|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Let it all hang out....

Ok, for your viewing displeasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA3emrQSAPw

Yes I have a very short backswing

Here are my excuses:

When I was 23 I broke my neck, crushing my C1 and C2 vertebrae (I was paralyzed from the neck down for five days). They are now fused together restricting my ability to turn my head from side to side. If I turn my shoulders too much I can no longer see the ball.

A skiing accident left my left ankle with very little twisting range of motion so I have to address the ball with my left toe pointing about 45 degrees toward the target or I cannot turn through the shot.

Both of these injuries limit my backswing.

The first shot looked long so I hit the second a little easier.

OK then... let the flaming begin
    Last edited by clmax; 04-15-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clmax
    Ok, for your viewing displeasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA3emrQSAPw

Yes I have a very short backswing

Here are my excuses:

When I was 23 I broke my neck, crushing my C1 and C2 vertebrae (I was paralyzed from the neck down for five days). They are now fused together restricting my ability to turn my head from side to side. If I turn my shoulders too much I can no longer see the ball.

A skiing accident left my left ankle with very little twisting range of motion so I have to address the ball with my left toe pointing about 45 degrees toward the target or I cannot turn through the shot.

Both of these injuries limit my backswing.

The first shot looked long so I hit the second a little easier.

OK then... let the flaming begin
    Considering that, it looks pretty good. I have a friend who broke the same vertebrae going off of a jump on a bicycle, and he landed on his head; he was not athletically inclined but I feel bad since I tried to get him to learn...

They drilled into his forehead and added steel and stuck him suspended in a hospital bed so his head wouldn't move...

The doctors told him (I forgot) that he could stay like that for six months or have a dangerous surgery. Some gun slinger doctor flew in and performed a rare surgery that involved cutting the front of his throat, instead of the back of the neck, and operated from the front; it worked.

Apparently he has ZERO problems after all that.

He was treated at UCSF and they get these professors that like to try new treatments and stuff... He has since gotten married and has a kid, and is doing very well.

clmax, that is one SERIOUS injury. You could have been killed. My friend was extremely close to being killed; they said he almost hit some nerve that controls breathing or something... He is around 45 years old now. He was around 30 when it happened.
    It's not my fault God made me this beautiful.

Well. With your explanation, sounds like you should be grateful you have a back swing at all.

Glad you healed so well from all that. Make what you have work, and enjoy the game my friend.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

spanq-
    Yes, I am very grateful and I realize how lucky I am. The surgeon in La Crosse saw that my spinal cord was not severed. He sent me to Mayo Clinic where they fixed me up pretty good. I wore a halo for six months. It's been 20 years now.

Thanks for the props guys.

Yeah I've been through alot, but is there really any excuse for those socks?

There is really nothing wrong with a shorter swing at all. You should have a bit more control over your swing than most who try to take a full swing or overswing.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

spanq-
    Yes, I am very grateful and I realize how lucky I am. The surgeon in La Crosse saw that my spinal cord was not severed. He sent me to Mayo Clinic where they fixed me up pretty good. I wore a halo for six months. It's been 20 years now.

Thanks for the props guys.

Yeah I've been through alot, but is there really any excuse for those socks?
    Don't even get me started on your attire.

One word - COLOR.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Hello Alan Doyle. Welcome to GR. You've lost a bit of weight and gotten a bit younger since I last saw you on the Cart Tour.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    Even with the short backswing, it really looks like you put some heat on it at impact,

Good on ya!

SMT 455db 9* - Accuflex VS339 X
    Sonartec SS-03 - TT DG S400
    KZG Forged Blades 3-PW - Rifle Project X 7.0
    KZG Forged Raw 52*, 56*, 60* - Rifle Spinner 6.5
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x
    Cash for the beer cart and a quarter to mark my ball

@ Horseballs
    I can only dream of someday having the accuracy of Alan Doyle.

@ Jeff
    Yep, I can generate some clubhead speed even with that short backswing. I just have to be careful not to be to quick at the top.
    Last edited by clmax; 04-16-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Here is a 5 iron off the first tee to a back right pin about 195 yards. This is a down the line view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikZUn1S6KQc

Oh, the clubs are Bridgestone J33 combo irons. Yes, they are forged.

That swing looks serviceable enough for amatuer golf. Sort swings don't mean less power, as Larry will tell you most golfers leave their weight on the right foot, and an overly long swing makes it much harder to post (threw post in just for you Larry) onto a firm left side. S&T also has a shortish backswing but generates plenty of power. Maybe with your physical issues and natural swing you have now S&T may be a good way to go.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I like the swing. Businesslike, no wasted motion, the complete OPPOSITE of my own swing. :-) almost all my motion is wasted, including any movement of my fingers on a keyboard trying to get LORENZO to post a swing video....

nice pop in the five iron...
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Hi

Swing looks pretty good taking your injury into account. Whats your handicap?

What the f uck is with you Yanks and those f ucking shorts man. You look like an old dosser, although i accept by way of excuse you were on the range. Do you play on the course like like that?

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

My handicap is 10.3 at the moment. My lowest last year was 7.6.

This is not a range. The course I'm playing here is the little par 3 course where I learned the game (this is my 6th year playing golf). It plays from 75 to 220 yards. It is pretty open and often windy. As you noticed, it is a lighted course where I can play till 10:00PM. I can often play 18 holes in 2 hours here after dinner.

On a tangent here, while practicing a couple weeks ago, I ran into an old friend who had a FLIP video camera. He was always telling me how short my swing was. In my mind, my swing looks like J. B. Holmes' swing. He filmed me and I said, "Wow, that is a short backswing!" A few days later, I ordered a VADO HD video recorder.

I had just signed up there ($35 for one month of unlimited play) because my 20-week league was going to start up and after a very rainy winter my play was rusty (I was shooting in the 90s again). I wanted to be able to play near my hcp at the end of last season (which was 10.6).

Depending on the course, sometimes I do dress like that. I always wear shorts. I'm in Houston, Texas. The temps are upper 90s and the humidity often higher. I grew up in Wisconsin - with this heat, I'd play in my underwear if they'd let me.

I'm not sure what a dosser is (translation Dave?), but I'm going to assume it is along the lines of tosser or wanker. At 44, I'm not feeling old (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    I like the swing. Businesslike, no wasted motion, the complete OPPOSITE of my own swing. :-) almost all my motion is wasted, including any movement of my fingers on a keyboard trying to get LORENZO to post a swing video....

nice pop in the five iron...
    Thanks Dave. I actually posted my swing because of your challenge to some GR'ers to post. I figured you guys would go all GR on me with that swing. I guess my excuses found a way to the kinder, gentler side if GR ...shame on you all!!!!

Give me a shout next time you come to Houston.

Thanks Dave. I actually posted my swing because of your challenge to some GR'ers to post. I figured you guys would go all GR on me with that swing. I guess my excuses found a way to the kinder, gentler side if GR ...shame on you all!!!!

Give me a shout next time you come to Houston.
    I certainly will :-)

btw I have a fusion of C5, 6 and 7 from a motorbike wreck in the '80's... but unlike you, I can't use it as an excuse... because it doesn't impede me from any of the wrong moves I make. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Having fun now... Driver on a real golf course:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDOdmgUugJc

My video set up is a creative VADO HD. I found a slick little camera mount for my Sun Mountain Speed Cart:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cam_mount 001_sm.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	2407

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cam_mount 002_sm.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	2408

short back swing but great distance ... you got to love it.... Where do you play in Houston? I go to Houston just about every Xmas because my in-law lives there... I play at Houston national, Bear creeks, Cypreswoods (my favorite) , Tour 18 (Humble, also my favorite), Longwood or something like that, sometime we play at Lake Heron because it's close by..., also I like Kingwood CC

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    short back swing but great distance ... you got to love it.... Where do you play in Houston? I go to Houston just about every Xmas because my in-law lives there... I play at Houston national, Bear creeks, Cypreswoods (my favorite) , Tour 18 (Humble, also my favorite), Longwood or something like that, sometime we play at Lake Heron because it's close by..., also I like Kingwood CC
    You should try Black Horse, they have two courses out on the northwest side of Houston, nice place...

I have a friend who's a member at Kingwood, they've got six or seven courses I think..... Bear Creek is always a little rough but it's okay for a pure public course.. Cypresswood is great, three courses and usually in great shape, and out in the woods without houses around... Longwood is okay, never played Tour 18 and now that I live up here in DFW I probably won't... I think we have one here, but there's also a course near one of the DFW lakes where 'each hole is a copy of a famous one', not a tour 18 course but kind of like that.

We have a 'Bear Creek" in DFW too, public course with two 18s and membership for discounted rates, which I have... not expensive and although each course has a couple of sheite holes, overall they're a couple of good 18s...
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

I live on the Southeast side of town. I play Timber Creek, The Battleground, Beacon Lakes, Clear Creek, Evergreen Point, Bay Forest. Look me up, I need an excuse to play some courses on the other side of town.

On that driver shot you can see me open my left foot mid swing. I forget to open it on my preshot sometimes, but the wincing pain has me subconsciously correcting for it.

I live on the Southeast side of town. I play Timber Creek, The Battleground, Beacon Lakes, Clear Creek, Evergreen Point, Bay Forest. Look me up, I need an excuse to play some courses on the other side of town.

On that driver shot you can see me open my left foot mid swing. I forget to open it on my preshot sometimes, but the wincing pain has me subconsciously correcting for it.
    Next time I come down for more than a day --my usual trip, down in the morning, back at night :-( -- I"ll let you know and we'll squeeze in a round somewhere different.. :-)

I know the wince.. whenever I warm up, I have to endure ten or twelve spastic lunges trying to protect my left knee and my right elbow, and then the endorphins kick in and those things don't hurt as much and I can get on with it.. but the first few swings of the day really SUCK on many levels.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

I'm not sure what a dosser is (translation Dave?), but I'm going to assume it is along the lines of tosser or wanker. At 44, I'm not feeling old (yet).
    A dosser in Ireland is a person who avoids gainful employment and usually depends on charity to survive. Hostels that provide free or very inexpensive accommodation are 'doss houses.' It may have something to do with initials such as "department of social services" or somesuch, I"m not sure of the provenance of it.

In the states we would use the term "lazy selfish b@st@rd", but I admit the extra syllables are unwieldy.

He is insulting our fine cargo shorts by implying that wearing them is proof of poverty and perhaps of low character as well. If we could understand him we'd feel insulted by what he says, but Edgey is a fine manifestation of the sentiment inherent in the expression, 'two nations divided by a common language'.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    You should try Black Horse, they have two courses out on the northwest side of Houston, nice place...

I have a friend who's a member at Kingwood, they've got six or seven courses I think..... Bear Creek is always a little rough but it's okay for a pure public course.. Cypresswood is great, three courses and usually in great shape, and out in the woods without houses around... Longwood is okay, never played Tour 18 and now that I live up here in DFW I probably won't... I think we have one here, but there's also a course near one of the DFW lakes where 'each hole is a copy of a famous one', not a tour 18 course but kind of like that.

We have a 'Bear Creek" in DFW too, public course with two 18s and membership for discounted rates, which I have... not expensive and although each course has a couple of sheite holes, overall they're a couple of good 18s...
    Yes I heard of Black Horse but have not played there yet. We only play the Masters course at Bear Creek . I know that in Dallas you guys also have Bear Creek but not from the same corporation. You guys also have Tour 18 in Dallas but I have not played there yet. IMO, I like Cypresswood and Tradition better than Kingwood. As you can tell, we play mostly in the north side of Houston, Never had a chance to play in the South East side of Houston. I always wanted to play at the Memorial , at least for one time, but it's tough to get T-time for out-of-town players

Thread Information