|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

explain to me about compression raings of balls

So I played with myself yesterday and decided to drop a few different balls on the tees and fairways to see if I could tell the difference.

I used:
    Noodle long and Soft
    Titty NXT
    Titty ProV1x
    in order of compression ratings.

I hit all three about the same distance off the tee. Same on the fairways.

As for subjective feel, I liked the V1x the best. It just felt 'solid' off the driver. The NXT felt best off my irons and wedges.
    I've been using the Noodle alot lately because I've been told that it matches up best for my slower swing speed - about 85mph.
    The v1x was like hitting a new baseball versus hitting one of those beat up used balls hit a million times at the batting range. You know, "clack" vs "smoosh".

So does this whole talk about compression really matter to most amatuers? Or should you just hit what feels best to you?
    Dad, I was swimming in a rainbow with millions of babies... and they was naked... and then all of a sudden I turned into a perfect smile!

Quote Originally Posted by jmtbkr View Post
    So I played with myself yesterday

hit what feels best to you?
    If you played with yourself then how do we know what feels best to you?

So I played with myself yesterday and decided to drop a few different balls on the tees and fairways to see if I could tell the difference.

I used:
    Noodle long and Soft
    Titty NXT
    Titty ProV1x

As for subjective feel, I liked the V1x the best. It just felt 'solid' off the driver. The NXT felt best off my irons and wedges.
    I've been using the Noodle alot lately because I've been told that it matches up best for my slower swing speed - about 85mph.
    The v1x was like hitting a new baseball versus hitting one of those beat up used balls hit a million times at the batting range. You know, "clack" vs "smoosh".

So does this whole talk about compression really matter to most amatuers? Or should you just hit what feels best to you?
    I've played the Maxfli Noodle and I think it's a good ball. If you have a slower swing speed then I believe you should simply do what you've been doing and use trial and error as a way to pick the best ball for you. I've hit the Noodle and I'm pretty sure it went just as far as anything else.

However, around the green nothing feels better to me or has as good control as the Titleist Pro V1 (not the * version). I can tell instantly when I am chipping or putting with a Pro V1.

Think about how many times per round you are chipping or pitching the ball. That tells you how you should go about choosing a ball.

In anticipation of the Top Flite Gamer V2 supply drying up now that Callaway has abandoned the old Spalding line, I tried some Maxfli U3s in my round yesterday.

Seemed ok. No problems. Maybe it's because I go all graphite all the time, but I just don't feel the difference in golf balls as much as some people talk about.

Although, back when I played steel, I played the original Spalding "Rock Flites" and thought that they were fine, too. I could even spin them with my short irons and wedges, no problem. I was way ahead of the curve in abandoning wound golf balls. To me, even the primitve, early non-wound models made it easier to club myself. And now the balata-covered windings--actually all windings-- are completely extinct at all levels of play.

I've played all kinds of golf balls, new ones from vendors (most of them Cally) and lost-n-found balls, unless balls got beat up so badly I can't tell the difference, I can't spin a ball around greens, so what a difference does it make, they are all 10+/- yards via my driver... Maybe I would score better if I got fitted for a better ball, yeah right !!!

Just find the ball that works best for you with a driver. Less spin w/ the driver = straighter shots. Better chance at scoring. Driver is the hardest club to hit (so they say) so find the ball that goes the straightest off the T.

If that ball feels good to you on and around the green then you're golden.

Nike One Tour D for me.
    G luck.

I'll get jazzed about a different ball after reading some reviews and score a dozen. Then I'll practice short game with them and then go hit some in one of my fields off irons, 3 wood and drivers. So the new balls seem like the best things since packages with the bread already sliced. Then I go play and the new freaking balls go left into hazards, move just before impact so that I shank an 8 iron, wobble a bit right before I strike one with 3 wood and cold-top it, roll 20 feet past my birdie approach putt for a 3-putt bogey and cling to the face of my gap wedge when I strike the 30 foot chip from just off the green leaving me a putt of 27.5 feet. After the round I get pissed at the new balls and all that remain go into my shag bag and will be eventually lost in the high grass.

And then the process repeats itself.

And the upshot is that this weekend I'm taking my irons to get the lofts measured and adjusted since I'm sure they are all way too upright and hopefully thereafter I will be able, on every swing, to show whatever ball is on the ground in front of me who is de boss.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

I have used a Rory Sab-style knock-down lob wedge chip for awhile, and with the CG12 zip grooves I can actually knock it right up by the hole and zip it to a stop sometimes. So I gotta have a ball that will spin at low club head speed around the green. That said, I am not too picky about brand. Anything premium will get it done for me. Whatever is on sale. I always liked the old z-urc Srixon ball, but it was the only premium I ever knew to actually go a few yards shorter off the tee. Everything else is competitive.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn

I used:
    Noodle long and Soft
    Titty NXT
    Titty ProV1x

I like the low compression off the irons, especially in the cooler part, but as it warms up they spin to much off the driver, and then the prov1x goes straighter, and feels great off the irons.
    Most people like me hit between 80-95mph with an iron. On a good day 100-110 off the driver. That's a jump. Irons to me just jump off the face with a 70 compression ball, and higher compression like the prov1 feels better most of the time off driver.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

I used:
    Noodle long and Soft
    Titty NXT
    Titty ProV1x

If you have a slow swing speed you wont feel the difference in lenght.only from your short/long irons and maybe notice the difference in chipping.

I myself have started experimenting with the variations of the different compression ratios.

Below my findings on the golf balls:
    NOTEI have a driver swing speed of +-120mph,6 iron swing speed of +-106mph,with my irons i hit down on the ball,playing mp33 MB blades:

Noodle long & soft- compression:+-65(waste of my time)
    Better then a drive range ballJust just

Titty NXT- compression:+-82(waste of my time)
    Better then a drive range ball.Nice ball to practise with tough.

Titleist NXT Tour- compression:+-92(intermediate cover,not easily damaged)
    Bought a box of these balls.Found they spin a **** load.the covers did last 9 holes before scratches where noticable damaging the performance.I lost about 8% distance on my irons with this ball.Of the clubface the ball felt like it was holding onto my driver a long time(compressing),ball flied nice and high and felt very soft on iron shots.Distances was consisten even when ball showed some scuffing.

Titleist ProV1- compression:+-95(softer cover,easy damaged)
    No ball that damages this easy should cost that much.Yes the performance is good,but on the 3rd tee box my ball is so damaged after just 2 short iron shots,it actually funny.i can understand why Pro's use the ProV1 but have to complete the round with 6 balls.Really the biggest waste of golball except for the rich.Of the driver the ball is very long and feels nice not hugging the clubface to long.Distances get inconsistent after 3 holes with the same balls.

Titty ProV1x- compression:+-105(softer cover,easy damaged)
    Very hard ball,especially noticable when you dont hit your irons sweetspot everytime.Spin around the green wasnt that much noticable compared to the other lower compression balls...Driver was also alright,with the ball being so hard it just feels like its bouncing of the face.This ball also feautures a soft cover,so it does get some scuffing,but not being able to compres the ball on every shot will last longer then the ProV1

Bridgestone e7- compression:+-105(very hard cover,not easy to damage)
    I have use one of these balls as my FUk around ball on course when I play badly,and it has lasted me about +-36 holes.Very very hard ball to hit,does not feel good of the clubface.I wont receommend this ball to anyone.except if you want an everlasting ball

Bridgestone B330- compression:+-105(softer cover,easy damaged)
    This ball feels 100% like the ProV1,also 3holes and it was finished.Distances stayed consistent though.

Nike One tour D- compression:+-100(softer cover,easy damaged)
    Felt noticable harder then the ProV1. I would say exactly like the ProV1x,but with a more durable cover.

Nike 20XI-X Distance- compression:+-115(very hard cover,not easy to damage)
    I am very very very very impressed by this ball.Played it this weekend in strong winds,and shot on the handicap.Still played bad. This ball is very hard,but feels quick of the clubface,softer on the mishits then the above hard balls.this ball can also spin nicely on the Wedges,and spins about the same as the Callaway HX Diablo Tour,This ball was going further then any ball I have every hit,Altough my confidence wasnt all there around the green with the short chip shots.I hit this ball 385yards on a 462yard par5 this weekend with the wind blowing about 20mph from behind,WITH A FADE

Srixon Z Star X- compression:+-105(intermediate cover,not easily damaged)
    Nice good average ball.Does not get alot of spin,but stays consistent even after 9 holes.Nice around the green with the lower compression,This ball also goes about average on my driver. This is a great ball for anyone. The cover also lasts a little longer then a Prov1x

Callaway Diablo HX- compression:+-71(intermediate cover,not easily damaged)
    When I started again 6 months ago,without my body being used to stretching this ball felt great of the club face,It spins more then a ProV1,Distance almost the same as 75-90% swings. Pitch shots are greet.Distance wise I am losing because of my high swing speed,But this ball you could easily get spinning on a full PW no winf flat intermeidate soft greens about 6-7 meters back.The cover was excellent and last 18 Holes easily.This is the ball every High handicapper with a driver swing speed below 105mph should be playing.I still praise this ball and have about 10 of them lying around new.Will be keeping them for the cold raining days when the swing isnt that fast.

Callaway Diablo HX Tour- compression:+-112(intermediate cover,not easily damaged)
    My current favourite ball to play.The cover can last for 18 hole and the distance is consistent for each swing.The ball can spin easily on the green,and with a full PW in no wind on intermediate flat soft greens I can get about 4meters of backspin.mishits are very forgiving.also I have not experience any fliers with this ball yet.I am just sad not too see this ball on the racks anymore.

My next ball i will be playing (as soon as the price falls) will be the 20XI Distance. That thing rockets of the club face,stays low.and distance are very consistent.I also get spin with it,and it would increase my shots around the greens with the more bump and runs.

Well that there is my full 2cents of information.use its or lose it.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "The statement below is true.
    The statement above is false"

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Just find the ball that works best for you with a driver. Less spin w/ the driver = straighter shots. Better chance at scoring. Driver is the hardest club to hit (so they say) so find the ball that goes the straightest off the T.

If that ball feels good to you on and around the green then you're golden.

Nike One Tour D for me.
    G luck.
    Absolutely correct. I really like the cally i(s) around the greens and off the putter but I have conceeded that the i(z) is straighter off the driver which results in better scores. The z feels a little harsher in the short game but performs nearly as well but the z is noticably better off the driver. I swapped all my s for z.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    Absolutely correct. I really like the cally i(s) around the greens and off the putter but I have conceeded that the i(z) is straighter off the driver which results in better scores. The z feels a little harsher in the short game but performs nearly as well but the z is noticably better off the driver. I swapped all my s for z.
    IMO, gotta get off the T box to have a punchers chance. The Nike One Tour was actually a better ball for me around the green (loved the way it checked on pitches), but it spun way too much with the driver (its me not the ball) compared to the tour d. The d, like the cally z, feels a tad harsher around the green, but the tradeoff is the straighter T shots. I will take that all day and twice on Sunday.

I know they say the 3 most important clubs are the driver, putter, and wedge...but there a differing theories on which is most important of those 3. Ive found if I get off the T in reasonable shape, at least I have a chance. If I go OB off the T, the hole is a waste....so, for me, the driver (or getting off the T) is paramount for me.

I am still not comfortable with anyone rating the compression of my balls.
    ... a tree branch, or my foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    IMO, gotta get off the T box to have a punchers chance. The Nike One Tour was actually a better ball for me around the green (loved the way it checked on pitches), but it spun way too much with the driver (its me not the ball) compared to the tour d. The d, like the cally z, feels a tad harsher around the green, but the tradeoff is the straighter T shots. I will take that all day and twice on Sunday.

I know they say the 3 most important clubs are the driver, putter, and wedge...but there a differing theories on which is most important of those 3. Ive found if I get off the T in reasonable shape, at least I have a chance. If I go OB off the T, the hole is a waste....so, for me, the driver (or getting off the T) is paramount for me.
    Driver is number one for me. Good driving day means Im looking at birdies and even if I make nothing lots of pars. Bad driving day means long putts for par or bogie and big numbers even if I putt well. Im sticking with the best ball off the driver theory. The z is still pretty decent around the greens so Im not giving up that much to have more drives in the short grass.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    Driver is number one for me. Good driving day means Im looking at birdies and even if I make nothing lots of pars. Bad driving day means long putts for par or bogie and big numbers even if I putt well. Im sticking with the best ball off the driver theory. The z is still pretty decent around the greens so Im not giving up that much to have more drives in the short grass.
    Driver, putter, wedge for me in that order. If I can get off the T and putt 1/2 way decent, then odds are my round was a success. On my 79, I drove the ball really well and putted pretty well. No 3 putts, lots of tap-ins, and I made a couple 5 or 6 footers to save par.

As a man currently in his 20th year of marriage to a genuinely obsessive-compulsive woman, I can honestly say that ball compression, usually sudden and forceful, is a big part of my life on and off the course. My balls spin far more than I would ever have dreamed, and much more than God intended. The crushing of a nice premium ball off the tee is for me a sort of pushback. You're not the only one who can compress my balls, darling, see?

Shoot me now. Wait. Shoot me on the 18th green. ;-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

IMO... most of articles I included in here don't know how to address ball compression in terms of polymer science standpoint...My guess is that they don't know or lack of knowledge in this field ... so read everything on internet with a grain of salt.
    ===========================================

Should I play a golf ball with a lower compression if I don't compress it like a high swing speed player?

There is a common misconception that a player must match the compression of the golf ball to his or her swing speed in order to properly “compress” the ball. Every golfer compresses the golf ball on every full swing shots. In fact, the differences in the amount of compression across driver swing speeds are virtually indistinguishable as depicted in these photos taken from a high speed camera at impact.

Importance Of Compression Ratings

Golf ball manufacturers no longer sell their product on the basis of compression factors. Most of them feature the enjoyment of hitting the ball longer, and most tend to remain silent with regard to a player's ability to improve control. Some manufacturers make golf balls having as low as 40 compression to appeal to players who only want to hit the ball a long way.

Read More: Comparison of Golf Ball Compression | GolfLink.com http://www.golflink.com/list_1277_co...#ixzz1uBxJUaqz

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/434...ression-chart/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ballfitting_compression.jpg 
Views:	589 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	2845  

Thread Information