|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

In the market for a new 3 wood

I'm looking at getting a new 3 wood. I currently play with a 15* Cleveland Launcher. Its great off the deck but I primarily use hybrids off the deck now and I am looking for more of an alternative off the tee.

The Callaway demo guy was at our local range and I hit the new Big Bertha (big is right) and X fairway wood. Hit both well and was probably leaning towards the X although the BB would probably be a great driving club (it's bigger than old drivers used to be).

The other club I am considering is the Mizuno F-50 as it is on special at a local store.

I'm a Cleveland fan but don't like the new Hi Bore range so I am looking at other alternatives.

Any thoughts on the above mentioned clubs or any other brands models that you recommend welcome.

Kiwi

well if you are specifically looking at an alternative club from the tee box and have no real intentions of hitting it off the deck then you should consider optimizing your distance by getting a TITANIUM faced 3 wood as opposed to the STEEL ones... this will do two things... it will reduce the amount of time the ball stays on the clubface therefore reducing side spin rates ( minimal but some none the less) as well as go farther.

I would not go with the BB line since they are having problems with faces caving in.... now the titatnium version may not have this problem.

mizuno f-50 is a great feeling head ( i have the steel 5) it's a little larger than i want for a fairway but it does it's job very well... i have no problem hitting it from the tee.

either choice is a good one: if i were going to recommend one i would go with cally for one simple reason; SHOULD ANYTHING GO "BAD" THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS SECOND TO NONE....

good luck
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Take a look at the Tour Edge Exotic and their 20yrds further guarantee.Awesome club

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Cleveland Launcher fairways. Small, shallow face, very inviting. May be intimidating to some though.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Sonartec NP-99 or other models. They are the best fairways on the market. They feel awesome and hitting them off the deck is easier as it has a low profile. Can be difficult to hit off a tee for some.

TmacG
    RCC Saskatchewan, Canada

Definitely give the Mizuno a try. I have the F-50 5 wood. It has a great feel and launches the ball well from most lies.
    TaylorMade Tour Burner TP 8.5* Aldila VooDoo VS7 X
    Titleist 904f 17* YS-7+ X
    TaylorMade rac MB 3-PW Dynamic Gold X100
    Cleveland CG12 52*, 56*, 60*
    TaylorMade Rossa Kia Ma Daytona 1

I would be looking at some of the deeper faced 3 woods if you're not looking to hit it off the turf. I have the Tour Edge Exotics and it's awesome from the turf, but not nearly as great off the tee as my Cally BBII. The 6 year old Cally reclaimed the spot in the bag.

BJ, your reading comprehension sucks. Kiwi already has the Launcher. Reading may not be your strong suit, but you are an expert vine swinger and poop tosser.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Omen's new iron set. Hard to tell, but they are grain flow forged from 84 Lumbar. Be careful Omen, these are true blades, they don't have that gay CUT MUSCLE cavity for forgiveness.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    Last edited by bjdrivers; 06-06-2007 at 06:24 AM.

Priceless ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I would be looking at some of the deeper faced 3 woods if you're not looking to hit it off the turf. I have the Tour Edge Exotics and it's awesome from the barn, but not nearly as forgiving off the tee as my Cally BBII Oversize. The 6 year old Cally reclaimed the spot in the bag because I'm unable to hit anything else.

BJ, your reading comprehension sucks. Kiwi already has the Launcher, and he can't hit it as well as you can. Reading may not be your strong suit, but you are an expert fairway wood player.
    Thanks BALLS.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    Thanks BALLS.
    Please highlight the changes you made to my quote next time. No one will pick up on the joke unless you draw some attention to it.
    Horseball, Moderator
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

okay you retards... he said he is specifically looking for something to hit off the tee... he isn't interested in the easiest thing to hit off the ground... he went to pansy ass bjdrivers hybrids (cg2's) so he wants something from the tee...

you guys make me look good.
    and bj what are you talking about new iron set????
    my whole 32's set doesn't manipulate as much weight as the "3" iron in your hybrid set now.... BOOYAH...
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

If your never going to hit it off the deck get Nike's Sasquatch 460 Sweet Sixteen and have the shaft shortened a bit. It'll basically be a three wood driver with a huge sweet spot. I'm not sure how workable this club is but it might be worth a shot.

You might have a hard time finding a stiff shaft but here's an example

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKE-GOLF-CLUB-S...QQcmdZViewItem

I absolutely LOVE my Taylormade r580 Titanium. I know you're looking for something specifically for the tee box. The r580 Ti is great off the tee, but equally so off the fairway too. Doesn't hurt to have some versatility since it suits your primary need.

If you want a deeper faced wood off the tee, the Cobra fairways are nice too. I can't get used to the sound myself, but others love it.

As another poster mentioned, the Tour Edge Exotics are supposed to be fantastic too, but I don't have any course experience with these.

Hope it helps and good luck...post what you end up getting.
    In My Bag (for now):
    Taylormade Burner TP 10.5*
    Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15*
    Tour Edge Exotics XCG 18*
    Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
    Vokey Raw 50*, Vokey SM 54*, Vokey SM 58*
    Yes! Tracy II
    Bridgestone B-330-S

Quote Originally Posted by DENNIS7180GOLF
    Priceless ! ! !
    Of all your posts this has been the longest.

TmacG- booyah
    RCC Saskatchewan, Canada

Callaway anything if you are looking to hit it off a tee all the time. all callaway clubs have a high profile and you cant miss.

TmacG
    RCC Saskatchewan, Canada

For those that can hit it. strong three woods are hard to hit for most.

I have a 14* Sonartec NP-99, now thats what i'm talking about!

TmacG
    RCC Saskatchewan, Canada

Cleveland Launcher fairways. Small, shallow face, very inviting. May be intimidating to some though.
    It is the small head on the Launcher that makes it great off the deck even out of light rough but I wonder if something bigger would be a little more forgiving and easier to use off the tee. I've compared it and the head on this 3 wood is smaller than most 7 woods!

I agree it's a sweet club when hit out of the middle though.

Quote Originally Posted by macmai
    I absolutely LOVE my Taylormade r580 Titanium. I know you're looking for something specifically for the tee box. The r580 Ti is great off the tee, but equally so off the fairway too. Doesn't hurt to have some versatility since it suits your primary need.

If you want a deeper faced wood off the tee, the Cobra fairways are nice too. I can't get used to the sound myself, but others love it.

As another poster mentioned, the Tour Edge Exotics are supposed to be fantastic too, but I don't have any course experience with these.

Hope it helps and good luck...post what you end up getting.
    The r580 is on special at the driving range too. Might take a closer look at it.

Thanks

I have hit about everything and my Callaway Great Big Bertha II is the best I have ever hit. All titanium and looks like a small driver. They were about $299 new but you can get them for under a $100 on ebay now. Easy to hit but still workable and LOOOONNNGGGG!!!!!
    Not the latest but still the greatest.

I see you have ditched the Hi Bore XL and gone back to the Ti 460. read your review.

I play the original Launcher 460. Played with a guy who had the Hi Bore and he gave me a hit with it. I didn't hit it well, it felt like cr@p and as you say it just looks plain weird/ugly.

There is nothing about it that would tempt me to part with any $$$ or exchange it for my Launcher.

Yeah I've upgraded my 580 Driver to a BURNER but I'm keeping my 580 3wood. It's awesome off the Tee and pretty good off the fairway. I think it or me sucks out of the rough though. I no longer even try to hit it out of the fluffy stuff.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

[QUOTE=bjdrivers]Omen's new iron set. Hard to tell, but they are grain flow forged from 84 Lumbar. Be careful Omen, these are true blades, they don't have that gay CUT MUSCLE cavity for forgiveness.

hey bj didn't know you practiced hitting your irons in your backyard. Don't be so embarrassed about it though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cleveland2.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	1827  

Quote Originally Posted by miket_81
    I have hit about everything and my Callaway Great Big Bertha II is the best I have ever hit. All titanium and looks like a small driver. They were about $299 new but you can get them for under a $100 on ebay now. Easy to hit but still workable and LOOOONNNGGGG!!!!!
    Not the latest but still the greatest.
    Cosign. Kiwi, this is the way to go. My GBBII has pretty much served as my driver for the past few years.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

[QUOTE=pyroaztec]
    Omen's new iron set. Hard to tell, but they are grain flow forged from 84 Lumbar. Be careful Omen, these are true blades, they don't have that gay CUT MUSCLE cavity for forgiveness.

hey bj didn't know you practiced hitting your irons in your backyard. Don't be so embarrassed about it though.
    That is certainly a rare pic of either colin montogmerie or phil mickelson. nice man boobs. I've seen better photoshop work before though.

it must be colin mick doesnt use shovels he uses callaway.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Cosign. Kiwi, this is the way to go. My GBBII has pretty much served as my driver for the past few years.
    Ya same here, I hit driver on 2-3 holes/9 on my course and the rest it's 3 wood. About 10-15 yards difference between 3-wood and driver 4 me. I out drive some guys drives with their driver with my 3 wood.

if you only want it for the tee box have you considered a weak 2 wood.

Also knowns as a strong 3 woods as mentioned above. thanks tips.

TmacG
    RCC Saskatchewan, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by neverman
    Yeah I've upgraded my 580 Driver to a BURNER but I'm keeping my 580 3wood. It's awesome off the Tee and pretty good off the fairway. I think it or me sucks out of the rough though. I no longer even try to hit it out of the fluffy stuff.
    Agreed, sucks rocks out of the rough. Never had a fairway that performed great out of the rough though...I would typically use my hybrid for that anywho.
    In My Bag (for now):
    Taylormade Burner TP 10.5*
    Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15*
    Tour Edge Exotics XCG 18*
    Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
    Vokey Raw 50*, Vokey SM 54*, Vokey SM 58*
    Yes! Tracy II
    Bridgestone B-330-S

Thread Information