|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Building Consistency

I recently changed from using my 22 yr old Ping eye 2's, to hitting the Ping S56 w/KBS Tour stiffs. It's quite a significant change.

The first thing I noticed is just how sloppy my iron swings have been. These new, smaller heads really let me know when I'm not striking the ball in the sweet spot. Due to this, I've been hitting the range a lot, trying to focus on things that I no I need to do, but haven't *had* to do because my old shovels would allow me to get away with lesser quality swings. I see this as a way to improve my game overall.

One of the things I'm really trying to do is ingrain more consistency in my iron swings. I feel like i'm getting there (through repetition) but find that from day to day I struggle with different things. Yesterday it was swing plane (I tend to get the club a little to far behind me, resulting in some hooks), today it was dipping (after a couple of skulls, I started bending my knees a bit further on the downswing... and began digging craters and hitting pushes).

Now, these kind of issues are generally just what we call golf. However, I'd love to hear what some others focus on in trying to hit the ball with a very consistent stroke. What are your swing thoughts? Do you do certain things when practicing to create uniformity?

And no, Laurie, I'm not coming over the top, nor do I have the same issues that you have with your swing. Please put away your rubber stamp response about lessons from a professional, etc.
    Index: 10.4

Current Sticks
    Driver - Taylor R7 425 9.5* w/ Fuji Fit-on E 370
    Titleist 904F 15* w/Graphite Design YS-6 Stiff
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Hogan 53* 09 GW (gets sand use only now)
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

Quote Originally Posted by wofat View Post
    I recently changed from using my 22 yr old Ping eye 2's, to hitting the Ping S56 w/KBS Tour stiffs. It's quite a significant change.

The first thing I noticed is just how sloppy my iron swings have been. These new, smaller heads really let me know when I'm not striking the ball in the sweet spot. Due to this, I've been hitting the range a lot, trying to focus on things that I no I need to do, but haven't *had* to do because my old shovels would allow me to get away with lesser quality swings. I see this as a way to improve my game overall.

One of the things I'm really trying to do is ingrain more consistency in my iron swings. I feel like i'm getting there (through repetition) but find that from day to day I struggle with different things. Yesterday it was swing plane (I tend to get the club a little to far behind me, resulting in some hooks), today it was dipping (after a couple of skulls, I started bending my knees a bit further on the downswing... and began digging craters and hitting pushes).

Now, these kind of issues are generally just what we call golf. However, I'd love to hear what some others focus on in trying to hit the ball with a very consistent stroke. What are your swing thoughts? Do you do certain things when practicing to create uniformity?

And no, Laurie, I'm not coming over the top, nor do I have the same issues that you have with your swing. Please put away your rubber stamp response about lessons from a professional, etc.
    Let me translate the above post:

Subject golfer trades in his Ping Eye 2s for new "modern" golf clubs.

Subject golfer immediately notices that he's not hitting the sweet spot and his shots feel worse than before.

Subject golfer finds it necessary to spend more time at the range as a result of buying new clubs.

This is not logical.

Stay in your spine angle from address to finish. Thats been my focus.

g luck.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Let me translate the above post:

Subject golfer trades in his Ping Eye 2s for new "modern" golf clubs.

Subject golfer immediately notices that he's not hitting the sweet spot and his shots feel worse than before.

Subject golfer finds it necessary to spend more time at the range as a result of buying new clubs.

This is not logical.
    I'm not CRAZY FD, I still have the Eye 2's.

Current Sticks
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

You have just proven the point I have been preaching for several years -- player's clubs will show us the errors in our swing and help us to become better golfers.

Enjoy your journey into better golf.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

I strongly suspect that no GR "contributor" has a golf swing worth practicing, worth bringing to consistency, or worth preserving on video.

I'd play with what's fun for me.

I'm going to spring for those Spin Doctors. They won't do a thing to help my game, but man, they're a hoot.

I'm getting the 52 and the 60. I don't have room for a 56 as I'll be replacing a 53 and a 58.

I doubt if I can bend them because then the fresh insert replacement might not fit if the space is distorted by the bending. Same reason I can't flatten them, so I'll get them a tiny bit short.

Nice try but Laurie won't read this far. You needed to make this statement at the beginning of your post.

I wish I could help but I'm having my own issues with consistency right now. With irons I just tell myself to keep my head still (or at least stay behind the ball as I have a bad habit of dipping forward into the shot) and to swing smoothly. My iron play is Ok. It's problems off the tee that are killing my game at the moment. I'm having lessons but so far that has just lead to more uncertainty and inconsistency as I get confused between the changes I'm trying to make and my old bad habits. It's a WIP and part of the challenge of this game.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    You have just proven the point I have been preaching for several years -- player's clubs will show us the errors in our swing and help us to become better golfers.

Sooner, this is exactly my belief. While I love my Eye 2's, I haven't been improving with them. I WANT the feedback... I want to know when I'm not hitting the ball square and sweet.

Current Sticks
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

The fact remains that none of us will ever swing like Fred Couples and hit the ball solid 99.5% of the time. Therefore, I don't know what good it does any of us to experience a significant penalty in the form of a bad shot or sting to the hands every time we misshit the ball. Let's face it, we are going to do that the majority of the time. That being the case, we should play more forgiving clubs. I choose the Ping Eye 2.

Sooner, this is exactly my belief. While I love my Eye 2's, I haven't been improving with them. I WANT the feedback... I want to know when I'm not hitting the ball square and sweet.
    Keep hitting the S56s until your hitting them good and with more consistency, then go back to your Ping Eye 2s.

I mainly play my JPX800s now, but I still get my MP-67s and MP-33s out and play them a round or two to hone my swing back in where it needs to be. You'll have the same opportunity now that you have two completely different sets of irons.

Keep hitting the S56s until your hitting them good and with more consistency, then go back to your Ping Eye 2s.

I mainly play my JPX800s now, but I still get my MP-67s and MP-33s out and play them a round or two to hone my swing back in where it needs to be. You'll have the same opportunity now that you have two completely different sets of irons.
    I saw a set of mint condition Mizuno MP-32 irons with DG S300 shafts today for $179. I can't believe what some of these irons go for now.

Would you consider the JPX 800s (not pro) players clubs? I've got my eye on them ever since you mentioned them in a thread a few weeks ago.
    I keeps it real.

Quote Originally Posted by buddha33 View Post
    Would you consider the JPX 800s (not pro) players clubs? I've got my eye on them ever since you mentioned them in a thread a few weeks ago.
    No, they are not player's clubs, they are not even GFF, but they are the finest looking and easiest playing set of game improvement irons I have ever come across. If it were not for the ugly, thick, top line, they would be perfect.

No, they are not player's clubs, they are not even GFF, but they are the finest looking and easiest playing set of game improvement irons I have ever come across. If it were not for the ugly, thick, top line, they would be perfect.
    IMO, they are perfect for the 70's & low 80's shooter who wants additional forgiveness and extra distance out of an iron that has little offset and is appealing to the eye. So many of the GI irons out there are ugly because of the huge amount of offset. I think the JPX 800 is a huge leap from the MX line of clubs. The MX irons had too much offset and looked like shovels.

I hope you can benefit from my lesson Tuesday from what most consider the best teacher in San Diego. I learned the very good news that it is NOT necessary to turn so far that it is uncomfortable or risks loss of your spine angle, forces you to raise up, lose your balance, etc. So make a smooth and relaxed turn and stop turning when you feel tightness. It is also OK to allow both elbows to bend in order to allow the club to flatten over your back as you set your wrists. Your elbows will straighten on the downswing and gravity will help you will bring the clubhead precisely back to the ball.

Setup with significant weight on your front HEEL which requires a little squat. Hold that weight there as you backswing and then shift ALL your weight there during your downswing. You will be able to strike the ball clean and make a divot in front of it-- the release actually happens almost a foot in front of the ball position. The "TILT" of upper body this early weight shift creates will put the club right on plane on the downswing. You won't need to think about that. You will automatically swing from in to out.

For more clubhead speed, let the club fall of its own weight and then DRAG the butt of the club toward the target as you roll your forearms to close the clubhead through impact and make the late release. Momentum will carry your arms and club around and over your front shoulder for a classic finish. DO NOT PUSH on the club handle with your dominant hand, that is casting. Most golf books say the club is controlled MOSTLY in the last three fingers of the upper hand-- the dominant hand only "along for the ride." Generating max clubhead speed at impact requires us to avoid casting. There are photos of great golfers after impact with visible air between their right hand fingers and the club handle.

To teach yourself what generates clubhead speed and the late release, I suggest a few experimental swings with no ball, listening for where the "swish" of max clubhead speed occurs. It should occur at or after the ball position. You can move it forward by waiting to apply that DRAG as late as possible.

Regarding consistency, once you keep that front heel down and avoid casting, you will be able to hit your 6i to a green-size target TEN TIMES IN A ROW. After all, that kind if ability to repeat the swing is what this entire thing is about, at least for me. I track fairways and greens in regulation, knowing total score is not really a good measure of a golfer's technical ability. I really don't respect good scores of those who are just good scramblers. They always blow up when they travel to a difficult course.

Good luck!

Larry
    Last edited by Larryrsf; 05-03-2012 at 03:13 PM.

The fact remains that none of us will ever swing like Fred Couples and hit the ball solid 99.5% of the time. Therefore, I don't know what good it does any of us to experience a significant penalty in the form of a bad shot or sting to the hands every time we misshit the ball. Let's face it, we are going to do that the majority of the time. That being the case, we should play more forgiving clubs. I choose the Ping Eye 2.
    And Hale Irwin won the most money in a single season EVER on the Champion's Tour playing OS Cavity back shovels.

Larry

IMO, they are perfect for the 70's & low 80's shooter who wants additional forgiveness and extra distance out of an iron that has little offset and is appealing to the eye. So many of the GI irons out there are ugly because of the huge amount of offset. I think the JPX 800 is a huge leap from the MX line of clubs. The MX irons had too much offset and looked like shovels.
    I've got my bids in for JPX 800 and TM CGB Max 3 demo 6 irons. There's about to be a showdown between them and my current X-18s very soon.
    I keeps it real.

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf View Post
    I hope you can benefit from my lesson Tuesday from what most consider the best teacher in San Diego. I learned the very good news that it is NOT necessary to turn so far that it is uncomfortable or risks loss of your spine angle, forces you to raise up, lose your balance, etc. So make a smooth and relaxed turn and stop turning when you feel tightness. It is also OK to allow both elbows to bend in order to allow the club to flatten over your back as you set your wrists. Your elbows will straighten on the downswing and gravity will help you will bring the clubhead precisely back to the ball.

Setup with significant weight on your front HEEL which requires a little squat. Hold that weight there as you backswing and then shift ALL your weight there during your downswing. You will be able to strike the ball clean and make a divot in front of it-- the release actually happens almost a foot in front of the ball position. The "TILT" of upper body this early weight shift creates will put the club right on plane on the downswing. You won't need to think about that. You will automatically swing from in to out.

For more clubhead speed, let the club fall of its own weight and then DRAG the butt of the club toward the target as you roll your forearms to close the clubhead through impact and make the late release. Momentum will carry your arms and club around and over your front shoulder for a classic finish. DO NOT PUSH on the club handle with your dominant hand, that is casting. Most golf books say the club is controlled MOSTLY in the last three fingers of the upper hand-- the dominant hand only "along for the ride." Generating max clubhead speed at impact requires us to avoid casting. There are photos of great golfers after impact with visible air between their right hand fingers and the club handle.

To teach yourself what generates clubhead speed and the late release, I suggest a few experimental swings with no ball, listening for where the "swish" of max clubhead speed occurs. It should occur at or after the ball position. You can move it forward by waiting to apply that DRAG as late as possible.

Regarding consistency, once you keep that front heel down and avoid casting, you will be able to hit your 6i to a green-size target TEN TIMES IN A ROW. After all, that kind if ability to repeat the swing is what this entire thing is about, at least for me. I track fairways and greens in regulation, knowing total score is not really a good measure of a golfer's technical ability. I really don't respect good scores of those who are just good scramblers. They always blow up when they travel to a difficult course.

Good luck!

Larry
    :thispostisuselesswithoutyoutubeclipofoldguywithba dswingmechanics:
    I keeps it real.

:allofhispostsareuseless:
    fixed it for you.
    GR lives...

The Mizuno MX 20 irons in my bag have very large heads and cavity backs with little T-Zoid trapezoid turbo weights behind the sweet spots which must be almost two inches wide. Not much offset, but lots of grain flow forged metal to forgive me with. Except the last few rounds they haven't been doing their forgiveness thing too much. I know it is my swing inconsistency and I intend this weekend to go get the lies checked and adjusted. And this evening I rounded up enough previously used Dynalite Gold SL S300 shafts in the correct lengths to put in those heads after pulling the sweet Dynalite Gold R300's. I will end up with shafts (and clubs) ten grams lighter than before and about 1 swingweight heavier which I like and just a bit stiffer. So I will be able to swing a bit faster. This will give me less time for any swing thoughts to creep into my head before impact. And I'm going to stand a bit more upright trying to emulate the swing plane of my current swing hero, Bubba Watson. I don't think that dude lets any swing thoughts mess with his head.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    One of the things I like about my AP2s is that they are both fairly forgiving and they give good feedback. I know it sounds contradictory, but I think it has to do with the little aluminum plate they put in the cavity. Hit the ball pure and the sound is pure, hit it off a little and the sound tells you although the ball flight isn't as affected as you expect.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    The Mizuno MX 20 irons in my bag have very large heads and cavity backs with little T-Zoid trapezoid turbo weights behind the sweet spots which must be almost two inches wide. Not much offset, but lots of grain flow forged metal to forgive me with. Except the last few rounds they haven't been doing their forgiveness thing too much. I know it is my swing inconsistency and I intend this weekend to go get the lies checked and adjusted. And this evening I rounded up enough previously used Dynalite Gold SL S300 shafts in the correct lengths to put in those heads after pulling the sweet Dynalite Gold R300's. I will end up with shafts (and clubs) ten grams lighter than before and about 1 swingweight heavier which I like and just a bit stiffer. So I will be able to swing a bit faster. This will give me less time for any swing thoughts to creep into my head before impact. And I'm going to stand a bit more upright trying to emulate the swing plane of my current swing hero, Bubba Watson. I don't think that dude lets any swing thoughts mess with his head.
    The test you should give yourself is to hit consistent shots with a long iron. If you like Mizuno, use that. I have done this with an old steel shaft Haig Ultra forged blade. Lay down 10 balls on a tight grass lie. Then hit them to a target. How many do you flub?

I can hit 10 in a row with any club straight and long, making a clean strike and long divot in front of the ball. Can you? If not, the answer is fundamentals. Take a lesson or two and the pro will show you what you are doing wrong. If you are a serious student you will go down the range and ingrain the swing changes he suggested. If you are a typical amateur, you will forget that and just keep doing what is comfortable.

However, once you have this ability, you will realize there is almost no difference between clubhead types. The ONLY significant difference is that heavy steel shafts cost clubhead speed. Sacrificing clubhead speed is just stupid, hence we all play graphite shaft drivers and 3w. Soon all clubs will have graphite shafts.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by larryrsf View Post
    the test you should give yourself is to hit consistent shots with a long iron. If you like mizuno, use that. I have done this with an old steel shaft haig ultra forged blade. Lay down 10 balls on a tight grass lie. Then hit them to a target. How many do you flub?

I can hit 10 in a row with any club straight and long, making a clean strike and long divot in front of the ball.
    lololololololololololololololololololololololol
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Wofat, I have two pieces of advice for consistency of strike. First thing is what HB preaches; keep the roght elbow tucked into your side right throughout your swing. This keeps your arms connected and passive and enables your body to control the swing. If you disconnect your arms and allow them to take over you need supreme talent and a thousand balls a day to be consistent. Second thing; work on your rhythm and tempo. Good rhythm and tempo is more important than just about anything else imo.

You get these two things down and you wont believe how effortless it is to flush shot after ahot.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    Wofat, I have two pieces of advice for consistency of strike. First thing is what HB preaches; keep the roght elbow tucked into your side right throughout your swing. This keeps your arms connected and passive and enables your body to control the swing. If you disconnect your arms and allow them to take over you need supreme talent and a thousand balls a day to be consistent. Second thing; work on your rhythm and tempo. Good rhythm and tempo is more important than just about anything else imo.

You get these two things down and you wont believe how effortless it is to flush shot after ahot.
    I mostly agree with the right elbow. It should initially come in to your right side but it can lift of to about 3 inches of at the top if the back swing. But the first move in the transition reconnects the back arm to the body.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    I mostly agree with the right elbow. It should initially come in to your right side but it can lift of to about 3 inches of at the top if the back swing. But the first move in the transition reconnects the back arm to the body.
    I'm glad you both posted about this. Tempo and the right elbow have been something I'm working on, but I'll be focusing on it more. I've been really trying to keep my arms and upper body tied together in their movement and it definitely helps.

Current Sticks
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

Try this. It will keep you tucked and together. 1/2 to 3/4 shots.

I'm glad you both posted about this. Tempo and the right elbow have been something I'm working on, but I'll be focusing on it more. I've been really trying to keep my arms and upper body tied together in their movement and it definitely helps.
    Check out the Secretinthedirt.com video vaults and search for right elbow. Good stuff and it really helped me with the sequencing of the back elbow.

Lary, don't go there. The instructor is a TGM guy and it will just confuse you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Try this. It will keep you tucked and together. 1/2 to 3/4 shots.

Is that Phil Mickelson's brother?

Is that Phil Mickelson's brother?
    LOL. You can see the resemblance cant you! haha

Just some dood I found on google search.....guess it might be. Who knows!

I do practice with a spare glove under my right pit (would be your left pit)....seems to keep me better connected.....

Neither the right elbow being tucked nor my arms being "connected" were mentioned in my recent lesson. And I purposely shortened my backswing turn and allowed BOTH elbows break to allow the club to quite comfortably flatten over my back on top. The teacher didn't say anything about that stuff because those make NO DIFFERENCE. Just drag the club handle over the ball with your lead hand-- and roll your forearms to close the clubface before impact. If you start with or get your lead side heel down early, keep your head behind the ball, you will hit it crisp and the ball will go straight, with every club including driver.

Simple works. The teaching industry thrives on making it complex.

Larry

Neither the right elbow being tucked nor my arms being "connected" were mentioned in my recent lesson. And I purposely shortened my backswing turn and allowed BOTH elbows break to allow the club to quite comfortably flatten over my back on top. The teacher didn't say anything about that stuff because those make NO DIFFERENCE. Just drag the club handle over the ball with your lead hand-- and roll your forearms to close the clubface before impact. If you start with or get your lead side heel down early, keep your head behind the ball, you will hit it crisp and the ball will go straight, with every club including driver.

Larry

Last edited by poe4soul; 05-04-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Every time I see this thread title I think it's about architecture.
    GR lives...

There's a certain comfort to understanding that at one's own age, one is never going to get any better, and for that matter, won't indefinitely slow the erosion of capabilities already had.

At that point, one knows if the game is still fun or not.

I'm waiting for my new Spin Doctors. Hitting the ball accurately to the stick and then watching the ball wind back off the green will give everybody a huge chuckle. Can't ask for more than that.

Larry
    There are 2 reasons a teacher wouldnt mention the right elbow. Either he's incompetent and doesnt understand the golf swing or he does know about the swing but wants to keep his students in the dark so they keep coming back for more lessons.

Which one is your latest Larry?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

There are 2 reasons a teacher wouldnt mention the right elbow. Either he's incompetent and doesnt understand the golf swing or he does know about the swing but wants to keep his students in the dark so they keep coming back for more lessons.

Which one is your latest Larry?
    What's truly hilarious is that just last week Larry had a completely different set of "most importants" and "didn't mentions" from a different instructor who he claimed was "one of the best instructors"...

...and he's told us all for years that because a 32-times-human-power machine lacks the ability to do anything but rotate its "torso" then anyone using his or her hands or arms in an active way is completely wrong.

It might be fun to simply start refuting Larry's latest nonsense, solely with his earlier nonsense.

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    What's truly hilarious is that just last week Larry had a completely different set of "most importants" and "didn't mentions" from a different instructor who he claimed was "one of the best instructors"...

...and he's told us all for years that because a 32-times-human-power machine lacks the ability to do anything but rotate its "torso" then anyone using his or her hands or arms in an active way is completely wrong.

It might be fun to simply start refuting Larry's latest nonsense, solely with his earlier nonsense.

Alan, now you're binging. You can't succeed at ignoring Larry if you take a little bite of him every now and then. You have to stop completely. Some can handle one flame and then stop. Others can't. Which do you think you are?

It may work best if you replace what's missing for you with something else. Try flaming the rest of us, maybe that would help.
    GR lives...

Larry
    Sorry, must have not been clear enough in the original post, so I'll clarify. I don't give a **** about your lessons.

Current Sticks
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

Sorry, must have not been clear enough in the original post, so I'll clarify. I don't give a **** about your lessons.
    I would care about yours if you would go to a top teaching pro and tell us what he said.

but the best way to tell the world you just don't care about other people's lessons would be to write that-- then hit DELETE instead of SEND.

larry

They are a really nice iron. I demoed them a couple of weeks ago and was surprised how nice they look at address and also how nice they felt to hit. I expected them to be a big oversize shovel and was more interested in checking out the pro model but there was really very little difference between them. The pro model club head is marginally smaller with slightly less offset but apart from that they are very similar looking.

Now where the f#ck am I?

FD Video Lessons. Take 2

Well, since this thread is on consistency I thought I'd post another video. One thing that is glaringly evident is the fact that I do not have enough forward press in my hands at address. Further, I'm casting the club rather than keep the angle of attack until the bottom of my swing. Surprisingly, I flushed all of those shots, except for one, on the video right at the 165 flag with a 6 iron. I was creaming it, even though it may not look that good.

You'll also notice a blonde babe behind me who looked really good in her workout tights and top. I think she was around 5 foot 9. I was going to hit driver at the end and realized there was no tee. Hey, I used an iphone balanced on a headcover. What can I say?

Click here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LyEdKx7A9w
    Last edited by famousdavis; 05-04-2012 at 02:21 PM.

I would care about yours if you would go to a top teaching pro and tell us what he said.

but the best way to tell the world you just don't care about other people's lessons would be to write that-- then hit DELETE instead of SEND.

larry
    Ha ha. Don't mistake my words Larry, I'm quite interested in "other people's lessons", just not yours, as I indicated in the original post. Unfortunately, your ego continues to override all, and you're helpless to do anything else but chime in.

Buddha, I was also looking at the JPX800 pro, but didn't find anywhere local to hit them. I'm going to try to find them and hit then.

Current Sticks
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

Well, since this thread is on consistency I thought I'd post another video. One thing that is glaringly evident is the fact that I do not have enough forward press in my hands at address. Further, I'm casting the club rather than keep the angle of attack until the bottom of my swing. Surprisingly, I flushed all of those shots, except for one, on the video right at the 165 flag with a 6 iron. I was creaming it, even though it may not look that good.

You'll also notice a blonde babe behind me who looked really good in her workout tights and top. I think she was around 5 foot 9. I was going to hit driver at the end and realized there was no tee. Hey, I used an iphone balanced on a headcover. What can I say?

Click here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNmSmqtH_eg
    First time we've seen the caddie view of your swing. Like you said on "casting." I wouldn't call it casting but your not holding your lag (or flying wedges as Pman would say). What I found interesting is your left arm are appears to be on top of your chest with the elbow pointing almost down the line at impact.

Shouldn't your elbow be pointed at a 45* behind you. In fact, I think you are nearly the same at setup. I would think it would be hard to release your hands in this position. If your arm was up against your pec, your hands would be way past the ball at this point in your swing. That connection of the front arm and chest should be solid throughout the entire swing.

I'm a hack, so take it or leave it...

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    First time we've seen the caddie view of your swing. Like you said on "casting." I wouldn't call it casting but your not holding your lag (or flying wedges as Pman would say). What I found interesting is your left arm are appears to be on top of your chest with the elbow pointing almost down the line at impact.

Shouldn't your elbow be pointed at a 45* behind you. In fact, I think you are nearly the same at setup. I would think it would be hard to release your hands in this position. If your arm was up against your pec, your hands would be way past the ball at this point in your swing. That connection of the front arm and chest should be solid throughout the entire swing.

I'm a hack, so take it or leave it...
    I have to confess that I'm not sure what you are trying to point out. It is very clear to me that I need to put my hands further forward at setup.

Also, one thing that is obvious is that my practice swing looks much better than the real thing. I need to take the club back more outside and have a shorter backswing. I'm going back in a few days and will video the progress.

Last edited by famousdavis; 05-04-2012 at 02:26 PM.

I have to confess that I'm not sure what you are trying to point out. It is very clear to me that I need to put my hands further forward at setup.

Also, one thing that is obvious is that my practice swing looks much better than the real thing. I need to take the club back more outside and have a shorter backswing. I'm going back in a few days and will video the progress.

Where's the blonde babe behind you? That's the only reason I watched the video. I feel ripped off!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Where's the blonde babe behind you? That's the only reason I watched the video. I feel ripped off!
    Click on the video that's in Poe's response. Here you go:.

You'll also notice a blonde babe behind me who looked really good in her workout tights and top. I think she was around 5 foot 9. ?

Click here:
    Sh$$$t... I did not notice your swing, I've watched her for the entire time

Click here:
    That looks pretty consistent to me and a really nice tempo. I don't think it matters a whole lot if you press your wrists at address so long as your hands are in front of the clubhead at impact so that you compress the ball which it looks like you are doing nicely.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Your left elbow should be pointing 45° behind you at address. More like your right elbow. Again, the same coming into impact. I bet you wouldn't get that cup in your left wrist if your elbow was in the position I described.

Buddha, I was also looking at the JPX800 pro, but didn't find anywhere local to hit them. I'm going to try to find them and hit then.
    Good luck. I'll report back on my findings once the CGBs and 800s come in.

FD, the first thing I noticed is that your takeaway seems steep. I'm no swing expert, so take that fwiw. Thanks for posting the clips.

I bet Larry likes your butt waggle.
    I keeps it real.

Well, since this thread is on consistency I thought I'd post another video. One thing that is glaringly evident is the fact that I do not have enough forward press in my hands at address. Further, I'm casting the club rather than keep the angle of attack until the bottom of my swing. Surprisingly, I flushed all of those shots, except for one, on the video right at the 165 flag with a 6 iron. I was creaming it, even though it may not look that good. [/URL]
    Looked more like a 9i and you almost completely flubbed one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxttm...ature=youtu.be

These swings were today. Just to make it difficult and the achievement significant, I was using a THREE IRON. Still, I made crisp contact and got long and straight ball flight. That is a Callaway Graphite Shaft OS Cavity back "shovel." With HUGE offset. Even with all those "faults," those shots go 200 yards and then roll. Hate to burst some bubbles here, but MOST of what you guys think is important is NOT. I could do that with an ancient forged blade Haig Ultra 3i. The distance would be a little shorter, but the quality of the strike and the ball flight trajectory would be comparable. A swing is a swing.

I am working to achieve more clubhead speed and a later release, but this works now for fairways and greens.

See you out there! We really ought to hook up and play a round.

Larry
    Last edited by Larryrsf; 05-04-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    This is for you, Kiwi
    Attached Images Attached Images  

These swings were today. Just to make it difficult and the achievement significant, I was using a THREE IRON. Still, I made crisp contact and got long and straight ball flight. That is a Callaway Graphite Shaft OS Cavity back "shovel." With HUGE offset. Even with all those "faults," those shots go 200 yards and then roll. Hate to burst some bubbles here, but MOST of what you guys think is important is NOT. I could do that with an ancient forged blade Haig Ultra 3i. The distance would be a little shorter, but the quality of the strike and the ball flight trajectory would be comparable. A swing is a swing.

I am working to achieve more clubhead speed and a later release, but this works now for fairways and greens.

Larry
    No, it was a 6 iron and, like I said in my post, I did miss a shot. Of course the definition of missing or "flubbing" a shot is all relative. A flub for you might be a 20 foot worm burner but for me it's a shot that goes short and to the right. That shot appears when I get too quick with my downswing.

I have a few faults in my swing that these videos help to identify. The primary one is clearly my set up. I need to forward press my hands more and my shoulders are open at address. The secondary one which is caused by the setup as well as bad habits is taking the club too inside and then lifting up.

I did see something in the video that brought about a realization--my practice swing is not as short a backswing as I thought it was. I am taking the club too far inside and too far up. I need it shorter and more out in front of me. I do this with the practice swing. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

Bradley hughes on youtube has some interesting views. And unlike tje so called gurus Hughes actually made it to the pga tour so he knows wjat he is talking about.

Larry
    If i can i will take this one for Alan, Larry talks about 3i off tight lies, the bit of mat he hits off at the range is one of those half inch astro grass things. you could hit your driver flush off of them. Come on larry, give us a couple of vids on the course hitting to greens with ur 3i from 150 yards so we can get a good look at your shanks.

No, it was a 6 iron and, like I said in my post, I did miss a shot. Of course the definition of missing or "flubbing" a shot is all relative. A flub for you might be a 20 foot worm burner but for me it's a shot that goes short and to the right. That shot appears when I get too quick with my downswing.

I have a few faults in my swing that these videos help to identify. The primary one is clearly my set up. I need to forward press my hands more and my shoulders are open at address. The secondary one which is caused by the setup as well as bad habits is taking the club too inside and then lifting up.

I did see something in the video that brought about a realization--my practice swing is not as short a backswing as I thought it was. I am taking the club too far inside and too far up. I need it shorter and more out in front of me. I do this with the practice swing. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.
    Well, if you benefit from analyzing your own video, good. But too often amateurs have no idea what actually causes faults they see and even less idea how to fix them.

I really suggest lessons. Simply setting up with the hands forward hoping that the clubhandle will be leading the clubhead at impact is often bogus-- the opposite could happen! It is far better to start your backswing with your hands in the middle--or even taking the hands back before the clubhead, sort of a "dragging" effect. A big forward press sets the wrists in a very problemmatic angle that results in a bogus top position from which OTT is nearly assured. Ask a pro. And taking it back too inside IS indeed nearly always a serious backswing fault. In my experience modern teaching has students push the clubhead outside while keeping the hands in over our shoes-- like Furyk, Bubba, and Ricky Fowler.

Good luck!

Larry
    Last edited by Larryrsf; 05-05-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stugstar View Post
    If i can i will take this one for Alan, Larry talks about 3i off tight lies, the bit of mat he hits off at the range is one of those half inch astro grass things. you could hit your driver flush off of them. Come on larry, give us a couple of vids on the course hitting to greens with ur 3i from 150 yards so we can get a good look at your shanks.
    In fact I DO hit my driver off those mats and I can hit it long and straight. Try it. Your swing still must be technically correct or you will flub it.

I use the mats when the grass lies are taken. There is not much difference once you have learned to make clean contact with every club. I often take a piece of chalk and draw a line toward the target and a cross line where I place the ball. Then I work to take NO chalk behind the ball and a few inches in front of the ball.

I am working to focus on releasing a few inches in front of every ball now--

Larry

I say this as a caring friend, Larry.

Isn't just about time to switch to shuffleboard?

It may surprise Larry that two of his heroes took it back way inside but still managed to come into impact on a shallow inside path. Hogan and Trevino didnt concern themselves with backswing positions that had zero effect on impact. Only teachers with no understanding of the swing would worry too much about halfway back positions.

It may surprise Larry that two of his heroes took it back way inside but still managed to come into impact on a shallow inside path. Hogan and Trevino didnt concern themselves with backswing positions that had zero effect on impact. Only teachers with no understanding of the swing would worry too much about halfway back positions.
    Larry's "heroes" are whichever golfer matches whatever his current attempt to fix his swing is...

...and he never notices the contradictions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narciss...ality_disorder

That pretty much explains it all.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Well, if you benefit from analyzing your own video, good. But too often amateurs have no idea what actually causes faults they see and even less idea how to fix them.

I really suggest lessons. Simply setting up with the hands forward hoping that the clubhandle will be leading the clubhead at impact is often bogus-- the opposite could happen! It is far better to start your backswing with your hands in the middle--or even taking the hands back before the clubhead, sort of a "dragging" effect. A big forward press sets the wrists in a very problemmatic angle that results in a bogus top position from which OTT is nearly assured. Ask a pro. And taking it back too inside IS indeed nearly always a serious backswing fault. In my experience modern teaching has students push the clubhead outside while keeping the hands in over our shoes-- like Furyk, Bubba, and Ricky Fowler.

Good luck!

Larry
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSLPXIHU9Zc

This was today. We are emphasizing the correct backswing plane, pushing the clubhead outside, getting it vertical, then laying it off to start the downswing down and under. This move is what helps shift our weight and initiate the hip turn toward the target-- and creates the late release and clubhead speed.

Take a lesson and learn.

Larry

The golf swing is like f*cking. Some days different positions work better than others.

The golf swing is like f*cking. Some days different positions work better than others.
    Golf is nothing like f*cking. They don't have pills for when you can't get your game up.

What about after you've been married 20 years and ANY position will do?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thread Information