|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Walter Hagen Irons

I just won these beautiful OLD irons on Ebay. I can't even tell you how many sets of Hagen irons and woods I cleaned when I worked at a country club back in the mid-70s.
    Thank God for Ebay!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WalterHagenIrons4.jpg 
Views:	614 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	2441  

They look gorgeous, but you are not a newbie...

Come clean with all of us; what is your history here at GR or other forums?
    It's not my fault God made me this beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyLee
    I just won these beautiful OLD irons on Ebay. I can't even tell you how many sets of Hagen irons and woods I cleaned when I worked at a country club back in the mid-70s.
    Thank God for Ebay!!
    I want to see the back of these irons!
    Driver - Cleveland Launcher 09 12
    4 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 17
    Hybrid - Mizuno FLI-HI CLK 20 23
    Irons - Mizuno MP-32 5-PW
    Wedges - Mizuno MP GW/SW/Cobra LW
    Putter - Mizuno Bettinardi BC1

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    I think they are seventies Ultrdyne irons. I had a set. Quite nice but difficult to hit.

Thank God for Ebay!!
    Didn't Kmart sell those for $89.99 and then at $59.99 during blue light specials?

Quote Originally Posted by exodus_john
    I want to see the back of these irons!
    Here you go, they look sweet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WalterHagenIrons5.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	2443   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WalterHagenIrons2.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	2444  

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Didn't Kmart sell those for $89.99 and then at $59.99 during blue light specials?
    Dream On Butthead!!

Dream On Butthead!!
    Who is your daddy?

I do not appreciate this disrespect.

I asked you a question, bish!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spanqdoggie
    Who is your daddy?

I do not appreciate this disrespect.

I asked you a question, bish!!!!
    You're so damn funny Spankdoggie, you crack me up!!

I've been here before and at doublegolf and usually leave due to the BS that flies around, You know most posters drive it 300 yards plus, hit their 5 irons 220 and know everything about golf.

I have enjoyed your postings for quite sometime. You get banned and come back with another name, time and time again. You make these forums fun amid all the BS.

Do you remember Besson?? I may of spelled it wrong. Who was his partner in crime??

Anyway take it easy Spank, you're a riot!!!

P.S. No disrespect intended, I got busy.

I've been here before and at doublegolf and usually leave due to the BS that flies around, You know most posters drive it 300 yards plus, hit their 5 irons 220 and know everything about golf.

I have enjoyed your postings for quite sometime. You get banned and come back with another name, time and time again. You make these forums fun amid all the BS.

Do you remember Besson?? I may of spelled it wrong. Who was his partner in crime??

Was it Benguk or Bethpagecaddy?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Cool! Have a look at this 2008 thread when I bought a Walter Hagen Ultradyne II iron sets.

Enjoy it!

Cool! Have a look at this 2008 thread when I bought a Walter Hagen Ultradyne II iron sets.

http://forums.golfreview.com/showthr...ight=ultradyne

Enjoy it!

Dream On Butthead!!
    Thank you Beavis. I'm sorry, I forgot the blue light special was $49.99.

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Was it Benguk or Bethpagecaddy?
    Besson's original partner in crime was Roscoe.

Quality people.

They are missed.

Tragically, I believe they were both swept out to sea during a hurricane several years back. They were kin to each other you know.
    SMT 455db 9* - Accuflex VS339 X
    Sonartec SS-03 - TT DG S400
    KZG Forged Blades 3-PW - Rifle Project X 7.0
    KZG Forged Raw 52*, 56*, 60* - Rifle Spinner 6.5
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x
    Cash for the beer cart and a quarter to mark my ball

Actually, I hit an 8 iron 220 last week . . . . . . . . . I will refrain from mentioning how fast the tailwind was blowing at the time.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

They remind me of the Hogan Radials

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_h
    Besson's original partner in crime was Roscoe.

Quality people.

They are missed.

Tragically, I believe they were both swept out to sea during a hurricane several years back. They were kin to each other you know.
    When I first came on this forum Besson was always baiting Benguk and also winding up BPC by calling him 'Beth the Caddy'. It was hilarious how many people tried to correct Besson on this.

Now where the f#ck am I?

When I first came on this forum Besson was always baiting Benguk and also winding up BPC by calling him 'Beth the Caddy'. It was hilarious how many people tried to correct Besson on this.
    Man, I wasn't there to witness it but it sure sounds like a hoot.

Man, I wasn't there to witness it but it sure sounds like a hoot.
    Ah don't worry about it. Those guys didn't have anything on the Larry & Alan Show.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thank God for Ebay!!
    They lok nice but how easy to hit them?

Thank you Beavis. I'm sorry, I forgot the blue light special was $49.99.
    Beavis was the smart one!!

Did you ever see the episode where they followed Mr. Anderson around the golf course stealing his golf balls and then they ended selling the balls back to Mr. Anderson for $1 each. Classic!!
    Mr. Anderson's classic line "I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury turds on a frozen pond."

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Hopefully I'll find out soon but I always liked Walter Hagen irons back in the day.

I was kind of hoping to start a little war, but I guess not.

You can stay.

The story with Besson and Roscoe is that everything was happy here at golfreview, but Roscoe got a computer virus and he was convinced that I had given it to him, even though I did not... Never talked, emailed, chat, etc. with the retard...

So Roscoe got really pissed off and finally left, and Besson wanted to get into the kitchen more.

I have a really good feel for Besson, and I think he has popped in here recently, maybe. I figure, since Besson has 7 kids, and they are older (teenagers), it must be almost impossible to post anymore, and run a business.

Jeff golfed with Besson and some guy in a red g string I think?... This was a decade ago.

What ever happened to bfour?

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    I have a set of Haigs forged blades older than those--bought them used in 1970 and they were old and rusty then. I only "played" golf in company outings. I still take a few of them to the range to compare side-by-side with my other clubs. Those Haigs have HEAVY steel shafts. But the ball goes straight-- albeit significantly shorter than modern cavity backs with graphite shaft. I hit my Callaway or Taylormade 5i 180 and arrow straight. I hit that old Haig about 160 maybe-- straight but short with a mighty swing. Why would anyone beat themselves up swinging that old hardware?

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf
    I have a set of Haigs forged blades older than those--bought them used in 1970 and they were old and rusty then. I only "played" golf in company outings.

Larry
    as opposed to "playing" much more often now?

but you're right about the oldies. My dad had a set of mid 1960s Staff Dynapowers with shafts bored through the hosel with the red plastic insert at bottom... they were stiff and heavy and hit way shorter than todays as well. Steel shafts were not as well made then. And lofts were much higher. My Staff Tour Blade fg17s from 1978 have the PW at 52*, just where the GAP wedge on a modern set is today. The five iron is 30*, whereas my Adams five iron is at 26*.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    I have a set of Haigs forged blades older than those--bought them used in 1970 and they were old and rusty then. I only "played" golf in company outings. I still take a few of them to the range to compare side-by-side with my other clubs. Those Haigs have HEAVY steel shafts. But the ball goes straight-- albeit significantly shorter than modern cavity backs with graphite shaft. I hit my Callaway or Taylormade 5i 180 and arrow straight. I hit that old Haig about 160 maybe-- straight but short with a mighty swing. Why would anyone beat themselves up swinging that old hardware?
    You don't hit your 5i 180 unless you're getting 30 yards of roll on that dried out range of yours.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    as opposed to "playing" much more often now?

but you're right about the oldies. My dad had a set of mid 1960s Staff Dynapowers with shafts bored through the hosel with the red plastic insert at bottom... they were stiff and heavy and hit way shorter than todays as well. Steel shafts were not as well made then. And lofts were much higher. My Staff Tour Blade fg17s from 1978 have the PW at 52*, just where the GAP wedge on a modern set is today. The five iron is 30*, whereas my Adams five iron is at 26*.
    Truthfully, those old irons feel very much like new Mizuno or Titleist forged irons with steel shafts. I really can't understand why good golfers still use that old crap. Eventually everyone will do with irons what they did with driver and fairway wood shafts-- all graphite!

larry

Truthfully, those old irons feel very much like new Mizuno or Titleist forged irons with steel shafts. I really can't understand why good golfers still use that old crap. Eventually everyone will do with irons what they did with driver and fairway wood shafts-- all graphite!
    Strange how pretty much the entire PGA Tour disagrees.

I mean, you'd think those guys would be interested in anything that gives them an edge, but I guess Larry the 17+ is smarter than all of them...
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Obsessed. Our resident nutcase posts right on schedule to prove it again. Why doesn't he realize that his posts a few seconds after mine are predictable-- Why doesn't he surprise us by showing some class.... Oh, I think I know...

Larry

larry
    I've tried graphite shafted irons and they felt muted and didn't provide enough feedback. I had less control with them as well. A study was done by Golf Digest a few years back and it showed that people with high swing speeds and quick swing tempo do not do well with graphite shafts. I don't think you'll ever see men on the PGA tour using graphite-shafted irons.

Obsessed. Our resident nutcase posts right on schedule to prove it again. Why doesn't he realize that his posts a few seconds after mine are predictable-- Why doesn't he surprise us by showing some class.... Oh, I think I know...
    LOL

Larry, don't imagine you're so important.

When I see nonsense, I post refuting it.

Tell you what: for yard you can fly your 5 iron over 170, I'll pay you $20, if you pay me $10 for every yard it flies less (no wind helping, naturally). You feeling "froggy"?
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    I've tried graphite shafted irons and they felt muted and didn't provide enough feedback. I had less control with them as well. A study was done by Golf Digest a few years back and it showed that people with high swing speeds and quick swing tempo do not do well with graphite shafts. I don't think you'll ever see men on the PGA tour using graphite-shafted irons.
    Got to agree with you on this FD. I owned two sets of graphite shafted irons. They were both unmitigated disasters. I much prefer steel.

I'm on a trip away and am a shopping cwntre internet kiosk, and having trouble keeping a straight face readng the latest larry and alan episode. People walking past are looking at me funny.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by A V Twiss
    Got to agree with you on this FD. I owned two sets of graphite shafted irons. They were both unmitigated disasters. I much prefer steel.
    I've only played a round with graphite once, but what I noticed right away was that they were less consistent in distance and that was an absolute deal breaker for me.

I don't care if I hit half a club longer with graphite if the distance dispersion is worse.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker
    I've only played a round with graphite once, but what I noticed right away was that they were less consistent in distance and that was an absolute deal breaker for me.

I don't care if I hit half a club longer with graphite if the distance dispersion is worse.
    This is the primary reason no pro in their right mind wold even consider graphite. In my experience graphite shafts produce the occassional jumper that flies about 20 yards further than normal. With the driver this can be a good thing, but not with the irons as most holes have all the danger behind the green so the last thing you need is to start flying greens by twenty yards out of no where.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I'm on a trip away and am a shopping cwntre internet kiosk, and having trouble keeping a straight face readng the latest larry and alan episode. People walking past are looking at me funny.

Such dedication. It's what we've come to expect from the second greatest GR Poster of all time who is rapidly closing in on both 7k and Dorkman's record in his quest to become No.1 GR poster of all time.

Now where the f#ck am I?

"If we can bring a little joy into your humdrum lives, it makes us feel as though our hard work ain't been in vain for nothin'."
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Such dedication. It's what we've come to expect from the second greatest GR Poster of all time who is rapidly closing in on both 7k and Dorkman's record in his quest to become No.1 GR poster of all time.
    I think my high post count is more indicative of my lack of aliases than my dedication to GR. If you added up all the aliases I think there would be a few more members ahead of me than just dorky.

I think my high post count is more indicative of my lack of aliases than my dedication to GR. If you added up all the aliases I think there would be a few more members ahead of me than just dorky.
    You are a nice guy.

You are not on my sh!tlist. If I forget, and I put you on, please remind me of this, as winter is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by spanqdoggie View Post
    They look gorgeous, but you are not a newbie...

Come clean with all of us; what is your history here at GR or other forums?
    I love the Ultradynes. I have a full set of irons I'd sell for $150.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyLee View Post
    Thank God for Ebay!!
    I love the Ultradyne's. I have a slightly older set than yours that have no hosels and have the "Pepsi" twist shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    I love the Ultradyne's. I have a slightly older set than yours that have no hosels and have the "Pepsi" twist shaft.
    Replying to a thread that's over a year old? Not very smooth, Mister.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

i'm sorry to inform you, but blacked out grooves are reserved for lady's clubs only.

Quote Originally Posted by ripit35 View Post
    i'm sorry to inform you, but blacked out grooves are reserved for lady's clubs only.
    I'm pretty sure those irons read Walgreens on the sole.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

Question on the Ultradyne-II shafts...

I recently bought a set of the Ultradyne-II irons at an antique shop be cause they looked as if they had maybe been played with a handfull of times. Flawless grooves and the original grips were still on them with almost no wear or dry rot. They must have been sitting in a closet for most of their lives. Anyway...
    I first noticed that the shaft of the 2-iron seemed to be slightly bent about 2-3 inches up from where the shaft joins the head. The bend was along an axis such that it offset the head back a little when addressing the ball (it did not angle the toe up or down any). I assumed it was damaged and was about to take them to a pro shop for repair when I noticed that most of the irons had some degree of the same bending along the same axis that gave them an offset look at address.
    Is this the way these clubs came from the factory??? If not, is this a modification that pro shops made to adjust the loft of each club to the customers requirements??

Thread Information