|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

All black drivers: what do you think?

I don't know who was the first mainstream company to do them... maybe Cobra with the S9-1 Pros? But now Taylormade has 3 out currently (Superfast TP, Supertri TP and regular, and the Superdeep) aswell as the old Tour Burner. Titleist just introduced their 910D/F prototype line and they are all black.

I've always liked my wedges in oil can finish and have thought about getting my irons in a raw, oil can, or oxide finish before. So obviously I think the all black drivers look GREAT. I've heard some say they have a hard time distinguishing between crown and face, and therefore they are hard to line up? I dunno. What is everyone else's opinion?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	910-1-3.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	2470  
    Driver: Cobra S9-1 Pro D 9.5* Proforce V2 Prototype TX flex
    3w: Titleist 980f Strong 15* Proforce V2 85x
    Hybrid: Titleist 585h 17* Proforce V2 105x
    Irons: Mizuno MP 62 3i-PW s300
    Wedges: 52* Vokey C-C 52* S200
    56* Cleveland Tour Action 900 Rifle spinner 6.0
    Putter: Cleveland Classic Satin 4.5

TM R7 superquad preceed all those, and Alpha had an all black driver about 7 or 8 years ago.

I'm sure you'll get at least one GR regular who agrees with you that anything all black is great, won't we Kiwi?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

the nickent 4 dx tour special edition is an all black driver and must be nearly 5 years old now.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

When I saw the heading of this thread I thought you were talking about all the taxi drivers in Minneapolis.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135
    When I saw the heading of this thread I thought you were talking about all the taxi drivers in Minneapolis.
    Think yourself lucky. At least your cabbies speak English.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I have more of a problem with Asian drivers.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

They look nice IMO.

Gary Player played an all black driver that was, if I recall, made by his own company. It was a 46" driver and I think it was molded in one piece. I stood 10 feet facing Player at a Senior Tour event in '96 and watched Gary outdrive Jay Siegel (at that time the longest on that tour) by 30 yards on a par 5 into a 20mph headwind and Siegel pulled his into the left rough about 285 out. That little South African dressed in all black could really nail that all black driver.

Gary Player played an all black driver that was, if I recall, made by his own company. It was a 46" driver and I think it was molded in one piece. I stood 10 feet away from him at a Senior Tour event in '96 and watched Gary outdrive Jay Siegel (at that time the longest on that tour) by 30 yards on a par 5 into a 20mph headwind and Siegel pulled his into the left rough about 285 out. That little South African dressed in all black could really nail that all black driver.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    [I'm sure you'll get at least one GR regular who agrees with you that anything all black is great, won't we Kiwi?[/QUOTE]
    They do some kind of a war chant. They kind of look like they mixed well with the europeans.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

I new I had missed some. Was the superquad really that long ago already?
    Driver: Cobra S9-1 Pro D 9.5* Proforce V2 Prototype TX flex
    3w: Titleist 980f Strong 15* Proforce V2 85x
    Hybrid: Titleist 585h 17* Proforce V2 105x
    Irons: Mizuno MP 62 3i-PW s300
    Wedges: 52* Vokey C-C 52* S200
    56* Cleveland Tour Action 900 Rifle spinner 6.0
    Putter: Cleveland Classic Satin 4.5

That Titless driver looks good... but looking good is not good enough. How well does it play? Last weekend I went out to a local driving range with my 11* GBB II driver, system 60 R-flex and I hit very well with it for my age. There was a young guy (maybe 30) in next stall who bombed his driver to about 280-300 yds (I would say 80% of the time), Oh shììttt, he has the same GBB driver but 9* loft.
    Those 10+ yr old drivers are still excellent. I am thinking about getting the GBB 415 (mine does not have a number but I think it's 380cc head). On eBay I could get it for about $20 + shipping... This confirms that it's all in our swing flaws (well , most of the time)

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    That Titless driver looks good... but looking good is not good enough. How well does it play? Last weekend I went out to a local driving range with my 11* GBB II driver, system 60 R-flex and I hit very well with it for my age. There was a young guy (maybe 30) in next stall who bombed his driver to about 280-300 yds (I would say 80% of the time), Oh shììttt, he has the same GBB driver but 9* loft.
    Those 10+ yr old drivers are still excellent. I am thinking about getting the GBB 415 (mine does not have a number but I think it's 380cc head). On eBay I could get it for about $20 + shipping... This confirms that it's all in our swing flaws (well , most of the time)
    I think we have the same 04 BB Titanium driver. Its a 360 head. I still love that thing. I love the sound of it especially. Sounds like a missile launcher. My 5yr old dropped it on the driveway last year and I nearly went nuclear. Think thats the only time I have ever gotten mad at her!
    Although I bag the Diablo Edge Tour now, I still have that 04 driver. Plan on keeping it.

This it?

Like.

Carry on.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    I think we have the same 04 BB Titanium driver. Its a 360 head. I still love that thing. I love the sound of it especially. Sounds like a missile launcher. My 5yr old dropped it on the driveway last year and I nearly went nuclear. Think thats the only time I have ever gotten mad at her!
    Although I bag the Diablo Edge Tour now, I still have that 04 driver. Plan on keeping it.

This it?

LH... I have both Callaway 2004 BB driver (360cc) and Great Big Birtha II (380cc). I can hit them both very well, as well as my 460cc TEE. I am bagging the GBB II now because I "think" I could draw it easier... Couple weeks ago I took these two old drivers to a driving range where a Callaway tent has several demo clubs, so I hit 200 balls and compared old drivers with Callay FT-iz and Callay Diablo, same loft... The verdict: Callaway FT-iz came close to the two old ones, Diablo came last for my swing due to wider ball dispersion. So, new technology does NOT mean better. I am searching for a GBB 415cc just for fun , if I see anything less than $25+shipping then I am in...

LH... I have both Callaway 2004 BB driver (360cc) and Great Big Birtha II (380cc). I can hit them both very well, as well as my 460cc TEE. I am bagging the GBB II now because I "think" I could draw it easier... Couple weeks ago I took these two old drivers to a driving range where a Callaway tent has several demo clubs, so I hit 200 balls and compared old drivers with Callay FT-iz and Callay Diablo, same loft... The verdict: Callaway FT-iz came close to the two old ones, Diablo came last for my swing due to wider ball dispersion. So, new technology does NOT mean better. I am searching for a GBB 415cc just for fun , if I see anything less than $25+shipping then I am in...
    Gotcha. I recall you mentioning your visit to the tent. I have the 360cc head but my driver has the + after titanium. Non conforming. I didnt have a clue what that meant when I purchased it in 2005. Guy from Cally said that I would have to swing 120mph+ in order for it to really matter - and Im a 100mph swinger.
    I keep a casual eye open for the BB 415+ but have never seen on in lefty......

You mean GBB II 415? I am not aware of BB 415
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Callaway-Great-B...item51942cb332

My 5yr old dropped it on the driveway last year

Your daughter clearly has good taste.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

You mean GBB II 415? I am not aware of BB 415
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Callaway-Great-B...item51942cb332

Thats it I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Your daughter clearly has good taste.
    Smart a$$!

I like my Cally drivers, except for the blantant lying about loft and face angle!

Smart a$$!

I like my Cally drivers, except for the blantant lying about loft and face angle!
    Just kidding with ya!

In all honesty I was in a dept store just the other day that usually carries only no name junk golf equipment but occasionally gets in top name brand products via parallel importing (whatever that means) and it had Callaway GBB II drivers on the shelf. I didn't see the price but I was tempted to check it out and if the price was right buy it just to try it and have it as a spare driver when I have friends that need to borrow clubs. It looked like a small head at address so may well have only been 360cc.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Just kidding with ya!

In all honesty I was in a dept store just the other day that usually carries only no name junk golf equipment but occasionally gets in top name brand products via parallel importing (whatever that means) and it had Callaway GBB II drivers on the shelf. I didn't see the price but I was tempted to check it out and if the price was right buy it just to try it and have it as a spare driver when I have friends that need to borrow clubs. It looked like a small head at address so may well have only been 360cc.
    Callaway Great Big Bertha II Driver Golf Club

Club Type: Driver
    Brand: Callaway
    Model: Great Big Bertha II
    Product ID: EPID45072896
    Description: • Larger, updated version of popular original GBB• 380cc titanium head offers a blend of power and forgiveness• Increased moment of inertia limits clubhead twisting on off-center hits, minimizing their effect read more

As my wife always says

"Once you've had black you never go back"

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    As my wife always says

"Once you've had black you never go back"

Edgey
    And Bubba Watson expanded on with "once you cut into it, you'll find that its all pink inside."

Just kidding with ya!

Parallel importing means buying stuff overseas cheap and selling it there without paying the owner of the copyright in your country their cut. In the old days copyright was transeferred to countries in the form of a licensing agreement, meaning the owner of the license in a particular country paid for the copyright in that country. I think these days parallel importing is legal in most countries, as with aprallel importing you are still getting the legitimate article so you aren't really breaking copyright laws. Don't ask me how I know all this as it brings back painful memories of complicated work in a previous life.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Parallel importing means buying stuff overseas cheap and selling it there without paying the owner of the copyright in your country their cut. In the old days copyright was transeferred to countries in the form of a licensing agreement, meaning the owner of the license in a particular country paid for the copyright in that country. I think these days parallel importing is legal in most countries, as with aprallel importing you are still getting the legitimate article so you aren't really breaking copyright laws. Don't ask me how I know all this as it brings back painful memories of complicated work in a previous life.
    Sweet! I'm sure I knew that once, I'd just forgotten.

Now where the f#ck am I?

TM R7 superquad preceed all those, and Alpha had an all black driver about 7 or 8 years ago.

I'm sure you'll get at least one GR regular who agrees with you that anything all black is great, won't we Kiwi?
    Actually, 9 years ago Alpha brought out the first V.2 all black head......beautiful driver....and a rocket launcher at that.

Especially if it has big firm tits, a plump ass, and plays tennis . . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Yonex had an all black driver made from that composite crap way back in the early 90's. Phildo used to use one back around the time he first turned pro. They did have a gold colored shaft though, so not sure if this qualifies.

Back when I was still a junior (age 18), there was another junior member at my club who played the Yonex. He was 6'4" and about 220lbs at age 16 though - but he could hit that thing further than I've ever seen a golf ball hit in person. I can't count how many times I watched him poke it 350yds+. That was quite the feat back in those days. Absolutely massive.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

I don't care who drives me around San Francisco. This thread is racist, and I disapprove.

Last edited by spanqdoggie; 08-05-2010 at 09:42 PM.
    It's not my fault God made me this beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by spanqdoggie
    I don't care who drives me around San Francisco. This thread is racist, and I disapprove.

spanqdoggie... I have studied psychology and socielogy while in several colleges but no one seems to touch on the subject that I am going to ask. I have to apologize first because it's a touchy subject and could be politically incorrect., and this does not mean to offend anyone or any races... I've seen quite a few white ladies who married to black gentlemen, but I have yet to see the other way around. IMO, that means there is a physical, social etc... attraction between a white lady and a black gentleman... Can you shed some lights on this subject? just like what they say "everything happens for a reason"... or something like that.... and excuse my ignorance

spanqdoggie... I have studied psychology and socielogy while in several colleges but no one seems to touch on the subject that I am going to ask. I have to apologize first because it's a touchy subject and could be politically incorrect., and this does not mean to offend anyone or any races... I've seen quite a few white ladies who married to black gentlemen, but I have yet to see the other way around. IMO, that means there is a physical, social etc... attraction between a white lady and a black gentleman... Can you shed some lights on this subject? just like what they say "everything happens for a reason"... or something like that.... and excuse my ignorance
    LOL - I think the answer is very obvious. As Edgeys wife says "Once you've had black, you never go back!"

Now where the f#ck am I?

Maybe I am being presumptious but if Edgeys wife says that does that mean Edgey is not of the caucasion race?
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

I think they sure look pretty. I just got some Masters Golf Tickets and I am wondering how many of the pros will start switching to all black.

Thread Information