|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

To my Australian Brethren

Oldplayer, NAH, Rooboy

Are you guys having a sh*t summer too?

The weather was pretty unsettled leading up to Xmas and we had a wetter/cooler spring than usual. Since Xmas it has mostly been sh*t, cloudy, overcast and raining with just the odd fine day here and there and it looks set to continue throughout January.

Very frustrating from a golfing perspective as I normally get out a lot at this time of year.

Just wondering whether it's just us or if you are getting similar shite conditions across the Tasman? Be interesting to hear given your separate geographic locations.

Kiwi
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Oldplayer, NAH, Rooboy

Are you guys having a sh*t summer too?

The weather was pretty unsettled leading up to Xmas and we had a wetter/cooler spring than usual. Since Xmas it has mostly been sh*t, cloudy, overcast and raining with just the odd fine day here and there and it looks set to continue throughout January.

Very frustrating from a golfing perspective as I normally get out a lot at this time of year.

Just wondering whether it's just us or if you are getting similar shite conditions across the Tasman? Be interesting to hear given your separate geographic locations.

Kiwi
    Hmmm, no responses. I think your Aussie mates are a little embarrassed by your admission to not playing when it's cloudy or wet. I guess a push cart is harder to handle when it's wet. You need to man up and get some Ping Eye 2s and a lightweight carry bag. Don't forget the Ping mittens.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Hmmm, no responses. I think your Aussie mates are a little embarrassed by your admission to not playing when it's cloudy or wet. I guess a push cart is harder to handle when it's wet. You need to man up and get some Ping Eye 2s and a lightweight carry bag. Don't forget the Ping mittens.
    I'm going to have to agree here, Kiwi. It's time to man up and drop those testicles down where they are suppose to hang. If you want to golf, you can get out and golf. Companies make all kinds of rain gear for wet weather. I play year round, including the Winter, and have all kinds of gear to meet the different environments that might be present in Oklahoma weather. I never have a shortage of mates that are ready to golf, either.

Yesterday, here in Oklahoma, it was 45 degrees for a high, winds were 20 mph out of the North, and it was cloudy with a bit of drizzle. Eight of us showed up to play a round of golf. Once you get out in it, you kind of get use to it. Sure beats sitting at home playing with yourself, or sitting in an office working.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    I'm going to have to agree here, Kiwi. It's time to man up and drop those testicles down where they are suppose to hang. If you want to golf, you can get out and golf. Companies make all kinds of rain gear for wet weather. I play year round, including the Winter, and have all kinds of gear to meet the different environments that might be present in Oklahoma weather. I never have a shortage of mates that are ready to golf, either.

Yesterday, here in Oklahoma, it was 45 degrees for a high, winds were 20 mph out of the North, and it was cloudy with a bit of drizzle. Eight of us showed up to play a round of golf. Once you get out in it, you kind of get use to it. Sure beats sitting at home playing with yourself, or sitting in an office working.
    What???

You agree that I should bag some Ping Eye 2's. Sooner really!!!

I never thought I'd see the day!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Don't listen to those Seppos Kiwi.
    Our summer has been ok so far. Not a lot of rain, only a few hot days but plenty of good golfing weather. The last couple of weeks has had a bit of everything. Some really nice spring like weather in the mid to high 20's. a couple of rainy days and one scorcher where is got to 42.C. with some 30+ daty either side of it.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Well the weather is sweet today so I'll be teeing it up at 5pm. It's light until about 9pm so no problem getting in a full 18. Saturday looking good too at this stage but shite for the rest of the week.

I'll just have to man up and find me some of those Ping mittens.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Well the weather is sweet today so I'll be teeing it up at 5pm. It's light until about 9pm so no problem getting in a full 18. Saturday looking good too at this stage but shite for the rest of the week.

I'll just have to man up and find me some of those Ping mittens.
    Wear a fleece hat to keep in the warmth. Most of your body heat is lost through your head. This would be true even if you weren't balding.

If you'd like any more pointers on getting around in cold weather, let me know.
    GR lives...

weather has been good in Tas kiwi, nice sunny days very little rain. i'm currently in sydney on holidays and the weather has been a mixture. a few overcast days,bit of rain but nothing that would stop a game of golf.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
    weather has been good in Tas kiwi, nice sunny days very little rain. i'm currently in sydney on holidays and the weather has been a mixture. a few overcast days,bit of rain but nothing that would stop a game of golf.
    You catching up with NAH for a game?
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Interesting. Tassie is the nearest to NZ geographically and I thought you might have been experiencing similar unsettled shite to us. The weekend hasn't been too bad and I've golfed Wed-Sun so can't really complain too much. The good news is the golf course is in great shape due to all the rain. Normally at this time of year the grass has burned off and the course is as dry as a bone.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Interesting. Tassie is the nearest to NZ geographically and I thought you might have been experiencing similar unsettled shite to us. The weekend hasn't been too bad and I've golfed Wed-Sun so can't really complain too much. The good news is the golf course is in great shape due to all the rain. Normally at this time of year the grass has burned off and the course is as dry as a bone.
    Shdney has had a ery mild summer. Low temps, bit of rain but mostly fine on weekends. The low temps.and consistent rain mean all courses in Sydney are as good as I can ever remember. Our course even looks like a golf course instead of a dust bowl.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Here is current weather in Newark DE - Sunday Jan 15. 2012

We've been lucky not having any snow (if you don't enjoy snow)... I am waiting for 50F to be out on the local range... I don't like indoor golf because I don't believe that the trajectory is TRUE
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    You catching up with NAH for a game?
    Really wanted to OP. Thought the extra luggage the wife bought with the airline ticket was for the clubs but no its all the extra shopping we have to take back!! way its going i might not be able to afford to play golf again. And apparently my holiday is all about kid time. I am playing Lost Farm in a fortnight though and staying at Barnbougle so hopefully i will get a hit there as well. Anyway since my last post its done nothing but rain here, i'm about 15k's off the end of the bridge so not sure how it is out in NAH territory, but a lot of people i've been talking to have said that summer in Sydney is not going to happen this year.
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Really wanted to OP. Thought the extra luggage the wife bought with the airline ticket was for the clubs but no its all the extra shopping we have to take back!! way its going i might not be able to afford to play golf again. And apparently my holiday is all about kid time. I am playing Lost Farm in a fortnight though and staying at Barnbougle so hopefully i will get a hit there as well. Anyway since my last post its done nothing but rain here, i'm about 15k's off the end of the bridge so not sure how it is out in NAH territory, but a lot of people i've been talking to have said that summer in Sydney is not going to happen this year.
    Most Kiwis are saying that about the whole of NZ too.

Now where the f#ck am I?

that's wonderful...

Quote Originally Posted by Boso View Post
    that's wonderful...
    Your posts distill meaning down to its essence with rare efficiency. Poetry but at the same time way beyond that.

Out of the pain of being teased relentlessly for having a name so close to that of a clown you've managed to summon amazing wisdom. I tip my cap to you Boso.
    GR lives...

I had 2 weeks off work starting early Jan, the first week we had a heat wave, temps between 37 - 40ºC. Got 3 rounds in that week but it was fn hot. The next week the temp dropped to 18ºC and we had light rain for the week, still got 3 rounds in, but not alot of fun in the rain. The weather here in Melbourne still surprises me at times and I have lived here all my life.

Kiwi
    I will be over in NZ early March in the Auckland area and am thinking about bringing my clubs over as I should have a couple of free days, any courses in that area that you would recommend playing?
    Last edited by Maggoo; 01-18-2012 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggoo View Post
    I had 2 weeks off work starting early Jan, the first week we had a heat wave, temps between 37 - 40DC. Got 3 rounds in that week but it was fn hot. The next week the temp dropped to 18DC and we had light rain for the week, still got 3 rounds in, but not alot of fun in the rain. The weather here in Melbourne still surprises me at times and I have lived here all my life.

Kiwi
    I will be over in NZ early March in the Auckland area and am thinking about bringing my clubs over as I should have a couple of free days, any courses in that area that you would recommend playing?
    G'day Maggoo.
    Welcome to the forum.
    I was reading your post and before i got to the last line I had already figured out that you lived in Melb.
    Just wanted to introduce myself as i live just up the road in Geelong.
    Where do you play?
    Maybe in due course we can get together for an officially sanctioned GR round.

Hi OP

As you know we have so many options with courses in Melbourne that I play all over the place.
    I have just recently got back into golf after about a 2 year layoff, got some new clubs and am ready to get serious about improving my game.
    I have played at just about every course in the Melbourne area. I am as you would say a course hoe.
    I am more than happy to meet up for a round of golf as I haven't played many courses in the Geelong area.
    I work shift work, 3 days on and 4 days off so I have some free time, but I will warn you I am a chopping hack that mainly shoots in the high 80's, but I hope to improve on this with some regular play and clubs that force me to learn.

Most Kiwis are saying that about the whole of NZ too.
    Back in Tas and 31*C Kiwi with no humidity. Maybe whats headed for NZ? Burn right through your noggin!
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Hi OP

As you know we have so many options with courses in Melbourne that I play all over the place.
    I have just recently got back into golf after about a 2 year layoff, got some new clubs and am ready to get serious about improving my game.
    I have played at just about every course in the Melbourne area. I am as you would say a course hoe.
    I am more than happy to meet up for a round of golf as I haven't played many courses in the Geelong area.
    I work shift work, 3 days on and 4 days off so I have some free time, but I will warn you I am a chopping hack that mainly shoots in the high 80's, but I hope to improve on this with some regular play and clubs that force me to learn.
    Sounds good. Pm me some contact details if you wish and we can look to organise a game in the not too distant future.

Will do. Got a busy couple of weeks coming up, but anytime after that should be good.

Will do. Got a busy couple of weeks coming up, but anytime after that should be good.
    No worries. No hurry.

I had 2 weeks off work starting early Jan, the first week we had a heat wave, temps between 37 - 40DC. Got 3 rounds in that week but it was fn hot. The next week the temp dropped to 18DC and we had light rain for the week, still got 3 rounds in, but not alot of fun in the rain. The weather here in Melbourne still surprises me at times and I have lived here all my life.

Kiwi
    Welcome to the forum Maggoo. Always good to have another SH voice on the board - even if it is with a funny Aussie twang.

Where will you be staying? There are lots of golf courses in Akld but none are very close to the city center so it depends exactly where you are staying and what sort of transport options you have available. The public transport in Auckland is shite compared to Melbourne so getting to the courses won't be easy unless you have a car.

Anyway let me know and I'll see if I can help out.

Cheers
    Kiwi

Now where the f#ck am I?

Back in Tas and 31*C Kiwi with no humidity. Maybe whats headed for NZ? Burn right through your noggin!
    It's actually been pretty decent since the weekend. Sat-Sun was Ok weather, though quite windy, blustery and unusually cool for this time of year. However Mon-Wed has been great though temperatures not even close to 31*. More like low to mid 20s at most.

Maybe we will get a summer after all.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thanks Kiwi,

I will actually be in Matacana, the inlaws moved out there a while back. They have a great views from their property and it is relaxing but can get boring, so I plan to hit some golf courses. Last time I visited I played at Omaha and enjoyed that course. I will have access to a car so can travel anywhere. How far is your home course from Matacana?

Thanks Kiwi,

I will actually be in Matacana, the inlaws moved out there a while back. They have a great views from their property and it is relaxing but can get boring, so I plan to hit some golf courses. Last time I visited I played at Omaha and enjoyed that course. I will have access to a car so can travel anywhere. How far is your home course from Matacana?
    I'm from Auckland but I'm living in Taupo these days which is about a 5 hour drive from Matakana. Matakana is quite a long way north of Auckland and I don' t really know many courses up that way. Gulf Harbour is the first course that springs to mind. It's a bit pricey but a top class resort style course.

http://www.gulfharbourcountryclub.co...omeFromCat=119

Other than that Omaha and any other local country courses are probably your best bet.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I'm from Auckland but I'm living in Taupo these days which is about a 5 hour drive from Matakana. Matakana is quite a long way north of Auckland and I don' t really know many courses up that way. Gulf Harbour is the first course that springs to mind. It's a bit pricey but a top class resort style course.

http://www.gulfharbourcountryclub.co...omeFromCat=119

Other than that Omaha and any other local country courses are probably your best bet.
    5 hours!!
    I didn't think Kiwiland was that big.

5 hours!!
    I didn't think Kiwiland was that big.
    Slow cars + winding roads make for long driving times over relatively short distances.

I'm about 3.5 hours south of Akld and Matakana is about 1.5 hours north.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Your not wrong about windy roads, I remember the last time I visited. You kiwi's got something against straight roads? Thanks for the info Kiwi, I will look into the gulf harbour you suggested. Perhaps if you are free early march we could meet half way, although it's still a decent drive. 1 week I could be having a hit with OP and the next week with you. Imagine that.

Your not wrong about windy roads, I remember the last time I visited. You kiwi's got something against straight roads? Thanks for the info Kiwi, I will look into the gulf harbour you suggested. Perhaps if you are free early march we could meet half way, although it's still a decent drive. 1 week I could be having a hit with OP and the next week with you. Imagine that.
    Something to do with the topography of the land my friend.

In the South Island there are some flat stretches where you get some pretty straight roads but there's not enough people to warrant building motorways or freeways down there so they are just two lane state highways.

Let me know the exact dates you are over. I'm in Auckland reasonably frequently and could meet you for a round at Gulf Harbour if I'm up that way on those dates?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Don't listen to those Seppos Kiwi.
    Our summer has been ok so far. Not a lot of rain, only a few hot days but plenty of good golfing weather. The last couple of weeks has had a bit of everything. Some really nice spring like weather in the mid to high 20's. a couple of rainy days and one scorcher where is got to 42.C. with some 30+ daty either side of it.
    This past summer in Dallas, we had a string of more than a week with highs above 43C... 110* F, 111, 112... an unbelievable week. And we had two months of above 100 with only one day at 99. In that two months everyone's pavement buckled, concrete slabs poking up at angles because the dirt beneath them was completely dehydrated... my drive is going to have to be repaved because of this. Dead trees all over town, even the biggest ones, dried up and burned. Glad that mess is over.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins View Post
    This past summer in Dallas, we had a string of more than a week with highs above 43C... 110* F, 111, 112... an unbelievable week. And we had two months of above 100 with only one day at 99. In that two months everyone's pavement buckled, concrete slabs poking up at angles because the dirt beneath them was completely dehydrated... my drive is going to have to be repaved because of this. Dead trees all over town, even the biggest ones, dried up and burned. Glad that mess is over.
    Me, too. I'm hoping we don't have a repeat performance. It has been a very mild Winter though and it causes me to be concerned about the impending Summer.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    Me, too. I'm hoping we don't have a repeat performance. It has been a very mild Winter though and it causes me to be concerned about the impending Summer.
    yeah, but... we had the heat of LAST summer coming off the winter of all winters... ice, snow, the deep freeze.. remember the super bowl here? We had three inches of ice with six inches of snow on top, and a full week in which the temp in Dallas never got higher than 25 degrees.

and that was four months before the heat wave started.

I don't think winter and summer have anything to do with each other.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

With concrete not able to survive the summer and ice sheets in the winter, I just assume anyone living in Dallas is in the witness protection program.

What did you do, Dave? Since you want me dead I think I can guess.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    With concrete not able to survive the summer and ice sheets in the winter, I just assume anyone living in Dallas is in the witness protection program.

What did you do, Dave? Since you want me dead I think I can guess.
    I always install drip irrigation underneath all of my concrete slabs. By doing so, the moisture levels in the soil remain fairly constant and my sidewalks, driveways and slab for my Ping library/museum never experience any shifting. I'm always thinking ahead.

Another thing you should do is snake drip irrigation around the perimeter of your home. One should always keep the area surrounding the home fairly moist. Same reason.

Thread Information