|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

I'm a HUGE ho...

I just realized how big of a ho I am... Lets go through my golf equipment transitions this year:

Irons:
    x-16 (had since last year)---> nike forged blades (early this spring)--->Mizuno mp68 (late this summer)

Driver:
    Maltby driver (since last year)--->nike sumo 5000 (early this spring)--> ft-iq (mid summer)--> ft-tour(late summer)-->905d (a week ago)

Hybrid:
    585h 18* (mid summer)--->mp-clk 17* (late summer)
    putter:
    Generic putter (last year)--> ping zing (mid summer)--> hogan bettinardi (late summer)-->rife antigua (a few weeks after the hoganardi)--> cameron fastback (arriving tomorrow in the mail)

Wedges:
    52* mp-r, 56* callaway forged + (spring)---> 52* 56* mpt10 (late summer)
    60* x-tour (fall)--> 60* mpt10 (lost the callaway a couple weeks ago, this was the replacement)

Irons and wedges arent going to change any time soon, gff is superior. I'll look at new irons when Mizuno comes out with new blades. Driver and putter seems to be the worst...

Am I bad or are there people just as bad out there?
    Golf

That was me several years ago. I'd go through 2 or 3 drivers in a year. I'd replace sets of irons 2 or 3 times a year. Wedges....putters....you name it. I did a lot of shaft switching and experimenting. I'd get something, then find something I didn't like about it....then buy something different. If the new equipment was better, out the old equipment went to e-bay.

I went through a lot of equipment, and did learn a lot about the playing characteristics of different shaft weights, torques, kickpoints, and the playing characteristics of changing centers of gravities and weight distributions of woods. I became aware of the difference that sole contours made for the playing characteristics of fairway woods, hybrids, irons, and wedges. It was a very expensive education, but I did get a good deal of my money back out the back end on e-bay.

About 2 years ago, I all of my experimenting seemed to gel in my current setup, and I haven't replaced a club in 2 seasons.
    I don't recommend this approach for most people, but I have enough disposable income that it was probably no more proportionately expensive than people who buy a lot of audio, video, or camera equipment in their quest to feed their passion/hobbies.

Because of all of the first hand experience I acquired, I am repeatedly amused by some of the ignorant opinions expressed with great enthusiasm by some people on this board. I've been there....I tried it.....it worked for me or it didn't work for me. If I tried something and got a particular result, nobody can convince me that I didn't experience it. Someone else might have a different result with the same equipment, but I know what works in my own hands, and find it absurd that someone can tell me differently about what I experienced for myself. "To each his own" and "whatever works in your hands" have always been my mantra when dealing with equipment issues. Also,...... "demo, demo, demo" whenever possible.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Yep shafts I've been through include:

Matrix xcon 6 s, diamana whiteboard 65s, v2 77x, vs proto s, fubuki 82x, grafalloy blue s, and I am waiting to have a javln m8 x installed in my 905s.

I agree, ebay makes trying everything out a lot more affordable. The only thing that I didn't really get my money back on was reshafting my irons from s300 to x100s. But still a great investment... and the new cameron. I don't plan on getting another putter seeing how I have a blade, a lighter mallet and a heavier mallet now. The only thing that might be changed would be the driver (can't seem to find a configuration I can stick with.) I might get conforming wedges... Who knows... A new golf bag seems to be on my list next though... Can't find one that I like...
    Golf

Quote Originally Posted by qtong
    I just realized how big of a ho I am... Lets go through my golf equipment transitions this year:

Irons:
    x-16 (had since last year)---> nike forged blades (early this spring)--->Mizuno mp68 (late this summer)

Driver:
    Maltby driver (since last year)--->nike sumo 5000 (early this spring)--> ft-iq (mid summer)--> ft-tour(late summer)-->905d (a week ago)

Hybrid:
    putter:
    Generic putter (last year)--> ping zing (mid summer)--> hogan bettinardi (late summer)-->rife antigua (a few weeks after the hoganardi)--> cameron fastback (arriving tomorrow in the mail)

Wedges:
    60* x-tour (fall)--> 60* mpt10 (lost the callaway a couple weeks ago, this was the replacement)

Irons and wedges arent going to change any time soon, gff is superior. I'll look at new irons when Mizuno comes out with new blades. Driver and putter seems to be the worst...

No , I don't think that I am that bad... but as a research scientist, I like to experiment things, I don't believe in marginal improvement in golf clubs anymore... FD can beat the shiiitttt out of me with his 25-yr old Ping Eye 2 clubs... Most of us tend to "buy" a good game, which is OK if we have extra money to spend... I have 4 set of clubs : Callay X-16, Callay BB2002, KingCobra II Oversized (my son is using it), and a clone set of King Cobra so I have not bought anything new for quite a while, including new gaybrid... I learn to play smarter, take less risks, what important to me is to have enough clubs to cover all gaps... someday I will get fitted with a last set just to prove to myself that this is all I can play with an optimized set, I may consider a forged iron set for the feel of it, but the end result is more important than forged vs cast iron or MB vs POS CB... If I could score in the 70s with a Kmart brand then I will

Switching drivers on a lark cost me at least two holes of my match with FD... taught me that different for different's sake is for people who don't care what they shoot.. :-)

But the rest of my bag is golden. I might bag the FG17s for fun, since I didn't seem to have any trouble hitting decent shots with them, but for solid steady play I've never come close to these Adams paddles.. the wedges I can't improve on... the XLS long clubs are great, especially that three wood.. longest, straightest, easiest to hit three wood I ever had, by a mile..

Ping is proof that old clubs can be as good as the new ones and there's no reason to change.. Lumpy Herron still plays Eye 2s.. if it weren't for manufacturer pressure and sponsorships that cause players to change gear every year, some of them never would..
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    You getting out today? We are having some great golf weather this week Q. I played Plymouth cc yesterday. I,m playing everyday I can. We had a few inches of snow the other day, now it's in the 70s for the high. Do you know which state has the most diverse weather? Jeopardy
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich
    You getting out today? We are having some great golf weather this week Q. I played Plymouth cc yesterday. I,m playing everyday I can. We had a few inches of snow the other day, now it's in the 70s for the high. Do you know which state has the most diverse weather? Jeopardy
    Indiana?! Yea I have been out quite a bit lately. Time is winding and once snow hits the ground and stays there, no more golf so I am milking every last bit of golf out of this season. Hopefully I can putt a little better before it's over for 2010 golf for me. Hence, the Cameron is arriving today haha.
    Golf

Indiana?! Yea I have been out quite a bit lately. Time is winding and once snow hits the ground and stays there, no more golf so I am milking every last bit of golf out of this season. Hopefully I can putt a little better before it's over for 2010 golf for me. Hence, the Cameron is arriving today haha.
    you can stretch your season by some time in Texas.. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Not to many clubs hold there value like a Cameron. I've had several. I went back to a Yes putter, and will no longer blame my putter, when it's the putting. Is your home course still open?
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    Switching drivers on a lark cost me at least two holes of my match with FD... taught me that different for different's sake is for people who don't care what they shoot.. :-)

But the rest of my bag is golden. I might bag the FG17s for fun, since I didn't seem to have any trouble hitting decent shots with them, but for solid steady play I've never come close to these Adams paddles.. the wedges I can't improve on... the XLS long clubs are great, especially that three wood.. longest, straightest, easiest to hit three wood I ever had, by a mile..

Ping is proof that old clubs can be as good as the new ones and there's no reason to change.. Lumpy Herron still plays Eye 2s.. if it weren't for manufacturer pressure and sponsorships that cause players to change gear every year, some of them never would..
    And which tour will Lumpy be playing next year?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

you can stretch your season by some time in Texas.. :-)
    Yep, I'll be there nov 22-28 and dec 20th-jan 3. We should get a winter golf series between Q and D.

12sandwich, yes my home course is still open. It's hell on earth trying to find the ball under all the leaves on the back 9. The front is more links style so not too many leaves out there hence I've only been playing the front...
    Golf

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    That was me several years ago. I'd go through 2 or 3 drivers in a year. I'd replace sets of irons 2 or 3 times a year. Wedges....putters....you name it. I did a lot of shaft switching and experimenting. I'd get something, then find something I didn't like about it....then buy something different. If the new equipment was better, out the old equipment went to e-bay.

I went through a lot of equipment, and did learn a lot about the playing characteristics of different shaft weights, torques, kickpoints, and the playing characteristics of changing centers of gravities and weight distributions of woods. I became aware of the difference that sole contours made for the playing characteristics of fairway woods, hybrids, irons, and wedges. It was a very expensive education, but I did get a good deal of my money back out the back end on e-bay.

About 2 years ago, I all of my experimenting seemed to gel in my current setup, and I haven't replaced a club in 2 seasons.
    I don't recommend this approach for most people, but I have enough disposable income that it was probably no more proportionately expensive than people who buy a lot of audio, video, or camera equipment in their quest to feed their passion/hobbies.

Because of all of the first hand experience I acquired, I am repeatedly amused by some of the ignorant opinions expressed with great enthusiasm by some people on this board. I've been there....I tried it.....it worked for me or it didn't work for me. If I tried something and got a particular result, nobody can convince me that I didn't experience it. Someone else might have a different result with the same equipment, but I know what works in my own hands, and find it absurd that someone can tell me differently about what I experienced for myself. "To each his own" and "whatever works in your hands" have always been my mantra when dealing with equipment issues. Also,...... "demo, demo, demo" whenever possible.
    Can we just drop the whole wedge issue already. Nobody ever claimed that your Scratch wedges didn't "work for you." The issue was never one of function. The problem I have with "custom" Scratch wedges is they were sold under false pretenses. I don't think it is right to take a Chinese sweatshop produced open model blank and market it as custom Japanese forging. They even lied about the metallurgy......I wonder if its possible to track down some of the other companies using the same blank but charging 1/6th of the price.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    Can we just drop the whole wedge issue already. Nobody ever claimed that your Scratch wedges didn't "work for you." The issue was never one of function. The problem I have with "custom" Scratch wedges is they were sold under false pretenses. I don't think it is right to take a Chinese sweatshop produced open model blank and market it as custom Japanese forging. They even lied about the metallurgy......I wonder if its possible to track down some of the other companies using the same blank but charging 1/6th of the price.
    The greater the rationalization, the longer and harder one must work to defend it.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    The greater the rationalization, the longer and harder one must work to defend it.
    Hey! Lorezo's back! Now if we can just get Pingman un-banned, it'll be the best Christmas EVER! Glad to see it was a cool vacation rather than a hospital stay.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Irons:

Driver:

Hybrid:
    putter:

Wedges:

3 sets of irons in a year is nothing. If you knew how many irons I went through between 1998 and 2001 you'd be shocked. I think I had an addiction back then to buying golf equipment. I'm more of an iron ho than anything else. I don't really change drivers or anything else very often.

This is all by memory but this is what I've bought and sold, or just returned and got credit for this year.

Titleist 990 irons
    Mizuno Comp-EZ irons
    Ping i5 irons
    Ping G15 Graphite irons (I bought these with the sole intention of reselling..banked $175).
    Callaway 2002 Big Bertha Irons
    Wilson Fi5 Irons
    Titleist 762 irons
    Ping Eye 2 irons

That's a lot of irons for just one year. Most of them were pretty cheap (less than $200) but with Ebay fees increasing it's not worth it. For the G15 irons I had to pay $50 in selling fees and then $25 to Paypal. Complete ripoff.
    Ping ISI Irons (I made $150 on these on resell).

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    Hey! Lorezo's back! Now if we can just get Pingman un-banned, it'll be the best Christmas EVER! Glad to see it was a cool vacation rather than a hospital stay.
    Leaving again next week until after Thanksgiving. It's very sad what's happened to a holiday that was once about religious freedom. Now it's all about eating something so mediocre it's a pass on the other 364 days. As noone in my ex-inlaw's family could cook, it was my job back then. The only way I seemed to be able to make it edible was by deep frying it.

Where I'm going, I'll probaby lightly bread some veal, maybe a light tomato bisque sauce for it and bake it while preparing rosemary jalapeno dressing for the salad and small baked potatoes drizzled in olive oil salt and grated romano.

Maybe I'll do a pan of tiramisu for desert. A couple of bottles of Mendoza or if the company's really good perhaps something a little more exciting.

You guys can all have your growth hormone infused fowl and fall asleep on the couch while watching a parade of mediocre football teams, the scent of musty, old relatives overpowering your own flatulence.
    GR lives...

The only way I seemed to be able to make it edible was by deep frying it.
    You've discovered the secret to Southern cuisine. Don't publicize it, though, or the mean weight of surrounding people will increase by 40 lbs.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    You've discovered the secret to Southern cuisine. Don't publicize it, though, or the mean weight of surrounding people will increase by 40 lbs.
    Sadly fried foods are probably less healthy than smoking. Although at least for fried foods there's angioplasty.
    GR lives...

Sadly fried foods are probably less healthy than smoking. Although at least for fried foods there's angioplasty.
    Obesity will kill you faster than anything else. How many super fat people do you see walking around in their 60's? An interesting study came out recently that showed that both moderate and heavy drinkers outlive non drinkers. Of course, any study can have holes in it. For example, a lot of non drinkers are people that were once out of control, all day long drinkers. They may have done severe damage before quitting, thus dying early. You see lots of smokers in their 60's and 70's and lots of heavy drinkers.

One of the best things I used to do was go on a 6-day golf trip with a group of 24 guys. The age range ran from 30 years old to 78 years old. The guys in their late 60's who were either overweight or smoked looked much older than the guys who didn't. There was this one guy who was 77 years old who walked 3 miles every morning, ate fruit & vegetables and didn't drink or smoke and he looked amazing next to the guys who were 10 years younger and smoked or were overweight.

I guess it's time to make a big change.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Obesity will kill you faster than anything else. How many super fat people do you see walking around in their 60's? An interesting study came out recently that showed that both moderate and heavy drinkers outlive non drinkers. Of course, any study can have holes in it. For example, a lot of non drinkers are people that were once out of control, all day long drinkers. They may have done severe damage before quitting, thus dying early. You see lots of smokers in their 60's and 70's and lots of heavy drinkers.

One of the best things I used to do was go on a 6-day golf trip with a group of 24 guys. The age range ran from 30 years old to 78 years old. The guys in their late 60's who were either overweight or smoked looked much older than the guys who didn't. There was this one guy who was 77 years old who walked 3 miles every morning, ate fruit & vegetables and didn't drink or smoke and he looked amazing next to the guys who were 10 years younger and smoked or were overweight.

I guess it's time to make a big change.
    Thank god for that study. I'd hate to cut out the drinking. As far as obesity, there's evidence calorie consumption has more to due with aging and longevity than anything else yet identified. Super thin people have an advantage. But I have no aspiration to be super thin when food is so important to me.

A real eye-opener for me has been the gym. Guys that stay fit into their 60-s and 70-s look so much younger than their lard laden brethren. And they claim their equipment works better too, which is reason enough for me.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    And which tour will Lumpy be playing next year?
    I'm going to assume that you are now a more successful golfer than Mr. Herron, and defer to your advice as to which tour he should be playing. :-)

my point is that he had made a living playing golf and has not changed his irons in more than twenty years. The big boys have new irons every year, but do you think Kenny Perry's R9 irons are making him a better player than his R7 irons from two years ago?

Me neither.

Pros change their clubs because of sponsor pressure to jack sales of the latest version. They would not make near as many gear changes if selling merchandise was not part of the equation. Herron, spectacularly unspectacular as he is, still serves to prove the point. He does not NEED to change his irons because of sponsor pressure, so he doesn't. If more pros had no sponsor pressure, there would be more pros NOT changing their gear.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

lots of studies show that caloric deprivation, that is to say FEELING HUNGRY CONSTANTLY but getting JUST enough nutrition to stay alive, extends life significantly.

The more you eat, the more oxidation and other processes happen, and the more 'free radicals' (by products of chemical reactions) are floating around degrading cellular structure and so forth. Hence the current popularity of "anti oxidants" to capture these and get them out of the body.

The less you eat, the more pure you remain in terms of these by products (think of the ashes that come up out of a fire.. oxidation is the same process, slower and smaller, in the body, and we get that sort of free-floating non-assimilable junk in our systems).

and let Big Dave tell you, we don't need all that we eat. We don't need half of it.

this week we found out about that study where the professor ate nothing but twinkies and doritos and lost 27 pounds in ten weeks. He was counting calories only. it worked, and moreover, he got better cholesterol and better blood sugar too.

This comes from losing weight. Being fat makes you sick, and being thin makes you healthier.

I"m sick, but only about losing 6-5 to FD.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

lots of studies show that caloric deprivation, that is to say FEELING HUNGRY CONSTANTLY but getting JUST enough nutrition to stay alive, extends life significantly.

The more you eat, the more oxidation and other processes happen, and the more 'free radicals' (by products of chemical reactions) are floating around degrading cellular structure and so forth. Hence the current popularity of "anti oxidants" to capture these and get them out of the body.

The less you eat, the more pure you remain in terms of these by products (think of the ashes that come up out of a fire.. oxidation is the same process, slower and smaller, in the body, and we get that sort of free-floating non-assimilable junk in our systems).

and let Big Dave tell you, we don't need all that we eat. We don't need half of it.

this week we found out about that study where the professor ate nothing but twinkies and doritos and lost 27 pounds in ten weeks. He was counting calories only. it worked, and moreover, he got better cholesterol and better blood sugar too.

This comes from losing weight. Being fat makes you sick, and being thin makes you healthier.

Well, I don't really need risotto or calamari, but I do need pasta, well prepared veal and, um, it's a long list. I might be ok with grazing raw veggies for a day and a half in order to get to the good stuff.

As far as going through life hungry, I can honestly say I'm just about always hungry, even after meals. So since I'm rarely satiated, I might as well keep the calories well under control.
    GR lives...

Well, I don't really need risotto or calamari, but I do need pasta, well prepared veal and, um, it's a long list. I might be ok with grazing raw veggies for a day and a half in order to get to the good stuff.

As far as going through life hungry, I can honestly say I'm just about always hungry, even after meals. So since I'm rarely satiated, I might as well keep the calories well under control.
    Thanks for making me think about calamari. :-(

I thought you were banned.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Thank god for that study. I'd hate to cut out the drinking. As far as obesity, there's evidence calorie consumption has more to due with aging and longevity than anything else yet identified. Super thin people have an advantage. But I have no aspiration to be super thin when food is so important to me.

A real eye-opener for me has been the gym. Guys that stay fit into their 60-s and 70-s look so much younger than their lard laden brethren. And they claim their equipment works better too, which is reason enough for me.
    Hopefully Not A German will "weigh" in on this matter.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Yep, no more McD's for me for breakfast and then a big buffet lunch with hamburgers and chips like we had that day. Anytime you want to take back the title you can come on down to So Cal and I'll find a great course. I be here waitin' and I'll do all the video.

I'm going to assume that you are now a more successful golfer than Mr. Herron, and defer to your advice as to which tour he should be playing. :-)

my point is that he had made a living playing golf and has not changed his irons in more than twenty years. The big boys have new irons every year, but do you think Kenny Perry's R9 irons are making him a better player than his R7 irons from two years ago?

Me neither.

Pros change their clubs because of sponsor pressure to jack sales of the latest version. They would not make near as many gear changes if selling merchandise was not part of the equation. Herron, spectacularly unspectacular as he is, still serves to prove the point. He does not NEED to change his irons because of sponsor pressure, so he doesn't. If more pros had no sponsor pressure, there would be more pros NOT changing their gear.
    I got your point big fella, but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to flame Ping users.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

There is irrefutable proof that people who consume less calories live longer, but like you I love food too much to be skinny. I'm semi disciplined and am aiming for a fairly long life but a more enjoyable one than living an extra 5 or 10 years on a hunger strike.

There is also even stronger proof that exercise is even more important when you get older than when you are young. At 40 the body begins to slow down nataurally producing growth hormones, which younger guys get no matter what they do. Exercising, especially resistance training, helps the body to keep producing growth hormones. When I was a kid I got taught boxing by a 75 year old ex national bantamweight champion who had trained every day of his life, and if you ignored the leathery skin this guy looked like a 50 year old. He was the fittest and toughest over 50 I've ever seen, and could run rings around any of us teenagers who trained there.

There is irrefutable proof that people who consume less calories live longer, but like you I love food too much to be skinny. I'm semi disciplined and am aiming for a fairly long life but a more enjoyable one than living an extra 5 or 10 years on a hunger strike.

There is also even stronger proof that exercise is even more important when you get older than when you are young. At 40 the body begins to slow down nataurally producing growth hormones, which younger guys get no matter what they do. Exercising, especially resistance training, helps the body to keep producing growth hormones. When I was a kid I got taught boxing by a 75 year old ex national bantamweight champion who had trained every day of his life, and if you ignored the leathery skin this guy looked like a 50 year old. He was the fittest and toughest over 50 I've ever seen, and could run rings around any of us teenagers who trained there.
    Are you sure he wasn't one of those kangaroo boxers?

I went on one of those high protein low carb diets about 7-8 years ago and the weight just dropped off effortlessly and I was much more healthy in general. Fewer colds & flus, asthma completely cleared up. But in hindsight I realise now that the reason it really worked is that I cut my calorie intake drastically not the high protein. I also made better food choices i.e. lots of quality fruit & veges, whole grains etc vs starchy carbs, white bread, pasta, potatoes etc.

As for slowing down I've read that the decline starts at 25 years of age. Up till then we are still growing. After that we are dying!

Agree weight training is a great way to maintain muscle strength & tone as well as strengthening bones, joints etc as the body produces HGH to repair the microscopic tissue damage done through weight training. That's why you feel so sore after your 1st training session after a long layoff.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    I went on one of those high protein low carb diets about 7-8 years ago and the weight just dropped off effortlessly and I was much more healthy in general. Fewer colds & flus, asthma completely cleared up. But in hindsight I realise now that the reason it really worked is that I cut my calorie intake drastically not the high protein. I also made better food choices i.e. lots of quality fruit & veges, whole grains etc vs starchy carbs, white bread, pasta, potatoes etc.

As for slowing down I've read that the decline starts at 25 years of age. Up till then we are still growing. After that we are dying!

Agree weight training is a great way to maintain muscle strength & tone as well as strengthening bones, joints etc as the body produces HGH to repair the microscopic tissue damage done through weight training. That's why you feel so sore after your 1st training session after a long layoff.
    The problem with the high protein diet is the fact that it's no fun and sucks. Who wants to abstain from bread? It's impossible to stay on that diet for any length of time. The key is just to eat less and eat a little better.

The problem with the high protein diet is the fact that it's no fun and sucks. Who wants to abstain from bread? It's impossible to stay on that diet for any length of time. The key is just to eat less and eat a little better.
    You could still have bread on that diet. It's just a supplement to the meal (i.e. about 20-30% of the calories) rather than the main meal (i.e. about 80-90% of the calories).

I still follow the fundamentals of that diet in my main meals. Only problem is I supplement it with far too much beer and other snacks between meals.

Now where the f#ck am I?

You could still have bread on that diet. It's just a supplement to the meal (i.e. about 20-30% of the calories) rather than the main meal (i.e. about 80-90% of the calories).

I still follow the fundamentals of that diet in my main meals. Only problem is I supplement it with far too much beer and other snacks between meals.
    LOL you guys get distracted really easy don't you? Anyways, I went on a HUGE health binge this summer, did cardio in the morning (burned 800-1000 calories in the hour using a program called Insanity) then lifted at night for 5 days a week. Ate only chicken breasts and brocolli, 10 egg whites in the morning with half a wheat bagel, protein shakes, the works. once a week I would eat beef or pork. No heavy drinking. I'll tell you what... HUGE difference in my health, I had clean schits aka no wipers, my skin was better, my cuticles weren't cracked in for the first time ever, had a bunch of energy, all a round better. Then I hurt my wrist and fell off the wagon and now I can't seem to get motivated enough to get back into the swing of things. I've experienced the benefits but eating crappy is sooooo good!
    Golf

You sound like you were on a moderate high protein diet Kiwi, not the Atkins diet which is what FD is probably referring to. On the Atkins 'high protein' diet you have nothing but flesh, flesh and more flesh at every meal. No breads, no grains, no legumes, and from what I've seen no fruits or vegetables either. The reason people lose so much weight on those diets is that there are fuk all nutrients. IMO it's the carbohydrates which fire the body and give you energy, not proteins. I knew a guy who went on that Atkins diet and he developed some serious health issues pretty quickly. Protein is the most mythical element of the human diet. Almost every person on a western diet would be getting way more protein than they need, which causes all sorts of problems like kidney stones, which from what I've heard aren't much fun. Arnie has gone on record saying that the most protein you would need is 1 gram for every 2 pounds of bodyweight, and he should know what he's talking about. I've known some dikhead gym junkies who were taking in more than 250g of protein in a day, and that was only the protein they could measure. Muscleheads don't take into account the protein that is in grains, vegatable, fruits etc.

My son and his wife moved from California to North Carolina a couple of years ago. At the state fair, you can get deep fried.....ANYTHING. They even have deep fried butter! Yum......
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

The reason you are always jungry Lo is that you eat all that Italian food. Not enough butter and fats in your diet. And before anybody starts about cholestroal, I've been eating the hell out of bacon, eggs, butter and tons of fried food all my life and my levels are just perfect. I think what it comes down to is what kind of life style you have. Worked on the farm and construction for my entire life and never sat on my ass in an office and counted beans or listened to a phone. Exercise is for people that live and work in the cities and burbs and commute to their cubicles indoors and never see the light of day.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Yep, no more McD's for me for breakfast and then a big buffet lunch with hamburgers and chips like we had that day. Anytime you want to take back the title you can come on down to So Cal and I'll find a great course. I be here waitin' and I'll do all the video.
    I'll be along soon enough, champ... :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135
    The reason you are always jungry Lo is that you eat all that Italian food. Not enough butter and fats in your diet. And before anybody starts about cholestroal, I've been eating the hell out of bacon, eggs, butter and tons of fried food all my life and my levels are just perfect. I think what it comes down to is what kind of life style you have. Worked on the farm and construction for my entire life and never sat on my ass in an office and counted beans or listened to a phone. Exercise is for people that live and work in the cities and burbs and commute to their cubicles indoors and never see the light of day.
    I think your cholesterol levels might be a result of good genes more than good management. And your argument on a general level is flawed on two levels. First you are using only yourself as the test case for your argument, you need a broader test subject to make any meaningful concusions. It would be like arguing that smoking isn't harmful because you know someone who smoked all their life and didn't get cancer. Secondly, high cholesterol is not the only danger of fatty foods. You can have good cholesterol levels and still drop dead of a heart attack. There are innumerable research studies which have concluded that diet is directly linked to cholesterol levels, and that high fat foods are linked to stroke, diabetes, heart disease, kidney and liver disease, and all sorts of cancers.

I totally agree with you about being active and exercising being very important for overall health, but saying that diet is irrelevant because you have low cholesterol levels is drawing a long bow.

The only arguement I might make is that I live in a farming community and there are sure a lot of 80 year old people around here that worked hard all their lives and are still going strong. Didn't need to work out or worry about diets. The change in a rural life style to a urban life style could have an impact on things. Just my opinion.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

The only arguement I might make is that I live in a farming community and there are sure a lot of 80 year old people around here that worked hard all their lives and are still going strong. Didn't need to work out or worry about diets. The change in a rural life style to a urban life style could have an impact on things. Just my opinion.
    I think the fact you and those 80 year olds grew up in a rural farming community means that your diets were probably a lot better than modern diets. You mention bacon and eggs and butter, but on the plus side I'd guess that you would have eaten lot's of whole foods with very little processed foods, and probably not as much sugar and salt as a fast food diet. Salt and refined sugar are the silent killers, but are probably every bit as deadly as saturated fat. It's almost impossible to cut salt out from your diet, it's in every bloody thing, especially meat. Processed foods are usually low in fibre and high in salt, sugar and preservatives, no matter how healthy they try to tell you they are.

I think you are correct sir. Sometimes the old fashioned way of living isn't so bad.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

I think you are correct sir. Sometimes the old fashioned way of living isn't so bad.
    I think that...and .... we eat too much in America,,, 1/2 chicken for a meal at restaurant? 22oz steak? no wonder why we are more over weighed than the rest of the world... I try to eat only when I am hungry and that seems to help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	euro_vs_america[1].jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	2525  

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    I think that...and .... we eat too much in America,,, 1/2 chicken for a meal at restaurant? 22oz steak? no wonder why we are more over weighed than the rest of the world... I try to eat only when I am hungry and that seems to help
    when I was in Europe I lost fifty pounds... not because I ate a lot differently, but because gas was $8 a gallon, cars are tiny, there are no frickin parking places and you have to walk a helluva lot.

plus I walked 18 holes about three times a week.

I was glad to lose the weight, but it isn't just because they have any kind of magic approach to food.. in Brussels, a big bowl of spaghetti carbonara with a raw egg cracked on top, or a pan fried grilled cheese sandwich "croque monsieur", a typical Belgian lunch.... maybe they have a bit less top-of-mind awareness of food because their broadcasting is all state-owned and they don't get as many ads in their face as we do.. but it's also because of the REST of their lifestyle, much of which is sort of compulsive due to central govt. command economies and high taxes. Going anywhere? Get ready to do a lot of walking. Driving is expensive and inconvenient, and public transport is great but it still means a LOT of walking..

You can eat as much as you want in Europe, and they have McD and lots of other fast food. their relative lack of obesity, IMHO from having been there for years, is about the exercise.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Some people are predisposed to high cholesterol even though they exercise on a regular basis and eat reasonably healthy. You sound like someone bragging about not losing their hair because they led a good life. In other words, not a very educated statement.

That picture is misleading. Euro chicks can have bangin bodies, but not attractive in the face. As for the fatty.. I've never been a big Oklahoma fan :/

I occasionally work out with a guy who's kind of like my Yoda. He's over 70 but he's way younger physically and has been pretty ahead of his time diet and life-style wise. This guy still goes out, hangs with the guys and takes care of business. People ask him how long he wants to live and he says until he's physically unable to be active and mentally young, whether that's a year or decades.
    GR lives...

about a month ago i got tired of eating fast food all the time (since i'm a golf instructor i rarely have time to have a lunch so it's just grab something as i go) i don't like fast food and i was just feeling tired all the time... this was probably s combination of how i was eating as well as the amount of sleep i get, haha... so i decided to do something about it...

i became a vegetarian, and during the day i only eat fruit (and bread of some sort usually a bagel or english muffin in the morning, along with a shake or milk), at night it's usually a salad and vegetables of some sort, getting enough protein is the one thing i've had to watch a little and occasionally i'll take a supplement... ive never had problem with my weight or anything i'm 5'11" and at my heaviest ever i was just under 170lbs so i haven't really seen any weight loss and i wasn't really looking for any, but i feel better and like im never really tired during the day even though my sleep hours have stayed the same... i think that fast foods really do a lot more harm than people think they do, but that doesn't matter i think people will always eat that way because it's convenient...

when I was in Europe I lost fifty pounds... not because I ate a lot differently, but because gas was $8 a gallon, cars are tiny, there are no frickin parking places and you have to walk a helluva lot.

plus I walked 18 holes about three times a week.

I was glad to lose the weight, but it isn't just because they have any kind of magic approach to food.. in Brussels, a big bowl of spaghetti carbonara with a raw egg cracked on top, or a pan fried grilled cheese sandwich "croque monsieur", a typical Belgian lunch.... maybe they have a bit less top-of-mind awareness of food because their broadcasting is all state-owned and they don't get as many ads in their face as we do.. but it's also because of the REST of their lifestyle, much of which is sort of compulsive due to central govt. command economies and high taxes. Going anywhere? Get ready to do a lot of walking. Driving is expensive and inconvenient, and public transport is great but it still means a LOT of walking..

You can eat as much as you want in Europe, and they have McD and lots of other fast food. their relative lack of obesity, IMHO from having been there for years, is about the exercise.
    big Dave... I agree with you about exercise, but let's do a mass balance: input=output+accummulation ... if output is less than input that means IMO calories have to be accummulated somewhere in our body. My cousin who is an open heart surgeon in Montréal who jokingly told me (right or wrong) that cheese pizza is a crime in America (I guess he opens patients' chest everyday to see fat build-up).
    Go to Montréal, I don't think they are as fat as us here in USA, granted that they may have European genes... My open heart (cousin) surgeon told me that in general there is nothing wrong with our food intake, it's the portion that's killing most of us... In the past 10 yrs when I do business travel I try to either cut down intake or eat more salad, no COKE in the past 10 yrs (well, I lie, maybe once in a blue moon)

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    That picture is misleading. Euro chicks can have bangin bodies, but not attractive in the face. As for the fatty.. I've never been a big Oklahoma fan :/
    Who cares about the front, do you mind bangging that body from the rear?

I can't explain why, I really can't. Maybe it's portion size, content, exercise or some combination. In most Euro countries those things are less of a problem. Maybe it has something to do with how children are fed here. Europeans don't push as much food, particularly s.hit like McDonalds on their kids.

Whatever the reason, this has become a country of porkers whereas in most of Europe it's the rare person that looks like they glutton their way through life.

Last night I made huge salads followed by small portions of fish (convection ovens do the most incredible job baking fish filets) and quinoa. If I'd eaten out, to enjoy the meal as much as we did, I'd have taken on maybe twice the calories or more.
    GR lives...

I can't explain why, I really can't. Maybe it's portion size, content, exercise or some combination. In most Euro countries those things are less of a problem. Maybe it has something to do with how children are fed here. Europeans don't push as much food, particularly s.hit like McDonalds on their kids.

Whatever the reason, this has become a country of porkers whereas in most of Europe it's the rare person that looks like they glutton their way through life.

Last night I made huge salads followed by small portions of fish (convection ovens do the most incredible job baking fish filets) and quinoa. If I'd eaten out, to enjoy the meal as much as we did, I'd have taken on maybe twice the calories or more.
    I can explain why. Americans eat huge portions of food along with tons of junk food snack items. Go to Bucca De Beppo and see what you get when you order a simple plate of sphagetti. The amount of food is disgustingly enormous.

The Scooter Store is one of the fastest growing companies in the US. I think that tells you one thing...we are a lazy nation.

When I traveled a lot to Germany (especially Munster which is north of Dusserdorf -sp-?), one night we went to a german steak house per my request... when the waitress brought out only a piece of steak, I asked my German friend "what happened to salad and side orders like in States, he laughed at me saying we have to pay extra here... interesting... I think Italian foods in northern Italy (Milano, Varase, Venice, lake Como ...) are some of the best

Lorenz... Huge salads with fish/or chicken sound good to me

I can explain why. Americans eat huge portions of food along with tons of junk food snack items. Go to Bucca De Beppo and see what you get when you order a simple plate of sphagetti. The amount of food is disgustingly enormous.

The Scooter Store is one of the fastest growing companies in the US. I think that tells you one thing...we are a lazy nation.
    Italians handle the calorie demands of pasta well because we control portion size and during the cooking process burn half the calories of our meal talking with our hands.
    GR lives...

Buca's food though is phucking fantastic. Their pizza is also very good. They give you wtf portions thinking you'll share with the entire table and not just eat the entire thing by yourself.

Pky - She looks good from the back yes, but at some point you're going to want to view her fun lady parts. You're going to catch a view of her face either at a glance or she's going to make you look up at her. Would you want to look up and see Dave P's face on her body? I know I wouldn't want to

Sorry Dave, no offense. You'd make an ugly chick

As I've mentioned previously I went on a low carb/high protein diet and enjoyed much improved health as well as effortless weight loss which made me believe that starchy carbs are the main evil in our diets. Then I travel to Germany where we are fed bread rolls, bread rolls, bread rolls at every meal/snack. Also if I ordered meat out it would usually be a huge portion accompanied by a mountain of potatoes. And yet none of my German friends had even an ounce of spare fat on them. Amongst Germans in general I noticed far fewer overweight/obese people.

Then I travel through Italy where huge portions of pasta abound and again very few fat/overweight people. So much for my low carb theories???

I agree with Dave that walking is something the Euros do much more than us but I also think that in general they take a much more sensible approach to food and eat in moderation rather than the extreme binge eating that seems to predominate in US, UK, Aus & NZ. Same with drinking. They can sensibly enjoy beer or wine with their meals as opposed to binge drinking and getting drunk like we like to do.

Just my 0.02 cents worth?

Now where the f#ck am I?

that's the nicest thing anyone here's ever said to me. sniff.

I LOVE YOU TOO, MAN...
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Buca's food though is phucking fantastic. Their pizza is also very good. They give you wtf portions thinking you'll share with the entire table and not just eat the entire thing by yourself.

Pky - She looks good from the back yes, but at some point you're going to want to view her fun lady parts. You're going to catch a view of her face either at a glance or she's going to make you look up at her. Would you want to look up and see Dave P's face on her body? I know I wouldn't want to

A lady who looks that great from a back end, and you could see 1/4 of her face, would look better than average

that's the nicest thing anyone here's ever said to me. sniff.

I LOVE YOU TOO, MAN...
    LOL. That said, the concept completely sickens me.
    GR lives...

Irons:

Driver:

Hybrid:
    putter:

Wedges:

Qtong, what is your handicap? I'm wondering why you are playing MP-68 irons with extra stiff shafts. Unless you're below a 5 cap you'd be better off with the X-16 irons.

As I've mentioned previously I went on a low carb/high protein diet and enjoyed much improved health as well as effortless weight loss which made me believe that starchy carbs are the main evil in our diets. Then I travel to Germany where we are fed bread rolls, bread rolls, bread rolls at every meal/snack. Also if I ordered meat out it would usually be a huge portion accompanied by a mountain of potatoes. And yet none of my German friends had even an ounce of spare fat on them. Amongst Germans in general I noticed far fewer overweight/obese people.

Then I travel through Italy where huge portions of pasta abound and again very few fat/overweight people. So much for my low carb theories???

I agree with Dave that walking is something the Euros do much more than us but I also think that in general they take a much more sensible approach to food and eat in moderation rather than the extreme binge eating that seems to predominate in US, UK, Aus & NZ. Same with drinking. They can sensibly enjoy beer or wine with their meals as opposed to binge drinking and getting drunk like we like to do.

Just my 0.02 cents worth?
    One big reason there are so many fat people in Oz and NZ comes down to one thing. Alcohol. Beer is loaded with carbs and calories, and wine is shocking. Add to that the fact that the favourite mixer for spirits is coke and you get the picture. The times in my life when for whatever reason I stay away from night clubs and stay off the drink, my weight plummets no matter how much I eat.

Another thing about the western (US, Oz, NZ) diet that packs on the weight is soft drink (soda for you Americans). Every time you see someone buy junk food you can guarantee that a can of coke will be accompanying the meal. The extra sugar your body takes in from soft drink is ridiculous. In the US they take it to another level with their super sized meals. They come with something like a quarter gallon of soft drink. I can't even calculate how much sugar that is, but when you consider a can of coke is about 12 tea spoons of sugar, and there are well over 3 cans in a quarter gallon, it adds up to probably more calories than the rest of the meal. I know someone who stopped drinking full sugar soft drink, and they lost about 30% of their body weight. The only problem is finding something that tastes as good. Diet drinks taste crap and aspartame is toxic, beer has just as many calories as soft drink, and water just doesn't cut it.

As a notorious wino, I sometimes wonder how much more I could eat if I abstained. But on the soft drink front, a couple of years ago I switched to unsweetened iced tea and found that does it for me and tea has anti-oxidant properties. Water only works if it's sparkling but the mineral content is a problem if you have too much.
    GR lives...

Qtong, what is your handicap? I'm wondering why you are playing MP-68 irons with extra stiff shafts. Unless you're below a 5 cap you'd be better off with the X-16 irons.
    Haha last time I went out and played with only irons from about 6600 yards I shot 3 over on 18. Throw in the driver and I'm a low 80's kind of guy. But... gotta learn how to hit that thing sooner or later.... I was fitted to the x100s and as for the blades... it was the wierdest thing my buddy has ever seen. I immediately hit the ball better when I switched to blades. Plus I get more feedback on mishits now that I can play a bit better. I tried to hit an old school BB the other day and couldnt hit one shot... It's all in the head I guess.
    Golf

As a notorious wino, I sometimes wonder how much more I could eat if I abstained. But on the soft drink front, a couple of years ago I switched to unsweetened iced tea and found that does it for me and tea has anti-oxidant properties. Water only works if it's sparkling but the mineral content is a problem if you have too much.
    I too do not drink any sodas and drink iced tea. Different flavors and try to get green teas which have more anti-oxidants than dark teas. Water is essential though and I drink 8 oz's before I drink a coffee or any other drink including the iced teas. We really need more water than most of us drink.

Btw - softdrinks have about one teaspoon of sugar per oz.

3 sets of irons in a year is nothing. If you knew how many irons I went through between 1998 and 2001 you'd be shocked. I think I had an addiction back then to buying golf equipment. I'm more of an iron ho than anything else. I don't really change drivers or anything else very often.

This is all by memory but this is what I've bought and sold, or just returned and got credit for this year.

Titleist 990 irons
    Mizuno Comp-EZ irons
    Ping i5 irons
    Ping G15 Graphite irons (I bought these with the sole intention of reselling..banked $175).
    Callaway 2002 Big Bertha Irons
    Wilson Fi5 Irons
    Titleist 762 irons
    Ping Eye 2 irons

That's a lot of irons for just one year. Most of them were pretty cheap (less than $200) but with Ebay fees increasing it's not worth it. For the G15 irons I had to pay $50 in selling fees and then $25 to Paypal. Complete ripoff.
    Ping ISI Irons (I made $150 on these on resell).
    How long shall you fight against the goads, my son? Buy the MP-67s and start golfing in bliss . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Who is talking healthy?

I had a friend put it this way: "If the doctor tells you to cut back on foods with high cholesterol because you might have a stroke or heart attack, and the next week you die in a car accident, you just as well to have eaten what you want in your life."

We're all going to die of something some day, Lorenzo. Why not pick your bullet?
    Last edited by SoonerBS; 11-10-2010 at 08:34 PM.

You've seen me on Big Dave's videos. I'm an Oklahoma fan, and I am not overweight. That blows your theory all to hell, I guess . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Who is talking healthy?

I had a friend put it this way: "If the doctor tells you to cut back on foods with high cholesterol because you might have a stroke or heart attack, and the next week you die in a car accident, you just as well to have eaten what you want in your life."

We're all going to die of something some day, Lorenzo. Why not pick your bullet?
    Not sure if the family members looking after invalids who can't talk and can't piss or shitt without help would share your philosophy.

Who is talking healthy?

I agree to some extent. But after watching relatives wane away in care facilities, I'm more focused on avoiding the scenario NAH describes. I hope I die before I can't crap without creating stress for loved ones.
    GR lives...

I agree to some extent. But after watching relatives wane away in care facilities, I'm more focused on avoiding the scenario NAH describes. I hope I die before I can't crap without creating stress for loved ones.
    That one thought alone is enough for me to justify legalized assisted suicide. F' any of the test like terminal illness. If I can't clean my privates then I should have the right to end it with medical aid.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    That one thought alone is enough for me to justify legalized assisted suicide. F' any of the test like terminal illness. If I can't clean my privates then I should have the right to end it with medical aid.
    Quality of life is what it is all about. Without that there is no life.

I have a close friend whose father was as fit as a fiddle at age 73 but was killed doing one of his favorite activities - cycling. It was a tragedy because he should have lived at least another 10 years and it was tragic that my friend never had the opportunity to see him one last time. On the other hand he died in great health doing what he loved and was gone just like that.

I have other friends whose loved ones have been diagnosed with terminal illness and have lingered on. Their suffering is shared by those around them and it is very hard for everyone concerned.

Maybe going quickly is best? I dunno.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I made a rare visit to KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) because this particular place has the spicy chicken (Taraval street)...

Absolutely fantastic, but they actually turned me down on the chicken thighs because they were old (perhaps a warning not to go for the breast and wing, that I did?)...

Everything was old and they were about to close up, but they were close to my cop station, so I went for it...

B!tches, I had diarrhea like a little b!tch all day today, moaning like a little biatch on the toilet, reading an old issue of Fine Homebuilding...

In a strange way, it was a pleasant experience; that chicken was good, and I will go back for it, but not before they close; I will get it fresh next time...

I am a black man because I love fried chicken and watermelon. All the blacks love fried chicken and watermelon here in these parts.

spank
    It's not my fault God made me this beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by spanqdoggie
    I made a rare visit to KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) because this particular place has the spicy chicken (Taraval street)...

Absolutely fantastic, but they actually turned me down on the chicken thighs because they were old (perhaps a warning not to go for the breast and wing, that I did?)...

Everything was old and they were about to close up, but they were close to my cop station, so I went for it...

B!tches, I had diarrhea like a little b!tch all day today, moaning like a little biatch on the toilet, reading an old issue of Fine Homebuilding...

In a strange way, it was a pleasant experience; that chicken was good, and I will go back for it, but not before they close; I will get it fresh next time...

I am a black man because I love fried chicken and watermelon. All the blacks love fried chicken and watermelon here in these parts.

spank
    Chickens aren't easy to cook properly. You have your white parts, your dark parts. They can be violently separated but aren't equal. The only healthy part of a chicken are the breasts.

There was a story where I grew up about a guy that got caught in public using a raw cleaned whole chicken as a sex toy. Maybe it was just urban legend but after it made the rounds chicken prices went down while veal and beef went up.
    GR lives...

Chickens aren't easy to cook properly. You have your white parts, your dark parts. They can be violently separated but aren't equal. The only healthy part of a chicken are the breasts.

There was a story where I grew up about a guy that got caught in public using a raw cleaned whole chicken as a sex toy. Maybe it was just urban legend but after it made the rounds chicken prices went down while veal and beef went up.
    I've always liked breasts. They should be natural though.

Katie Perry
    Kelly Brook
    Heather Graham

How long shall you fight against the goads, my son? Buy the MP-67s and start golfing in bliss . . . . .
    Sooner, I have always wanted to put those in the bag and give them on honest try. Maybe I'll do it in the next match with Dave. I like the MP-63 as well.

I've always liked breasts. They should be natural though.

Katie Perry
    Kelly Brook
    Heather Graham
    Salma Hayek
    Scarlet Johansen
    Sarah Palin
    GR lives...

Sarah Palin
    She definitely has some nice cans. I must be a biatch keeping those babies under wraps all the time. She ought to just flaunt em...what is she worried about...hurting her credibility...lol...

Actually, I think Bristol would have a nice rack too if she wasn't so plump everywhere else.

Haha last time I went out and played with only irons from about 6600 yards I shot 3 over on 18. Throw in the driver and I'm a low 80's kind of guy. But... gotta learn how to hit that thing sooner or later.... I was fitted to the x100s and as for the blades... it was the wierdest thing my buddy has ever seen. I immediately hit the ball better when I switched to blades. Plus I get more feedback on mishits now that I can play a bit better. I tried to hit an old school BB the other day and couldnt hit one shot... It's all in the head I guess.
    If you could play 3+ over on 18 without a driver... then why do you want a stupid driver for low 80s... You idiot

If you could play 3+ over on 18 without a driver... then why do you want a stupid driver for low 80s... You idiot
    Because if he gets the driver working he'll shoot -3.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Because if he gets the driver working he'll shoot -3.
    Let's hope that's the case
    PTL

She definitely has some nice cans. I must be a biatch keeping those babies under wraps all the time. She ought to just flaunt em...what is she worried about...hurting her credibility...lol...

Actually, I think Bristol would have a nice rack too if she wasn't so plump everywhere else.
    She's still after the female vote. Bristol's got that Alaskan walrus fat layer going on so it would be kind of difficult to tell where the fat ends and the boobs begin.
    GR lives...

She's still after the female vote. Bristol's got that Alaskan walrus fat layer going on so it would be kind of difficult to tell where the fat ends and the boobs begin.
    Palin knows she isn't going to be getting any votes. At this point, its all about getting attention. I know I'd be less likely to change the channel if she was sporting a tight revealing shirt. Her window is probably closing fast though, show em while you got em.

Palin knows she isn't going to be getting any votes. At this point, its all about getting attention. I know I'd be less likely to change the channel if she was sporting a tight revealing shirt. Her window is probably closing fast though, show em while you got em.
    Ok, here you go. At her age, that's pretty amazing.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CeHYpVVkri...ah_palin_5.jpg

Sure, Palin isn't taken seriously, but she just might be perfectly positioned to reemerge as the fulcrum between the Repubs and Tea Party. Maybe not in two years but at some point. Remember, Hitler seized on prolonged economic devastation. Palin is more electable than Hitler.
    GR lives...

Ok, here you go. At her age, that's pretty amazing.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CeHYpVVkri...ah_palin_5.jpg

Sure, Palin isn't taken seriously, but she just might be perfectly positioned to reemerge as the fulcrum between the Repubs and Tea Party. Maybe not in two years but at some point. Remember, Hitler seized on prolonged economic devastation. Palin is more electable than Hitler.
    Maybe with the benfit of hindsight, but in 1930s Germany Hitler was a charismatic leader who had the public completely hoodwinked. Like him or hate him, Hitler was an incredible orator who would have crowds hanging on every word at his rallies. Sure he took advantage of a diabolical economic situation in Germany, but he was electable none the less. There are actually some parallels in Palin and Hitler's approach to politics.

that would be for courses over 6600 yards.. you idiot :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

that would be for courses over 6600 yards.. you idiot :-)
    I will only play courses less than 6600 yds and score +3 after 18 holes , what so bad about that?

I will only play courses less than 6600 yds and score +3 after 18 holes , what so bad about that?
    An undeniable fact of golf is that we have an irresistable urge to hit driver. Even if we suck with it and know we will be lucky to find the fairway, the lure of the big dog is too much to ignore. There is a feeling you get when you smoke a driver that you can't get from any other club, and as golf is a game ment to be enjoyed most people seek that feeling as often as possible during a round. It takes iron discipline to have the driver in the bag and not use it. I know that I could probably play my most consistent golf if I was more sparing in my use of the driver, but I just love hitting it.

She has 4 children, so I figure she has unwrapped them a few times at least . . . .

Haha yep why do I hit driver? Not for ego, but to try and get better at it. How am I supposed to play a 7100 yard course with nothing but irons?! Plus Being able to hit the driver well opens up doors for lower scores. Driving greens, par 5s in 2, and shorter shots to the pin. That is why I hit driver. Can't get better if ya don't practice.
    Golf

Haha yep why do I hit driver? Not for ego, but to try and get better at it. How am I supposed to play a 7100 yard course with nothing but irons?! Plus Being able to hit the driver well opens up doors for lower scores. Driving greens, par 5s in 2, and shorter shots to the pin. That is why I hit driver. Can't get better if ya don't practice.

Pay no mind to Pky6471, the old fella has trouble outdriving 12 year old girls. He has a bad case of shortknocker envy. He can't hit it out of his shadow at noon at the equator.

Poor fella's swing must look like an Ikea instruction DVD describing how to fold a lawn chair.

Hitting less club/using more loft on approaches, getting home in 2 on par 5's, driving the occasional par 4 green in one... you're on the right track. That's how birdies and eagles are made. Scoring opportunities are going to be more prevalent for the players who consume the majority of a hole's yardage with the first shot.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    Pay no mind to Pky6471, the old fella has trouble outdriving 12 year old girls. He has a bad case of shortknocker envy. He can't hit it out of his shadow at noon at the equator.

Poor fella's swing must look like an Ikea instruction DVD describing how to fold a lawn chair.

Hitting less club/using more loft on approaches, getting home in 2 on par 5's, driving the occasional par 4 green in one... you're on the right track. That's how birdies and eagles are made. Scoring opportunities are going to be more prevalent for the players who consume the majority of a hole's yardage with the first shot.

FON
    Agree with all of this. There's a short par 4 straight uphill at my home course that can be reached with a driver, or just short. I would confidently say that my total number of birdies on this one hole would be more than the birdies on the other 8 holes combined. And I definitely know I've made more eagles there than the rest of the course combined.

Agree with all of this. There's a short par 4 straight uphill at my home course that can be reached with a driver, or just short. I would confidently say that my total number of birdies on this one hole would be more than the birdies on the other 8 holes combined. And I definitely know I've made more eagles there than the rest of the course combined.

It's kind of the same thing at my home course, holes 2 and 3 are 345yds and 365yds respectively - but both are doglegs (one left and one right) and both greens can be reached by really good (320yd+) drives. I've eagled them a number of times, and made more birdies on those two holes than on the rest of the course combined.

Our 2 par 5's (par 70 course) are similar, both are doglegs and come in around the 500yd range, and a good drive on either usually leaves me no more than a 5 iron, and sometimes as little as a PW. Hitting your second shot on a par 5 with a PW is almost a guaranteed birdie, and eagle is a real possibility. Playing those two par 5's as 3-shotters is almost like willingly giving 2 strokes back to the course. It makes no sense.

Proficiency with the long clubs creates opportunity with the short clubs. This will always be true.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature

FON
    I am glad that I am able to agitate some suckers

Yep, I'll be there nov 22-28 and dec 20th-jan 3. We should get a winter golf series between Q and D.

12sandwich, yes my home course is still open. It's hell on earth trying to find the ball under all the leaves on the back 9. The front is more links style so not too many leaves out there hence I've only been playing the front...
    I,m playing a goatrack 10 minutes from the house called Hamlet golf course. No leaves, immaculate condition, greens are perfect. Its one of those courses that,s always in good shape. The last two days I,ve played there, it,s packed with out of towners, moaning about the leaves were they play.

[QUOTE=qtong]I just realized how big of a ho I am... Lets go through my golf equipment transitions this year:

Pretty weak Q This is from memory, due to the fact I,ve slept since these purchases. 3 sets of mizuno mx 23, 3-pw, 2 sets of mizuno mp 60, one set of mp 57, a set mp 32 3-pw, mp 37 3-pw, taylormade miura forged 300 rac cb 3-pw, ping eye 2+ 2-sw , ping eye 2 becu 4-sw, Magique becu 3-sw. thats just the irons. I have 5 complete bags, and I,m small potatoes compared to some these guys. And futhermore the drivers are a very extensive list, as well as the Cameron putter craze, I went through. and the fairway woods, I,m looking at 1 through lob wedge, becu, ping eye 2 set,s, numbers matching, lately, and bid a red dot set up pretty high, yesterday, they were mint.
    Last edited by 12sandwich; 11-12-2010 at 05:21 AM.

Howdy Chaps,

I have read most of this thread with interest. I must admit to struggling to follow who is saying what in order to get to the end of it. A couple of points if I may:

1) Whoever is receiving the Cameron Fastback today - this is the greatest piece of kit ever built. You will not regret this purchase. I had a Studio Design No. 5 a few years ago which I have always regretted selling until I found this worthy replacement. If you struggle with the fastback the studio des. 5 may be a budget alternbative worth trying.

2) I come from the West Of Scotland, and we have officially the worst diet in Europe, certainly we have the worst track record for heart and lung diseases - generally speaking this is because Central Government (in particular the Conservative party) **** on us. I should say this is not a Scottish thing, basically anywhere North of the Midlands (Birmingham) get a rough time from these fascists.

Anyway the reason I felt compelled to contribute at this juncture was to share a West Of Scotland delicacy with y'all. We speak of salt and refined sugars; saturated fats and lard being all that is nasty for the human machine. Then consider if you will, what damage this sun of a gun does to your plumbing. Gentlemen, I give you the deep fried Mars bar - see attachment. Served at all good Glaswegian (Glaswegians are the indigenous populous of Glasgow) fish and chip shops.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

LOL. That said, the concept completely sickens me.
    like putting toothpaste back in the tube, it is functionally impossible to deliberately get an image out of your head.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

I am glad that I am able to agitate some suckers
    Pkwy, you're the best.

Those that haven't been to Europe may assume I commit hyperbole when I reference British food. I offer you Exhibit 1.

The Brits would deep fry a terd and eat it if there was nothing in the cupboard.
    GR lives...

Hitting irons all day can give you deceiving confidence. You're going to find the fairway more often than not and you get into a groove that never carries over well once you start bringing woods back into play. It's just what I've personally noticed.

Dave - Sorry your head's never going to look good on Marisa Miller's body. And sorry that's making me sick thinking about it

seriously, we need our driver and 3-w to score well... I just like to agitate you guys before the weekend... Sorry guys/girls/AC-DC

Hitting irons all day can give you deceiving confidence. You're going to find the fairway more often than not and you get into a groove that never carries over well once you start bringing woods back into play. It's just what I've personally noticed.

Dave - Sorry your head's never going to look good on Marisa Miller's body. And sorry that's making me sick thinking about it
    All of you, stop it now.
    GR lives...

Thread Information