|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

wtb: digital amplifier receiver

wtb: digital amplifier receiver
    say for about $500 or so?
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

oh sure. I have a digital receiver right here! $500? NO PROBLEM!

dorkman, let me direct you to a website that may be able to help you in this matter. Posting on a seldom frequented golf forum about an obscure item may not be the best route.

www.ebay.com
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Quote Originally Posted by bethpage caddy
    dorkman
    I beg your pardon?
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Keep beggin, son.
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Keep beggin, son.

I beg your pardon?

Quote Originally Posted by alyssagolf
    Iron,

You are aware that golfreview.com is just the bastard child of a large conglomerate of pretty darn legitimate review forums, right?

I am going to assume you do not know this, so I will direct you to the audioreview.com portion of the Francis Cebedo empire: http://forums.audioreview.com/

I went to that forum a few years ago, and bastards that moderate there have $100,000 speaker systems, and crap like that... Maybe they quit, but I don't know.

Go there and ask your question.

There are only retards here, and I have no interest in your question, so I am unable to answer your question; those bastards know what what they are talking about, so you can thank me later...

Peace,

spank
    i know some of the retards (not all) here. I feel a vicarious kinship with them. I have no interest in another consumer forum that, in fact, I've known about.

I like this gr forum, mtbr.com, and 1911forum.com.

I'd rather be abused or flamed here, at the Non-Golf section, then to keep track of another forum. at least most of y'all are golfers. And If You Play Golf, You Could be a Friend kind of thing, if you're a fan of late Harvey than you know what I'm saying

so I've found out at Best Buy a good Yamaha's $700, unless I want "1080" compatiability which I don't as my TV don't "speak" that language

Awesome sunny day today, but played no golf...was riding my mt. bike for hours
    Last edited by ironman; 01-21-2007 at 08:33 PM.

no

oh sure. I have a digital receiver right here! $500? NO PROBLEM!

dorkman, let me direct you to a website that may be able to help you in this matter. Posting on a seldom frequented golf forum about an obscure item may not be the best route.

www.ebay.com
    I'd buy new and for a toy I don't know much about, not from a web site
    and you were so obvously and tritefully right about this "...may not be the best route."

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    Here's the basics:

Dolby Digital 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 are your main selections for suround sound. 5.1 = front main speakers (2), surround speakers (2), center speaker (1) and subwoofer (.1). Sub channel is also referred to as LFE. Add the numbers up and you get 5.1. 6.1 is the same, but adds a rear center speaker. 7.1 has 2 rears, 2 surrounds, 2 mains, 1 center and a sub.

THX certified receivers are made with electronic components that are screened for exacting tolerances. It adds to the cost pretty significantly.

Most new higher line receivers have HDMI switching. HDMI= High Definition Multimedia Interface. Both HD digital audio and video are carried through a single, multi-conductor cable (the cables can be quite expensive). DVI (Digital Video Interface) is a slightly older interface standard that carries video only. HDMI and DVI are compatible and you can buy adapters as necessary depending on the inputs and outputs that you have on your various components. HDMI and DVI are the only way to get the highest resolution of 1080p. The available resolutions (lowest to highest) are 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p

Component video (RCA type connection) is a digital signal as well. It will do 1080i (interlaced), but not 1080p (progressive scan). 1080p is currently the highest resolution available, but the signal sources that support it are actually pretty scarce. Blue Ray and HD DVD support it. DirecTV satellite broadcasts in 1080i as the highest resolution right now.

I have to admit, I'm not a big Yamaha fan. I've had good luck with Onkyo. My current A/V receiver is a Denon 7.1 and I like it quite well. Both those brands are available at Circuit City.

The best advice I can give is to buy the highest quality unit in your price range. A $500 Onkyo might have fewer bells and whistles than a $500 Pioneer, but it'll sound alot better (assuming you have high quality speakers!). Also, bear in mind that cables are important too, especially analog ones (think speaker wire).

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by ironman

and 1911forum.com.

I'd rather be abused or flamed here, at the Non-Golf section, then to keep track of another forum. at least most of y'all are golfers.

Awesome sunny day today, but played no golf...was riding my mt. bike for hours
    You meant to say Glocktalk.com right My condolences
    -------------------

this is a golf forum?, my mistake gentlemen I though it was a toys-R-us.
    ------

riding in circles with a diameter of 5 feet wondering how to get on the path?

hahahahaha.

HTH,

Please know that I was not referring to you when I posted that everyone here was a retard, in this thread...

Sorry Boss,

me

I was excluded in this topic of conversation to, correct?

JS

Smile Onkyo & Denon 7.1

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_h
    Here's the basics:

Dolby Digital 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 are your main selections for suround sound. 5.1 = front main speakers (2), surround speakers (2), center speaker (1) and subwoofer (.1). Sub channel is also referred to as LFE. Add the numbers up and you get 5.1. 6.1 is the same, but adds a rear center speaker. 7.1 has 2 rears, 2 surrounds, 2 mains, 1 center and a sub.

THX certified receivers are made with electronic components that are screened for exacting tolerances. It adds to the cost pretty significantly.

Most new higher line receivers have HDMI switching. HDMI= High Definition Multimedia Interface. Both HD digital audio and video are carried through a single, multi-conductor cable (the cables can be quite expensive). DVI (Digital Video Interface) is a slightly older interface standard that carries video only. HDMI and DVI are compatible and you can buy adapters as necessary depending on the inputs and outputs that you have on your various components. HDMI and DVI are the only way to get the highest resolution of 1080p. The available resolutions (lowest to highest) are 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p

Component video (RCA type connection) is a digital signal as well. It will do 1080i (interlaced), but not 1080p (progressive scan). 1080p is currently the highest resolution available, but the signal sources that support it are actually pretty scarce. Blue Ray and HD DVD support it. DirecTV satellite broadcasts in 1080i as the highest resolution right now.

I have to admit, I'm not a big Yamaha fan. I've had good luck with Onkyo. My current A/V receiver is a Denon 7.1 and I like it quite well. Both those brands are available at Circuit City.

The best advice I can give is to buy the highest quality unit in your price range. A $500 Onkyo might have fewer bells and whistles than a $500 Pioneer, but it'll sound alot better (assuming you have high quality speakers!). Also, bear in mind that cables are important too, especially analog ones (think speaker wire).

HTH
    Thanks for generously sharing your knowledge.

I do subscribe to Direct TV, btw. And my price range is now $1K

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    -------------------

this is a golf forum?, my mistake gentlemen I though it was a toys-R-us.
    ------

riding in circles with a diameter of 5 feet wondering how to get on the path?

hahahahaha.
    I do like Glock 21s, but I would not buy one. so, no glockchat 4me

Looks like I'll be finally playing some golf this weekend, btw.

-------------------
    I'll lay odds my Para Ordinance P14 will run circles around ANY Glock ALL day long.

Thanks for generously sharing your knowledge.

I do subscribe to Direct TV, btw. And my price range is now $1K
    You're welcome.

P12.45

I'll lay odds my Para Ordinance P14 will run circles around ANY Glock ALL day long.
    Para Ordinance, good taste.
    My buddy has a P12.45...a gem
    Last edited by ironman; 01-23-2007 at 10:29 PM.

Iron, I have Directv, too... I also have tivo, and a Panasonic plasma flat... Did you recently get it, and if so, did they give a 3Lnb or a 5Lnb dish?

I have some serious issues with Directv, and I may have to own them; the thing is, I have owned them so many times I feel guilty (they would move me up to level 2 or 3 immediately)...

They promised a 4mpeg(?) 5lmb dish, and they never came through... I want local channels in HD and they are denying me. I got a radio shack antenna now, and I am going on the roof tomorrow to install it...

I have all the answers... I am just venting. I should get the upgrade for free; maybe I will explain why another time...

Too much trouble to own them right now, though...

spank
    FYI

In order to get local channels in HD over the dish, you need the 5 lnb antenna AND an H20 receiver. The H10 receiver does not support locals in HD by satellite. Also, DirecTV has not completed negotiations yet with either Fox or CBS, so those networks are not available in HD over the dish (I was told that it will be after football season is over). One more thing...you only get the HD simulcast of the main programming: NOT the (-) channels that are multiplexed. For instance, many stations (most notably PBS affiliates) multiplex 4 or 5 dash channels in addition to the main programming. You will still need an OTA antenna to get them. The main benefit to the 5 lnb dish and H20 receiver combo is that it will allow you to access all the additional HD programming that DirecTV will be adding over the next 10 months or so which, as I understand it, is over 100 channels.

I know nothing about them. Look a little to much like a beretta for my likeing.

I trust my life to any Glock.

JS

I do like Glock 21s, but I would not buy one. so, no glockchat 4me

Looks like I'll be finally playing some golf this weekend, btw.
    19's, 21's, and 23's are money.

Good luck with the golf.

JS

No. You are absolutely excluded from my politeness... This may not make any sense to you; just reread it, and it may...

I do not appreciate the rudeness of a teenager on the internet...

In retrospect, I am actually quite disheartened that you have stopped being rude here on GR...

Truthfully, I have your closest family member's information, and I wish to inform them of your past antics.

Unfortunately, you are behaving like a normal kid, lately, so as an honorable man, I will not contact them until you force me to do so... Until then, well wishes...

I remain,

spank

P.S. Golfaholic, I will own you like this dog with this poor little girl that looks an awful lot like you... Of course, I would punch the person in the mouth that was taking this picture instead of helping the girl to safety, but you get the point golfaholic; I am the dog, and you are the little girl...

I am sure the girl is okay. Dogs gotta hump something, if I may so figuratively and metaphorically reply... Golfaholic, please give me a reason...

If you care to skim through my last..lets say...200 posts you should see that I stopped being so rude to people a while ago. Just some people say things that I find need to be responded to in a certin manner.

would you care to share some of my posts that you find particuarly upsetting?.

I dont plan on giving you a reason but who knows, someone could strike a nerve

Tiard,

JS

Iron, I have Directv, too... I also have tivo, and a Panasonic plasma flat... Did you recently get it, and if so, did they give a 3Lnb or a 5Lnb dish?

I have some serious issues with Directv, and I may have to own them; the thing is, I have owned them so many times I feel guilty (they would move me up to level 2 or 3 immediately)...

They promised a 4mpeg(?) 5lmb dish, and they never came through... I want local channels in HD and they are denying me. I got a radio shack antenna now, and I am going on the roof tomorrow to install it...

I have all the answers... I am just venting. I should get the upgrade for free; maybe I will explain why another time...

Too much trouble to own them right now, though...

spank
    Spank,

have had Direct TV for years, with no upgrade whatsoever
    I like Direct TV, when it works (and it usually does), but I'll have to upgrade to what will work for HD...

thx

19's, 21's, and 23's are money.

Good luck with the golf.

JS

the more carefree I am at playing golf, the better I seem play, as long as I am relaxed and mindful about where I want the ball to go to. the more i get expectant about scoring lowest, less golf luck I seem to get. this maybe so obvious to you more experienced players, but I am slowing catching on: less muscle, less thinking; simpler shots, easier clubs.

Thread Information