|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thanks, NAH . . . . .

For a couple of months leading into last week, my golf game had gone South again. I was scoring in the mid 80s with an occasional foray into the lower 80s, but no 70s. It was all in my short game as my driving has been great and my iron play has been very adequate.

There were some factors that caused me trouble with my short game: the weather here has turned windy where we have sustained winds in the 20 to 30 mph range at least 4 days a week, we have had several freezes that have stopped grass growth and our freaking club manager has the grass cut down to the nubbins going into Winter so they don't have to do anything, but sit and watch TV, so we have a lot of bare lies to hit the ball from, BUT, mostly, my putting has been so horrendous that I lost all confidence in making putts and hit the the ball "hoping" instead of "knowing" it would go in.

I was reading a post made by NAH in some thread where he said something like, "on a good balanced mallet putter all you should have to do is grip it soft and stroke it and it almost automatically aligns the putter into the ball through the hole." I went to play my usual 5 rounds of golf last week and started each round by warming up on the putting greens. After thinking about what NAH had posted, and using my Taylormade White Ghost mallet head putter, I discovered that I had been gripping the handle too hard which was causing me largely to pull the putts. I started gripping the handle as light as I could and stroking through the ball -- BINGO!! Putts started dropping in every round. My money bag that I use to pay out game debts, or collect my winnings, has been growing since last week and I had two rounds in the 70s.

Little changes sometimes make all the difference.

Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    For a couple of months leading into last week, my golf game had gone South again. I was scoring in the mid 80s with an occasional foray into the lower 80s, but no 70s. It was all in my short game as my driving has been great and my iron play has been very adequate.

There were some factors that caused me trouble with my short game: the weather here has turned windy where we have sustained winds in the 20 to 30 mph range at least 4 days a week, we have had several freezes that have stopped grass growth and our freaking club manager has the grass cut down to the nubbins going into Winter so they don't have to do anything, but sit and watch TV, so we have a lot of bare lies to hit the ball from, BUT, mostly, my putting has been so horrendous that I lost all confidence in making putts and hit the the ball "hoping" instead of "knowing" it would go in.

I was reading a post made by NAH in some thread where he said something like, "on a good balanced mallet putter all you should have to do is grip it soft and stroke it and it almost automatically aligns the putter into the ball through the hole." I went to play my usual 5 rounds of golf last week and started each round by warming up on the putting greens. After thinking about what NAH had posted, and using my Taylormade White Ghost mallet head putter, I discovered that I had been gripping the handle too hard which was causing me largely to pull the putts. I started gripping the handle as light as I could and stroking through the ball -- BINGO!! Putts started dropping in every round. My money bag that I use to pay out game debts, or collect my winnings, has been growing since last week and I had two rounds in the 70s.

Little changes sometimes make all the difference.

Good job Sooner. I tried a mallet putter this weekend with great results. PS: Please don't refer to the putter grip as "the handle". That's hacker talk.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Good job Sooner. I tried a mallet putter this weekend with great results. PS: Please don't refer to the putter grip as "the handle". That's hacker talk.
    Buy this putter... you will be very very happy
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Glad to be of assistance Sooner. I know I may sound like a naturally gifted genius, but I can assure everyone that it took thousands of lonely hours on the practice putting green to become the boss of the moss. I go left hand low and probably have straighter arms than you, but whenever you find your particular way to putt putting becomes easy. A good putting round for me is less than 30 putts and I very rarely miss anything remotely straight from inside 6 feet.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Something I have learned not long ago from one of the tour guys,cant remember his name,but he mentioned that he switched putters every week. "its just how it is"

Putting is very difficult if you DO "give a sh!t". And my putter has been hot the last 2-3 rounds,Whne it starts misbehaving i am getting a new putter,not discarding the old putter,but sometimes changing your tools does give a the extra confidence,and confidence is what its all about....
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "The statement below is true.
    The statement above is false"

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    He's getting ready to break out the Niblick
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Something I have learned not long ago from one of the tour guys,cant remember his name,but he mentioned that he switched putters every week. "its just how it is"

Putting is very difficult if you DO "give a sh!t". And my putter has been hot the last 2-3 rounds,Whne it starts misbehaving i am getting a new putter,not discarding the old putter,but sometimes changing your tools does give a the extra confidence,and confidence is what its all about....
    I go back and forth between my Taylormade White Ghost mallet putter and my Yes! Callie forged putter often.

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    He's getting ready to break out the Niblick
    I still have the Niblick, but I haven't been tempted to break it out since I locked it in the closet last February.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Please don't refer to the putter grip as "the handle". That's hacker talk.
    .... and your point is...?

Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Thread Information