|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

View Poll Results: What irons should I play in the inaugural SH GR Match?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mizuno mp 32 4-PW

9 47.37%
  • Mizuno mp 33 4-PW or other GFF

3 15.79%
  • TourStage Z101 cb's 4-PW

1 5.26%
  • TourStage Z101 cb's 4-5 and Bridgestone X Blades 6-PW

1 5.26%
  • Ping eye 2's in either be-cu or stainless (Ping play your best)

3 15.79%
  • Other - please state your choice

2 10.53%

What irons should I play in the inaugural SH GR Match?

Oldplayer has kindly offered me a selection of superb clubs to choose from his vast collection of quality clubs for the inaugural SH GR Match. Choosing a driver, fairway wood, hybrids and wedges was a fairly easy task and Oldplayer is going to bring several different putters for me to try on the day. So the big decision is which irons to play. Here is the selection on offer:

IRONS.
    Mizuno mp 29, 32, 33 and 67. All blades with S300.
    mizzy mx300 if you want to go GI GFF.
    Cleveland classic blades, the 588's.
    Titleist 690mb or 695mb. S300's again.
    Taylormade original rac blades or the mb tp's (next model).Also some 2004 miura forged rac cb's. (with KBS tours).
    Nike original Endo forged blades.
    Hogan Apex 99-2002 blades.
    TourStage Z101 cb's in either S300 or R300. Also Tourstage Xblades.
    Magregor 1025m blades (one of my favorites) or miura forged pcb tours. Also some Macgregor Jack Nicklaus Muirfield 20th anniversary blades.
    Greg Norman (Maccobra) signiture blades.
    Cobra Pro mb. (great set of blades.)
    Bridgestone J33 blades (similar to tiity 690mb) also some ec603 pro spec blades.
    Maxfli Australian blades
    Maxfli A10 combo
    Powerbilt citation combo set.
    KZG ZO blades with project X 5.5.
    Wilson Staff fg17 blades.
    fg 51 (very sweet older blade)
    Ci7 GI.
    Maruman Conductor cavities.
    Ping eye 2's in either be-cu or stainless.

With such a huge range of quality clubs on offer it is obviously a tough choice. I wish I could play half a dozen games and try them all out. Anyway my initial thoughts narrowed my selection down to the following:

Mizuno mp 32 4-PW or
    Mizuno mp 33 4-PW or
    TourStage Z101 cb's 4-PW or
    TourStage Z101 cb's 4-5 and Bridgestone X Blades 6-PW (similar to my actual setup)

The opportunity to play a quality set of forgings like the Tourstage doesn't come along everyday so I thought these would be a great choice. However given that this is an officially sanctioned GR Match a nagging part of me thinks I should be playing the GFF. I play the MP-33's so logic would suggest I use these in the match but I would like to take this opportunity to try the MP-32's as I haven't hit them before.

Oldplayer and I have decided that a GR Poll is the only way to resolve this burning issue. Please use your vote wisely and if you choose 'other' state what your choice is.

Thanks for your time.

Kiwi
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

100% of the votes are for Ping Eye 2. Not surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    100% of the votes are for Ping Eye 2. Not surprising.

FD voted for the Ping Eye2's?

Holy cow that came out of left field!!!

Now where the f#ck am I?

All square again with the Eye 2's vs the MP32's. I already see this being a Ping vs Mizuno battle.

Stick to the GFF.

Actually, Kiwi, I think OP has a set of MP-67s. You should really give them a try as I think you will find them to be the best playable set Mizuno offers in their line.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

If you want to be a winner, play the Ping

If you want to shoot a 97 and become Old Players biatch, play Mizuno.

It is this simple

Carry on

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

I voted for the MP-33's. Its best to play what you are used to hitting. I would suggest the mp-29's, but the irons are progressively more offset as the lofts get higher (which is opposite of most clubs). Whenever I switch to a club with more offset, I takes me half the round to stop missing everything left.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Oldplayer has kindly offered me a selection of superb clubs to choose from his vast collection of quality clubs for the inaugural SH GR Match. Choosing a driver, fairway wood, hybrids and wedges was a fairly easy task and Oldplayer is going to bring several different putters for me to try on the day. So the big decision is which irons to play. Here is the selection on offer:

IRONS.
    Taylormade original rac blades or the mb tp's (next model).Also some 2004 miura forged rac cb's. (with KBS tours).
    Magregor 1025m blades (one of my favorites) or miura forged pcb tours. Also some Macgregor Jack Nicklaus Muirfield 20th anniversary blades.
    Bridgestone J33 blades (similar to tiity 690mb) also some ec603 pro spec blades.
    Maxfli Australian blades
    Maxfli A10 combo
    Ci7 GI.

With such a huge range of quality clubs on offer it is obviously a tough choice. I wish I could play half a dozen games and try them all out. Anyway my initial thoughts narrowed my selection down to the following:

Mizuno mp 32 4-PW or
    Mizuno mp 33 4-PW or
    TourStage Z101 cb's 4-5 and Bridgestone X Blades 6-PW (similar to my actual setup)

The opportunity to play a quality set of forgings like the Tourstage doesn't come along everyday so I thought these would be a great choice. However given that this is an officially sanctioned GR Match a nagging part of me thinks I should be playing the GFF. I play the MP-33's so logic would suggest I use these in the match but I would like to take this opportunity to try the MP-32's as I haven't hit them before.

Oldplayer and I have decided that a GR Poll is the only way to resolve this burning issue. Please use your vote wisely and if you choose 'other' state what your choice is.

Thanks for your time.

Kiwi
    I'd go with the tourstage if I was you. In order it would be

TourStage
    Cobra Pro MB (always wanted to try these but they don't come LH)
    Mizzy 32 or 33 (but you have these so? i'd try something different.)

IRONS.
    Maxfli Australian blades
    Maxfli A10 combo
    Ci7 GI.

Mizuno mp 32 4-PW or
    Mizuno mp 33 4-PW or

Thanks for your time.

Kiwi
    I was looking through my club room today and realised i had made some ommissions on the list.
    The biggest one was a set of Miura forged TM 300 player cavities. (Mine are one of the rarer Miura models and have a hand engraved serial #). These are a classic, highly regarded set and should be on the list of possibilities.
    Also a combo set (baldes and cavities), Wilson Fi5.
    Lastly if you want to really man up a set of 1984 Titleist Tour blades.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Stick to the GFF.

Actually, Kiwi, I think OP has a set of MP-67s. You should really give them a try as I think you will find them to be the best playable set Mizuno offers in their line.
    They are already on the list, although I would have to say the 32's are probably the more playable.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I was looking through my club room today and realised i had made some ommissions on the list.
    The biggest one was a set of Miura forged TM 300 player cavities. (Mine are one of the rarer Miura models and have a hand engraved serial #). These are a classic, highly regarded set and should be on the list of possibilities.
    Also a combo set (baldes and cavities), Wilson Fi5.
    Lastly if you want to really man up a set of 1984 Titleist Tour blades.
    OP, you are a legend in my book. It is rare that I run into anyone that likes buying and selling irons as much as I do. I feel like Booger in the scene of Revenge of the Nerds 2 when he meets his master.

OP - the fact you have a club room and its filled has just put you in legendary status in my book!
    Kiwi - I'd go the tourstage and bridgestone set up. You can't pass up the opportunity to hit a set of quality clubs like that. Ping paddles are a dime a dozen, not sure about NZ but tourstage are rare in OZ.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Alot of great choices, very cool OP. The Tourstage might be the ones I'd choose, I play the KZG ZO and anything named Zo has a leg up, the I also play the MP-32 so biased as to the last two. I also might pick the MacGregor, the A10-s or the Bridgestones.

The only ones I'd stay away from would be the Pings.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Alot of great choices, very cool OP. The Tourstage might be the ones I'd choose, I play the KZG ZO and anything named Zo has a leg up, the I also play the MP-32 so biased as to the last two. I also might pick the MacGregor, the A10-s or the Bridgestones.

The only ones I'd stay away from would be the Pings.
    Yeah, why would he want to play a set of clubs that would give him an advantage?

Yeah, why would he want to play a set of clubs that would give him an advantage?
    Because he likes feeling as though he has to vomit for 4 hours?
    GR lives...

Definitely play the Mizunos.

IRONS.
    Maxfli Australian blades
    Maxfli A10 combo
    Ci7 GI.

Mizuno mp 32 4-PW or
    Mizuno mp 33 4-PW or

Thanks for your time.

Kiwi
    Amazing collection with a coolness factor right up there in the ionisphere. Only ones better for me would be Keith Richard's guitars and amps and Reggie Jackson's collection of '60's Mopars and Chevs. PS. Give yourself the best chance and play the MX 300's.

Because he likes feeling as though he has to vomit for 4 hours?
    No vomiting when you're beating your opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    OP - the fact you have a club room and its filled has just put you in legendary status in my book!
    Kiwi - I'd go the tourstage and bridgestone set up. You can't pass up the opportunity to hit a set of quality clubs like that. Ping paddles are a dime a dozen, not sure about NZ but tourstage are rare in OZ.
    Just to clarify The tourstage combo with bridgestone blades are the bridgestone TourStage X blades and not the bridgestaone J33 blades which are also available.
    Here's a pic.

Just to clarify The tourstage combo with bridgestone blades are the bridgestone TourStage X blades and not the bridgestaone J33 blades which are also available.
    Here's a pic.

Sweet!!

OP, you are a legend in my book. It is rare that I run into anyone that likes buying and selling irons as much as I do. I feel like Booger in the scene of Revenge of the Nerds 2 when he meets his master.
    Thanks......I think.

Kiwi,

You simply cannot pass up the opportunity to play the Miuras. They are as good as forged gets, and as they are CBs would be easier to use than the blades on offer. I note that all the sets seem to be incomplete, there doesn't seem to beany 3 irons in there.

On another note, last night they had a show o TV about called Ask Tiger Tips (or somethig like that). It was obvously from a couple of years ago cause Tiger had Anthony Kim hittig shots as he was in rehab after the knee Op, and Tiger was way too friendly and positive for it to be post 5 iron to the front teeth. Anyway, Tiger was talking about clubs and he mentioned that he has dropped the 2 iron and was playing his first 'senior' club, the 5 wood. I was waiting for a disparaging remark about hybrids, but alas it didn't come.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Kiwi,

You simply cannot pass up the opportunity to play the Miuras. They are as good as forged gets, and as they are CBs would be easier to use than the blades on offer. I note that all the sets seem to be incomplete, there doesn't seem to beany 3 irons in there.

On another note, last night they had a show o TV about called Ask Tiger Tips (or somethig like that). It was obvously from a couple of years ago cause Tiger had Anthony Kim hittig shots as he was in rehab after the knee Op, and Tiger was way too friendly and positive for it to be post 5 iron to the front teeth. Anyway, Tiger was talking about clubs and he mentioned that he has dropped the 2 iron and was playing his first 'senior' club, the 5 wood. I was waiting for a disparaging remark about hybrids, but alas it didn't come.
    All the sets have 3 irons, and many have 2 irons including the tm300's you are talking about. It is just that Kiwi prefers to not play a 3 irons and use hybrids instead.

Another vote for the MP-32's.

Kiwi - whatever you do, don't play the TM rac MB TP's, because I doubt OP wishes to part with them. ;)

I don't wanna hear stories about you two having a scuffle.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Jackson Course at Rock Barn in Hickory, NC
    J33B's are sweet. My favorite iron.
    In accordance with new rules...I play a 2x4 and a lead pipe.
    Listing anything golf related is a B!TCHMOVE.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    Another vote for the MP-32's.

Kiwi - whatever you do, don't play the TM rac MB TP's, because I doubt OP wishes to part with them. ;)
    I don't wanna hear stories about you two having a scuffle.

FON
    Funny you should say that.
    I actually pulled them out and had a hit with them today. God, I forgot how sweet they were, and forgiving as hell for a blade. I think i might give them a run in the bag again.

Funny you should say that.
    I actually pulled them out and had a hit with them today. God, I forgot how sweet they were, and forgiving as hell for a blade. I think i might give them a run in the bag again.

You could always beat Kiwi with them.

Rac his world, OP!

They are a really nice blade though, aren't they... gorgeous at address, so solid out of the middle. Not so bad off the rest of the face either. They play about as forgiving as a player's CB but with the lower trajectory of a more traditional blade. I absolutely love mine, and I vow never to cheat on them with any other clubs. ;)

I must add though, that I am extremely impressed with your collection. You have more iron options than my wife has shoe options. If I were in Kiwi's position I wouldn't know where to start either! No wonder he made this a GR poll.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    You could always beat Kiwi with them.

Rac his world, OP!

They are a really nice blade though, aren't they... gorgeous at address, so solid out of the middle. Not so bad off the rest of the face either. They play about as forgiving as a player's CB but with the lower trajectory of a more traditional blade. I absolutely love mine, and I vow never to cheat on them with any other clubs. ;)

I must add though, that I am extremely impressed with your collection. You have more iron options than my wife has shoe options. If I were in Kiwi's position I wouldn't know where to start either! No wonder he made this a GR poll.

FON
    And a topline to die for. Jeez I love a thin topline.

Yeah it actually is very tough for Kiwi. I can play any set, anytime of course, and i find it hard to decide! So tough for him with only one game to play.
    Maybe he may take a golfing holiday to Victoria in the future so he can demo more options.

And a topline to die for. Jeez I love a thin topline.

Yeah it actually is very tough for Kiwi. I can play any set, anytime of course, and i find it hard to decide! So tough for him with only one game to play.
    Maybe he may take a golfing holiday to Victoria in the future so he can demo more options.

If you start feeling any pain in your shoulder, please tell me immediately.

I promise, I'll stop twisting your arm before any physical damage is done.

Can't have you getting injured before the "Thunder Down Under" match.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

OP - i think you need to freight a couple of sets over to Tas cause Kiwi is here first and it would be only fair for him to get a feel for them. I of course would look after them for you and return them in a year or two Please don't send the pings.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    OP - i think you need to freight a couple of sets over to Tas cause Kiwi is here first and it would be only fair for him to get a feel for them. I of course would look after them for you and return them in a year or two Please don't send the pings.
    LOL. You should come over with Kiwi and we could make it a three way match! Not sure how that would work but we'd think of something.

From what I hear there is some big rain coming your way OP, so I hope you don't need flippers and asnorkel to play.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

From what I hear there is some big rain coming your way OP, so I hope you don't need flippers and asnorkel to play.
    Yeah it's pretty wet right now. Nothing like Queensland though. They are doing it tough!
    Been pissing down in Newcastle too?

Yeah it's pretty wet right now. Nothing like Queensland though. They are doing it tough!
    Yeah the situation in QLD is shocking. I have friends there that I am keeping in touch with. They are on pretty high ground so their homes are safe but they can still get trapped as local roads are closed. They are finding it pretty scary.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I'm actually from western Sydney these days, haven't lived in Newy for over 20 years. Just grew up there and learnt how to play golf there. I was a member of Belmont for a couple of years, played there?

I'm actually from western Sydney these days, haven't lived in Newy for over 20 years. Just grew up there and learnt how to play golf there. I was a member of Belmont for a couple of years, played there?
    No I haven't. I haven't been to Sydney for years. Too many good courses in this part of the world. I wish I could play them all.

No I haven't. I haven't been to Sydney for years. Too many good courses in this part of the world. I wish I could play them all.
    Belmont is a Newcastle course. It's where they play the Lake Macquarie Amatuer, which is regarded as the leading 72 hole amatuer stroke event in the world, The winner's board has some big names on it.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Op will more then likely tell you the mx 300 is the easiest to hit, and among the best feeling of any of his collection. The long irons are unreal. You may want to mix a set, that includes the 3 or 4 to 7 or 8 in the mx 300. The
    Rac cb Miura forging I've owned, and was not impressed. The mp 60 would be a nice mix with the mx 300, or a similar cavity back. You may want to hit his Nickent driver as well, seriously long club. The Ping eye wedges are money.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

I wondered how you guys were doing with all the rain you are getting. That looks like some serious flooding going on down there. Stay safe.

I wondered how you guys were doing with all the rain you are getting. That looks like some serious flooding going on down there. Stay safe.
    Thanks or your concern Sooner. Yeah the floods are pretty serious in Queensland which is in the north east of the continent. Mass evacuations as the Brisbane river breaks its banks bigtime. The damage bill will be massive and lives have already been lost.
    I live in the south east in Victoria and it is certainly wet at the moment, but nothing like Queensland.

Well a few days to run yet but the vaunted Ping vs Mizuno battle never eventuated. Instead a resounding victory for GFF seems assured with almost 65% support whilst the Pings languish on a lowly 17.65%, almost 50% behind the GFF.

See Famousdavis this is a forum for truly discerning golf connoisseurs. I can't possibly play the Pings shovels now. GR Polls are binding you know.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Well a few days to run yet but the vaunted Ping vs Mizuno battle never eventuated. Instead a resounding victory for GFF seems assured with almost 65% support whilst the Pings languish on a lowly 17.65%, almost 50% behind the GFF.

See Famousdavis this is a forum for truly discerning golf connoisseurs. I can't possibly play the Pings shovels now. GR Polls are binding you know.
    Your poll was meaningless from the very beginning. You pitted "all GFF" vs. one brand of Ping iron in a rare material. If you wish to play blades that is up to you. It's amazing what the ego will hold onto in the face of failure.

Congratulations Kiwi on not getting stuck with some lesser, 17% irons.
    GR lives...

Congratulations Kiwi on not getting stuck with some lesser, 17% irons.
    If you round up its 18%. Well, I already broke my new years resolution not to buy any more clubs. With such good deals out there it's just too tempting. Maybe my goal should be to only have one set of clubs at any one time or at least the rest for sale on Ebay. Today I bought a Titleist 909 D2 8.5 Driver with the Diamana 65 Regular Shaft. It felt wonderful in the simulator and I got it for $125 in great cond. But, that wasn't enough, I then saw a set of Titleist 990 irons, 1-PW, DGS 300 with original grip in what I would describe as like new condition. Looks like maybe only half have ever been played and only one round at that. Got the driver and irons for $250 so I'm happy. I had one of my best ballstriking days ever back in 2003 with the 990 irons and I've always wanted to give them another try.

If you round up its 18%. Well, I already broke my new years resolution not to buy any more clubs. With such good deals out there it's just too tempting. Maybe my goal should be to only have one set of clubs at any one time or at least the rest for sale on Ebay. Today I bought a Titleist 909 D2 8.5 Driver with the Diamana 65 Regular Shaft. It felt wonderful in the simulator and I got it for $125 in great cond. But, that wasn't enough, I then saw a set of Titleist 990 irons, 1-PW, DGS 300 with original grip in what I would describe as like new condition. Looks like maybe only half have ever been played and only one round at that. Got the driver and irons for $250 so I'm happy. I had one of my best ballstriking days ever back in 2003 with the 990 irons and I've always wanted to give them another try.
    That's a great deal on the D2. Is the shaft a "made-for" or aftermarket?

On the 990-s, you've got to love Titleist's "high performance blade design that features a variable muscle back cavity". They must have been designed for the short/medium height/tall golfer who excels at everything/something/nothing.
    GR lives...

That's a great deal on the D2. Is the shaft a "made-for" or aftermarket?

On the 990-s, you've got to love Titleist's "high performance blade design that features a variable muscle back cavity". They must have been designed for the short/medium height/tall golfer who excels at everything/something/nothing.
    It's the "made for" or "designed for"...something like that. I realize that typically means that it's softer but that's fine with me. I love the way it felt.

On the 990's, they are the best playing and feeling iron I've actually played that is specifically designed for the better player. I like the feel better than forged but I'm not a forged guy anyway. I think NAH likes these as well.

It's the "made for" or "designed for"...something like that. I realize that typically means that it's softer but that's fine with me. I love the way it felt.

On the 990's, they are the best playing and feeling iron I've actually played that is specifically designed for the better player. I like the feel better than forged but I'm not a forged guy anyway. I think NAH likes these as well.
    Well, I wish you all the best with your honeymoon.
    GR lives...

I LOVE the 990. It is a super feeling, easy to hit players cavity. When I demoed them couldn't miss the sweet spot and the feeling was butter. The ones I demoed had the R300, but S300 still should be easy enough to hit. The 990 was far superior to the 990B IMO. You got a sensational deal on those clubs. Even in today's current buyers market, those irons would easily fetch double what you paid over here, and the driver would probably go for close to $200.

Speaking of breaking resolutions, I just picked a couple of new Orka FK2 wedges today. I got a spare 60 degree lob and a 52 gap. I paid $100 for the pair, but IMO they are the best wedge I've ever hit and are forged. OP, if you are curious I can give you the guys details. He said he still has a few 56 and 60 wedges, and a couple of 52s. IMO opinion they stand up to any wedge regardless of price (they retailed for 149 pound in the UK), but as they never took off they are going cheap.

I LOVE the 990. It is a super feeling, easy to hit players cavity. When I demoed them couldn't miss the sweet spot and the feeling was butter. The ones I demoed had the R300, but S300 still should be easy enough to hit. The 990 was far superior to the 990B IMO. You got a sensational deal on those clubs. Even in today's current buyers market, those irons would easily fetch double what you paid over here, and the driver would probably go for close to $200.

Speaking of breaking resolutions, I just picked a couple of new Orka FK2 wedges today. I got a spare 60 degree lob and a 52 gap. I paid $100 for the pair, but IMO they are the best wedge I've ever hit and are forged. OP, if you are curious I can give you the guys details. He said he still has a few 56 and 60 wedges, and a couple of 52s. IMO opinion they stand up to any wedge regardless of price (they retailed for 149 pound in the UK), but as they never took off they are going cheap.
    I would be curious to see them as I'm not familiar with the brand. Not really looking to buy new wedges right now though.

I would be curious to see them as I'm not familiar with the brand. Not really looking to buy new wedges right now though.
    This is them. They look a little GI in photos but look sweet in real life. The finish and detail is obvious, and it's forged 8620 which means quality. I really like the way the double bounce soul performs too, very easy to hit.

http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/Golf/g...forged-wedge2/

This is them. They look a little GI in photos but look sweet in real life. The finish and detail is obvious, and it's forged 8620 which means quality. I really like the way the double bounce soul performs too, very easy to hit.

http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/Golf/g...forged-wedge2/
    Why does anyone need a cavity back for a wedge? This is what I don't get about the popularity of Ping EYE 2 wedges. It has always been hard for me to hit these monstrosities. Give me a small, tight muscleback wedge anytime.

I've never heard of Orka golf. That must be a company that's popular down under but not here. Either that or I've just never seen them. A wedge I really like (looks only) is the Callaway Jaws Slate wedge. It comes with MD grooves in some of them. That's the shizzle.

Why does anyone need a cavity back for a wedge? This is what I don't get about the popularity of Ping EYE 2 wedges. It has always been hard for me to hit these monstrosities. Give me a small, tight muscleback wedge anytime.
    NAH's switch to SGI is complete. Next he'll get himself some Lovett Wedges.

Now where the f#ck am I?

You mean like that Cleveland Niblick you carry around? That makes a Ping Eye 2 look like a tiny instrument.

Here's a pic.

Sweet is right. I'm sure they don't come in LH'ed...

OK - I've changed my mind based on this photo. I would go with the tourstage CB's 3-6 and these sweet looking beauties in the 7-PW. Hell, I would have you bring the 6 in both and if I was swinging well, and depending on trajectory, play the set 3-5 in CB and 6-PW in the MB's.

Jackson Course at Rock Barn in Hickory, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    Sweet is right. I'm sure they don't come in LH'ed...

OK - I've changed my mind based on this photo. I would go with the tourstage CB's 3-6 and these sweet looking beauties in the 7-PW. Hell, I would have you bring the 6 in both and if I was swinging well, and depending on trajectory, play the set 3-5 in CB and 6-PW in the MB's.
    I love the Tourstage/Bridgestone blades. All of them are very solid, but those look sexy.
    In accordance with new rules...I play a 2x4 and a lead pipe.
    Listing anything golf related is a B!TCHMOVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Austin
    I love the Tourstage/Bridgestone blades. All of them are very solid, but those look sexy.
    glad you lke them Drew, I am obviously a big fan also. Here are some more pics of the 5 iron.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Last edited by oldplayer; 01-13-2011 at 06:46 PM.

I find that the guys who ask this question and make these statements are the exact ones who need cavity backs the most.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    I have mpr mpt mizuno wedges 52 56 60. I find the ping eye 2 wedges with the perimeter weighting, mininmize thin shots on tight lies, alas no need for a niblick. The grooves are so close together they impart alot of spin, and stop on a dime. Pick up a sand wedge in the early model ping eye 2 its like 57.5 degrees, you wont believe what you can accomplish with it. I,ve owned vokeys, all the mizuno wedges, clevelands with the nomad treatment, they dont compare.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich
    I have mpr mpt mizuno wedges 52 56 60. I find the ping eye 2 wedges with the perimeter weighting, mininmize thin shots on tight lies, alas no need for a niblick. The grooves are so close together they impart alot of spin, and stop on a dime. Pick up a sand wedge in the early model ping eye 2 its like 57.5 degrees, you wont believe what you can accomplish with it. I,ve owned vokeys, all the mizuno wedges, clevelands with the nomad treatment, they dont compare.
    Two areas where the Ping Eye 2 SW really shines. 1) Sand shots. I've never played a better SW out of the sand. It just opens up perfectly. 2) In the rough around the green. The wider sole just makes these shots so much easier. You can also lay it open quite easily for flop shots.

Oldplayer has kindly offered me a selection of superb clubs to choose from his vast collection of quality clubs for the inaugural SH GR Match.

Thanks for your time.

Kiwi
    Wow. I have played the "Southwest Regional Match Play" events in Texas and Oklahoma. Edgey has current possession of the "European" cup even though the UK shares nothing but an underwater rail line with Western Europe.

Now you are playing for the entire southern hemisphere? What a responsibility.

NO GIMMES.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    Wow. I have played the "Southwest Regional Match Play" events in Texas and Oklahoma. Edgey has current possession of the "European" cup even though the UK shares nothing but an underwater rail line with Western Europe.

NO GIMMES.
    Dave, I'll be in Vegas in May if you want a rematch. Might be a good place for it. Maybe you and your wife can go for a couple of days and then you and I can play golf.

Dave, I'll be in Vegas in May if you want a rematch. Might be a good place for it. Maybe you and your wife can go for a couple of days and then you and I can play golf.
    That sounds REALLY epic.. What a locale for the rubber match! I'm in.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Ok so it's official. The members of GR have spoken. MP-32's for the inaugural SH GR Match.

I was floating the idea of playing the MX-300 shovels earlier today but that was BS defeatist talk. If I am to take the fight to an opponent like OP I must march into battle with the confidence derived from the purity and surety of GFF blades. Nothing else will do. It would also be in breach of a binding poll.

So the bag will look like this:

Driver - Tour edge exotics (TEE) 10.5
    3 wood Mac 3 wood 15*
    Hybrids Sonartec 19 and 21
    Irons - Mizuno MP 32 4-PW
    Wedges - Vokeys 52 and 56
    Putter - blade/anser style to be decided from selection on the day.

Looking forward to the big day!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Ok so it's official. The members of GR have spoken. MP-32's for the inaugural SH GR Match.

I was floating the idea of playing the MX-300 shovels earlier today but that was BS defeatist talk. If I am to take the fight to an opponent like OP I must march into battle with the confidence derived from the purity and surety of GFF blades. Nothing else will do. It would also be in breach of a binding poll.

So the bag will look like this:

Driver - Tour edge exotics (TEE) 10.5
    3 wood Mac 3 wood 15*
    Hybrids Sonartec 19 and 21
    Irons - Mizuno MP 32 4-PW
    Wedges - Vokeys 52 and 56
    Putter - blade/anser style to be decided from selection on the day.

Looking forward to the big day!
    Solid looking bag there Kiwi, those Sonartecs should be quality. I don't play hybrids myself, but if I did Sonartecs would be at the top of the wish list.

You mean like that Cleveland Niblick you carry around? That makes a Ping Eye 2 look like a tiny instrument.
    Your intent was good, but it fell far short. Having played the Eye 2s myself, I can personally attest for the fact that as ugly as the Niblick is, it is still a loser in the ugly contest to the Eye 2s. Sorry, FD.

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    Wow. I have played the "Southwest Regional Match Play" events in Texas and Oklahoma. Edgey has current possession of the "European" cup* even though the UK shares nothing but an underwater rail line with Western Europe.

NO GIMMES.
    This was never video documented, so it has be mentioned with an asterisk beside it for now on, much like the home run hitters of MLB back in the 90s.

Relieved you came to your senses. You obviously realized what victory looks like in retreat, particularly around here. You can either John Daly or Kenny Perry this.

I wouldn't ask this if you hadn't faltered with the MX-300-s, but do you need help with your wardrobe?
    GR lives...

Two areas where the Ping Eye 2 SW really shines. 1) Sand shots. I've never played a better SW out of the sand. It just opens up perfectly. 2) In the rough around the green. The wider sole just makes these shots so much easier. You can also lay it open quite easily for flop shots.

So does this . . . . . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Different-Shovel.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	2587  

glad you lke them Drew, I am obviously a big fan also. Here are some more pics of the 5 iron.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    That is absolutely sexy, OP! You have to be careful showing pics like this in front of FD though, he's not mature enough to see them yet . . . .

There are only a few PGA Tour pros that still play blades. Most play a cavity back and several forego the 3 iron for a hybrid. Maturity is knowing your limitations and soaring with your strengths. Any intelligent person would recognize that the point of golf is to shoot the lowest score possible. They take an honest inventory of their ability and choose the appropriate clubs. For me I have recently found that a smaller head with less offset has helped my ballstriking. However, that doesn't mean that I should choose an even smaller head because I think it looks cool or because it's forged.

There are only a few PGA Tour pros that still play blades. Most play a cavity back and several forego the 3 iron for a hybrid. Maturity is knowing your limitations and soaring with your strengths. Any intelligent person would recognize that the point of golf is to shoot the lowest score possible. They take an honest inventory of their ability and choose the appropriate clubs. For me I have recently found that a smaller head with less offset has helped my ballstriking. However, that doesn't mean that I should choose an even smaller head because I think it looks cool or because it's forged.
    This was proven in that joke with the Genie where the guy asks for a little head.
    GR lives...

Relieved you came to your senses. You obviously realized what victory looks like in retreat, particularly around here. You can either John Daly or Kenny Perry this.

I wouldn't ask this if you hadn't faltered with the MX-300-s, but do you need help with your wardrobe?
    No worries, the saddle shoes, blue jeans, sweat shirt and wind breaker are packed.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Solid looking bag there Kiwi, those Sonartecs should be quality. I don't play hybrids myself, but if I did Sonartecs would be at the top of the wish list.
    Agree it is a great bag. That's the benefit of being a member of GR and being able to borrow clubs from a Legendary and generous Club Ho like OP. The course looks fantastic too. It's OP's home course.

http://www.13thbeach.net/guests/golf/course-beach.mhtml

Now where the f#ck am I?

Agree it is a great bag. That's the benefit of being a member of GR and being able to borrow clubs from a Legendary and generous Club Ho like OP. The course looks fantastic too. It's OP's home course.

Crikey that's a beautiful course. Great piece of land. I love having run-up options. My home course has maybe two holes where you can B&R the approach. Ever 3 putt any of those greens, OP? Kiwi, better practice you're lagging.
    GR lives...

I can hear the Colonel Bogey (hope the name is just a coincidence) March playing. I.E. The theme song from the Bridge over the River Kwai. Hold your head up and give em hell.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Wow. That course looks incredible. I had no idea. I'm envious of you guys.

Beautiful course. It reminds me a bit of my old course Belmont, except better and in much better condition. I think the rest of the world doesn't appreciate how many grea courses there are in Australia, and especially links courses. I'd reckon we have more great links courses here than any other country in the world outside the UK.

Crikey that's a beautiful course. Great piece of land. I love having run-up options. My home course has maybe two holes where you can B&R the approach. Ever 3 putt any of those greens, OP? Kiwi, better practice you're lagging.
    I try not to. I spend a fair bit of time working on lag putting. I didn't 3 putt today. Had a great start but finished with 4 bogeys in a row for 79. Ah well, another good round gone begging.

Wow. That course looks incredible. I had no idea. I'm envious of you guys.
    Yeah it is a fantastic track FD. Highly rated in Australia. I am very fortunate to be a member there and to play as much as I do. But wait it gets better. If you get sick of playing this layout we have another very highly rated 18 called the Creek course to play. Ahh.. it's a tough life but someone has to do it.

Every now and then on go on Craigslist to see what clubs are for sale. For the last month I have seen the same posting for a Ping Zing 4-iron. He started at $35 and now he's down to $8. I'm just wondering to myself who would want to buy a single Ping Zing 4-iron. Even more confusing is why anyone would go to the trouble to take photos, post and ad on craigslist and then have to arrange for several meetings with flakey buyers to sell an $8 club? That doesn't even cover a meal at CoCo's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	craigs zing.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	2590  

Thread Information