh!t about it. He plays around a 4-5 hc.......I still lost respect for him.....
    team obnoxious

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    To save some time here, I just highlighted the really important errors of your post and will deal with them.

First, with hundreds of different sets represented by dozens of different companies, you are never "stuck" between two sets. As both OP and Edgey have honestly told you, Taylormade irons suck. I can tell you from experience that the R7s will not better your game because I played a set for 6 months and still own them, but I will never play them again (gave them to my hacker brother who plays a total of 6 times a year to play with.) Are you just wanting to go out and hit golf balls with some sticks? Is your purpose in your golf game to just go out and flash the OEM brand of Taylormade around your hacker buddies? Do you want to actually get out of the 90s and improve your game? If you can answer yes to the first two questions, then go ahead and buy one of these sets (and I would recommend the cheapest one because neither one is going to improve your game) and be done with it. If you can answer yes to the third question, then you don't need to be buying either of these sets, you need to buy some player's CBs or blades and get out and practice. Neither of these sets will give you the feel required to learn to hit the ball correctly. If you have a naturally good swing (and you don't because you are golfing in the 90s) then you can buy whatever set you want and it will not matter.

Secondly, they rate high with who? If you have guys golfing in the 100s and 90s posting reviews on how good they are, do you really accept this as good reviews? These clubs are geared towards hackers that golf in the 100s and 90s so that they can hit the golf ball longer and be satisfied with golfing in the 100s and 90s because they at least hit the ball further -- forget the fact that they are likely hitting the ball into hazards and OB.

Thirdly, let me combine a couple of the highlights here -- you "golf in the 90s" so don't be telling everyone here to "only refer to the above mentioned irons." You don't know shite if you're still golfing in the 90s, but you come on here already set to buy a couple of shitey sets of clubs! You just need to ask what the best set would be to help you get out of the 90s and REALLY improve your game which would NEVER involve the GAME IMPROVEMENT irons you chose. So, basically, STFU and listen to good advice instead of coming on here and acting like you already know what you need!

Finally, you refer to "other blades in the bag" as if the R7s and Burners can be classified in this category. NEVER, and I repeat, NEVER refer to your OEM shovel GI iron pieces of shite as "blades" because they are most certainly not even close to that classification!! "Blades" would actually help you to swing the golf club correctly and would teach you something about your swing and truly improve your game. The clubs you are set on buying will do NOTHING for your game.

Now, I know you will certainly do what you were already set on doing whenever you posted this thread, so go ahead. Just, please, allow me to play through you on the course whenever I hit my drive down the middle of the fairway and am ready to hit again while you are looking for your mishit ball in the brush.
    You tube Burner irons and see Nick Faldo hit his set of irons and then a set of burners... thats one pro a i seen hit them and rate them highly as well as other golf club reviewers on you tube give them the thumbs up.. yes they are a game improvement iron yes my swing is quite good.. to bad it takes me three putts a hole constuctive crtitisim is fine but maybe GOLFREVIEW.com isn't just that a golf review forum..

best advice yet, cheers mate

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    "other blades"...???

ditto Sooner... R7s aren't even FORGED, let alone blades.

that said, I hit R7tp model not long ago and really liked it. But it isn't forged, not like my genuine professional quality highly rated Adams Idea Pro Forged, which although they are forged are definitely NOT blades.

I don't know if forged makes much of a difference nowadays, but I"m old, and it always made a difference before, ergo ipso facto it still does.

If you're asking about the diff between R9 and R7 and neither of the 'blades' you're talking about are the TP professional edition, then I must say I have no idea what you're talking about. :-)
    I was refering to blades in other ppl's bags as opposed to the GI irons i was considering.. thanks for your help

Kiwi and Edgey, I'm interested in you answering this question: Knowing already that this guy golfs in the 90s, do you think immediately buying R7s or Burner irons will help him to get his scores down in the 70s, or in your honest opinion, do you think it will take practicing with some irons that give better feedback?

Edgey and Kiwi, I think you guys already had good swings to start with, or you grew up on some blades in order to have good golf games now before you started hoing the shovels (Edgey). I use to be where this guy is not too long ago and it didn't matter what set of GI shovels I played with (and I had some Callaway x-18s for 2 years, Edgey) I never got better than the high 80s. BUT, whenever I started playing with player's CBs and blades, I consistently started learning more about my swing and am so close to consistently breaking 80 I can smell it everytime I go out.

I'm not buying the "my swing is good, but my putting is bad" routine, either, because my putting is bad, too, but I golf in the low 80s. This kid needs a good set of forged player's CBs so he can get better. You guys quit filling him with bollocks!

You're friends with Kenny Perry?
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    I play off 9 (UK) and use Wide Soles . The best golfer at my club (+2) uses Callaway X22 Tour. Kiwi is correct, Tiger could use a set of Mizuno chop sticks and still shoot a 65.

Callaway still make the best shovels though

Edgey
    Rocco Mediate was playing X20s when he took the philanderer to 91 holes in the US Open.

And I don't mean X20 tours, which after all ARE forged. I mean regular old X20s.

I would give serious time to the X22 tour. It looks terrific when I set it on the floor in the golf shop. But as with most irons, it's all about the right shaft.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    You're friends with Kenny Perry?
    That's relative to the point I was trying to make -- guys that already have a sound golf swing, OR they started out their careers with blades, can play shovels and get by with it. Guys that are shooting in their 90s are not going to get much better playing shovels.

That's relative to the point I was trying to make -- guys that already have a sound golf swing, OR they started out their careers with blades, can play shovels and get by with it. Guys that are shooting in their 90s are not going to get much better playing shovels.
    There was another long winded thread about this a while ago....totally agree with sooner here, a 90s or 100s shooter should learn to groove some blades or playas CB's, then play shovels once their flaws are somewhat worked out. Guys who shoot 70's with POS shovels already know how to swing a proper golf club, so they can go from there.

I will give an honest opinion here, just for something different. I agree with the general consensus of this board that TM irons are POS hacker shovels. I also agree with Sooner that the way to improve your game is to get a set of players CB or blades (and get out on the practice green and learn how to putt). But if you want a club that is forgiving, but will still give you enough feedback to improve your game at the same time, I would be loking at something in the MX range. If you are talking brand new the MX 200 or 300 would fit the bill nicely. If you aren't fussed about second hand the MX20, 23 or 25 would be a good choice. Any of these clubs are infinitely superior quality to the TM paddles you are currently interested in, and all will serve you well as your game improves. And I can tell you from personal experience (I had the MX20s) the feeling you will get on pure shots cannot be compared to the dull, tinny nothingness you will get from the TM shovels. Edgey can back me up on this has he has used MX25s and raved about them.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by mentaloaf
    There was another long winded thread about this a while ago....totally agree with sooner here, a 90s or 100s shooter should learn to groove some blades or playas CB's, then play shovels once their flaws are somewhat worked out. Guys who shoot 70's with POS shovels already know how to swing a proper golf club, so they can go from there.
    There are hundreds of threads just like this one all over this forum because newbies come on here like this poster and ask the same questions, so, it starts all over again.

I must add, this newbie is definitely a GR review section 90s shooter. Hit's it long and straight but can't putt blah blah.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Kiwi and Edgey, I'm interested in you answering this question: Knowing already that this guy golfs in the 90s, do you think immediately buying R7s or Burner irons will help him to get his scores down in the 70s, or in your honest opinion, do you think it will take practicing with some irons that give better feedback?

Edgey and Kiwi, I think you guys already had good swings to start with, or you grew up on some blades in order to have good golf games now before you started hoing the shovels (Edgey). I use to be where this guy is not too long ago and it didn't matter what set of GI shovels I played with (and I had some Callaway x-18s for 2 years, Edgey) I never got better than the high 80s. BUT, whenever I started playing with player's CBs and blades, I consistently started learning more about my swing and am so close to consistently breaking 80 I can smell it everytime I go out.

I'm not buying the "my swing is good, but my putting is bad" routine, either, because my putting is bad, too, but I golf in the low 80s. This kid needs a good set of forged player's CBs so he can get better. You guys quit filling him with bollocks!
    Sooner I've read your story several times and I congratulate you. I'm glad that you have found clubs that have not only helped you groove your swing, lower your scores and also, more importantly, meet with almost universal GR approval (forged & blades!!!). Obviously for us GR Regulars that is paramount!

But different guys learn different ways and I don't buy into this idea that you have to hit forged players clubs to learn this game. Guys can learn the game and hone a decent swing using modern GI shovels. As I said I have friends who play with shovels who shoot consistently in the 70's. One guy I know plays with R7 CGB Max - a pig of a club if you ask me. However he plays solid, consistent golf with those clubs and regularly shoots in the 70's. If I, an occasional 70's shooter who usually shoots in the 80's, was to give him a sermon about how he should play forged players clubs or blades he would look at me as if I've lost my mind. He'd probably respond with "I'll take your advice when you can beat me on a regular basis - now fuk off hacker!" and he would be well within his rights.

So I think we should stop telling newbies that come on for advice about equipment that they need to go out and buy forged players clubs. Let them learn this game for themselves.

As for you Hacker, when you start practicing what you preach we might listen, but in the meantime whilst you play Wilson Fatshafts and Powerbilt shovels your posts will be ignored and treated with the contempt they deserve.

Now where the f#ck am I?

H

I dont agree with most of the posters here as i use shovels and regularly shoot in the 70's, however.

ALL Taylor Made irons are shite, sorry. The best shovels are made by Callaway, which is where i suggest you start looking.

Hope that helps

Edgey
    Yeap, Yeap, Yeap!!!! I am a hacker playing Callaway 2002 BB and X-16 (primary set) and I can keep up with most decent players... I am 59+ so I don't have distance anymore, I would be happy with 225-yd drive, my 5-iron is about 145-150... so I need to play smart without distance... Too many GR swear by Mizuno... no thanks, did not show me anything , sorry, I will stick with Callaway for the rest of my life... hahaha... Yes, I am a ****kkkkking hacker

Sooner I've read your story several times and I congratulate you. I'm glad that you have found clubs that have not only helped you groove your swing, lower your scores and also, more importantly, meet with almost universal GR approval (forged & blades!!!). Obviously for us GR Regulars that is paramount!

But different guys learn different ways and I don't buy into this idea that you have to hit forged players clubs to learn this game. Guys can learn the game and hone a decent swing using modern GI shovels. As I said I have friends who play with shovels who shoot consistently in the 70's. One guy I know plays with R7 CGB Max - a pig of a club if you ask me. However he plays solid, consistent golf with those clubs and regularly shoots in the 70's. If I, an occasional 70's shooter who usually shoots in the 80's, was to give him a sermon about how he should play forged players clubs or blades he would look at me as if I've lost my mind. He'd probably respond with "I'll take your advice when you can beat me on a regular basis - now fuk off hacker!" and he would be well within his rights.

So I think we should stop telling newbies that come on for advice about equipment that they need to go out and buy forged players clubs. Let them learn this game for themselves.

As for you Hacker, when you start practicing what you preach we might listen, but in the meantime whilst you play Wilson Fatshafts and Powerbilt shovels your posts will be ignored and treated with the contempt they deserve.
    Kiwi, I also know plenty of very low markers who play with POS hacker shovels like X20s and Pings. But they are older guys who have slowed down a bit, and every single one of them learnt the game in the days when blades were the only clubs around, and every single one of them was shooting in the low 70s with blades before the advent of shovels. It's the same as the argument that Larry put's up about Irwin and Pavin playing shovels. They both learnt how to play the game with baldes and only went to shovels when their chs slowed down. I don't know a single player who plays off single figures who has not at some stage played with blades or players CBs. Have a look at the juniors coming thorugh who are single cap players, they usually have a bag full of forged players irons. The only exception I can think of is women. The LPGA tour is obviously full of players who can break par and have never used anything other than cast SGI POS shovels. But that's because women don't generate enough chs to use blades or players CBs. They need the lower cg of shovels to get the ball in the air.

I think Sooner's argument holds up. If you want to become a better player, go get yourself a set of players irons. Once you have become proficient and have a decent swing, then think about getting shovels.

I have read all your posts and thanks too most for some feedback.. I still think a golfer can get better playing GI irons and a upgrade to TM from my first crap set ( top flite tour ) would be just that an upgrade in whatever capacity it is still a upgrade I have been looking for months for a new set and I have researched somewhat mainly over the net.. I enjoy playing golf and don't see why players who shoot in th 90's would want to make the game harder by playing players CB or blades cause' they simply are not as forgiving as GI irons.. I think it's BS that a player cant improve on GI irons before making the change to players CB or blades.. Why did Burner 09 get silver medal in golf digest if it was complete rubbish.. Hacker! yes I can hit long and straight no im not as consistant as I would like to be and yes my scores would be 5 - 8 shots better if I was any good around the green and could putt.. Putting to me is the hardest part to master..

I have read all your posts and thanks too most for some feedback.. I still think a golfer can get better playing GI irons and a upgrade to TM from my first crap set ( top flite tour ) would be just that an upgrade in whatever capacity it is still a upgrade I have been looking for months for a new set and I have researched somewhat mainly over the net.. I enjoy playing golf and don't see why players who shoot in th 90's would want to make the game harder by playing players CB or blades cause' they simply are not as forgiving as GI irons.. I think it's BS that a player cant improve on GI irons before making the change to players CB or blades.. Why did Burner 09 get silver medal in golf digest if it was complete rubbish.. Hacker! yes I can hit long and straight no im not as consistant as I would like to be and yes my scores would be 5 - 8 shots better if I was any good around the green and could putt.. Putting to me is the hardest part to master..
    It is obvious that you are not posting here to listen to to reason, but instead are already intent on purchasing some GI POS. Good luck to you and post back whenever the new irons have knocked 4 strokes off your game.

What did Faldo use to win all his majors? The answer is Mizuno GFF blades. You didn't think Faldo built his major winning swing with shovels did you? So Faldo supports Sooner's argument, not yours.

It is obvious that you are not posting here to listen to to reason, but instead are already intent on purchasing some GI POS. Good luck to you and post back whenever the new irons have knocked 4 strokes off your game.
    Like I said i am open to constuctive critisism but all you gave me was BS

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    What did Faldo use to win all his majors? The answer is Mizuno GFF blades. You didn't think Faldo built his major winning swing with shovels did you? So Faldo supports Sooner's argument, not yours.
    Obviously Faldo is a better golfer then I am so blades are the ideal set of clubs for him.. you just contradicted yourself.. GI irons are perfect for the novice golfer.. Simple thread turned on it's head by golfers who think that their **** don't stink..

Thats too funny. I too have been playing the topflite tour midsize irons and have liked them very much. I (for christmas) just got a set of mp-68 blade irons. I got them on the same idea that it would give me the feed back to improve my game. I had been playing topfites tours for over 10 yrs now and wanted to try something different. I recently braved the winter cold and no wind and went to range. I m not quite the ball striker i thought I was but not totally off. I hit the high irons well enough ( but lose some distance) but dont do as well as the lower irons(3,4,5). I can tell im off on my strike by the spin the ball takes when it hits the ground or it fades or draws unintentionally, but this is what i wanted to help me get a better swing and therefore a better game, but it will not improve my game overnight in fact i will most likely not like them for awhile. I think I will eventually come to like them as I use the feed back to help me hit a more pure shot that once i have accomplished that I will be able to move the ball left or right and put it where i wish to at least that is my goal.

Quote Originally Posted by riddle326
    Thats too funny. I too have been playing the topflite tour midsize irons and have liked them very much. I (for christmas) just got a set of mp-68 blade irons. I got them on the same idea that it would give me the feed back to improve my game. I had been playing topfites tours for over 10 yrs now and wanted to try something different. I recently braved the winter cold and no wind and went to range. I m not quite the ball striker i thought I was but not totally off. I hit the high irons well enough ( but lose some distance) but dont do as well as the lower irons(3,4,5). I can tell im off on my strike by the spin the ball takes when it hits the ground or it fades or draws unintentionally, but this is what i wanted to help me get a better swing and therefore a better game, but it will not improve my game overnight in fact i will most likely not like them for awhile. I think I will eventually come to like them as I use the feed back to help me hit a more pure shot that once i have accomplished that I will be able to move the ball left or right and put it where i wish to at least that is my goal.
    you got 8 years on me as far as playing golf goes and yes one day in the not to distant future I'm sure I'll play Blades too.. Don't get me wrong Topflite has served me well but an upgrade is needed

thats what I'm trying to say. I dont know how much help going to another cavity back will have on your game. Maybe try a spilt cavity back like nike victory red spilt cav back, titleist ap1 or ap2, mizuno mp-58, that may give you more feedback. I ve been told that that cavity back are very forgiving but to improve your game you want not only club with good feel but feed back and one that lets you have the ability to move the ball more easily for a fade or draw.

Quote Originally Posted by riddle326
    thats what I'm trying to say. I dont know how much help going to another cavity back will have on your game. Maybe try a spilt cavity back like nike victory red spilt cav back, titleist ap1 or ap2, mizuno mp-58, that may give you more feedback. I ve been told that that cavity back are very forgiving but to improve your game you want not only club with good feel but feed back and one that lets you have the ability to move the ball more easily for a fade or draw.

He's not posting here to receive good information and advice, he's here to post his encouragement on our choices for his POS GI irons he posted. You're not going to get it here, newbie, go to shitetalk or golfwax . . . . . .

Obviously Faldo is a better golfer then I am so blades are the ideal set of clubs for him.. you just contradicted yourself.. GI irons are perfect for the novice golfer.. Simple thread turned on it's head by golfers who think that their **** don't stink..
    You used Faldo as an example of a good player who uses shovels. I pointed out that Faldo learnt how to play golf using blades, which is evidence that supports Sooner's (and mine) argument that you need players irons to improve your swing, but once you are good enough you can get good results with shovels. Please explain how I contradicted myself.

You used Faldo as an example of a good player who uses shovels. I pointed out that Faldo learnt how to play golf using blades, which is evidence that supports Sooner's (and mine) argument that you need players irons to improve your swing, but once you are good enough you can get good results with shovels. Please explain how I contradicted myself.

He has POS GI irons in his sight and his dick is hard . . . . . he's not listening to reason . . . .

you got 8 years on me as far as playing golf goes and yes one day in the not to distant future I'm sure I'll play Blades too.. Don't get me wrong Topflite has served me well but an upgrade is needed
    Don't want to burst your bubble, but TM shovels are a definite downgrade from what you have now.

H

ALL Taylor Made irons are shite, the best shovels are made by Callaway
    Watch this clip Edgey and learn, from a Callaway stalwart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNCdz...eature=related

Now where the f#ck am I?

He has POS GI irons in his sight and his dick is hard . . . . . he's not listening to reason . . . .
    Don't take it personally Sooner ...

Now where the f#ck am I?

Watch this clip Edgey and learn, from a Callaway stalwart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNCdz...eature=related
    Was that big Dave Perkins hitting balls on the range? Or just his doppleganger. Anyway, back to the video. So TM cast CB SGI POS chopper shovels are better than Cally cast CB SGI POS chopper shovels. What's your point?

Was that big Dave Perkins hitting balls on the range?
    I dunno but I think I saw Larryrsf on the range.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I refrained from reading any other posts prior to replying so that I don't go off on some wild tangent. Anyway, I think the R7 or R7 TP would be a good choice. I think you can pick up the standard R7's on Ebay for around $300 in near new condition. TP's are a lot more. The Burner 09 looks terrible to me and the shafts are longer than standard. You don't need more distance and I think the Burner 09 is built for just that.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I refrained from reading any other posts prior to replying so that I don't go off on some wild tangent. Anyway, I think the R7 or R7 TP would be a good choice. I think you can pick up the standard R7's on Ebay for around $300 in near new condition. TP's are a lot more. The Burner 09 looks terrible to me and the shafts are longer than standard. You don't need more distance and I think the Burner 09 is built for just that.

Your lucky you didn't read some of the posts.. thanks for your input I found a new set of R7's on Ebay for $419.. still looking though not something I wanted to rush into and now my head is full of the other crap from other posts im not so sure anymore.. Thanks again

He's not posting here to receive good information and advice, he's here to post his encouragement on our choices for his POS GI irons he posted. You're not going to get it here, newbie, go to shitetalk or golfwax . . . . . .

You no what Sooner I worked it out... They bring in these GI irons which are more forgiving on off center hits, they hit longer they are easier to hit basically, so now the novice golfer has an distinct advantage over his counterparts including you.. So while your whinging with your ball in the woods on your 4 or 5 miss hits a game ( estimation ) I find the fairway with my GI more often even with my 8 - 12 miss hits a game... it's nearly cheating wouldn't you say.. I understand what your saying about becoming a better golfer you may need to hit blades to actually see where your at as a golfer.. but I didn't ask for an opinion on Gi vs blades I asked a simple question for simple people Burner vs R7 one word or no word answer woould of been great.

What's your point?
    I'm just responding to Edgey's claim that Callaway make the best shovels and that Taylormade irons are shite.

Prior to discovering the purity of GFF with the MP-30/33's I loved my old R7 TP's and thought they felt great. During the time I owned them I rented Callaway Fusions (not the Widesole version) and X-18's and whilst I played Ok with them I thought they were dull, hard, unfeeling POS irons in comparison to the R7 TP's.

That's my point.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Those guys can even hit Kmart irons, so what now?

I will give an honest opinion here, just for something different. I agree with the general consensus of this board that TM irons are POS hacker shovels. I also agree with Sooner that the way to improve your game is to get a set of players CB or blades (and get out on the practice green and learn how to putt). But if you want a club that is forgiving, but will still give you enough feedback to improve your game at the same time, I would be loking at something in the MX range. If you are talking brand new the MX 200 or 300 would fit the bill nicely. If you aren't fussed about second hand the MX20, 23 or 25 would be a good choice. Any of these clubs are infinitely superior quality to the TM paddles you are currently interested in, and all will serve you well as your game improves. And I can tell you from personal experience (I had the MX20s) the feeling you will get on pure shots cannot be compared to the dull, tinny nothingness you will get from the TM shovels. Edgey can back me up on this has he has used MX25s and raved about them.
    I've got the MX200's and love them although after experimenting with the old 70's 6iron blade I have I can see eventually buying something more of a players cavity back just to groove the swing a little more.
    team obnoxious

I can confirm that the MX25 are excellent clubs and forgiving enough for 90% of golfers. I would whole heartedly recommend them to anyone off any handicap.

Edgey

Hate to burst your bubble Sooner, not listening to you and not listening to reason are not the same same thing.

All the best

Edgey

Poor forum

Is this the best advice that you can muster? A bunch of fan boys being belligerent about products that they have most probably never even swung.
    The initial thread was more than justified in asking a reasonable question with which he had preferences to which clubs he/ she was leaning towards. If you haven't got any constructive comments then don't waste your, their or my time spamming miscellaneous twaddle as in the end it serves to help no-one.
    I would've been interested in reading useful comments but as it is this site seems to be riddled with pillocks who rather than help people, spend their pitiful little lives contradicting objective debate. Well done them!
    If they we're as wonderful as they think surely I'd be watching them at St. Andrews as we speak? I'm guessing most of you with such high and mighty opinions aren't even journeymen golfers. Before I digress to the same state that most of the previous posters seem to find acceptable, I would like to remind people that golf is intended to be a pleasurable pastime where you can chill with friends whilst participating in healthy competition. You need to get back to basics then maybe you wouldn't all be so far up your own arses you may even smile once in a while.
    I'm off to find a decent forum where people are more willing to give other people some assistance rather than spouting their own subjective crap.
    Whilst on, this site could really do with some decent moderators to stop this overt fanboy spamming. You've lost a willing contributor before I've even had chance to look around. Too bad. Hope the people here eventually get chance to grow up.
    All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by itsmee
    Is this the best advice that you can muster? A bunch of fan boys being belligerent about products that they have most probably never even swung.
    The initial thread was more than justified in asking a reasonable question with which he had preferences to which clubs he/ she was leaning towards. If you haven't got any constructive comments then don't waste your, their or my time spamming miscellaneous twaddle as in the end it serves to help no-one.
    I would've been interested in reading useful comments but as it is this site seems to be riddled with pillocks who rather than help people, spend their pitiful little lives contradicting objective debate. Well done them!
    If they we're as wonderful as they think surely I'd be watching them at St. Andrews as we speak? I'm guessing most of you with such high and mighty opinions aren't even journeymen golfers. Before I digress to the same state that most of the previous posters seem to find acceptable, I would like to remind people that golf is intended to be a pleasurable pastime where you can chill with friends whilst participating in healthy competition. You need to get back to basics then maybe you wouldn't all be so far up your own arses you may even smile once in a while.
    I'm off to find a decent forum where people are more willing to give other people some assistance rather than spouting their own subjective crap.
    Whilst on, this site could really do with some decent moderators to stop this overt fanboy spamming. You've lost a willing contributor before I've even had chance to look around. Too bad. Hope the people here eventually get chance to grow up.
    All the best.
    Well thanks for taking the time to post that. That'll really help the guy decide between the Burners and the R7's.

If that doesn't do it, nothing will!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Is this the best advice that you can muster? A bunch of experienced players being honest about GI technology that they have most probably never even benefited from.
    The initial thread was more than justified in asking a reasonable question with which he had preferences to which clubs he/ she was leaning towards. If you can't shelter and coddle a newbie then don't waste your, their or my time trying to enlighten us as in the end it serves to help only those who are open-minded.
    I would've been interested in reading useful comments but as it is this site seems to be riddled with experienced players who try to help people, spending their valuable time contradicting mainstream brainwashing. Well done them!
    If they we're as wonderful as they think surely I'd be watching them at some old goat track with crappy weather as we speak? I'm guessing most of you with such valuable insight aren't even challenged to break 80. Before I digress to the same state that most of the previous posters seem to encourage on GR, I would like to remind people that golf discussion is intended to be a pleasurable pastime where you can chill with friends whilst participating in flaming, trolling, and otherwise enjoyable dialogue. You need to get back to basics like Larry then maybe you wouldn't all be so far up your own arses you may even smile once in a while.
    I'm off to find a decent forum where people are more willing to give other people a reach around rather than telling it like it is.
    Whilst on, this site could really do with some less sensitive new posters to stop this overt whining and crying. You've lost a willing contributor before I've even had chance to look around. Too bad. Hope the people here eventually get chance to chill out and shoot the breeze.
    All the best.
    Fixed your post.

Now...

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

I would've loved to have contributed constructively however I too was also looking for similar information. I just pointed out that the first 15 replies had no bearing to the question whatsoever and I lost interest after that.
    So sadly, I am not in a position to help andylocky6, however I would've been more than happy to if I could have done.

Hehe. Not bad for a 1st attempt at humour. Well done =)

I would've loved to have contributed constructively however I too was also looking for similar information. I just pointed out that the first 15 replies had no bearing to the question whatsoever and I lost interest after that.
    So sadly, I am not in a position to help andylocky6, however I would've been more than happy to if I could have done.

The information you seek is easily obtainable by simply going to the golf shop and hitting a few demo irons. None of us are in a position to tell you which you'll like better since we know almost nothing about your game, your swing, your preferences, etc... you're better off trying to answer those questions for yourself.

Also, how a club plays is going to be greatly affected by the shafts in them, and how well they match your swing speed, tempo, and release. Most of the members on this site are on the enthusiast side of the spectrum and are unlikely to be playing any club straight off the rack - let alone play game improvement irons right off the rack. Hope that helps you understand.

Stick around. This is a fun place to hang out if you don't take yourself too seriously. If you can give as good as you get then you'll fit right in.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Hehe. Not bad for a 1st attempt at humour. Well done =)
    If you stick around long enough you eventually get the info you are after. Just bring a thick skin and a sense of humor!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Was that big Dave Perkins hitting balls on the range? Or just his doppleganger.
    uh, no. I've got six inches and a hundred pounds on that guy.

as a reminder.....

state of my game... from Dave Perkins on Vimeo.

Last edited by daveperkins; 07-16-2010 at 02:56 PM.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

ok andylocky, unlike most others here i actually like tm golf gear.As you see in my sig, i play macgregor mt mids, becuase they perform very similar to the r7's but feel better(to me and were way cheaper). i have not hit the burners but played with a guy last week who was off 8 who had them and i asked what he thought. he loved them but did mention the r9's felt better but were not as forgiving. a regular playing partner in my group has mp 62's which i have hit and the feel is way above most other irons i have hit. lately i have been playing to a 16 - 18 hcap ( my iron play over the last month is the best it has ever been) so i'm thinking of getting mp52's , in other words taking the next step. My current irons are already similar to the mx200's in size and spec etc so i want something that is at a different level and if it doesn't work out i figure i will know what type of club(gi,players etc) will suit me. I think you need to get something that looks and feels good to you and maybe base your decison on where you want your game to go.
    your welcome
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    ok andylocky, unlike most others here i actually like tm golf gear.As you see in my sig, i play macgregor mt mids, becuase they perform very similar to the r7's but feel better(to me and were way cheaper). i have not hit the burners but played with a guy last week who was off 8 who had them and i asked what he thought. he loved them but did mention the r9's felt better but were not as forgiving. a regular playing partner in my group has mp 62's which i have hit and the feel is way above most other irons i have hit. lately i have been playing to a 16 - 18 hcap ( my iron play over the last month is the best it has ever been) so i'm thinking of getting mp52's , in other words taking the next step. My current irons are already similar to the mx200's in size and spec etc so i want something that is at a different level and if it doesn't work out i figure i will know what type of club(gi,players etc) will suit me. I think you need to get something that looks and feels good to you and maybe base your decison on where you want your game to go.
    your welcome
    Nice post Rooboy but I hope Andylocky has already made a decision by now since this thread is 6 months old.

Now where the f#ck am I?

thats ok kiwi - it was really just to convince myself that i need a set of mp52's!!!
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Thread Information