|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Srixon Solf feel golf ball

Played a round today, hit ball quite straight , chipping was good and putting was good, ended up 41/43 on a 130 slope rating course so I am pleased, thought that chipping/short game would kill me today, but lucky me... I found this ball and play several holes with it... until I drove it into high rough and could not find it... very good ball IMO
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    Played a round today, hit ball quite straight , chipping was good and putting was good, ended up 41/43 on a 130 slope rating course so I am pleased, thought that chipping/short game would kill me today, but lucky me... I found this ball and play several holes with it... until I drove it into high rough and could not find it... very good ball IMO
    I've played those when the temps are still cool, as in 40s 50s the pinnacle exception is one of my favorites though. I purchased 50 mint ones for 35 dollars. I also purchased fluffys reccomendation for us amateurs and picked up a dozen Callaway hx not the tours.
    I still have a new sleeve of prov1 and Bridgestone b330rx in the bag, as I get a sucker to bet me now and then. I played a fellow who was bragging how good his golf game was, for 10 dollars a hole, on the side during league, he was a supposed 8 handicap. He paid me 90 dollars after 9 holes. I probably ruined my handicap as I shot 36.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    I've played those when the temps are still cool, as in 40s 50s the pinnacle exception is one of my favorites though. I purchased 50 mint ones for 35 dollars. I also purchased fluffys reccomendation for us amateurs and picked up a dozen Callaway hx not the tours.
    I still have a new sleeve of prov1 and Bridgestone b330rx in the bag, as I get a sucker to bet me now and then. I played a fellow who was bragging how good his golf game was, for 10 dollars a hole, on the side during league, he was a supposed 8 handicap. He paid me 90 dollars after 9 holes. I probably ruined my handicap as I shot 36.
    12... I hit MX-23 quite decent yesterday... on one hole, 110 yds away, slightly downhill, hit a PW pure, 5 ft away of a hole and missed a birdie putt... Sh$$$$$t...

12... I hit MX-23 quite decent yesterday... on one hole, 110 yds away, slightly downhill, hit a PW pure, 5 ft away of a hole and missed a birdie putt... Sh$$$$$t...
    I'm playing tomorrow with 3 buddy's. One plays mx-20 another plays mx-23 another plays mx-25. I sold them, to all of them, and they absolutely love them. 2 of them now shoot ocasional 70s.
    They all thank me, as these clubs made them better players.
    There great clubs Ky as you know
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

And how did those Callaway's perform?They truely are soft.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "The statement below is true.
    The statement above is false"

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    And how did those Callaway's perform?They truely are soft.
    Yes they are soft, and the best part there quite durable, just as you stated. Plus there less than half the price of a prov1.
    Since nobody I play with uses them, there's no discussions on that's my ball.
    I don't think there as long as the exceptions, but they spin a little more on wedge shots, and don't look like sh!t after a few holes, as you know prov1s look like crap after one round or less.
    Thanks fluffy

Yes they are soft, and the best part there quite durable, just as you stated. Plus there less than half the price of a prov1.
    Since nobody I play with uses them, there's no discussions on that's my ball.
    I don't think there as long as the exceptions, but they spin a little more on wedge shots, and don't look like sh!t after a few holes, as you know prov1s look like crap after one round or less.
    Thanks fluffy
    The reason why they feel so soft is because of the compression ratio.Think its 60% then that of a proV1,Most amutuers cant spin a ProV1,or use its full potential to hit it long. a ProV1 lasts me about 5 iron shots...LOL.Then the ball is ruined.(Dont trust it then of the driver for less spin)

Srixon soft feel is a chopper ball. Probably a good choice if you are a spastic. I only use premium urethane tour balls.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    Srixon soft feel is a chopper ball. Probably a good choice if you are a spastic. I only use premium urethane tour balls.
    It's great a Tour quality ball enables you to shoot 85. I guess you'd shoot 92 with the Soft Feel.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

The reason why they feel so soft is because of the compression ratio.
    Please educate us what this means ?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=golf+ball+compression+ratio

More seriously,
    When I started again 7 months ago I hit a penta and it felt as hard as a rock.Couldnt get that much spin on it as well.Since then about a week ago I used the same make penta and it felt alot softer,Because my body has gotten used to hitting a golfclub again,I am swinging faster and making more crisp contact with the ball.

The slower your swing speed, the lower compression ball you should be using.
    I started this season with pinnacle exceptions a great ball for rusty swings or cooler temperatures. With a compression rating of around 60 compared to a prov1x of around a 100.
    The callaway that fluffy recommends hx diablo is about the same compression as the exception, and has a very durable cover, and easier to find, as the exceptions I'm finding mainly used.
    The hx tour is a 70-75 compression ball similar to the prov1 but way more durable cover.
    The bottom line is the urethane cover on premium balls shreds pretty quick, and there twice as expensive.
    Im picking up some hx tours as the temps are finally warm, my swing is pretty grooved, and I'll benefit a little with a slightly higher compression ball. I also put quite a lot of spin on my wedges so a urethane cover is not as important.
    That Srixon soft feel is a very low compression ball, I think in the 40s. I think the Bridgestone e6 is just a little harder for instance.

I started this season with pinnacle exceptions a great ball for rusty swings or cooler temperatures. With a compression rating of around 60 compared to a prov1x of around a 100.
    The callaway that fluffy recommends hx diablo is about the same compression as the exception, and has a very durable cover, and easier to find, as the exceptions I'm finding mainly used.
    The hx tour is a 70-75 compression ball similar to the prov1 but way more durable cover.
    The bottom line is the urethane cover on premium balls shreds pretty quick, and there twice as expensive.
    Im picking up some hx tours as the temps are finally warm, my swing is pretty grooved, and I'll benefit a little with a slightly higher compression ball. I also put quite a lot of spin on my wedges so a urethane cover is not as important.
    That Srixon soft feel is a very low compression ball, I think in the 40s. I think the Bridgestone e6 is just a little harder for instance.
    The Diablo HX Tour is about 110.....Its harder then a ProV1x,about as hard as an Penta 5piece...

Hitting the Srixon soft feel it feel very hard....I cant believe that thing should have anything below a 70 compression ratio.

The Diablo HX Tour is about 110.....Its harder then a ProV1x,about as hard as an Penta 5piece...

Hitting the Srixon soft feel it feel very hard....I cant believe that thing should have anything below a 70 compression ratio.
    According to golf ball test. Org the diablo hx has a 53 compression the diablo hx tour is a 70 the Srixon soft feel is a 61 about the same as the pinnacle exception I like in cooler weather.
    I may like the hx tour diablo

I was having fun with you Guys/Girls/AC-DC ... that's all... I wanted test people's knowledge in polymer science , not from the practical sense

I play the Pro V1 ball, not the * version. It's the best ball by far. Long off the tee, low trajectory and the best feel and spin around the greens.

I am dumping my Taylormade Tour Burner TP 8.5 driver. I will procuring a G15 9 degree with Serrano.

On another note, I think I've turned a corner. My desire to club ho has been diminishing lately and I think I'm going to stop completely for awhile and just hang on to the Titleist 990 irons. Nothing seems to work better. I've tried the game improvement iron route and I find them too light for my taste. If I swing too quickly they come up 10 yards short.

The club ho'ing wagon will be a tough one. I saw a set of Adams Pro Gold irons, 4-LW (10 irons) in like new condition for $200. Project X 6.0 shafts. Hit them and they were great. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I play the Pro V1 ball, not the * version. It's the best ball by far. Long off the tee, low trajectory and the best feel and spin around the greens.

I am dumping my Taylormade Tour Burner TP 8.5 driver. I will procuring a G15 9 degree with Serrano.

On another note, I think I've turned a corner. My desire to club ho has been diminishing lately and I think I'm going to stop completely for awhile and just hang on to the Titleist 990 irons. Nothing seems to work better. I've tried the game improvement iron route and I find them too light for my taste. If I swing too quickly they come up 10 yards short.

The club ho'ing wagon will be a tough one. I saw a set of Adams Pro Gold irons, 4-LW (10 irons) in like new condition for $200. Project X 6.0 shafts. Hit them and they were great. Sigh.
    I hope I slow down some. I saw a like new r9 driver over the weekend on the rack at a local course, asking price was a 100 I offered 60 we settled on 65 I hit it straighter then any driver in awhile, plus it seems to a have pretty large sweet spot, and the trajectory is nice and low, not to mention it makes a pleasing sound at impact.
    I did sell a 2, 3 woods and a wedge last week. I'm on a roll

According to golf ball test. Org the diablo hx has a 53 compression the diablo hx tour is a 70 the Srixon soft feel is a 61 about the same as the pinnacle exception I like in cooler weather.
    I may like the hx tour diablo
    This was my finding and personal experience with the balls.Especially the harder compression balls,On the nett I got different compressions done by various people but took the average of the ones closest in ranges...

http://forums.golfreview.com/showpos...0&postcount=10

What level of play are we taliking about here?

I'm just curious to know where ball becomes a noticeable factor.

I used to hate wound balls, but once they disappeared, I never found any major name brand ball that detracted noticeably from my game.

At what approximate level of competence or achievement does this kick in, seriously?

If you like the Soft Feel try the AD333. Another good budget ball by Srixon. I'll play the AD333 in the winter. It's a high launch ball and is great for the wet conditions in the NW. If you like the Soft Feel but want some more spin try the Tri Speed Tour.

I haven't tried the Srixon Star line but it looks good.

I hope I slow down some. I saw a like new r9 driver over the weekend on the rack at a local course, asking price was a 100 I offered 60 we settled on 65 I hit it straighter then any driver in awhile, plus it seems to a have pretty large sweet spot, and the trajectory is nice and low, not to mention it makes a pleasing sound at impact.
    I did sell a 2, 3 woods and a wedge last week. I'm on a roll
    The R9 is a great driver. I'm happy about my future purchase of the G15 9 deg with Serrano because I know it's a great driver that I can keep in the bag for some time.

It's the irons that I can't seem to stick with. I seem to gravitate back and forth between player's irons and GI irons. I need to just stick with the same set or maybe just always have a set of Ping Eye 2s, Titleist 990s and Callaway X-20s in the garage.

Forged is out. I tried the Mizuno MP-57 irons on both days and I didn't like the way they felt or performed.

The R9 is a great driver. I'm happy about my future purchase of the G15 9 deg with Serrano because I know it's a great driver that I can keep in the bag for some time.

It's the irons that I can't seem to stick with. I seem to gravitate back and forth between player's irons and GI irons. I need to just stick with the same set or maybe just always have a set of Ping Eye 2s, Titleist 990s and Callaway X-20s in the garage.

Forged is out. I tried the Mizuno MP-57 irons on both days and I didn't like the way they felt or performed.
    FD,

Curious, you say forged is out. How do you pick up clubs off the shelf that are cast and have them adjusted to your lie angle? Can't there be a problem adjusting cast more that a couple of degrees? Do you have every set you buy adjusted or do you just buy the set and go out?

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    If you like the Soft Feel try the AD333. Another good budget ball by Srixon. I'll play the AD333 in the winter. It's a high launch ball and is great for the wet conditions in the NW. If you like the Soft Feel but want some more spin try the Tri Speed Tour.

I haven't tried the Srixon Star line but it looks good.
    You beat me to it Poe. I have been gaming the AD333for a while now. They sell them and the Soft feel for $25 a dozen which is really cheap in NZ compared to premium balls that sell for about $90 a dozen. To save money on maintenance my golf club has let the rough grow long and deep and that combined with my erratic play over the past year has meant a switch from premium balls to something I can afford to lose. Seeing an $8 ball lost off the tee is no fun. A $2 ball I can live with. I'm with Nifty though. The ball doesn't affect my score one iota.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

FD,

Curious, you say forged is out. How do you pick up clubs off the shelf that are cast and have them adjusted to your lie angle? Can't there be a problem adjusting cast more that a couple of degrees? Do you have every set you buy adjusted or do you just buy the set and go out?
    I only buy a set that is standard length and lie. I can tell when I put the club down if it's too upright or flat. I also use sole tape to check the lie angle when I swing. I won't buy a used set that I need to cut down or change the lie angle.

One surprise I got a few years back was when I bought a used set of Eye 2s. The lofts of the irons were way off. The 9 iron was 50 degrees and the PW was 53 degrees. I was wondering why I couldn't get any distance with the 9 iron.

I only buy a set that is standard length and lie. I can tell when I put the club down if it's too upright or flat. I also use sole tape to check the lie angle when I swing. I won't buy a used set that I need to cut down or change the lie angle.

One surprise I got a few years back was when I bought a used set of Eye 2s. The lofts of the irons were way off. The 9 iron was 50 degrees and the PW was 53 degrees. I was wondering why I couldn't get any distance with the 9 iron.
    Yeah, there's no way I could do what your doing. I'm left handed and play 1/2" short and 2* down. I'm a 5'10", short waist, and have arms and legs of 6'+. Yes my knuckles drag a bit when I walk. Buying clubs off the rack isn't really an option for me.

No, I guess they wouldn't be. There's a guy on tour who's built like that who looks much taller than he really is. Jonathan Byrd is only 5-9 but he looks like he's 6 foot because of his long legs and extremely long arms and wide shoulders. If you look at that guy,s arms they are down to his knees.
    OK, I was exaggerating, but you get my point. Every club I try off the rack is a 10 yard draw.

Yeah, there's no way I could do what your doing. I'm left handed and play 1/2" short and 2* down. I'm a 5'10", short waist, and have arms and legs of 6'+. Yes my knuckles drag a bit when I walk. Buying clubs off the rack isn't really an option for me.
    No, I guess they wouldn't be. There's a guy on tour who's built like that who looks much taller than he really is. Jonathan Byrd is only 5-9 but he looks like he's 6 foot because of his long legs and extremely long arms and wide shoulders. If you look at that guy,s arms they are down to his knees.

Whats with the obsession with low ball flights. High ball flight is far superior to low. You get more distance and softer landing into greens. All the great players are renowned for their towering ball flight, especially with the long irons.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

You know, a few years ago whenever I was more of a hacker than I am now, I was playing at the most twice a week. I went through several "favorites" in the golf ball category. Most of them were the cheap balls as I knew I was not good enough to be playing premium balls that I would probably lose after a few holes of golf. My "favorite" ball back then became the ball that I usually hit well in any given round.

Now that I golf around 5 days a week, I have learned a lot more about how certain balls play and what their strengths and weaknesses are. For the most part, I can tell you without a doubt that most all premium balls will outperform the cheaper balls day in and day out. However, super-hackers will not be able to tell the difference between cheap balls and premium balls. This is because super-hackers (90+) golfers rarely hit the ball squarely enough to tell the difference.

For those golfers that are regularly playing the premium balls, I don't think brands really matter that much. I will say though that if you are hitting the "spin" premium balls during the Summer months, you are sacrificing distance and not gaining that much more around greens. The longer balls (Titleist Pro V1x and Callaway i(z) type balls) definitely give more distance and still have enough spin around the greens for any golf game. However, during the Winter months, you are probably losing distance and playability in your ball if you are not hitting the softer (more spin) type balls.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Whats with the obsession with low ball flights. High ball flight is far superior to low. You get more distance and softer landing into greens. All the great players are renowned for their towering ball flight, especially with the long irons.
    Controllled trajectory is what I want. I played this weekend in 20+ knot winds. Controlling the ball off the tee and on approaches was mandatory to control distance. High balls flights into the wind resulted in the ball going backward. In fact high ball flights sucked on all shots except down wind drives.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    You know, a few years ago whenever I was more of a hacker than I am now, I was playing at the most twice a week. I went through several "favorites" in the golf ball category. Most of them were the cheap balls as I knew I was not good enough to be playing premium balls that I would probably lose after a few holes of golf. My "favorite" ball back then became the ball that I usually hit well in any given round.

Now that I golf around 5 days a week, I have learned a lot more about how certain balls play and what their strengths and weaknesses are. For the most part, I can tell you without a doubt that most all premium balls will outperform the cheaper balls day in and day out. However, super-hackers will not be able to tell the difference between cheap balls and premium balls. This is because super-hackers (90+) golfers rarely hit the ball squarely enough to tell the difference.

For those golfers that are regularly playing the premium balls, I don't think brands really matter that much. I will say though that if you are hitting the "spin" premium balls during the Summer months, you are sacrificing distance and not gaining that much more around greens. The longer balls (Titleist Pro V1x and Callaway i(z) type balls) definitely give more distance and still have enough spin around the greens for any golf game. However, during the Winter months, you are probably losing distance and playability in your ball if you are not hitting the softer (more spin) type balls.
    I read the ball test article in Golf Digest and I have to admit that I'm more confused after reading it. They claim the Titleist Pro V1 to be low trajectory and high spin, something I don't completely understand.

To answer NAH's question about wanting the lower trajectory, I have always hit a high ball so anything that helps bring it down is good by me. I personally think the Titleist Pro V1 feels better than anything else when chipping and putting. It's MUCH different than the NXT Tour when hitting the short shots. The NXT Tour, however, is longer in distance with iron shots.

I have four dozen Callaway Tour i(z) balls that I still haven't warmed up to. I've gone through a dozen so I'm a long way away from using them up. We're probably talking another year or so. It's rare that I lose a ball, hit one in the trees or off a cart path so you gotta figure I'm playing one ball until I tire of it or just can't stand looking at it any longer. I play a game that is unfamiliar to most.

Irons are one of my many weaknesses as well. I'm not ready to give up on a forged iron yet, especially these 300 taylormades, I still don't get how such a small cavity back can be so long, and not punish you to bad on occasional less then perfect shots. I can't tell you how many people in the last 2 weeks go great shot, and I feel it's less then perfect, but it's right on target anyways. You must keep your eyes open for a set, and give them a try. There's a reason so many top players hated to give them up.
    I played the mp 57 for a season and wanted them to work, ended up with a wrist injury, blamed the px shafts and the clubs, and of course sold them.
    I practice with a mp 60, 6 iron in the backyard, it stays outside against the brick wall, so forged is in my blood.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I used to hate wound balls, but once they disappeared,

Last night I found a ball, possibly wound, that probably hasn't been available since the mid 90's. It was a Hogan 362LS. It flew just as well as the Pro V1, and Srixon Z-URC and Z-star. And I never found the "Soft Feel" to feel especially soft. But the Nike PD Soft -that actually feels soft.

Back in the Old Days, if you lived in California and frequently had to drive into Mexico and stay long enough to have to use Mexican gasoline, you might modify your car motor by inserting shims between the block and the cylinder head to reduce the Compression Ratio so that the inferior Mexican gasoline would not fry the pistons. So if your car had a V-8 motor that ran on U.S. high test of maybe 93 octane or so, it would come from the factory in DEE-Troyt with a 10 to 1 Compression Ratio. Down in Mexico, you would need to reduce that to maybe 7 or 7.5 to 1 for it to run without pre-ignition. And you would have to retard the timing, also. You would lose a lot of power but at least you would not burn up the motor.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

My observations over the years lead me to the conclusion that the reason some guys are high ball hitters is that they generate more clubhead speed than the low ball hitters and hit all their clubs farther. What sets apart a real player from just a freak of nature with high clubhead speed is that the high ball hitting player knows how to hit a powerful low shot also. Tiger Woods' "Stinger" is just a sawed-off abbreviated follow-through punch shot that bores through the wind just off the ground. A real distance-eater that makes you invincible in the wind.

I have always been a low ball hitter and it is because I lack adequate clubhead speed. So I need to prop up my trajectories with high flying balls and flexible, low kick point, flexible tipped shafts. Now when I am hitting off perfect turf like some of those Bermuda fairways down in Florida, I can elevate irons quite nicely. But around here, the turf is usually thin and the ground underlying has a lot of clay which is hard on the body if you get it a bit fat.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Back in the Old Days, if you lived in California and frequently had to drive into Mexico and stay long enough to have to use Mexican gasoline, you might modify your car motor by inserting shims between the block and the cylinder head to reduce the Compression Ratio so that the inferior Mexican gasoline would not fry the pistons. So if your car had a V-8 motor that ran on U.S. high test of maybe 93 octane or so, it would come from the factory in DEE-Troyt with a 10 to 1 Compression Ratio. Down in Mexico, you would need to reduce that to maybe 7 or 7.5 to 1 for it to run without pre-ignition. And you would have to retard the timing, also. You would lose a lot of power but at least you would not burn up the motor.
    In 1976 I went with a neighbor and still friend who campaigned a super pro drag car 10.90 index. I think it was called the hot rod nationals then.
    It was in Martin Michigan us 131 drag strip I believe, big event, all the big hitters were there Don Prudomme, the snake mongoose in the Army car, Grumpy Bill Jenkins, Bob Glidden in a Plymouth Arrow the only year he ran a Mopar. Pro stock ran small blocks at the time and Bob Glidden could make a Briggs and Stratton run.
    It was a big deal to break the 8.50 barrier. They gave Bob a 100 pound weight break as he was running over 20 cubic inches less then the field 355 or 358 was the limit he was running a 331.
    He comes comes out on the first pass and runs I think a 8.38 smashing the 8.50 barrier. The field is devastated. He calmly pulls his car into the hauler to not be seen till the next round.
    I remember a spacer between the head and block I thought was strange, and didn't understand, as I flipped wrenches at the age of 13 on the super pro Camaro and could already put a smallblock Chevy together.
    Glidden of course killed the field with the Arrow and they quickly put the 100 pounds back on his car by the next event, in fact I think they tried to add more unsuccessfully.
    I always thought about campaigning a stock eliminator car, but thought it was unfair the Camaro could run more cubic inches and weigh less then a dart or duster. They tried to factor the mopars out of racing.
    Anyways the following year ford kissed and made up with Bob Glidden and he campaigned a t-bird or fairmont, and went on to win for them, but I believe they raised the cubic inch limit to 500.
    They tried to do the same thing to NASCAR as they hated the mopars. In the late 60s the hemi dominated, NASCAR said no
    more hemis, so they just did it with the wedge motors in the early 70s usually finishing 1,2 and 3 with ford or Chevy next.
    Then they said no more bigblocks only smallbocks. Mopar scrambled and had to rob some of the blocks out of the AAR Cudas or the TA Challengers as they were the only motors you could make strong enough and put 4 bolt mains in the bottom end.
    I know as I had one for over a decade that Diamond racing engines built for the good ol boys a 358 cubic inch motor built to run all day at 8,000 rpm. I tried to find the AAR Cuda through the registry that they robbed the motor from to no avail, as it would have increased the value of that car tremendously.

I understand the need to keep the ball down in strong wind, but in good conditions a high ball flight is where its at. A high long iron that just keeps climbing before gently falling out of the sky and landing softly on the green is one of the greatest sights in golf. Watch a tournament and notice how many oohs and aahs the guys who hit their long irons get when they launch a skyball into a par 5. The shortknocker low ball players will only get polite applause for hitting a par 5 in 2 with a fw or hybrid, but the applause will be thunderous if Tiger sails a high long iron over the traps to the same spot. Back in the day Norman hit his long itons stupid high and had a huge advantage over the field by being able to stop his ball on hard greens from a long way out.

I understand the need to keep the ball down in strong wind, but in good conditions a high ball flight is where its at. A high long iron that just keeps climbing before gently falling out of the sky and landing softly on the green is one of the greatest sights in golf. Watch a tournament and notice how many oohs and aahs the guys who hit their long irons get when they launch a skyball into a par 5. The shortknocker low ball players will only get polite applause for hitting a par 5 in 2 with a fw or hybrid, but the applause will be thunderous if Tiger sails a high long iron over the traps to the same spot. Back in the day Norman hit his long itons stupid high and had a huge advantage over the field by being able to stop his ball on hard greens from a long way out.
    That was a topic today, as we've had no rain in quite awhile and nothing stops on the greens, huge bounces, low ball hitters are screwed.
    I hit such a high ball that just checks up and stops, at least with my irons. The others in the group were asking how I get those shots to stop? I told them I put a lot more spin on the ball. When the truth is I take a club or two less, and hit it further, and higher then them. Only with the 8-4 irons, I take some off my wedge shots in close. I don't try and kill a wedge nor do I hit my sand wedge 80 yards or more like some people.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    What level of play are we taliking about here?

I'm just curious to know where ball becomes a noticeable factor.

I used to hate wound balls, but once they disappeared, I never found any major name brand ball that detracted noticeably from my game.

At what approximate level of competence or achievement does this kick in, seriously?
    Here's an example...I can hit a 9iron consistenly about 150m with the higher compression balls I am playing with spin. As soon as I take out a Titleist NXT Tour I lose 5-6meters(this increases with each club up to 3i) Taking out the Diablo HX I lost about 10meters.

With what FD is saying...For some reason the ProV1x does go far,But this ball is very hard to compress. I just feel it disturbing playing with a ball that has major cut's in it.....

That was a topic today, as we've had no rain in quite awhile and nothing stops on the greens, huge bounces, low ball hitters are screwed.
    I hit such a high ball that just checks up and stops, at least with my irons. The others in the group were asking how I get those shots to stop? I told them I put a lot more spin on the ball. When the truth is I take a club or two less, and hit it further, and higher then them. Only with the 8-4 irons, I take some off my wedge shots in close. I don't try and kill a wedge nor do I hit my sand wedge 80 yards or more like some people.
    I get best results by dropping back and really trying to kill the bal with the long and mid irons too. I can hit a controlled wedge or short iron, but with the long irons the harder I go at it the straighter and hidher it goes.

I get best results by dropping back and really trying to kill the bal with the long and mid irons too. I can hit a controlled wedge or short iron, but with the long irons the harder I go at it the straighter and hidher it goes.
    Exactly, I aim right of the flag and draw the ball in, or a slight pull.
    One guy in the group had 4 iron the other had a 5, I used a 6 and went long, could have used a 7. If I baby a iron shot its a weak fade, which is fine for certain shots. The weaker the lofts as in 9 iron down, the easier I have to hit, as the ball flight is way to high.
    I can't imagine how high fluffy hits a 150 meter 9 iron.

One guy in the group had 4 iron the other had a 5, I used a 6 and went long, could have used a 7. If I baby a iron shot its a weak fade, which is fine for certain shots. The weaker the lofts as in 9 iron down, the easier I have to hit, as the ball flight is way to high.
    If I baby lon irons I get the push block to the right too. Norman has often said that one of his biggest regrets in tournament golf was his decision to pull 4 iron on his approach to 18 at Augusta in 86. He tried to hit easy 4 instead of jumping on a 5 and hit a weak push block to the right and missed the playoff with a guy who in all likelihood had used everything his 46 year old body had to give on the back nine and would have been long odds if it had gone to extra holes. Who knows what may have happened that year if Norman had gone with 5 and won that tournament. That was the first real dagger in his heart and the fact he still talks of it shows it really affected him. When you nlook back at the shark's career, you just shake your head in disbelief that he didn't win a green jacket, and shake your head in even greater disbelief that he only won two majors and none in the US. He was good enough for long enough to win 10 plus majors. He was the number one player in the world for about 300 odd weeks but only 2 majors? Harington has won 3 majors without ever getting to number 1 in the world.

Seriously I pitch a 3iron 210meter(depending lie) And I can get about a meter or two backspin on it.When it draws It wont go further then a meter or two from the pitch mark.Sh!t even with my driver the ball gets no roll...(thats in the process of being fixed...)

Seriously I pitch a 3iron 210meter(depending lie) And I can get about a meter or two backspin on it.When it draws It wont go further then a meter or two from the pitch mark.Sh!t even with my driver the ball gets no roll...(thats in the process of being fixed...)
    All I can say is that you must play some shitt courses. Even softish greens in Oz wont allow backspin on anything longer than an 8 iron. I hit a high ball with loads of spin and never get a 3 iron backing up. Never.

All I can say is that you must play some shitt courses. Even softish greens in Oz wont allow backspin on anything longer than an 8 iron. I hit a high ball with loads of spin and never get a 3 iron backing up. Never.
    There's only one links course here close by where I struggle to get backspin.Even on a PW your ball lies next to your pitch mark.I hit a par5 there in 2 with a 3r from 210 out of the rough and the ball still landed very very softly,its comforting to know your long iron shots will land softly,but I would prefer not having that much spin.But I hit my irons very high,I have heard/read that the mizuno mp33's with the s300 shaft have a very high ball flight,combine that with swing speed and yes I am hitting to high.This set was made for me when i was +-14(10 years back),I assume the fitter thought I would struggle to get the ball in the air

There's only one links course here close by where I struggle to get backspin.Even on a PW your ball lies next to your pitch mark.I hit a par5 there in 2 with a 3r from 210 out of the rough and the ball still landed very very softly,its comforting to know your long iron shots will land softly,but I would prefer not having that much spin.But I hit my irons very high,I have heard/read that the mizuno mp33's with the s300 shaft have a very high ball flight,combine that with swing speed and yes I am hitting to high.This set was made for me when i was +-14(10 years back),I assume the fitter thought I would struggle to get the ball in the air
    If you are hitting 210 metre 3 irons that land like a butterfly with sore feet you are definitely not hitting too high. You are doing something right, dont try to change anything.

If you are hitting 210 metre 3 irons that land like a butterfly with sore feet you are definitely not hitting too high. You are doing something right, dont try to change anything.
    Makes club selection little bit easier Just need to be hitting those irons little bit consistent then I'll be happy. My driver is a b!tch tough...Its going way to high

Thread Information