|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Just look at that goat track!

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally fine with heavy wind, pot bunkers, bump & run, shot shaping, creative management, etc and anything that takes the so called pros out of their soft green, soft sand, soft fairway, and soft lie, no surprise elements.

BUT... you Brits could at least ATTEMPT to clean up your goat tracks for a major championship.

End of line.
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

Quote Originally Posted by CPS View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm totally fine with heavy wind, pot bunkers, bump & run, shot shaping, creative management, etc and anything that takes the so called pros out of their soft green, soft sand, soft fairway, and soft lie, no surprise elements.

BUT... you Brits could at least ATTEMPT to clean up your goat tracks for a major championship.

End of line.
    I disagree. I would love to play those types of courses. I've been told that many of the courses appear to look dried out but in reality are fairly lush. What's the point of having a bunker that's supposed to be penal when the pros can knock it within 5 feet every time?

Having a course look good on television is superficial and cosmetic. It is the golf equivalent of proper dental hygiene.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

RSG is tough.. Goat track or no, the rolls and bounces are not to be believed.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

I'd much rather play that goat track once than Augusta National fifty times. The food would be better in Georgia, but the fish and chips in Sandwich would be outasite.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I'd much rather play that goat track once than Augusta National fifty times. The food would be better in Georgia, but the fish and chips in Sandwich would be outasite.
    To each there own I guess. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the money to spend all Summer over in Ireland, Scotland and Northern England to play golf on all those courses, BUT if some one told me to pick one course in all the world to play, it would be Augusta.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    To each there own I guess. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the money to spend all Summer over in Ireland, Scotland and Northern England to play golf on all those courses, BUT if some one told me to pick one course in all the world to play, it would be Augusta.
    The problem I have with Augusta National is that it is the golf course most photographed, analyzed, acclaimed, adorated, etc. If it were a woman, it would be a Penthouse centerfold pet with every square nanometer exposed to the cameras and revealed to the public. Well used and abused. All tarted up. No hairs out of place. Suck some out here and pump it up over there to create the maximum unobtainium. Boring. When I was a kid my father took me to play some old courses at Gleneagles, Wentworth and, very close to home, Merion. He played Pine Valley on occasion but never took me there. A friend used to make his annual winter pilgrimage south and play Seminole. I'd rather do any of the latter three any day.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    The problem I have with Augusta National is that it is the golf course most photographed, analyzed, acclaimed, adorated, etc. If it were a woman, it would be a Penthouse centerfold pet with every square nanometer exposed to the cameras and revealed to the public. Well used and abused. All tarted up. No hairs out of place. Suck some out here and pump it up over there to create the maximum unobtainium. Boring. When I was a kid my father took me to play some old courses at Gleneagles, Wentworth and, very close to home, Merion. He played Pine Valley on occasion but never took me there. A friend used to make his annual winter pilgrimage south and play Seminole. I'd rather do any of the latter three any day.
    I think I just got a boner.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I disagree. I would love to play those types of courses. I've been told that many of the courses appear to look dried out but in reality are fairly lush. What's the point of having a bunker that's supposed to be penal when the pros can knock it within 5 feet every time?
    Having been a member of a links course in Oz, I agree with your assessment. Playing links golf is a completely different game to the parkland target golf you get in the US resort style courses. I found it more challenging than parkland golf, but at the same time more satisfying and enjoyable. Another big thing about links golf is that there isn't the preium on driver accuracy you get on other courses. There are usually no trees more than 10 feet high, and the fairways are usuall generous. The only dangers is the pot bunkers, which haev to be there to stop long bombers from tearing the course apart. I personally think that links golf is a greater test of a golfers all round golf, you need to play all the shots as every part of your game is severely tested, particularly when the wind gets up. The only downside about links golf is that if you play it all the time it can affect your swing. Playig inj the wind makes you swing flatter to keep your balance and keep the ball down, but doing it too often can ingrain swing faults.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    Having been a member of a links course in Oz, I agree with your assessment. Playing links golf is a completely different game to the parkland target golf you get in the US resort style courses. I found it more challenging than parkland golf, but at the same time more satisfying and enjoyable. Another big thing about links golf is that there isn't the preium on driver accuracy you get on other courses. There are usually no trees more than 10 feet high, and the fairways are usuall generous. The only dangers is the pot bunkers, which haev to be there to stop long bombers from tearing the course apart. I personally think that links golf is a greater test of a golfers all round golf, you need to play all the shots as every part of your game is severely tested, particularly when the wind gets up. The only downside about links golf is that if you play it all the time it can affect your swing. Playig inj the wind makes you swing flatter to keep your balance and keep the ball down, but doing it too often can ingrain swing faults.
    So what you're saying is you need $600 Scratch Wedges to play links golf?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    So what you're saying is you need $600 Scratch Wedges to play links golf?
    Good point. Links golf may be the only place Dorky would get his moneys worth for those things.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Again... I'm all for that type of creative game. My point is I have 10 courses within 15 miles here that are better maintained and more picturesque than this goat track. 1 of the semi-private courses has a staff of 2 full-timers and 2 part-timers and still looks better. These are not the grotesque resort courses being referred to but simple 1960's New England tracks. I stand by my words. These guys in Britain ever hear of a rake?
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

Again... I'm all for that type of creative game. My point is I have 10 courses within 15 miles here that are better maintained and more picturesque than this goat track. 1 of the semi-private courses has a staff of 2 full-timers and 2 part-timers and still looks better. These are not the grotesque resort courses being referred to but simple 1960's New England tracks. I stand by my words. These guys in Britain ever hear of a rake?
    Royal St Georges is a better maintained track than anything you are likely to see, they just don't care for fake greenness like pathetic American greenskeepers. A course doesn't have to be a briilliant green to be in good condition. Every course on the Open rota is immaculately maintained, they just them get a little shabby around the edges to make a sterner test for the professionals. The greenskeepers on those courses would have forgotten more about course maintenance than the small town nobodys who run courses in your backwater of the world, don't you worry about that.

The only criticism I have of the Open is the place luck plays in determining the winner, and it reared it's ugly head again yesterday. The early players had to play in howling wind and driving wind that was going sideways, but the leaders who teed off in the afternoon got much cleaner conditions, and a softened course to boot. I know ou have to play what's in front of you, but the conditions can be so different from morning to afternoon over there that the afternoon guys are laying a completely different course. I'm hoping DJ finds form and buries Clarke tonite. I would like to see a seppo return the favour of the Euros and win their major from under the nose of the locals.

14. im a member of a links course and love links golf!! RSG doesnt look good on tv because it isnt supposed to! its not manacured, they dont plant things to make it look pretty and spend hours clipping and prunning because they dont have too!! Its long, hard, 8ft deep bunkers, High winds, long rough and bad bounces. You have to shape your shots read fairways not just greens.

End of line.
    WRONG....that is REAL golf, there should be more courses like that in the states-you shouldn't have to fly to Oregon's Bandon Dunes (my home state-Go Beavers). If this weel would have happened in the US, they would have suspended play. We need more courses like they have in Europe-REAL links courses.

The municipal course nearest me is in 100X better shape on and off the fairways than RSG. You may have heard of it. Guess it must be the lack of sunshine from the crap weather there.

Don't get me wrong, tho. I love links stlye courses. Better for my crappy accuracy
    Dad, I was swimming in a rainbow with millions of babies... and they was naked... and then all of a sudden I turned into a perfect smile!

Quote Originally Posted by huskyhater View Post
    WRONG....that is REAL golf, there should be more courses like that in the states-you shouldn't have to fly to Oregon's Bandon Dunes (my home state-Go Beavers). If this weel would have happened in the US, they would have suspended play. We need more courses like they have in Europe-REAL links courses.
    Well the answer is fairly simple but looking at the graph below the US may have missed the boat for the time being. All you have to do is get a bunch of sheep & lamb farmers to convert to golf courses when lamb prices are down. It would be a very simple conversion. All they have to do is mow the areas they deem fairways, roll the areas they deem greens and leave the rest well alone.

Voilą!

A links golf course.

The maintenance costs would be extremely low, next to zero in fact. The only capital outlay would be buying a few flag sticks. When lamb prices go up just convert back to sheep farming and store the flag sticks in the shed for a couple of years. Everybody wins!

Unfortunately looking at that graph you should have done it in 2007-08 as prices look pretty good right now but at the next dip in the price cycle I predict the US golf market will be flooded with authentic British style links golf courses.

Last edited by Kiwi Player; 07-17-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Well the answer is fairly simple but looking at the graph below the US may have missed the boat for the time being. All you have to do is get a bunch of sheep & lamb farmers to convert to golf courses when lamb prices are down. It would be a very simple conversion. All they have to do is mow the areas they deem fairways, roll the areas they deem greens and leave the rest well alone.

Wallah!

A links golf course.

The maintenance costs would be extremely low, next to zero in fact. The only capital outlay would be buying a few flag sticks. When lamb prices go up just convert back to sheep farming and store the flag sticks in the shed for a couple of years. Everybody wins!

Unfortunately looking at that graph you should have done it in 2007-08 as prices look pretty good right now but at the next dip in the price cycle I predict the US golf market will be flooded with authentic British style links golf courses.

Whatever....if true, golf world would benefit. People would be playing golf the way it was invented on courses that played that way at that time. Too many kids want things to stay the same when wood was on top-OVER Done, DONE DEAL, tidays players can't handle courses like that including wood. Maybe thats why he's punked out the last few Majors, he can only compete in the regular Tour events.

Whatever....if true, golf world would benefit. People would be playing golf the way it was invented on courses that played that way at that time. Too many kids want things to stay the same when wood was on top-OVER Done, DONE DEAL, tidays players can't handle courses like that including wood. Maybe thats why he's punked out the last few Majors, he can only compete in the regular Tour events.
    EVERYTHING is Tigers fault in your world isn't it Husky?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Tiger Woods actually did adapt his game to links courses very well when he played and won the BO. When he won at St. Andrews he did not find one bunker the whole 4 days. He played mainly 2 iron off the tees and hit the ball very low. I'm not a Woods fan, never have been, but these are facts which like it or not actually happened.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    Tiger Woods actually did adapt his game to links courses very well when he played and won the BO. When he won at St. Andrews he did not find one bunker the whole 4 days. He played mainly 2 iron off the tees and hit the ball very low. I'm not a Woods fan, never have been, but these are facts which like it or not actually happened.
    I don't think Husky knows much about Tiger other than what he reads in People Magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I don't think Husky knows much about Tiger other than what he reads in People Magazine.
    husky=ellen n. maybe "husky" was a pet name she had for him?

EVERYTHING is Tigers fault in your world isn't it Husky?
    Not really, its just that this post caught my attention and I had to laugh. The mighty wood fans gripe and moan about the US Open course being too easy and how the PGA made it that way and now they turn around and do the same about how shabby the British Open course looks to them. What're they gonna gripe about when their boy 'comes back' and can't crack the top 20?

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    As much as peopel say Tiger changed the game, he is actually one of the last old school players left in golf. He is a true shotmaker who would have been just as great with the old equipment as he was with the new. He has the perfect game for links golf, supreme ball control, an inventive and solid short game and nerves of steel on the greens. He loves the challenge of links golf and can adapt his game to suit the conditions. His 2001 Open triumph at the home of golf was a links golf master class. He has also gone on record as saying St Andrews is his favourite course. No wonder he has won more Opens than any other golfe of his generation.

Yup

Spot on NAH, Saw tiger in adare at the pro-am last year in the middle of his hiatus. Granted the manor course is like a links/parkland hybrid he still shaped some awesome shots around the large oak trees that protrude the fairways on the front 9. Also, Tiger actually practices with old persimmon drivers and woods, prefers them for feel! I $hit you not!!

Thread Information