|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Johnathan Byrd's Hole in One: Equipment

I may go out and buy a set of Mizuno MP-62 irons after seeing this guy make a hole in one. It has to be the clubs. I'm gonna get the X-100 shafts as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bryd.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	2514  

Good choice, if they were Ping K15 :-)
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Good choice, if they were Ping K15 :-)
    POTD. You may now close the thread.

You two need a room?
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    You two need a room?
    That was completely uncalled for. There is no room on these boards for fruit loop jokes. That aside, I have decided to follow in Edgey's footsteps and I'm now looking for a set of modern-day game improvement irons. I'm considering the Taylormade 2.0 Burners or the Cobra S2 Irons.

There is absolutely no reason not to take advantage of technology. I will use whatever makes it easier to score well. Over the last 5 years I have noticed that my Ping Eye 2s are not traveling the distance they once did. I used to hit an 8 iron 150 and now I hit it about 142. I took my Ping Eye 2 8 iron into GolfGalaxy and went into the simulator. I tried the Cobra S2 alongside the Ping Eye 2. The difference was 8 to 12 yards increased distance with the Cobra S2. Not only that, but the S2 felt awesome!!

There are those that would say I should just hit the Ping Eye 2 7 iron instead of the 8 iron. I disagree. I'd rather hit an 8 iron than a 7 iron. Plus, the S2 irons are more forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    That was completely uncalled for. There is no room on these boards for fruit loop jokes. That aside, I have decided to follow in Edgey's footsteps and I'm now looking for a set of modern-day game improvement irons. I'm considering the Taylormade 2.0 Burners or the Cobra S2 Irons.

There is absolutely no reason not to take advantage of technology. I will use whatever makes it easier to score well. Over the last 5 years I have noticed that my Ping Eye 2s are not traveling the distance they once did. I used to hit an 8 iron 150 and now I hit it about 142. I took my Ping Eye 2 8 iron into GolfGalaxy and went into the simulator. I tried the Cobra S2 alongside the Ping Eye 2. The difference was 8 to 12 yards increased distance with the Cobra S2. Not only that, but the S2 felt awesome!!

There are those that would say I should just hit the Ping Eye 2 7 iron instead of the 8 iron. I disagree. I'd rather hit an 8 iron than a 7 iron. Plus, the S2 irons are more forgiving.
    S2 has stronger loft ... you should be able to hit a 7i for 190 yds like Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    S2 has stronger loft ... you should be able to hit a 7i for 190 yds like Phil
    with the S2 I could probably hit a 7 iron 160. I've never hit my irons what I would consider "long". I'm relatively longer in my driver than my irons.

Agreed, 8 iron over 7. More loft, harder to miss. Do what ever you think is best for sure. I don't know anything about game improvement clubs but I'm not gonna give you the forged spiel...
    Golf

I am selling my PING Eye 2s. I have a potential sucker, . . . . er, . . . . I mean buyer, trying them out now.

I have a bid on a set of yellow dot, 4-U wedge, 3/4" longer shafted PING i10 irons. I figure I have set a high enough bid to purchase them. I have tried the i10s out before buying my set of MP-52s a couple of years ago. I liked the way they hit, but I did not like the feel. I have not played them in a round, so I thought I'd buy me a set and play with them a few rounds.

I am selling my PING Eye 2s. I have a potential sucker, . . . . er, . . . . I mean buyer, trying them out now.

I have a bid on a set of yellow dot, 4-U wedge, 3/4" longer shafted PING i10 irons. I figure I have set a high enough bid to purchase them. I have tried the i10s out before buying my set of MP-52s a couple of years ago. I liked the way they hit, but I did not like the feel. I have not played them in a round, so I thought I'd buy me a set and play with them a few rounds.
    The Ping i10 didn't do very well in sales because of the minimum offset but I think it's one of the best irons they've made. It's a completely different feel from forged...more of a crisp, harder feel. If you don't like offset but want some forgiveness it's the way to go.

Sooner

This could be the best post you have ever made. The Ping i10 are very good irons. If you can get past your deeply held views about forged v cast "feel" i think you will find they could help you over the longer term.

Good luck with your purchase

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Sooner, this dallyance with the devil goes against every fibre of your being, and it is manifesting itself in ass whoopings at the hands of Big Dave. I will be honest and serious for once and say that there is nothing wrong with Ping irons, if you like them. But if you are a Mizuno GFF player Pings will never do, just like if you are a Ping player you will never play anything else. You are GFF to the core, stop fukking around wasting your money on stuff you know you will never be proud to own, and get back to playing golf. I kow form experience that I just can't play if I have something in the bag which I don't believe is top quality. It's psychological. I know how hypocritical this must sound coming from me, but I have always liked TPS 6.0, and I have total confidence when I walk on the tee that I have the right gear in the bag. In the past I've used clubs that I thought weren't top notch, and I deep down knew it and played like it. The 10 lowest rounds of my life have been with TPS 6.0, Mizzy Zoid Pro IIs, and an old set of Precpet Tour Premium forged player CBs. Even though these sets have probably taken up less than 10% of my golf life in the bag, I have played my best golf and reached my lowest cap when they were there. Take it form someone who knows, stick with the GFF, you only waste time and money with anything else.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Sooner, this dallyance with the devil goes against every fibre of your being, and it is manifesting itself in ass whoopings at the hands of Big Dave. I will be honest and serious for once and say that there is nothing wrong with Ping irons, if you like them. But if you are a Mizuno GFF player Pings will never do, just like if you are a Ping player you will never play anything else. You are GFF to the core, stop fukking around wasting your money on stuff you know you will never be proud to own, and get back to playing golf. I kow form experience that I just can't play if I have something in the bag which I don't believe is top quality. It's psychological. I know how hypocritical this must sound coming from me, but I have always liked TPS 6.0, and I have total confidence when I walk on the tee that I have the right gear in the bag. In the past I've used clubs that I thought weren't top notch, and I deep down knew it and played like it. The 10 lowest rounds of my life have been with TPS 6.0, Mizzy Zoid Pro IIs, and an old set of Precpet Tour Premium forged player CBs. Even though these sets have probably taken up less than 10% of my golf life in the bag, I have played my best golf and reached my lowest cap when they were there. Take it form someone who knows, stick with the GFF, you only waste time and money with anything else.
    Of course this is ridiculous. I person should play whatever they feel will enable them to score the best. Sooner, I've been thinking about this and I don't know if the Ping i10s would be worth the investment. It seems to me that you should be trying a game improvement iron like like the Taylormade Burner or Cobra S2 or Ping G15 or Callaway X-24. You already have the players cavity with the Mizuno MP-52. The Ping i10 might actually be a smaller head than the MP-52 with less offset.

I'm looking more closely at these new Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons. I looked at these yesterday and there is very little offset in the short irons. Much better than the first model. Why not make the game easier?

Of course this is ridiculous. I person should play whatever they feel will enable them to score the best. Sooner, I've been thinking about this and I don't know if the Ping i10s would be worth the investment. It seems to me that you should be trying a game improvement iron like like the Taylormade Burner or Cobra S2 or Ping G15 or Callaway X-24. You already have the players cavity with the Mizuno MP-52. The Ping i10 might actually be a smaller head than the MP-52 with less offset.

I'm looking more closely at these new Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons. I looked at these yesterday and there is very little offset in the short irons. Much better than the first model. Why not make the game easier?
    Those TM are TERRIBLE irons compared to the G10/G15 range and certainly not worthy of your game.

Why would you abandon a supermodel to take up with a 2 bit ugly fat scanky ho?

Edgey

Those TM are TERRIBLE irons compared to the G10/G15 range and certainly not worthy of your game.

Why would you abandon a supermodel to take up with a 2 bit ugly fat scanky ho?

Edgey
    Did you try them and not like them? The problem I have with the G10 and G15 is that, for me, they are too bulky looking with too much offset. I tried the G10 with Z-z65 shafts and actually lost distance. Not sure why.

On another note, I hit the 8 iron and 5 iron of a used set of the Callaway Big Bertha 2004 irons and they felt fantastic. The trajectory was lower as well. Have you tried this set? I know you have the 2002 Big Bertha but don't know if you've tried the 2004.

Did you try them and not like them? The problem I have with the G10 and G15 is that, for me, they are too bulky looking with too much offset. I tried the G10 with Z-z65 shafts and actually lost distance. Not sure why.

On another note, I hit the 8 iron and 5 iron of a used set of the Callaway Big Bertha 2004 irons and they felt fantastic. The trajectory was lower as well. Have you tried this set? I know you have the 2002 Big Bertha but don't know if you've tried the 2004.
    I hear what you sy about the G10/15. Perhaps this is where the K15 are so good, the Titanium face. Ball just explodes. Never found the offset an issue but then i am a fade player.

Yes i have tried the TM 2.0. They are exactly the same as the previous model. Poor distance, horrid to look at, cheap looking and poor quality.

Yes i have owned a set of 2004 BB. Not as good as the 2002 IMO. Looks were not as clean and i lost distance. They were better than any offering from TM though (TM 300 exc)

Edgey

I hear what you sy about the G10/15. Perhaps this is where the K15 are so good, the Titanium face. Ball just explodes. Never found the offset an issue but then i am a fade player.

Yes i have tried the TM 2.0. They are exactly the same as the previous model. Poor distance, horrid to look at, cheap looking and poor quality.

Yes i have owned a set of 2004 BB. Not as good as the 2002 IMO. Looks were not as clean and i lost distance. They were better than any offering from TM though (TM 300 exc)

Edgey
    I found a website called gppgolf and they must specialize in Ping equipment because they have a ton of Rapture iron sets at pretty good prices. Have you tried the Rapture and is it similar to the K15?

with the S2 I could probably hit a 7 iron 160. I've never hit my irons what I would consider "long". I'm relatively longer in my driver than my irons.
    Oh Shìitttt... big Dave is going to beat you up with his gaybrids.. My advise to you is that you should eliminate his advantages at the next round, i.e. whoever won the hole would select the T-box at the next hole, that way you would minimize the benefits of his length

I found a website called gppgolf and they must specialize in Ping equipment because they have a ton of Rapture iron sets at pretty good prices. Have you tried the Rapture and is it similar to the K15?
    The K15 is the replacement for the Rapture.

I have owned 2 sets of raptures, the original and the V2. Both are excellent clubs although i prefered the original to the V2 (my youngest brother has a set of these still).

The raptures had a lot of tungsten in the soles to get the ball in the air which the K15 dont. The K15 are basically G15 with Titanium faces, no other weighting.

The Raptures do have a lot of offset like the G10 but no more than almost every TM Burner type iron.

Raptures are EXCELLENT SGI/GI irons which are incredibly easy to hit straight and long. For some reason i never got on them as well as i have the K15. Not sure why as in theory they are more forgiving. I dont think you can go wrong with Raptures but get them in the knowledge of what they are, large heads (smaller than Eye 2), offset (about eye 2 levels), thick(ish) top line (not BB2002 thickness), wide(ish) soles (WAY smaller than BB2002) with lots of peripheral weighting and Titanium faces which are super forgiving dead easy to hit irons.

Edgey

I don't like, nor do I get along with clubs that have too much offset in them. I have swung the G10 and G15s and I hate them, they are too bulky.

I am currently bagging the MP-67s as I have been hitting them way better than my 52s lately. I like the smaller heads on clubs better than the bigger heads.

I've hit the i10s before and kind of liked them except for the "dead" feeling in comparison to a good forged iron. So, I want to get some and try a few rounds with them. I will know if I win my bid tomorrow night.

Hell, NaH, my name is SoonerBS and I am a club Ho.

I don't ever get very far away from my GFF, NaH, so don't worry about me. I have the 67s in my bag currently right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Oh Shìitttt... big Dave is going to beat you up with his gaybrids.. My advise to you is that you should eliminate his advantages at the next round, i.e. whoever won the hole would select the T-box at the next hole, that way you would minimize the benefits of his length
    I guess I'm not following your post. I have hybrids as well. He's definitley longer than me but the course will play long for him as well. I don't think picking a tee box that makes the hole shorter would work to my advantage at all because Dave's biggest strength (from what I saw) was his wedge game.

I guess I'm not following your post. I have hybrids as well. He's definitley longer than me but the course will play long for him as well. I don't think picking a tee box that makes the hole shorter would work to my advantage at all because Dave's biggest strength (from what I saw) was his wedge game.
    FD

What is Daves and your handicaps and are they official or not?

Edgey

The K15 is the replacement for the Rapture.

I have owned 2 sets of raptures, the original and the V2. Both are excellent clubs although i prefered the original to the V2 (my youngest brother has a set of these still).

The raptures had a lot of tungsten in the soles to get the ball in the air which the K15 dont. The K15 are basically G15 with Titanium faces, no other weighting.

The Raptures do have a lot of offset like the G10 but no more than almost every TM Burner type iron.

Raptures are EXCELLENT SGI/GI irons which are incredibly easy to hit straight and long. For some reason i never got on them as well as i have the K15. Not sure why as in theory they are more forgiving. I dont think you can go wrong with Raptures but get them in the knowledge of what they are, large heads (smaller than Eye 2), offset (about eye 2 levels), thick(ish) top line (not BB2002 thickness), wide(ish) soles (WAY smaller than BB2002) with lots of peripheral weighting and Titanium faces which are super forgiving dead easy to hit irons.

Edgey
    I've been away and managed to catch up with an old friend. He is an equipment junkie like the rest of us and is off to a PING fitting on Friday. He told me he is keen to try the S56 and the forged Anser models. I told him I had heard and read 'great things' about the K15's so he is going to give them a try too.

I will be very interested to hear his opinions.

How come you PING guys never even mention the S56 or the Anser models?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    I've been away and managed to catch up with an old friend. He is an equipment junkie like the rest of us and is off to a PING fitting on Friday. He told me he is keen to try the S56 and the forged Anser models. I told him I had heard and read 'great things' about the K15's so he is going to give them a try too.

I will be very interested to hear his opinions.

How come you PING guys never even mention the S56 or the Anser models?
    The Anser FOrged arent out in the UK yet, i will try them when they come out though. The S56 are excellent irons (i have hit them) but dont have the level of forgiveness i want.

Edgey

Hell, NaH, my name is SoonerBS and I am a club Ho.

I don't ever get very far away from my GFF, NaH, so don't worry about me. I have the 67s in my bag currently right now.
    Good to hear brother. GR had enough damage done to it's reputation when I sold out (but at least not ot Cally or Ping), it couldn't take another body blow like having the champion of all things GFF desert to Ping. I get what you say about offset too. I already naturally draw my irons, the last thing I need is offset or other anti fade 'technology'.

FD, heed the advice of Edgey and don't go near those Burners. They look cheap and poor quality, like they should be in the full sets with the 3 woods, putter and bag for under $300 isle . I thought Nike set the bar high for lack of respect for the game when designing irons, but TM has taken it to a whole new level with these abominations. You guys bag me about the Powerbilts, but at least they are a solid piece of metal with no inserts, plastic badges or other bells and whistles. As much as I like to bait you about the Pings, my real problem is with design not craftsmanship. Ping are to my eye ugly, but you can tell they are functional for their target market and high quality.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

My bid was a loss. So, it's nothing but GFF for a long while.

My bid was a loss. So, it's nothing but GFF for a long while.
    Like the way GFF chooses owners and is not chosen by them, the mystical GFF has aided you in a different way by thwarting your attempt to leave for an inferior product. Don't know how spiritual you are Sooner, but if I were you I'd take this as a sign.

Like the way GFF chooses owners and is not chosen by them, the mystical GFF has aided you in a different way by thwarting your attempt to leave for an inferior product. Don't know how spiritual you are Sooner, but if I were you I'd take this as a sign.
    The alternative perspective is those Pings new that he is too cheap too place a decent bid for the highest quality equipment and they decided that Sooner will now never play his best.

Just. A. Thought

Edgey

The alternative perspective is those Pings new that he is too cheap too place a decent bid for the highest quality equipment and they decided that Sooner will now never play his best.

Just. A. Thought

Edgey
    I guess you have a point Edgey however the PING Eye 2's did help him Play His Best by shooting 87 in his second match with Dave vs the 97 he shot in his first match with the GFF blades.

An improvement of 4 strokes is the GR Certified litmus test therefore an improvement by 10 strokes must be definitive proof of the superiority of PING over GFF.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I guess you have a point Edgey however the PING Eye 2's did help him Play His Best by shooting 87 in his second match with Dave vs the 97 he shot in his first match with the GFF blades.

An improvement of 4 strokes is the GR Certified litmus test therefore an improvement by 10 strokes must be definitive proof of the superiority of PING over GFF.
    In all fairness i wasnt aware that Sooner used Ping Eye 2 irons when he shot 87. I have no doubt that were he to swallow his pride and acknowledge this fact Ping K15's could help him he could finally remove the monkey off his back and beat that hack bully Dave P.

Ping, play your best

Edgey

In all fairness i wasnt aware that Sooner used Ping Eye 2 irons when he shot 87. I have no doubt that were he to swallow his pride and acknowledge this fact Ping K15's could help him he could finally remove the monkey off his back and beat that hack bully Dave P.

Ping, play your best

Edgey
    In fairness, fearing another humiliating loss at the hands of Adams paddles, the GFF Cabal insisted that SoonerBs bag the PINGS for his rematch with Dave P so that the shame be borne by the PING Eye2's rather than GFF blades. However given that Dave used old Wilson Staff blades for the rematch the shame wouldn't have been so great.

It is now up to Famousdavis to redeem his beloved PING Eye 2's in the eyes of GR and the rest of the eagerly awaiting golfing world.

Now where the f#ck am I?

The Anser FOrged arent out in the UK yet, i will try them when they come out though. The S56 are excellent irons (i have hit them) but dont have the level of forgiveness i want.

Edgey
    Just heard back from my old friend following his PING Demo day. His verdict:

i15 - these felt real good

S56 - great but a bit unforgiving for me

G15 hybrid - big surprise, looked so ugly but I hit it so nice

K15 irons - very much a game improvement iron, too chunky

Anser - not available in NZ until March

Now where the f#ck am I?

Just heard back from my old friend following his PING Demo day. His verdict:

i15 - these felt real good

S56 - great but a bit unforgiving for me

G15 hybrid - big surprise, looked so ugly but I hit it so nice

K15 irons - very much a game improvement iron, too chunky

Anser - not available in NZ until March
    I think the Ping S56 is the best blade they've come out with. Awesome look, KBS Tour shafts and the blade profile is perfect. All of these new irons are too expensive, though. I like the i15 as well and may go that route. I think it's time to upgrade to irons that provide more distance. Another good looking iron is the Cobra S2.

I think the Ping S56 is the best blade they've come out with. Awesome look, KBS Tour shafts and the blade profile is perfect. All of these new irons are too expensive, though. I like the i15 as well and may go that route. I think it's time to upgrade to irons that provide more distance. Another good looking iron is the Cobra S2.
    I agree with you FD, the S2's do look good; however i had a hit with them and the performance is nothing special. They felt ok but the ballfight was too high and the distance should have been better for strong lofted irons. Possibly the ns pro in stiff (although I usually like them) was not giving me the performance I expected.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I agree with you FD, the S2's do look good; however i had a hit with them and the performance is nothing special. They felt ok but the ballfight was too high and the distance should have been better for strong lofted irons. Possibly the ns pro in stiff (although I usually like them) was not giving me the performance I expected.
    I really don't like the feel of the S2 in the hands. I haven't hit one, but I've seen them in shops and IMO they are cheap looking, very TM like in that regard.

P.S. For those who are wondering what I'm doing posting at this hour, I ahve found a way to circumvent the filter and can once again post during work hours.

I really don't like the feel of the S2 in the hands. I haven't hit one, but I've seen them in shops and IMO they are cheap looking, very TM like in that regard.

P.S. For those who are wondering what I'm doing posting at this hour, I ahve found a way to circumvent the filter and can once again post during work hours.
    LOL - Hallelujah!

This is great news for all the GR regulars who feared we would never see your 9,000th post due to that nasty filter those evil IT bastards installed.

Now where the f#ck am I?

It's like building the electrical fences in Jurassic Park and chaos theory. No matter what you do nature will find it's way. Although, I don't think the theorists had any idea this could pertain to golf club discussion.

Thread Information