|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Test Drive My newly Acquired Cobra S2 Iron

Anyone plays this club?

The set came last week , almost brand new , the 4i is still in a plastic wrapper.

Took 5i S2 and MX-23 out for a test drive. Both 38' and 25* loft (standard for S2, I bent MX-23 5i from 26* to 25* loft)

Large bucket (120 balls)... I hit the first 10 balls with my 60* LW to stretch out my muscles, the rest of balls I alternate between S2 and MX-23 irons... For my swing, Cobra S2 is very very good, Even with a stronger loft, it gets PLENTY of height (my friends told me the same thing with his S9 steel stiff shaft). Its trajectory is higher than that of MX-23 and yet at least as long (if not 5-10 yds longer, definitely not shorter)... A definite keeper. I am going to play in a charity golf tourney next Sat and I will bring with me 6i-PW.

What I also like is that it's buttery soft feel - close to forged iron - and not harsh like cast iron clubs. So it's a winner

Will eBay the new 4i and barely used GW because I don't need them. I love my Lajolla Knife 50* GW

I would keep the 4 iron and the gap wedge (if it came with the set) instead of selling them now. A 4-GW set would be a good bit more valuable when you get tired of them and decide to put them on Ebay.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I would keep the 4 iron and the gap wedge (if it came with the set) instead of selling them now. A 4-GW set would be a good bit more valuable when you get tired of them and decide to put them on Ebay.
    Thanks Mongrel... good suggestion, I just hate to keep things around that I don't use. Yes, they came with the set. I really like this S2 set... Next charity golf tourney on Sat will prove or disprove

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    Thanks Mongrel... good suggestion, I just hate to keep things around that I don't use. Yes, they came with the set. I really like this S2 set... Next charity golf tourney on Sat will prove or disprove

PK, I now own the Cobra S3 set, 3-PW, GW & SW. NS Pro 1030 Stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    S3 Max or Pro?

The 2013 Cobra stuff looks really interesting... Can't wait to get my hands on the Amp Cell Pro Ions and the Amp Pro driver... I've always liked Cobra, but the direction over the years since Norman sold the company wasn't the best, looks like they may be back, now if they could just cool it with the orange...

FD... I believe U will enjoy that set. OP plays Cobra S3 forged irons and he likes them a lot,... how is that for the guy who swears by Mizuno GFF? I hit my S2 with higher trajectory and longer than my MX-23, no doubt about that one... My friend has the S9 set and he swears by that. In fact, we will have a test playing at the Pilgrim's Oak on Sat 10/27 where we will compare performance of S2 vs. S9. Enjoy yours

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    S3 Max or Pro?
    Neither, I belive. I think these are simply the Cobra S3 irons. The set I purchased was a special order of 3-PW, GW & SW with Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cord grips, Nippon 1030 Stiff shafts. They looked like they had been played maybe two times. I posted a photo in this thread so let me know if it doesn't show.

Never in my life would I imagine purchasing these irons. I had never given them so much as a glance before. But, I saw them at the great price of $249 and I had a 20% off coupon as well as a $10 off coupon, meaning I could take them home for $205 including tax.

After trying several other irons in the simulator I decided to try these and it was amazing. It's as if the shaft and head are matched perfectly to my swing and tempo. They deliver ridiculously long distance as well. Most importantly, I love the way they felt, which is surprising based on the way they look.

They are in the GI category but they don't have wide soles or large offset. In fact, looking down at them they look pretty streamlined, like the Cobra AMP.

They had the S3 driver there as well for $79.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z cobra s3.JPG 
Views:	240 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	2921  

Neither, I belive. I think these are simply the Cobra S3 irons. The set I purchased was a special order of 3-PW, GW & SW with Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cord grips, Nippon 1030 Stiff shafts. They looked like they had been played maybe two times. I posted a photo in this thread so let me know if it doesn't show.

Never in my life would I imagine purchasing these irons. I had never given them so much as a glance before. But, I saw them at the great price of $249 and I had a 20% off coupon as well as a $10 off coupon, meaning I could take them home for $205 including tax.

After trying several other irons in the simulator I decided to try these and it was amazing. It's as if the shaft and head are matched perfectly to my swing and tempo. They deliver ridiculously long distance as well. Most importantly, I love the way they felt, which is surprising based on the way they look.

They are in the GI category but they don't have wide soles or large offset. In fact, looking down at them they look pretty streamlined, like the Cobra AMP.

That's very good price for 10 clubs... U will like them. The loft of Cobra S (series... S9, S3, S2 etc..) are 2 degrees strong than others , but you get plenty of height and longer

FD... as I said... very very good price for 10 clubs
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
    Last edited by Pky6471; 10-20-2012 at 02:21 AM.

FD... I believe U will enjoy that set. OP plays Cobra S3 forged irons and he likes them a lot,... how is that for the guy who swears by Mizuno GFF? I hit my S2 with higher trajectory and longer than my MX-23, no doubt about that one... My friend has the S9 set and he swears by that. In fact, we will have a test playing at the Pilgrim's Oak on Sat 10/27 where we will compare performance of S2 vs. S9. Enjoy yours
    What shafts do you have in your S2's?
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

What shafts do you have in your S2's?
    Aldila DVS-2 65g R-flex ... I don't know the difference between that and other Aldila shafts, but I always like Aldila brand, especially NV green for driver and 3W or 5W... You still can hit harder so R flex may not fit you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0151.JPG 
Views:	223 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	2922  

Quote Originally Posted by hubijerk View Post
    The 2013 Cobra stuff looks really interesting... Can't wait to get my hands on the Amp Cell Pro Ions and the Amp Pro driver... I've always liked Cobra, but the direction over the years since Norman sold the company wasn't the best, looks like they may be back, now if they could just cool it with the orange...
    Agree about the orange. Some of the new gear looks great but we don't all want to look like Rickie Fowler.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

You're wrong about OP Pky. He doesn't swear by GFF. He acknowledges that they are quality forgings but argues that there are others that are at least as good and some that are superior. He has also stated numerous times that the MP series have too thick a topline and are too long in the clubhead for his liking. I imagine the Cobra S3 Pro irons he likes so much have a much more compact clubhead than typical Mizuno MP irons.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    You're wrong about OP Pky. He doesn't swear by GFF. He acknowledges that they are quality forgings but argues that there are others that are at least as good and some that are superior. He has also stated numerous times that the MP series have too thick a topline and are too long in the clubhead for his liking. I imagine the Cobra S3 Pro irons he likes so much have a much more compact clubhead than typical Mizuno MP irons.
    U are correct... my bad....

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Spot on Kiwi. You take it all in don't you!
    The s3 pro cobras certainly do have a more compact head. They are perfect to my eye. Pretty thin topline and minimal offset.
    The feel when struck well is absolutely pure also. It makes it really hard to give any other irons a run in the bag now. Quite a dilemma.
    I am pretty much stuck on combo sets now. I have taken FD's advice and hoed a set of Hogan FTX irons. Not sure they can get past the range with the s3's in the picture. They will have to be pretty special.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I am ready for another set of irons and PKY's S2 acquisition has gotten me to do some research. I have never really hit irons with Nippon shafts but read that they may be a bit less stiff and more lively than the True Temper super lights. How do the Nippon 1030 shafts feel? I may try to snare a set of S2's with 1030 regular flex shafts. Some reviewers call them very long but I guess a 43 or
    44* pitching wedge would be longer than my Mizuno PW's. The gap wedge must be a 47 or 48*.

I am ready for another set of irons and PKY's S2 acquisition has gotten me to do some research. I have never really hit irons with Nippon shafts but read that they may be a bit less stiff and more lively than the True Temper super lights. How do the Nippon 1030 shafts feel? I may try to snare a set of S2's with 1030 regular flex shafts. Some reviewers call them very long but I guess a 43 or
    44* pitching wedge would be longer than my Mizuno PW's. The gap wedge must be a 47 or 48*.
    Sir Mongrel,

Nippons feel good enough but the ball flight is a tad high. The 1030H is better than the 950GH. The ones I had (but sold already) came with the 1030H in stiff.

Personally, I think my Callaway X-18 Pro Series irons with FCM Rifle 5.5 are some of the best looking and feeling cavity backs I've tried. Ball flight is penetrating, the look at address is sublime and distance gets you up on the doo-hickey.

The S2 and S3 are fine irons. I have seen the S3 in a high polish version at Golf Galaxy, instead of the more common shiny black finish that you'll find at most golf outlets.

I was at golf mart the other day and spotted a set of Cleveland CG Gold irons and tried out the 7 iron in the cage. Man, that thing felt pretty good. Problem is, it's Cleveland. Only two good things have come out of Cleveland....Lebron and Boomer.

Sir Mongrel,

Nippons feel good enough but the ball flight is a tad high. The 1030H is better than the 950GH. The ones I had (but sold already) came with the 1030H in stiff.

Personally, I think my Callaway X-18 Pro Series irons with FCM Rifle 5.5 are some of the best looking and feeling cavity backs I've tried. Ball flight is penetrating, the look at address is sublime and distance gets you up on the doo-hickey.

The S2 and S3 are fine irons. I have seen the S3 in a high polish version at Golf Galaxy, instead of the more common shiny black finish that you'll find at most golf outlets.

I was at golf mart the other day and spotted a set of Cleveland CG Gold irons and tried out the 7 iron in the cage. Man, that thing felt pretty good. Problem is, it's Cleveland. Only two good things have come out of Cleveland....Lebron and Boomer.
    Thanks for your impressions. I tend to hit irons low anyway so the Nippons should be good. What I'm looking for is an iron shaft that is pretty light with a stiff enough tip not to wimp out at impact through heavy rough or being beat down on a bit off hardpan but still flexible enough to bend slightly as I transition down from the top of my swing and then lively enough to kick through as my weight moves totally on my left foot. But flexible enough so that I don't even have to consciously make any move to load it at the top.

On Cleveland: I remember back in the early 1970's there was a Ford V-8 referred to as "The Cleveland". I think its cylinder heads were specially designed and made to flow more gas/air mixture into the intake to make more horsepower quicker. A cousin of mine had an electric medium blue fastback Torino and it had one of those Cleveland motors in it. I think it was a 351 cubic inch guzzler. I have one Cleveland club currently residing in my bag. It is a Launcher steel headed 19* 5 wood. I had a couple of different shafts in it but finally put the flexy Fuji faux gold shaft that it came with into it. After aligning it to FLO, of course, which it wasn't when it left the factory. Why these golf club factories can't spine align and FLO their offerings before they are foisted off to the public is beyond me.

Thanks for your impressions. I tend to hit irons low anyway so the Nippons should be good. What I'm looking for is an iron shaft that is pretty light with a stiff enough tip not to wimp out at impact through heavy rough or being beat down on a bit off hardpan but still flexible enough to bend slightly as I transition down from the top of my swing and then lively enough to kick through as my weight moves totally on my left foot. But flexible enough so that I don't even have to consciously make any move to load it at the top.

On Cleveland: I remember back in the early 1970's there was a Ford V-8 referred to as "The Cleveland". I think its cylinder heads were specially designed and made to flow more gas/air mixture into the intake to make more horsepower quicker. A cousin of mine had an electric medium blue fastback Torino and it had one of those Cleveland motors in it. I think it was a 351 cubic inch guzzler. I have one Cleveland club currently residing in my bag. It is a Launcher steel headed 19* 5 wood. I had a couple of different shafts in it but finally put the flexy Fuji faux gold shaft that it came with into it. After aligning it to FLO, of course, which it wasn't when it left the factory. Why these golf club factories can't spine align and FLO their offerings before they are foisted off to the public is beyond me.
    I look for the exact same thing in an iron shaft. I know I've mentioned ZZ Lite before but it is truly the only shaft I've tried that feels absolutely perfect for my swing. It's light, firm flex but has a soft tip. The only problem is that it only comes with Ping Eye 2 irons which obviously don't suit everyone's eye. I wish they'd come out with an Eye 2 with a PW that is 46 degrees in loft and then spaced accordingly by 4* throughout the rest of the irons. Maybe a little less offset as well.

I was looking on 3balls and they have a set of Rapture V2 irons with Z-Z65 that are the Japanese version, meaning less offset and a narrower sole. But, $459 is too high to pay for them.

I just had the most used 6 of my 2002 Callaway BB OS Graphites regripped from originals when bought in 2002.

I also resurrected and had a fat grip put on a Cobra S2 "optica" putter I have had for year. I will use that instead of my Scotty Newport. I like the better visual. I took a putting lesson yesterday, almost 2 hours with a friend joining me in the lesson. After fixing our strokes, we three had a putting contest around the green. Kevin won, but I think I made a quantum leap in putting ability--from simply better technique. I learned how to hold everything still and stroke the putter in one piece from shoulders down. Will work on putting routinely now that my full shots are decent enough to hit fairways and reach greens in regulation.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf View Post
    I just had the most used 6 of my 2002 Callaway BB OS Graphites regripped from originals when bought in 2002.

I also resurrected and had a fat grip put on a Cobra S2 "optica" putter I have had for year. I will use that instead of my Scotty Newport. I like the better visual. I took a putting lesson yesterday, almost 2 hours with a friend joining me in the lesson. After fixing our strokes, we three had a putting contest around the green. Kevin won, but I think I made a quantum leap in putting ability--from simply better technique. I learned how to hold everything still and stroke the putter in one piece from shoulders down. Will work on putting routinely now that my full shots are decent enough to hit fairways and reach greens in regulation.

Larry
    Putting is "The Last Frontier."

I'm sneaky good at putting. Most of the people I play with don't notice my putting because they are too busy being amazed by my long game. As most of you know, my driving is the best part of my game. I'm fairly long and hit it right down the middle almost every single time. When I miss it's the light rough. My iron game is almost as good with me hitting virtually every green I look at.

My putting, however, is often overlooked. I'm an excellent lag putter. Rarely do I three putt. I should make more putts between 9 and 18 feet. If there is any weakness in my putting it would be just that. Also, on occassion I have been known to miss a four footer. It happens once every 108 holes. Yes, I have computed this statistic.

I use a Ping Ally 2 putter. I've tried others but no other manufacturer seems to understand the art of the putt the way Ping does. I would never use a Cobra putter, much less a Scotty Cameron. The pros get them for free but anyone foolish enough to purchase a Cameron on their own can't be the sharpest tool in the shed.

Well gents, I must go. I've got places to be, clubs to ho' and chicks to entertain. Life is good and it's only getting better.

Cheers.

I'm sneaky good at putting. Most of the people I play with don't notice my putting because they are too busy being amazed by my long game. As most of you know, my driving is the best part of my game. I'm fairly long and hit it right down the middle almost every single time. When I miss it's the light rough. My iron game is almost as good with me hitting virtually every green I look at.

My putting, however, is often overlooked. I'm an excellent lag putter. Rarely do I three putt. I should make more putts between 9 and 18 feet. If there is any weakness in my putting it would be just that. Also, on occassion I have been known to miss a four footer. It happens once every 108 holes. Yes, I have computed this statistic.

I use a Ping Ally 2 putter. I've tried others but no other manufacturer seems to understand the art of the putt the way Ping does. I would never use a Cobra putter, much less a Scotty Cameron. The pros get them for free but anyone foolish enough to purchase a Cameron on their own can't be the sharpest tool in the shed.

Well gents, I must go. I've got places to be, clubs to ho' and chicks to entertain. Life is good and it's only getting better.

Cheers.
    With all of these abilities, why is it you're a 5 HC?

With all of these abilities, why is it you're a 5 HC?
    Given all the different drivers and irons he plays, it is a wonder that he can play to a 5.

Given all the different drivers and irons he plays, it is a wonder that he can play to a 5.
    Thank you for answering Poe's foolish question. If I played the same irons, driver and wedges week in and week out I'd be scratch for sure. Why do I do it? I love a challenge.

Poe, anytime you wanna' come down here and challenge me to a match you just let me know. All you'll need to do is set aside 3 hours 'cause I'd a won on the 12th hole. Word.

Thank you for answering Poe's foolish question. If I played the same irons, driver and wedges week in and week out I'd be scratch for sure. Why do I do it? I love a challenge.

Poe, anytime you wanna' come down here and challenge me to a match you just let me know. All you'll need to do is set aside 3 hours 'cause I'd a won on the 12th hole. Word.
    Wouldn't it be better to meet somewhere half way in between the two of us? Maybe, I don't know, Bandon Dunes? Or Somewhere that neither of us have played so we're on equal footing?

It was a serious question. You have an awesome long game, great long irons, chip well, and a sneaky good putter. Where do you loose your shots? Is it really using different clubs? If so, crazy.

Mines driving. I generally loose 2-20 strokes a round. (Kidding on the 20 but sometimes it feels this way.) Good with mid irons, wedges, and chipping. Putting is streaky. I'm not as good at long putts as I am at chips and I hate putting up tiered greens, down is not a problem. I don't know why but I always talk myself out off putting hard enough on steep hills; I almost always leave them short.

Wouldn't it be better to meet somewhere half way in between the two of us? Maybe, I don't know, Bandon Dunes? Or Somewhere that neither of us have played so we're on equal footing?

It was a serious question. You have an awesome long game, great long irons, chip well, and a sneaky good putter. Where do you loose your shots? Is it really using different clubs? If so, crazy.

Mines driving. I generally loose 2-20 strokes a round. (Kidding on the 20 but sometimes it feels this way.) Good with mid irons, wedges, and chipping. Putting is streaky. I'm not as good at long putts as I am at chips and I hate putting up tiered greens, down is not a problem. I don't know why but I always talk myself out off putting hard enough on steep hills; I almost always leave them short.

I've said it on these boards before that my game from 20 to 80 yards out is really bad compared to everything else. Another weakness would be my bunker game. Sometimes I'm good but my round-killing shot is the skull from the bunker. A skull out of the sand usually ends up in double bogey or worse because sometimes the ball goes OB.

Lately, however, my game from 20 to 80 yards out has improved. I'm using my whole body more and I'm taking a longer backswing and a more fluid stroke. Works pretty well but takes commitment and guts.

I have had a few rounds where I have never missed a drive.

I've said it on these boards before that my game from 20 to 80 yards out is really bad compared to everything else. Another weakness would be my bunker game. Sometimes I'm good but my round-killing shot is the skull from the bunker. A skull out of the sand usually ends up in double bogey or worse because sometimes the ball goes OB.

Lately, however, my game from 20 to 80 yards out has improved. I'm using my whole body more and I'm taking a longer backswing and a more fluid stroke. Works pretty well but takes commitment and guts.

I have a cure for your bunker skulling but you are probably not going to like it. Nifty sort of steered me in the direction I went. A sand wedge dedicated soley to playing out of harder sand surfaces. I found my hard sand tool at Play it Again for about $11.99. It is the Nickent ARC wedge in my sig. It has a pretty upright lie but the club guy at GG refused to try to bend it flat because he has seen them snap before. That's OK because the last time I was in hard packed sand when it was still warm, I hit my third shot into a bunker from about 135 out on a par 5 that I tripled the last time I played the course. I was about 30 feet from the green with the hole cut another 30 feet away. The bunker had about a two foot lip and I just took a gentle half swing hitting about a half inch behind the ball and the ball sort of climbed up on the face and sort of floated about 35 feet and rolled to about a half inch from the hole (on the high side). A true nudge-in par. Now this club is about useless on almost any chip or pitch. The leading edge has sort of a prow that protrudes from the clubface a bit which is what seems to plow through the hard stuff. In fact, before playing this wedge, I hit balls off baked mud on a school baseball field. If you find one of them, it will probably have the True Temper Spinner shaft on it. What a trip.

Mines 50 to 90 yards but once i get within pitching range, I can fair pretty well. But then, why are you between 20 and 80 yards? Either you had a flubbed shot or you have course management of a 15 'capper.

I was watching Sean Folley's video's the other day and he had a take on short game chipping and pitching the was similar to Pelze but it made more sense to me. He suggested doing what you said about using your body but to vary your back swing to half and 3/4's. For each vary your finish - one low, one high, and one normal. He never said anything about writing distances like Pelze, but he just said observe the shot trajectory and rollout.

Mines 50 to 90 yards but once i get within pitching range, I can fair pretty well. But then, why are you between 20 and 80 yards? Either you had a flubbed shot or you have course management of a 15 'capper.

I was watching Sean Folley's video's the other day and he had a take on short game chipping and pitching the was similar to Pelze but it made more sense to me. He suggested doing what you said about using your body but to vary your back swing to half and 3/4's. For each vary your finish - one low, one high, and one normal. He never said anything about writing distances like Pelze, but he just said observe the shot trajectory and rollout.
    In one of my old Golf Magazines, there's a spread about one of the middle of the road PGA Tour players--maybe it was D.J. Trahan, who dialed in all his short wedges so precisely that he wrote down several distances with each club on a 3 x 5 card that he carried with him on the course. It went something like this:

Lob wedge: 1/2 swing both feet flat-- 40 yards
    1/2 swing right foot up -- 50 yards
    3/4 swing both feet flat -- 65 yards
    3/4 swing right foot up -- 75 yards
    full swing -- 90 yards

etc.

I've tried hitting pitches like that with both feet flat with half and 3/4 swings with several wedges and it worked on course to the extent that I remembered what I had practiced. I should probably find a flat closely mown field and spend a good bit of time doing it again and then writing it down.

Before I played the last time, I spent some time with my Vokey 52 that I had bent flat dialing in half and 3/4 shots. My targets were 55 gallon trash drums on a deserted athletic field that were on a kid's football field with 5 yard chalk lines. That worked very well and I had the best pitching round in a long time. Two 3-putts and a brain-fart on the second shot of a par 5 kept me from breaking 80.

got that right! ha And like Jack Nicklaus, I hate to practice putting because it is boring and it hurts my back.

So instead of doing it wrong enough to become good at it, I decided to learn how to do it "right" and cut that short. Seems prudent to build on the success of others, do what the best does. So I took a lesson from a pro who is a great putter. He has me setup correctly and DON"T MOVE anything but my shoulders and arms, zero wrist flex. That fat grip really helps. Also very helpful is a simple "tick-tock" stroke with short follow-through. I get a good roll now. With very light grip pressure and a few practice putts while looking at the hole, I get the distance right. And distance is about 90% of putting.

See you out there!

Larry
    Last edited by Larryrsf; 10-31-2012 at 04:10 PM.

In one of my old Golf Magazines, there's a spread about one of the middle of the road PGA Tour players--maybe it was D.J. Trahan, who dialed in all his short wedges so precisely that he wrote down several distances with each club on a 3 x 5 card that he carried with him on the course. It went something like this:

Lob wedge: 1/2 swing both feet flat-- 40 yards
    1/2 swing right foot up -- 50 yards
    3/4 swing both feet flat -- 65 yards
    3/4 swing right foot up -- 75 yards
    full swing -- 90 yards

etc.

I've tried hitting pitches like that with both feet flat with half and 3/4 swings with several wedges and it worked on course to the extent that I remembered what I had practiced. I should probably find a flat closely mown field and spend a good bit of time doing it again and then writing it down.

Before I played the last time, I spent some time with my Vokey 52 that I had bent flat dialing in half and 3/4 shots. My targets were 55 gallon trash drums on a deserted athletic field that were on a kid's football field with 5 yard chalk lines. That worked very well and I had the best pitching round in a long time. Two 3-putts and a brain-fart on the second shot of a par 5 kept me from breaking 80.
    See, I tried the whole 1/2, 3/4 with different wedges, blah, blah, blah. I couldn't get it to work for me. I'm better off using one club, be it the 52 or 58 and work with it until I can make it do what I want. I'll hit it high, low, cut, draw, etc. That way it's more like part of my arm/brain. I don't have to think, look down at some chart, ok is that a 52*, 3/4 high finish, foot down or is it a 58* 3/4 low finish, foot up? I just look at the shot, think about what I want it to do, a couple of practice swings looking at the target and visualizing the shot, then go. Too much thinking just breeds uncertainty and I'm bound to hit a fat chili dip or a blade.

But, hey, if it works for you great. The only real advice I have about chipping / pitching is to take a shorter back swing and be aggressive through the ball with proper rhythm. Deceleration will kill every chip or putt.

See, I tried the whole 1/2, 3/4 with different wedges, blah, blah, blah. I couldn't get it to work for me. I'm better off using one club, be it the 52 or 58 and work with it until I can make it do what I want. I'll hit it high, low, cut, draw, etc. That way it's more like part of my arm/brain. I don't have to think, look down at some chart, ok is that a 52*, 3/4 high finish, foot down or is it a 58* 3/4 low finish, foot up? I just look at the shot, think about what I want it to do, a couple of practice swings looking at the target and visualizing the shot, then go. Too much thinking just breeds uncertainty and I'm bound to hit a fat chili dip or a blade.

But, hey, if it works for you great. The only real advice I have about chipping / pitching is to take a shorter back swing and be aggressive through the ball with proper rhythm. Deceleration will kill every chip or putt.
    I didn't do the charting thing. I just used that 52* on almost every shot farther than 30 feet from the hole. On the longer ones in the 30-75 yard range, I just tried to visualize one of the 55 gallon drum trash cans. Worked pretty well. On my other regular field, there are soccer goals that are approx. 100 yards apart and two of the fields back to back separated by about 30 yards. So on 100 yard shots up to 200 yard shots, my targets are the soccer goals. I figure a good iron shot is one that lands within a 10 yard radius of the mid point between the goal ends and right under the crossbar. Sometimes I will hit what I think is a perfect shot only to lose the ball but eventually find it nestled in the goal webbing just behind the crossbar. So I try to visualize a soccer goal sitting directly over the center of the green or over the hole if it is cut on one side of the green.

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf View Post
    got that right! ha And like Jack Nicklaus, I hate to practice putting because it is boring and it hurts my back.

So instead of doing it wrong enough to become good at it, I decided to learn how to do it "right" and cut that short. Seems prudent to build on the success of others, do what the best does. So I took a lesson from a pro who is a great putter. He has me setup correctly and DON"T MOVE anything but my shoulders and arms, zero wrist flex. That fat grip really helps. Also very helpful is a simple "tick-tock" stroke with short follow-through. I get a good roll now. With very light grip pressure and a few practice putts while looking at the hole, I get the distance right. And distance is about 90% of putting.

See you out there!

Larry
    Paralysis by analysis!

Adjusting Lie Angle of Cobra S2

Took my S2 irons to the PGA professional at Dicks to adjust them to 1*-2* upright lie, When he put it in the tool he realized that he could damage the top plastic insert,,, So I contacted Cobra and this is what they told me;
    ================================
    Thanks for playing Cobra!

Having come over from Acushnet to CobraPUMA Golf since the S2's were made we do not have the capability to adjust those irons. (There was a special tool that held that insert in during loft/lie angle adjustment that we simply do not have. We're quite sure that Acushnet no longer has that capability either, unfortunately, as you found.)

If you do try to proceed on your own with a skilled club bender, we do caution that beyond the insert issue that even when those clubs were able to be bent there was a lie adjustment restriction of +/- two degrees as anything beyond that can negatively affect the properties of the club.

Cobra Customer Care Team
    ====================================

So if someone bought S2 or S3 and needed fitting to 2* upright lie what would Cobra do?

There isn't anything we can do in-house for those older models, unfortunately.

The S2 was a model that was built before Cobra was part of CobraPUMA and we have never had the bending capability for that older model.

S3 was a bit different in that we had pre-bent heads for 2 degrees upright and flat so we could build the clubs to order.

Cobra Customer Care Team

Took my S2 irons to the PGA professional at Dicks to adjust them to 1*-2* upright lie, When he put it in the tool he realized that he could damage the top plastic insert,,, So I contacted Cobra and this is what they told me;

Having come over from Acushnet to CobraPUMA Golf since the S2's were made we do not have the capability to adjust those irons. (There was a special tool that held that insert in during loft/lie angle adjustment that we simply do not have. We're quite sure that Acushnet no longer has that capability either, unfortunately, as you found.)

If you do try to proceed on your own with a skilled club bender, we do caution that beyond the insert issue that even when those clubs were able to be bent there was a lie adjustment restriction of +/- two degrees as anything beyond that can negatively affect the properties of the club.

Cobra Customer Care Team

So if someone bought S2 or S3 and needed fitting to 2* upright lie what would Cobra do?

The S2 was a model that was built before Cobra was part of CobraPUMA and we have never had the bending capability for that older model.

S3 was a bit different in that we had pre-bent heads for 2 degrees upright and flat so we could build the clubs to order.

Cobra Customer Care Team
    Thanks for the warning. I was considering an S2 set but am probably going to try to snag a set of 2008 FP's with regular flex Aldila graphite shafts instead. Based on specs and reviews, they seem similar to the S2's and are cheaper and do not have as much plastic bling on or near the hosels.

I look forward to being armed with the jacked-up lofted chopper shovels on my way to breaking 80 again. With these sticks shall I slay the Dragon than resides in Pilgrim's Oak.

Thanks for the warning. I was considering an S2 set but am probably going to try to snag a set of 2008 FP's with regular flex Aldila graphite shafts instead. Based on specs and reviews, they seem similar to the S2's and are cheaper and do not have as much plastic bling on or near the hosels.

I look forward to being armed with the jacked-up lofted chopper shovels on my way to breaking 80 again. With these sticks shall I slay the Dragon than resides in Pilgrim's Oak.
    Mongrel... Find a nice Sat (60+ & sunny) and I could meet you at Pilgrims Oaks. 1-hr drive for me, sure it's longer for you

Cobra Customer Care Team

Cobra Customer Care Team
    They have multiple cast with different lies I would imagine. Like lie angles at standard, up 3, and down 3. That way they can cover from up 5 all the way down to down 5. This isn't just true for cobra it's true for any cast club. You risk breaking the club when you try to move a cast head more than a degree or two. That's one of the limitations of cast metal. It's brittle and not flexible. But cast heads will also hold their lie and loft angles better. So, they got that going for them.

They have multiple cast with different lies I would imagine. Like lie angles at standard, up 3, and down 3. That way they can cover from up 5 all the way down to down 5. This isn't just true for cobra it's true for any cast club. You risk breaking the club when you try to move a cast head more than a degree or two. That's one of the limitations of cast metal. It's brittle and not flexible. But cast heads will also hold their lie and loft angles better. So, they got that going for them.
    Yeah. Liary's Big Bertha 6 iron is probably the same spec as when he bought it despite years of of drills and hitting off range mats. Then again, it's Callaway so was probably out of spec to begin with.

Now where the f#ck am I?

That's what you get for buying shovels. I bent my s3 pros 4 degrees and the carbon steel was so soft the bender went a bit far and then came back. Oh I love a bit of club snobbery.
    Seriously even forged clubs can be hard to bend. It all depends on the metalurgy. I just got some hogan ftx bent and they were also soft as butter.
    How badly would the insert be damaged? My guess is if you took the risk you could bend them.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    That's what you get for buying shovels. I bent my s3 pros 4 degrees and the carbon steel was so soft the bender went a bit far and then came back. Oh I love a bit of club snobbery.
    Seriously even forged clubs can be hard to bend. It all depends on the metalurgy. I just got some hogan ftx bent and they were also soft as butter.
    How badly would the insert be damaged? My guess is if you took the risk you could bend them.
    After reading the factory specs on those S2's, their lies are already way upright compared to Mizunos. Like three or four degrees. The guys at the chain stores will probably not want to attempt to bend them but if you find a small private clubmaker, he might give it a try. You could always apply a flame to the hosel to soften it up a bit but then the plastic would probably melt.

After reading the factory specs on those S2's, their lies are already way upright compared to Mizunos. Like three or four degrees.
    I believe you are correct

S2 5i 62* lie angle
    Adams A4 5i 60.5* lie angle
    MX-23 5i 60.5* lie angle

I believe you are correct

S2 5i 62* lie angle
    Adams A4 5i 60.5* lie angle
    MX-23 5i 60.5* lie angle
    You have to include shaft length with those comparisons.

You have to include shaft length with those comparisons.
    I did some checking and the MX 23 5 iron stock length is 37.75" and the S2 (and most of the Cobra GI's) is 38". I suspect that the Mizuno specs for length are minus grips which would account for a quarter of an inch.

Thread Information