|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Round Report 2011

Will one of the moderators please sticky this? Don't make me do your job for you again or I'll sic Spank after you.

After a two week layoff with snow storms, I went out on Monday and shot a rusty 92. Yesterday I knocked 10 strokes off that score with an 82. I'm getting ready to head out again today to try and keep going lower. While the temps here in Oklahoma are going to be unseasonably high this week, the wind is going to be picking up as well into the 20-25 MPH range, so shooting lower might be problematic.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Anyone up for a round in Houston this coming weekend?
    GR lives...

Ok I know that Sooner started this thread because he, like rest of you, wants to hear more about my round where I debuted the Z101's and shot my 1st Ace. So I won't disappoint.

1st hole I hit the green but three putt for an opening bogie. 2nd hole I miss the green left with a 7 iron approach chip and two putt for another bogie. Then I go on a hot streak:

Par, Par, birdie, par, par, ace, par. I finish the front nine one under. All my buddies are congratulating me on the Ace, telling me how great I am playing etc. This goes to my head of course. Then the chokefest begins. In the back nine:

10 Double bogie (after a lousy tee shot and three putt),
    11 bogie,
    12 bogie
    13 Par (finally scrape par on a par 5)
    14 birdie (stripe a 9 iron to 4 feet)
    15 bogie
    16 bogie (another three putt after hitting the GIR with a five iron approach)
    17 par
    18 bogie (Par 5 - from about 90 yards out pull third shot long and left, chip to 4 feet but miss putt )

So there you have it. 1 under for the front 9 and six over in the back 9. Both three putts were virtual tap ins from 2-3 feet that lipped out. It's frustrating that rather than taking confidence from the hot streak I was having in the front nine the back nine instead became a total chokefest for me.

Still can't complain. Writing 1 on the card on the 8th felt pretty cool!
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Ok I know that Sooner started this thread because he, like rest of you, wants to hear more about my round where I debuted the Z101's and shot my 1st Ace. So I won't disappoint.

1st hole I hit the green but three putt for an opening bogie. 2nd hole I miss the green left with a 7 iron approach chip and two putt for another bogie. Then I go on a hot streak:

Par, Par, birdie, par, par, ace, par. I finish the front nine one under. All my buddies are congratulating me on the Ace, telling me how great I am playing etc. This goes to my head of course. Then the chokefest begins. In the back nine:

10 Double bogie (after a lousy tee shot and three putt),
    11 bogie,
    12 bogie
    13 Par (finally scrape par on a par 5)
    14 birdie (stripe a 9 iron to 4 feet)
    15 bogie
    16 bogie (another three putt after hitting the GIR with a five iron approach)
    17 par
    18 bogie (Par 5 - from about 90 yards out pull third shot long and left, chip to 4 feet but miss putt )

So there you have it. 1 under for the front 9 and six over in the back 9. Both three putts were virtual tap ins from 2-3 feet that lipped out. It's frustrating that rather than taking confidence from the hot streak I was having in the front nine the back nine instead became a total chokefest for me.

Still can't complain. Writing 1 on the card on the 8th felt pretty cool!
    GR standards would dictate that rather than boring us with long dull tales of how you shot your greatest ever score you just post something like this...

I played to 5 today with an ace because I play proper forged, mans irons and I am better than all of you losers on here.

Has that helped?

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    GR standards would dictate that rather than boring us with long dull tales of how you shot your greatest ever score you just post something like this...

I played to 5 today with an ace because I play proper forged, mans irons and I am better than all of you losers on here.

Has that helped?

Edgey
    But I'd already done that in another thread and everybody was just clamouring for more details.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Will one of the moderators please sticky this? Don't make me do your job for you again or I'll sic Spank after you.

After a two week layoff with snow storms, I went out on Monday and shot a rusty 92. Yesterday I knocked 10 strokes off that score with an 82. I'm getting ready to head out again today to try and keep going lower. While the temps here in Oklahoma are going to be unseasonably high this week, the wind is going to be picking up as well into the 20-25 MPH range, so shooting lower might be problematic.
    So you're saying on Monday you were in public arse waxing form?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Not a round report...but I am going to the range today. First time in 2011. 4 weeks after knee surgery. Just have my 7i and going to take it easy. Supposed to be 65 in the Queen City today.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    So you're saying on Monday you were in public arse waxing form?
    Yes. And I had a recurrence on Wednesday. I don't want to talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Anyone up for a round in Houston this coming weekend?
    more advance notice would have been good. :-(

can't change the plans, otherwise I would certainly zip down there and tee it up with ya.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    more advance notice would have been good. :-(

can't change the plans, otherwise I would certainly zip down there and tee it up with ya.
    Just decided to go. Oh well, sometime down the road.
    GR lives...

So, today, I shot an 88. I play with men who are in their 70s (these are the groups that play during the day whenever I like to play). Most of these guys are really good golfers who play rounds in the 70s and low 80s, but there are a couple of guys who can be real hackers. One guy was in my group today and he has trouble seeing the ball. He was constantly hitting the ball 100 yards shorter than the rest of us and then he would run behind us and say, "have you seen my ball?" I spent more time looking for his damn ball than I did concentrating on my own game.

I've learned how important it is to concentrate on your game of late. My best scores have come on days where my focus was really good. Whenever I have someone in my group that distracts me, I don't play worth a shite.

So, today, I shot an 88. I play with men who are in their 70s (these are the groups that play during the day whenever I like to play). Most of these guys are really good golfers who play rounds in the 70s and low 80s, but there are a couple of guys who can be real hackers. One guy was in my group today and he has trouble seeing the ball. He was constantly hitting the ball 100 yards shorter than the rest of us and then he would run behind us and say, "have you seen my ball?" I spent more time looking for his damn ball than I did concentrating on my own game.

I've learned how important it is to concentrate on your game of late. My best scores have come on days where my focus was really good. Whenever I have someone in my group that distracts me, I don't play worth a shite.
    You should have slunk off to the range after 6 holes and then joined a different group.

Now where the f#ck am I?

You should have slunk off to the range after 6 holes and then joined a different group.
    Nicely done.

I've gotta admit that I am also susceptible to the behaviour of my playing partners. If I have a chopper whoi constantly asks people were his ball went it grates on me over the course of a round. Other things hackers do that annoy me is walk across my line onthe green, talk as I'm standing over a putt, walk up and putt when they are not away, rattle their bag off the green (usually directly in your line of sight) when you are lining up a chip, and tell you what a great shot you've hit whe you thin one out about half distance. The trick to good golf is to switch off between shots and switch back on when it's your shot, which I am getting better at doing, but it's hard to keep your concentration when something disracts you, like a bloke in my group today starting his cart and driving about 2 metres to his duffed shot as I'm standing over a chip.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I've gotta admit that I am also susceptible to the behaviour of my playing partners. If I have a chopper whoi constantly asks people were his ball went it grates on me over the course of a round. Other things hackers do that annoy me is walk across my line onthe green, talk as I'm standing over a putt, walk up and putt when they are not away, rattle their bag off the green (usually directly in your line of sight) when you are lining up a chip, and tell you what a great shot you've hit whe you thin one out about half distance. The trick to good golf is to switch off between shots and switch back on when it's your shot, which I am getting better at doing, but it's hard to keep your concentration when something disracts you, like a bloke in my group today starting his cart and driving about 2 metres to his duffed shot as I'm standing over a chip.
    You playing in the regular Wednesday comp now NAH?
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    You playing in the regular Wednesday comp now NAH?
    I wish. I work for the public service so can swing 2 flex days a month so I like to use them on the golf course.

I wish. I work for the public service so can swing 2 flex days a month so I like to use them on the golf course.
    Well done.
    I'm a subcontractor so I can work my chosen hours. I never miss a Wednesday comp.
    Stops me getting rusty and is highly recommended.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I shot an 89 on Sunday, for my second sub 90 round. Hopefully the 80s will be a somewhat regular thing for me in '11.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    I shot an 89 on Sunday, for my second sub 90 round. Hopefully the 80s will be a somewhat regular thing for me in '11.
    That's great and all, but how many groups did you have to walk out on before you started playing well, and how far had they traveled to play with you?

Congrats nonetheless. Maybe it's time to see Pingman and go pro.
    GR lives...

That's great and all, but how many groups did you have to walk out on before you started playing well, and how far had they traveled to play with you?

Congrats nonetheless. Maybe it's time to see Pingman and go pro.
    I've already signed a sports psychologist and a short game coach, a putting coach. I'm still interviewing full swing coaches, so PM has an outside shot at boarding the Homeslice train to fame and riches.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    I've already signed a sports psychologist and a short game coach, a putting coach. I'm still interviewing full swing coaches, so PM has an outside shot at boarding the Homeslice train to fame and riches.
    Don't forget to have the phone numbers of at least 5 courtiers from the Los Angeles area on your phone as well. I don't know how this helps your golf game, but it worked for Tiger until Elin laid a 9 iron up against his head.

Well done.
    I'm a subcontractor so I can work my chosen hours. I never miss a Wednesday comp.
    Stops me getting rusty and is highly recommended.
    When I was posted out bush I had a deal to get a half flex every week, and worked Wednesday mornings, then had a 12 o'clock tee time. Wednesday comps in small country towns are almost like chamber of commerce meetings. Every mover and shaker in town is there playing. Our course even had a couple of local Jockeys playing, who were very sought after as playing partners to get tips for the weekend races.

Yesterday was a very blustery day here in Oklahoma with winds blowing out of the SW at 15-25 mph. It was also very cloudy and cool. You ever have one of those days you could call great and horrible both? Yesterday was that for me. I had 3 birdies, but also had 5 double bogeys to end up shooting an 83. Most of my problems stemmed from poor chip and pitch shots. I put up my Niblick 2 weeks ago because I had been chipping and pitching with the wedges pretty good and consistently. Yesterday was a bad though. I either seemed to hit it fat and leave it short, or thin and send it speeding across the green for another chip on the opposite side.

A couple of the birdies were really exciting though. One came on a par 3 that is all water from tee box to green. It was 160 to the pin from the blue tees with a cross wind. I was going to hit a 7 iron (MP-33), but decided at the last minute to hit a 6 iron to make sure I got across. I pured it. The damn thing nearly flew the green, but just hit the backstop behind the green and fell back down 30 feet from the hole. I read the line, hit the putt, and drained it! The last birdie came on the 18th hole -- the press hole as we were playing another team. I hit my second shot on a 450 yard par 4 just short of the green. I decided to putt from off the green to the hole that was 15 feet away. Draino! We win the back nine and the press and I won two cats to put me in money on the day.

The damn double bogeys are keeping me from consistently scoring in the 70 right now. If I can eliminate the brain farts in my game, I can get on a whole new level of golf play.

I don't usually brag about my good rounds but i made a milestone today and felt the need to blow my own trumpet. Played on the Beach course in good conditions this morning and with a steady start played the front nine 1 over. One bad shot, hooked a 5 wood on the long 8th hole and lost the ball and made double.7 pars, 1 birdie one double. The putter got hot on the second 9 and I made two more birds a bogey and the rest pars. so I parred the course and bought my cap down to 3.4. So now playing off 3 for the first time in my life. The bubble will burst but right now i am a happy old hacker.

I don't usually brag about my good rounds but i made a milestone today and felt the need to blow my own trumpet. Played on the Beach course in good conditions this morning and with a steady start played the front nine 1 over. One bad shot, hooked a 5 wood on the long 8th hole and lost the ball and made double.7 pars, 1 birdie one double. The putter got hot on the second 9 and I made two more birds a bogey and the rest pars. so I parred the course and bought my cap down to 3.4. So now playing off 3 for the first time in my life. The bubble will burst but right now i am a happy old hacker.
    Congrats, must feel awesome (braggert). Hope you're taking alot of money off your mates. Are you practicing much or just before rounds? How many rounds a week?

I played today and hit NO greens on the back (3 or 4 on the fringe and greens rock hard right now). Need that new driver.
    GR lives...

Congratulations, OP . . . . .

I'm bringing my handicap down a bit just because my scoring is so consistent. This last week's scores (many days with wind blowing consistently in 20-30 mph range) were 86, 85, 84 and two 83s. I'm still hunting for the days whenever my scores will be consistently in the 70s.

Congrats, must feel awesome (braggert). Hope you're taking alot of money off your mates. Are you practicing much or just before rounds? How many rounds a week?

I played today and hit NO greens on the back (3 or 4 on the fringe and greens rock hard right now). Need that new driver.
    Thanks Loz and Sooner. Golf is a great leveler and there is nothing surer than the form will drop off and the scores will blow out but i am enjoying the bragging rites against the mates. (more important than taking money). I have taken a bit cash but i will no doubt return it when I lose form and can't compete on a 3 or 4 cap.
    Loerenzo i am playing 3 times a week and going to the range to tidy things up when I am not happy with my iron shots.
    My new irons aren't hurting either. i have dropped two shots since bagging them.

Good round OP. You are really entering the realm of top flight golf off a 3 cap. You should take advantage while you are running hot and enter some top flight amatuer tourneys. Not sure how things work down there, but in NSW we have Vardon events which are open stroke events at top courses. With a 3 you could get into all but the very top Vardon events (the top one or two events usually get down to 1 or 2 cap to get entry), and pay on some of the best courses in Sydney. They trick the courses up too so it's almost like tour conditions. I've played in a few of the middle of the road course Vardons when I was off 7 and loved it. For me there is no better feeling than playing in a Vardon. I'm sort of stuck at the moment though. I have joined an easy course whihc has a rating of 5 under, so for me to get to the sort of cap tom get entry into Vardons I would have to shoot close to par every week. Last Saturday I had a real bad ball striking day and didn't putt or chip great but still shot 8 over, so if I ever get time to practice I might threaten par around the home course. I'm still getting used to how to play the course as there are a lotof risk/reward holes and I haven't figured out the best way to play them all yet. But on a good day I canseriously threaten par arund there, the trick for me is to get into a habit of threatening par every week so my bad rounds get diown to 2 or 3 over instead of the 8 or 9 over at the moment.

Well done OP. You keep saying the bubble is going to burst but instead you keep playing great golf and coming down even further. Getting down to 3 is fantastic. Great stuff!

Apologies for my delay in congratulating you. I just wanted to confirm that we are on for the big rematch on 8th May!

The wedding invitation hadn't turned up and I was starting to have my doubts that we would be coming at all but the invite arrived this week and SWMBO has booked the flights today. So we are definitely on for the rematch on 8th May, assuming you don't want to back out that is!

You just keep shooting par and coming down to about 1-2 I will continue feathering my handicap and going out to about 15-16. 13 shots sounds good to me!

Just kidding. Currently off 12 so we'll see where we both are come 8th May. Looking forward to playing you again on such a magnificent layout.

Cheers
    Kiwi

Now where the f#ck am I?

Well done OP. You keep saying the bubble is going to burst but instead you keep playing great golf and coming down even further. Getting down to 3 is fantastic. Great stuff!

Apologies for my delay in congratulating you. I just wanted to confirm that we are on for the big rematch on 8th May!

The wedding invitation hadn't turned up and I was starting to have my doubts that we would be coming at all but the invite arrived this week and SWMBO has booked the flights today. So we are definitely on for the rematch on 8th May, assuming you don't want to back out that is!

You just keep shooting par and coming down to about 1-2 I will continue feathering my handicap and going out to about 15-16. 13 shots sounds good to me!

Just kidding. Currently off 12 so we'll see where we both are come 8th May. Looking forward to playing you again on such a magnificent layout.

Cheers
    Kiwi
    Thanks Kiwi. I have played twice since and although not too bad have been 3 or 4 shots off playing to 3. If that continues I will definately be going out again. Perhaps i can get it to 8 by May 8th.
    Yes we are definately on for that day. It's a Sunday so there will be no impediments to having a game. Look forward to our rematch.
    Isn't there a GR mandated policy that 5 a side is the maximum allowable amount of strokes that can be given?

Thanks Kiwi. I have played twice since and although not too bad have been 3 or 4 shots off playing to 3. If that continues I will definately be going out again. Perhaps i can get it to 8 by May 8th.
    Yes we are definately on for that day. It's a Sunday so there will be no impediments to having a game. Look forward to our rematch.
    Isn't there a GR mandated policy that 5 a side is the maximum allowable amount of strokes that can be given?
    Hell no. I'm a 30 and when we finally get to play, we're playing for big money and I'm taking all 27 strokes.
    GR lives...

I think that is fair.

Hopefully we won't need to invoke that rule. If I can stay around 11-12 and you are around 4-6 you may only need to give me three a side?

Either way the GR SH Championship is crossing the Tasman and taking up residence in NZ and once there will reside there as long as the Bledisloe Cup has.

But don't worry. You NAH & Rooby can still compete for the GR Australian Interstate Championship.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I think that is fair.

Hopefully we won't need to invoke that rule. If I can stay around 11-12 and you are around 4-6 you may only need to give me three a side?

Either way the GR SH Championship is crossing the Tasman and taking up residence in NZ and once there will reside there as long as the Bledisloe Cup has.

But don't worry. You NAH & Rooby can still compete for the GR Australian Interstate Championship.
    Bit of trash talking eh. I like it.
    Just make sure you can walk the talk big fella.

Hell no. I'm a 30 and when we finally get to play, we're playing for big money and I'm taking all 27 strokes.
    I sincerely hope that one day we will have a match. But if we do it's gotta be mano el mano!
    That's right. The only possible way for you and me to face off is off the stick!!

I sincerely hope that one day we will have a match. But if we do it's gotta be mano el mano!
    That's right. The only possible way for you and me to face off is off the stick!!
    It would mean I'd have to get a good night's sleep the night before.
    GR lives...

It would mean I'd have to get a good night's sleep the night before.
    In that case, no hanky panky with the future misses Lorenzo.

I had a 78 today, first 70 score in about two or three months. I didn't have a single birdie today, but I managed to eliminate all double bogies from my game. So, I just played pretty consistent. I had a really good day pitching and chipping.

I've been hitting the MP-52s for last week.
    Last edited by SoonerBS; 03-19-2011 at 03:19 PM.

I had a 78 today, first 70 score in about two or three months. I didn't have a single birdie today, but I managed to eliminate all double bogies from my game. So, I just played pretty consistent. I had a really good day pitching and chipping.
    Good job for a 78 round... Now you prove to yourself that those double bogies will kill us... I have not played any round this yr yet, but 2 rounds coming up March 26/27... A colleague from Taiwan will be here for business meetings

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Good job for a 78 round... Now you prove to yourself that those double bogies will kill us... I have not played any round this yr yet, but 2 rounds coming up March 26/27... A colleague from Taiwan will be here for business meetings
    Hasn't the weather been decent enough for you? We have been in the high 70s and low 80s here in Oklahoma the last week. We have had some really windy days, but otherwise we have been out every day golfing.

Hasn't the weather been decent enough for you? We have been in the high 70s and low 80s here in Oklahoma the last week. We have had some really windy days, but otherwise we have been out every day golfing.
    Every day golfing...Shittttt, Lorenzo can't do that with an Asian wife
    It's 55+/- here and windy, next week some day it would drop to 45+ .... shìitttt, At least we think the snow is over... I will go to the range tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Every day golfing...Shittttt, Lorenzo can't do that with an Asian wife
    It's 55+/- here and windy, next week some day it would drop to 45+ .... shìitttt, At least we think the snow is over... I will go to the range tomorrow
    But remember he's from Oklahoma, so he has to squeeze that golfing in between having intercourse with his first cousins, and shopping at Walmart (yeah we get those emails here in Oz Sooner).

But remember he's from Oklahoma, so he has to squeeze that golfing in between having intercourse with his first cousins, and shopping at Walmart (yeah we get those emails here in Oz Sooner).
    Nothing wrong with a little cousin lovin'.

Nothing wrong with a little cousin lovin'.
    And it started with a little kiss, like this.

I actually played golf yesterday. 1 shanked pitch, 2 birdies, a-load of pars. It was a typical round for me: not a lot of fairways hit, but a lot of greens. The course was in pretty bad shape due to all the rain, but I was excited to actually play a round. I hit it pretty well considering I haven't been able to do anything since AZ 4 weeks ago.
    I've got 3 consecutive weekends onsite in Kentucky, so no more golf for me until mid April.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I actually played golf yesterday. 1 shanked pitch, 2 birdies, a-load of pars. It was a typical round for me: not a lot of fairways hit, but a lot of greens. The course was in pretty bad shape due to all the rain, but I was excited to actually play a round. I hit it pretty well considering I haven't been able to do anything since AZ 4 weeks ago.
    I've got 3 consecutive weekends onsite in Kentucky, so no more golf for me until mid April.
    Score...??

Score...??
    +5, 75. One of our par 5's has been converted into a par 3 until restoration is complete. Our superintendent would rather zero golf be played, since it's harsh on the grass. He's been babying this restoration process for about 8 months.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

+5, 75. One of our par 5's has been converted into a par 3 until restoration is complete. Our superintendent would rather zero golf be played, since it's harsh on the grass. He's been babying this restoration process for about 8 months.
    Hard to get grass to grow if you don't have the weather for it.
    Pretty good score as you obviously don't get out much.

Nah, it's not the weather. My club has this "master plan" to gradually revert the course back to its original Donald Ross characteristics. We paid some specialist a bunch of cash to examine the original blueprints and aerial photos.
    This par 5 was basically shut down since the end of July last year. Last year, we cut down a bunch of trees, moved a couple bunkers, and changed the shape of a fairway. It's good that my club is undertaking this process, but I wish we had the cash to do it all at the same time. Dragging this out for years just means that something is always going to be under construction.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Nah, it's not the weather. My club has this "master plan" to gradually revert the course back to its original Donald Ross characteristics. We paid some specialist a bunch of cash to examine the original blueprints and aerial photos.
    This par 5 was basically shut down since the end of July last year. Last year, we cut down a bunch of trees, moved a couple bunkers, and changed the shape of a fairway. It's good that my club is undertaking this process, but I wish we had the cash to do it all at the same time. Dragging this out for years just means that something is always going to be under construction.
    Sounds like a decent course though.

I thought the same thing. I usually stink a lot worse than I do now whenever I haven't played in a while. Good score, HB.

A lot of NZ Clubs did this a few years ago and members ended up leaving in droves as they became sick and tired of constantly playing temporary greens/holes over several years. Sometimes it's worth it in the long run but you want to make sure the disruption doesn't drag on over several years. After losing so many members many clubs struggled to complete the planned changes as they simply ran out of cash with the drop in memberships.

Nice round BTW!

Now where the f#ck am I?

A lot of NZ Clubs did this a few years ago and members ended up leaving in droves as they became sick and tired of constantly playing temporary greens/holes over several years. Sometimes it's worth it in the long run but you want to make sure the disruption doesn't drag on over several years. After losing so many members many clubs struggled to complete the planned changes as they simply ran out of cash with the drop in memberships.

Nice round BTW!
    I've seen the same thing happen with ill conceived course renovations. Continuous disruptions will only be tolerated for so long by members who are still expected to pay full membership. Some courses I have been a member at have a spare hole which can be used duirng renovations, but shitt like temporary greens and par 5s turned in to par 3s is asking for a mass exodus of members.

I had my low round of the year today, a 73 on a par 72. Granted, I played from the white tees at 6,200 yards with some guys from work but it was still my best round. I hand't played in 3 weeks and I think it helped. I simply tried to focus on hitting the best shot for the situation and tried to keep my trajectory down. It was a tad windy and on some holes I'd just hit an 8 iron from 120 to keep it down with a very smooth swing. I had a ton of birdie putts from inside 10 feet but only made 3. Looking forward to the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I had my low round of the year today, a 73 on a par 72. Granted, I played from the white tees at 6,200 yards with some guys from work but it was still my best round. I hand't played in 3 weeks and I think it helped. I simply tried to focus on hitting the best shot for the situation and tried to keep my trajectory down. It was a tad windy and on some holes I'd just hit an 8 iron from 120 to keep it down with a very smooth swing. I had a ton of birdie putts from inside 10 feet but only made 3. Looking forward to the next round.
    Congrats, good round FD. What irons were you using?

And the next GR match i would think.

Nice round... :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Congrats, good round FD. What irons were you using?
    Yeah FD. Great round but what irons were you using?

All of GR awaits with bated breath!

Now where the f#ck am I?

They weren't the eye 2's I bet so he dosen't want to say. For him to shoot 73 with something other than ping is a heresy. Perhaps he hasn't thought this one through.

They weren't the eye 2's I bet so he dosen't want to say. For him to shoot 73 with something other than ping is a heresy. Perhaps he hasn't thought this one through.
    He will urp this one up eventually. :-) Can't hide the facts from a 73... too good to dissimilate on.

I've been hitting lots of balls but I have to get out on the course before I get soft-headed and let him beat me 10-9 in Vegas. Jebus. 73. I got work to do.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

I was using the Ping s59 irons, Ping MB 52 wedge and Ping Eye 2 SW.

He will urp this one up eventually. :-) Can't hide the facts from a 73... too good to dissimilate on.

I've been hitting lots of balls but I have to get out on the course before I get soft-headed and let him beat me 10-9 in Vegas. Jebus. 73. I got work to do.
    I posted this last evening and just checked back in. The S59s are great clubs and I think I'm more accurate with them in the shorter irons for sure. The Ping Eye 2 long irons are better in the 3 and 4 iron but I don't use those that much. The S59 irons have the Cushin insert so they don't feel quite as crisp as the Ping Eye 2s. For GR lore purposes, I'll probably bag the Ping Eye 2s for my match with Dave.

My decision to avoid the range for beating balls purposes has worked. I play much better if I don't touch the range between rounds. I hit about 8 balls on the range prior to yesterday's round and it helps because I just try to get loose. If I try to work on something at the range it always backfires.

I posted this last evening and just checked back in. The S59s are great clubs and I think I'm more accurate with them in the shorter irons for sure. The Ping Eye 2 long irons are better in the 3 and 4 iron but I don't use those that much. The S59 irons have the Cushin insert so they don't feel quite as crisp as the Ping Eye 2s. For GR lore purposes, I'll probably bag the Ping Eye 2s for my match with Dave.

My decision to avoid the range for beating balls purposes has worked. I play much better if I don't touch the range between rounds. I hit about 8 balls on the range prior to yesterday's round and it helps because I just try to get loose. If I try to work on something at the range it always backfires.
    Great round FD. I hope you can follow it up with another good round. Hard not to have expectations...

The S59's are nice clubs and probably the only Ping's I could bag. I considered buying them but held out for the new Titty irons.

Good shootin', FD, particularly with the radiation cloud that's over us.
    GR lives...

Good shootin', FD, particularly with the radiation cloud that's over us.
    It's nothing compared to the radiating joy that came from shooting a 73 with Ping S59 irons. Oh, and I also used the Ping i15 driver for the second round. I hit some really good ones but it wasn't like the first day out with it. Similar to your experience with the Razr driver. The honeymoon driver effect is a strange thing. It's like all of your drives the first day out are 10 to 15 yards longer and then it goes right back to normal during the second round. What's up with that?

Were you using a Ping putter?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Were you using a Ping putter?
    The greens were little fuzzy and bumpy due to the large amount of rain we've received over the last week. I used my Ping Ally 2 putter. I'm thinking of getting a different putter but I've been doing that for 5 years now.

Is it wrong that I allowed myself to be forced into renting the movie Burlesque this weekend and found myself not just enjoying it but really enjoying it?

I like sappy musicals? What's happening to me?
    GR lives...

Is it wrong that I allowed myself to be forced into renting the movie Burlesque this weekend and found myself not just enjoying it but really enjoying it?

I like sappy musicals? What's happening to me?
    In a word, YES.
    Strange things can happen to a man when he is in the grip of impending matrimony.

In a word, YES.
    Strange things can happen to a man when he is in the grip of impending matrimony.
    I'm beginning to worry. Like the insane person gaining epiphany that he not the world is out of step. But it was a pretty good movie.
    GR lives...

I'm beginning to worry. Like the insane person gaining epiphany that he not the world is out of step. But it was a pretty good movie.
    I saw The Lincoln Lawyer with Matthew McConahay (not sure about that spelling) and it was actually a pretty decent movie. I'm a big Michael Connelly fan so I had to go see the movie. I also like Marisa Tomei. She fly.

I saw The Lincoln Lawyer with Matthew McConahay (not sure about that spelling) and it was actually a pretty decent movie. I'm a big Michael Connelly fan so I had to go see the movie. I also like Marisa Tomei. She fly.
    Worth seeing in the theaters or ok to wait for video?
    GR lives...

Worth seeing in the theaters or ok to wait for video?
    I think so but in all honestly I'm starting to like watching movies at home over going to the theatre. I think action and sci fi movies are great in the theatre but with a drama there's really no point.

I think so but in all honestly I'm starting to like watching movies at home over going to the theatre. I think action and sci fi movies are great in the theatre but with a drama there's really no point.
    A decent set-up at home for sure beats the theatres in terms of your chances of getting lucky during the movie.
    GR lives...

Name the two best movie roles that Matthew McConahay played in (and probably the only two he should have made). If you guess the two, I will send you a sleeve of Titleist Pro V1x balls. Guess away, freaks.

Was one of them where he played that surfer? Did you know that he was the original actor picked to play the lead role in Titanic?

The greens were little fuzzy and bumpy due to the large amount of rain we've received over the last week. I used my Ping Ally 2 putter. I'm thinking of getting a different putter but I've been doing that for 5 years now.
    Get yourself the Scottsdale pick me up, they are awesome putters and not overly expensive. On the topic of putters, I got to the first green the other day only to realise I left my putter at home. It was a non comptetition round so I borrowed a couple of my playing partners putters, and it made me realise how important and individual the putter is to your game. I was absolutely clueless. My putter is customised for me, a very light feeling, centre shaft, face balanced mallet cut down to 32 inches, and anything else feels unnatural.

On your irons, go with a progressive mixed set. 3 and 4 iron Eye2s, then S59s the rest. One of my most productive sets was a mixed set of Precept irons. I had the forged shovels in the 3 and 4 irons, and the Tour Premium forged player cavities the rest. I'm not sure I would be comfortable mixing brands, but mixing models of the same brand is perfectly acceptable.

Was one of them where he played that surfer? Did you know that he was the original actor picked to play the lead role in Titanic?
    Names of movies will be sufficient.

Name the two best movie roles that Matthew McConahay played in (and probably the only two he should have made). If you guess the two, I will send you a sleeve of Titleist Pro V1x balls. Guess away, freaks.
    Clearly one of them is We Are Marshall. Clearly one of them isn't Contact in which Jodie Foster set a record for overacting.
    GR lives...

Get yourself the Scottsdale pick me up, they are awesome putters and not overly expensive. On the topic of putters, I got to the first green the other day only to realise I left my putter at home. It was a non comptetition round so I borrowed a couple of my playing partners putters, and it made me realise how important and individual the putter is to your game. I was absolutely clueless. My putter is customised for me, a very light feeling, centre shaft, face balanced mallet cut down to 32 inches, and anything else feels unnatural.

On your irons, go with a progressive mixed set. 3 and 4 iron Eye2s, then S59s the rest. One of my most productive sets was a mixed set of Precept irons. I had the forged shovels in the 3 and 4 irons, and the Tour Premium forged player cavities the rest. I'm not sure I would be comfortable mixing brands, but mixing models of the same brand is perfectly acceptable.
    I like the Pic Me Up but I hate that face insert. I'm waiting to bid on an Odyssey Black Tour Series (i) #7. They are $269 new but I've seen them go on Ebay for $139 new. It's what Luke Donald uses. Thanks for the advice on irons but I don't recall asking for your optinion Sparky.

Clearly one of them is We Are Marshall. Clearly one of them isn't Contact in which Jodie Foster set a record for overacting.
    Wrong on both accounts. You fail.

Oh, I just reread your post, you are correct, Contact is not one of the movies.

(By the way, Contact was one of the most disappointing movies I have ever seen in my life. Jodie Foster should have been horse-whipped for making that movie.)

We are Marshall was a surprisingly good movie. My guesses to this stupid game are the following two movies:

1. A time to Kill
    2. The Voyeur #12

Wrong on both accounts. You fail.
    You've proven unqualified to conduct the test. You thought he was good in Contact? Wait he played a bible thumper in that. I get it, never mind.
    GR lives...

I like the Pic Me Up but I hate that face insert. I'm waiting to bid on an Odyssey Black Tour Series (i) #7. They are $269 new but I've seen them go on Ebay for $139 new. It's what Luke Donald uses. Thanks for the advice on irons but I don't recall asking for your optinion Sparky.
    I sometimes feel the urge to provide unsolicited advice to sod laying choppers who get smoked in GR matches by homeless bums. I'm just a big hearted guy I guess.

We are Marshall was a surprisingly good movie. My guesses to this stupid game are the following two movies:

1. A time to Kill
    2. The Voyeur #12
    Wrong. You fail.

You guys are obviously thinking about this like a chick would. There is no way that Lorenzo, being Italian, will ever get the answers correct.

You guys are obviously thinking about this like a chick would. There is no way that Lorenzo, being Italian, will ever get the answers correct.
    Well, I did work hard to be able to think like a chick. Maybe that explains my new apparent fondness for musicals.
    GR lives...

Guys, I have been banging around the 80 mark for the last two weeks. My short game has really come on and allowed me to be consistently in the low 80s. Today, I went out and shot my lowest score ever ---- a 74, 3 over par. It was a great day. I had one double bogey and 3 birdies. The rest were mostly pars with a few bogeys. It will be interesting to see what I back it up with whenever I go out to play tomorrow.

P.S. -- Winning money off a bunch of old farts that usually golf better than I do was just gravy. lol

Guys, I have been banging around the 80 mark for the last two weeks. My short game has really come on and allowed me to be consistently in the low 80s. Today, I went out and shot my lowest score ever ---- a 74, 3 over par. It was a great day. I had one double bogey and 3 birdies. The rest were mostly pars with a few bogeys. It will be interesting to see what I back it up with whenever I go out to play tomorrow.

P.S. -- Winning money off a bunch of old farts that usually golf better than I do was just gravy. lol
    phuck-n-eh! Great score and early in the season. You left out the important detail, Eye2's (LOL) or one of your GFF's?

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    phuck-n-eh! Great score and early in the season. You left out the important detail, Eye2's (LOL) or one of your GFF's?
    MP-67s were the weapons. The blades were feeling like butter today. No niblick in the bag, but I did bag the Thriver and use it a couple of times.

MP-67s were the weapons. The blades were feeling like butter today. No niblick in the bag, but I did bag the Thriver and use it a couple of times.
    Very respectable. I suggest you get drunk before your next round so you have an excuse.

Very respectable. I suggest you get drunk before your next round so you have an excuse.
    That might be a good idea.

Sounds like a trip to Winstar is in order.. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Sounds like a trip to Winstar is in order.. :-)
    Sure dave, you see a guy with a fresh winnings and you figure his a mark. Unbelievable.

3 over. Good score. Great fukking score.

That equals my best score on a real course. I've shot 1 and 2 over on my old goat track, but on a full length course 3 over is my best. I predict that your next round will be sub 80. You may not go as low as 3 over, but by shooting that low you have created a big buffer between you and the 80s. Now you know that you can be 4 or 5 shots below your best and still break 80 so you should start feeling like 79 or 78 is only ok, not an achievement. So much of golf is in the head.

P.S. Shooting 74 is an achievement in itself, but doing it with GFF blades makes it that much classier. The guys you played with will be talking about you as that low marker blade player, not that shovel playing chopper who got lucky like they would have thought if you played Ping.

The guys I play with on the weekend come out and play in the evenings. Several of them have seen the score I posted and have called me to congratulate me. It feels good. Thanks to you guys, too. I'm hoping it is a sign of good things to come. What should my next goal be? Subpar?

The guys I play with on the weekend come out and play in the evenings. Several of them have seen the score I posted and have called me to congratulate me. It feels good. Thanks to you guys, too. I'm hoping it is a sign of good things to come. What should my next goal be? Subpar?
    I think a more realistic goal would be even par. Most guys I know who shoot under par shot even par numerous times before shooting under. I've gone close with a 1 over, but that day I was never under par so sub par never reall came into the equation. Shooting sub par is a good goal, but very hard to achieve for 18 holes.

Congrats Sooner, that's a great score and even more sweet with the 67's in the bag.
    So was it one of those days where you were hitting everything sweet?

I've had days where I hit most fairways and greens and get up and down on most greens I miss. I've had other days when I hardly hit a green but keep getting up and down to save par and the scores are similar.

At three over I'm guessing everything was clicking? i.e. Driving in the fairway, most GIR and no three putts?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Wow, one step at a time. I'd just try to keep my head down and don't get too cocky. The golf gods will certainly make an example out of you. Just try to hit fairways and greens. The rest should take care of itself.

Btw goals to me are something you can control. A score has many elements and are results of many things. I just try to keep working on my weaknesses. Who knows the next round it might be blowing 20-30 with 50 mph gusts. I talked to my old man this last week. He shot 33 on the front and was certain he was going to shoot his age. Then the wind picked up and he shot a 40 on the back. One over his age.

Wow, one step at a time. I'd just try to keep my head down and don't get too cocky. The golf gods will certainly make an example out of you. Just try to hit fairways and greens. The rest should take care of itself.

Btw goals to me are something you can control. A score has many elements and are results of many things. I just try to keep working on my weaknesses. Who knows the next round it might be blowing 20-30 with 50 mph gusts. I talked to my old man this last week. He shot 33 on the front and was certain he was going to shoot his age. Then the wind picked up and he shot a 40 on the back. One over his age.
    LOL - a few weeks ago I was playing with a friend who is a casual beginner golfer. He was about to play the ball in the bunker when he moved a leaf that was near his ball. I told him he couldn't do that but didn't penalise him as I figured he would know for next time. Anyway he took about 5 hacks to get out of a pretty tame bunker ruining what was a pretty good round for him up to that point. I explained to him afterwards that the golfing gods were punishing him for moving that leaf.

Congrats to your Dad BTW. Great round.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I agree that score is not the sort of goal you should be setting as there are so many variables. Maybe a more acieveable goal would be to take OB out of play, or to hit more fairways and greens. these are the sorts of things that can be achieved with smarter play, but scores are fickle at best.

I agree that score is not the sort of goal you should be setting as there are so many variables. Maybe a more acieveable goal would be to take OB out of play, or to hit more fairways and greens. these are the sorts of things that can be achieved with smarter play, but scores are fickle at best.
    Careful NAH, you're starting to sound like a certain guy from Rancho Santa Fe.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thread Information