|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Poorly named iron sets

Let's face it, nobody wants to play a set of irons with a stupid name. Here is a list of some of the bad ones:

Cleveland Mashie irons. Who wants to play an iron named "Mashie"? "hey guys, check out my new Mashies".

Cleveland VAS irons. This was confusing because golfers weren't sure whether to call them "Vas" irons are "V.A.S" irons. "What vas you saying?

Big Bertha Diablo irons. Diablo? Where the heck did they get this idea. "OK, we need a new name for our new set of irons coming out this fall. I know...let's call them Diablo!". How about La Bamba irons?

Square Two irons. Who wants to play Square Two irons?

Maruman Curtis Strange irons. No explanation required.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Let's face it, nobody wants to play a set of irons with a stupid name. Here is a list of some of the bad ones:

Cleveland Mashie irons. Who wants to play an iron named "Mashie"? "hey guys, check out my new Mashies".

Cleveland VAS irons. This was confusing because golfers weren't sure whether to call them "Vas" irons are "V.A.S" irons. "What vas you saying?

Big Bertha Diablo irons. Diablo? Where the heck did they get this idea. "OK, we need a new name for our new set of irons coming out this fall. I know...let's call them Diablo!". How about La Bamba irons?

Square Two irons. Who wants to play Square Two irons?

Maruman Curtis Strange irons. No explanation required.
    At the country club my father joined in the early 1950's, there was a bartender in the Men's Grill that was there from my first memories as a pre-teen until the last time we played there in the mid-1990's. His name was Mashie and he used to serve me gin & tonics when I was 16.

VAS always reminded me of the first three letters of the name of the procedure where the doctor punctures your ball sac and snips the little tubes. F*ck that.

Any product named after the Devil is fine for those who do not acknoledge the existence of the Prince of Light. You-all have have that gear to yourselves.

When all else fails with your swing you go back to Square One and learn to, as Larry is so fond of posting ad nauseum shift and turn and when you get that down you can hit good shots with any rocks on the ends of any sticks.

Maruman clubs were and, I assume are, played by the greatest woman ever to tee it up (in her own special sod-cloppering way) on the women's tours. As for Tom's twin brother, back when he won his consecutive U.S. Opens, his average driving distance was about the same or a few yards less than mine.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Rocketballs
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer View Post
    Srixon's Imahomo irons as well as the ill-fated eyeSuck series by PING.
    I'm pretty sure the Wilson Agressor irons were made for the thug crowd that emerged shortly after Tiger came on the scene. I was told they wanted to follow that line up with the Wilson Roughneck irons but management decided to go with Fat Shaft.

Srixon's Imahomo irons as well as the ill-fated eyeSuck series by PING.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by buddha33 View Post
    This x 3. I don't know what they were thinking.
    Whatever they were thinking is working. The RBZ fairway woods are the biggest thing since the wonder bra. I know several chaps who play them.

Here are some good oxymoron names for clubs:

Alien Tour Wedge

Callaway Big Bertha Tour irons

Maxfli Noodle Long and Soft

Callaway Steelhead Titanium

Here are some stupid ideas:

Metal inserts for putters. Huh?

Composite inserts for drivers. Say what?

45 inch 3 wood. WTF?

Bamboo shafts. GTFO!

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    Rocketballs
    This x 3. I don't know what they were thinking.
    I keeps it real.

I'm having a set of these made: http://www.calgolftech.com/products/...gedmuslow.html

They're going to be stamped, "Brand X"

Quote Originally Posted by 24putts View Post
    I'm having a set of these made: http://www.calgolftech.com/products/...gedmuslow.html

If you can afford the round-trip ticket on a Time Machine all the way back to 2002 and back to the present, I think you could find a better set than those.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    If you can afford the round-trip ticket on a Time Machine all the way back to 2002 and back to the present, I think you could find a better set than those.

I always enjoy Mongrel's offerings, but I honestly have no idea what this means.

Ray Cook's "Titanic" Irons, and also, I know it's not an iron, but the Titleist DCI Starship woods... Starship? Really?

My favorite name ever? Nicklaus "Air Bear" that's just cool as hell... Never hit the clubs, but the names cool IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by hubijerk View Post
    Starship? Really?

"Miracles" by Starship once helped me to a great night in a sorority house.

I always enjoy Mongrel's offerings, but I honestly have no idea what this means.
    I've enjoyed reading California Golf Techologies website for some time. The link you posted, however, is from 2002.

Those are actually very good. My brother had a set made and alternated between them and Miuras.

That plain look has to be better than the embarrassing crap the OEMs make now.

At the country club my father joined in the early 1950's, there was a bartender in the Men's Grill that was there from my first memories as a pre-teen until the last time we played there in the mid-1990's. His name was Mashie and he used to serve me gin & tonics when I was 16.

VAS always reminded me of the first three letters of the name of the procedure where the doctor punctures your ball sac and snips the little tubes. F*ck that.

Any product named after the Devil is fine for those who do not acknoledge the existence of the Prince of Light. You-all have have that gear to yourselves.

When all else fails with your swing you go back to Square One and learn to, as Larry is so fond of posting ad nauseum shift and turn and when you get that down you can hit good shots with any rocks on the ends of any sticks.

Maruman clubs were and, I assume are, played by the greatest woman ever to tee it up (in her own special sod-cloppering way) on the women's tours. As for Tom's twin brother, back when he won his consecutive U.S. Opens, his average driving distance was about the same or a few yards less than mine.
    Could he make a bull shark?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    Can you make a shoe smell? I heard his wife was really something before electricity.

Can you make a shoe smell? I heard his wife was really something before electricity.
    Apparently the food wasnt great either. Mongrel had better food at the ball game.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Apparently the food wasnt great either. Mongrel had better food at the ball game.
    There were marks on the meat where the jockey was kicking it. He told the waiter to tell the chef that it was low grade dog food.

Never heard of that one but there was a "Bull Shot" which I believe is also known as a "John Bull". Cold beef consomme with vodka. The best Bull Shots I ever had were in the clubhouse grille at Pebble Beach around 1967. We ate lunch and drank a bunch with a business friend of my father's. I walked around the 18th green but we did not play on that trip except to in Sandy, Utah, in the afternoon after we spent the morning downhill skiing at Alta. I don't think Pebble was very expensive back then.

Never heard of that one but there was a "Bull Shot" which I believe is also known as a "John Bull". Cold beef consomme with vodka. The best Bull Shots I ever had were in the clubhouse grille at Pebble Beach around 1967. We ate lunch and drank a bunch with a business friend of my father's. I walked around the 18th green but we did not play on that trip except to in Sandy, Utah, in the afternoon after we spent the morning downhill skiing at Alta. I don't think Pebble was very expensive back then.
    Back then you could stay at the Pebble Beach lodge and play two rounds at Pebble Beach for $90. In the 1970's you could join Spyglass for $2,000 and then pay something like $200 a month and play as much as you want. Those who joined back then still pay $200 a month.

About 10 years ago you could join Monterey Penninsula for $50,000. That's a heck of a deal because the membership is passed on to your children.

It probably was a bull shot, I have trouble with american accents.

It probably was a bull shot, I have trouble with american accents .
    Thets a bet retch comeng from en Austrarlian

English translation for our international audience:

That's a bit rich coming from an Australian.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Thets a bet retch comeng from en Austrarlian

English translation for our international audience:

That's a bit rich coming from an Australian.
    Pot and kettle.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Golf products that never made it to retail

Golf Clubs: 1994 Wilson OJ Simpson Signature blades

Book: How my Win at the Player's Championship jump Started my Career by Craig Perks

Golf Club: 1997 Callaway Obese Bertha

Golf Club: Crotch putter

Golf Clubs: 1994 Wilson OJ Simpson Signature blades

Book: How my Win at the Player's Championship jump Started my Career by Craig Perks

Golf Club: 1997 Callaway Obese Bertha

Golf Club: Crotch putter
    Book: How to Go Really Low: Use my special pre-shot routine to halve your handicap. by Kevin Na

What are all these golf balls worth?

This guy is selling 20 dozen brand new golf balls for $200. They all appear to be at least 10 years old. However, if memory serves those Slazingers were pretty expensive at the time. I think the entire lot is worth about $50 but I could be wrong. Would those balls fly as far? See the photo below. If that doesn't work try the link.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/3005475475.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z golf balls.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	2850  

This guy is selling 20 dozen brand new golf balls for $200. They all appear to be at least 10 years old. However, if memory serves those Slazingers were pretty expensive at the time. I think the entire lot is worth about $50 but I could be wrong. Would those balls fly as far? See the photo below. If that doesn't work try the link.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/3005475475.html
    Golfballs, like wine and stringed instruments, age with time. Many wines just keep getting better but others turn to vinegar. Hand-carved violins, cellos, guitars etc. just keep getting more resonant with age and more valuable. Golfballs, if kept inside in climate-controlled environments, just keep getting harder. So those original NXT's will probably feel like '70's TopFlites. The Precept Extra Spins will be Extra Harsh. The Slazengers were mostly two-piece distance balls and those might be good so long as its around 90-100F. I would expect them to give the Big Hurt when the temp falls below 60F. Now the Taylormades with Gel could be dual-use spheres. Even if the ball doesn't perform very well anymore, you could take a hacksaw and cut them open and use the gel on your hair if you are that kind of guy. I'd say the market for new-old-stock run-of-the-mill-when-they-were-new balls is around a quarter of a dollar U.S. apiece. They would keep your shag bag full for quite awhile.

In general, polymers change physical properties and become less stable after 5 yrs due to moisture in the air and UV... does it change enough (tensile, compression set, elongation, modulus etc...) for golfer to feel? probably not for 90+/- hackers like me, but if U are close to scratch player then it may

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    Pot and kettle.
    Vice & versa.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Another stupidly-named iron set was Browning. My grandfather had a set of these. They had the lowest profile of any club I have ever seen. But, here's where I get confused. Forged clubs often experience a browning of the face over time from hitting thousands of balls. Eventually, the face begins to rust and becomes really brown. Here's the rub: All browning irons were investment cast rather than forged. As a result, the faces would never become brown. I can't figure it.

Thread Information