|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Does Lead Tape Help?

http://golf.about.com/od/faqs/f/leadtape.htm

If you are using it, let us hear your comments... Thanks guys/girls/AC-DC

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post

The article does a good job of explaining the effects. I've used it in the past to change my swing weight but my current set is good.

What specifically are you interested in?

I've used duct tape but not lead tape. Duct tape can be used to get rid of warts, patch a raft or to silence people; or so I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I've used duct tape but not lead tape. Duct tape can be used to get rid of warts, patch a raft or to silence people; or so I've read.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    The article does a good job of explaining the effects. I've used it in the past to change my swing weight but my current set is good.

What specifically are you interested in?
    just to help a "draw' trajectory with driver and 3W... BUT the article says NO WAY

just to help a "draw' trajectory with driver and 3W... BUT the article says NO WAY
    I don't think that the answer is "NO WAY" but it may take a whole bunch of lead tape to make a big difference in clubhead characteristics. However, some of us are more sensitive to slight weight changes and I think that it is worth the cost of a roll of high density lead tape ($8.00 +/-) to experiement to see if it can help you. I've read where one time Tiger Woods was dialing in his driver and Nike had a bunch of them made up for him in the shop. So Tiger came in and picked them all up and told the shop guy that he liked the feel of the "heavy one" and took that one out to the range. The shop guy said that the one Tiger selected weighed two grams more than the rest. Two grams is about one inch of high density 1/2" wide lead tape.

In my bag right now I have about two inches of lead tape on the heel side of the rear of my 907D2. It just feels more solid with that extra 4 grams that without it. And I have about one inch of tape on my 52* Vokey wedge halfway up the back of the clubhead right in back of the sweet spot. It just feels better with the tape.

I have read where some guys have drivers and fairway woods that keep hooking on them unintentionally and a couple of grams on the toe makes it go away.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I don't think that the answer is "NO WAY" but it may take a whole bunch of lead tape to make a big difference in clubhead characteristics. However, some of us are more sensitive to slight weight changes and I think that it is worth the cost of a roll of high density lead tape ($8.00 +/-) to experiement to see if it can help you. I've read where one time Tiger Woods was dialing in his driver and Nike had a bunch of them made up for him in the shop. So Tiger came in and picked them all up and told the shop guy that he liked the feel of the "heavy one" and took that one out to the range. The shop guy said that the one Tiger selected weighed two grams more than the rest. Two grams is about one inch of high density 1/2" wide lead tape.

In my bag right now I have about two inches of lead tape on the heel side of the rear of my 907D2. It just feels more solid with that extra 4 grams that without it. And I have about one inch of tape on my 52* Vokey wedge halfway up the back of the clubhead right in back of the sweet spot. It just feels better with the tape.

I have read where some guys have drivers and fairway woods that keep hooking on them unintentionally and a couple of grams on the toe makes it go away.
    The Tiger story is real except it was at a range. He was hitting balls with a few new model nike 3w's and told the Nike fitter he liked the heavier one. They thought the made them all the same. Upon inspection the one he picked was slightly heavier...

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    The Tiger story is real except it was at a range. He was hitting balls with a few new model nike 3w's and told the Nike fitter he liked the heavier one. They thought the made them all the same. Upon inspection the one he picked was slightly heavier...
    He once discovered that there was a pea lodged between the bottom two mattresses of his 7 mattress bed as well.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Mongrel, you probably know the answer to this question. I recently bought a Taylormade Tour Burner TP driver and there is a 2.5 inch piece of lead tape on the sole of the driver. If you were to draw a crosshair splitting the middle of the sole of the driver, the tape is located in the upper left quadrant toward the toe.

I have cut and pasted a photo of where I'm talking about (let me know if you can view it). What effect would the tape have on the performance of the driver? Would this cause you to draw the ball more?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mongrel, you probably know the answer to this question. I recently bought a Taylormade Tour Burner TP driver and there is a 2.5 inch piece of lead tape on the sole of the driver. If you were to draw a crosshair splitting the middle of the sole of the driver, the tape is located in the upper left quadrant toward the toe.

I have cut and pasted a photo of where I'm talking about (let me know if you can view it). What effect would the tape have on the performance of the driver? Would this cause you to draw the ball more?
    Any time you see a driver or fairway wood or hybrid with lead tape out towards the toe, you can be pretty sure that the club owner was trying to make the club hook less since more weight towards the toe should keep the face from closing a bit longer. Conversely, when you see weight on the heel side, it is a good indication that the owner is having problems turning the ball over with the club and is trying to help his release along. 2.5" of lead ain't gonna do much but if you're pretty sensitive to what you're swinging, it may help.

Any time you see a driver or fairway wood or hybrid with lead tape out towards the toe, you can be pretty sure that the club owner was trying to make the club hook less since more weight towards the toe should keep the face from closing a bit longer. Conversely, when you see weight on the heel side, it is a good indication that the owner is having problems turning the ball over with the club and is trying to help his release along. 2.5" of lead ain't gonna do much but if you're pretty sensitive to what you're swinging, it may help.
    Thanks. I think I'm going to remove it because I've heard that you actually need to use a good amount of lead tape to alter the flight of the ball. No reason to have it on there.

I have to quit going to Golf Galaxy. They had a set of Ping i15 irons there, 4-PW and a Ping i15 hybrid for $275 and then they had a set of Cobra S2 Forged irons, 3-Gap, 9 irons total that are near new for $295. Their prices are unbelievable. I went into the simulator with both the Ping i15 and s2 Forged 7 irons. The S2 forged 7 iron was going 165 and the Ping i15 was 147. I hated the feel of the i15. I was so tempted but managed to walk out of there.

Thanks. I think I'm going to remove it because I've heard that you actually need to use a good amount of lead tape to alter the flight of the ball. No reason to have it on there.

I have to quit going to Golf Galaxy. They had a set of Ping i15 irons there, 4-PW and a Ping i15 hybrid for $275 and then they had a set of Cobra S2 Forged irons, 3-Gap, 9 irons total that are near new for $295. Their prices are unbelievable. I went into the simulator with both the Ping i15 and s2 Forged 7 irons. The S2 forged 7 iron was going 165 and the Ping i15 was 147. I hated the feel of the i15. I was so tempted but managed to walk out of there.
    The simulator with the TV's, the free one, at my Golf Galaxy, is about as useless at t*ts on a boy. The mats are all ripped up and the tee holes have sunk in so that if you want to hit a driver off a high tee and you stick in their longest rubber tee, its like hitting it off a 1.75" tee off turf. I've hit lots of irons in their including some that I bought. I remember hitting an MP 14 7 iron in there and the max it read after about 20 good swings was 140 yards carry. Right after I bought the set of Mizunos, I stopped at one of my practice fields ont he way home and hit about 10 7 irons from one of my usual spots to a target I'm familiar with and have calculated distance from using satellite service on the internet. My shortest was about 140 on a chunky hit and the longest was about 170 with five of the balls all nice and tight around 155-158. And that was into a 10 mph wind. So f*ck the GG simulator.

You can try using the stimulator at Dick's sporting goods as they and GG are the same company. Much less wear and tear at my Dick's than the local GG.
    Now my local Golfsmith is wonderful. They keep the machine/computer calibrated regularly and replace the mats as they start to look worn.

Mongrel...it's not 't*ts on a boy', but screendoors on a submarine.
    Dad, I was swimming in a rainbow with millions of babies... and they was naked... and then all of a sudden I turned into a perfect smile!

Quote Originally Posted by jmtbkr View Post
    You can try using the stimulator at Dick's sporting goods as they and GG are the same company. Much less wear and tear at my Dick's than the local GG.
    Now my local Golfsmith is wonderful. They keep the machine/computer calibrated regularly and replace the mats as they start to look worn.
    My local Dick's is a total piece of trash. Usually only one old guy in there on weekends with a bad attitude. Plus all their clubs worth hitting have the plastic anti-theft pods on them and I wouldn't want to inconvenience the old fart to take one off. Plus I really have no desire to hit any club that's new except for wedges and putters.

Now the really great news is that Golfsmith is opening a new store about 10 miles from me in a couple of weeks. I am hoping that it will be cool and have a selection of used sticks and better simulators than Golf Galaxy. Hopefully, they will have a grand opening promo with free stuff. I am one cheap bastard.

My local Dick's is a total piece of trash. Usually only one old guy in there on weekends with a bad attitude. Plus all their clubs worth hitting have the plastic anti-theft pods on them and I wouldn't want to inconvenience the old fart to take one off. Plus I really have no desire to hit any club that's new except for wedges and putters.

Now the really great news is that Golfsmith is opening a new store about 10 miles from me in a couple of weeks. I am hoping that it will be cool and have a selection of used sticks and better simulators than Golf Galaxy. Hopefully, they will have a grand opening promo with free stuff. I am one cheap bastard.
    Golfsmith is the worst. They hire people who know nothing about golf and their prices on used equipment is double or triple what you find at Golf Galaxy.

It was funny but the VP of Operations was at Golf Galaxy last night and I must have been approaced 10 times by a different salesman asking if I needed help. All the employees were dressed perfectly and on their best behavior.

On normal days, you walk in there and maybe someone will ask if you need help. Usually there's some guy in club repair on the internet and the rest of the employees are jabbering amongst themselves. That's why it is important for Operations to never tell the store manager when they're coming. Otherwise the top management people get a dog and pony show.

Lead tape is one way to use a clubhead from an originally steel shafted wedge (Cleveland 691 58-0?) and put a graphite shaft on it without making the swingweight too light.

To go with such a move, however, you would really have to love the clubhead. And if you want a permanent solution, a drill and tungsten plugs would be the way to go.

Golfsmith is the worst. They hire people who know nothing about golf and their prices on used equipment is double or triple what you find at Golf Galaxy.

It was funny but the VP of Operations was at Golf Galaxy last night and I must have been approaced 10 times by a different salesman asking if I needed help. All the employees were dressed perfectly and on their best behavior.

On normal days, you walk in there and maybe someone will ask if you need help. Usually there's some guy in club repair on the internet and the rest of the employees are jabbering amongst themselves. That's why it is important for Operations to never tell the store manager when they're coming. Otherwise the top management people get a dog and pony show.
    Yes, I sort of got that about Golfsmith from their used club website. Everything is like three times as much as 3balls. If you are going to sell me a golf club online, you'd better list the length of the club, the shaft model and the flex. "Standard" for length doesn't give me enough confidence to place the order. "43 inches" does. I just hope that Golfsmith has free stuff, especially balls, at its grand opening. I really groove on free golfballs. I still have my dozen Rocketballz from Golf Galaxy's intro bash weeks ago. So far they are great practice balls. They feel a bit harsh on the green, though, like many other balls. The best feeling balls about and on the green are stil Srixon AD333's for me.

Thread Information