|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Pulled the trigger on some MP58s

After Horseballs posted about the MP59s I noticed a local trader was discounting the MP58s by about 40%. After reading so many rave reviews about these irons I couldn't resist. I pulled the trigger on Thursday and picked them up Friday afternoon.

Had a brief range session with them Friday then played 18 with them on Sunday afternoon. Man these babies are sweet! Very soft and pure feeling on good strikes. Pure strikes feel like butter. They also seem pretty forgiving. I seemed to get a very high ball flight which was interesting but it was my 1st time out with them and was very windy so I'm sure I'll figure that out. It was probably just my swing on the day. At address they look pretty similar in size and shape to the MP32 but my 1st impression is that pure strikes feel much softer.

Can't wait to get out and play another round with them but it was pouring with rain today and unfortunately we have more heavy rain forecast for the next few days.

After picking up a used combo set of MP30/33s a couple of years ago I have mucked around with a few different sets including the Tourstage Z101s and the MP32s but I was always tempted to get a new set of the latest GFF offerings. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a set of discounted MP62s last year but hesitated and they sold out. Now I have the MP58s I think I will stop mucking around with multiple sets and just concentrate on playing the one set all the time. I think I'll sell the MP30/33s & MP32s but I'll definitely keep the Z101s as a spare set. They are a collectors item and too sweet to let go.

But after one round I think the MP58s have found a permanent place in the bag.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Very nice Kiwi. Im sure you will love them!

I have yet to try the MP59, but I am looking forward to it.

Ive always thought the 58's were very sharp. Pass the eyeball test.....

Playing my mp33 still after 8/9 years....Nothing can match that pure hit feeling.They do tend to hit a bit higher,forcing the shots will only make it climb harder,not go further,so that is a bonus on keeping your distances consistent,all your shots will land softly on the green and not roll more then a meter or two.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "The statement below is true.
    The statement above is false"

duplicate post
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "The statement below is true.
    The statement above is false"

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    After Horseballs posted about the MP59s I noticed a local trader was discounting the MP58s by about 40%. After reading so many rave reviews about these irons I couldn't resist. I pulled the trigger on Thursday and picked them up Friday afternoon.

Had a brief range session with them Friday then played 18 with them on Sunday afternoon. Man these babies are sweet! Very soft and pure feeling on good strikes. Pure strikes feel like butter. They also seem pretty forgiving. I seemed to get a very high ball flight which was interesting but it was my 1st time out with them and was very windy so I'm sure I'll figure that out. It was probably just my swing on the day. At address they look pretty similar in size and shape to the MP32 but my 1st impression is that pure strikes feel much softer.

Can't wait to get out and play another round with them but it was pouring with rain today and unfortunately we have more heavy rain forecast for the next few days.

After picking up a used combo set of MP30/33s a couple of years ago I have mucked around with a few different sets including the Tourstage Z101s and the MP32s but I was always tempted to get a new set of the latest GFF offerings. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a set of discounted MP62s last year but hesitated and they sold out. Now I have the MP58s I think I will stop mucking around with multiple sets and just concentrate on playing the one set all the time. I think I'll sell the MP30/33s & MP32s but I'll definitely keep the Z101s as a spare set. They are a collectors item and too sweet to let go.

The MP58 is an attractive club. I'm not surprised about the high ball flight you described. That's what I've run into with every single Mizuno iron I've played...ballooning shots that quiver in the wind. That's why I play the Ping Eye 2s. Don't get me wrong, I think those are some pretty irons you bought but I'm afraid the performance won't match up. Lumpy almost won yesterday.

Well done Kiwi. A nice bit of hoing there. I have gone back to Mizuno myself lately although more of a shovel than your choice.
    Glad to see that you are finally coming around. Welcome to the fraternity.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    The MP58 is an attractive club. I'm not surprised about the high ball flight you described. That's what I've run into with every single Mizuno iron I've played...ballooning shots that quiver in the wind. That's why I play the Ping Eye 2s. Don't get me wrong, I think those are some pretty irons you bought but I'm afraid the performance won't match up. Lumpy almost won yesterday.
    Lumpy was looking real dumpy and that blackish shirt he was awearin' sure was frumpy but it was his flat stick what done let him down.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Lumpy was looking real dumpy and that blackish shirt he was awearin' sure was frumpy but it was his flat stick what done let him down.

Speaking of Lumpy and Dumpy and Frumpy, have you ever thought about Humpty Dumpty? I mean, are there other dumpty's out there or just one? They never really tell you where he's from or if there are other 'beings' that look just like him. I find that interesting.

Great looking set... Took 4 strokes away ?

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn

I like the look! But is 4 clubs enough? What shaft you get in them?
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

I'm officially jealous Kiwi. Of all the GFF out there these would be at the top of my wishlist. They lok great and setup beautifully behind the ball. Never hit one, but that's probably a good thing as it would only make me miserable unless I was buying them. Maybe if I can build up enough shop credit over the next 2 years or so I might have a shot at getting a set, but outside that I'll have to live my GFF dream vicariously through you and other lucky bastards on this board. God I wish I never let the Pro IIs go .
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn

I like the look! But is 4 clubs enough? What shaft you get in them? My z101s are keepers as well, in fact I may play them next summer. Something about the iomic grips I dont like, they feel to small. That will have to be rectified.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    I like the look! But is 4 clubs enough? What shaft you get in them? My z101s are keepers as well, in fact I may play them next summer. Something about the iomic grips I dont like, they feel to small. That will have to be rectified.
    They just have the S300 shaft in them. Because they were discounted a shaft upgrade wasn't an option. Not that I know any other shaft I would like but I'm curious about the KBS shaft everyone is raving about and having a Mizuno shaft optimisation fitting would be interesting. There is a fitting centre in Auckland and I was up there at the weekend and rang them on Sunday but wouldn't you know it - they do fittings every other day but Sunday.

I'm pretty happy with the S300 though, it's a shaft I've had in all my other irons and I like it and I'm familiar with it.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    Not yet but hopefully in time!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    Pky, you're the best.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    Pky, you're the best.
    Congrats on cracking 10k posts Zo. Are you second only to NAH as GR's greatest poster? Where did $600 wedge man finish up?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Congrats on cracking 10k posts Zo. Are you second only to NAH as GR's greatest poster? Where did $600 wedge man finish up?

Thanks, though I acknowledge the element of embarrassment that comes with it. But I enjoy my time here.

You can actually go to the members list and sort for post count. NAH is of course first, D-Man third and you fourth.

http://forums.golfreview.com/memberl...rt=posts&pp=50
    GR lives...

FD will be #1 in post count by the end of the year.
    Kiwi, KBS Tours are sh!tty. Be glad you've got the S300.
    Those look awfully similar to mine. I'm thinking I got ripped off since the dude never even showed me the MP-58's as an option.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    Thanks, though I acknowledge the element of embarrassment that comes with it. But I enjoy my time here.

You can actually go to the members list and sort for post count. NAH is of course first, D-Man third and you fourth.

http://forums.golfreview.com/memberl...rt=posts&pp=50
    That list is pretty cool:

NAH 1st
    Zo 2nd
    Daylight 3rd

D'Man 4th
    Yours truly 5th etc

What's cool about it is that most in the top 20 are still posting apart from BJ and Omen, both of whom pop in occasionally. LyleG is gone and FON seems to have become an endangered species i.e. rarely sighted. Agree that FD will be No.1 soon and I predict he will be the first to crack 20k in record time.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    FD will be #1 in post count by the end of the year.
    Kiwi, KBS Tours are sh!tty. Be glad you've got the S300.
    Those look awfully similar to mine. I'm thinking I got ripped off since the dude never even showed me the MP-58's as an option.
    If he had I doubt they would have been any cheaper. Last year this guy also discounted the MP62s when the new MP63 was coming out but was the only retailer I know who did. I inquired about discounting the MP62s with quite a few other retailers and they all had the same stock answer. "The MP62s aren't being superseded by the MP63, the MP63 is just a different model Mizuno are bringing out".

Yeah right!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thread Information