|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

8.9 Japanese Earthquake

The beaches here were closed this morning in anticipation of tsunamis hitting the California coast from the J-quake. No damage in OC but there's been alot up in Santa Cruz and the Ventura harbor partially drained as the surge approached. Now they're reporting a fatality in California.

The quake lasted several minutes! The ones I've been in, even powerful ones lasted at most 20 seconds. Most were 5-10 seconds. Generally the more powerful the longer lasting.

Quakes like this are so powerful they permanently alter the earth's axis and can trigger quakes on separate faults nearby, which has already happened near Japan. Some seismologist believe they're capable of triggering quakes on the complete other side of their tectonic plate, where in this case some of us happen to live.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    The beaches here were closed this morning in anticipation of tsunamis hitting the California coast from the J-quake. No damage in OC but there's been alot up in Santa Cruz and the Ventura harbor partially drained as the surge approached. Now they're reporting a fatality in California.

The quake lasted several minutes! The ones I've been in, even powerful ones lasted at most 20 seconds. Most were 5-10 seconds. Generally the more powerful the longer lasting.

Quakes like this are so powerful they permanently alter the earth's axis and can trigger quakes on separate faults nearby, which has already happened near Japan. Some seismologist believe they're capable of triggering quakes on the complete other side of their tectonic plate, where in this case some of us happen to live.
    The fatality was Charlie Sheen's agent.

Look up supermoon on the daily telegraph site. Quite a coincedence it seems
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Interesting for sure, but more than a week away so far coincidence. But I'm taking breakables off shelves for awhile.
    GR lives...

From recent headlines, looks like a nuke plant has sprung a leak. Bad ju ju, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    From recent headlines, looks like a nuke plant has sprung a leak. Bad ju ju, folks.
    Hard to cool those things down when they go off-line in an emergency. Fortunately, it sounds as thought they've secured the core.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I was reading about this on Yahoo news yesterday. The moon comes its closest ever on March 19th. I would think it is more than coincidence.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I was reading about this on Yahoo news yesterday. The moon comes its closest ever on March 19th. I would think it is more than coincidence.
    God bless our unknown friends in Japan... I have been communicating with our colleagues in Mia which is south of Japan, they are all OK... Bless our Bros in Hawaii and California... FD, Lorenzo , who else? be careful out there

Oh sure, now you base fact on coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    God bless our unknown friends in Japan... I have been communicating with our colleagues in Mia which is south of Japan, they are all OK... Bless our Bros in Hawaii and California... FD, Lorenzo , who else? be careful out there
    Thanks PKY, I moved my Ping Eye 2s and myself up into the attic. Right after that I yelled out for the rest of my family to come on up and join us.

I have become aware of a crack in the earth 150 miles long x 50 miles wide. I hope it is a misunderstanding or a miscommunication. I do not know the location, and I do not know why it is not reported yet.
    ... a tree branch, or my foot.

I'm guessing the crack is next to the land of fruits and nuts. San Andreas?
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135
    I'm guessing the crack is next to the land of fruits and nuts. San Andreas?
    LOL!!! I thought it was DC....you know...the commander in chief's stash!

Time to evacuate OC?

What, so now I need a radiation detector? If there are meltdowns at the earthquake damaged Japanese power plants, the Pacific Coast is at risk. That includes, Spank, Poe, FD, Dorkman47-53, Alan, Larry and me. I live within 12 miles of an SDG&E nuclear power plant at San Onofre. Spokesholes for SDG&E announced today San Onofre is safe from earthquakes and tsunamis that "could happen here."

Meanwhile, a San Onofre meltdown would kill an estimated one million people. I have less trust in these SDG&E fools than I do in the people that handled the ill-fated nuclear facilities in Japan.
    GR lives...

What, so now I need a radiation detector? If there are meltdowns at the earthquake damaged Japanese power plants, the Pacific Coast is at risk. That includes, Spank, Poe, FD, Dorkman47-53, Alan, Larry and me. I live within 12 miles of an SDG&E nuclear power plant at San Onofre. Spokesholes for SDG&E announced today San Onofre is safe from earthquakes and tsunamis that "could happen here."

Meanwhile, a San Onofre meltdown would kill an estimated one million people. I have less trust in these SDG&E fools than I do in the people that handled the ill-fated nuclear facilities in Japan.
    Watching the news in the last 5 days it clearly shows that the Japaneses are very well disciplined and take pride in what they are facing... If this happened in LA , no matter how small people would take opportunity to break in windows and steal merchandises... Yes, it happened during the earthquake at Northridge CA

Watching the news in the last 5 days it clearly shows that the Japaneses are very well disciplined and take pride in what they are facing... If this happened in LA , no matter how small people would take opportunity to break in windows and steal merchandises... Yes, it happened during the earthquake at Northridge CA
    They might not be everyone's cup of tea, but there certainy are plenty of things about the Japs to admire. In the face of this type of crisis, I would imagine that civil disorder would have broken out in any other country of the world. I've heard reports of petrol syphoning here and there, but that sort of shiat happens over here during the best of times. The Japs are very disciplined and resourceful
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    They might not be everyone's cup of tea, but there certainy are plenty of things about the Japs to admire. In the face of this type of crisis, I would imagine that civil disorder would have broken out in any other country of the world. I've heard reports of petrol syphoning here and there, but that sort of shiat happens over here during the best of times. The Japs are very disciplined and resourceful
    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...its_japan.html

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    That's how they make the best GFF blades ...
    Seriously, the Japs make the most reliable cars, if the Germans put their ego away, they could combine the best engineering know-hows in auto engines and the best electronic devices from Japan then we all drive the best and most reliable cars in the world... I drive MB320, best handling and ride-ability car, but the electronic sucks compare to my wife's RAV4

I've generally felt somewhat safe living at my location as I'm 30 miles or more from a fault capable of a 7.0 or greater. As far as I know. Bear in mind they didn't even know the fault generating the Northridge quake existed until it ruptured. I'm also 3 miles away from the ocean so never even considered threat from a tsunami.

The closest land to the 9.0 (recently upgraded) is 80 miles away. Tokyo is 230. Fortunately the risk of a 7.5 or greater here is at best slight as it's clear this type of quake at 9.0 is a whole different animal than other large quakes that have struck the world in our lifetimes.
    GR lives...

No fear Zo, the likes of our resident Nuclear Engineer, Larry, is on the job.

I've generally felt somewhat safe living at my location as I'm 30 miles or more from a fault capable of a 7.0 or greater. As far as I know. Bear in mind they didn't even know the fault generating the Northridge quake existed until it ruptured. I'm also 3 miles away from the ocean so never even considered threat from a tsunami.

The closest land to the 9.0 (recently upgraded) is 80 miles away. Tokyo is 230. Fortunately the risk of a 7.5 or greater here is at best slight as it's clear this type of quake at 9.0 is a whole different animal than other large quakes that have struck the world in our lifetimes.
    Despite what people think the best place to live for an earthquake is in the hills. The worst place to live is on level ground or on soil that has a lot of sand in it.

I can't help but look at the pics coming over from Japan and feel really bad for them. It is enough that they had to suffer through one of the worse tsunamis to hit land, but now to live in fear of radiation poisoning? Geeeez. A couple of days ago, they had over 1,000 bodies wash up on a shoreline. How would you like to be the relative that has to sift through that mess to find your loved ones? I don't think any of us have a clue what they are going through. I was around here whenever the domestic terrorist bombed the Merrill building here in OKC. That was devastating and horrific to have to watch and be a part of, but what the Japanese people are going through is far worse.

You are right beyond a doubt. Thugs in LA area just look for reasons to rob and loot. Remember the Rodney King incident? People upset over the way the police treated a known criminal, so what do they do? Go out and start rioting, stealing and looting. The same thing can be said for what happened in the Katrina disaster. I'll never forget watching CNN whenever they were interviewing a guy who had been arrested for looting. He said, "People have to eat, I need food for my family." He had stolen a TV.

Several songs they are not playing on japanese radio:

Shake, rattle and roll

Surfing USA

Meltdown

Lorenzo... I know that you live in S.CA, but whereabout... I know that area quite well since I have visited a lot of friends in SF, SJ, Monterey/Cameo, St.Louis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Wesminster/Little SG/Irvine Orange country, Newport beach, Laguna beach all the way down to San Diego... I have never crossed the border into Mexico though

Lorenzo... I know that you live in S.CA, but whereabout... I know that area quite well since I have visited a lot of friends in SF, SJ, Monterey/Cameo, St.Louis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Wesminster/Little SG/Irvine Orange country, Newport beach, Laguna beach all the way down to San Diego... I have never crossed the border into Mexico though
    Yes, please give us the exact address, phone number and social security number so we can verify your claim.

I can't help but look at the pics coming over from Japan and feel really bad for them. It is enough that they had to suffer through one of the worse tsunamis to hit land, but now to live in fear of radiation poisoning? Geeeez. A couple of days ago, they had over 1,000 bodies wash up on a shoreline. How would you like to be the relative that has to sift through that mess to find your loved ones? I don't think any of us have a clue what they are going through. I was around here whenever the domestic terrorist bombed the Merrill building here in OKC. That was devastating and horrific to have to watch and be a part of, but what the Japanese people are going through is far worse.
    SBS... there is a HUGE difference... what happened to the Merrill building was due to our own people... I doubt if the Japs would do that to their own people

SBS... there is a HUGE difference... what happened to the Merrill building was due to our own people... I doubt if the Japs would do that to their own people
    I agree. What's happened is just horrible. I don't see how they can rebuild everything that's been destroyed but it always amazes me how quickly people can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I agree. What's happened is just horrible. I don't see how they can rebuild everything that's been destroyed but it always amazes me how quickly people can do it.
    I was in and out of Hiroshima briefly in 1969 and the City looked like it was less than 30 years old.

You are right beyond a doubt. Thugs in LA area just look for reasons to rob and loot. Remember the Rodney King incident? People upset over the way the police treated a known criminal, so what do they do? Go out and start rioting, stealing and looting. The same thing can be said for what happened in the Katrina disaster. I'll never forget watching CNN whenever they were interviewing a guy who had been arrested for looting. He said, "People have to eat, I need food for my family." He had stolen a TV.
    Scum does not take long to surface. There were looters in the Christchurch CBD within hours of the Christchurch earthquake. In addition to closing off the CBD for safety reasons they have also had to maintain a security cordon to keep the looting scum out.

These lowlifes are beneath contempt IMO.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Hey GR brothers, Can we all get along???

[QUOTE=SoonerBS]You are right beyond a doubt. Thugs in LA area just look for reasons to rob and loot. Remember the Rodney King incident? People upset over the way the police treated a known criminal, so what do they do? Go out and start rioting, stealing and looting. The same thing can be said for what happened in the Katrina disaster. I'll never forget watching CNN whenever they were interviewing a guy who had been arrested for looting. He said, "People have to eat, I need food for my family." He had stolen a TV.[/QUOTE]

Well, as I said... we in USA take pride in what we are doing

Hey GR brothers, Can we all get along???
    Well if everyone would play forged blades and agree that the draw is the superior shot shape of course we could. But until then. NEVER!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Well if everyone would play forged blades and agree that the draw is the superior shot shape of course we could. But until then. NEVER!
    Kiwiman... I assume that you did not live in the States during that time then you would not know where that statement was coming from

Kiwiman... I assume that you did not live in the States during that time then you would not know where that statement was coming from
    LOL - I sure do. Believe it or not we had TV here in 1992.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    LOL - I sure do. Believe it or not we had TV here in 1992.
    Sure we know that you guys/girls/AC-DC had TV in NewZealand in 1992... I was not sure if they showed the riot in LA in details outside of the USA
    There was a TV show about him (he relives that time interval) couple weeks ago... not sure if it was shown in New Zealand...

I was just wondering who does the ratings for all of these earthquakes. Is their a panel or something? The latest Japan earthquake earned an 8.9 and the one I experienced in Los Angeles back in 1994 only earned something like a 6.5. Is there a devastation factor in the judging? Does a Tsunami and reactor meltdown earn you more points?

I live at 1712 Nyes Pl, Laguna Beach. My phone number is (949)775-2145. Please keep all this confidential. Although feel free to stop by any time. No need to call in advance.

Magnitude of an earthquake is determined by a guy living in Pacoima who looks at pictures of the damage. Magnitude is only one factor as to capacity to do damage. Others are depth, motion of opposing plates and ground composition.
    GR lives...

I was just wondering who does the ratings for all of these earthquakes. Is their a panel or something? The latest Japan earthquake earned an 8.9 and the one I experienced in Los Angeles back in 1994 only earned something like a 6.5. Is there a devastation factor in the judging? Does a Tsunami and reactor meltdown earn you more points?
    FD... I am pretty sure what it means... It expresses in Log scale so 9 is 30 times stronger than 6

What is the Richter scale?
    Filed under: Environment, Interest, Science by mishunderstanding — 15 Comments
    January 23, 2011

The Richter scale is a logarithmic scale used to express the total amount of energy released by an earthquake. Its values typically fall between 0 and 9, with each increase of 1 representing a 10-fold increase in energy.

Wikipedia info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale

Size and Frequency of Occurrence.

There are around 500,000 earthquakes each year. About 100,000 of these can actually be felt. Minor earthquakes occur nearly constantly around the world in places like California and Alaska in the U.S., as well as in Guatemala. Chile, Peru, Indonesia, Iran, Pakistan, the Azores in Portugal, Turkey, New Zealand, Greece, Italy, and Japan, but earthquakes can occur almost anywhere, including New York City, London, and Australia.

Larger earthquakes occur less frequently, the relationship being exponential; for example, roughly ten times as many earthquakes larger than magnitude 4 occur in a particular time period than earthquakes larger than magnitude 5. In the (low seismicity) United Kingdom, for example, it has been calculated that the average recurrences are: an earthquake of 3.7 – 4.6 every year, an earthquake of 4.7 – 5.5 every 10 years, and an earthquake of 5.6 or larger every 100 years. This is an example of the Gutenberg-Richter law.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVqYg...layer_embedded

You are welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Shame on you, Pkwy. A scientist should know that with a logarithmic scale, a 9 is 1,000 more powerful than a 6.
    GR lives...

I live at 1712 Nyes Pl, Laguna Beach. My phone number is (949)775-2145. Please keep all this confidential. Although feel free to stop by any time. No need to call in advance.

Magnitude of an earthquake is determined by a guy living in Pacoima who looks at pictures of the damage. Magnitude is only one factor as to capacity to do damage. Others are depth, motion of opposing plates and ground composition.
    Ah Laguna Beach... lovely area, I believe it's south of Newport Beach and about 30 minutes drive to Little Saigon... I've been there

FD... I am pretty sure what it means... It expresses in Log scale so 9 is 30 times stronger than 6

What is the Richter scale?
    Filed under: Environment, Interest, Science by mishunderstanding — 15 Comments
    January 23, 2011

The Richter scale is a logarithmic scale used to express the total amount of energy released by an earthquake. Its values typically fall between 0 and 9, with each increase of 1 representing a 10-fold increase in energy.

Wikipedia info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale

Size and Frequency of Occurrence.

There are around 500,000 earthquakes each year. About 100,000 of these can actually be felt. Minor earthquakes occur nearly constantly around the world in places like California and Alaska in the U.S., as well as in Guatemala. Chile, Peru, Indonesia, Iran, Pakistan, the Azores in Portugal, Turkey, New Zealand, Greece, Italy, and Japan, but earthquakes can occur almost anywhere, including New York City, London, and Australia.

Larger earthquakes occur less frequently, the relationship being exponential; for example, roughly ten times as many earthquakes larger than magnitude 4 occur in a particular time period than earthquakes larger than magnitude 5. In the (low seismicity) United Kingdom, for example, it has been calculated that the average recurrences are: an earthquake of 3.7 – 4.6 every year, an earthquake of 4.7 – 5.5 every 10 years, and an earthquake of 5.6 or larger every 100 years. This is an example of the Gutenberg-Richter law.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVqYg...layer_embedded

You are welcome
    I'm glad scientists are doing the judging rather than Randy Jackson. I never agree with that idiot.

Shame on you, Pkwy. A scientist should know that with a logarithmic scale, a 9 is 1,000 more powerful than a 6.
    Oh shìtttt... my bad... what the fukkkk am I thinking??? just a bad day... too many meetings. Thanks for correction

I sure hope you like pizza. Should be about 30 minutes.

You must not like the guy who lives at that address very much...

Oh well, I hope he likes pizza then. Even arranged for a hot Asian delivery chick, just to sweeten the deal. I was told she's bi, and very open-minded, but that probably doesn't matter at this point...

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    I sure hope you like pizza. Should be about 30 minutes.

You must not like the guy who lives at that address very much...

Oh well, I hope he likes pizza then. Even arranged for a hot Asian delivery chick, just to sweeten the deal. I was told she's bi, and very open-minded, but that probably doesn't matter at this point...

FON
    She's here, thanks.
    GR lives...

She's here, thanks.

I demand photographic evidence for the $80 I just blew on pizza for a stranger...

Pics of pizza or GTFO.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

Unit 4 has apparently run out of water, fuel rods are exposed and radiation is reported to be "very high" in and around the reactor site. Head of the U.S. Regulatory Commission has described the situation as "extremely dire". Americans have been told to evacuate. It appears approximately 50 Japanese workers are risking their lives trying to install an electric line to permit a resumption of cooling.

What a tragic yet spellbinding set of events. CNN's coverage is fair at best. Alot of politicians are being heard from, saying what you already knew they'd say. They've collected some experts but with things happening quickly and their over-coverage of predictable public statements, they're not keeping viewers informed as much as broadcasting everyone who's talking publicly.

And of course there's also plenty of wasted air-time consisting of reporters winging it without engendering confidence they know what they're talking about.
    GR lives...

Unit 4 has apparently run out of water, fuel rods are exposed and radiation is reported to be "very high" in and around the reactor site. Head of the U.S. Regulatory Commission has described the situation as "extremely dire". Americans have been told to evacuate. It appears approximately 50 Japanese workers are risking their lives trying to install an electric line to permit a resumption of cooling.

What a tragic yet spellbinding set of events. CNN's coverage is fair at best. Alot of politicians are being heard from, saying what you already knew they'd say. They've collected some experts but with things happening quickly and their over-coverage of predictable public statements, they're not keeping viewers informed as much as broadcasting everyone who's talking publicly.

And of course there's also plenty of wasted air-time consisting of reporters winging it without engendering confidence they know what they're talking about.
    I am close to information source and technology. My Bro was a director at Detroit Edison, a utility company, who helped build the Monroe Nuclear Power plant, between Detroit Michigan and Toledo Ohio. In fact, he helped run that plant for at least 15 yrs. He retired over a yr ago and now works as a consultant for Duke Energy in Salem South Carolina. I talked to him last night and he told me the situation is worse than 3-mile Island (he worked for Bechtel in SF back then building nuclear plants... so he's been in nuclear engineering for 33+ yrs and trust me he can talk about this field with authority). Duke energy is watching the situation closely to learn how to build nuclear plants safer in the future.

I am close to information source and technology. My Bro was a director at Detroit Edison, a utility company, who helped build the Monroe Nuclear Power plant, between Detroit Michigan and Toledo Ohio. In fact, he helped run that plant for at least 15 yrs. He retired over a yr ago and now works as a consultant for Duke Energy in Salem South Carolina. I talked to him last night and he told me the situation is worse than 3-mile Island (he worked for Bechtel in SF back then building nuclear plants... so he's been in nuclear engineering for 33+ yrs and trust me he can talk about this field with authority). Duke energy is watching the situation closely to learn how to build nuclear plants safer in the future.
    Given what's happening, it's unlikely there will be nuclear power plant development for a very long time.
    GR lives...

Who here's following this? Won't update if most are tuned in.

Now they're talking about having to evacuate the entire area, meaning there will be no attention given to the other reactors making multiple meltdowns possible. Given the radioactive materials in the vicinity. Filtering out the exuberance of the CNN expert, that would be really bad in a nobody knows what will happen kind of way.

They're also saying the workers being sent in now may very well be on suicide missions. One of them sent his wife a text saying his goodbyes.
    GR lives...

Who here's following this? Won't update if most are tuned in.

Now they're talking about having to evacuate the entire area, meaning there will be no attention given to the other reactors making multiple meltdowns possible. Given the radioactive materials in the vicinity. Filtering out the exuberance of the CNN expert, that would be really bad in a nobody knows what will happen kind of way.

They're also saying the workers being sent in now may very well be on suicide missions. One of them sent his wife a text saying his goodbyes.

I'm not watching on TV, but I have been following this disaster online.

It's really horrific what's happening there. One worst-case scenario after another. Before all is said and done they are probably going to have to relocate millions of people, and they were already crammed like sardines on those few little islands.

The actions of the workers trying to salvage something from the situation is truly heroic, with many of them almost certainly giving their lives in an attempt to minimize the scale of the imminent disaster.

You guys out on the West Coast, stay safe... historically these sorts of tectonic events tend to make their way right around the plate. So far only the western edge of the Pacific plate has had major quakes. I'd put money on Western North America getting some major action in the next few months.

Stay on your toes, fellas.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

I don't know what to say about the situation in Japan, but I have read everything about the nuclear problems and I am drawing some conclusions that at least one of the reactors is going to meltdown. The workers are going to lose their lives and there is a possibility this event could be worse than Chernobyl. I don't know how it could get much worse for Japan.

Given what's happening, it's unlikely there will be nuclear power plant development for a very long time.
    Lorenzo... According to my Director Nuclear Eng Bros, USA has committed $300+billions (?) to build 20-30 nuke plants and reduce our dependency on foreign oil... so, the show WILL go on, we just have to take precautions in building a safer plant taking into account of what is going on in Japan.
    Nuclear engineering is a HOT field right now, according to my Bro, the reason: no plant has been built in the last 30 yrs, so there is a limited supply of Nuke engineers... , most students convert themselves from EE to nuclear (a true Ph.D nuclear engineer from Northwestern Univ can command a salary of $100K-120K fresh out of school). More Nuke plants will be built in Asia (Korea , Japan and China) because they also don't want to depend on foreign oil... we just have to built them safer

Lorenzo... According to my Director Nuclear Eng Bros, USA has committed $300+billions (?) to build 20-30 nuke plants and reduce our dependency on foreign oil... so, the show WILL go on, we just have to take precautions in building a safer plant taking into account of what is going on in Japan.
    Nuclear engineering is a HOT field right now, according to my Bro, the reason: no plant has been built in the last 30 yrs, so there is a limited supply of Nuke engineers... , most students convert themselves from EE to nuclear (a true Ph.D nuclear engineer from Northwestern Univ can command a salary of $100K-120K fresh out of school). More Nuke plants will be built in Asia (Korea , Japan and China) because they also don't want to depend on foreign oil... we just have to built them safer
    And far away from large populations. And in third and fourth world countries so that we can have the oil much cheaper due to decreased demand.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    And far away from large populations. And in third and fourth world countries so that we can have the oil much cheaper due to decreased demand.
    You all probably realize by now that ALL nuke plants and paper mills are built next to rivers for cooling water... and those locations are shìittttty... When I was in Grad school in Che.Eng. I learned pretty quickly that I don't want to be at those shìììity locations

Now you're in an area I haven't just read about. Unless and until all permits have been pulled to begin construction, commitment and funding mean little. Even without the situation in Japan, the permit process would take years. No matter the urgency and need, if anti-nuke development is a vote controlling issue for many and few people are willing to live near or downwind of one, there's no way on god's green earth they'll get built.

During a hot summer, we have rolling blackouts here, so I understand the need based on current consumption and growth. But if I was picking a career right now, it wouldn't rely on nuke power plant development.
    GR lives...

Now you're in an area I haven't just read about. Unless and until all permits have been pulled to begin construction, commitment and funding mean little. Even without the situation in Japan, the permit process would take years. No matter the urgency and need, if anti-nuke development is a vote controlling issue for many and few people are willing to live near or downwind of one, there's no way on god's green earth they'll get built.

During a hot summer, we have rolling blackouts here, so I understand the need based on current consumption and growth. But if I was picking a career right now, it wouldn't rely on nuke power plant development.
    U are absolutely correct... things will take time now and safety will be a major concern in building Nuke plants.. Solar energy, Hybrid etc... will become hot technologies, advanced battery technologies will be hot ticket items... Back when I was in Grad school, there was a great debate in Fusion and Fission technology .... Unfortunately Fusion technology has not advanced very far...

For those who are not familiar with those (I am NOT teaching here)... in a simple way to look at, it's a "combine" instead of "split" atoms to create energy.

(Fusion power is the power generated by nuclear fusion reactions. In this kind of reaction, two light atomic nuclei fuse together to form a heavier nucleus and in doing so, release a large amount of energy. In a more general sense, the term can also refer to the production of net usable power from a fusion source, similar to the usage of the term "steam power." Most design studies for fusion power plants involve using the fusion reactions to create heat, which is then used to operate a steam turbine, which drives generators to produce electricity. Except for the use of a thermonuclear heat source, this is similar to most coal, oil, and gas-fired power stations as well as fission-driven nuclear power stations.)

Lorenzo... From what I am reading, SCE is OK and in good shape it was built in around 1980
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lorenzo... From what I am reading, SCE is OK and in good shape it was built in around 1980
    San Onofre has one of the most famous surf breaks in the U.S. It's been in Beach Boy songs. I often surf at Old Man's on the other side of the reactor because its rock bottom and endless break reduces the chances of me having to scrape newbie off the nose of my board.

The containment vessels look exactly like a pair of anatomically correct perfect female breasts from I-5 as you drive past them just south of OC. San Clemente, the closest community several miles away, has been fighting the power plant for years but now it's reaching a crescendo.

I live 11 miles away from the plant (2 generators) and I want it gone. I know all about engineers and scientists convincing themselves that since they know so much, they know everything. I also know about self-interest coloring ones opinion and you see that in the nuclear arena in spades. Couple that with companies' prime directive rightfully being to make money and you'll never convince me they're safe or responsible.

I understand I chose to live here and I respect the opinion of others to disagree. But I don't think placing trust in something like nuclear power given the downside and human reality makes sense.

Guys like Larry tell you as many people died in Ted Kennedy's car as with nuclear power. Not true unless Kennedy made a whole lot of trips over that bridge.
    GR lives...

Maybe I Won't Golf on Friday

Working out of the house today with news in the background. Now, with a radiation stream heading towards the west coast and expected to arrive within the next day or two, all of a sudden they're ramping up. It's taken them a while, apparently out of defense of nuclear power in this country.

The Fox nuclear analyst tried to avert concerns about the cloud by saying even at its worst it won't increase cancer risk by as much as 5%. He may have mispoke as others are saying the amount coming through by the end of the weekend will amount to the level of a chest x-ray.

But is that a one-time x-ray or continuous for days?
    GR lives...

Working out of the house today with news in the background. Now, with a radiation stream heading towards the west coast and expected to arrive within the next day or two, all of a sudden they're ramping up. It's taken them a while, apparently out of defense of nuclear power in this country.

The Fox nuclear analyst tried to avert concerns about the cloud by saying even at its worst it won't increase cancer risk by as much as 5%. He may have mispoke as others are saying the amount coming through by the end of the weekend will amount to the level of a chest x-ray.

But is that a one-time x-ray or continuous for days?
    Relax Lorenzo, just stay indoor, cook up a great Hungarian Goulash dish, drink great red wine and go at it with your babe... nothing to worry about

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/japan's-nuclear-meltdown-has-congress-questioning-nuclear-energy-536025.html?tickers=xle,xlu,xom,cop,pbw,bp

Relax Lorenzo, just stay indoor, cook up a great Hungarian Goulash dish, drink great red wine and go at it with your babe... nothing to worry about

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/japan's-nuclear-meltdown-has-congress-questioning-nuclear-energy-536025.html?tickers=xle,xlu,xom,cop,pbw,bp
    They're using anti-panic speak in describing how Californians should respond. The President on down is saying "they don't expect levels to be a concern." That's different than don't worry there's no problem. If you can't say there's no problem...there could be.
    GR lives...

So I Guess This Is Now My Blog.

As I was choking on radiation here today, I came across this video showing the tsunami hit a town and transition from slight in the beginning to extreme and devastating.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/vide...=ILCNETTXT3486

GR lives...

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    As I was choking on radiation here today, I came across this video showing the tsunami hit a town and transition from slight in the beginning to extreme and devastating.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/vide...=ILCNETTXT3486
    For some reason, this video is just scary...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2f2Nw3j2fE

Remember when you watch it, that it was shot in Tokyo: 200 miles from the quake.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker
    For some reason, this video is just scary...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2f2Nw3j2fE

Remember when you watch it, that it was shot in Tokyo: 200 miles from the quake.
    Alot of surreal things taking place post-earthquake. Now independent physicists are recommending sending in plane load after plane load of boron, concrete, sand, etc., to bury the nuke plant as soon as possible as stalling things could lead to the loss of "a good chunk of Northern Japan."

If there was ever mass sale of souls to the devil, it's nuclear power.
    GR lives...

Alot of surreal things taking place post-earthquake. Now independent physicists are recommending sending in plane load after plane load of boron, concrete, sand, etc., to bury the nuke plant as soon as possible as stalling things could lead to the loss of "a good chunk of Northern Japan."

If there was ever mass sale of souls to the devil, it's nuclear power.
    Now I think that's taking things a bit too far...

Yes: the potential for damage when things go wrong is large, but that in and of itself doesn't make the technology evil; it just means you have to give it appropriate respect.

I don't know why everyone doesn't use CANDU reactors. They are far more failsafe than anything else.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Damn.

It appears that some of the radioactive contamination has made it into the food chain...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/japanese-go...35217-943.html

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    Damn.

It appears that some of the radioactive contamination has made it into the food chain...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/japanese-go...35217-943.html
    What are you talking about, FON? Larry's already told us that Rush and Shawn have determined that this is all "much ado about nothing" and that no radiation is even getting past the fence (although I'm unclear how a fence stops radiation, I admit)!

So what possible problem can this be?

Sadly, reality is far removed from Larry's comprehension...
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Have you ever wondered if the Earth is simply a space station used by aliens? They delivered plants, animals and humans to the planet simply to create enough heat and biodegradeable material to power their signal transmitters inside the Earth's core. Whenever the transmitter gives off a signal it creates an earthquake. I'm telling you, it could happen.

With radioactivity now detected in water supplies in many states, soon to be almost all of them, just watch the run on bottled water about to take place.

With at least a partial meltdown detected in one of the reactors and plutonium showing up outside the plant, officials are acknowledging the possibility of explosions. In turn, American health officials are beginning to acknowledge this might pose a hazard in North America to food and drinking water.

Medical experts interviewed on TV are taking on a tone of fear I haven't noticed before.
    GR lives...

With radioactivity now detected in water supplies in many states, soon to be almost all of them, just watch the run on bottled water about to take place.

With at least a partial meltdown detected in one of the reactors and plutonium showing up outside the plant, officials are acknowledging the possibility of explosions. In turn, American health officials are beginning to acknowledge this might pose a hazard in North America to food and drinking water.

Medical experts interviewed on TV are taking on a tone of fear I haven't noticed before.
    Lorenzo, haven't you been paying attention?

Rush and Shawn said this was all "much ado about nothing", and Larry himself has assured us that radiation hasn't gotten by the fence....

...how can you possibly be concerned in the face of all this expert information?
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker
    Lorenzo, haven't you been paying attention?

Rush and Shawn said this was all "much ado about nothing", and Larry himself has assured us that radiation hasn't gotten by the fence....

...how can you possibly be concerned in the face of all this expert information?
    One thing is clear. Alot of people who've gotten airtime as medical and or nuclear experts aren't, including PHD research level individuals involved in the nuclear industry.
    GR lives...

One thing is clear. Alot of people who've gotten airtime as medical and or nuclear experts aren't, including PHD research level individuals involved in the nuclear industry.
    I think even experts can be wrong, but at times like these, to many in the media will listen to anyone who pipes up.

And the idiots in society will believe what even the obviously unqualified have to say.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

All you guys have assumed that the premise is true. -That the radiation first came from the nuclear plants.

Quote Originally Posted by jetdriver
    All you guys have assumed that the premise is true. -That the radiation first came from the nuclear plants.
    This was covered. There are isotopes that are supposedly a clear signature of Sendai.
    GR lives...

This was covered. There are isotopes that are supposedly a clear signature of Sendai.
    I don't know too much about isotopes but I do know about Isopure. It's the material Ping used in it's first putters with inserts.

I don't know too much about isotopes but I do know about Isopure. It's the material Ping used in it's first putters with inserts.
    That might explain the toxicity.
    GR lives...

That might explain the toxicity.
    Yes but they do dampen vibration so it does relate to the whole earthquake thing in that whole other country.

I thought the Isotopes were the Springfield baseball team?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information